Giving your Money Plant a Big Growth †††††††††† Choosing Your Right Crystal Quartz Sphere > >>
Also known as the EverGreen locally, the Money plant (Pothos) is an easy to grow climber plant. Commonly available for sales and even in parks, the Money plant is a growerís choice for both indoor and outdoor in larger pots or hangover. Money plant was initially being signified as a plant of wealth and vitality because of its leave being constantly green. However was gradually replaced by lucky bamboo and money tree as grower craft out different patterns by twisting the trunks to represent auspicious. Another cause for Money plant (Evergreen) being ranked lower in choice is that it the juice (sap) is poisonous if consumed and some people gets allergic when touching it. Unless you deliberate eat the leaves which should taste horrible (donít ever try it), the money plant does fit into a good house plant.
As compared to other green plant, the leaves of money plant are rather long lasting. With ample watering and fertilizer, each leaf will last more than a month. Even more surprising is the plant can be grown in either water or soil, just like the lucky bamboo. However soil grown cannot be ported to water and vice versa. Reason being money plant has typically 3 forms of roots. One for grasping during a climb, the other two is either water adapted roots or soil roots. If you were to pot the soil grown plant into water, the roots will die off and likewise the other way round. Nevertheless, money plant has the ability to grow new roots to meet the environment.
This page will give info on Potting between Water and Soil, Fertilizer and Application, Die Off Effect, Training the Plant to Climb, Keeping the Plant Tidy, Does Plants Growth Signifies Luck, Pest Problem, Environment Care and Pesticide Usage,
Potting Between Water and Soil
There is no easier way to do this than cutting a fresh section and put cut end into the water container, ideally to cut the entire section to the growth tip. Water grown money plant will be smaller and slander as compared to soil grown.
The first two weeks will require constant changing of water as some die off may occurs causing water foul. As the new aquatic root grow, the water will remain clear.
Money Plant can use almost any type of common fertilizer, from pellets to liquid. Ideally should be nitrate base as it is not a flowering plant, although it will flower only in the wild. I donít recommend fertilizer for flowering plant as they tend to cause yellowing of the leave.
Weak solution of liquid fertilizer can be added into the water while pellet are added to soil. I have tried liquid fertilizer, pellets and even processed chicken waste. However I preferred liquid form for short term dosage and pellet for long term in case you forget.
How many Times Do I Feed the Plant
Important! Ė Never add fertilizer to newly cut plants or after trimming. Doing so can be very damaging to the plant.
Important! Ė Never add fertilizer under strong sunlight as this can cause root and leave burn. Do it in late evening.
Notes Ė Only fertilizer that is specific for foliage (leave) spray can be dose onto the leave, failing to comply can cause serious leave burns. Most liquid fertilizers are for root dose.
Different way of adding fertilizer and the type of content dosing yield different looks of the plant. For those who simply want to water only, pellet fertilizer will do and adding new pellets every two to three months for slow release fertilizer. This method of dosage will generally produce a small to medium growth, nothing peculiar.
Adding pellet fertilizer requires certain technique. Plants do not favor from your generous offering, simply scatter a few pellets (not a cluster) around the plant will be fine. Do not let the pellet touch the leave or stem as they will cause serious burns.
1. Watering with weak dose of liquid fertilizer (1/10th) constantly (every 2 days) will create a large growth in leave. This method is suitable if you want a large pot of plant. (see picture).
2. Some may want to have bigger leave. You canít compare the size of the smaller species with the outdoor ones by size but irregardless of the small or the large species, the result are alike by ratio. Dissolving (pounding) black organic fertilizer in water before pouring into soil. Important to pour only the black water and not the residue and avoid spilling the water onto leave as it will cause burn marks.
Do this every 3 days for 2 weeks and the leaves will become very big after fortnight. Using liquid fertilizer will yield similar but does not create the biggest leaf effect. The effect stops the moment you stop feeding.
3. Liquid fertilizer with hormone additive such as 21-21-21 Nitrogen-Posphorus-Potassium will speed up grown and revitalized weak plant. Remember to start with lower dosage (50%) for the first 7 day for weak plant. Just like human, a recovering person should receive gradual dose of tonic before the body can adjust to it. My plants are currently using this type of fertilizer.
Money Plant Dies Off
I have seen this more on plant grown on supported poles rather than hanging. For plant grown on supported poles, owners will need to cut off overgrown section and this will result in the existing ones to age and die; resulting in a bare plant. Fortunately, money plant has strong abilities to grow shoot. Simply trim off the leave and expose the plant to sunlight, the existing branch will growth a new section while the old one die off; like layering a new growth over the old one. Spraying weak solution of leave fed fertilizer will speed things up. But you will need sunlight
The money plant on the right is actually the second layer from the first which I last bought 3 years ago. Some of the leaves are actually quite big. The wall and piping was repainted months back and the paint used probably contain inhibiting agent. The plant no long cling to the wall leaving marks behind, so I donít have to cut so often.
