College Scholarship Plan
Agree that club will pay on behalf of the Player certain expenses under the Professional Baseball College Scholarship Plan
, as specified herein, in connection with Player's attendance at an accredited college of his choice for a maximum of ___________ semesters, not to exceed $_____________________ in any one semester. This College Scholarship Plan
is hereby made part of the parties' Uniform Player Contract
, which may not be altered in any manner.
SEMESTERS If Player is enrolled as a full-time student in a college on the quarter system, he shall be allowed two-thirds of the semester allowance in each quarter for covered expenses. If Player is enrolled as a full-time student in a bi-semester or tri-semester system, he shall be allowed the full amount of the semester allowance in each semester for covered expenses.
COVERED PAYMENTS: (reimbursable amount based on actual expenses)
Payments of up to the maximum amount per semester shall be made if Player is:
- Enrolled in a full-time course (minimum of ten credit hours if on a quarter system; or twelve credit hours if on a bi-semester or tri-semester system) at an accredited college or university.
- Enrolled part-time (minimum of five credit hours if on a quarter system; or six credit hours if on a bi-semester or tri-semester system) at an accredited college or university in pursuit of an undergraduate degree. Any such part-time enrollment shall be approved by the Commissioner in advance of registration. The Commissioner shall reduce the maximum allowable reimbursement for the semester on a pro-rata basis for each credit hour taken in a part-time enrollment, based on a twelve hour semester system.
(reimbursable amount based on actual expenses)
The expenses for which College Scholarship Plan payments may be applied shall be limited to the cost of tuition, textbooks, fees, except scholarship payments may also be used for room and board if the Player does not live at home. If Player resides off campus, he shall be reimbursed, through his college, if possible, to the extent he would have been charged for on campus residence. Player shall receive a living allowance not to exceed $15.00 per day.
NON-COVERED EXPENSES: In no case shall Player be reimbursed for: transportation to and from college, automobile parking charges, medical insurance or infirmary charges, laundry or garment cleaning, clothing, umbrellas, furniture, lamps, calculators, book bags, computer hardware or software, typewriters, etc.
WHEN CLUB RELIEVED of PAYMENTS: Unconditional release of Player or his placement on the Military List shall not relieve Club of the obligation to make College Scholarship Plan payments. The Club shall, however, be relieved of such obligation should Player:
LIABILITIES FOR PAYMENT:
- Fail to commence his studies within two years of his last day of active professional playing service.
- Commence his studies during his professional playing career and fail to attend college within two consecutive years after Player's last day of professional playing service. Participation by Player in Instructional League or Winter League play shall constitute the only reason for tolling the time limitation.
- Commence his studies under the College Scholarship Plan within two years of his last day of professional playing service, and fail to attend college within two consecutive years of his most recent college enrollment.
- Be placed on the ineligible list.
The original signatory Club shall continue to make the Plan payments even if the Player's contract is selected by, or assigned to, another Club; provided, however, that, in case of assignment otherwise than by selection or on waiver claim, the assignee Club may agree, through a statement set forth in the assignment agreement, to undertake to make any payments which accrue subsequent to the date of such assignment.
ADMINISTRATION: The College Scholarship Plan shall be supervised by the Commissioner, or by an administrator appointed by him, and all payments made under the Plan shall be made by the Commissioner or by such administrator, but the Club liable for payments in accordance with the above paragraph shall reimburse the Commissioner's Office promptly upon receipt of billing to cover such payments. All payments under the Plan shall, where possible, be made to the college attended by the Player.
COORDINATION OF BENEFITS BETWEEN THE INCENTIVE BONUS PLAN AND THE COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP PLAN: In the event the Player has never before signed an approved contract and his Uniform Player Contract contains both an Incentive Bonus Plan and a College Scholarship Plan, the following coordination of benefits shall apply:
- The extent that Player earns benefits under the Incentive Bonus Plan, and has previously been paid benefits under the College Scholarship Plan shall be deducted from any amount due under the Incentive Bonus Plan. Any remaining balance earned by a Player, in excess of benefits received under the College Scholarship Plan, shall be paid directly to the Player.
- To the extent that Player becomes eligible to receive benefits under the College Scholarship Plan, and has previously been paid benefits under the Incentive Bonus Plan, such benefits received under the Incentive Bonus Plan shall be deducted from any amount due under the College Scholarship Plan. Any remaining balance due to the Player, in excess of the benefits received under the Incentive Bonus Plan shall be paid directly to the Player or the college.
It is intent of this coordination of benefits that, to the extent earned, the cumulative benefits received under either the College Scholarship Plan
or the Incentive Bonus Plan
will offset any cumulative amounts due under the other Plan.
(Authorized Club Official)