Torie's Game

By Hope

 

A special thank you goes out to that sweet man, David Dortort, who created those wonderful Cartwrights for us. As always thanks to Matt, Danny, Drew, and Jared for their terrific portrayals of the younger Cartwrights which I try to capture in my tales.

Thanks to my pal Kierin, for posting this on her site.

Reminder: I did a story a few months ago (The She Devil) where I brought Adam back from college, the family built the two-story house Bonanza fans are familiar with, and Adam got his other horse, Sport. Just wanted to mention that before you start reading this one in case you think this is a Bonanza and not a Ponderosa story.

The usual disclaimers apply. Rated PG-17.

Hope

 

 

Adam Cartwright sat atop his horse, Sport, and looked ahead at the large herd grazing on the north range. The spring thaw had revealed an ample supply of grass and the herd had been moved earlier in the day to this area. Winter's chill remained in the air and Adam flipped his coat collar up to ease the cold wind piercing his neck. He rubbed his gloved hands together to generate a little warmth then took hold of the reins and urged his horse on.

************

Adam bedded Sport down in the barn a little more hurriedly than he normally would. He was anxious to shake the cold off and stand in front of a roaring fire. Walking with brisk steps he reached the front door of the house and went in, removing his hat and tossing it on the dresser by the front door, then proceeded to take off his coat. His father was coming from his study at the time.

"Adam. The herd settled?"

Adam moved over to the fireplace and held out his hands to warm them as he looked back at his father and responded, "Yes. That grass should hold them for several weeks."

"Good." Ben came over by him and stoked the fire.

Adam glanced over toward the dining area and noted that the table was set for a formal dinner. "Where are Hoss and Joe?"

"I expect them anytime. The stage was due in at 3."

"I better go wash up then."

"Yes. Our guest should be here shortly."

Adam nodded then headed up the stairs.

************

A half hour later, Little Joe and Hoss came inside the house carrying a number of valises of various sizes. Behind them followed a well-dressed man about Ben's age. Ben set his coffee cup down, rose from his red chair, and came over to greet him. "Mark! How wonderful to see you! How was your trip?"

Little Joe and Hoss set the valises to the side and let the man walk past them. He met Ben halfway and extended his hand, smiling warmly.

"Fine. Just fine."

As Joe and Hoss removed their coats and hats, Ben shook Mark's hand, took his hat and coat, then began leading him into the main room. His guest halted and looked back toward the door as Hoss and Joe looked that way, too. The man said, "Torie?" as Ben watched, puzzled. After a moment, a woman appeared at the door, smiling easily and looking ravishing. She had shiny auburn hair pulled back and up, was wearing a lovely peach dress with matching jacket and hat, and appeared to be in her early-to-mid twenties. "It's just beautiful, Mark!" she exclaimed. The man came over to her and, with his hand on his arm, led her over to Ben. "Ben, this is Victoria, my wife. She was just admiring the view."

Ben's sons watched their father, half-expecting his confused look. They, too, had been surprised when first introduced to the couple in town. Ben stammered, "Uh, it's good to meet you, Mrs. Dorsett." He obviously hadn't been expecting another guest.

The woman extended her hand toward Ben and said easily, "Torie, please? And may I call you Ben?"

"Of course." Ben recovered enough to ask, "Mark, why in the world didn't you tell me you got married?"

Dorsett chuckled. "I wanted it to be a surprise." He grinned as he added, "And it was, wasn't it?"

Ben chuckled also. "It certainly was." He smiled at the couple. "But a very nice surprise."

They returned his smile and Mrs. Dorsett responded, "Why thank you, Ben. We hoped you'd see it that way."

"Of course." He looked to his sons. "Boys, please take the luggage upstairs to the guest room and tell Adam that Mark and his wife have arrived."

Little Joe grabbed the smallest valise and answered, "Sure, Pa."

Hapless Hoss was left to tote all the rest of the luggage. Pursing his lips, he mumbled, "Sure, Pa," and, fumbling with his load, followed Little Joe upstairs with a glare in Joe's direction.

Ben called out to them, "And get cleaned up for supper." He looked to his guests. "You both must be tired after that long trip. Perhaps you'd like to wash up and rest a while before dinner?"

Victoria had her hand on her husband's arm as she responded, "Oh, that would be lovely."

"Yes, Ben," her husband added. "We'd appreciate that."

"Then let me show you to your room." Ben led the couple upstairs.

************

Adam came downstairs about fifteen minutes later. He had changed and put on a white shirt, string tie, and black slacks. Little Joe and Hoss came barreling down the stairs shortly thereafter, dressed in white shirts, string ties, and dark slacks also. Ben was still upstairs getting dressed for dinner.

Hoss grabbed an apple from the bowl on the coffee table. "Wait till you see Mrs. Dorsett, Adam. She sher is purty." He polished the apple on his sleeve.

