Wanted, Texas Red

By Gail G.

 

Rating: G

Disclaimer: I do not own the Cartwright Characters.

Thanks to Marion for the wonderful beta-read and advice. Thanks to Sheryl for checking this story one last time, just to make sure I had corrected all the errors.

 

Twelve-year-old Joe Cartwright lay on the braided rug in front of the fireplace, lining up his toys soldiers preparing them for an intense battle. Only the ruffling of the newspaper that his oldest brother Adam was reading distracted his attention.

"Pa, have you read this article in the paper?" Joe looked up at his brother as Adam asked the question.

Pa put down his cup. Rising from the table, he walked over to where his son was, and leaned over his shoulder to see what Adam was referring to.

Joe went back to his tedious task of standing the soldiers in straight lines. He didn’t pay attention to his father or brother until he heard the words "wanted" and "treasure" in the same sentence. Quick as lightning he stood and went to look at the paper.

"Let me see, Adam." Joe said, dodging his head around Adam’s arms.

"Calm down, Joseph." Pa placed his hand on Joe’s shoulder, causing the boy to frown.

Joe crossed his arms. "But I want to see the man’s picture, too."

Pa sighed. "Adam, why don’t you read the article aloud so that we may all hear it?"

Adam straightened the paper a bit and began to read. "Wanted, Texas Red. Wanted for murder and robbery. Last seen leaving San Francisco, California, heading east. Reward five hundred dollars." Adam turned the paper a bit so that his brother could see the picture.

"I seen him!" Joe yelled.

Adam rolled his blue eyes. "Saw him. . .I saw him."

Joe cocked his head to the side causing his bangs to fall in his green eyes. "You seen him, too? Where did you see him?"

"What?" Adam said, frowning back at his youngest brother.

Joe heaved a heavy sigh. "You said you saw him."

"No, Joe, I was correcting your. . .oh, never mind." Adam turned his attention back to the paper he was holding. Pa chuckled slightly as he moved back to the table to drink his coffee.

"WOW. . .five hundred dollars." As Joe spoke his voice rose a bit and begin to squeak. "Ya know what we can do with all that money when I catch that Texas Red?"

Adam laughed. "Catch Texas Red? Are you crazy? He probably is nowhere near here. I bet he is halfway to Kentucky by now."

Joe propped his hands on his hips. "Well, if he was here, I bet I could catch him. And if I did I wouldn’t share the reward money with you neither."

Adam waved his hand towards Joe’s soldiers, who were still awaiting battle. "Go play, Little Joe. That’s what children do."

"I ain’t no children! I mean child!" Joe began to yell.

"That’s enough, boys." Pa spoke in an annoyed tone without looking up from the ledgers he had started working on.

"Yes, Pa." Adam responded, as he turned the page of the paper. "Anyway, I’m not the one that’s yelling."

"Adam if’n you don’t–" Joe was about to retaliate. However, before he could finish his sentence, Pa jumped in.

"Joseph,"Pa’s stern voice got Joe’s attention. He knew better than to say any more and he moved back to his men that were still standing at attention waiting for the war to begin.

As Joe fiddled with his soldiers, he thought about how he could catch this ‘Texas Red’. He was so sure he had seen the man coming out of Shelby’s saloon. He couldn’t do it by himself though, he would need help.

Joe glanced around the room. Pa wouldn’t help him, he just knew it; and he wouldn’t ask his smug older brother. All of a sudden, the door opened and Hoss stepped into the house. Joe’s grin crept across his face like a wild fire spreading across dry brush.

Joe watched as Hoss slapped his hands against his pants. Dust flew into the air, causing Adam to cough.

"Hoss, do you have to do that in the house?" Adam asked, as he tried to catch his breath.

Hoss blushed. "Sorry, Adam. I didn’t mean to cause a mess."

Hoss walked across the room as Joe paid very close attention to his middle brother.

"Hey, Hoss, where ya been to get so dirty?" Joe sat up on his knees so his middle brother could see him.

Joe watched as Hoss glanced at Pa and then at Adam. "I, ummm . . .was workin’ on something."

"Oh, what were ya workin’ on?" Joe asked, now pushing himself to his feet.

Hoss frowned at him. "It’s nothin’, really." Hoss headed for the washbasin to wash his dusty hands and splash some cool water on his face.

"Supper ready." Hop Sing announced before Joe could do anymore prying.

Joe hurried to wash up, after Hoss. Adam folded his paper neatly while Pa cleaned off his spot at the table. After Hop Sing dished out bowls of vegetable soup and sliced some bread, Pa said a prayer and the family began to eat.

Joe told Hoss the whole story about Texas Red and how he was sure he had seen him in town. Joe even told him how they were offering a five hundred dollar reward for whoever captured the criminal.

Pa raised an eyebrow at Joe’s remark about the capture. "Joseph, I don’t need to remind you that you’re not allowed in town by yourself, do I?"

Joe shook his head, his bangs covering his eyes. "No, Pa, I don’t need no reminding."

"You don’t need any reminding and I’m glad you don’t. Anyway you can go into town with me tomorrow." Pa said, as he started to lift his spoon to he mouth.

"How come, we gonna pick up some supplies?" Joe asked, seriously.

"Well. . .noooo." Pa replied.

"We gonna deliver somethin’?" Joe was more curious now.

"No. . .we are going to get you a haircut." Pa smiled.

"Ohhhh. . .Paaaa. . .why do I need a haircut? I think I’ll just stay home if’n you don’t mind." Joe groaned.

"Well, young man, it’s hard for you to get a haircut if you’re not there. So you just be sure you’re ready in the morning." Pa gave his youngest a stern look.

Joe slumped his shoulders. "Yes, Pa." He continued to eat his soup, now trying to think of how to get out of his haircut, but yet get to town to catch Texas Red.

Later that night, Joe cornered Hoss in the barn. He once again told the whole sordid story about how he was so sure he had seen Texas Red in Eagle Station.

Hoss laughed. "You didn’t see Texas Red, Joe. You’re crazy, little brother."

"Am not!" Joe yelled. "I was just wantin’ to see if you wanted to help me catch him."

"Help catch who?" Hoss furrowed his eyebrows.

Joe sighed deeply. "Texas Red."

"Are you serious? Ya really think ya saw him?" Hoss stopped untangling the harness he was working on and looked at his little brother a bit closer.

"Yeah, I seen him, Hoss. Honest I did. Just think what we could do with five hundred dollars." Joe started to stare dreamily into the darkness outside the barn.

"I could do a lot with that money, Joe. How do you think we can catch him?"

Joe jerked out of his dream state and turned to face his brother. "Well, I reckon the first thing we should do is track him down. Pa is takin’ me into town for a haircut, so I’ll start tomorrow."

"Joe, Pa ain’t gonna let you roam around town." Hoss frowned.

Joe grinned a most devilish grin. "Don’t worry ‘bout it, Hoss. I’ll take care of Pa."

Hoss picked up the harness and placed it on the wall. "Well, it’s your hide, little brother. Come on we best get in the house ‘fore Pa comes lookin’ for us."

"You’ll see, Hoss. I’ll find him tomorrow and you have to promise if I do that you’ll help me capture him."

"Alright, alright, I promise."

The pair headed back inside the house. Joe was trying to compose himself so Pa wouldn’t catch on that he was up to something.

"Chores are done, Pa." Joe said, as he and Hoss hung their hats on the peg beside the door.

Pa closed the book he was reading and placed it on the coffee table. "Time for bed, boys." Joe and Hoss watched as their father stretched and headed for his room. They turned and went to their own beds.

Once they laid down, Joe started to dream of all the things he could do with the reward money. The consequences of sneaking around crossed his mind once, but was gone in an instant when the thought of a new rifle replaced them.

 

The next morning, the warmth of the sun shining across his freckled face woke Joe. He stretched slightly and rolled over to see Adam pulling on his pants.

"Mornin’, Adam." Joe said, as he flipped back his blanket and threw his feet over the side of his bed.

Adam nodded back to his youngest brother. "Good morning, Joe. You’d best be getting ready if you’re going into town with Pa."

Joe frowned at the thought of a trip to town for a haircut. Adam sat in the chair in the corner to pull on his boots.

"Adam! Joseph!" Adam moved a bit quicker pulling on his second boot. Joe flinched, but decided to just go back to bed and hide from the world.

"Come on, Joe. You don’t want Pa to come in here and fetch you." Joe peeked out from under the cover when his brother made the statement. Adam placed his hand on the doorknob and headed into the main room.

Joe lay in the silence for a few minutes. He could only hear the whispered voices of his father and brothers in the other room. After a brief moment he heard the very distinctive sounds of his father’s boots heading toward the bunkroom.

Joe sighed as the door slowly opened.

"Joseph, it’s time to get up."

"Pa, do I have to go to town with you?" Joe whined.

"Yes." Pa replied.

"Okay, I sorta want to go to town, but do I have to get my hair cut?"

"Yes." Pa said, as he sat on Joe’s bed. "You’ll live, son, believe me. Now I want you out at the table in five minutes."

Pa reached over and ruffled Joe’s hair before getting to his feet and leaving the room.

Joe scampered out of bed. He truly wanted to go to town to explore, but not for a haircut. He would simply have to slip away from his father once he was there. If he wanted to catch the famous ‘Texas Red’, he would just have to take whatever consequences he received.

Joe hurried and dressed; he entered the main room and slid into his spot at the table, not looking up at his father.

Pa tapped Joe’s plate with his fork. "Little Joe, eat your breakfast, please. I want to get into town. I have a long list things to do today."

