Win Some, Lose Some

By Gail G.

 

Disclaimer: I do not own the Cartwright characters. Except for Jessica and Juliet O'Malley.

 

The sound of arguing drew me from my work in the barn. I laid down the harness I was working on so that I could see which of my children were bickering.

As I walked from the barn I shielded my eyes from the afternoon sun. The sun was just overhead and was warm when I stepped outside into the yard.

"Joseph Cartwright, you did that on purpose!" I could hear Jess yelling at my youngest son as I walked around the barn. I am not pleased that they are once again fighting. We just had a talk about this yesterday.

"No, I didn’t. But next time I might." Joe’s voice rang into the air. As my eyes finally caught sight of the feuding children, I noticed Joe taking a step closer, his fists clenched in small balls.

Adam, Hoss, and Julie stood nearby–not one of them trying to stop the impending brawl. The trio stood very still. They each had shocked looks on their faces. I’m not sure if they were surprised by the fact that Jess and Joe were fighting, or if they were surprised that Jessica stood dripping wet while trying to control her temper.

Ever since the adoption had become final, the Cartwright house has been turned upside down. You would think that Joe and Jess were true blooded brother and sister. The way they bicker and fight all the time is tiring. We have already had several discussions regarding tempers and expected behavior.

"Jo-seph, Jess-ica, that’s enough," I spoke in my lowest voice. I stepped between the two. "What happened?"

Both Jessica and Joseph started talking at the same time. I closed my eyes for just a moment. I wanted to get my thoughts collected before I spoke.

"Stop it! Both of you." I ran my hand down my face. "One at a time please. Jess, you first."

A frown came across Joe’s face. "Why does she get to go first?"

I took a deep breath as I glanced around the yard. This is when I noticed our audience. "Adam, Hoss, Julie, I believe the three of you have some chores to do."

"Yes, Pa," Adam said, as he turned to go back into the barn.

"Yes, sir," Hoss replied, as he guided Julie away from the scene.

"Now, what happened, Jessica?" I noticed Joe frown when I said Jess’s name. I’m sure he was upset because I never answered his question.

Jess started pointing her finger at her new brother. "He dumped a bucket of dirty water on my head!" Joe’s eyes grew large and his face started turning red.

"Pa! It was an accident. Honest." Joe shouted at Jess. Jess was so upset her head was shaking and her eyes were burning with fury.

I knew that the moment Joseph said the word ‘honest’ that he was not being truthful.

"Jess, please go have Hop Sing get a you a bath ready." I waved my hand toward the house.

"Pa. . .that’s not fair I have to take a bath. What about him?" Jessica threw her right arm up signaling to Joe.

I placed my hand on Jessica’s shoulder and slightly pushed her to the back door. "Never mind him. You worry about yourself, young lady."

"Yes, Pa." Jessica mumbled as she walked to the house. She still had a frown on her face when she climbed the step to go inside.

After Jessica was out of sight, I turned my attention to my youngest son. I could tell he was nervous. He was wringing his hands together and chewing on his bottom lip. I crooked my finger and then pointed to the spot directly in front of me.

Joe walked as slowly as possible. When he finally arrived at the appointed spot, I started asking questions. "Jo-seph?"

Joe gulped, "yes, sir, Pa?"

"Would you like to explain how you dumped a whole bucket of dirty water on your sister’s head?" I placed my hands to my hips. This action made Joe more nervous.

"UMM....well, Pa, sir, ummmm. . .we were washin’ the windows like you told us to. . ." Joe paused as he shifted on his feet.

"Yes?" I moved my hands closer to my belt buckle.

Joe sucked in a huge breath of air. "And, well, she kept tellin’ me I was doin’ it wrong. And when she got down off the ladder, I pushed the bucket and it fell on her head." The words flew out of Joe’s mouth so fast that if you hadn’t been paying attention you would not have understood anything he had said.

"I see. Well, you will apologize to Jessica. You may also finish washing the windows by yourself." Joe’s mouth flew open even though he did not speak.

After a moment he started to protest. "Pa, I don’t think that’s fair." Little Joe stood rigid. I think after he saw the grimace on my face he realized I was not taking another minute of his attitude.

"Would you like to repeat that?" I said as I cocked my head and leaned forward.

"Umm. . .no, sir." Joe’s lips were puckered to the right side of his face. I do believe he was thinking about the consequences if he did not straighten up right now.

"Good. You can go get started on the windows. When Jessica is done bathing then you can apologize." I pointed my left hand toward the house.

"Yes, Pa, sir," Joe answered. He then started to walk past me. As he did I swatted his behind with my right hand. It wasn’t a small swat either; I made sure he would feel it for a good long while.

He turned and looked at me with a puzzled look on his face."What was that for?"

I crossed my arms across my chest. "Just a sample of what is to come if you don’t watch yourself, young man."

Joe rubbed his backside with his left hand. "Yes, Pa." He then went back over to the ladder and climbed it so he could finish his chore.

After Jessica was done with her bath, Joseph apologized as he was told to do. Thankfully the rest of the morning was uneventful. We all did our chores around the yard and in the barn.

After lunch everyone sat on the front porch. I had decided that since we had all worked hard that we deserved a break.

I sat on the wooden bench, my eyes closed. I took in the sounds around me. The birds were chirping; Jess and Joe were discussing something about the best way to catch a fish. Hoss was going on and on about how good lunch was; Adam simply kept answering with an "uh huh."

