Terrar-Tyrer-Elias Family History

Wales and the United States of America

Partial Index

1. Welcome Scroll below.
2. Families and Pictures:
FIRST Generation:
William Tyrer / Teyrer (c.1740s/1750s-1830s) and wife Margaret Hughes. Scroll below.
SECOND Generation:
William (Henry) Tyrer (Teyrer) (1789-1841) and wife Dorthy Jones. Click here .
Edward Tyrer, Sr. (1794-1855) and his wife Ellen Williams (1791-1870). Scroll below.
THIRD Generation:
Margaret Tyrer (b. 1821) and her husband William Owen. Click here .
Hannah Tyrer (Bothms) (1825-1900) (includes Margaret Fisk, Olwen Tyrer, Edward Tyrer Roberts, and Margaret Ann Roberts Jones). Click here .
Edward Tyrer (1829-1893) and his wife Esther Griffiths (1833-1910). Scroll below.
Hugh Tyrer (1832-1890) and his wife Ellen Jones (includes Alan Vaughn Tyrer). Click here .
William Tyrer and his wife Grace Williams. Click here .
Elizabeth Tyrer and her husband Owen Lewis. Click here .
FOURTH Generation:
Edward Terrar (b. 1854). Scroll below.
Mary Terrar (1857-1949) and her husband James Rosser. Scroll below.
Hanna Terrar (Anna) (1859-1945) and her husband William Thomas (or Daniel?). Scroll below.
David Terrar (1862-1952) and his wife Ann Elias (1863-1937). Click here.
Sarah Ann Terrar (1862-1952) and her husband Thomas Bevan. Scroll below.
William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell (1869-1929) and his wives Sarah Jane Goodwin and Elizabeth Ann Edwards. Scroll below.
3. Bibliography
4. Links
5. Purpose

1.0 Welcome. This is a family history web page for the Terrar-Tyrer-Elias family. The editors/contributors are anyone that wants to volunteer. Those helping currently are listed at the bottom of the page.

2.0 Pictures. Click on the photos to view larger photos.

The family name “Terrar” was first spelled this way by David Terrar (1862-1952). The most common spelling of the name is “Tyrer”. A discussion of the name’s geographical and entomological origins is in the article Family History Information about the Tyrer-Terrar-Tyrrell family in Amlwch (Anglesey), North Wales the Rhonda Valley, South Wales and Lancashire County, England: 1750s-1970s (Silver Spring, Maryland: CWP, 1970 18pp.), which is available below for free in the bibliography section.


William Tyrer / Teyrer (c.1740s/1750s-1830s) and
Margaret Hughes in Amlwch (Anglesey) Wales

William Tyrer was born most likely in the 1740s or 1750s in Lancashire County. He is the earliest ancestor we have been able to trace. He moved to Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales in 1768-1769. The reason he came to Amlwch was to work in the new Parys Mountain Mine which was opened up in 1768. He was one of a relatively large number of Englishmen who came to Amlwch at this time to work in the copper mine. Most of the Englishmen who came to Amlwch came from Cornwall, where there was a long tradition of copper mining. However, the name “Tyrer” is specific to Lancashire. See the article referenced above.

In 1771 William Tyrer married Margaret Parry at St. Eleth parish church in Amlwch. The parish records apparently have no reference to any children he may have had by this marriage, nor to her death before 1788. In 1788 he was listed as a widower, when he married Margaret Hughes, listed as a widow. Sometime before this date William had taken up residency at Penrallt, Amlwch, and was a farmer. It was common both to work in the mines and farm at the same time. William lived at Penrallt for forty years. In the 1790s he served as part of the parish vestry, which was an administrative body that looked after the church, highways and poor. It consisted of the parson, two churchwardens, clerk and chief parishioners. It met every first Sunday of the month after evening prayers.

