Which Do You Know Best?
A Quiz about U.S. History and T.V. Theme Songs
Links to Midis, Real Audio, and Other Online Music Sources with T.V. Theme Songs
This exercise was developed as a result of a class discussion when
students began a rather interesting discussion about which they knew best:
U.S. History or T.V. The concensus was most would know more about t.v., but
some believed they would know history just as well. So, this exercise grew from
While there are several ways to do this exercise, one way is to divide the
class into two sides (or in case of a very large class, they might work better in
several groups). This makes it competitive, however. It can also be done as
a whole class exercise for bonus points or whatever. Alternate TV and history
questions. If done in groups, give each group one of each. Questions may be given in order
or drawn by students. Students may identify T.V. theme songs by humming the tune or
identifying recordings (either from the internet if available in the classroom or
from pre-recorded excerpts). Another option is to have students choose whether to
hum or identify the tune with humming receiving more points than identification.
Another option is to use this exercises specifically for the 1950s and 60s with
history questions and theme songs from that era only. Movie theme songs may be used also.
The table below uses t.v. theme songs, but trivia could be used just as well.
U.S. History Questions
To 1877 Questions //
1877 to Present Questions
To 1877 Questions
- Tenochtitlan was the capital of what civilization?
- Name one of the American Indian language groups who
lived along the East Coast of today's U.S. when the English
- What was the first European colony in today's contiguous 48 states?
- Who is believed to be the first African in Texas?
- What religious group dominated colonial Massachusetts?
- What religious group dominated colonial Pennsylvania?
- What is the "Virginia Reel"?
- From what part of Africa did most slaves come?
- What were the original 13 English colonies in today's U.S.?
- In what document can the phrase "all men are created equal" be found?
- Who was the King of England during the American Revolution?
1877 to Present Questions
T.V. Theme Songs
- "Hogan's Heroes"
- "I Love Lucy"
- "Leave It To Beaver"
- "Green Acres"
- "Happy Days"
- "Sanford & Son"
- "All In the Family"
- "The Jeffersons"
- "Good Times"
- "The Flintstones"
- "Dick Van Dyke Show"
- "Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- "Beverly Hillbillies"
- "Perry Mason"
- "Laverne & Shirley"
- "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood"
- "Sesame Street"
- "ABC Monday Night Football"
- "Brady Bunch"
- "Addams Family"
- "The Munsters"
- "Andy Griffith Show"
- "Twilight Zone"
- "Star Trek"
- "Married with Children"
- "The Simpsons"
- "The Wild Wild West"
- "Daniel Boone"
- "Monty Python's Flying Circus"
- "Home Improvement"
- "General Hospital"
- "Gilligan's Island"
- "Hawaii Five-0"
- "3rd Rock from the Sun"
- "Little House on the Prairie"
- "Full House"
Sound Resources Online
TV Theme Songs
Matty G's TV Theme Songs
This page brought to you by: