One of the first Spanish settlements was also built at what is now Bluefields in this parish. The parish was named Westmoreland in 1703, because it was the most westerly point in the island. Savanna-la-Mar, a town by the coast, replaced Banbury as the capital in 1730.
The two national heroes, Sir Alexander Bustamante and Norman Washington Manley, emerged as political leaders during this time.
There are over 10,000 acres of morass land, the largest part of which is called the Great Morass. This contains plant and animal material collected over centuries. The morass can be mined as peat, an excellent source of energy, and it also serves as a natural sanctuary for Jamaican wildlife. The remaining area consists of several hills of moderate elevation, and alluvial plains along the coast.
Westmoreland is the westernmost parish in Jamaica, located on the south side of the island. It is situated to the south of Hanover, the southwest of Saint James, and the northwest of Saint Elizabeth, in the county of Cornwall. The chief town and capital is Savanna-la-Mar. Negril, a famous tourist destination, is also situated in the parish.
There are numerous rivers in the parish. The Cabaritta River, which is 39.7 kilometres long, drains the George's Plain and can accommodate boats weighing up to eight tons. Other rivers include the Negril River, New Savanna, Morgan's, Gut, Smithfield, Bowens, Bluefields, Robins, Roaring, Great and Dea