Descendants of John Elmore Sr.
John4 Elmore, Sr. (possibly John Bernard Elmore) (Peter3, Peter2, Thomas1) was born January 22, 1724/25 in New Kent Co. VA, and died Abt 1786. He married Mary.
It is believed that all of John & Mary's children were born in either Lunenburg Co. VA or neighboring Brunswick Co. After the death of John's father in 1738, the whole Elmore family, headed by John's grandmother Rebecca, moved from New Kent Co. to neighboring Henrico Co. VA. The family settled on land bordering the Chickamominy River John, still a young boy, was among the family members who removed to these new lands and it was here that John grew into manhood.
During the early years of the Revolutionary War, John and his family migrated to Orange Co. NC. In the 1779 tax list for that county the names of both John Elmore and his son John appear.
In 1765 William Martin Jr. bought 92 acres on the North side of Middle Cedar Creek from John Elmore, "...along William Martin's line & County Line." (this appears to be the same land he purchased in 1759 from Robert Moore Sr.) Wit: Robert Moore, Valentine Moore, Philemon Lacy.
Children of John and Mary Elmore are:
Generation No. 2
- Peter5 Elmore, born August 01, 1747.
- Randolph Elmore, born Abt 1750.
- John Elmore, Jr., born Abt 1753 in Brunswick or Lunenburg Co. VA. (1800 Orange Co. census: 1 male under 10; 1 male 45 and over; 1 female 26-45; 1 female over 45)
- James Elmore, born Abt 1756.
- William Elmore, Sr., born February 04, 1759 in VA.; died Aft 1832. (see below)
- Mary Elmore, (unproven daughter) born Abt 1761 in Haw River Alamance NC. or VA.; died September 07, 1844 in Cherokee Co. SC. (see below)
- Ann Elmore, (unproven daughter) born Abt 1762; died Bef 1814. (see below)
William5 Elmore, Sr. (John4, Peter3, Peter2, Thomas1) was born February 04, 1759 in VA., and died Aft 1832. (notes: Revolutionary War soldier, possibly 1st VA Regiment; moved to Lincoln Co. NC prior to 1790; wrote a letter concerning Edward Rippy's war record; some researchers disagree about who fathered William). He married Mary Rippy, Sarah June 22, 1782 in Orange Co. NC., daughter of Edward Rippy and Susannah Thomas.
Children of William Elmore and Mary Rippy are:
Mary5 Elmore (John4, Peter3, Peter2, Thomas1) was born Abt 1761 in Haw River Alamance NC. or VA., and died September 07, 1844 in Cherokee Co. SC.. She married Edward R. Rippy, Jr. March 16, 1782 in Orange Co. NC. (near Haw River), son of Edward Rippy and Susannah Thomas. (buried in Buffalo Baptist Church Cemetery, Cherokee Co. SC; tombstone reads: "Mary Rippy 1761 who died September 7, 1844, aged 84"; some researchers believe Mary was the daughter of Athanasius Elmore; the Lutts book lists her birthplace as Virginia.)
- Edward6 Elmore.
- Randall Elmore.
- Jesse Elmore, born Abt 1787. He married Catherine.
- William Elmore, Jr., born September 28, 1790; died Bef 1870. He married Mary Estes.
Children of Mary Elmore and Edward Rippy are:
Ann5 Elmore (John4, Peter3, Peter2, Thomas1) was born Abt 1762, and died Bef 1814. She married (1) Hugh Kerr. She married (2) James McSwain, Sr. May 01, 1782 in Orange Co. NC.
- Sarah6 Rippy, Sally, born April 28, 1789 in Rutherford Co. NC.; died October 18, 1868 in Lawrence Co. TN.. She married Valentine Martin December 24, 1808 in Cleveland Co. NC..
- Edward Ross Rippy, III Squire Ned, born 1791 in Rutherford Co. NC. (Ceveland Co.); died May 15, 1874. He married (1) Mary Martin, Polly May 31, 1810 in Lincoln Co. NC. (see below) He married (2) Selina Hopper, Salena June 04, 1840. He married (3) Margaret Roach, Peggy January 25, 1848. He married (4) Elizabeth Nee November 1865.