The signature of William Tyrer appears frequently in the vestry records. For example on 3 April 1790 William and eight others signed his name to the following statement: “At a vestry held this day it was agreed that the sum of sixpence in the pound be levied on all landholders within this parish towards repairing the roads in the parcels of Penbol and Gwredog pursuant to an order made by Holland Griffith and Herbert Jones, Esq., two of his majesty’s justices of the peace for this county dated 13 March 1790.” In 1792 it was decided to construct a new church building, which was completed in 1800 and still stands. William was one of the 13 people that signed the resolution to build it. Throughout the l790s he repeatedly voted for a tax of 6 pence or one shilling to the pound to take care of the poor of the parish.

In the period from 1800 to 1820 William did not take as active a part in parish life as he formerly did. However in the 1820’s, as an older man in his 70’s, he became active in the parish life. At a vestry meeting held 18 March 1823 and again in the following year, he was appointed select vestryman for taking care of poor relief. In 1826 he was overseer of the highroad. We have not found out when he or his second wife died. William and Margaret Tyrer had two children. These were:

William (Henry) Tyrer (Teyrer) (1789-1841), who married Dorthy Jones (or Morris). Click here for information about them and their descendants.
Edward Tyrer, Sr. (1794-1855), who married Ellen Williams.


Edward Tyrer, Sr. (1794-1855) and
Ellen Williams (1791-1870)

William Tyrer’s (1740-1830s) second son, Edward Tyrer, was born 23 August 1794. Edward, as a child, witnessed Amlwch at the top of its economic prosperity. The copper ore from the mines was taken by ship out of Amlwch harbor to be smeltered in Liverpool. As many as 38 ships were engaged in this trade at one time. At an early age Edward also witnessed the fear which spread throughout Eng1and concerning the possibility of an invasion by Napoleon. The Chester Chronicle of 18 May 1798 records that a large number of miners from Amlwch had volunteered to fight the French. Amlwch was no longer a hamlet inhabited by fisherman, but a fair sized town of 4977 people in 1801. In 1793 an Act of Parliament was obtained for the formation of a harbor; in 1814 a pier was built and in 1822 a breakwater was constructed.

Edward was not as well educated as was his father. Unlike William, Edward could not write his own name. He used an X mark when he had to sign his name. When his name was written by others, they spelled it in a variety of ways. These spelling included: Tryrer, Teyren, Teyrer, Tyror, Tyran, Terer, Terror, Teran, Terrer (but never Terrar). There was such variation because the Tyrer name was not familiar to Welsh writers. They would try to write it the way it sounded. Edward was probably the first of the Tyrer’s to speak Welsh fluently. His mother would have taught it to him, as she was Welsh. Edward spent most of his life working in the copper mines of Amlwch. He did not obtain much, if any, schooling, and must have begun work in the mines at an early age.

Salem Baptist Church in Amlwch When he was 21 Edward married Elliner Hughes on 27 January 1815 at St. Eleath Parish Church. He later married Ellen Williams. We have not found the date of death of his first wife nor the date of marriage to the second wife. Some time after the marriage in 1815 Edward and his wife started attending Salem Baptist Church on Salem St., Amlwch. Part of this church is pictured to the left, as it appeared in July 1970. The structure was built in 1927. To the present day his descendents in the Rhonda Valley and in Amlwch attend the Baptist Church. (ter-jpg/V9-20-3.jpg).

Edward worked in the copper mines at Amlwch until about 1844 when he was 50 years old. During these years the copper mines of Amlwch were on the decline and the wage and working conditions of the miners were poor. Part of the reason for the decline was that the richest and most easily reached copper ore had been removed by 1800. In addition other mines had been opened elsewhere. As a result there was a continuous exodus of miners from Amlwch in the first half of the 1800s.

Grave stone for Edward Tyrer, d. 1855 Edward and his ever-growing family lived on a street named Rhos in a home which was owned and rented by St. Eleth Parish Church. All 70 or so homes along this street were owned by the Parish and rented, for the most: part, to the miners of Amlwch. About 1844, perhaps because he was getting old, perhaps because the mines were cutting back on labor, Edward became a mason. He continued in this calling until 1852, when he was 58. He then worked as a dock laborer until his death on 27 September 1855. He died of paralysis, which he had had for the previous five months. Edward was burled in the churchyard behind Salem Baptist Church in Amlwch. In 1970 the churchyard was overgrown with weeds, but one could still see his grave marker and the date of his death, written in Welsh. Pictured to the left is the grave marker. The picture was made in July 1970 by Edward Terrar (1920-2004). (ter-jpg/V9-20-2.jpg).