Joe picked up his fork and started shoveling his food in his mouth. He listened carefully as his father gave his brothers their list of duties for the day. Adam had the responsibility of making sure things around the barn and house were taken care of. Hoss was being sent to check fence lines. Pa had also let Hoss know that this would probably take several days to complete. It was a tedious task to find any fallen rails and make sure they were tied properly back in place.

Joe watched as Hoss moaned a bit. But he was excited that Hoss would be doing that particular job. That way they would be able to slip into town more often without being caught.

The ride into town was a quiet one for father and son. Joe was brooding over how to escape his father and go find the wanted criminal.

Joe was certain that he had seen the man in the paper in town coming out of Shelby’s saloon. He would find the man and report back to Hoss as to his whereabouts. They could decide later how they could capture his five hundred dollars.

Joe was brought back to the real world when Pa pulled the wagon to a sudden stop in front of the Trading Post.

"Let me drop this list off and then we will head over to the barbershop to get you that haircut. You stay here and I’ll be right back." Pa hopped out of the wagon into the busy street. Joe watched his father enter the small general store.

For a moment Joe sat up on the wagon and glanced around. The once small town of Eagle Station had grown a bit in the last couple of months. There was a new corner café, barbershop, and a dressmaker. Joe scrunched up his face in deep thought. If he were an outlaw living in Eagle Station, where would he be hiding? Joe snapped his fingers. He knew exactly where the outlaw was hiding. After glancing to be sure Pa was still in the Trading Post, Joe jumped from the wagon.

Joe scurried across the busy streets, being careful to avoid the wagons and horses. Within a few moments he found himself behind Shelby’s place. His hand was on the doorknob, ready to turn it, when the door slowly creaked open.

This was a sign from the heavens that Joe was on the right track. He stepped inside, glancing around making sure he didn’t see Shelby anywhere in the small kitchen. Running away from Pa was one thing, but getting caught at Shelby’s could mean some nasty results for his backside.

Joe tiptoed across the floor holding his breath as he did so. Flattening himself against the wall to avoid detection, he peeked out into the large room. Shelby sure was busy today! He scanned the room carefully as he looked for the wanted man.

Over in the farthest corner from where he stood, near the main door, was a group of Mexicans involved in a loud game of cards. Joe moved his eyes to Pete, one of the town’s regular visitors. Joe knew Pete would do odd jobs to help fund his drinking habit. He had seen Pete sweeping the sidewalk at the Trading Post once. Mr. Orowitz was telling Pa about Pete’s drinking problem. Mr. Orowitz was giving Pete some work to help him. To the right of Pete were a couple of young hands from the Double Q Ranch. Joe recognized them from a town dance that he had attended a few weeks ago with his family.

His eyes continued to roam around the room, until finally they fell upon the man he was sure was the wanted criminal from the Alta California. Joe studied him closely, looking for similarities to what was listed in the newspaper. It really hadn’t given much of a description, and the picture had only been a rough sketch. But Joe was sure that this man was from California.

He was everything Joe imagined he would be. A large man, probably six feet tall or so. Joe figured that he weighed more than Hoss, but less than Big Dan. He had hair as red as apples and a long red beard to match. The man stroked his beard as if it was a kitten.

Joe watched as the man dropped some coins on the floor. When the man bent over to pick them up, he grinned a bit. This is when Joe noticed his gold teeth and a tattoo on the top of his right hand.

The man looked up for a moment and Joe flattened himself once again. He couldn’t afford to be seen; when he thought it was clear he peered around the doorframe. The man guzzled a few whiskey shots. Joe was so transfixed by the man that he completely forgot why he had come into town in the first place.

The batwing doors opened, taking Joe’s attention away from Texas Red for a moment. He gulped when he saw who it was. Joe stood silent as Pa walked up to the counter. He could tell that Pa was asking Shelby some sort of question and she shook her head ‘no’.

Texas Red pointed to the kitchen entryway. At first Joe didn’t understand what was going on. He frowned as he watched his father and the man closely. Only when his father started to walk to the doorway did it occur to Joe that Pa was asking about him.

Joe gasped at the look on his father’s face. His lips were set in a firm straight line and his eyebrows were furrowed so close together they looked like a fuzzy caterpillar. Finally it came to him that his father was actually coming into the kitchen. Joe turned to run but instead he tripped over a bucket that was sitting beside the small wooden worktable. He felt himself tumbling to the floor only to be yanked up again by his father’s very strong hand.

"Pa, I can explain!" Joe yelped, as his father propelled him to the door that would take them out into the alleyway.

"I should hope so, but we will discuss it after your haircut." Pa’s voice was full of anger. "Do you know how long I have been looking for you? I told you to stay in the wagon. I don’t recall saying anything about going to the saloon. Which, by the way, we will also talk about later."

Pa dragged Joe down the street to the barbershop. This was the first time in his young life that he did not fight tooth and nail over getting a haircut. He was in enough trouble as it was and he didn’t want to add any more offenses to the list of crimes he had committed today.

Joe sat in the wagon by his father sporting a freshly cut head of hair. The trip home was so quiet all you could hear was the horses’ hooves beating on the hardened ground. Every once in a while Joe would chance a quick look at his father’s face. He was hoping that Pa’s anger would ease up a bit before they reached the ranch. However, Joe’s silent prayers were unanswered; when they pulled into the yard, Pa’s mood was not any better.

Once the wagon had completely stopped, Adam and Hoss appeared from out of nowhere to take care of the horses and help with the supplies.

Joe closely eyed Adam as he walked to the back of the wagon to lift a crate. Adam looked up at his little brother with a grin on his face. "Hey, nice haircut buddy."

"Thanks." Joe said, in a somber tone.

"What’s wrong with you?" Adam asked, as he took a step away from the wagon.

Joe didn’t look up to answer his brother. "Nothin’."

"Nothing indeed, young man. You may march yourself to your room; I’ll be there to talk to you in a little while." Pa jumped down from the wagon and thrust the reins in Hoss’ hand.

Joe sighed as he slid from his seat. "Yes, Pa." He walked past his brother and father as quickly as possible trying to avoid any further questioning.

Joe went in his room and flung himself on his bed, knowing that his father was very angry with him. He started going over everything he had done wrong today. "Let’s see. . ." Joe spoke aloud to no one. "Leaving the wagon when Pa told me not to. Hmmm. . .well that wasn’t too bad. Being caught in Shelby’s saloon, now that was bad." Joe huffed as he hit his pillow. Waiting for his father was almost as bad as the actual punishment itself. How was he going to explain he was in Shelby’s to try and find Texas Red so he could get the five hundred dollar reward?

Joe didn’t get to think about his answer very long. The bunkroom door opened quietly and Joe flew to his feet. He stood as respectfully as a twelve-year-old boy could, straight and tall, hands behind his back. However, he could not look directly into his father’s eyes.

Pa stepped into the room, a stern expression on his face. Joe watched as his father placed his large arms across his chest. This left a clear view of Pa’s belt and Joe gulped when he realized that he just may be feeling--rather than seeing that belt up close within the next minutes.

"Would you like to tell me why you left the wagon when I told you not to?" Pa’s scowl deepened as he waited for an answer.

Joe relaxed a bit. Pa didn’t even ask about why he was in Shelby’s, only why he left the wagon. Maybe, just maybe, Pa would forget all about that part. "I had to look for somethin’."

"Look for something?" Pa raised an eyebrow. "What exactly could you be looking for in Shelby’s saloon?"

Joe’s head popped up. "Just something, Pa. It’s not important!"

Pa glared at Joe for a moment. "Don’t raise your voice to me, young man. I want to know why you were in Shelby’s when you know that you are forbidden to go in there."

"I was in the kitchen, Pa. I didn’t go inside the saloon itself."

"And you think this makes a difference? You disobeyed me when you decided to get down from the wagon. That, young man, was your first mistake. Then I had to waste three quarters of an hour tracking you down, only to find you at Shelby’s. And now you’re telling me it’s not important?" Pa bent at his waist so he was looking Little Joe directly in the eye. "Seems to me you’ve gotten yourself in a mess, Joseph."

Joe squirmed under his father’s firm glare. "I’m sorry, Pa."

Pa straightened back up but never took his eyes off his son. "Why are you sorry, Joseph?"

Twisting his lips to one side, Joe went into deep thought. Let’s see, he was feeling sorry for himself, and he was sorry he didn’t get a better look at Texas Red, and he was sorry because his behind was in danger at the moment. Joe, however did not think his father would appreciate any of those answers and he had a feeling that if he said one of the things he was thinking, he would be in the barn faster than a bee to honey.

"I’m sorry I disobeyed you, Pa. And I’m sorry that I went into Shelby’s saloon and that I raised my voice. It won’t ever happen again."

"Well, Joseph, I should warm your backside for you. Instead, I’m giving you one, and only one warning, young man. I better never catch you in Shelby’s again. And I’m restricting you to the yard for a couple of weeks. Perhaps that will help you remember the rules.

Joe’s head snapped up. "Restriction? Pa, can’t you just spank me so it can be over with?" Joe knew restriction would hamper his efforts on collecting his five hundred dollar reward.

"I’m sorry, Joseph. I think restriction is best and since you’ll be in the yard, I’ll find you some extra chores to keep you occupied."

Joe watched as his father moved to the bunkroom door. He motioned for Joe to step out of the room in front of him. Pa placed his arm across his son’s shoulders. "I think you can set the table for lunch. Hop Sing will appreciate it."

"Yes, Pa." Joe sighed.

Joe felt his father remove his arm and he slightly pushed Joe toward the hutch. Joe went and gathered the plates. He watched as his father disappeared out onto the front porch, no doubt heading to do the rest of the chores before lunch.