Training the Money Plant to Climb
When you admire those nice money plant growing on the pole and you wondered why yours wonít. Thatís because you either use the wrong type of pole medium or you did not training the plant to clinch to it. Wooden or plastic pole warp with husk are suitable medium. The width of the pole is important as it affect how many plant can cling on it, creating a nicely distribution. You can buy these from the nursery. Remember to buy bigger and deeper pot if the pole is tall to prevent tilting and remember to cater space for soil and plant to sit in.
If you have just bought few smaller pots of money plant (generally you need to buy a few), simply re-pot them around the pole. Once the new plant has grown new shoots or longer (about 2-3 weeks), you can tie the plant close to pole, making sure the stem touches the pole in certain sections. You need not stick the stem flat.
Water both the soil and the wooden pole. Wet the pole occasionally to encourage growth. It will take another 3 weeks or so before the plant will cling with new clasping roots. As the plant grows longer, tie them further up till it reaches the top progressively. Be patient, your plant will gradually reach the top, some how. Spraying foliage fed liquid fertilizer onto pole helps. Once the plant has fully clung onto the pole, you can cut of the string that you have tied the plant.
Now that you Money plant have grown, you have another problem. The plant keeps growing out of space and is how drilling downward to the ground. At this point, either you cut them or a better way is to tie them or somehow anchor them (entangle) them up. Initially, the pot may not have enough growth for you to entangle the new shoots back, so use a string and train them to cling onto the pole. Once you have completely run out of space on the pole, then you entangle them lay by layer light running Christmas light bulbs on the tree. Off course this is a long process but suddenly, you found that your plant has grown so much. Normally, you donít see this scenario indoor or water cultures as money plant grows pretty slow indoor.
Now with the layering, next is to keep the lower layer leaves alive since the sunlight is block by overgrowth. Spraying with foliage fed fertilizer helps keep things alive but trimming some leaves from the outer layer to shed some lights in.
Will Good Plant Growth Brings Luck
There is some mentioning that a house with good plant growth is auspicious with wealth and some houses are not suitable for planting. What goes there dies there.
There are explanations for this phenomenal. Plants need good spectrum lights especially sunlight.
1. Apartments that are out of the sun all year long will naturally be a desert. So if you happen to buy a bat cave, install strong warm down light to sun your plant for at least 5 hrs daily. Use timer controller. No matter what type of bulb you put in, you cannot compare with sunlight.
2. Selecting the wrong type of plant is another reason; some plants need to be cool, so placing this type of plant under hours of sun kills them.
3. Fertilizer and soil are important. Most nursery potted plant uses little and lose soil for lighter transportation. When you purchase your plant, remember to top up the soil. Fertilizer is important; plants do need nutrients to live.
4. Your neighborís bare plant is probably due to the lack of understanding to the species. Some species like palm and money plant donít replace drop leave quickly like normal house plant. Cutting off too many leave can be a mistake.
5. Over or under watering. It takes mistake and learning process to gauge the amount of water required for the plant. Soil dry and wet is an important process for the roots to breath. If you think simply by watering you plant every 3 days when the plant wilt at the end of the day is fine. Then that plant is not suitable. Keep a large potted plant instead.
6. Lost interest is a common reason. New house owners buy lots of plant for dťcor but grown tired of them like pets. Your plant needs grooming too. Certain plants shed their leave once a while, so donít simply throw them away.†
7. If whatever plant you put in that pot dies in a week or so, replace the entire soil. The reasonable cause for this is soil contamination or has been overdose with fertilizer previously. Donít risk further by mixing with new soil, just dispose them properly.
Problem and Pest that Money Plant Gets
Money Plant (Evergreen/ Pothos) do get unwelcome guest. Ants, mosquitoes and juice sucking pest do patronize the plants because of the shelter, water space and for food. I do occasionally use water based household insect spray like Sheltox to get rid of occasional ants and mosquito problem. For pest, you will need to use pesticides.
Generally, Money plant is very robust and little pest but it gets a lot leave shades and damp soil, small flying insect tends to see seek shelter. So occasional pesticide application once to twice a month will fixed the problem. Root rot is rare as money plants are tolerant short period of over watering.
†This juice sucking pest causes
permanent leave damages to my lime plant
1. Being considerate is important to happy planting where neighbors share the admiring of your plant. For those living in shared corridor, ensure your plants are not in the way. Trim constantly and avoid buy plants with thorns. If you are blocking more than 50% of the walkway, too much already.
2. Why is it important for you house plant not to take up too much walk space? Some plants like Chinese bamboo have sharp leaves; they will leave small cuts to the skin creating inflammation simply by brushing through. Remember, that some people are allergic to juice of the plant (Sap) like money plant. Spare a thought for health.
