Theatre Specialist John Hagen
Theatre Specialist John Hagen
Expertise in Stage Direction, Orchestral Conducting, Operatic/Musical Baritone, Set Designing, Lighting and Sound Designing, Stage Managing, Arts Education Consulting, Children's Theatre Direction, and Vocal Coaching.
145 Kuupua St.
Kailua, HI 96734
Cell Phone: 808-218-8510
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
- Demonstrated ability to develop and oversee musical and theatrical programs based on the needs and desires of the leadership and community.
- Over 30 years experience in all aspects of theatrical and musical arts, that is Conducting, Classical Music, Opera, Musical Theatre, Operetta, Dance, Drama, Production (Lighting/Sound/Stage), Set Design and Prop Construction.
- Strong background in Opera Production.
- Ability to inspire the best from colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team leader as well as Lead.
- Dedicated to the performance process.
- Successful in working with both Professionals and Volunteers.
- Experience with Light Boards (Strand, Luxtrol, Double Fade, and ETC Computerized).
- Experience with Sound Boards (Mackie, Tapco) and Wireless microphones.
- Working knowledge in Theater Pyrotechnics.
- Teacher of the Art of Stage Managing.
- Have staged many productions in the Seattle area as well as in Hawaii.
- Designer of Sets, Lights, and Sound.
- Have worked at the Seattle Opera House, Moore Theater, Everett Historical Theater, Lee Theater, The Showboat, Meany Theater, etc.
- Extremely creative in solving difficult problems.
- Bachelor of Music in Voice Performance,
Minors in Drama and Dance,
University of Hawaii
- Graduate Studies in Voice, Opera Performance, Instrumental and Choral
University of Washington
- Master of Arts in Music,
Seattle Pacific University
- Certifide Digital Recording Technician
- Charlene Chadwick-Cullen - Voice
- Vince Liotta - Opera Production
- Ralph Rosenbum - Opera Production
- Wisa D'Orso - Choreography (Modern)
- Jim Hutchinson - Choreography (Modern)
- Sasa - Choreography (Ballet)
- Abraham Kaplan - Choral Conducting
- Wilhelm Sokol - Instrumental Conducting
- Joseph Levine - Instrumental Conducting
- Hermann Reutter - German Lieder
- Hedwig von Trapp - General Music
EMPLOYMENT / CURRENT WORK HISTORY
Peter Pan: Director/Set Designer/Construction
- Private Voice/Piano Instructor. (Current)
- Chorus Director at Mokapuu Elementary School. (Current)
- Vocal Instructor/Clinician for World Talent. (Current)
- College Instructor for Music Performance at Tokai University. (Current)
- Theatre Technician for Cirque Hawaii. (Sept-Nov. 2006)
- Stage/Music Director, Sound Engineer for "HONK" - Madrona Children's Theatre, March (2006)
- Technical Director for "Moby Dick: The Musical" - Seattle School District, May (2006)
- Technical Director for "Grease" - Mukilteo School District - May (2006)
- Lead Baritone, Gianni Schicci, in Puccini's Opera "Gianni Schicci". (Sept. 2005)
- Stage Manager for Skagit Valley Opera's production of "The Pirates of Penzance" (Aug-Oct. 2005)
- Theatre Technician Specialist at IKEA PAC, Renton School District (June-Current)
- Overhire Carpenter for The Empty Space Theatre (Aug. 2005)
- Tech Director for one woman show at The Odd Duck Studio (Aug. 2005)
- Stage Manager for the Gilbert and Sullivan Seattle Society's production of the Operetta "Patience" at the Seattle Rep Theatre (March/July 2005)
- Musical/Orchestral Conductor for Renton Civic Theatre's production of "Camelot" (May/June 2005)
- Stage/Tech Director for Issaquah HS production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (March/May 2005)
- Stage Manager for The Skagit Valley Opera's production of "The Magic Flute" (Nov.-Feb.2005)
