The present church, initially known as ‘The Cameron Highlands Church’, was erected in 1958. The committee then comprised Capt. H.F. Bloxham (Police Force, Tanah Rata), Mr. E.G.Waller (District Officer), Major Thomas (Commander, OC Troops), Major Stokes (Headmaster, Slim School), Mr. Hogarth (Chefoo School), Mr. Whitelaw (District Engineer), Rev. G.A. Williamson (OMF, Tapah), Mr.Sales (Clerk of Works), Miss Dove and Miss Anne L.P. Griffith-Jones.
However, the history of All Souls’ Church can be traced back to well before 1958 when the Vicar of Ipoh and other expatriate clergy held occasional services at both the ‘Cameron Highlands Hotel’ (the present ‘Merlin Hotel’) and Slim School (present site of the Commando Camp). Historical records show that the Rev. Anthony Charles Dumper made his pastoral visits as early as 1950 to Slim School.
The first confirmation service recorded was in 1952. During the Emergency (1946-53) there was a significant increase in number of British Military Forces in the district. Army chaplains visited Camerons once a week and held services in either the Eastern Hotel (the present ‘New Garden Inn’) or Slim School. The congregation consisted mainly of military personnel.
In early 1958, Miss Anne L.P. Griffith-Jones offered to give a site adjoining the Slim School grounds for the erection of a School Chapel. However, after consultation with the District Officer it was established that the State Government would not alienate any further land to the British Forces. Subsequently, Miss Griffith-Jones transferred the land to the Diocese on the understanding that a small civilian church would be built on it. The church would also be available for any special army services.
The army authorities generously provided a dismantled Nissen Hut for erection as a church and also donated a sum of M$1000 towards the total erection costs of M$4643. The church was completed in September 1958 and, except for a few minor renovations, remains essentially unchanged today.
The name ‘All Souls’ Church’ was given at its consecration on 30 April 1959, by the Rt. Rev. Bishop H.W. Baines, Bishop of Singapore and Malaya.
The church, under the direction of the Missionary District of South Perak, was initially ministered to by chaplains of the British Armed Forces and expatriate clergy. Among these were the Rev. G.A. Williamson (1952-60), Rev. Whitaker (1957), Rev. C.K. Davis (1958), Rev. K. Oliver (1958), Rev. P. Scott (1959), Rev. J.G.C. Thistle (1959-60), Rev. T.O. Sturdy (1959-60), Rev. G. Baker (1960-61), Rev. D.H. Temple (1960-61), Rev. Vokes (1961), Rev. F. Collard (1965-74) and Rev. D.H. Uttley (1970 -71). It later became part of the Parish of South Perak and in 1986, part of the Parish of Batang Padang, Tapah.
Since its inception, however, All Souls’ Church has been governed by an independent committee comprising members of the church. The first Malaysian clergy who ministered at Emmanuel Church, Tapah and who exercised responsibility for All Souls’ Church, were the Rev. Moses Ponniah (1975-79), the Rev. Samuel D. John (1980-86), the Rev. Alakumalai (1986-1990) and the Rev. Steven Abarrow (1990-98).
The first resident priest to be appointed to All Souls’ Church was the Rev. Kalaimuthu who was licensed by the late Bishop, the Rt. Rev. Tan Sri John G. Savarimuthu , on 21 August 1994.
He was succeeded by Dr. Vijendra Daniel in November 1997. On 30th August 1998 the Rt. Rev. Datuk Dr. Lim Cheng Ean inaugurated All Souls’ Church, Cameron Highlands as a Missionary District, with the Rev. Dr. Vijendra Daniel as the resident priest.
Rev. David Cheong suceeded Rev. Dr. Vijendra Daniel as Priest-in-Charge of All Souls Church from 1 January 2007