3. If you canít trim your plant because you want it to grow big, consider buying green sticks to straighten you plant. Alternatively, you can use 3M command hook with removal tape to temporary tie your plant in the opposite direction for 1 month or more. The plants will stay in that position after that.†
Hibiscus plant being pull by the string attached to 3M command detectable hook so that it can growth straight. Using the command hook leaves not double sided mark after use.
4. A mosquito breeding ground is one problem. Pot tray stall water and mosquitoes breed. Always remember to pour away residual water or simply donít use them. If you must, buy granular pesticide and place in the tray. For those who grow plant in vase, use granular pesticide will be effective. Do note that mosquitoes are attracted to damp places even if they donít know that you have pesticide. So if you do not wish to donate blood to them; trim the plant and keep the surrounding dry.
5. Avoid using fish based fertilizer, it smells even though the manufacture claims not.
6. Sweep off drop leave. Decay will leave stains on the floor.
7. Placing and hanging potted plants near porch and windows are very dangerous (extremely), hazardous and even fatal should one falls of. One must avoid placing plants at aircon compressor. When wind hits the building wall, it can get much stronger then you expected. People tend to assume that the item is light but did not cater for acceleration as item falls. In Singapore, injury caused to other by failing objects will be fined or jailed. Newspaper reported that a failing paper tube knock out a man below.
I feel that for house plant keeper, learning to prepare and use pesticide solution is necessary. Few plants will come clean, especially the large potted ones. I have seen people throwing away their plants because it has ants or creepy crawlies or killing the plant with household insecticides spray meant for cockroach. Plants do get fungus like human feet but much rarer. Nevertheless, do equip with such knowledge in case your plant does get fungus.
Actually, using pesticide occasional can keep your environment cleaner from unnecessary insects. The following steps and info will help you prepare the necessary item for pesticide. I have used pesticide for years and with proper handling/dispose and hand washing, it can be safely managed.
There are those who recommended using light soap or environment friendlier methods. I have no comment on them nor ever tried. If you really need to use household insect spray, there are those water based type like Sheltox water based. I use them with success but not on small plants.
Not all pesticide and fungicide are safe for plant meant to be eaten. So read the label carefully especially on the post application harvest period. So donít simply start spraying on your tomato plant. The following section assumes that you are using it for your house non edible plant only.
1. Both pesticide and fungicide are poison, so handle with care and store them out of reach of children and mentally weak people. Educate your children to be wary of poison. I have read in a newspaper that a primary science student trying to know why pesticide kills drank one and got killed. I store the chemical wrap in newspaper and plastic bag just in case of spills and lock up.
2. Get a pump spray can from your local nursery that specifies the volume in litre. Pump spray can give a denser dose as compare to misting can. And you can control the spray density by turning the spray head.
3. I recommend getting a pair of gloves and always wash your glove and hands with soap properly after handing the chemicals (after preparing and after use). Dispose the left over in the bath room sewer and NOT drain or kitchen sink.
4. Never ever prepare pesticide/fungicide near kitchen and your food/water. Preventive against contamination and poisoning.
5. Pesticide/Fungicide in powder form is cleaner to prepare and less smelly but leaves white residue on the plant. I prefer liquid ones. Some allow mixing both pesticide and fungicide together. Read the labels.
6. There are those pre-mixed spray sold on the shelf. I donít like it as I have bad experience with them, especially the oil base ones.
7. Normally, I would mix either the manufacturerís recommended concentration or slightly lower concentration for small and sensitive plants. Never mixed a higher concentration as it can cause turn the plant weak.
8. Always close your windows so that the chemical donít contaminate your house interior, especially aquarium. And spray wisely; go with the wind direction and NOT against. You are spraying the plant, not yourself.
9. Move the plant outside the house before spraying. Donít spray inside the house. Once itís dry, move them back. Indoor plant does not get pest easily so you donít need to carry them too often. Please donít start kissing your plant.
10. Spray on the soil, top and bottom of the leave.
11. If you suspect that the potted plant have ant nest, you can soak the pot onto a bucket of pesticide. Expect the ants to run out of the soil and that is where you can spray with the pesticide. If your pot is too big, pour the pesticide solution into the soil, make sure the entire pot is wet and solution run out of the pot.
Important: Do not reuse bucket with pesticide for other purpose other than watering your plant. Residue gets trapped in the plastic material as well.
12. Never spray pesticide/fungicide under sunlight as it will cause burns to the plant. Do it very early or late evening.
13. Finally, change your clothing and wash your hands, face and legs after spraying. This step is safety important.
With such simple steps, your plants will be free from pest. [Some Questions about Planting]
Written By: Darren Y ( 20 Septí 2005, Singapore)