By his two wives Edward had at least 10 children, all of whom were born at Amlwch. The records of the Salem Baptist Church have been misplaced. For this reason we have not been able to obtain the exact dates of birth of Edward’s children. However from the Census records of 1841, 1851, 1861, from death and birth certificates and from tombstones, we learned a good deal about the children. They are part of the third generation in descent from the oldest ancestors that we have identified. Click here for a listing of these ten children and their descendants. They include family historian Alan Tyrer.


Edward Tyrer/Terrar (1829-1893) and
Esther Griffiths (1833-1910)

Edward Tyrer As noted above, Edward Tyrer, Sr. (1794-1855) named his fourth child and first son, Edward Tyrer. This son is pictured in his old age in th 1880s to the left. At that time he had a shaggy beard and was said to be tall in stature. Edward Tyrer, Jr. was born in 1829 at the house on Rhos. It is quite possible that the only language which Edward, Jr. learned to speak was Welsh. Like his father, he could not spell his own name and used an X mark. Edward Jr. probably had no school and started to work at an early age. The 1841 census of Amlwch shows that Edward, 12, was still living with his parents at Rhos, but two of his older sisters, Mary, 14 and Hannah, 15, were already living in other households working as housekeepers. Edward Jr. was either working in the copper mines with his father at this time or shortly thereafter. (ter-jpg/V1-18.jpg).
It was sometime between this 1841 census and the 1851 census that Edward Tyrer, Jr. came down to Aberdare in Glamorgan County, Wales. He came to work in the mines there which were so much more prosperous than those in Amlwch. The 1851 census lists Edward, 21 years old, and unmarried, as a lodger at 245 Wind St. in the village of Hirwain. This village was four miles northwest of Aberdare. His birthplace in the census is listed as Amlwch, Anglesey. This is where we first discovered our connection with Amlwch.

Living just up the street in Hirwain at 233 Wind St. was 19-year-old, Esther Criffiths. She was born at Llangwinson (Llangynid?) Carmarthen, Wales and baptized on 26 August 1833 at the Rock “Dissenting Congregational or Independent Church" at Trelech A’R Bettws. Her parents were David Griffiths, a laborer and Esther Phillip. She married Edward Tyrer/Terrar on 7 July 1852 at the Carmel Chapel on Monk Street in Aberdare, Wales.

Edward and his wife (and their children as they came) lived in Aberdare for about 25 years, until around 1875 when they moved to Tylorstown. While in Aberdare they lived at a number of different addresses: in 1859 they lived at Rhigos, a township near Aberdare; in 1861 they were at 3 Be1l St., Cumdare, a hamlet 2 miles west of Aberdare; and 5 miles west southwest from Merthyr Tudflyl; in 1862 they were at 9 David St., Aberdare; and by 1869 they lived at 6 Boud Place. Edward worked at the Hirwain Iron works from the time he came to Aberdare until about 1860, when he started mining coal instead of iron ore. Probably because the mining was better, he moved his family down to Tylorstown about 1875. Tylorstown is 7 miles north northwest from Pontypridd. As a miner Edward would have to leave for work by 6:00 in the morning and would not return home until after 4:00 in the afternoon. He, and his sons as they became of age, would load around 10 tons of coal per day, six days per week. They were paid for each prop they put up--3 pence per prop. While in Tylorstown Edward worked mostly in Number 6 Pit.

Edward and his family attended the Haron Welsh Baptist Church at Pontygwaith. The building still stands but has been converted into a factory. The congregation now meets at the Horeb Baptist Church. In 1891 Esther was working as a midwife and spoke only Welsh. That year she and her husband were living at 66 East Road in Tylerstown. She is buried at the Aberdare Cemetery, Aberdare, Wales.