 

Later that evening, after the supper dishes were washed, dried, and put away, Joe and Hoss headed to the barn to do one last check of the stock and make sure the barn was ready for the night.

"Why’d ya go and get yourself restricted, Joe? How are we gonna catch that man and get are reward if’n you can’t even go out of the yard?" Hoss said, disgusted, as he scooped some grain for Chubb.

"Well, I didn’t mean ta get caught. Anyways, now I know what the man looks like, Hoss." Joe’s excitement rose as he started to describe Texas Red to his brother.

Joe watched as Hoss’ eyes lit up like the summer sun. Joe made sure he was as detailed as possible, even describing the man’s gold teeth, as if they were a treasure all their own.

Hoss whistled when the details were done, "Dang, Joe. You’re right, sounds like the man to me. But how are we gonna catch him?"

Joe scratched his head as he blew out the last lantern before heading back to the house. "I suppose you could go and track him till my ‘striction is over. Then, at night we can decide the best way to corner and capture him."

"Yeah." Hoss replied as the pair headed back inside.

 

The next few days were filled with secret hayloft meetings and plans being made in private. Joe and Hoss were becoming a bit nervous when they noticed that Pa was keeping a closer eye on the two of them.

Even at lunch and during chores, Joe could feel Pa’s eyes burning a hole into him. ‘He couldn’t know, could he?’ Joe thought to himself as he milked old Bessie. He shrugged the uncertain feeling away and focused more on the task he was doing.

As Joe toted the bucket, filled to the brim with the frothy milk, he noticed Hoss waving to him from behind the woodshed.

Joe ran over to his brother to see what he wanted, spilling most of the bucket’s contents on the way. When he reached his middle brother, Hoss’ large hand reached out and pulled him behind the building, causing the rest of the milk in the bucket to splash onto Joe’s legs.

"What are you doing?!" Joe almost yelled. "You made me spill the milk."

Hoss held his finger to his lips. "Ssshhhhh. . .I don’t want Pa to hear."

Joe pushed Hoss’ hand away and leaned in a bit closer. "What is it you don’t want Pa to hear?" Joe completely forgot about the spilt milk as his brain switched over to the secret mission.

Hoss raised an eyebrow as he grinned. "I saw that man, Joe. You’re right. He has to be the man they want in California."

Joe jumped. "Really, you think so?!" In his excitement, he let go of the bucket and it clanked to the ground.

Hoss looked down at the now dented bucket. "Yeah, yeah. . .I’m sure of it, Joe. He looked just like ya said. I saw him at the livery stable talking to Big Dan. I tried to follow him but he went into Jack’s place."

"Well, why didn’t you go into Jack’s?" Joe waved his hands in the air. "You could have cornered him."

"Are you crazy?!" Hoss’ voice rose a bit. "If Pa found out I was inside Jack’s, he would skin me alive. I want to be livin’ when we get that reward money."

"Yeah, I guess you’re right." Joe said. "Well, when my ‘striction is up, we’ll go follow and track him. Then we will set that trap and we will have our man!"

Joe’s eyes kinda glazed over while Hoss had a starry look on his face.

"JOSEPH, HOSS!" Both boys jumped when they heard Pa’s voice.

Joe picked up the bucket and looked at it forlornly. "How am I gonna ‘splain this to Pa?"

Hoss shrugged his broad shoulders as he pushed his brother around the building. "Just tell the truth, Joe. Tell him you spilt the milk and you dented the bucket when ya dropped it."

The boys could see Pa standing beside the chopping block, his hands planted firmly on his hips.

Joe looked over his shoulder at his middle older brother. "You in some kind of trouble?"

"Nope, not that I know of. Come on, we better move a bit faster." Hoss said, as he quickened his pace.

"Pa, did you call for us?" Joe asked, sitting the pail on the ground.

"What happened to the milk, son?" Pa asked, frowning.

Joe’s eyes widened. "Sorry, Pa, but I spilled it. No sense cryin’ over spilt milk. You always say that, Pa."

Pa closed his eyes for a moment. "I suppose you’re right, Joseph, but what about the dented bucket?"

Joe shrugged. "I guess I dented it when I dropped it".

"I see, well it’s time for breakfast." Pa said, as he walked to the porch. "Oh, Joseph, you can tell Hop Sing what happened to his milk and about the bucket."

"Yes, Pa." Joe said, glumly, as he and Hoss scurried inside. Joe hated upsetting Hop Sing almost as much as he hated upsetting Pa. Hop Sing always kept that wooden spoon close and if you weren’t careful you would feel it on your backside.

 

Finally, after two long, agonizing weeks, Joe’s restriction was over. He ran through the yard like a wild deer, jumping for joy as the announcement was made.

Joe flew over to his father and hugged him tightly. "Thanks, Pa."

"For restricting you?" Pa asked, returning a hug back to his son.

"No, Pa, for setting me free." Joe replied.

Joe and Hoss spent a good part of the day trying to figure out how to get to town. Sneaking was an option, but the consequences that came with sneaking weren’t so good.

However, the boys were having a good luck day. Pa called them over to the porch and asked if they could go into town to pick up supplies. He explained that Adam was busy with the fences and that he was going to go visit Mrs. Green.

Hoss beamed at being given the responsibility of picking up the supplies for his family. Joe’s mind worked overtime as to what they could accomplish in town.

After the horses were hitched to the wagon, both boys climbed into the seat, ready to head on their merry way. But before they could leave, Pa grabbed the reins of one of the horses. "Boys, I don’t need to remind you not to go near Shelby’s or Jack’s place, do I?"

"No, Pa. We know not to go there." Joe said, as he rubbed his hands together.

"I should hope you would both think about the repercussions if you decided to disobey me. Joseph, don’t forget, you’ve already had your warning."

"Yes, Pa. I know better." Joe nodded his head until he felt dizzy.

Pa let go of the reins and the boys were off to town for supplies and adventure.

Joe talked and planned, the whole way there. "What we need to do, Hoss, is hurry and get the supplies. We can even help Mr. Orowitz get them together and loaded. That way we can have some time to look over the town before having to go back to the ranch."

Joe noticed that Hoss was keeping his head really still and Hoss’ eyes were squinted. This was a sure sign that his big brother was paying close attention.

"Sounds like a plan to me, little brother." Hoss said, as he stopped the wagon in front of the Trading Post.

Joe hopped like a frog, out of the seat and hurried inside followed by his brother. They waited patiently as Mr. Orowitz waited on another customer.

"Good morning, boys. What may I do for you today?" Mr. Orowitz asked, as he looked over the edge of his spectacles.

Hoss dug in his pocket and pulled out a crumpled list handing it over to Mr. Orowitz. "Pa needs these here supplies."

Eli looked over the list with great care. "Ahhhh. . .I believe we have all the items that you need. Do you boys have other things to do in town? Mr. Chambers just dropped off a rather large order and it will be awhile."

Joe grinned while Hoss licked his lips. "Sure thing, Mr. Orowitz. We’ll be back a bit later." Hoss slowly pushed Joe toward the doorway.

The pair noticed Eli looking at them suspiciously, so they smiled quickly and turned to run into the dusty street.

"Wow, Hoss! That couldn’t have been more perfect. Where should we start?" Joe asked, looking up and down the busy street.

Hoss rubbed his chin. "Let’s start at the beginning. That’s what Pa always says. We’ll start right here at the Trading Post and we’ll go down one side of the town and come back up the other. Remember, Joe, we ain’t prepared to catch that crook today. We just need to get some more information."

Joe nodded. "Hey, Hoss. Don’t they have them wanted posters at the jail?"

"Yeah, I bet they do, why?"

"Well ‘cuz we have that new jail and I bet we could get a better look at what Texas Red looks like." Joe explained.

"We’ll start there then." Hoss said, as the two boys crossed the street.

Once in front of the brick building, they debated about going inside. "You go first, Hoss, you’re the oldest." Joe said.

"Nooooo. . .you can go first, Joe. You’re always complaining about not being able to be first. So here’s your chance." Hoss said, stepping back so Joe was now in front.

Joe shot a defeated glare at his older brother. "Thanks a lot." Joe opened the heavy wooden door and stepped inside the jail.

Joe studied the man that sat behind the large desk. As Hoss closed the door, the man looked up at the duo.

"Well, what can I do for you two, boys?" The sheriff laid down his pencil.

Joe swallowed hard and tried to speak but only a squeak come out. Hoss stepped closer to the desk.

"I’m Erik Cartwright and this is my brother, Joe. My friends call me Hoss."

"Well I’m Sheriff Coffee. It’s nice to meet you both. Now what can I do for ya?"

Joe all of the sudden found his voice. "We was wonderin’ if’n we could look at your, ummm. . .wanted posters?"

Roy grinned a bit. "My wanted posters? You two bounty hunters?"

"Well, no sir, we just want to see what a criminal looks like. Ain’t that right, Hoss?" Joe elbowed his brother in the stomach. Hoss simply grunted as he nodded.

"I see." Roy reached in his desk drawer and pulled out a stack of papers. "Here you go, boys, look all you want."

Joe’s face lit up. "Thanks." He reached over and took the papers.

Joe and Hoss started to search through the posters. Every once in a while they would stop and chuckled at the picture of the person on the flyer.

"Cartwright? Your last name is Cartwright?" Roy asked, as he looked up at the giggling boys. "You any kin to Ben Cartwright?"

"Yes, sir. He’s our, Pa." Joe said. "Do ya know him?"

"Well, yes I do at that. He’s on the town council, right?"

"Yeah. . .I mean yes, sir, he is." Joe answered.

Roy rose from his chair and walked over to stand by the window. "You two find anyone interestin’?"