Julie was playing with her doll on the other side of the porch. She was singing it a lullaby so her baby would go fast asleep. From inside the house, I could hear the clattering of the dishes as Hop Sing put them away. I tried to get him to join us, but he said he would later.

Suddenly all the usual sounds stopped as we heard the sound of horses’ hooves enter the yard. I opened my eyes and glanced up. Two men were approaching the yard, followed by a small wagon. At the back of the wagon there were two horses tied.

"Hoss, go get the gun," I said in an urgent voice. I did not know who these men were or what they wanted. I did not want to take any chances with my family. "Girls, go into to the house, please."

As the girls turned to go inside, Hoss came back out with the rifle. "May I help you?" I called across the yard.

One of the men called back, "I’m lookin’ for a Ben Cartwright."

Both the men’s clothes looked dirty and worn. Their faces were tan from the sun, and they looked as if they had not rested for days.

"You found him." I took the rifle from Hoss and stepped out into the yard. Adam was about to follow, but I motioned for him to stay on the porch. I did not look back to see if he followed my order. Knowing Adam, he rolled his eyes at my suggestion.

"What may I help you with?" I asked as I neared the men.

"Whoa, mister, there is no need for no gun. We just have a delivery." The first man pointed back to the wagon.

"What kind of delivery?" I asked as I glanced from one man to the other.

The younger of the two men pushed his hat farther onto his head. "Well, Mr. Weber, an attorney in New Orleans, hired us to bring this here stuff to the O’Malley girls. Do you know who they are?"

"We have a note, mister." The older man reached into his vest pocket and pulled out an envelope. I walked over and took the letter from the man. I opened it slowly to read what was inside.

Sure enough, Mr. Weber had been John O’Malley’s attorney. He had hired these two men to bring the girls their trunks, a few items that belonged to their parents, and their horses.

"I’m sorry for being so rude. You just never know about people today. Why don’t you two come in for a bite to eat." I refolded the letter as the two dismounted their horses.

"My name is Sam Williams. This here is my son, Rufus." Sam reached out his hand so I could shake it.

"It’s nice to meet you both. Would you like to wash up before you join us for dinner?" I looked over the weary men.

"That would be real nice, Mr. Cartwright." Sam smiled as he went to retrieve a bag from the wagon.

He then pointed to the horses tied to the back. "Those horses belong to the girls. Everything else in the wagon is theirs too."

I nodded. "Hoss, please tell Hop Sing that we will be having dinner guests. Also get the tub ready so that Sam and Rufus can bathe."

I heard Hoss answer with a "yes, Pa." I could hear his boot steps as he walked into the house.

"Adam, please take care of these horses. Joe can help you." I waved my hand to wagon. There were two horses pulling the wagon and the two tied to the back.

"Yes, Pa. Come on, Joe." I watched as Adam and Joe unhitched the animals and lead them into the barn.

Hoss stepped out onto the front porch. "Pa, the bath water is ready."

"Thank you, Hoss. Please show Sam and Rufus inside." I headed to the barn to help with the horses.

After the horses were taken care of, I went into the house to get the girls. "Jess, Julie, I need to speak to you for a moment."

They both walked to the doorway where I was still standing. I think they thought they were in some sort of trouble. Jess had a nervous look on her face and Julie was chewing her bottom lip.

"Yes, Pa?" Jess answered for both of them.

"I need for you to come to the barn for a minute." I turned to step of the porch. I could hear their small steps behind me.

When we reached the barn, I opened the heavy doors and the girls stepped inside. It only took Jess a moment to recognize her horse.

"REBEL!!!" Jessica yelled at she walked toward her horse. Julie reacted in the same way when she spotted her black mare.

"Pa? How did you get our horses? Julie asked as she reached over and patted her horse on its soft nose.

I smiled broadly at their excitement. "They were delivered to the house. Mr. Williams and his son Rufus brought them. They also delivered your trunks and a few things that belonged to your parents.

When I said that, Jessica’s face became solemn. Julie, on the other hand, had tears well up in her eyes. I squatted down on my heels and opened my arms. Both young girls flew into my embrace and sobbed uncontrollably.

"I didn’t mean to upset you." I rubbed their backs as they tried to catch their breath.

"It’s okay, Pa. It’s that we had kinda forgotten about all the sad things that had happened." Jess ran her grimy hand across her face to wipe away the tears.

"I see. Do you want to talk about it?" I reached into my pocket and pulled out my clean handkerchief. I then handed it to Julie. She blew her nose and tried to hand the used handkerchief to Jess. Jess shook her head and had a disgusted look on her face.

"Pa?" Jess spoke in a whisper.

"Yes, Jess?" I’m sure I had a concerned look on my face. I could tell she had something she needed to say.

"I feel bad ‘cuz I’m so happy with you." Jessica then started to weep once again.

I pulled her back into my arms. "Jessica, your real father wanted you to be happy. He would not be pleased if he thought you were sad. That’s why he sent you here–so that you would have a happy home."

Julie pushed away from me slightly. "So our real pa wouldn’t be mad ‘cuz we love you?" Her lips quivered as she spoke.

I hugged them both tightly. "Of course not--he wants you to be happy. That was his last wish, was it not?"

"Yes, Pa, it was." Jess relaxed in my arms.

"Now, why don’t you two wipe your noses and then you can tell me about your horses." I patted each of the girls on the back as I started to stand.

