SAINT MARY JAMAICA
Saint Mary, is a parish located in the north east section of Jamaica.
It is one of Jamaica's smallest parishes, located in the county of Middlesex.
Its chief town and capital is Port Maria, located on the coast.
St. Mary is located at latitude 18°09'N, longitude 77°03'W.
It is bordered by Portland in the east, St. Ann in the west, and parts of St. Catherine and St. Andrew in the south.
The parish covers an area of 610 sq km, making it Jamaica's fifth smallest parish.
The terrain is mountainous, rising up to almost 4000 feet at the highest point,
but there are no distinctive mountain ranges.
The climate is varied, like most parishes on the island.
The eastern section of the parish has shale rock and an intricate surface draining pattern,
while the western section is limestone with predominantly underground rivers.
There are three main rivers in Saint Mary; the Rio Nuevo River, Wag Water and White Rivers.
These rivers are often slow, and at times create swamps in the surrounding area.
There are a few traces of Taino/Arawak presence in the parish.
Saint Mary was also one of the first sections of the island to be occupied by the Spaniards.
Puerto Santa Maria, later Port Maria, was the second town the Spaniards built on the island.
In 1655, after the English captured Jamaica from the Spanish, the area around the north coast town of Santa Maria,
became known as St Mary, with the chief town called Port Maria
There are indications of strong resistance to slavery in the parish.
The Easter Rebellion led by Tacky in 1760, and the existence of the Maroons at Scotts Hall
showed that the parish was one of the most active in the fights for freedom
Its present size was determined in 1867, when the parish of Metcalfe was merged with St Mary.