Click here to return to Tyrer-Terrar home page.
Click here to return to CWPublisher home page.
Descendants of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell
Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell (1869-1929) was the sixth child of Edward Tyrer/Terrar and Esther Griffiths. When William came out to the States the second time in 1906, he changed the spelling of his name to Tyrrell. All his descendents go by this spelling of the name.
William Tyrrell had ten children by his two wives. They and their descendants were:
His first wife was Sarah Jane Goodwin. They were married in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania in l889. By her he had his first eight children. His second wife was Elizabeth Ann Edwards (1879-1929). To the left is a picture of Elizabeth's grave stone at Brookside Cemetery in Carbondale, Pennsylvania.
1) Esther Mary Tyrrell was born on 26 August 1891 at Carbondale, Pennsylvania. She was the first child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. She married William R. Verrill. She is buried at Clifford (Wayne County), Pennsylvania. In 1933 Ed Terrar (1891-1964), who was a nephew to William Tyrrell Luther visited Esther and William Verrill in Pennsylvania. Esther was about the same age as her first cousin Ed Terrar. Ed and Esther probably had known each other back in the old country and even gone to school together. By 1933 Ed Terrar was living in Coffeyville, Kansas and had a wife and three children, all of whom also came along on the visit. They stayed with the Verrill’s one night.
Esther and William Verrill had two children. They were:
To the left is a picture of Esther Mary Tyrrell (Verrill). She is the woman standing on the left. The picture was taken about 1915. With her are her sisters, Hannah Jane Tyrrell (Thompson) (1892-1926) on the right and Sarah Louise Tyrrell (Harris) (b. 1899) sitting. The picture was probably taken in Carbondale, Pa., where they were living. Esther had said while still in Wales that with her lily white hands, she would never marry a miner. Then she came to America and married a collier. She had a beautiful singing voice and sang in the choir.2) Hannah Jane Tyrrell was born on 8 June 1892 at Tylerstown (Glamorgan) Wales. She was the second child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. She was nine years old when she first came to the United States. She married Stanley Garfield Thompson in 1910 and attended the Presbyterian church. He worked at the Coalbrook Mine in Carbondale, Pa. They lived at “The Homestead” on Spencer St., Carbondale. She and her husband had 2 boys and 1 girl. She died of childbirth in 1926 at age 34. She is buried at Brookside Cemetery, Carbondale (Lackawana County) Pennsylvania. Stanley Thompson remarried to Teresa Signior, who had previously been married to Pittaway. She was a Lutheran and all the children became Lutheran. The children were: Clifton K. Verrill Marlean (Marilyn?) Jene Verrill. She married Cusry and had one child.3) Sarah Louise Tyrrell was born on 2 May 1899 in Wales. She was the third child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. She married Mounty Harris and had two children. These were: Louise Thompson born 6 March 1911 at Carbondale, Pa. She was the first child of Hannah Jane Tyrrell and Stanley Garfield Thompson. Louise married Theodore Engle(1905-1990) in 1930. He worked for the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. Louise worked for Skidmore College. In the 1970s she was living at 106 Woodlawn Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Louise died on 22 November 1997. Louise and Theodore are buried at Greenridge Cemetery, Saratoga Springs, NY. Louise and Theodore Engle had six children:1) Barbara J. Engle (1932-2008) was born at Carbondale, Pa. and married James W. Hardy in 1952. She had no children and was divorced in 1967.
2) Paul A. Luther Engle was born in 1933 at Carbondale, Pa. He worked for General Electric in Syracuse, NY. He first married Felicia Gonzalez from Milwaukee in 1957. In 1966 he married Mary Silvalia in 1966. He had three children by his first wife. They were:3) Carolyn Louise Engle (1935-1992) was born at Carbondale, Pa. and first married Donald Larson. Then she married Herbert Campbell in 1969. She had the following children:
Karen Ann Engle (1958-1992) had one son. Nancy Lynn Engle (b. 1959), is divorced with two children, living in Federal Way, Washington. Wayne Paul Engle (b. 1960).4) John Stanley Engle (1936-1998) was born at Carbondale, Pa. He married Shirley S. Hall in 1958. She was from Espanola, Washington. In the 1970s they were living in Utah and he was in the Air Force. John's second wife, Barbara, died in 2003. John and Shirley had four children: Albert James Larson Donald Lee Larson Leslie Dean Larson. Timothy Gene Larson, who is deceased.5) Theodore Ralph Engle was born in 1939 at Carbondale, Pa. He worked for the city of Saratoga, NY. Holly Louise Engle Rhonda Sue Engle Kelly Engle Darin John Engle
6) JoAnn Lee Engle (Hughes) was born in 1945 at Saratoga Springs, NY. She married first Martin Leithold. He was born in 1938 in New Brunswick, NJ. They were divorced in 1970. She married Gerald C. Hughes in 1971 at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Saratoga Springs, NY.