Adam took his blue chair and picked up a book he'd begun reading the other night. "Uh huh."

Joe added with a sly grin, "You see how young she was, Hoss?"

Hoss sat on the settee as he bit into the apple. "Yeah."

"And how old he is?" Joe couldn't resist mentioning.

"That'll be enough of that, young man," his father warned as he came down the stairs.

Little Joe grimaced at being caught gossiping like one of the town biddies. "Yes, Pa."

Ben walked over to his sons. "I want no more of that kind of talk. Do you hear me?"

Little Joe nodded contritely, as did Hoss. Adam immersed himself in his book.

Hop Sing appeared from the kitchen. "Mr. Cartwright. When dinner to be served?"

Ben looked his way. "Soon, Hop Sing. We're waiting for our guests."

"No need to wait any longer," Mr. Dorsett announced as he and his wife started down the stairs. Ben and Little Joe were already standing and Hoss and Adam rose as they heard Mr. Dorsett.

The Dorsetts had taken time to change and wash the trail dust off. Victoria wore a lovely pink gown and her husband had on a dark suit.

Adam's eyes narrowed slightly as he met the couple. Little Joe hadn't been wrong to take note of the difference in the couple's age as it was obvious. Shaking hands with the man, Adam made the customary welcome and then took Mrs. Dorsett's hand. "Mrs. Dorsett."

"Torie, please, Adam. Mrs. Dorsett is so formal."

Adam smiled graciously and noted that the woman held his hand a bit longer than was necessary. No one else seemed to notice. She smiled sweetly then released his hand and followed her husband over toward the dinner table as Ben directed. The others followed also, though Adam tarried a moment before joining them as an uneasiness settled over him.

Hop Sing proceeded to bring out the different courses as topics of discussion around the table varied. There was talk of Mr. Dorsett's shipping business out in San Francisco, the Dorsetts' trip, details of how Ben and Mr. Dorsett had met several years ago, and amusing tales of Ben trying to raise three sons without a wife. Also discussed were Adam's college years, the stallion Little Joe was in the process of breaking for a friend, Hoss's love for animals, and Hop Sing's cooking expertise.

After dinner ended and everyone was quite full, Hoss and Little Joe excused themselves to check on the stallion, Ben and Mr. Dorsett proceeded to set the chess set up, and Mrs. Dorsett requested that Adam accompany her outside for a walk. Adam noted that her husband didn't appear to mind the request and seemed more interested in besting Ben at chess. Though uncomfortable, Adam conceded to Mrs. Dorsett's wishes and, once they grabbed their coats, the two headed outside in the moonlight.

Adam halted as they reached the porch. "Care to sit down?" He'd purposely not taken her further out for a walk and she seemed mildly surprised, yet sat down as Adam indicated a chair next to a wooden table.

"Thank you, Adam."

Adam took another chair and leaned back a little, waiting for her to initiate conversation.

Torie inhaled deeply. "Ahhh. The air is so fresh out here."

Adam gave a noncommittal, "Uh huh."

She grinned at him. "Not much for idle conversation?"

"I suppose."

The porch lamps shown brightly enough so they could see each other fairly well. She scrutinized him then said easily, "You don't approve of me, do you, Adam?"

"I don't know you, Mrs. Dorsett."

"Torie, remember?" She eyed him. "You think perhaps I’m too young for my husband?"

"That's not my call." He could smell her rose water perfume and noticed how soft and pretty her features looked in the moonlight.

She got up to wander the porch area near Adam's chair. "Most people are a bit shocked by us," she noted, amused.

He asked casually, "Does it bother you?"

She shrugged then took a step or two a little closer to his chair. "No. Not really."

Adam was aware of her nearness. He tensed slightly in his chair.

Torie came closer, subtly. She was close enough to absently run her hand over the top rung of his chair as she said softly, "We have good marriage, my husband and I."

Adam sat up just a little straighter as Victoria walked slowly around behind him to the other side of his chair. "Oh?"

"Yes. He and I have an understanding."

Her fragrance filled his senses and he attempted to block it out. "What sort of understanding?"

She said softly, "I accompany him on his trips, entertain his guests, and play my role as his wife …"

Adam waited, sensing a confession he wasn't sure he wanted to hear. "And?"

She leaned down toward him and whispered, "And love whom I please."

Adam had lowered his guard for a just a moment as Victoria's beauty and sweet perfume were intoxicating, and in that moment her lips found and met his passionately. Almost immediately coming to his senses, Adam pulled back and got up from his chair, moving a short distance way and wearing a surprised look.

She laughed lightly and cooed softly, "Goodnight, Adam," leaving the bewildered Adam standing there.

************

He lay awake in the darkness that night trying hard to forget, but her forbidden kiss had left a memorable impression. He finally sat up and whispered harshly, "No!"

Getting up he moved over to the window and looked out. The night chill forced Adam to grab his robe. He gazed out at the moon and stars as he tried to clear his senses. He'd been taken in before - by another beautiful woman and in another ill-advised relationship. In the end that relationship had almost cost him his life. Adam thought he'd learned his lesson that time. Yet temptation now teased him once again.

This time, he vowed not to yield to it.

************

Adam dressed early and left before the rest of the family and their guests came downstairs the next morning. His logical mind told him to put as much distance between Victoria and himself as possible and he accomplished that by spending the day in town. He'd left word with Hop Sing that he had some business to attend to in town so his father wouldn't be worried and spent the day visiting friends and talking with other cattlemen and bankers about different issues and concerns. He delayed his return home as long as possible and rode up to the barn an hour after the sun had set.

The family and Dorsetts heard the front door open and close, and Ben called out, "Adam?"

Adam finished removing his hat and coat and, after a slight hesitation, forced a smile and came into the dining room. The others were finishing dinner as he answered, "Hello."

Victoria smiled sweetly at him, and Mr. Dorsett said, "We missed you today, Adam."

Adam murmured an excuse about having had some business to attend to, then asked, "Have a good dinner?"

Hoss responded, "Sure did. Ya missed a great one, Adam."

"Sorry."

He took a step to leave but Victoria halted him with an easy, "Please don't go, Adam. Surely you can spare us a few moments?"

Ben piped up, "Yes, of course he can. Adam, have a seat." Ben looked at his son and waited for him to comply.

Adam glanced around the room as the others waited also, and Little Joe chimed in, "Yeah. Have some dessert, brother."

Adam took his seat at the end of the table and muttered, "I'll just have some coffee."

Mr. Dorsett added, "Splendid. Adam, your father says you may be visiting San Francisco in a few months. I'd like to hear the details and perhaps you can come visit us."

Adam took note of the subtle gleam in Victoria's eyes, as he responded vaguely to Mr. Dorsett. He thought to himself wryly that perhaps a trip was in order, though one in another direction - and soon.

Once dinner was finished, Ben poured Mr. Dorsett a brandy, and Hoss and Joe broke out the checkerboard. After a look Victoria's way, Adam muttered an excuse of wanting to catch up on some reading and headed upstairs. Victoria wrapped her hand around her husband's arm as he and Ben shared a brandy and as she watched Adam ascend the stairs.

************

The next day, Adam once again left early, this time heading out to check on the men at the logging camp. It was warmer today and Adam kept his coat tied to the back of his saddle as he rode along.

He'd been at the camp for several hours when he saw Hoss riding up with Victoria accompanying him. A frown marred Adam's face as he watched them dismount and come over his way.

"Hi ya, Adam," Hoss greeted pleasantly. "Mrs. Dorsett asked me ta bring her up here so she could see the lumber camp.

Adam didn't comment.

Victoria looked around and told Hoss, "It's amazing, Hoss. So many trees to cut down. It must be terribly hard work."

Hoss shrugged, "Aw, it ain't nuthin'. Ya git used to it."

She smiled at him then looked to Adam. "Adam, Hoss told me he needed to get back to the ranch to help Little Joe with the stallion, and I was wondering if you could spare some time to show me around the Ponderosa?" She added, "My husband and your father thought it would be a good idea while they went to town."

Adam wasn't fooled. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Dorsett. I'm …"

"Aw, come on, Adam," Hoss put in. "This purty lady ain't gonna be here long and seems ya kin take some time ta show her around."

Adam shot Hoss an irritated glance while Victoria smiled demurely. Trapped, Adam finally nodded. "All right." He headed over to the horses.

Hoss and Mrs. Dorsett followed and Victoria told Hoss, "Thank you for bringing me out here, Hoss."

"Don't mention it, Ma'am."

The three mounted up. Hoss turned his horse for home and Adam reluctantly turned his horse another way as Victoria followed.

************

They gazed out over Lake Tahoe from a small hill. Victoria's eyes scanned the area then looked over at Adam. "Amazing." The way she said it made it unclear if she was referring to the view or to her riding companion.

Adam determinedly avoided looking her way as temptation again teased his thoughts. He told her, "You're wasting your time, Mrs. Dorsett."

She glanced over at him and asked innocently. "How's that?"

"I'm not interested in you."

She patted her horse's neck as she replied, "Oh, I think you are. That kiss last night …"

Adam glared at her. "What kind of woman are you?"

She stifled a giggle and dismounted. Holding the reins, she told him, "A desirable one."

Adam stayed mounted. "There's another term I can think of."

She came around to the other side of her horse, nearer to Adam. "Oh, really?" she teased.

Adam looked off over the lake. "Go back to your husband, Mrs. Dorsett."

"Are you afraid of me, Adam?"

Adam snorted slightly.

"Is that why you won't even get off your horse?"

"I don't play these games."

Victoria tied her horse's reins to a bush and strolled over to sit on a patch of grass. "I'm not interested in games either, Adam. I'd just like to take in some of your beautiful country for a while." She plucked a daisy and admired it.

Adam knew he couldn't leave her way out here all alone. He was stuck for the time being unless he forced her up on her horse.

She glanced around and took in a long, deep breath, let it out slowly, then said wistfully, "Oh, I could stay here all day."

Disgusted, Adam took the hint. She wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. He shook his head, dismounted, and stood next to his horse, tying the reins to another bush but not heading over toward Victoria.

"Oh, Adam. Please come and sit down for a few minutes?"

Pursing his lips, Adam stood there debating what he should do. At last, he went over and stood nearby. "I'd rather stand."

She reached up to pull a long pin from her hair and let her auburn hair cascade down her neck and shoulders. Adam looked away, perturbed. She grinned. "What are you afraid of?"

"I told you I don't play these games."

"Adam Cartwright - always in control, right?"

"You’re a married woman."

"So?"

"Go back to your husband, Mrs. Dorsett"

"Perhaps I should explain how it is with my husband and me. We're married for appearances only, Adam. He knows I don't love him."

Adam again looked off. "Why are you telling me?"

"Because I find you intriguing. And exciting."

Adam began to take a step away. "I have work to do. You can stay here if you like …"

She rose also and came over to him. Again, her sweet fragrance had begun to overpower him. And the way the sunlight caught her hair… He began to walk toward the horses but she got in front of him. "Adam?"

He halted but refused to look at her directly.

She placed a hand on his arm. "Adam, please don't go yet."

Adam retorted sharply, "Why not?"

"Please?"

"I told you I have work to do."

She drew closer to him, her lips parting slightly, and eased her hand up to his neck. "Please stay?"

He withdrew his hand. "No."

She whispered as her mouth neared his, "Yes."

An instant before her moist, parted lips met his, he fought the overpowering urge to respond and instead grabbed her arms, keeping her at bay. "I said no!"

"You want me, Adam," she whispered.

"Go back to your husband."

"I see it in your eyes."

"You're wrong." Adam released her and resumed walking toward the horses. She matched his pace and once again halted his momentum by getting in his path. Her sweet delicate scent hung in the air, penetrating his soul.

She put her hands on either side of his face and whispered, "Love me."

Adam grabbed her wrists and responded adamantly, "I could never love someone like you!" A cold look radiated from his eyes as he released her.

Fury suddenly marred her face and she swung out at him. Her nails caught Adam on the side of the face, drawing blood.

Adam swiped a hand across his face, looked at the blood now staining the hand, and walked on.

She cried, "You'll be sorry!"

Adam ignored her and retrieved the reins to his horse. Victoria fumed as she stood there and as she watched him mount up. But just as quickly as her anger had arisen, it now seemed to vanish as her mouth formed a slight grin. She tore her dress at the shoulder. Adam turned back to look at Victoria when he heard the fabric tearing. She smiled innocently and used her hand to muss her hair. Then she headed to her horse.

Concerned, Adam waited for her to say something but she mounted up and rode off. Adam turned his horse and quickly followed after her.

************

Adam had caught up with Victoria and he directed her back to the Ponderosa. When the ranch house at last came into view in the distance, Victoria tore off ahead of Adam and, though suspicious, he continued on at his same pace.

As Adam rode up to the house, he found Victoria in her husband's arms and sobbing and his family with anxious looks on their faces. When Mrs. Dorsett saw Adam, her voice managed to break as she cried, "Keep him away!"

Mr. Dorsett glared at Adam and kept a strong, protective arm around his young wife. "Don't you come near her!"

Adam looked to his family.

Ben was at a loss after having just heard what Mrs. Dorsett relayed to them. He attempted a calm, even tone as he suggested, "Now, Mark, let's go inside and discuss this rationally."

"Rationally!" Mr. Dorsett spat. "Your son tried to have his way with my wife and you want me to be rational!"

Hoss immediately spoke up. "Adam wouldn't do nuthin like that!"

"How do you explain my wife's appearance?" Dorsett watched Adam as he dismounted and it was then that Dorsett noted the scratches. "Look at his face!"

Adam's father and brothers saw the wounds and were hard-pressed to comprehend what had happened given the evidence. Ben came over to him. "Adam?"

Adam stood there and saw the slightest grin Victoria attempted to hide as she clung to her husband. "Pa, it wasn't like that," he said solemnly.

"I want him arrested!" Dorsett demanded.

Ben immediately spoke up. "Now, Mark …"

"No! I demand you get the sheriff!"

His wife sniffled.

Ben looked to Adam. He finally let out a long breath and told his other sons, "Get the buckboard ready, boys. Hoss, you'll take the Dorsetts to town and get them a room at the hotel."