- Stage Director/Tech Director for Issaquah HS production of "Kiss me Kate" (Jan-March 2005)
- Producer/Mentor for Issaquah High School production of the Students One Acts (Jan 2005)
- Baritone lead in Menotti'e Opera "The Old Maid and the Thief" (Sept. 2004)
- Stage Manager: Gilbert & Sullivan Society's production of "HMS Pinafore"-Seattle Repertory Theater (April-June 2004)
- Lighting Designer: "Heaven Can Wait"-Driftwood Playhouse- Edmonds (June 2004)
- Music Director: "The Fantasticks"-Renton Civic Theatre (March-June 2004)
- Light Hang/Design: Bellevue Children's Theatre (June 2004)
- Technical Director/Set/Lighting Designer-Issaquah Highschool
- "The Dining Room" (May 2004)
(Set Designer/Tech Director)
- "My Fair Lady" (March 2004)
- "One Acts" (Jan. 2004)
- Placed Second at the NATS Convention in Classical Voice (March 2004)
- Stage Manager for Vivien Straus' "Getting it Wrong" at The Hugo Playhouse: Seattle Fringe Theater Festival (Sept. 2003)
- Actor for Independent Film Short: German Officer (Sept. 2003)
- Singer/Baritone: Tonton "Once on this Island" (Sept. 2003)
- Master Carpenter for Seattle Mae West Festival and Broadway Bound Children's Theater (July 2003)
- Stage Manager for Gilbert and Sullivan Society's production of "The Gondoliers" (July) at Seattle Repertory Theater.
- Technical Directer for "Sex in Seattle: Episode 7" at The Hugo Playhouse (July 2003)
- Technical Director for Issaquah HS: "Rumors" (May)
- "Grease" (March)
- Student One-Acts (Jan.)
- "See How They Run" (Nov. 2003)
(Set Design/Tech Director)
- "Coastal Disturbances" (Nov.)
- Stage Director for "Rumors" (May) Issaquah HS
- Technical Director for "Sex in Seattle:Episode 6" (April and July) at The Hugo Playhouse.
- Technical Director for "Dancing With Lughnasa" (Jan.)at The Everett Historical Theater.
- Technical Director/Scenic Designer for "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever"(Dec.) at The Bathhouse Theater.
- Spot Operator for te Civic Light Opera's production of "The Desert Song" (Oct.)
- Fine Arts Department Chair / Music Instructor
Aug. 2000 - 2002
The Villa Academy
- Teaching Duties: Beginning/Advanced Bands, Music Grades 4-8, MS Chorus and Select Choir, Advanced String and Wind Ensemble, After-school Drama Club.
- Department Chair Duties:
Oversee Fine Arts Program including fiscal management of budgets.
Work with Development Office on Fund Raising for Fine Arts.
Create and maintain an After-school Private Instruction Program, which includes Piano, Strings, Voice, and Reeds/Winds.
- Developed a more efficient time-share program for all Fine Arts use of the Rainbow Theater complex.
- Supervised the development of the Fine Arts Mission Statement.
Conductor for "SUGAR" at the Everett Historical Theatre.
Contract - Nov., 99 - Feb., 00 (12 Performances)
"PIRATES OF PENZANCE" - Role: The Pirate King
Contract - July, 99 - Oct., 99 (20 Performances)
Anacortes Community Theatre
Pirate King in "Pirates of Penzance"
Director of Performing Arts / Music and Drama
1992 - 2000
Lee Theatre (300 Seats)
Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart
Staged two main stage productions each year: 1 Musical, 1 Straight.
Designed Lighting and Sound for all productions.
Designed and built sets for all productions.
Developed entire Music Program to its completion: 4 Choirs (Winners of 5 awards
and trophies), Music Class Curriculum, Drama Program, Orchestra, and
Production classes in Lighting, Sound, and Stage Design.
The Wizard of Oz: Stage/Music Director, Set Designer/Construction
Drama Instructor (PT)
Moore Theatre (160 seats)
Sacred Heart School
Staged 2 main stage Straight plays each year.
Oversaw the installation of a Strand 16 Channel Computerized Lighting Board and 16 channel Mackie Sound Board.
