Synthesis of Methyl Benzoate
Post –Laboratory Questions
1. What are esters? What is their general structure?
Esters are alkyl molecules linked by oxygen atoms.
2. What is the role of the mineral acids in the esterification process?
To activate the oxygen atom which at the moment is part of the carboxylic acid. It is activated by removing the hydrogen with the conjugate base of the mineral acid. The conjugate base forms through the dehydration of the alcohol.
3. Give the structure of the product formed in the following esterification reaction.
4. What alcohol and carboxylic acid are required for the synthesis of the following esters?
METHYL BENZOATE REPORT SHEET
NAME Albert Lu LOCKER NUMBER 59
DATE 12 November 2004 LAB DAY AND TIME Fri 1105
A. WEIGHT of BENZOIC ACID from Cannizzaro Rxn 4.27 g
B. WEIGHT of BENZOIC ACID from Benzonitrile Rxn 0.98 g
C. Combined weight of BENZOIC ACID 5.25 g
D. VOLUME of METHANOL 2.5 x (C) 13.125 mL
E. VOLUME of CONC. SULFURIC ACID 0.3 x (C) 1.575 mL
F. VOLUME of DIETHYL ETHER 4.0 x (C) 21 mL
CALCULATION OF THEORETICAL YIELD
1. Molecular Weight of Benzoic Acid 122.123 g/mol
2. Moles of Benzoic Acid used 0.043 moles
3. Molecular Weight of Methyl Benzoate 136.15 g/mol
4. Theoretical Yield of Methyl Benzoate 5.853 g
1. BOILING POINT of Methyl Benzoate 199.6 °C
2. Actual Yield of Methyl Benzoate 2.98 g
3. Percent Yield 50.9 %