Many Texas military posts were established in the early 1850s for protection
of the settlers and some were built after the Civil War. Today, many are in
varying stages of ruin and restoration. Most of the forts are open to the
public. All photos taken by Webmaster.
FORT BELKNAP - is located 3 miles south of Newcastle and has one original
building and 6 others replicated including a museum.
FORT BLAIR - a small family fort (nonmilitary installation) constructed
during the Civil War by early settlers to Eastland County on land owned by
C.C. Blair for protection from Comanche Indian attacks. The fort contained
12 log cabins and was a frequent stopping place for Texas Rangers. It served
for five years and the land later became the town of Desdemona. A historical
marked was placed near the site of the fort.
FORT BLISS - is located in El Paso.
FORT CHADBOURNE (1852-68) - is located 11 miles north of Bronte and its ruins
are on private property but the fort is now open to the public.
FORT CONCHO - is located in San Angelo and includes 17 buildings restored
to their original appearance.
FORT DAVIS - is located near Fort Davis with partially restored and fully
restored buildings scattered throughout the 474 acre grounds including a
FORT GRIFFIN (1867-81) - is located 15 miles north of Albany and includes
reconstructed buildings. A large heard of Longhorns are nearby.
FORT HOOD - is located in Killeen.
FORT LANCASTER - established in 1855 and is located between Sheffield
and Ozona. The site contains ruins of a once sizable military fort with
visitor center and self-guided tours.
FORT LEATON - is located in Presidio.
FORT MARTIN SCOTT - is located in Fredericksburg.
FORT MASON (1851-69) - is located near Mason and ruins of the fort lie on
private property but visitor can inspect the reconstructed officers'
FORT MCKAVETT is located near Fort McKavett and holds 16 restored buildings.
OLD FORT PARKER - is located near Groesbeck.
FORT PHANTOM HILL - located north of Abilene and the ruins stands today on
private land but accessible to the public.
FORT RICHARDSON (1868-78) - is located south of Jacksboro and has
seven original buildings, including the commissary, bakery, magazine,
hospital, and morgue.
FORT SAM HOUSTON - is located in San Antonio.
FORT STOCKTON - is located near Fort Stockton.