The girls wiped their faces with their small hands. This made me grin as I watched them--instead of cleaning their faces, it smeared the dirt around even more.

"Are you all better now?" I asked, as I moved closer to the animals in the stalls.

Jessica ran up and stood to my left, as Julie scurried to my right.

Julie tugged on my sleeve. "That one is mine, Pa. Her name is Echo." I looked over at the beautiful black mare. Its coat shined liked the sun. I could see that this animal had been well cared for.

Jessica brought me back to attention. "This one is mine." She pointed to the gray mare in the stall next to her sister’s. "Her name is Rebel."

I nodded as I watched the gray mare jerk its head up and down. "She is lovely, Jess."

"I never thought I would see her again." Jessica sighed as she patted the horse’s head.

"Well, they are both good looking horses. I think perhaps we will need to go over a few rules regarding what is and is not acceptable when it comes to your riding them. We will discuss that later. Right now we have dinner guests waiting for us. Then the two of you will need to go through your trunks." I gestured toward the barn door.

Julie blew one last kiss to her friend as she walked away.

I heard Jess speak softly to her mare. I could not hear what she was exactly saying, but by the expression on her face, I’m sure she was telling Rebel she loved her.

Dinner was filled with excitement as Sam and Rufus told of their adventures traveling west. We, of course, have taken the exact same trip; but the way Sam and Rufus told about it made their trip seem so much more interesting.

I offered for the two men to sleep at the house tonight. However, they were wanting to get into town so they could buy supplies. They would be heading for California first thing tomorrow morning.

After we finished eating, Jess and Julie helped Hop Sing with the dishes. I had Adam and Hoss unload the girls’ things from the wagon. We then bid goodbye to our new friends and wished them luck.

"Carry those trunks into the girls’ room, please. I’ll take in the rocking chair, then we will come back for the two crates." I did not look to see if Adam and Hoss were following my instructions. I picked up the rocking chair and carried it inside.

A moment later the boys walked in with the trunks. They packed them into the girls’ room and placed one at the foot of each small bed.

"Pa, we will go get the crates and bring them inside." Adam said as Hoss followed behind him.

I nodded to the boys as they walked out the door.

"Girls, are you finished helping Hop Sing?"

"Almost, Pa." Jessica washed another dish and handed it to Julie to dry.

I could tell they were trying to hurry. I’m sure the excitement was overwhelming for them.

Jess was shoving dishes at Julie so fast that Julie barely had time to set the first dish down.

I chuckled to myself as I watched them. These were two amazing girls--they have been through so much the past few months. Yet, they still are healthy happy children. A few months ago, I would never have expected to be the father of two girls. Hmmm, you just never know God’s plan for you.

When they finally finished they ran into their room. I could hear the creaking of the hinges as the girls opened their trunks. There was then giggles and they were each talking really fast.

Adam and Hoss came through the door carrying the crates.

"Pa, what do you want us to do with these?" Hoss asked as he took a deep breath.

I pointed to the table. "Just set them there. Joseph, please go out to the barn and get the hammer and crowbar."

I heard Joe sigh deeply. "Pa. . .why do I always have to fetch everything?"

I’m not sure what has gotten into Joseph lately. Every time I ask him to do anything, we always end up in a huge discussion.

I moved over and stood directly in front of my youngest son. He was sitting on the settee, with a scowl on his face.

"Young man, you’re not suppose to question as to why I ask you to do things. You are suppose to do as I ask immediately." I raised my eyebrow when Joseph did not bother to even look up at me.

"Jo-seph." I spoke in warning tone. Adam stood beside the table shaking his head, while Hoss just watched in amazement. Those two act as if they have never been in trouble. But I can tell you that just isn’t so.

Joe slowly rose his head so that he was looking at me. The frown on his face made it evident that he did not like what I was saying.

This young man was getting ready to step over the line. He was being disrespectful and he knew it.

"Joseph," I motioned for him to stand, "why don’t you take a walk with me."

"Why? And where to?" Little Joe still had not moved from his spot.

"Jo-seph. Now." Joe bounded to his feet and followed me out the front door.

I started walking toward the barn. When I looked over my shoulder to see if Little Joe was following, I noticed he had paused on the front porch.

Now, I’m sure my youngest was thinking I was taking him to the barn to paddle his behind, which I should have done. But I more wanted to discuss his recent disrespectfulness and try to get to the bottom of it.

Once in the barn, I set my young son’s ears afire. I made it perfectly clear that I wouldn’t tolerate any more of his out of control attitude.

Joe shuffled his feet and answered with a quick, "yes, sir." He then gathered the crowbar and hammer as I asked him to earlier. We walked silently back to the house. Joe walked with his shoulders slumped. He hates when I am disappointed in him; however, the lecture he received was forthcoming and he knew it.

Once inside I suggested to Joe that he could go get ready for bed.

"But Pa. . .it’s still really early." Joe stood almost pouting.

I spoke to Joe over the sounds of me trying to open the crates. "I’m well aware of the time, young man. I feel some extra rest would do you good."

Joe mumbled under his breath as he walked to the bunk room.

"What was that, Joseph?" I asked as I laid the hammer on the table.

Joe answered back quickly, "Nothin’, Pa, I didn’t say anything."

I nodded my head. "Okay, then go get ready for bed. I’ll be there in a moment to tuck you in." I then heard the bunk room door open and close.