"Naw, not too interestin’" Hoss said, shuffling the papers once again.

As Hoss stacked the papers one poster fell away from the others and slowly floated to the floor. Joe bent over to pick it up and as he did so, he glanced at the picture.

"This is it, HOSS!!" Joe started hopping around as if he had ants in his pants.

Hoss yanked the paper out of Joe’s hand and looked at it a bit closer. "Yeah, Joe, I really think you’re right."

By now Roy was standing a bit closer to the pair. "Texas Red? If that’s who you’re looking for, I reckon he is miles from here.

Joe bit his lip as he stood on his tiptoes staring at the man on the poster. "That’s him, ain’t it Hoss?" Joe whispered.

"Don’t know, Joe. I mean it really don’t say much and this picture isn’t very good." Hoss spoke as quietly as possible.

"Hoss, you know it’s him. You saw him yourself." Joe said, trying to convince his brother to see things his way.

"You know, Joe? I bet you’re right. I mean, it does look a lot like that man. I think we need to go track him down and find out for ourselves." Hoss said, a serious expression on his face.

"Lets go then." Joe grabbed his brothers large arm and started to tug him. He was having a hard time holding his voice to a whisper.

Hoss quickly straightened the stack of papers and handed them to the sheriff. "Thank you, sir, for lettin’ us look at your wanted posters."

"Well you’re both welcome, but I don’t want you two huntin’ down no criminal now. It’s too dangerous for boys your age." Roy warned as the pair fought over who was going out the door first.

"We won’t, Sheriff Coffee." Joe said, the door slamming shut behind him.

"Told ya, Hoss! Told ya that was the man! You never listen to me." Joe waved his hands in front of his brothers face.

"Shut up, will ya, Joe? So you were right this one time. Now lets go find our five hundred dollars. I think we should start over at the livery stable, but we’ll need to be real quiet at first. I want to make sure Texas Red ain’t over there." Hoss said.

"Yeah, we’ll be real quiet." Joe repeated.

Soon, the two were standing flat against the small livery stable, both trying to peer inside just to see if they might get a glimpse of the wanted man.

"I can’t see nothin’!" Joe yelled.

"Shhh, Joe. Didn’t I tell ya to be quiet?" Hoss scolded.

"Why are you two being so quiet anyway?" A voice behind them caused them to jump and whirl around.

"Gee, Mr. Larson, you scared me half to death." Joe said, as he slid down the building so he could have a seat on the sidewalk.

Hoss was breathing heavy. "Yeah, me too. Why’d ya go and sneak up on us like that?"

"I weren’t sneaking." Big Dan explained. "I was just going inside to get something. What are you two boys up to, anyhow? Where’s your Pa?"

"Pa? He stayed at the house today. He sent me and Hoss to town for some supplies." Joe explained as he rose to his feet.

"Well, come on in and tell me what ya need." Dan said, as he pushed the door open.

Joe glanced and Hoss and noticed a worried expression on his face. "Need?" Hoss asked.

"Well, that’s why ya two are here, ain’t it? Ya said you needed some supplies." Dan moved behind the counter and tied an apron around his neck.

"Yeah, I did say that didn’t I? Well . . ." Hoss drifted off in thought trying to figure out one thing he could buy there.

Joe left Hoss standing at the counter to deal with Big Dan as he explored the store to see any signs of . . .well, he didn’t know what he was looking for, but he decided it would be wise to look anyway.

"Joe, ya ready?" Hoss called across the room.

Joe hurried over to stand by his brother. "Yep, if’n you are."

Hoss turned back to their friend. "Thanks for the ummm. . .harness, sir."

"You’re welcome, boys. Ya behave yourselves."

"How did you buy a harness?" Joe asked. "You didn’t have no money."

"I asked Mr. Larson to charge it for me in Pa’s name." Hoss said, as he shook his head. "Dang it, Joe, Pa is gonna be mad as a wet hen when he finds out. How did you talk me into this anyway?"

Joe skipped beside his brother as he thought about the situation. "You’ll be able to pay for that harness when we get that reward money, so don’t worry ‘bout it big brother."

"Hey, you’re right, Joe. I guess we best hurry though, ‘cuz explainin’ this new harness is gonna be hard."

Joe stopped and looked around town. "Where to next?"

"Well I guess that would be the boarding house." Hoss said.

The two hurried to the boarding house to do more exploring. In fact, they spent several hours skimming the town for clues and asking questions. Only after they overheard a couple of men talking about the time, did they hurry back to the wagon to finish loading the supplies.

"We gonna be late, Hoss?" Joe asked, lifting a box into the back of the wagon.

"Naw. . .well a little. But we can just tell Pa the truth. We went for a walk around town." Hoss finished loading the crate and the two climbed aboard to head home.

"Hey, that’s a good one, brother. A walk around town, that we did." Joe shifted to get more comfortable.

"Hoss, we’ve got to get back to town, soon. Ya heard all those people. . . Texas Red only comes out at night. Joe frowned. "We gotta get into town at night so we can catch him."

"Yeah, I thought about that, too. But how are we gonna do that? Pa ain’t gonna let us come into town at night." Hoss snapped the reins a bit harder to hurry the horses along. "I been thinkin’ ‘bout a lot of things, Little Joe and I think I know just how we can catch that crook. But first we have to get into town to find out his routine."

"When? Tonight? Joe smiled at the anticipation.

Hoss squinted his eyes. "Nope, not tonight, brother. We have to make some plans first. I reckon we will have to come a couple nights or maybe three, before the job is done."

When the pair had arrived home, they quickly unloaded the wagon. Once they were finished, it was time to explain their tardiness.

Joe jumped right in when Pa had asked them where they had been. He explained how they took a walk around the town and how they had met interestin’ people on top of it.

"And when we heard them two fellows in suits talkin’ ‘bout the time, we hurried right home, Pa." Joe took a breath once his tale was finished.

"Well, the next time I send you two to town, I expect you to be home in a decent amount of time. If you want to take a walk, you can take one to the barn to do your chores." Pa said, firmly.

"Yes, Pa." Joe blurted out.

"Yeah, Pa. I mean yes, sir. Next time, we won’t walk nowhere. We will just get the supplies and come right home." Hoss said.

"Fine, I’ll let it go this time. Now you two go do your chores and hurry up about it. Hop Sing will be threatening to go back to Shelby’s again if you cause him to ruin another meal." Pa turned and stomped to the house.

The Cartwright family sat and enjoyed a peaceful meal. Joe could tell Pa had calmed down by the way he was talking a lot softer. Joe picked at his peas as he tried to decide how on earth they would get into town two or three times without being caught. He shivered as he thought about the consequences. Last time he had gone to town by himself, his tail was on fire for a couple days. This time is different, though Hoss would be with him so he really wasn’t by himself, was he? The only problem with that plan, was that Hoss wasn’t allowed in town after dark anymore than Joe was.

Once the meal was finished, Adam moved over to read a book, as Pa pulled out the ledgers. Hop Sing messed around with some seeds. Joe and Hoss decided to go to the bunkroom to get some rest.

"Hoss? Did ya forget to tell Pa ‘bout that new harness?" Joe asked, as he fluffed his pillow a bit.

Hoss groaned. "Naw, I didn’t forget. I just decided not to tell him, well, not right now, anyway."

Joe stood up from his bed and peeked his head over the edge of Hoss’ bunk. Hoss rolled over and leaned on his elbow so he could see Joe in the eye.

"Joe, we gotta catch that man. I have to pay Pa ‘fore he finds out ‘bout that harness."

Joe nodded. "Yeah, but we have to get into town at night. How will we do that?"

"I changed my mind, Joe, I think we’ll sneak out, tonight. We have to at least get an idea of the guy’s routine. I have an idea how to capture him, but we need a bit more information." Hoss said, as he rolled over on his back.

"Yeah, tonight." Joe bounced up and down like a rabbit hopping across a meadow. He moved to his bed and took a seat thinking of all the excitement of an adventure at night.

Hoss shook Joe awake. The boy sat up wide-eyed and a bit frightened at first, until he remembered their plans for the evening. Joe realized that Hoss was already dressed, so he quickly slid from his bed and put on his clothes.

Joe was careful to step over Adam’s boots and he was almost scared to breathe as they opened the door that led out to the porch.

Once outside, Joe released the huge amount of air he had been trying to hold in. "Boy, Hoss, it sure is hard to be quiet."

"Shhhh. . ." Hoss held his finger up and the two scurried to the barn to saddle their horses for the trip to town.

"So what’s your idea to catch him?" Joe asked, when they were about half way to town.

"Well, Joe, it’s a long story, but when we know if’n we can do it for sure, I’ll tell ya all about it."

Joe shrugged his shoulders. "Alright, whatever you say."

The pair knew they were getting close to town when they could hear the distant laughter of men, most of whom were probably drunk, and the tapping of a piano came from the saloon.

"Where we gonna start tonight?" Joe asked, as they came to the edge of town.

Hoss glanced over at his little brother. "Well, I reckon we have to start at Shelby’s place."

"SHELBY’S?! We can’t go in there."

"Well, no one said we couldn’t peek in the windows, now, did they?" Hoss slowed Chubb to a trot.

"Ya don’t think Pa would be mad if’n we was just peekin’ in the windows?" Joe asked, as he brought Paint alongside Hoss.

"Well, it really don’t matter right now. We already snuck out, that’s enough for Pa to have our hides. We really don’t have much to lose now, do we?" Hoss reined Chubb to a stop in front of the saloon.

Joe followed suit. They both tied their horses to the hitching post and turned to walk beside Shelby’s saloon.

