9. PIEDMONT (5 June 1864)

County: Augusta, VA

General Location: Near village of Piedmont, crossing of rtes. 608 & 778; Piedmont is four miles
east of the Valley pike, and seven miles southwest of Port Republic

Campaign: Lynchburg Campaign (Hunter)

Principal Commanders: [c] Brig. Gen. William E.``Grumble'' Jones; [u] Maj. Gen.David Hunter

Forces Engaged: [c] Two infantry brigades (Jones and Browne), home guards, and cavalry under
Imboden and Vaughn, about 5,500; [u] Sullivan's division (two brigades under Moor and Thoburn),
Stahel's cavalry division, and artillery under DuPont, about 8,500

Casualties: [c] about 1,500 (100k/500w/900m&c); [u] 875 (150k/650w/75m)

Significance: On 5 June 1864, the US army of General David Hunter crushed the smaller
Confederate army at Piedmont, killing the CS commander (General ``Grumble'' Jones) and taking
nearly 1,000 prisoners. Piedmont was an unmitigated disaster for CS arms in the Valley. The
disorganized Confederates could do nothing to delay Hunter's advance to Staunton, where he was
reinforced by Brig. Gen. George Crook's Army of West Virginia marching from the west. United, the
US forces moved on Lynchburg. Hearing of Jones' defeat, Gen. Robert E. Lee first rushed J. C.
Breckinridge's division back to Rockfish Gap (7 June) and then detached the Second Corps of the
Army of Northern Virginia under Lt. Gen. Jubal Early to confront Hunter at Lynchburg (12 June). This
detachment severely limited Lee's ability to undertake defensive-offensive operations on the
Richmond-Petersburg lines and served to open up the Shenandoah Valley as a second front in the
1864 fighting in Virginia.

Description of the Battle

Phase One. Cavalry Action at Mt. Meridian: Shortly after dawn, 5 June 1864, US cavalry
advanced on the Staunton Road and met CS cavalry under Brig. Gen. John D. Imboden at Mt. Meridian.
The US troopers were driven back until reinforced and again advanced to Mt. Meridian, supporting
their attack with ten field pieces. The Confederates responded with two guns. Imboden continued to
delay the US advance, while gradually retiring. US cavalry incurred about 100 casualties in the
morning's action. Fighting occurred around Bonny Doon. In the wake of the cavalry, US infantry
marched south from Port Republic.

Phase Two. CS Deployment at Piedmont: General ``Grumble'' Jones deployed his army in an
``L'' anchored on a bend of Middle River facing north and bending south along the ridge line. He placed
his two veteran brigades (under Col. Beuhring Jones and Col. William H. Browne) on the left and
center behind barricades of fence rails. His reserves, which consisted of home guards, were drawn
up in the woods just south and west of Piedmont. Vaughn's cavalry brigade was in position along the
Cross Road (present day rte. 778) east of Piedmont. His line was supported by artillery. Jones made
his headquarters in a tent in the yard of the modern McDonald House. (Imboden's cavalry brigade
after the morning's delaying action withdrew behind Polecat Draft near Round Hill.)

Phase Three. US Advance to Piedmont: About 1000 hours, US cavalry drove the CS troopers
back to the main infantry line at Piedmont and then withdrew out of cannon range to await the
arrival of their infantry and artillery. Moor's brigade arrived first and deployed to the right of the
road into the river bend. They were fired on by CS skirmishers. Thoburn's brigade deployed to the
left of the road in the vicinity of the Shaver House. DuPont arrayed his artillery battalion on the
heights confronting the CS position. Hunter made his headquarters in the Shaver House. One brigade
of US cavalry was held in reserve.