In the picture they are sitting on the front porch of the Terrar house. Left to right, front row is Bob Dittmer, JoAnn and Toby Terrar. In the second row is Vincent Ferro, Ed Terrar and to his left, the family dog, Willie. Vincent and Bob were friends of the Terrar family that were also house guests that weekend.
To the left is a picture of JoAnn Engle in April 1971. She is in the front center. She was visiting the family of her cousin, Ed Terrar (1920-2004) in Washington, D.C.
JoAnn worked as a legal secretary until 1985, when she went to work for the City of Saratogo Springs, NY. She retired in 2008. JoAnn had three children by her first husband and one child by her second husband. They were:
Terri Lee Leithold (Hughes) was born in 1965 at Hoboken, NJ. She has been married twice. She has a daughter, Jessica Lynn Hughes born in 1985. Terri Lee lives at Glens Falls, NY. Laurie Ann Leithold (Hughes) was born in 1966 at Bayonne, NJ. She married James M. Hilliker, Jr. in 1993. She owned her own abstract business and had several horses. Laurie died of cancer in 2004 and is buried at Greenridge Cemeter in Saratoga Springs, NY. Laurie had two children:Joshua Michael Hilliker (b. 1982) in Saragoga Spring, NY.
Ashley Lynn Hollis (b. 1988) in Schenectady, NY.
Lisa Marie Leithold (Hughes) was born in 1968 at Saratoga Spring, NY. She married Gerald Knorr in 1985. They had a son, Mickey Christopher Knorr in 1986. They live in Ocala, Florida. Stacy Lynn Hughes was born in 1973 at Saratoga Springs, NY. She worked for her sister Laurie in the abstract business. Now she has her own company, Blue Sky Abstract. She married Timothy Hartwell in 1993. They have two children:Courtney Louise Hartwell (b. 1993) in Norwich, NY.
Timothy David Hartwell, Jr. (b. 1995) in Saratoga Springs, NY.
Mervington Thompson (1913-1916) was the second child of Hannah Jane Tyrrell and Stanley Garfield Thompson. He is buried at Brookside Cemetery, Carbondale. Edward Thompson (1916-1995) was born at Carbondale, Pa. He was the third child of Hannah Jane Tyrrell and Stanley Garfield Thompson. He married Helen. They are Catholic. In the 1970s they were living at 24 Copeland Ave., Carbondale, PA. Helen died in 1997. Edward and Helen had two children:Joanne Thompson
Edward Thompson, Jr.
Ronald Andrew Thompson (1922-1991) was born at Carbondale, Pa. He was the fourth child of Hannah Jane Tyrrell and Stanley Garfield Thompson. He married Anne Louise (Nancy) Boyle (b. 1925) in 1943. They are Catholic. In the 1970s he was a retired Army master sergeant. He is buried at Indian Gap National Cemetery, Pennsylvania. They had two children:1) Ronald P. Thompson (1944-1995) was born at Baltimore, MD. He married Lita in 1969. He served in the Air Force in Vietnam.
2) Margarette “Peggy” Anne Thompson born in 1947 in Baltimore, MD. She married Ronald Harwood in 1968.4) C. Edward Tyrrell was born on 9 February 1896 at 27 Brynbedw Terrrace, Tylorstown, Wales. He was the fourth child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. He started work in a silk mill as a bobbin boy and worked his way to superintendent. He then went into industries that he and others founded. At the time of his death, he was vice president of an ice cream company. He married Helen McNulty. He died on 30 January 1970. He is buried at Glen Rock, New Jersey. C. Edward and Helen had the following children:
Glady Harris married Louis Yacovini (d. 1970). They had two boys and two girls. In the 1970s they were living at Clark Summit, PA. William Harris married Elaine.5) William Luther Tyrrell was born on 4 July 1898 at 36 East Road, Tylorstown. He was the fifth child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. Edward Craig Tyrrell born in 1917 at Carbondale, Pa. He was the first child of C. Edward Tyrrell and Helen McNulty. He graduated from Lafayette College in Easton, Pa in 1940 with a major in psychology. He was drafted into the Army in 1941. He attended officers candidate school and graduated a second lieutenant in 1942. He was promoted to Colonel (USAR) in March 1969. He retired from active duty in 1970. In 1946 he married Jean Louise Clayman, who was born in 1946 at Honeoye Falls, NY. She had graduated from the School of Nursing at the University of Rochester, NY in 1944 and was a registered nurse in New York. In 1971 Edward Craig and Jean Louise were living at Virginia Beach, VA. They had three children:1) Deborah Lynne Tyrrell born 1949 at Allentown, PA.
