All Fairfax County public schools will be closed tomorrow, Thursday,
January 29. Evening activities, extracurricular activities,
interscholastic contests, field trips, all adult and community education
classes, and recreation programs in schools are canceled. School-age child
care centers are closed. Administrative offices are open with a two hour
delay and a liberal leave policy in effect. Essential personnel are to
report to work.
Review the complete
procedures for handling school schedule changes
due to inclement weather.
Be sure to use your browser's "refresh" or "reload" option each time you
visit this page to be sure you are viewing the most up-to-date information.
- Parents and interested community members may receive emergency messages
from the school division by e-mail through the FCPS Keep In Touch program.
To register, click on the yellow button that says "Keep
In Touch" at the top left of this page.
- For detailed procedures used in responding to emergency situations,
visit the emergency preparedness
and support page.
- For detailed procedures used in school closings, visit the Weather
Closing Information page.
- For more information on school schedule changes due to inclement
weather, visit the Weather Frequently Asked
- FCPS Field Trip Guidelines
- To view a video clip that explains school closings:
resolution (07:28 video clip)
resolution (00:30 video clip)
Assistant Superintendent Dean Tistadt reviews the considerations that
lead to snow closings, including weather conditions in different parts
of the county; the safety of students who walk to school; and the
condition of school parking lots for students and buses.