They found themselves beside the window on the right side of the small building. It was a perfect view. When they looked inside they would be able to see all the tables and the bar was all the way on the other side, which lessened the chance of being seen by Shelby. Hoss stacked a couple of crates under the window for Joe to stand on.

"I can’t see nothin’, Hoss." Joe stood on his tiptoes trying to see inside.

"Here, let me have a look." Hoss picked Joe up and placed him on the ground. He took the spot where Joe had been standing.

"Do ya see anything?" Joe shifted with impatience.

"Yeah, yeah, I do." Hoss jumped down. "He’s in there, Joe. I saw him."

Joe started to breathe a bit faster. If from fear or excitement, he did not know. "What are we gonna do?"

"Wait." Hoss said.

"Why wait? Lets go get him." Joe went to step away from the building.

Hoss grabbed his arm. "We are gonna wait and see where he goes. Tomorrow night, we are gonna do the same. Then we will be able to set the trap, I just have to make sure he does the same things every night."

Joe and Hoss waited for a couple of hours for the suspect to step out of the saloon.

"That’s him Hoss, come on, lets go." Joe slid from his spot and the pair slowly started to track the man.

It wasn’t hard to keep up with him. The man was so drunk that he could barely walk. Once, he even fell in the street and it took him a few moments to get up.

Joe and Hoss followed the man down the street to the new boarding house. The man tapped on the door and someone on the other side opened it. A few minutes later, they watched as a candle appeared in the window on the right.

"Well, we know where he’s living. I bet he gets drunk every night." Hoss stepped up to the window and was trying to peek inside between the slightly parted curtains. Joe stood back a bit waiting to hear what Hoss was seeing.

Hoss jumped back when Texas Red’s face appeared in the window. "I think we need to get home, Joe."

Joe felt Hoss grab his arm and before he knew what was happening, he was being dragged to his horse. Hoss lifted him up into his saddle and the two boys were on their way home.

Joe was so tired, that he was barely able to stay awake in his saddle. He jerked when Hoss called his name.

"I’m awake, I’m awake." Joe yawned.

"Well, get a move on. We gotta get home and get some rest." Hoss nudged Chubb so the horse would walk a bit faster. Joe followed Hoss’ lead and before they knew it, they were home.

Joe carefully unsaddled Paint. He brushed her down quickly and gave her a large scoop of grain.

When they were finished, they both tiptoed to the house. They opened the door that led to the bunkroom and slid inside like a cat stalking a mouse. They both quickly undressed and jumped into their beds.

"Where have you two been?" Adam questioned, his voice filled with the sound of sleep.

Joe turned over so he could see the outline of his brother in the darkness. "Nowhere. Why?"

Adam scooted up in his bed. "I know you were both gone for awhile. I woke up when I heard the door close earlier."

Joe sat up. "Ya ain’t gonna tell, are ya, Adam?"

"Nope. If you’re up to something, Pa will find out on his own. I don’t want any part of your trouble."

"We ain’t in no trouble." Hoss propped himself up on his elbow.

"Oh no? If Pa finds out you two snuck out, you’ll be in plenty of trouble." Adam slithered back under his blankets. "You both better get some sleep. Morning will be here too soon."

Adam was right, morning was there before they knew it. Joe crawled out of bed in slow motion and felt as if hadn’t slept in a month. He noticed Hoss wasn’t much better, as he too, was moving rather slowly.

At breakfast, the young men had a horrible time staying awake.

"Boys?"Pa’s voice called to the pair to open their eyes and hurry their eating.

"Yeah, Pa." Joe shoveled some eggs in his mouth.

Pa frowned. "What’s wrong with the two of you?"

Hoss shifted in his chair. "Nothin’, Pa. We’re fine ain’t we, Joe?"

Joe nodded his head. His mouth was too full of eggs to speak.

"Aren’t you feeling well?" Pa reached across the table to feel Joe’s forehead.

"I’m fine, Pa, honest." Joe picked up a piece of bacon.

He noticed Pa was studying him closely. "Really, Pa. I’m fine."

"You both have chores to do, so when you’re finished, you need to get busy." Pa scooted his chair back and rose from the table.

Pa and Adam grabbed their hats and headed out the door.

"Hoss, I ain’t gonna make it through my chores. We can’t do this for two or three more nights." Joe leaned his head into his hand and closed his eyes.

"Yeah, you’re right. We have to finish it tonight, Joe." Hoss reached over and grabbed the last of the bacon and shoved it into his mouth.

Both boys sat at the table, Hoss eating and Joe sleeping. They both jumped when the door opened.

"Boys?" Joe looked up at his father.

"Yes, Pa?" Hoss replied.

"Don’t you have chores?" Pa stepped inside, his arms draped over his large chest.

"Yes, sir." Both spoke in unison as they got up from their chairs. They hurried past Pa as he stood in the doorway.

Joe moaned and whined as he and Hoss did their chores. "Hoss, I’m so tired." Joe yawned for the hundredth time.

"Perhaps you need to go to bed a bit earlier." Pa stepped into the barn. "Lunch is about ready. What’s taking you two so long?"

"Oh, just doing a good job, Pa." Hoss answered as he raked at the straw with a bit more enthusiasm.

"You two aren’t even a quarter of the way finished." Pa frowned as he looked around the barn.

"Sorry, Pa, we uhhh. . .just got behind today." Joe leaned his rake against the wall of the barn. "Maybe some lunch will give us some strength."

"You both need to get busy after lunch or you’ll still be doing chores in the middle of the night. Come on, we don’t want to keep Hop Sing waiting."

Joe and Hoss walked tiredly past their father and headed for the house. As they sat at the table, Joe kept drifting off to sleep. Finally, Pa was convinced that he was ill and sent him to bed for an afternoon nap.

It was the first time that Joe was grateful to be sent to bed. He headed for the bunkroom and fell down on his bed as if he were a freshly cut tree falling in the forest. He was dog tired and quickly drifted into a deep slumber.

The sound of dishware clanking woke Joe from his restful sleep. He sat up in his bed and rubbed his eyes. He looked around the room trying to figure out why he was in bed. Then he remembered that Pa thought he was sick and he was sent for a nap. By the sounds in the main room, Hop Sing was setting the table for dinner.

Joe threw his legs over the side of his bunk. He sat for a few moments trying to get the fuzziness out of his brain. He stood, crossed the room and opened the door to the living area. Pa and Adam were having a heated chess game, Hop Sing was stirring something in a big pot and Hoss was snoring softly sitting up in one of the chairs by the fire.

Joe stepped further into the room. He moved over to sit down on the settee so he could warm his feet.

"Felling better?" Pa asked, moving a chess piece. "Check."

Joe looked over his shoulder only to find Adam frowning at his father. Adam didn’t lose at chess very often and when he did, he was not happy about it. "I feel fine, Pa. I was just a bit tired."

"Your brother seemed to be a bit tired, also." Pa pointed to the sleeping form in the chair. "You want to tell me about it?"

Joe swallowed nervously. Pa couldn’t know about last night, unless Adam. . .Joe gave his eldest brother a glare. When Adam gave Joe an ‘I didn’t say a thing’ look, Joe decided he was safe. "Tell ya about what?"

Pa raised an eyebrow. "About why you and your brother are so tired. Oh, and Hoss finished all your chores as well as his. It would do you well to make sure you do your share tonight."

Joe nodded. "Yes, Pa, but there ain’t nothin’ to tell."

"There isn’t anything to tell, Joe." Adam said, out of habit.

"I know, Adam, I just said that." Joe said, disgustedly.

Joe watched as Adam rolled his eyes. "Checkmate, Pa." A grin crossed Adam’s face that made even Joe smile.

"How did you? But I was winning. . .how did you. . .? Never mind, pick up these pieces. Joseph wake your brother and then everyone wash-up. I believe dinner is almost ready." Pa rubbed his hands together as he stood and walked to the basin to clean up.

Joe walked over to his sleeping brother. Why was it Hoss didn’t sound like a freight train when he was asleep in a chair? Joe looked at him for a moment and when Hoss’ lip quivered he started to laugh. "Hey, Pa. I think ya need to let Hoss sleep in here more often."

Pa grinned from across the room. "Well, wake him up. If we don’t he’ll never forgive us for letting him miss a meal."

Joe cautiously reached out and shook his brothers arm. When Hoss moved a bit, the youngster jumped back as if he had just touched some hot coals. "Hoss. . .Hoss. . .HOSS!!"

"I DIDN’T DO IT!!" Hoss sat straight up and looked around.

Joe started to laugh out of control, as Adam, Pa, and Hop Sing stared at Hoss as if he just swallowed a spider.

"You didn’t do what, son?" Pa was now sitting at his spot at the table.

Joe noticed that Hoss’ face was turning a nice pink color. "I don’t know, Pa. I musta been dreaming."

"Why don’t you come join us for dinner?" Pa waved to the empty chairs.

Hoss grinned. "That sounds mighty fine to me."

Joe followed Hoss to the water basin and they both quickly washed up. Now that they were rested they ate until they were full to their eyeballs. Joe knew that they could catch the famous Texas Red tonight.

After dinner, Joe and Hoss filed outside to do the evening chores. Adam stayed in the house to help Pa with some numbers in the ledger that he couldn’t get to balance.

Hoss outlined his plan to Joe. "I got all the stuff ready, too." Hoss pointed to his saddlebags.

"WOW, Hoss. We are gonna really do it, ain’t we?" Joe said.

"Yep and if we do it right, we will be five hundred dollars richer tomorrow morning."

The twosome smiled devilishly as they headed back to the house. Soon, their adventure would begin.