2) Patricia Louise Tyrrell born 1953 at Tokyo, Japan.
3) Edward Blair Tyrell born 1954 at Shirley, Mass.
Robert J. Tyrrell was the second child of C. Edward Tyrrell and Helen McNulty.
William was in the Army in World War I and II. After World War I he attended school and became a mechanical draftsman. He worked at this trade until he retired. He married Isabell Allen on 2 February 1926. They lived at Carbondale, PA. She is buried at Valley View Cemetery, Clifford, PA. They had three children, two boys and a girl.
To the left is a picture of William Tyrrell, sitting in the middle. On the wife is William's sister, Alice, who will be discussed below. On the right is William's daughter, Bonnie Tyrrell Chaballa. The picture was made in February 1973 by their cousin, Ed Terrar (1920-2004), when he was visiting Carbondale, Pennsylvania. 6) Theresa Tyrrell was born 31 August 1899 at 42 Brondeg St., Tylorstown. She was the sixth child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. She may have died as a child. Bonnie Tyrrell married Chaballa. They had two girls.
7) Alice Maud Tyrrell was born on 17 July 1903 at Tylorstown, Wales. She was the seventh child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. She married first John F. Vail. Later, in 1937 in Virginia she married William T. Robinson, who was born in 1913 at Scranton, PA. She had two sons by her first husband. The sons were:
John F. Vail was born in Carbondale, Pa. He was the first child of Alice Maud Tyrrell and John F. Vail. John F. married Ealnor Stadinsky. He had four children:1) John F. Vail (b. 1949).
2) Robert Vail (b.1951).
3) Richard Vail (b. 1962).
4) Donna Marie Vail (b. 1963).
William L. Vail was born in Carbondale, Pa. He was the second child of Alice Maud Tyrrell and John F. Vail.
8) David John Tyrrell was born on 11 September 1904 at Tylorstown, Wales. He was the eighth child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and Sarah Jane Goodwin. Of all the Tyrrell boys, he worked in the mines the longest. In late 40s he left to work at Hamilton Aircraft and Propeller in Connecticut until he retired. In the 1950s they were living at Warehouse Point, Connecticut. He married Louise Painter and had 3 boys and 1 girl.
To the left is a picture of Billy Vail (at least JoAnn Engle Hughes is pretty sure that this is Billy). Billy married Rita Ruane. They had three children:1) Linda F. Vail (b. 1949), married Walter Howell and had one child: Lou Ann Howell.
2) William L. Vail (b. 1951)
3)Lee Ann Vail (b. 1957).9) Stanley C Tyrrell was born on 1 December 1910 at Carbondale, Pa. He was ninth child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and the first child of William’s second wife, Elizabeth Ann Edwards. Stanley C. Tyrrell entered the army after working in the coal mines. He went to officers candidate school and was commissioned in 1942. He first married Helen M. Tallett. Later he married Dorthy Lee Buck on 10 December 1949. Stanley retired in 1960 as a Major in the U.S. Army. In the 1950s he was living in Columbus, Georgia. He had one child by his first wife. That child was:
? Tyrrell was the first child of David John Tyrrell and Louise Painter. The girl, married John Fitzimmons. They had a child: Beth Fitzimmons. David J. Tyrrell was the second child of David John Tyrrel and Louise Painter. Arthur Tyrrell was the third child of David John Tyrrell and Louise Painter. Arthur did not marry. James Tyrrell was the fourth child of David John Tyrrell and Louise Painter.10) Haydn R. Tyrrell (30 September 1913- April 1961) was the tenth child of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell and the second child of William’s second wife, Elizabeth Ann Edwards. Paul Tyrrell was born 29 October 1932 at Carbondale, PA. He was the first child of Stanley C Tyrrel and Helen M. Tallett. He married Doris Brieden. They had 7 children of his own, all of them born in Carbondale, PA. These were:1) Marian Tyrrell (b. 1953)
2) Paul Tyrrell (b. 1955).
3) James Tyrrell (b. 1956).
4) Joseph Tyrrell (b. 1957).
5) Stanley Tyrrell (b. 1959).
6) Ann Tyrrell (b. 1962).
7) Doreen Tyrrell (b. 1963).
To the left is a picture of First Sergeant Hayden Tyrrell probably in the World War II period. He went into the army and transferred to the Air Force in 1942. He was retired on permanent disability due to an auto crash. He had to use a cane. He was married to an English girl, Mary E. Robson (c. 1967). She was an accomplished dancer and gave lessons at the local youth clubs. She died of throat cancer. Hadyn is buried at Tampa, Florida.