Stage Director for "Ruddigore" by Gilbert and Sullivan
Contract - August, 98' - October, 98'
NW Savoyards, Everett, WA
Music Director for "Music Man"
Contract - May, 97' - August, 97'
Issaquah Summerstock, WA
Music Director for "Fiddler On the Roof"
Contract - May, 96'- August, 96'
Issaquah Summerstock, WA
Oklahoma: Set Designer/Construction
PRODUCTIONS STAGED (Opera, Operetta, Musical)
- Ruddigore (Operetta)
- The Impresario (Opera)
- La Serva Padrona (Opera)
- Double Trouble (Opera)
- The Stoned Guest (Opera)
- Gallery (Opera)
- Mary Poppins Pops In (Musical)
- Mozart and Salieri (Opera)
- The Secret Garden (Musical) (2 times)
- The Hobbit (Musical)
- The Wizard of Oz (Musical)
- The Mikado (Operetta)
- HMS Pinafore (Operetta)
- Oliver (Musical) (3 times)
- The Marriage Contract (Opera)
- The Sound of Music (Musical)
- The Pajama Game (Musical)
- Alice In Wonderland (Musical)
- Cinderella (Musical)
- Gianni Schicchi (Opera)
- Ring Around Harlequin (Opera)
- The Telephone (Opera)
- The Saint of Bleecker Street (Opera)
- Pirates of Penzance (Operetta)
- Gilbert and Sullivan, a la Carte
- Scrooge (Musical)
- Hansel and Grethel (Operetta) Note: My composition
- In His Hands (Musical)... and many more
PRODUCTIONS STAGED (Straight)
- The Hobbit
- Oliver Twist (2 times)
- Peter Pan ( 3 times)
- The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
- The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland
- Ann of Green Gables
- The Honorable Urashimo Taro
- Dragon of the Winds
- Tom Sawyer
- The Prince and the Pauper
- The Mouse That Roared
- Puss n'Boots
- The Jungle Book
- James and the Giant Peach
- Dr. Doolittle
- Treasure Island
- The Time Machine
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
- The Snow Queen
- Robin Hood
- Wind in the Willows
- The Ransom of Red Chief
- The York Nativity Play
- Charlotte's Web
- The Spell of Sleeping Beauty
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
- The Fantastic Mr. Fox
- The Dolls of Poplar House...and many more
PRODUCTIONS MUSIC DIRECTED
- The Music Man
- Fiddler On the Roof
- The Sound of Music
- The Wizard of Oz
- Ring Around Harlequin
- Oliver (3 times)
- The Secret Garden (2 times)
- Gianni Schicchi
- Mozart and Salieri
- Hansel and Grethel
- HMS Pinafore
- Pirates of Penzance
- The Mikado
- The Telephone
- The Marriage Contract
- The Saint of Bleecker Street
- The Stoned Guest
- In His Hands
- Clowns (3 times)
- Hansel and Grethel....and many more
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves: Director and Set Designer/Construction
- Founder and Director of Opera Players of Washington.
- Toured educational Operatic productions in both Hawaii and Washington.
- Dance/Choreography including Modern, Ballet, Russian, Folk, Thai, Korean,
- Director and/or Conductor of many productions for all ages over the past 25 years.
- Church Music Director and Cantor with over 25 years of experience.
- Voice teacher, Italian School, for over 15 years.
- Performer, Director, Conductor, Stage Manager, Lighting and Sound Designer, Technical Director, Set Designer and Construction for many Theatrical productions in Hawaii and the Greater Seattle Area.
- Choral groups under my Direction have won performance trophies both first and second division.
- Well acquainted with Windows 2000, PageMaker, Print Shop Deluxe, Finale, and Music Time.
- Dr. Vernon Wicker
Seattle Pacific Univ.
Fine Arts Bldg.
3307 - 3rd Ave. W
Seattle, WA 98119
- Ms. Sharon Tyers
Director of Pine Lake Ballet Company
26421 SE Duthie Hill Rd.
Iss., WA 98029
- Ron Wohl
Skagit Valley Opera
- Mike Gallagher
- Mike Storie
- Loren Reynolds
Renton Civic Theatre
- Ralph Eaton
The Hobbit: Director/Designer
"Builder of Smaug"
Sound of Music: Director/Conductor