The miners had the following holidays: Whitsun, Easter, May Day and August Holiday--which was two days long. On the August Holiday, Edward would take his family down to the beach at Barry for the day. It was one of the best days of the year for everyone. At Christmas the family would bundle up in their warmest and best clothes to attend the services commemorating our Lord’s birth at Haron. Then would follow a great family dinner with plenty of turkey, pork, duck, puddings and cakes, and in their stockings the children would find sugar pigs.

Edward, as most of the miners, spent many evenings at the Tylerstown Hotel, where he was a member of the Workingmen’s Club. He liked Milner Bitter (beer) before and after work. At the Club there was much talk, drinking contests at which one could win prizes and fist fights. He died in 1893. He is buried with his wife, Esther, at Aberdare Cemetery in Aberdare. Esther died 21 December 1910 at 76 East Road, Tylorstown.


Edward and Esther Tyrer had at least six children, all of whom were born in Aberdare, Glamorgan County, Wales. Most of the children spelt their name Terrar. The children were:

Edward Tyrer/Terrar, b. 1854) 1) Edward Tyrer/Terrar was born in 1854. Some say he migrated to Australia or New Zealand. We have not been able to find out anything about him as yet. To the left is a picture of Edward Tyrer/Terrar taken when he was probably in his 20s during the 1870s or 1880s. He was dressed in a fancy three-piece suit. The picture was copied in July 1970 from the original, which was owned by Mary Terrar Miles, who was Edward Tyrer/Terrar's niece, the youngest daughter of his younger brother David Terrar. (V9-11-4.jpg).

2) Mary Terrar (1857-1949) was the second child of Edward Tyrer and Esther Griffiths. She married James Rosser on 17 April 1876. She is buried at Lledyrdde, Porth, Wales. From them are descended family historians Margaret Haywood and Shirley Faulkner. Click here for a listing of Mary Terrar Rosser's descendants.

3) Hanna Terrar (Anna) (1859-1945) was the third child of Edward Tyrer and Esther Griffiths. She was born at Rhigos, Glamorgan, Wales and married William Thomas (or Daniel?).
Anna/Hannah Terrar Thomas To the left is a picture of Anna/Hanna Terrar Thomas. She is on the right. On the left in the picture is probably her niece, Lizzie Rosser Jones (b. 1885). Lizzie was the daughter of Anna's older sister, Mary Terrar Rosser. David Terrar (d. 1952), who was Anna's younger brother, called her "Hanna Daniel" in 1945. David also said that Anna's son, David W. Daniel, was killed in a pit accident in 1945. Anna was a cook at Newport Hospital. She adopted her child (David William Thomas/Daniel), as she had none of her own. (ter-jpg/anna-thom.jpg).
Anna/Hannah Terrar Thomas To the left is a another picture of Anna/Hanna Terrar Thomas. JoAnne Engle had this picture and identified it as Hanna Terrar Thomas. Hanna lived her last days at Cwaman (Aberdare) at the home of a nephew, son of Sara Ann Bevan. She is buried at Newport, Wales. (ter-jpg/pb1-1973-2-14.jpg, also ter-jpg/V1-6-1.jpg)
4) David Terrar (12 June 1862-18 February 1952) was the fourth child of Edward Tyrer and Esther Griffiths.
David and Ann Terrar, 1885 To the left is a photo of him and his wife, Ann (Annie) (Elias) Terrar (1863-1937) in about 1885. Also in the picture are their two oldest children. The baby is probably Jane (Terrar) Davies (1885-1969). The child in front of David is Esther (Terrar)[Morgan, Lewis] Mainwaring. David and Ann Terrar had thirteen children between 1883 and 1905. Four died in childhood. From David and Ann Terrar descend family historians Katie Griffiths White-Thomas, Olwen Miles Roberts, Wendy Scarpato, Janet Pegler Davis and Toby Terrar. Click here Click here for more information about David, his wife, his children and their descendants. (ter-jpg/V2-11-2.jpg).