"Pa? What’s in them crates?" Hoss asked, as he was trying to peer inside the opened box.

I shifted through the papers inside the carton. "It looks like various legal documents." I then pulled out a family bible. "It’s personal belongings of Mr. and Mrs. O’Malley."

I then moved to the second crate and opened it It contained some photographs of the girls. There was also a framed picture of the John and Meg, a jewelry box filled with a selection of items, and a few books.

"I suppose the family’s attorney thought the girls needed something to remember their parents by. I find it to be a lovely gesture. We also have the rocking chair that he sent. I placed it in the corner and would appreciate it if you two would stay out of it till the girls are ready to share." I pointed to the chair and both young men nodded their heads in understanding.

The rest of the evening was spent listening to the girls tell about everything inside their trunks and the treasures that had been sent in the crates. They were so excited that I did not think they would ever calm down to get to bed.

As I tucked them both in, I reminded them that we would set some rules regarding their horses tomorrow. I kissed each on their forehead and told them that I love them both with all my heart.

I left the room hearing excited whispers and girlish giggling. I would not spoil their fun tonight-- I would allow them to reminisce about their past. I don’t want them to ever forget who their real parents were or how their lives used to be.

I walked through the main room of the house toward the bunk room. Adam was perched in the chair beside the fireplace submerged in a book. Hoss sat in the chair opposite of his brother whittling something out of a block of wood.

"Boys, I want you in bed soon,." I announced, as I walked by.

Adam raised his eyes from his book. "Yes, Pa, I won’t be staying up much longer. I just want to finish this chapter."

"Me neither, Pa, I’m just going to work on this for a few more minutes." Hoss said as he turned the piece of wood around in his hands several times.

"That’s fine. I’m going to go tell your brother good night. Then I will be turning in myself." I then opened the bunk room door and walked inside.

Joe was lying on his bed–eyes red from crying. I walked over and sat down beside him.

"Joe, do you want to tell me about it?" I reached over and brushed a stray piece of hair out of the youngster’s eyes. I put the thought in the back of my mind that this young man needed a haircut and soon.

Joe sniffed. "Pa, I’m real sorry ‘bout the way I been actin’. It’s just. . .well. . .I. . .." Joe hesitated.

"What is it, Joe? You know you can talk to me about anything." Joe sat up in his bed.

"Pa, I guess I’m jeal.. .us of the girls." Joe’s face had such a serious look on it, I had a hard time not laughing.

I shifted my position so that I was looking at Little Joe in the face. "You mean you are jealous of Jess and Julie?"

Joe took a deep breath. "Yes, Pa, I guess I am. I don’t mean to be, but I can’t help it."

It had never occurred to me that Joe would feel this way toward the girls. I was so busy trying to make sure that Jessica and Julie were getting settled in, I suppose I forgot about Joseph’s needs.

I reached over and ruffled my youngest son’s hair. "I’m sorry, Joe, I didn’t realize you felt this way."

Joe shrugged. "It’s okay, Pa."

"No, no, it’s not okay. I tell you what, why don’t we spend the day fishing together on Sunday afternoon. Just you and me, okay?"

Joe’s face lit up like a newly found star. "Really, Pa, just you and me?"

"Sure. Adam and Hoss can watch the girls. Now, why don’t you lie down and try to get some sleep." Joe hugged me tight and then laid down on his pillow. I kissed him on his forehead and once again reminded him that I loved him more than life itself.

"Good night, Pa, I love you too." Joe then turned over on his right side and went fast asleep.

When I walked out of the bunk room, I once again reminded my two eldest that I didn’t want them to stay up too much longer. I also told them both goodnight as I headed to my own bed.

As I closed my bedroom door, I heard Adam shut his book. I then heard two sets of boot steps walk to the bunk room. The door opened and closed for the last time.

 

The next morning as we all sat around the breakfast table, we started going over the rules for the horses that had arrived.

"I don’t want you two riding off by yourselves." I waved my fork in the direction of Jess and Julie.

I continued on as they listened closely. "There is to be no racing either. Racing is too dangerous.

I don’t want anyone to be hurt."

A frown appeared on Jessica’s face. "But, Pa, I love to race."

I raised my eyebrow. "No racing. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Pa," Jess spoke in a clipped tone.

"As a matter of fact, before either of you ride I want to watch you. I want to make sure you are able to handle your horses." I sipped my coffee as I watched the girls ponder my request.

"‘Kay, Pa.. We are real good." Julie spoke with a mouthful of food.

"Juliet, please don’t talk with your mouth full. After breakfast will be a good time for me to see what you both know. Now let’s finish our breakfast."

Both young ladies started shoveling food into their mouths. Joe also started to hurry so that he could watch the girls ride. Hoss and Adam ate like always--they had chores to do and would rather eat than work.

When we had all finished, I had the girls help Hop Sing with the dishes. "Adam, would you please saddle Rebel and Echo for me?"

Adam walked to the door, grabbing his hat on the way out. "Sure thing, Pa."

When the horses were all saddled Jess, Julie, Joseph, and I went out to see what the girls could do.

Jessica was still wearing her pants around the house. I had not yet got around to having a conversation about her wearing them. When school started, I definitely would be approaching that subject.

Jessie walked into the corral. She went straight up to her horse with a world of confidence. She easily swung herself on the mare’s back and galloped around the corral. She was a wonderful rider and had been taught well.

When she slid off the horse’s back she had a smug look on her face. "See, Pa. I told you I was a good rider."

I rubbed my chin. "Yes, you did very well; however, the same rules still apply." I had just wiped that smug look off her face. The looked quickly turned into a severe frown.

It was then Juliet’s turn to ride her horse, Echo. Julie did the same as her sister--she walked into the corral, mounted her horse and galloped around as if she had ridden all of her young life. Joe stood beside me in complete awe. He to was an excellent rider. I don’t think he thought the girls would do as well as they did.

"You both ride very well; however, I want you both to remember the rules. Joseph has to follow the same rules as the both of you. Isn’t that right, Little Joe?" I placed my arm around Joe’s shoulders.

"Yes, Pa." Joe answered as he looked up to meet my eyes.

"We understand, Pa. Don’t we, Julie?" Jessica turned her attention to her sister.

Julie looked at me with a grin on her face. "Yes, Pa, we understand."

"Good. Then there will not be any misunderstanding." I removed my arm from Joe and started walking to the barn.

"Everyone needs to get their chores done." I spoke as I glanced over my shoulder. I then disappeared out of sight.

 

Who knew that on Saturday that all five of my children would find mischief. Now, Adam is not the one to usually find himself in trouble. However, this was not the case on this day.

Normally, I go into town on Saturdays. Today, however, I needed to finish the ledgers and had decided to put our trip to town off until Monday.

Adam, Hoss, Joe, Jess, and Julie approached me after they were done with their morning chores. I could tell by the looks on their young faces that they were wanting to ask me something. Yet, no one took the initiative to speak.

After a few moments four sets of eyes turned to Adam. He was once again elected spokesperson for the group.

"Pa?" Adam said as his eyes darted around the inside of the room.

I glanced up from the books I was working on. "Yes, Adam."

"Well. . .we. . .all of us. . .were wondering if we could. . .maybe go into town." Adam released a rush of air.

"Adam, I’m not going to town today. I have to finish balancing these books." I waved my hands above the open ledgers.

"Yes, Pa, we know that. We thought maybe we, just us, could go to town. I mean, I’m old enough to watch the girls. Hoss can help too. Right, Hoss?" Adam’s eyes became wide as I thought about his request.

"Sure, Pa, we can go to town by ourselves. I’ll help Adam watch the kids." Hoss looked so excited that for a moment I thought he would jump out of his skin.

Joe and Jess, on the other hand, were frowning. I’m sure it was because Hoss had called them kids.

I grinned. "You’ll have to watch them close." I pointed to Joe, Jess, and Julie.

"The three of you would do well to make sure you listen to Adam and Hoss. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Pa." All three youngsters chimed together.

"Fine. You may all go to town, but I want you back in time for supper. Also, I hope I don’t have to remind you what will happen if I hear you have been to Shelby’s or near Jack’s place." I had leaned back in my chair and spoke in my best fatherly voice. I also mustered up one of my "looks" hoping that this would persuade them from finding any trouble.

Adam moved behind his siblings and started pushing toward the door. "Pa, we know all the rules. We don’t intend to break any of them. We will be home in time for supper, promise."

I nodded. "A-dam."

Adam stopped short of the door and turned to face me. "Yes, Pa?"

"You’re responsible for them. Please keep that in mind." I turned my attention back to the ledgers I had been working on.

"Yes, Pa," Adam said, as he went out the door, shutting it carefully behind him.

 

 

I finished with the ledgers much earlier than I thought I would. I moved to the settee and enjoyed the quiet while I could. Hop Sing was out in the yard working on his garden, the children were gone to town, and the chores were completed.

It took only a few minutes for me to become completely bored. I decided that since it was still early that I might as well go to town and get our supplies. This way I would not have to make the trip on Monday.

I went and got Hop Sing, who made a list of items he needed for cooking. I then quickly checked around and added to the list the items we needed for the animals.

If I had known that when I got into the town that I would find my children into mischief, I might have stayed at home.

I pulled the wagon to a standstill in front of the Trading Post. As I hopped down off the seat, I noticed a group of people gathered in front of Shelby’s place.

Normally, I would not have thought anything about this. However, the crowd consisted of not only adults, but of children also.

I watched as people kept reaching into their pockets and pulling something out. From my distance I could not tell what it was.

When one of the young boys dropped whatever it was that he was holding, he bent over to pick it up. This is when I noticed my middle son standing in the crowd.

Whatever everyone was getting out of their pockets, they were handing it to Hoss.

I glanced around to see if I could locate my other sons and the girls. When I could not find them, I stepped off the wooden walkway so I could go ask my middle son if he had seen them.

As I did this, I noticed Hoss wave his hat in the air. I then saw a distant cloud of dust and the thundering of horses. I froze in place as I looked around to see where the sound was coming from.

Three horses sped past me like streaks of lightning. The crowd around Hoss had started shouting names that I recognized. This is when I realized that the people riding those horses were none other than Joseph, Jessica and little Julie.

I stood stunned as the race came to a halt on the other side of Shelby’s saloon. Who won, I did not know. But they are all going to be losers when I get them home!

I continued to walk toward Hoss. As I did I could tell that he was collecting money from the bystanders. He was also giving some odds for the next race. Time for me to find out exactly what is going on. And where is Adam?

Hoss did not even notice that I was approaching him. He was too busy taking care of "business" to even acknowledge that I was there.

As I got closer I reached into my pocket and fished around for a gold dollar. I stood behind the other people as my middle son took their bets. Finally, I pushed my hand through the crowd. Hoss held out his hand, never looking up from the paper bills he was counting.

"What’s your bet, mister?" Hoss asked as I dropped the coin into his open hand.

"Hmmm. . .I bet I know five Cartwrights that are going to be in deep trouble when they get home," I spoke in a low voice. Hoss’ head immediately shot up–by the look on his face, I thought he was going to lose his lunch.

"Oh. . .hi, Pa. What are you doin’ in town?" Hoss gulped then looked directly at his boots.

"Would you like to explain what you are doing?" I asked as I placed my hands on my hips.

When I started speaking the small crowd started breaking up. "Was goin’ to be a good race too," one of the elderly men said as he shoved his money back into his pocket.

"Where is Adam?" I spoke in a acid tone.

"Ummm. . .I ain’t sure, Pa." Hoss was now looking at me from the top of his blue eyes.

"HEY!!! What’s the holdup--" Joe shouted as he stepped from the side of Shelby’s. However, when he saw me standing there he turned as white as the clouds in the sky.

"Ut oh," Joe muttered as he glanced over at his older brother.

"Go gather your sisters. Then bring your horses over to the Trading Post, wait behind the wagon till I get our supplies. Do you understand?" I pointed a finger at my two sons.

"Yes, Pa." Hoss then turned to go collect his two sisters. Joe stood with worry on his young face, and worried he should be.

I walked back to the Trading Post and went inside to get the things that Hop Sing needed. This is when I noticed Adam standing in a far corner talking with a young lady. He was leaning slightly into her, his hand propped on the wall behind her head. As he spoke, he had a devilish grin on his face. She was bobbing her head up and down at each word he said. Her blond tresses bouncing around her face as she did so.

"Adam." I spoke sharply.

He immediately came to attention, his blue eyes settling upon my angry face. The young girl blushed profusely.

"Hi, Pa." Adam glanced at the young lady then back at me. "This is Sharon Sims. Her family is new in town."

I tipped my hat. "It’s very nice to meet you, I’m sure. But could you please excuse us?" I motioned for Adam to follow me to the door.

I heard Adam tell Sharon that he would talk to her sometime later. Then I heard his footsteps following my own.

Once we had stepped outside, I grabbed Adam’s arm and pulled him to the side of the small building.

"Where are your brothers and sisters?" I let go of his arm and stood with my arms crossed.

"You mean Hoss, Joe, Jessie and Julie?" Adam asked as he nervously glanced around the alleyway.

"Do you have other brothers and sisters that I don’t know about?" My voice was dripping with sarcasm.

"No, sir, none that I know of." Adam’s face was one of confusion. "I don’t know where they are, Pa."

"I thought I made you responsible for them? What if something has happened to one of them?" I shook my finger under Adam’s nose.

"You’re right, Pa, I’ll go find them. Right now." Adam went to step around me, but I grabbed his arm once again.

"There is no need. I have already found them. And we will be discussing everything when we get home. I want you to help me load the supplies, then you get your horse and get ready to ride home." I let go of my eldest’s limb, then I turned and walked back into the store.

In a few minutes, Adam stepped inside and started carrying the supplies to the wagon. When everything was loaded and ready to go, Adam went to retrieve his horse and soon joined us for what would be a very long trip home.

 

The journey home was a silent one. I had the boys riding on the left of me and the girls were to my right. By the looks of their faces, you would think they were all getting ready to face a firing squad.

Hopefully they were each contemplating what the consequences of their actions would be. I’m sure they were each thinking of the different punishments they could be given.

The closer we got to the house the more nervous the five of them were getting. They kept doing quick glances at each other–yet no one said a word.

Coming to a stop in front of the barn, I stepped down from the wagon seat and started giving direct orders.

"Adam, please make sure the supplies make it into the house. Erik, you and Joseph can take care of the horses. Jessica, and Julie, start doing the chores. I am taking a walk and will be back later. When you are all finished, go wait in your rooms." I then turned and walked in the direction of the pond that is located some distance behind the house.

I didn’t even check before walking away to see if my orders were being followed. As soon as I turned, I heard everyone slide from their horses and the scurrying of feet hurrying to do the task that they had been given.

I walked to the seclusion of the trees that surrounded the sparkling pond. I felt as if I been trampled by a horse, so I slid my weary body down on a rock beside the water. I was in deep thought as I lifted a handful of small smooth pebbles into my hand.

As I tried to skip them across the shimmering water, I thought about how I should handle my five disobedient children that I had back at the house. Oh, how I wished Marie was here to help me through the trials that these children present to me. She would comfort me and remind me that I need to control my temper. She was always such a comfort when it came to punishing any of the children.

When I felt I had my temper in check, I headed back to the house leaving the peaceful pond behind me. Sometimes I think it would be easier if I ran and hid from the children, and just let them take over. But I know that it is my responsibility to make sure they are taught the correct ways to live their lives. If I let them get away with things that they know are wrong, I would lose all control. I can never let that happen.

When I approached the house I noticed Adam was still caring for the horses. I assumed that everyone else was in the house.

"Adam, when you’re finished, please join me in the house," I said to my son as I stepped on the porch.

"Yes, sir," he called back as I stepped inside.

When I walked through the doorway into the main room, Hop Sing immediately handed me a cup of coffee.

"Thank you, Hop Sing," I said, as I moved and sat down at the table.

"Very welcome, Mr. Cartwright. I can tell by way boys and girls act that there is trouble. So I thought you need cup of coffee." Hop Sing moved to the table and leaned against on the end opposite from where I sat.

"How could you tell, Hop Sing?" I took a sip of the hot brew then took a deep breath.

"Ahhh. . .boys come in house and go straight to room. No one talks or giggle or joke. Girls do same and heads hang low. Hop Sing know that there is trouble by looks on the young ones’ faces." Hop Sing then straightened himself up and moved to the front door. "I am going to take walk. Supper will be ready when I get back." Hop Sing reached for the door knob and disappeared outside closing it gently behind him.

No sense in putting off confronting the five of them any longer. "Erik, Joseph, Jessica, Juliet!" I called for all four children by their proper names. When I do this they each know that they are in severe trouble.

Adam was just walking into the house as I was calling for his brothers and sisters.

I stood up from the table as the bedroom doors opened. Slowly Erik and Joe appeared from their room. Adam came over and stood with his brothers. He was slightly paled, and by the look in his eyes somewhat concerned.

Hoss was directly behind Adam. He too was very nervous looking--I could tell by the way he was chewing on his bottom lip.

Then there was Joseph. He was wiping his hands up and down on his pants. Joe did this only when he knew he was in trouble.

The girls had appeared from their small room. Julie was already sniffling, letting me know she has cried the whole time I was gone. Jess, however, looked more angry than upset. Her face was fire red and her blue eyes almost flamed.

I moved over and stood in front of the fireplace in front of the settee. I then pointed to the empty space in front of me. All five juvenile delinquents moved swiftly to line up before me.

I noticed as they did so, that they fell in line by age; Adam, Hoss, Joe, Jess, and then Julie.

"Would someone like to explain what was going on in town today?" I spoke in my deepest voice. I wanted them each to know how angry I was about what had happened.

"Adam? Why were you not watching them?" I waved my hand to his siblings.

"Pa. . .I was only in the store for a few minutes. What did they do?" Adam was glancing at Hoss who stood beside him.

I moved my hands to my hips. "If you had been watching them, you would know what they were doing. Am I correct?"

Adam eyes widened. "Yes, sir, you’re right. I should have been watching them better. But I didn’t think they could get in too much trouble in a few minutes."

"That’s not the point A-dam and you know it. They were your responsibility and you did not uphold your end of the bargain. Not only that, I found you in the Trading Post being–lets say, a little too friendly with that young lady, which we will discuss later--alone."

I then turned my attention to Hoss. "Erik, please explain to your brother what the four of you were doing."

Hoss took a deep breath. "Ummm. . .yes, sir. Wel,l Joe, Jessie, and Julie were ummm. . .racing their horses, while I took a few small. . .ummm. . .bets."

Adam looked completely shocked. "You were betting? Are you crazy?"

Joseph, Jessica, and Julie stood in complete silence. At one time I was wondering if they were breathing.

"I thought I had made it crystal clear that the three of you were not to race your horses. Was there something that the three of you did not understand?"

No one spoke. "Was there something you did not understand about the rules? Not only have the three of you been told not to race, but racing in town only made matters worse. Someone could have been hurt. Each and every one of you know better."

I started pacing back and forth in the room. "You, you, you, and you," I pointed to Hoss, Joe, Jess, and Julie, "are restricted to the ranch for a month. Also, you have lost the privilege of riding your horses. You may feed them, groom them, and put them in the corral. But if I catch any of you on those horses, you will regret it. I hope I have made myself clear. Now the four of you go get washed up for supper."

I looked at four very relieved faces. I believe they might have been expecting a good spanking. I had thought about tanning every one of them, however; I decided that taking their treasured horses away was a worse punishment As they turned to leave the room, I stopped Hoss one more time. "Erik."

"Yes, Pa, sir." Erik paused in mid-step.

I held out my hand. "Where is the money?"

Hoss blushed. "Oh." He then reached in his pocket and pulled out a small wad of bills.

I pointed to my open hand, and he plopped the bills inside it. "I’ll be donating this to the school building fund."

He nodded his head and then hurried to the bunk room to get washed up for supper.

Now I was left alone with Adam. "Son, let’s take a walk." I moved to the front door and grabbed my hat off the peg.

"A walk, Pa?" Adam let out a deep breath.

I raised an eyebrow. "Is there a reason why you don’t want to go on a walk with me?"

"Ummm. . .no, sir. I was just wondering where we might be walking to?"

I grinned to myself. "Well, if you think it is the barn, you’re wrong. Just a walk--get your hat."

I heard Adam’s footsteps coming to the door which I held open for him. We stepped out on the porch and I placed my hand on my eldest son’s back. He stiffened at my touch. We then took a very long walk, and while we did I lectured him on appropriate ways to spend time with ladies. I also set his ears on fire about responsibility. When I was finished the young man seemed to look quite sorry for the things that had happened today.

"Pa, I’m really sorry I let you down. It will never happen again. I am truly sorry. Next time I will watch those four like a hawk. So. . .may we go get our supper now?" Adam asked at he turned to walk back to the house.

Now, it would seem that my son was trying to change the subject and quickly. I do believe he was trying to forgo any punishment–oh, how wrong he was.