Joe figured it was around midnight when he jerked out of a light sleep. The moonlight was shining through the window leaving long shadows across the room as he slid from his warm blankets. The youngest Cartwright reached to shake Hoss, but Hoss was already awake and getting out of bed.

Joe and Hoss were as quiet as mice trying to steal cheese, as they hurried to dress. Before they knew it, they were on their way to town. Joe was so excited, he kept twitching in his saddle. Paint was prancing around like she had never been broken, causing Joe to have to jerk the reins to control her.

After a considerable amount of time, the soft glow of the town appeared over the horizon. Joe looked at the town from the distance in complete fascination.

"Hey, Hoss? What causes the town to glow like that? I mean, from back here it’s kinda pretty."

"I guess it’s the candles and stuff, Joe. Ya know, they light a few candles on the streets now, so people can see to get home. Come on, we gotta get movin.’"

Joe and Hoss sped up their horses a bit, but once they were on the edge of town they slowed down. They took Paint and Chubb and tied them in the back of the Trading Post. From the way Mr. Orowitz protected the store, they knew the horses would be safe.

The pair headed for the street. All was silent except for the noises coming from Shelby’s and the muttering of a few men who were walking toward Jack’s place. The soft glow of the new street candles made the town seemed haunted and Joe could feel himself tremble a bit.

"Did I say earlier that the town looked pretty? I was wrong, Hoss, it’s creepy at night." Joe whispered as he moved a little closer to his big brother.

"Well no matter, we got work to do. Lets go get the trap set. Dang it." Hoss snapped his fingers in frustration.

Joe looked up at Hoss. "What’s the matter?"

"I forgot the net. It’s tied onto my saddle." Hoss turned and headed back to his horse, Joe following close behind.

Once the net was retrieved, the boys headed back toward the boarding house.

"Where’d ya get that net?" Joe asked.

"It’s Pa’s. I found it along time ago stashed away in a trunk in the barn. I suppose it’s from his sailing days."

"Oh, did ya ask Pa if we could use it?" Joe questioned.

Hoss looked at Joe as if he were stupid. "Well what do ya think, Joe? I went to Pa and said, ‘ Pa can we borrow that net out in the barn so we can sneak to town and catch that criminal Texas Red?’" Hoss’ voice was filled with sarcasm.

"Didn’t think of that. Guess ya didn’t ask then, huh? Hey, why we goin’ to the boarding house? You know Texas Red is at the Saloon."

"Well, Joe, he will be drunk when he gets back from the saloon. So while he is waiting for the door to open, we will throw this net over him and drag him to jail." Hoss’ plan seemed so simple.

Wait for the crook, toss the net, take ‘im to the sheriff, and collect five hundred dollars.

"Wow, Hoss, this is gonna be easy as pie." Joe said, as he ran ahead a bit.

Once the boys reached the boarding house, they each found a spot to hide in the shadows. Joe stooped to the right, while Hoss crouched to the left. The plan was when Texas Red went to open the door, Hoss would toss the net over him and Joe would catch it on the other side. Then they would drag the criminal to the sheriff’s office and collect their reward. When they showed Pa all that money, there would be no way he would punish them for sneaking into town. They knew he would be so proud of them.

So the waiting game began. Joe had stayed stooped for so long that his right leg was going numb. He was getting ready to complain, when he heard the singing of a drunken man coming toward the house.

"That’s got to be him, Hoss." Joe whispered across the sidewalk.

Joe saw Hoss nod his head in the lamplight. "Get ready, Joe."

As soon as the man stepped on the planked sidewalk, the boys went into action. Hoss tossed the fish net over the man’s head. Joe grabbed the other side of it and yanked hard.

"What the–?" The man’s words were cut short.

Dust was rising, fists were flying, as Joe jumped on the man and began to shout. "We got you, Texas Red!! You might as well give up!!"

All three figures were rolling on the sidewalk, which caused their feet to hit the door of the boarding house. Miss Plum opened the door and started to screech, which brought all the boarders in the house scurrying down the stairs and out into the street.

Joe and Hoss weren’t aware of all the eyes that were on them. They were too busy trying to make sure the ‘criminal’ could not escape.

Suddenly, Joe was pulled to his feet by a strong hand. At first, he thought that his father had followed him to town, but when he looked over his shoulder he noticed Sheriff Coffee holding on to him.

"STOP IT, STOP IT, NOW!!" The sheriff’s voice rang above the yells and chattering of the crowd.

In an instant all had gone silent. "What is goin’ on here?!" Sheriff Coffee’s tone was stern. "What in Sam Hill are you boys doing in town this late at night?"

"We were catchin’ Texas Red, but he might get away now!" Joe shouted as he tried to jerk his arm away.

"Hold on now. You just calm down, young man." The Sheriff tightened his grip on Joe’s arm. "I think we need to go over to the jail and sort all this out. Everyone break it up, break it up. Nothin’ more ta see here."

Joe squirmed as the small crowd started to break up, leaving only him, Hoss, and Texas Red behind.

"Sheriff, I don’t know what is going on with these lads. I was merely tryin’ to head ta me bed when I was jumped from behind." Texas Red had stood up and started to dust off his trousers. Hoss quickly straightened up and grabbed the man’s arm, so he could not make a escape.

"You two were in my office a couple days ago, weren’t ya?" Sheriff Coffee asked, as he started walking toward the jail. Joe shifted once again, but the sheriff kept his hold. All four men, young and old–headed for the jail.

"Okay, would someone like to explain to me what is goin’ on?" Roy moved to sit behind his desk, leaving the trio standing in front.

"Well, Sheriff, sir, we. . ." Joe waved his hand at Hoss then back to himself. "We saw that wanted poster of Texas Red. So, we decided that we would go catch him for you."

"Ya did, did ya? Well, where is he?" Sheriff Coffee leaned back in his chair.

Hoss and Joe both pointed at the semi-sober man that stood between them.

Joe watched the man’s eyes become larger than half dollars.

"Me? You lads are thinkin’ that I’m this Texas Red fellow? I tell ye that I’m no such person. Me name is Patrick Robinson O’Flaherty. I’ve been called many things in my time, but Texas Red is not one of ‘em."

Joe took a step closer to Mr. O’Flaherty. "You’re lyin’. I seen the poster, you look just like him!"

"That’s enough now, boy." Sheriff Coffee hissed. "Texas Red? Texas Red? Ya mean that man that is on one of them wanted posters I showed ya?"

Joe shook his head so hard that he started to get dizzy "Yes, sir, that’s the one, and we done caught him. We would like our reward now, please."

Sheriff Coffee rubbed his chin. "Well, boys, I hate to break it to you, but I really don’t think Mr. O’Flaherty is your man."

Joe’s mouth fell open and Hoss groaned. "Ya mean we ain’t gonna get no reward?" Joe asked.

"Nope." Sheriff Coffee stood and waved. "I think we need to go fetch your pa."

Joe piped up. "Our PA?! I mean, we can go home right now, sir."

"For one thing, I have a feeling that your Pa don’t know you’re in town. Secondly, if Mr. O’Flaherty wants to, he can press some charges for assault."

Joe and Hoss slid their eyes to the large, battered half-drunk man that was standing beside them.

Mr. Patrick O’Flaherty sighed. "Well, before I make me decision I want to meet the father of these two young men."

"Fair enough, Mr. O’Flaherty." Roy said, as he led the boys to a small room in the back. Mr. O’Flaherty followed close behind.

"I’d be much obliged if ya would call me Patrick."

"Well, then, you can call me Roy." The Sheriff moved in front of one of the two small cells. "Boys, in ya go."

"WHAT! Are ya arrestin’ us? Please don’t arrest us, Mr. Sheriff." Joe started to sniff.

"I ain’t arresting’ ya, boy. I just want to make sure you two don’t run off. Now, where did ya say that ranch of yours was? I think I remember Mr. Larson sayin’ he had been that way before. Does Mr. Larson know where your ranch is?"

Joe was afraid if he was left alone with Hoss, that his brother might kill him. But, that might be better than what Pa would do. "Yes, sir. Mr. Larson, he knows where the ranch is."

Roy nodded his head. "You two might as well get comfortable. I’m goin over to see if Mr. Larson will go fetch your pa. Patrick, would you mind stayin’ here for awhile?"

"No, I don’t mind at all, kind sir. Might I have a bit of that coffee that is brewin’ on the stove?"

Joe and Hoss entered the cell and their eyes widened when Roy shut the door soundly. "You two might try to catch some shut eye. You’re gonna be here for awhile."

Joe watched as Mr. O’Flaherty and the Sheriff disappeared into the other room, softly closing the door behind them.

Joe moved over to the bunk on the left while Hoss took a seat on the right.

"Joe, I don’t know how on earth you keep gettin’ me into these messes. Pa is gonna have our hides. That’s if’n he don’t kill us first."

"Awwww, Hoss. He won’t be that mad, will he?" Joe was starting to get worried.

"Well, lets see, Joe. We snuck out of the house, we attacked an innocent man, and now we are in JAIL! No. .no. . .he won’t be mad. He will be furious!"

Joe winced at the sound of Hoss’ voice. His middle brother didn’t lose his temper often, but when he did–it was not a nice sight.

"Maybe some outlaws will come to break us out of jail or maybe the wall will fall in and we can run off. Maybe Pa won’t wake up and he won’t check to see if we are there. Or maybe there will be a snowstorm and Pa won’t be able to come." Joe was hoping that just one of the things he had said would come true.

Hoss picked up the flat pillow off his cot and slung it at his brother, who yelped when it hit him.

"Ya know well as I do that we are never that lucky, Joe. You might as well get used to the idea, Pa is gonna kill us." Hoss groaned at the thought of riding in a saddle for days and days with a very sore backside.