Dorsett remained furious. "Yes. Then I'll notify the sheriff!"

"I wish you wouldn't, Mark. Let's go inside and try to piece together what happened."

Victoria managed, "Your son knows what happened." The tears once again began to flow. "Oh, Mark, take me away from here!"

Mr. Dorsett clung more fiercely to her. "Come on, darling. Let's go pack our things." He once more glared Adam's way then took his wife inside.

Ben saw that Hoss and Joe were still standing there. He again asked them to get the buckboard ready and this time his two youngest sons headed toward the barn.

Ben turned to Adam. "What happened?"

Adam took a moment to collect himself and to mentally put the events in some kind of order to explain them. "Pa, the other night when she and I went for a walk, I didn't take her farther than the porch. I didn't feel comfortable being alone with her."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just had an uneasy feeling about her. Turns out my feeling was right."

"How so?"

"That night, she kissed me."

Ben's brow furrowed. "She kissed you?"

"Yes. But I pulled away." Puzzlement appeared on his face as he added, "Then she laughed, said goodnight, and went inside."

"You didn't instigate it?"

Adam was adamant. "No! I did nothing to encourage her! That's why I spent the next day in town. And that's why I headed up to my room that night instead staying downstairs with all of you. I wanted to keep away from her."

"That's why you went to the lumber camp, too, right?"

Adam nodded. "But then Hoss showed up with her and I was trapped into showing her around the Ponderosa."

Ben remembered he and Dorsett had encouraged the sightseeing trip. "I'm sorry, Adam. I had no idea."

Adam went on. "We stopped so she could see the lake and got off the horses for a while. She told me her marriage was for appearances only and that she and her husband didn't love each other. Then she tried to get me to …" Adam shrugged without finishing his statement.

"What happened?"

"I refused and she got angry and scratched me. Then, when I headed to my horse and mounted up, I heard her tearing her dress and saw her muss her hair. I didn't know what she was up to until we got back here."

Father and son were standing next to Adam's horse and Ben absently patted Sport on the side of its neck as he took this information in.

Remembering another time when he had acted unwisely in a similar situation, Adam scrutinized his father as he asked, "Do you believe me, Pa?"

Ben was also recalling that time as he now considered his son. Yes, Adam had made some foolish mistakes back then but hopefully he'd learned from them. Now, noting the apprehension in Adam's eyes, Ben at last nodded. "I believe you, Son."

Adam expelled a breath. "Well, it's her word against mine," he noted drolly. "And who do you think they'll believe?"

Ben knew the answer to that as well as Adam. "I'll follow them into town and go right to Roy to explain. You better wait here."

Adam nodded. He still had Sport's reins in his hands and grabbed Victoria's horse's reins from the hitching post.

Ben gripped his arm and told him determinedly, "Don't worry."

Adam knew the odds were against him and gave a half-laugh.

They looked up to see Hoss and Little Joe coming from the barn with the buckboard. Ben called out, "Saddle my horse, Joe. I'm going to town."

Little Joe shrugged and went back inside as Hoss brought the buckboard over. Hoss scrutinized his eldest brother. "What happened out there, Adam?"

Ben intervened. "I'll fill you in later, Hoss."

Curious, Hoss nonetheless agreed to wait. He saw the Dorsetts coming out of the house and carrying some of their luggage.

Mr. Dorsett asked Hoss, "Please get our other things."

Hoss shrugged, "All right," and went inside.

Dorsett made sure he kept his wife a good distance away from Adam as he loaded the buckboard.

Ben came over to him. "I'm sorry you have to leave, Mark."

Dorsett kept to his task as he muttered, "I'm sorry, too. Sorry that we ever came to this place!" His wife dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief.

Ben went back over to Adam and watched Dorsett as he finished securing the valises that Hoss was bringing out. Then Hoss climbed aboard the buckboard and Mr. and Mrs. Dorsett took the seat behind him. Hoss turned the team and headed off toward town as Adam and Ben watched them go.

Ben put an arm around Adam's shoulders as Little Joe came out with Ben's horse, Buck, all saddled. "We'll clear this up, Adam."

Adam nodded once more. Ben smiled encouragingly, took the reins to his horse, mounted, and rode off toward town.

Little Joe came over to his brother. "Adam, what happened?"

Adam had watched his father ride off and remained looking in that direction as, after a moment, he answered, "Eve offered from the tree but this time I resisted." He turned to Joe. "And now there'll be hell to pay."

Confused, Little Joe looked at him but Adam merely shook his head and began leading Sport and the other horse to the barn.

************

Hoss delivered the Dorsetts to the hotel and helped them bring in their luggage then headed over to the sheriff's office to join his father. He heard loud voices coming from inside and recognized both of them.

"Roy, you know Adam and you know he would never do such a thing!"

"Now, calm down, Ben."