5) Sarah Ann Terrar (1862-1952) was the fifth child of Edward Tyrer and Esther Griffiths. Sarah Ann was born at Aberdare. In the 1881 census she was living at Trecynon, Glamorgan. According to the 1891 census she spoke both English and Welsh. On 20 June 1882 she married Thomas Bevan at Llanwonno Parish Church, Glamorgan. Thomas was born in 1862 or 1864 at Hirwain, Glamorgan. His father was Robert Bevan, a collier. In the 1881 census Thomas Bevan was living at 6 East Road, Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan. He was working as a hauler in 1882. A witness at the marriage was Anna Daniel. This might have been her sister. Sarah Ann Terrar Bevan worked as a matron at Newport Hospital, Caerphlon, Monmouthshire, Wales. Sarah Ann is buried at Aberdare, Wales. Sarah Ann (Terrar) and Thomas Bevan had nine sons and one daughter. Those whose name we have are:

David William Bevan (b. 1888) at Tylorstown, Wales.
Edward L. Bevan (b. 1890) at Tylorstown, Wales
John Bevan
George Bevan
Stanley Bevan

6) William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell (28 August 1869-12 May 1929) was the sixth child of Edward Tyrer/Terrar and Esther Griffiths.
William Tyrrell To the left is a picture of William Tyrrell, Sr., who is sitting on the right side of the picture. His son, William Tyrrell, Jr. is sitting on the left. William Tyrrell, Sr. was born at 6 Boud Place, Aberdare. He first came to the United States from Wales on 22 April 1888 aboard the Scythia from Liverpool, England to the Port of New York. He was listed as a mason by trade. When William came out to the States the second time in 1906, he changed the spelling of his name to Tyrrell. All his descendents go by this spelling of the name. William was a coal miner. (ter-jpg/pb1-1973-2-3.jpg).
Grave of Sarah Tyrrell William Tyrrell, Sr. married twice. His first wife was Sarah Jane Goodwin (1872-1907). She was born at Hirwaen, Wales. They were married in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania in l889. By her he had his first eight children. Their first child was born in Carbondale, Pennsylvania. By the following year, they had returned to Wales, where the next seven children were born. On 12 February 1906 William and his children by Sarah Jane migrated back to the United States, leaving Liverpool and arriving at the Port of New York on 20 February 1906. Pictured to the left is the grave stone of Sarah J. Goodwin Tyrrell at Brookside Cemetery. Carbondale. Pennsylvania. The picture was taken in February 1973 by William Tyrrell's great nephew, Edward Terrar (1920-2004). The cemetery was build on a mountain side. Some years after this picture was taken, there was a big mudslide on the mountain. The grave markers may have been buried. (ter-jpg/pb1-1973-2-2.jpg).
William married on 12 June 1908 his second wife at Providence Church, Scranton, Pennsylvania. Her name was Elizabeth Ann Edwards (1879-1929). Elizabeth Ann was born at Gilvach Goch, Wales. By her William had two more children. They lived in Carbondale, Pennsylvania, where Wi1liam mined coal. Some of his descendents still live there to this day. They were Baptists. William became a naturalized United States citizen on 27 January 1914 at the District Court, Scranton, Pennsylvania. William and perhaps Elizabeth Ann died 12 May 1929. They both are buried at Brookside Cemetery. Carbondale. Pennsylvania. William had ten children by his two wives. All the boys except Haydn worked for a while in the coal mines. Click here for a listing of William Luther Terrar/Tyrrell's descendants, including family historian JoAnn Lee Engle (Hughes).

Descendants of Jacob Elias.

Ann (Elias) Terrar was the daughter of Jacob Elias (1819-by 1891) and Martha Thomas (1821-1907). Jacob was born at Whitchurch, Glamorgan, Wales. He was working as a “collier” (coal miner?) in 1844 and living at Hirwain. Between 1863 and 1871 he was a brick layer in a “coal works.” His wife Martha was born at Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. They were married 16 April 1844 at the Register Office in Aberdare, Wales. They had eight children. Those in the 1840s were born at Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. The later children were born at Aberdare, Wales.
Martha Thomas Elias This photo, taken at Merthyr Tydfil in the early 1900s, is of Martha Thomas Elias when she was in her 80s and all dressed up in her Sunday clothes, complete with a fancy hat. One of her daughters was Ann Elias Terrar. When each of Ann's children was born, Martha was present at 30 East Road in Tylerstown to help with the birth of her grandchildren. When Martha's husband died in 1891, she was 70 years old, living at 21 East Road and working as a school cleaner. She died at age 86. She had a book in her left hand. (V9-12-1.jpg).
grave stone of Martha Thomas Elias This photo, taken in 1970, is of one of the two gravestones that mark the resting place of Jacob and Martha Elias at the cemetery at Aberdare. The stones were not very legible, but the sexton said that his records indicate that they belonged to Jacob and Martha. (V9-12-3.jpg).

