DEBRAY, XAVIER BLANCHARD (1819-1895). Xavier Blanchard Debray, soldier, was born in Epinel, France, in 1819. He attended the French Military Academy at St. Cyr and served in the French diplomatic service until he immigrated to the United States via New York on September 25, 1848. He moved to Texas in 1852, settled in San Antonio, and was naturalized there on April 5, 1855. That same year he established a Spanish newspaper with A. A. Lewis called El Bejareņo. Later he worked in the General Land Office as a translator. He also established an academy that prospered until the Civil War began. He served as aide-de-camp to Governor Edward Clark and was major of the Second Texas Infantry. In December 1861 he was elected lieutenant colonel and commander of Debray's Texas Cavalry battalion and in March 1862 colonel of the Twenty-sixth Texas Cavalry. From January to June of 1862 he commanded on Galveston Island. In July he assumed command of the military subdistrict of Houston in the Department of Texas. He commanded some of the Confederate troops in the recapture of Galveston on January 1, 1863. On February 13, 1863, he was relieved of command of the eastern subdivision of Texas in the Trans-Mississippi Department, and on May 30 he took command of the troops on Galveston Island in the District of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. Although he was assigned temporary command of the eastern subdistrict of Texas in June 1863, by July 1 he had resumed his position on Galveston Island. Debray led his regiment in the Red River campaign in Louisiana during the spring of 1864. For his participation in the battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill, he was appointed brigadier general by General Edmund Kirby Smith on April 13, 1804, but this was never confirmed by President Jefferson Davis. Nevertheless, he commanded a brigade consisting of the Twenty-third, Twenty-sixth, and Thirty-second Texas Cavalry regiments. Debray discharged his men on March 24, 1865. After the war he moved to Houston and then to Galveston before eventually returning to his position as translator in the General Land Office. He died in Austin on January 6, 1895, and was buried in the State Cemetery.
Texans in the Civil War
The General Store