- James M. Rippy, born April 1793 in Rutherford Co. NC. (Ceveland Co.); died February 14, 1867. He married (1) Mary Holt, Polly. He married (2) Rebecca Frances June 11, 1836 in Rutherford Co. TN..
- Jesse Rippy, born 1795 in Rutherford Co. NC. (Ceveland Co.); died in GA.. He married Sally Lowry.
- Mary Rippy, Polly, born 1797 in Rutherford Co. NC. (Ceveland Co.); died in MS.. She married Guion Black.
- Anna Rippy, born 1801 in Rutherford Co. NC. (Ceveland Co.); died 1880 in Cleveland Co. NC.. She married Mathias Turner.
- Mastin Martin Rippy, born October 12, 1802 in Cleveland Co. NC.; died December 03, 1892 in Cherokee Co. SC.. He married Mary Arnold June 18, 1820.
Child of Ann Elmore and James McSwain is:
Generation No. 3
- James6 McSwain, Jr., born August 01, 1789; died September 03, 1851. He married (1) Susannah Hopper. He married (2) Rachel Riggins. He married (3) Margaret.
Edward Ross6 Rippy, III "Squire Ned" (Mary5 Elmore, John4, Peter3, Peter2, Thomas1) was born 1791 in Rutherford Co. NC. (Cleveland Co.), and died May 15, 1874. He married (1) Mary Martin, Polly May 31, 1810 in Lincoln Co. NC, daughter of William Martin and Hannah Irvin. He married (2) Selina Hopper, Salena June 04, 1840, daughter of Charles Hopper and Barbara Sarratt. He married (3) Margaret Roach, Peggy January 25, 1848, daughter of Joseph Roach and Jane. He married (4) Elizabeth Nee November 1865.
Children of Edward Rippy and Mary Martin are:
Note: Some of this information comes from "The Trunk of an Elmore Family Tree" by William E. Elmore, published Florissant, MO. 1992.
- Sarah7 Rippy, Sally, born March 26, 1811 in York Dist. SC.; died April 24, 1887. She married Thomas Mart Martin, Marcus.
- William Rippy, Billy, born November 10, 1813 in Cleveland Co. NC.; died December 22, 1895. He married (1) Mary Newell Crawford. He married (2) Marena Mooney (Mauney), Reney June 15, 1865.
- Lucinda Rippy, Cindy, born September 21, 1815; died July 26, 1912. She married Posey Martin, Hose 1841.
- James Dry Rippy, Dry Lim, born September 17, 1817 in NC; died August 01, 1887 in Cleveland Co. NC.. He married Minerva Rippy.
- Mary Rippy, born March 27, 1820; died October 1825 in Cherokee Co. SC..
- Athenatius Elmore Rippy, born July 10, 1822; died January 20, 1879. He married Elizabeth Martin.
- Edward Martin Rippy, Ned, born May 30, 1824; died March 18, 1910. He married Mary Hopper, Polly.
- Hannah Rippy, born June 15, 1826. She married Alonzo Ellis.
- Polly Moore Rippy, born November 29, 1828. She married (1) Marcus Ellis, Mark. She married (2) Bilman McBregas.
- Elizabeth Ann Cordelia Rippy, born August 19, 1830; died June 14, 1846 in Cherokee Co. SC..
- Susanna Almeda Rippy, Susan, born October 20, 1832; died March 07, 1902. She married David William Morrow, Murhor.
- Martha Caroline Rippy, born December 04, 1834. She married Phillip Sepaugh.
- Samuel Houston Rippy, Mighty Hunter, born December 24, 1836; died May 28, 1915 in Cherokee Co. SC.. He married Cynthia Sepaugh September 21, 1864.
Back to Martin Page
Due to time and space constraints the above material has been somewhat abreviated. Any comments or corrections to this information would be greatly appreciated. Please send them to me... Jeffrey Lee Martin