The nine children of Martha and Jacob Elias were:
  • 1) Rachael Elias (b. 1844). She married first John Jones and then a Morgan. She is buried at Aberdare, Glamorgan County, Wales
  • 2) Richard Elias (b. 1846).
  • 3) Margaret Elias (b. 1849)
  • 4) William Elias (14 June 1852-21 April 1912) was the fourth child of Martha (Thomas) and Jacob Elias. He married Ann Lewis. They migrated to Streator, Illinois and are buried there. Ed Terrar, Sr. and his family had nice visits with their Elias relatives in Streator, Illinois in 1935, 1937 and 1960. William and Ann Elias had five children. Click here to view a listing of these children and their descendants. (eli-html/eli-4.html).
  • 5) John Elias (5 April 1853-1930) was the fifth child of Martha and Jacob Elias. He was born at Aberdare and married Ann Maddocks in 1873. They had three children in Wales. Then in the early 1880s they migrated to Kansas. John worked on the railroad in Kansas City, Missouri. Ann Maddocks died in March 1903 and is buried at Jinny Lind (Fort Smith) Arkansas. John remarried in 1909. About 1914 Ed Terrar, Sr. met his wife, Margaret Maye Gergen, through the indirect help of John. Ed was John’s nephew. He had migrated from Wales in 1912 and was mining coal at Mystic, Iowa. On a vacation to visit Uncle John, he helped a short young Kansas woman put her suitcase on the overhead rack of their train. They talked, he obtained her address, corresponded with her and some years later were married. John died in 1930 and is buried at Jinny Lind (Ft. Smith), Arkansas. John Elias and Ann Maddocks had four children. Click here to view a listing of these children and their descendants. (eli-html/eli-1.html).
    John Elias This is a photo of John Elias. He is sitting in the front row, furthest to the left. The others in the front row are Edward Terrar, Jr. (1920-2004) with his left hand shading his face from the sun, Mildred Terrar, and Edward Terrar, Sr. (1891-1964). In the second row is Seth Harold (behind John), Rosemary Terrar and Rachael (Rachel) Elias Moore (1885-1964). Rachael was John’s third child. Edward Jr. Rosemary and Mildred were the children of Edward Terrar, Sr. and Margaret Terrar. Margaret was the one that was taking the picture. The photo was taken on Labor Day in 1928. They all had on their best clothes, including ties for the men. John had on a three-piece suit, which included a vest. (V2-32-3.jpg).
  • 6) Mary Elias (15 August 1855-12 November 1930) was the sixth cild of Martha and Jacob Elias. She was born at Ystrad, Glamorgan, Wales (or Irwin, Wales). She married Josiah Williams on 25 April, 1872 at Glenmorganshire, Wales. He was a coal miner. They migrated to Robertsdale, Huntington, Pennsylvania in the late 1870s. By the mid-1880s they were living at Mt. Savage, Allegany County, Maryland. In 1907 they were leasing their home in Frostburg, Maryland from the Boren Mining Company. The place sold for $400 in 1942. The Edward Terrar, Sr. family visited this family twice, the last being in 1956. Both William and Mary Elias Williams are buried at Frostburg, Maryland. Mary (Elias) and Josiah Williams had seven children. Click here to view a listing of these children and their descendants. (eli-html/eli-5.html).
  • 7) Margaret Elias (14 June 1859-25 February 1907). She was the seventh child and fourth daughter of Jacob and Martha (Thomas) Elias. She was born at Aberdare, Glamorgan County, Wales. In about 1878 when she married John C. Lee. He was a coalminer. They had their first child at Aberdare in 1789. Soon after they migrated to Streeter, Illinois, where they had their next child. Thereafter in the 1890s they lived at Whatcheer, Iowa, Williamsburg, Colorado and back Streeter, Illinois. These were all coalmining communities. Margaret (Elias) and John Lee are both buried at Mystic, Iowa. Ed Terrar attended John Lee's funeral in 1934. Margaret (Elias) Lee and John C. Lee had six children. Click here to view a listing of these children and their descendants, including family historian Ruth Roland Gifford. (eli-html/eli-3.html).
