Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

State Road No. 3 Inland Empire Highway

(trunk)

State Road No. 3 Inland Empire Highway began at Jct State Road No. 2 Sunset Highway at Virden (later shifted to Teanaway) and headed in a southeasterly direction along the Yakima River to Ellensburg. From Ellensburg, this highway continued southerly along the Yakima via the Yakima River canyon to Yakima. From Yakima, the Inland Empire Highway continued down the Yakima Valley via Sunnyside and Prosser to Kennewick. The Inland Empire Highway crossed the Columbia River between Kennewick and Pasco and the Snake between Pasco and Burbank. From Burbank, the highway headed southeasterly to Walla Walla, then northeasterly via Dayton to Dodge. A branch of State Road No. 3 headed easterly from Dodge to Pomeroy and Clarkston. The trunk continued northeasterly from Dodge via the Central Ferry bridge to Colfax. From Colfax, the Inland Empire Highway headed north via Rosalia to Spokane. State Roads 2 and 3 shared the same roadway for several blocks through the city. From Spokane, the Inland Empire Highway headed northerly via Colville, ending at the Canadian border at Laurier.

When the US Highway numbering system was created in 1926, the Virden/Teanaway to Yakima section of the Inland Empire Highway was designated as part of US 97. Both US 97 and US 410 followed the Inland Empire Highway from Yakima to Buena. US 410 continued along the Inland Empire Highway from Buena to Dodge. From Dodge to Colfax, the Inland Empire Highway became US 295, from Colfax to Spokane, part of US 195. In Spokane, just as different state routes shared the same roadway in the center of town, US 195 and US 10 followed the same roadway for several blocks. Heading north from Spokane to the Canadian border, the Inland Empire Highway became US 395.

In 1937, legislation changed the designation of State Road No. 3 to Primary State Highway 3.

Dodge-Asotin Branch

The Dodge to Asotin branch of State Road No. 3 Inland Empire Highway began at the junction with the Inland Empire Highway trunk at Dodge and headed easterly via Pomeroy to Clarkston, then southerly, ending at Asotin. A spur of this branch extended east within Clarkston to the bridge crossing the Snake River to Lewiston ID. In 1926, the section from Dodge to Clarkston and the spur from Clarkston to Lewiston became part of US 410. This branch was redesignated as the Dodge-Clarkston branch of Primary State Highway 3 in 1937. As part of this redesignation the highway was extended south to the Oregon state line to connect with Oregon State Route 3.

Wallula Branch

The Wallula Branch of State Road No. 3 Inland Empire Highway began at the junction with the Inland Empire Highway trunk at Wallula Junction and headed southwesterly along the south shore of the Columbia River into Oregon. This highway became part of US 730 in 1926. The designation in state law was changed from State Road No. 3 to Primary State Highway 3 in 1937.

Walla Walla Branch

The Walla Walla Branch of State Road No. 3 Inland Empire Highway began at the junction with the Inland Empire Highway trunk in Walla Walla and headed southerly to the Oregon state line. A state highway in Oregon continued southwesterly via Milton and Freewater (later merged into one city) to Pendleton. This branch of State Road No. 3 was redesignated in state law as a branch of Primary State Highway 3 in 1937.

Colfax-Pullman Branch

The Colfax-Pullman Branch of State Road No. 3 Inland Empire Highway was added to the state highway system in 1925. This route began at a junction with the trunk of the Inland Empire Highway in Colfax and headed southerly to Pullman, then east to the Idaho state line with connections to Moscow. In 1926, the Colfax to Pullman section of this branch became part of US 195. State law redesignated State Road No. 3 as Primary State Highway 3 in 1937.

Inland Empire Highway-Eastern Division

Although this route shared the name Inland Empire Highway with State Road No. 3, this route was not numbered State Road No. 3 but was instead unnumbered. The route began at the Idaho state line a few miles north of Lewiston and headed north-northwesterly to Pullman, then north-northeasterly to Palouse, then north- nprthwesterly via Garfield and Oakesdale, ending at a junction with the trunk of the Inland Empire Highway just south of Rosalia. In 1926, the Idaho to Pullman section of the Inland Empire Highway-Eastern Division became part of US 195. When the designation of the state highway system in state law was changed in 1937, the Inland Empire Highway-Eastern Division from the Idaho state line to Pullman was redesignated as the Pullman to Idaho branch of Primary State Highway 3. The Pullman to Rosalia section became Primary state Highway 3-Eastern Route of the Inland Empire Highway

Other pages:

Interstate Routes US Routes State Routes
Primary State Hwys Secondary State Hwys
State Roads 1923-37
Home Page