I hurried to catch up with him. I placed my arm around his shoulders. "Son?"

He shifted his shoulders under the weight of my arm. "Yes, Pa?"

"You’re restricted to the ranch for a month also. And if I ever catch you behaving like that with a young lady again, I might just forget how old you are." Adam stopped as we stepped onto the porch. I turned to look at him in the eyes.

"Pa. . .you don’t mean. . .you wouldn’t. Would you?" He spoke with a bemused look on his face.

I thinned out my lips. "Do you want to find out?"

Adam blinked. "No, Pa, that’s okay really."

"Then I suggest you not test my patience, young man." We then stepped inside the house where Hop Sing was placing dinner on the table.

Hoss, Joe, Jess and Julie were already sitting in their regular spots waiting for Adam and me to return.

We joined the rest of the family at the table and feasted upon the wonderful supper that Hop Sing had prepared. Jessica and Julie ate as if they hadn’t had food in a month. I wondered if all that horse racing had made their appetites greater.

That evening I went to say good night to all of my clan. I started with the boys’ room. I popped my head inside the door, and instantly all the boyish whispers stopped.

"Goodnight, boys," I said, as I stood in the doorway.

"Night, Pa." Adam answered.

I then stepped inside so that I could hug and kiss all three of them. I sat on the edge of Joe’s bunk. I reached and ruffled his hair, I then bent down and kissed his forehead. I did the same with Hoss and then I tried with Adam. When I went to kiss his forehead he jerked away.

"Pa. . ." Adam protested, "don’t you think I am too old for that?"

My lips curled up on the corners. "Nope." I then bent down and finished what I had intended to do in the first place.

As I was walking to the door, I heard Joseph call for me.

"Yes, Little Joe?"

"How long before we can ride our horses again?" Joe propped himself up on his elbow.

"Until I say you can." I turned back around.

"But. . .Pa, how long is that?" Joe had a concerned look on his face.

I ran my hand over my hair. "It depends on how well you behave, young man. The same goes for Erik. You’ll have to earn back my trust before you will get your horses back. And if you can’t behave, then it will be that much longer the punishment will stand. You do understand. Don’t you?"

Joe nodded his head as he laid back down. I then made my way back out the door. I overheard Joe tell his brothers that he hoped he could behave. ‘Cuz he might not get Paint back till he was my age. I chuckled to myself as I gently shut the door.

I then made my way to the girls’ room. When I walked inside Jess was sitting up in her bed leaning close to the lit lamp next to her. She was reading a book.

Julie was sitting in her bed on her knees cradling her newest doll that came in one of the trunks that had been sent to them.

Her big green eyes sparkled as I stepped closer to her bed. "Hi, Pa," she said, as she reached out her arms so I could pick her up.

Jessica laid down her book. "Pa?"

"Yes, Jessica,." I answered, as Julie shifted her weight on my hip so she was more comfortable.

"I’m real sorry about today. It’s all my fault. I challenged Joe to a race then we started bettin’ and it just all got out of hand. I didn’t mean for Julie, Joe, or Hoss to get in trouble too." Jessica had a sincere expression on her face.

"Well, Jess, no one made Joe, Hoss, or even Julie here to do anything they didn’t want too. It’s not all your fault. But I’m glad to see that you’re taking responsibility for your part. I just hope that it doesn’t happen again." I went and sat down on Juliet’s small bed.

"Pa, couldn’t you just spank us and let us keep our horses? I mean, we are real sorry, aren’t we Julie?" Jessica’s blue eyes lit up as she was awaiting my answer.

I grinned inwardly as I laid Julie in her bed and pulled her soft covers up on her. "No, Jess, that would be too simple. What lesson would you learn if I spanked you then gave your horses back?"

Jessica thought for a moment. "Well. . .I know my tail would be stinging for a couple of days and I wouldn’t want to ride Rebel."

"Is that the lesson you need to learn?"

She lowered her head and looked at me from the top of her thick lashes. "No, Pa, I guess it’s not."

I stood up and walked to Jessie’s bed, I then motioned for her to lie down. She did as I asked and I pulled her coverlet up to her small chin. "I want you both to know that I love you very much. If I never punished you then I would fail you as the father that I am suppose to be. I would never allow that to happen."

I kissed Jessica’s forehead. "The punishment stands as it is. I will tell you the same thing I told Joe. Depending on your behavior will determine when you get Rebel and Echo back. I hope you will be good girls so you can have those horses back soon."

Jess reached up and hugged me around my neck. "I’ll be real good, Pa, I want Rebel back as soon as I can get him."

"I hope so, young lady." I then moved back over to Julie who wiggling in her bed. I bent down to kiss her on her head. As I did so she placed her small hands on my face and looked at me right in the eye.

"We love you too, Pa." She then lifted herself up and planted a sloppy kiss on my forehead.

I reached out and tickled her, and she screeched with delight.

I rose from my spot and headed for the door. "Goodnight, girls."

"Night, Pa." They chirped together like sweet baby birds.

I went into my room and readied myself for a peaceful night’s slumber. As I lay in my bed awake, I began to wonder what type of adventures and mischief the two new additions would bring to our lives.

Well whatever it may be, I will handle it when the time comes. I hope. I could not picture my life without the wonderful family that I have. I then drifted asleep counting the blessings that the Lord has bestowed upon me--Five blessing to be exact!

 

The End

10-31-04