"Calm down? How can I calm down when you say you may have to arrest my son?!"

Sheriff Roy Coffee spread his hands. "I'll jus' be doin' my job, Ben."

"Doing your job!" Ben huffed.

Hoss entered at his own risk.

Roy glanced up at him. "'Lo, Hoss."

"Hey, Roy."

Ben was almost in Roy's face. "I'm telling you Adam is innocent!"

"That may be, Ben. But ya know I have ta talk ta him and talk ta Mrs. Dorsett."

Hoss stayed by the door, keeping well out of his father's path and wrath.

"Then talk to them. But don't arrest Adam!"

Roy snorted and went to plop down in his chair behind his desk. "I'll do whatever I think is necessary."

Ben again huffed but otherwise didn't respond.

The door opened and Mr. Dorsett stormed in, glanced around at those already in the office, then proceeded over to the sheriff. "Sheriff, my wife's been assaulted! I want Adam Cartwright arrested!"

Roy rose from his chair. "Now jus' wait a minute, Mr. Dorsett. I need to know all the facts first."

Dorsett pointed an accusatory finger in Ben's direction. "His son tried to take advantage of my wife! She came back nearly hysterical. Her dress was torn, and Adam Cartwright had scratches on his face from where she tried to fight back!"

"Did you give Adam a chance to explain?"

"A chance to explain! Sheriff, it was obvious what happened!"

Roy's tone was serious as he explained, "Mebbe so. But in this country a man's innocent until proven guilty."

"He's guilty all right. I just told you the proof."

Ben started toward him but Hoss grabbed his arm and shook his head. Ben held back, momentarily, though shot Hoss an irritated look.

"Mr. Dorsett," the sheriff said calmly. "I've known the Cartwrights, including Adam, for many years. They've always been upstanding, decent people. And it jus' don't seem possible what yer accusin' Adam of."

"Are you saying my wife's lying?" Dorsett demanded.

Roy clasped his hands together. "I'm not sayin' any such thing. I'm sayin' I need to do an investigation. Then, after all the facts are in …"

"And while you're taking your sweet time, this man is walking around free."

"What would you have me do?"

"Arrest him while you do your investigation!"

"No!" Ben cut in.

Roy held a hand out to keep him still then turned back to Mr. Dorsett. "I can't arrest Adam until I have sufficient proof ta bring him in."

"This is ridiculous!" Dorsett ranted. "My wife's been assaulted and he was the only one who was with her!"

Ben again interjected. "Perhaps your wife was to blame."

Dorsett turned on him. "How dare you!"

Roy hurried over and got between them. "Now that's enough! I want ya both ta go and get a good night's sleep. Mr. Dorsett, I'll talk ta your wife in the mornin'." He looked to Ben. "Ben, I'll be out ta see Adam in the mornin', too."

Ben nodded though still seething at Dorsett. Hoss kept an eye on his father, ready to intervene if necessary.

Dorsett just stood there and glared at the others until Roy finally said, "Goodnight, Mr. Dorsett."

With one last look of hostility, Dorsett left the office.

Roy let out a long breath then placed his hand on Ben's shoulder. "Ben, go home. There's nuthin' you can do tonight."

"Roy's right, Pa," Hoss advised. "'Sides, I think Adam needs us."

Ben realized Hoss was probably right. "All right." Uneasy leaving things as they were, Ben knew he had no choice. He muttered, "Goodbye, Roy," and headed out.

Roy responded, "Bye, Ben. Hoss."

Hoss followed his father out after an apprehensive glance back toward the sheriff. "See ya, Roy."

************

The following morning found Sheriff Coffee's horse tethered to the hitching post outside the Cartwrights' home. Inside, bad news awaited the Cartwrights.

"I'm sorry, Adam, but I’m gonna have ta take ya in." Sheriff Coffee rose from the settee as Ben Cartwright jumped up from his red chair. "Now, wait just a min …!"

"It's all right, Pa." Adam rose from the blue chair. "I'll go with him."

"That's right sensible, Adam," the sheriff told him. "I'm sorry I hafta do this but the evidence …"

"I understand." Adam walked over to retrieve his hat and coat.

His father followed him over and grabbed his hat and coat also. "I'm going with you."

Roy came over to the door. "Suit yerself, Ben."

Ben shot him an irritated glance then looked to Adam. "I'll get in touch with Tom Lassiter."

Adam nodded. Lassiter was the Cartwrights' attorney.

The three men went outside just as Little Joe and Hoss rode up. "What's going on?" Joe asked.

Adam walked over to Sport who was tethered to the corral and he didn't respond. Buck was at the hitching post next to Roy's horse. Ben also didn't answer so the sheriff spoke up. "I'm sorry ta tell you boys but I hafta take Adam in."

Both younger brothers immediately dismounted and came over toward the sheriff.

