Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

London Transport
Green Line Coach Routes 711–714

Last updated 04-08-06.

711
711
The Green Line brand was resurrected in the mid-1990s for a number of coach services from the Home Counties into central London. Among the companies participating were Arriva the Shires, Bee Line, County Bus, London & Country, Maidstone & District, Reading Buses, Southend Transport and Sovereign. This vinyl sticker likely dates from that period and hails from outside the TransportforLondon area.
711 OXFORD CIRCUS SUTTON REIGATE
This plate came from the western leg of the 711, en route to central London.
711 HIGH WYCOMBE VIA BEACONSFIELD
This is an older plate with the word “VIA”, which was later eliminated to allow for an extra destination instead. It will have come from somwhere west of central London—possibly Uxbridge—as implied by the choice of destinations.
711 UXBRIDGE BEACONSFIELD HIGH WYCOMBE
This plate from a westbound stop is likely to have come from central London.
711 SUTTON OXFORD CIRCUS HIGH WYCOMBE
This plate is from a northbound stop, probably in Reigate or Kingswood.

Route 711 ran from Reigate Garage and High Wycombe Garage via Lower Kingswood, Banstead, Sutton, Mitcham, Tooting Broadway, Clapham, Stockwell, Kennington, Trafalgar Square, Oxford Circus, Baker Street, Shepherd’s Bush, Acton Vale, Ealing Broadway, Hanwell, Southall, Hayes End, Uxbridge, Denham, Gerrards Cross, Beaconsfield and Loudwater. The route was finally withdrawn around 1978 when it was replaced on the western section by new Green Line route 790, operated jointly with City of Oxford Motor Services.


Route 712 was introduced in 1946 as part of the post-war re-instatement of the coach services and ran from Dorking to Luton via Leatherhead, Epsom, North Cheam, Morden, Tooting, Clapham Common, Stockwell, Victoria, Hyde Park Corner, Baker Street, Golders Green, Borehamwood, London Colney, St. Albans and Harpenden. In the early ’60s the 712 was diverted between Radlett and St. Albans to run via Park Street instead of London Colney. By 1964 service was reduced to Saturdays only and most journeys ran to Dunstable via St. Albans (or Markyate as route 712A), with only a few coaches to Luton during rush hours. Some journeys ran as route 712B to Whipsnade Park Zoo instead of Dunstable during the summer, suplementing the 726. The 712A and 712B were very quickly renumbered as plain 712. By 1968 the 712 again ran daily from Dorking to Dunstable, with some trips to Luton on Saturdays. Operated throughout most of the 1950s and all of the 1960s by the famous RF-class coaches, conversion to one-person operation came in 1969. In 1971 journeys to Luton were withdrawn and service between St. Albans and Dunstable was provided during Monday to Friday peak hours and Sunday only. In 1975 the 712 was withdrawn south of Victoria, replaced by new route 703, and north of St. Albans except for Whipsnade Zoo journeys. The remaining route was withdrawn in 1977 with replacement by new routes 707 and 717.

The number 712 was later used for a route between Bishop’s Stortford and Romford via Harlow, Epping, Abridge and Hainault which replaced part of the “’round London” 724 express. Routes 713 and 714 are described below.

712
712
This “E” plate with white lettering could have been for either of the 712 routes.
712 BOREHAMWOOD ST. ALBANS LUTON - 713 BOREHAMWOOD ST. ALBANS DUNSTABLE
712 AND 713 MORDEN EPSOM DORKING
The use of the word “AND” is unusual, but it eliminated the need to list the destinations twice. This “E” plate likely came from central or south London.
712-713-714
This plate would have come from one of the common sections of all three routes, either at Dorking or Marble Arch, or between St. Albans and Luton. Split Green Line plates with two routes were not common, let alone one with three!

713
713
This plate has a white reverse. The white lettering dates it from the 1970s.
713 MORDEN EPSOM DORKING
This “E” plate came from a southbound coach stop, likely in central London.

Route 713 was introduced in 1946 as part of the post-war re-instatement of the coach services. It ran between Dorking and Dunstable via Leatherhead, Epsom, North Cheam, Morden, Victoria, Hendon, Borehamwood and St. Albans. From the mid-1960s some journeys diverted at St. Albans to Luton. Operated throughout most of the 1950s and all of the 1960s by the famous RF-class coaches, conversion to one-person operation came in 1969. The Green Line network began to be run down in the 1970s, and 713 journeys north of St. Albans and south of Victoria were withdrawn in 1975, the latter being replaced by new route 703. The remaining route was withdrawn in 1977 with replacement by new routes 707 and 717.


Route 714 was introduced in 1946 as part of the post-war re-instatement of Green Line coach services. It ran between Baker Street and Dorking via Oxford Circus, Marble Arch, Hyde Park Corner, Kensington, Hammersmith, Richmond, Kingston, Surbiton, Hook, Chessington and Leatherhead. In 1951 it was extended northwards via King’s Cross, Archway, North Finchley, Barnet, South Mimms, London Colney, St. Albans and Harpenden to Luton to replace the withdrawn 727. Operated throughout most of the 1950s and all of the ’60s by the famous RF-class coaches, conversion to one-man-operation came in 1968. The 714 struggled on until 1977 when it was withdrawn north of Victoria, with the southern section not surviving much longer.

In its latter days (1968), route 717 ran between Baker Street and Wrothem via Marble Arch, Hyde Park Corner, Victoria, Elephant & Castle, New Cross, Lewisham, Eltham, Sidcup, Swanley, Farningham and West Kingsdown. The 717’s northern section from Welwyn Garden City via Hatfield, Potters Bar, Barnet, North Finchley and Golders Green to central London was withdrawn shortly before the end.

714
If you had wanted to add this mint-condition Green Line “FARE STAGE” “E” plate to your collection, you would have had to bid more than £500 on ebay to win it! → 714 BARNET ST. ALBANS LUTON FARE STAGE
714 DORKING-717
← This “E” plate is an especially interesting one as not only does it show two different routes, but only one of them includes a destination and the other is a rare route to find on “E” plates as it was a very early casulty. It would have been posted at Baker Street Station, Marylebone Road (Edgware Road) or Marble Arch, where space was at a premium on stop flags, and refers to the 717 Welwyn Garden City–Victoria (pre 4.11.64).



This four-panel leaflet for Green Line route 714 with a print code of 1276/LC 1278T/15M dates from 29 January 1977 (seven years into the London Country Bus Services era) when the route was withdrawn north of Victoria. Inside are fare- and timetables, with general information on the back. →
Route 714 timetable
← →
Click on any of the tiles below to go to images of the “E” plates and the route descriptions for that number series.