Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Scottish Transporation

The minimum age for driving a car in the UK is 17, and 16 for riding a moped or motorbike with a maximum engine capacity of 50cc.

Although UK law does not place an upper age limit on driving (it is considered to be the drivers responsibility to assess their continuing ability to drive safely), the law does require your driving license to be renewed when you reach 70 years of age, and every 3 years from that point on.

If your age has brought on problems with your sight, it is worth noting that it is an offense to drive a vehicle if you can't pass the general road sight test. This requires you to be able to read a standard number (registration) plate from a distance of 20.5m / 67ft, in good daylight.

Drive on the left hand side of the roads when in the UK.

On roads with more than one lane, keep to the left unless overtaking - always overtake to the right. Give way to traffic coming from the right, for example, when cossing a roundabout.

Never cross (or straddle) a solid white line found along the centre of a road, as this indicates that overtaking is forbidden over that stretch of road.

The roads in the UK are generally in good condition, but you may find some of the smaller country roads difficult to get used to - particularly those with a single lane and 'passing places' for you to squeeze past oncoming vehicles.

You will find many road signs in the UK - in fact there's one at virtually every junction you come to. Motorways can be recognised by the blue background on the signs posted along them. The major roads are referred to as 'A' and 'B' roads (where the B roads are the smaller of the two) and the signs found along them have a green background.

Helmets are compulsory when riding a motorbike in the UK, and it is generally advised that you ride with your dipped headlights on during the day, to increase your visibility to other road users. Motorbikes with an engine capacity of 50cc or less are not allowed on motorways.

When towing a caravan, trailer or another vehicle you are limited to 60mph / kph (even on roads where the other traffic is able to drive faster), and you must not use the outer lane - that is, the lane to the extreme right of your side of the road.

Yellow lines at the side of a road indicate that there is some form of parking restriction - check the small signposts nearby for the details of the restrictions. Double yellow lines mean there is no parking allowed at any time, unless you are displaying a disabled badge and there is no where more suitable for you to park.

Much of the parking in the towns / cities of the UK uses a Pay-and Display system. You put money into a machine nearby in exchange for a ticket, which allows you to park for a certain amount of time. The ticket must be displayed prominently on your dashboard.

There are no stretches of road in the UK that are tolled, although there are some bridges and tunnels that feature a toll - for example the Dartford bridge and tunnel, and the Mersey tunnels leading to and from Liverpool.

You must be able to produce your driving license, insurance papers and also your proof of ownership or registration documents (if you own the vehicle you are driving) for the police if they so request. If you don't have them with you, they will specify the number of days you have in which to take them to a police station.