The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul and Railroad decided to expand from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest in the early 1900s. The Pacific Northwest line was completed about 1913. The bridge at Beverly was a key link in that line. After the expansion was completed, the railroad's name was changed to the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad. The popular name is Milwaukee Road.
In hindsight, the railroad's decision to expand to the Pacific Northwest was unwise. The line was the last transcontinental route to the Pacific Northwest. It did not receive federal land grants as had the Northern and Union Pacifics. It was not as well managed as the Great Northern. The Milwaukee road did not pass through the maojor cities and towns served by the Great Northern and Northern Pacific. The Panama Canal opened shortly after the completion of the Milwaukee Road's Pacific Northwest line, cutting into the bulk shipment business formerly handled exclusively by railroad.The Milwaukee Road ran into financial difficulties in the 1930s. Business picked up in the 40s. In the 1960s there was talk of merging the Milwaukee Road with the Union Pacific but the merger never took place. In 1979, the Milwaukee Road declared bankrupcy and went out of business. The Burlington Northern bought the Snoqualmie Pass section but sold it after a few years. Most of the Milwaukee Road mainline across the state was abandoned. The state government now owns most of the right-of-way. Mich of the former railroad route has been converted into Iron Horse state Park and the John Wayne Trail. The bridge at Beverly is close to all traffic at this time, however.
The photo was taken from a point in Beverly SE of the bridge in May 2003.
Primary State Hwys Secondary State Hwys