"Roy, ya know Adam couldn'a done what that girl accused him of!" Hoss insisted.

Joe quickly jumped to Adam's defense, too. "Hoss is right, Roy!"

The sheriff mounted up as Ben and Adam did likewise. "I'm jus' doin' my job." Roy turned his horse toward the road and followed Adam as Adam headed Sport in the direction of town. Ben stayed behind long enough to tell his other sons, "Stay here."

"But …" Little Joe began.

Ben repeated more forcefully, "Stay here. I'll get word to you if I need you." He spurred his horse after Adam and Coffee.

Little Joe and Hoss watched solemnly as their father rode out of sight.

************

The cell was musty and cold. A worn bunk and tattered blanket were the only comforts the cell had to offer. Adam heard the door clank shut and threw his hat on the bunk. Then he turned to face his father through the bars. "All the comforts of home," he quipped.

Ben had found over the years that Adam's wry sense of humor was his way of deflecting tension away from the family. Ben smiled, grateful for his son's concern. "Don't worry, Adam. I'll get you out of here."

"Try to make it before dinner, huh? The food here leaves something to be desired. Or so I’m told."

Ben half-laughed. "I'll see what I can do." With a last glance toward his son, Ben turned to leave.

Adam watched his father go, then settled resignedly on the bunk.

************

"Well, Tom?" Ben sat in front of the massive, oak desk as Tom Lassiter sat behind it, puffing on a pipe. Lassiter was good-looking, had blond wavy hair, displayed an air of confidence about himself, and was several years younger than Ben,

"Hmmm. Doesn't look good, Ben."

"My son is innocent."

"Then how do you explain the scratches on his face?"

Ben slammed his fist down on the desk. "I just told you how it happened!"

"Calm down."

"Calm down?!" Ben ranted.

Lassiter had known Ben Cartwright for a few years and had seen him this riled once or twice before. He leaned back, scrutinizing his client. "Ben, you say this was a beautiful young wife Adam's accused of assaulting?"

Ben nodded once.

"And her dress was torn?"

"Yes, but …"

"Look at it from a jury's standpoint, Ben. Whether Adam's guilty or innocent, the jury's going to believe the girl."

Ben thought that over and let out a disgusted sigh.

"You also have to realize that the town's not going to take too kindly to this sort of thing happening."

"What does that mean?"

Lassiter calmly explained, "It means that Adam could be in danger. Especially if some of our local, upstanding citizens get liquored up one night."

Ben leaned in closer toward him and said determinedly, "We've got to clear him, Tom. Right away!"

Lassiter tapped out his pipe. "I agree. Or perhaps settle the matter privately."

"Settle?"

The lawyer delayed answering for a few moments as he eyed his client. "I could maybe approach Dorsett. See how he'd feel about some kind of financial settlement - to make this thing go away."

"A bribe?

"You could call it that, if you wish. At least I could feel him out about it."

Ben sat back in his chair. The thought was extremely distasteful. "I don't like it."

"Not even if it helps clear Adam's name?"

Ben stewed the matter over. Lassiter watched him, waiting patiently for his answer. "Ben, before you make a decision, I think you need to realize that Dorsett is a successful man. I know of his shipping business. He can use his resources to have Adam's background checked out."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Ben spat.

"We've known each other for a while and I think I can be forthright with you, eh?"

Ben nodded hesitantly.

"Wasn't there another girl when Adam first returned from college whom your son almost suddenly wed?"

The matter was still fresh in Ben's mind though it had been two years ago. "Yes, but what does that have to do with this?"

"Town gossip. I recall the engagement ended just as suddenly and that the girl and her father left abruptly to return to Boston. But later on she and her new fiancé went after Adam and the girl ended up getting killed."

The painful details came back to taunt Ben. "Your point?"

"A good prosecutor could make much of those circumstances. And I think that might be a time in Adam's life he'd rather forget. Correct?"

Ben didn't answer. Of course Lassiter was right. Adam had admittedly made mistakes getting involved with the wrong woman back then but what young man could've resisted her fatal charms?

A headache was brewing around Ben's temple and he winced slightly as he asked, "So your best advice is to settle this quietly?"

Lassiter rested his head lightly against his right hand and eventually nodded. "I think that would be wise."

Ben rubbed his hand over his chin then through his hair. He detested the thought of paying a bribe, but if it would protect Adam …

"Well, Ben?"

With a heavy sigh, Ben answered, "All right. Approach him about it. Then get back to me."

Lassiter began to rise. "I'll take care of it."

"One thing, Tom."

The lawyer looked questioning at him.

Ben finished with, "Adam's not to know."

Lassiter extended his hand toward his client. "I agree."

Ben rose but hesitated before shaking the man's hand as if still in a quandary over the matter. At last he returned the handshake, grabbed his hat, and left.

Lassiter watched as the door closed behind Ben then headed to the door also.