Joe rolled over on his stomach and started to weep into his pillow. He wanted to be brave, but he felt like a little kid at the same time. He kept thinkin’ about that rifle he wouldn’t be getting and how Hoss owed Pa for the new harness he charged, and of all the trouble they were in. Joe finally drifted to sleep, his mind buzzing with the day’s events.

Some time later, Joe was awakened by some voices in the other room. He sat up on his cot and looked over at Hoss.

Hoss was awake leaning against the cold brick cell. He had his eyes closed and his head was leaning against the wall as he tried to listen with all his might.

"Who is it, Hoss?" Joe whispered across the small room.

Hoss turned his head and Joe realized that it looked like he was gonna be sick.

"Well, who is it?" Joe asked, again.

Hoss said one word. A word that could scare the feathers off a chicken if you were in trouble. Not that they were scared of Pa, but they sure didn’t like to think about what he was gonna do when he got them home. Hoss mumbled the word ‘Pa’.

Joe swallowed several times, trying to get the lump in his throat to go down, but he couldn’t. Instead he tried to be really quiet so he could hear what was being said.

"What are they saying?" Joe spoke so low Hoss had to lean over a bit to hear him.

Hoss shrugged his shoulders. "I don’t know exactly, but I have a feeling it’s about us, Joe."

After what seemed like days and days, the door that separated the two rooms slowly started to creak open. Joe and Hoss heard the sounds of heavy boots walking across the floor.

When Joe and Hoss looked up, there was Pa standing in front of the cell. They both leapt to their feet so fast that if you had been looking from the outside to the inside of the cell they would have been nothing but a blur.

They both stood silent for a moment, neither really knowing what to say. Pa looked like heck, Joe thought. Pa hadn’t shaved, his shirt was wrinkled and his hair was going in every direction but down. He could tell by the way Pa’s pants were tucked into his boots that Pa hadn’t put on socks. Joe did notice that Pa had taken time to put on his belt.

Both boys jerked when their father finally spoke. It wasn’t really what their father said, he only said a single word. But it was the tone and manner that the word was spoken.

"Boys." Pa drew the word out, making the word sound like it had fifteen letters in it instead of just four.

At first all was quiet, but finally Joe blurted out. "So. . .ummm. . .Pa. . . .what are ya doin’ in town?"

Joe figured he must have said the wrong thing, because when he asked that question, the frown on his father’s face deepened. Not only that, his father’s hands flew to his belt which caused Joe to almost choke. Joe also noticed that Pa’s eyebrows were pulled close together over his flaming eyes, which he knew was not good, not good at all.

"I think I should be asking you two the same question, don’t you?" Pa spoke in a clipped tone.

Joe was about to say something else when Mr. O’Flaherty walked into the small room. "Ya must be Mr. Cartwright."

Pa turned to face the man. "Mr. O’Flaherty, I presume?"

"Ahhh. . .I am indeed. So, these two lads belong ta ya do they? I’m just a might curious as ta how ya might punish these two." Mr. O’Flaherty crossed his arms as he glared at his attackers, still behind bars.

Joe watched as Pa ran his hand down his face. Pa glanced at his sons and frowned. "Mr. O’Flaherty, I assure you the boys will be punished properly."

"I see. Call me Patrick won’t ya."

"If I’m to call you Patrick, then you will call me Ben." Pa reached out to shake the mans hand.

"I was waitin’ ta meet the father of these lads, before decidin’ if I should press charges. I have a feelin’ though that ya will take care of these two."

"Yes, I will, Patrick. Believe me, when I get through with these two they won’t want to come back to town for a long, long, long, time. I thank you for waiting before making a decision. Some people would not be so considerate." Even though Joe wasn’t looking at his father, he could feel the man’s eyes burning a hole through him.

"I’m glad it’s all settled then." Roy said. "I just need you both to sign some papers, so I can release the prisoners. Oh, and I have a fishnet that belongs to someone. Mr. Cartwright, perhaps you can identify it?"

Pa frowned. "A fishnet? And please call me Ben."

"Call me Roy."

Joe and Hoss both fell back onto their cots when the adults had disappeared back into the other room.

"Joe?"

"Yeah, Hoss?"

"How do I let you talk me into these things?" Hoss, punched his pillow a bit.

"Don’t know, Hoss. You’re just easy to talk to I suppose." Joe placed his arm across his weary eyes. "Hoss, I think we have a long day ahead of us."

Without looking up Hoss replied. "Yep."

It wasn’t long after the men left, that the sheriff returned to the room. "Alright, boys, you’re free to go. I’m releasing you to your father. Mr. O’Flaherty has decided not to press charges."

Joe and Hoss stepped out of the cell and Roy ushered them into the other room.

Joe noticed Mr. O’Flaherty and his father standing in the corner examining a slightly torn fishnet.

"Yes, this is mine. Seems to me the boys must have borrowed it–without MY permission." Pa shot a disgusted look at his two wayward sons.

"Ben, they’re all yours." Roy said, hanging the cell key on a peg behind his desk.

"Thank you, Roy." Pa replied, as he started to roll up the fishnet. "Boys, where are your horses?"

Hoss cleared his throat. "Ummm. . .we left them behind the Trading Post, sir."

"Fine, lets go get them." Pa opened the door and was startled by Big Dan, who was getting ready to step inside.

"Hey, Ben. I done found two horses tied up behind the Orowitz’s store. I figured that they belong to the boys, so I brought them on over."

"Thank you, Daniel. I very much appreciate it." Pa reached out to shake Big Dan’s hand.

"You’re mighty welcome, Ben." Big Dan grasped Pa’s hand to return the handshake.

Pa jerked his head toward the open doorway and Joe and Hoss hurried past their father, never taking their eyes off his face.

The boys trudged their way to their horses. They were not looking forward to going home. Nope not at all.

Joe looked up at Hoss his eyes filled with worry. "Hoss, do ya think them bandits I was talkin’ ‘bout earlier will attack us on the way home? Or maybe a mountain lion wi–."

"OH SHUT UP, JOE!" Hoss yelled, causing a few sleeping birds to fly from their safe haven.

"Is there a problem?" Pa questioned as he frowned at his misbehaving sons.

Hoss whirled around like a dust devil. "No, sir, everything is just fine."

Pa took two long strides over to where Buck was standing waiting, for his master. "Well I suggest you both be quiet all the way home, unless you want me to stop the horses and tan you till you can’t sit down. Am I perfectly clear?"

"Yes, sir." The duo answered together, sounding like the call of two very sick doves.

Pa pointed to their horses. "I suggest you get mounted before I change my mind about tanning you both right now."

To say the ride home was long was an understatement. Every time the boys would lag behind, Pa would pull his horse to a stop and demand they catch up and quickly. About half way home, Pa made Joseph ride to his left and Hoss to right.

Once Joe yelled around his father so he could speak to his middle brother. "This is all your fault, Hoss!"

Hoss ignored him as he kept looking straight ahead.

"Joseph. That’s enough." Pa snapped.

Joe sat atop of his horse, his temper brewing. But, he was in enough trouble and figured it was best not to say another word.

Once in the yard, the trio dismounted and headed for the barn. The sun was just beginning to peek over the ridge and the air looked hazy. The birds were just starting to chirp and the boys could hear the cow mooing in the barn waiting to be milked.

"You two take care of the horses, including mine. When you’re finished with that, you can get your chores done. I’ll meet you in the house when everything is completed." Pa casually headed for the house as if nothing was wrong. But, by the way Pa had his fist clenched, the boys knew he was angry.

Hoss and Joe watched their father disappear into the house. They listened for the squeaking of the hinges and the closing of the front door, before speaking another word.

"Hoss?"

"Yeah, Joe?"

"What do ya think Pa is gonna do to us?" Joe was calming Paint down, while Hoss turned to head to the barn.

"Joe, I don’t even want to think about it. Come on, lets get the horses taken care of." Hoss disappeared inside, leaving Joe standing in the morning light for a moment before following behind his brother.

The pair hurried, but took care of all three horses properly. It would not do them well not to take care of the animals. Hoss patted Chubb’s rump before turning to speak to Joe.

"Hey, Joe, we best get in the house." Hoss wiped his hands on his pants.

Joe whined. "Hoss, I don’t want to go inside, yet. My tail is already startin’ to prickle."

"Yeah mine too." Hoss replied, grabbing Joe’s shirt sleeve and dragging him along with him.

When they stepped into the house, Adam, Pa, and Hop Sing all looked up.

Adam looked almost as bad as Pa. Joe figured that Adam had sat up from the time Mr. Larson came to fetch Pa, until they had arrived home.

The pair stood in the doorway, unsure what to do. Pa motioned to their empty chairs. "Please sit down and eat your breakfast." Pa spoke in a flat tone.

Both boys hurried to their seats. Hoss wasn’t his normal starving self and only ate two servings instead of three. Joe, however, picked at his food until Pa tapped his plate and reminded him that he was to eat his breakfast, not play with it.

Joe was surprised that Pa hadn’t talked about what happened. He thought for sure Pa would scold them all through breakfast. When Pa didn’t mention it at lunch either, the youngest Cartwright son convinced himself that was just going to let it slide. He wouldn’t punish them for their long list of crimes.

That night at dinner, Joe ate his supper and chattered away like the squirrels do in the trees in the fall. When the family had finished eating their meal, Hoss and Hop Sing did the dishes. When Hoss dropped his fourth dish, Hop Sing shooed him away.

Pa relaxed on the settee sipping coffee, while Adam and Joe played a game of checkers. Hoss moved over to sit by the fire and simply stared into the flames in deep thought. Hop Sing sat at the table and wrote a letter to his family.