    Mystic Iowa mine By 1912 John Lee was mining in Mystic, Iowa. There was a long miner’s strike back in the Welsh home country (the Rhondda Valley). John sent his nephew, Edward “Ned” Terrar, who was twenty-one years old coalminer there, a ticket so that he could come to America and find work. Ed came to Mystic and lived in the home of his Aunt Margaret and Uncle John, while joining his uncle and cousins in the mine there. Ed paid back John for the ticket from his earnings. The picture to the left is of the mine where Ed was working in 1914 at Mystic. It was the Lodwick Brothers Mine, 7 Clondyke MineNo. 29. Ed wrote on the back of the picture, which he sent to his father back in Wales:
    June 13, 1914. Father this the mine where I was weighting before they closed down. Send me some views of Tylorstown, as I gave them others to Unkle John Elias’es daughters [?] soon from Ned (eli-jpg/V2-16-3).
    Mystic Iowa mine To the left is another coalmining picture from Mystic Iowa. Ed sent this one to his girlfriend and future wife, Margaret Gergen in Kansas. In the picture Ed is on the far right, with the soft wool cap on his head and suspenders over his shoulders. The five individuals are standing next to a large chunk of coal, which weighed 1,500 pounds, according to the writing on it. Also written on the coal chunk was “Mine No. 12.” One the side of the card is printed “Big Chunk Coal” and Lodwick Bros. Coal Co., Mystic, Iowa. Ed wrote on the back of the picture:
    Margaret a picture of a Big Chunk of coal at the mine I worked before coming down to Okla. I am in the Right hand corner in my Pit Clothes Edward. (V2-15-4.jpg).
  • 8) Ann Elias (13 November 1863-1 November 1937). She was born at 12 Church Row in Aberdare. She married David Terrar on 9 November 1882 and is buried at Tylerstown, Glamorgan County, Wales.
  • 9) Jane "Jennie" Elias (29 January 1871-19 January 1964) was the ninth and youngest child of Jacob and Martha Elias. Jennie married Alfred Mitchell (d. 1904) when she was about 20. This was around 1890. They had their first child in Wales and then migrated to the United States. They then had four more children. Each child was born in a different town (Florence, Colorado; Springfield, Illinois; Prairie Arkansas and Pennsylvania). This was because Al had to go where there were jobs. Al rose to become a mine superintendent, but died young. He is buried at Jenny Lind, Arkansas. This is a coal mining community near Fort Smith, Arkansas. His death left Jennie with five children. She put them in the Odd Fellows Orphanage, so that she could take up nursing. As the children became old enough, they went to live with her. She converted to Catholicism when taking nursing at Saint Margaret’s Catholic Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri. A relative (Mrs. Gerry) believed that she married a second time to a John Meier in Kansas City, Missouri about 1918. But the marriage did not last. Jennie is buried at Arkansas City, Kansas. Alfred and Jane Elias Mitchell had five children. Click here to view a listing of these children and their descendants. (eli-html/eli-2.html).
    Jane Elias Mitchell This photo shows Jennie Elias Mitchell, who is second from the left with the hat on, in the 1950s. Others in the photo are, left to right, Margaret Terrar, Jennie, Bettie Mitchell, George Mitchell (b. 1895) and the person on the far right is not identified. The picture was taken probably in Arkansas City, Kansas, where Bettie and George Mitchell lived. And it was probably taken by Ed Terrar, Sr., who was Jennie’s nephew, and who loved to visit and keep up with his kinfolk. (Elias-1.jpg).
  • Elias Sal2 Unidentified (Elias?) from Kathleen Sallee has the original.