Phase Four. US Attacks on the Right: DuPont massed 22 guns against the angle in the CS line,
eventually forcing two batteries to retire and take up a position closer to Piedmont village. Shortly
after noon, elements of Moor's brigade (18CT) assaulted the hill to their right front, driving out the
CS skirmishers. Supported by a regiment of Thoburn's brigade, Moor's entire line advanced, driving
back the advanced CS line on the northern brow of the ridge. Jones withdrew his infantry to
barricades along Walker's Lane, reinforced his left to meet the US charges, and launched a
counterattack. Fighting swayed back and forth across the fields. Hunter now reinforced Moor with
Wynkoop's cavalry brigade, fighting dismounted, and renewed his attack.

Phase Five. US Attack on the Left: While fighting raged on the right, Col. Thoburn led three
regiments through a ravine and woods on the left and attacked across the Givens Run Valley.
Mid-afternoon, he charged directly into a gap in the CS line that was opened when Jones reinforced
his left flank. CS reserves were advancing to fill the gap but Thoburn's regiment reached the crest
first, and a savage, hand-to-hand mel,e erupted. About this time, Gen. Jones was killed, and the CS
defense came unraveled. Inexplicably, the CS cavalry (Vaughn) witnessed Thoburn's attack but did
not advance.

Phase Six. CS Rout: Pressed on the front and rear, Confederate soldiers went streaming over the
steep bluffs behind to wade and swim the river. All order was lost. A nasty skirmish was fought over
possession of the ford to the rear of the Col. Crawford House. Stahel's US cavalry division advanced
on the far left to close in on the village by the Cross Road. They were met by Vaughn's and Imboden's
cavalry who at last came into play to act as rear guard. Some CS units attempted to stand near the
Middle River Church and at New Hope, and US pursuit gradually slackened. The CS army lost about
900 captured.

Current Condition of the Battlefield

Piedmont battlefield is located on the Middle River in an area of great scenic beauty. The battle is
readily interpreted from public roads with minimal access to private lanes and farm roads. The
landscape in much of the area is similar to its appearance at the time of the battle with some
intrusions, most notably the Wampler-Longacre experimental poultry farm. This farm, with about a
dozen very large barns, is situated just behind a major US artillery position and is visible from
several parts of the field. One of the best views of the CS position is from this farm, although
access is restricted. The site of the major US attacks on the right is in very good condition. Site of
Thoburn's attack on the left along Givens Run is in good condition. There are considerably fewer
trees along the river now than at the time of the battle. Round Hill was a CS signal station and
anchored the far right flank of the CS cavalry.

The Shaver House, which was General Hunter's headquarters, is owned by the same family as at the
time of the battle. Various other historic structures remain, including the Finley House, Crawford
House, David Beard House (Belmont), Mt. Horeb Church, and the old Garber barn; Bonnie Doon and
Givens House in Mt. Meridian. Grand Caverns (Weyer's Cave) is nearby at Grottoes. ``Jackson's
Prayer Tree'' is located just north of Mt. Meridian. Local landowners say that Jackson conducted a
prayer meeting here in June 1862. Jackson's headquarters were in the woods near here. There is
strong anecdotal evidence among local landowners that burials have been unearthed on Piedmont
battlefield.

Perception of Threats to the Battlefield

Much of the northern half of the battlefield, scene of the most severe fighting, has been placed in a
county agricultural preservation district, which restricts non-agricultural development for seven
years. Several property owners in the core area refused to participate in the voluntary district.
Long-time residents state that they desire to ``keep farming forever'' and express concern that
the government might take their land to make a national park. The agricultural district allows
intensive poultry farming similar to the Wampler-Longacre farm, although densities of these barns
are limited by disease considerations and may already be close to maximum density. The southern
end of the field around the villages of Piedmont and New Hope has attracted some new residential
construction and is served by county sewage lines. New construction along rte. 778 east of
Piedmont or on rte. 608 between Mt. Meridian and Piedmont would tend to degrade the battlefield's
high integrity. Round Hill is a distinctive feature of the area, dominating views from many parts of
the battlefield.

This page is a part of The Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley and is brought to you by A Heritage Enterprise Books, Prints, and Relics

The Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley
Buy a Book on this Battle or a relic from the field
Back to the Main Page