Texas Plantation Owners
Jared E. Groce, one of the Old Three Hundred came to Texas January of 1822 with more than ninety slaves. He was born in Virginia and lived in Georgia and Alabama. Groce settled by the Brazos river, four miles outh of the present town of Hempsted. Jared moved to Grimes County in order to escape the malaria of the Brazos River bottoms and established a new plantation called Groce's Retreat.
John McNeel and his sons and a grandson established five plantations along the brazos and Bernard rivers. One of the plantations was named China Grove. Mcneel had already established himself and raised a cotton crop in 1830 that yielded five thousand dollars.
John Sweeny from Tennesssee established a plantation in Brazoria County.
David, Robert and Andrew came from Kentucky and established the largest sugar planatation in Texas and three sucessful cotton plantations.
Col. Morgan L. Smith and John Adriance were joint owners of a sugar plantation called Waldeck. It was later sold to Hamblin Bass.
Stephen F. Austin's sister and brother-in-law, Emily and James Perry, owned a plantation of the Gulf of Mexico called Peach Point.
Julien Devereux moved to Texas after the panic of 1837 and established Monte Verdi in Rusk County.
William T. Scott acquired five plantation in Harrison County.
Logan A. Stroud of Limestone County was the largest slave owner in that county (156 slaves) and owned Pleasant Retreat.
James R. Robertson , the empresario's cousin owned a plantation in the Brazos Valley as early as 1840. His land was in the area of the Falls of the Brazos and he owned twenty-seven slaves ath that time. (Robertson County)
Andrew Cavitt in the Wheelock, Robertson County, owned sixteen slaves in 1837.
Joseph Harlan developed a plantation about seven miles west of present Calvert, Robertson County about 1837.
Ruben Anderson in 1849 gave his two sons, Thomas and William Anderson, fifty slaves to work a plantation near Port Sullivan.