    An Account of the history of some of our Terrar-Tyrer-Eliases is given in the following:

  • 3.1 Click here for an HTML-formatted version of Family History Information about the Tyrer-Terrar-Tyrrell Family in Amlwch (Anglesey), North Wales, the Rhonda Valley, South Wales and Lancashire County, England 1750s-1970s (Silver Spring, Maryland: CWP, 1970, 25pp.), by Toby Terrar and Family. There are maps, charts and pictures in the original 1970 version of this document. But we were not able to reproduce them in this HTML version. Click here for a PDF-formatted version of the same document. This PDF version does have the original maps, charts and pictures.

  • 3.2 Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Terrar-Gergen-Craig-Elias Family History in Coffeyville and Cherryvale, Kansas, in Edgar County, Illinois, in Perkinsville, New York and in Tylorstown, Wales (Silver Spring, Maryland: CWP, 1994, 135pp.), by Toby Terrar.
    Click here for a downloadable copy of: Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Terrar-Gergen-Craig-Elias Family History. (Our web software is not able to duplicate the pagination, pictures and index of the hardcopy book.)
  • 3.3 God, Country and Self-Interest: A Social History of the World War II Rank and File. (Silver Spring, Maryland: CWP, 2004, 420pp.).
    Click here for a downloadable copy of: God, Country and Self-Interest. (Our web software is not able to duplicate the pagination, pictures and index of the hardcopy book.)

  • 4.0 LINKS.

  • CWPublishers .
  • WEB PAGE: http://www.angelfire.com/un/familyhistory
  • Isle of Anglesey County Council
    Council Offices
    Llangefni, Anglesey. LL77 7TW
    Telephone 01248 750057
  • Anglesey, Wales Library and Archives .
  • Bailey Family History .
  • Biodynamic Boutique (http://biodynamicboutique.wordpress.com) is our cousin Georgina Silbey's farm collective at Coupeville, Washington. They grow organic grains, such as Tibetan Purple Barley, Khorasan Wheat from Egypt, aka “Kamut,” and ‘Hank’ – a red hard spring wheat. Coop member Georgina Silbey is a nutritionist. She defines biodynamics as (1) working with nature as a guiding principle, tuning in to natural patterns and cycles, (2) focusing on the soil’s health, regarding tractor work, crop rotations, biodynamic sprays, (3) making and using the biodynamic preparations, out in the field, and in the compost, (4) planting by the moon, using the Stella Natura calendar to guide other field activities, (5) carrying a clear intent as the farmer to engage with the farm as a living organism and (6) listening and paying attention to all the elements, the wildlife, the invisible world above and below, and of course the humans. .
  • Gergen Family History in Alsweiler, Germany, in Steuben County, New York and in Montgomery County, Kansas 1700s-2000s .
  • CWPublisher Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/CWPublisher).
  • 5.0 PURPOSE

    It is our hope that in time, the Terrars-Tyrers-Eliases might be able to have an annual family reunion perhaps in Tylerstown. Many of our ancestors are buried there. The editors/contributors of this page are anyone that want to volunteer. Those who are helping are:


    Katie Griffiths White-Thomas


    Toby Terrar
    15405 Short Ridge Ct.
    Silver Spring, Maryland 20906
    (301) 598-5427


    Kathleen Bevan Sallee


    Margaret Haywood
    (Mary Terrar Rosser descendant)


    David Terrar
    Phone: 44 (0) 1727 866309
    44 (0) 7715 159423
    blog: www.businesstwozero.com



    Len Smith
    Branders Park Cottage
    Pembrokeshire SA680TT
    01 646 651892






    Huw Roberts
    Cyfrifydd Gellideg
    6 Heol Alfreda Yr Eglwys Newydd
    CAERDYDD CF14 2EH Wales, UK
    029 2069 4524


    Return to top of page.

    Last Updated December 11, 2004