"Crown me, Joe." Adam gloated.

"Hey, how did you do that?" Joe scowled.

"I’m just havin’ a good game tonight, little brother." Adam replied, placing a checker on top of another.

The boys looked up when Pa leaned forward and placed his coffee cup on the table. "Joseph, when you’re finished with that game, I want to speak to you in the barn. You too, Erik."

Joe was so surprised at the statement that his arm hit the checkerboard, causing the checkers to fly through the air. Adam and Joe watched as the checkers flipped in the light and fell to the floor.

Pa stood and stretched before pointing to the checkerboard. "I guess that means the game is over. Joseph, help Adam pick up the pieces. I’ll meet you and Erik outside when you’re finished."

"Yes, sir." Hoss and Joe answered.

The Cartwright boys watched their father’s retreating back. They stared at each for a moment, before picking the checkers up from the floor.

"Hoss, did ya hear Pa? He called ya Erik." Joe said, seriously.

"Yeah, I heard him. Joe, ya know when Pa calls me Erik, that we’re in big trouble."

Joe swallowed hard as he picked up the last checker. He placed it on the board and took some time to deliberate his options. He could not go to the barn, he could run and hide someplace. No, no that would never work, Pa always finds him when he hides. Then his punishment is worse. Joe was still in deep thought when he felt himself being pulled toward the door. He looked up and Hoss had the collar of his shirt, dragging him.

"Ya can let go, I was comin’" Joe tried to smack Hoss’ hands from his neck.

"Yeah, I know ya are comin’. I ain’t facin’ Pa alone and by that silly look on your face, ya might just try to hightail it in the other direction." Hoss kept his grip tight until they reached the barn.

When they stepped through the barn entrance, Pa told them to close the heavy doors. He had the pair come stand in front of him. For the longest time Pa merely shook his head at his two mischievous sons.

Joe was so nervous that he really thought he was just gonna faint right there. It didn’t help that all those leather straps were hanging on the barn wall. Then he remembered that Pa had never killed them before, so most likely he wouldn’t this time either. Pa was always fair when it came to punishments. Even though he didn’t like the outcome, Joe knew that Pa would only give him what he deserved.

By the way Pa’s head was bobbin’ up and down like a fishing cork, Joe figured he was lecturing them real good. But Joe was still thinking about all the things that five hundred dollars could have bought. He really wasn’t hearing a thing his father was saying. The sound of Pa’s belt coming off made the boy pay close attention.

"Joseph, you understand why you are being punished, don’t you?" Pa asked, his voice gruff.

"Ummm. . .’cuz we snuck to town?" Boy, Joe wished he had paid attention.

Pa frowned. "And?"

Hoss was watching his youngest brother out of the corner of his eyes.

"Ummm. . .’cuz we attacked that man in town?" Joe wiped his hands on his pants.

Pa shifted. "And?"

The youngster scrunched up his face. "Ummmm. . .’cuz, you had to fetch us from the jail?"

The boys shifted a bit when Pa closed his eyes and shook his head. "And?"

"Pa, I guess there’s so much I can’t remember it all." The boy was trying to remember all of his misdemeanors, but was failing miserably.

"Erik, do you understand why you are being punished?" Ben asked.

"Yes, sir. It’s because of all them things plus–." Hoss’ reply was cut short by his father.

"You were both deceitful, disobedient, and disrespectful. You know you’re not supposed to be in town at night, either of you. Not that you will be going anywhere anytime soon. Sneaking into town, borrowing my things without asking." Pa held up the fishnet. "Attacking that poor man in town. Glory, it’s a wonder you two weren’t shot."

"Is there anything either of you would like to add?" Pa crossed his arms, the belt still hanging from his right hand.

"Yeah, Pa, I reckon I do." Hoss spoke in a low whisper.

Pa raised an eyebrow. "Yes, Erik?"

"The other day, when we were in town. I sorta charged a new harness on your account at the livery."

Pa rubbed his face with his left hand. "Erik, why did you charge a harness? Did you need a new one?"

"No, Pa. . .we. . .I just, well. . .Pa, I thought we could catch the crook and I could pay ya back. I’m real sorry, Pa. I guess I wasn’t thinking." Hoss stammered, ashamed that he had let Joe talk him into such a mess.

"You’ll do extra chores until it’s paid for." Pa said, firmly.

Hoss scowled. "Yes, sir, Pa."

"How long we ‘stricted for this time, Pa?" Joe asked, in his most gloomy voice.

"Now, let me see, you snuck to town, were put in jail, borrowed my things without permission, attacked an innocent man, and no telling what else that I don’t know about. Let me just say that when you’re allowed back in town, I’ll let you know."

Both the boys were blushing at the long list Pa had just recited. "Dangit, Pa, it sure didn’t seem so bad when we was doin’ it." Hoss sighed.

"If you would think things through before you did them, perhaps you would not be in this mess. I think you both know what the rest of your punishment is" Pa said, firmly.

Joe shuddered and his backside prickled. He glanced at Hoss who looked like he was going to throw up on his boots.

"Joseph, go wait in your room. When I’m done speaking with your brother, I’ll talk to you."

Joe looked at Pa from the top of his eyes. "Yes, sir." He trudged out of the barn and was slowly walking toward the house when he heard Hoss yelp. This caused him to pick up his pace and he was in the bunkroom before he had time to take his next breath.

Not long after that, Hoss came into the bunkroom. He swiped his sleeve across his eyes and sniffed. "Joe, Pa wants ya in the barn."

Joe gulped and sat up on the side of his bed. "Hoss, was it bad?"

"Well do ya think it was good? I ought ta pound ya. If’n I didn’t know what Pa was gettin’ ready to do to you, I would." Hoss sniffed again, and fell to his stomach on Adam’s bed.

Joe stood to his feet and shuffled out the bunkroom door. He hurried to the barn once he stepped outside. It was not a good idea to keep Pa waiting, he knew this from previous experiences.

Once he actually reached the barn, he debated about going inside. The decision was made when the door swung open.

"Joseph?" Pa stepped outside.

"I was coming, Pa." Joe said, weakly. "I was just thinkin’ is all, sir."

Pa motioned for the boy to step inside the barn with him. "What were you thinking about, son?"

"Well, I thought about running the other way, but ya opened the door ‘fore I had a chance."

"Would that have solved your problem?" Pa moved to have a seat on the stool by the worktable.

"No, Pa. I would just be in more trouble for runnin’ off." Joe sighed. "Pa, I’m real sorry. I mean I knew better than to go into town, but I thought that Mr. O’Flaherty was ‘Texas Red’. I guess I just got too ‘cited ‘bout the thought of five hundred dollars, Pa."

"Joseph, before you do things, you need to think them through. You thought that Mr. O’Flaherty was ‘Texas Red’, but you didn’t take time to get all the facts. You would have saved yourself a lot of grief if you had."

Joe looked down at the barn floor. "I know that now, Pa."

"I wish you had thought about it earlier, if so, we wouldn’t be here right now. Would we?" Pa spoke in a serious voice. "Joe, I love you, son. You could have been hurt badly. What if Mr. O’Flaherty had been ‘Texas Red’? Do you think he would have gone to prison peacefully? He could have hurt you and your brother, or worse. What would I have done if you had been killed? How would I face each day without my sons? Not only do you need to think of consequences, Joseph, you need to learn that sometimes your actions can affect others."

Joe’s eyes filled with large tears. "I’m so sorry, Pa. I really didn’t think ‘bout that. You would be sad if’n I was gone, huh?"

Pa gathered Joe into his strong arms. "Of course, I would, Joseph."

Joe’s voice filled with remorse. "I’m so sorry. . .I’ll try to think next time, Pa."

"Joe, as much as I hate punishing you and your brother, I do it because I love you both. You do understand why you are being punished?" Pa held Joe so he was now looking at his son in the eye.

Joe nodded. "Yes, Pa. I understand. I’m real sorry, Pa."

Joe closed his eyes when Pa lifted the belt from the worktable. Thoughts of what could have happened filled the boys mind, but only for a moment. When Pa’s belt made contact with his backside, the boy’s thought shifted to more important matters.

 

It was several days before Joe and Hoss were allowed to go to town. When Pa finally said they could go, they had to go with him.

Pa pulled the wagon to a stop in front of the Trading Post. Just as the boys were getting ready to jump from the back of the wagon, a large piece of paper blew right into Joe’s face.

Hoss chuckled. "Where’d that come from?"

Joe pulled the flyer from his face. "I don’t know." He turned the paper around so he could read what it said.

"What is it, Joseph?" Ben asked, as he set the brake.

"Gosh, Pa, it’s a wanted poster." Joe look up at Hoss. "It says that a man named ‘One Eyed Jack’ is wanted for murder. Hoss? The reward is one thousand dollars."

"Really, where is he headed? Does it say?" Hoss snatched the poster out of his brother’s hand.

Pa frowned at the pair. He reached back and took the paper from his middle son. "Don’t you two even think about it." He tore the paper into a bunch of small pieces. "I would have hoped that you two learned your lesson from your last experience."

Joe absently rubbed his backside. "But one thousand dollars, Pa."

Pa hopped from the wagon seat. He walked to the back and lifted his youngest over the side. He placed Joe on the ground and gave him a swat as he pushed Joe to the open entryway. "I don’t care if it’s a million dollars, son."

Joe grinned. "What if it was two million?" Joe giggled at the look on his father’s face. He turned and ran inside leaving his father and Hoss standing on the sidewalk.

"Mrs. Orowitz, how much candy could I buy with a thousand dollars!?" Joe yelled, as he entered the store. "I think I might have seen a man on a wanted poster. . ."

The End