************

The figure was staggering - a hundred thousand dollars to buy Adam's freedom. Ben had to sit down at hearing the news.

Lassiter watched his client sink into his chair then Lassiter decided to sit also, taking a place on the settee. "I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you, Ben."

"It's absurd!"

"Dorsett was adamant - one hundred thousand or Adam goes to prison."

The two men were alone at the ranch. Ben got up to pour some whiskey, forgetting to offer some to his guest. He downed a shot then poured another.

"Ben?"

"A hundred thousand!" Ben shook his head in wonderment.

"It's a tough decision, I know."

"I'd do anything to get Adam out. He's innocent. But one hundred thousand dollars? I won't be able to hide that sort of loss from Adam."

"Ben, Adam's a realistic, reasonable man. He'll understand you had no choice."

"No. He wouldn't want me to do it. Not even for his freedom."

Lassiter got up and helped himself to a drink. "Then you've a choice to make, Ben. Give them the money or risk Adam going to prison. Either way the trial turns out, his reputation will be ruined. And if he's convicted, he could be put away for years."

Ben downed another shot.

Lassiter again waited for answer. "Well?"

"Dorsett was supposed to be a friend."

"I guess where his wife is concerned no one else matters."

"But she's the cause. And who knows how many other men she's been involved with?"

"Some men have blinders on when a beautiful young wife is concerned."

Ben struck his fist on the chair.

"Perhaps you'd like to think about it?"

His client didn't answer.

"Ben?"

Ben closed his eyes and finally mumbled, "I'll pay it. I'll pay it! Just get Adam out."

The lawyer set his glass down and nodded. "All right. I'll make the arrangements." He walked over to retrieve his hat and then left.

Ben again struck the chair with his fist.

************

Adam stared at the peeling ceiling as he lay on the old bunk in his cell. Boredom had set in long ago. He'd been in jail for three days and, other than idle conversation and a few games of checkers with the sheriff, and several visits by his family, he was hard-pressed to find an answer to his boredom. His brothers had offered to bring him his guitar but he wasn't in the mood for playing it. He did take Little Joe and Hoss up on their offer to bring some of his books but found he was unable to concentrate with his incarceration preying on his mind.

The judge was out of town and that had delayed Adam's hearing but he wasn't complaining. He figured that would give the family more time to try and clear him. His lawyer hadn't been by to question him and prepare his case and Adam had wondered about that but Ben had assured him that things were progressing and that Lassiter had the case well under control.

Adam heard the door of the sheriff's office open but he stayed in his position on the bunk facing away from the cell door, figuring it was just another citizen with a petty complaint about a barking dog or about another brawl in the saloon. He next heard low voices but again thought the discussion was just routine sheriff business.

After a time, Adam heard footsteps and the jangling of keys. He sat up and turned to see Sheriff Coffee unlocking the door and then swinging it open.

"You're free to go, Adam."

"What?"

"You're free to go."

Puzzled, Adam looked past the sheriff and saw his father standing there. "Pa? What happened?"

Roy walked away, leaving the door open. Ben answered, "I'll tell you about it later. Let's go home."

Nonplussed, Adam nonetheless grabbed his hat and coat and walked out of the cell. "What about the charges?"

The sheriff answered him. "The charges have been dropped."

"I don't understand."

Impatiently, Ben again said, "I'll tell you about it later, Adam. Let's go."

Adam eyed Roy but the sheriff's solemn face gave no clue as to what was going on. Adam followed his father out to the hitching post where his horse was tethered next to Buck. Adam loosened Sport's reins but didn't mount up immediately. "I don't understand, Pa. How could the charges be dropped?"

Ben mounted his horse. "Later." He turned Buck toward the road and spurred him forward as Adam continued to look questioning in his direction. Obviously it was something his father wasn't willing to talk about it in town.

Adam mounted up and followed after his father.

************

Adam caught up with Ben and they rode in silence for a while. Adam glanced over at his father from time to time as they galloped along but Ben kept his eyes on the road ahead. Finally, Adam pulled up and, when he did, his father did likewise, stopping a short distance ahead.

Ben turned back in his saddle. "We need to get home."

Adam leaned his forearms across the saddle horn and asked calmly, "What happened, Pa?"

Ben hesitated momentarily then eased his horse back to his son. "Adam, Dorsett and his wife are returning to San Francisco."

"Why?"

"I had Tom Lassiter talk with them and they agreed to drop the charges."

Adam scrutinized his father, knowing right away that he was withholding something. "Why?" he asked more determinedly.

Ben's horse shifted slightly as Ben toyed with the reins in his hands. "It doesn't matter. It's all taken care of." He kicked Buck in the sides and his horse started forward once more. Adam caught up and grabbed Buck's bridle, stopping the horse as Ben shot him an irritated look.

"I want to know, Pa," Adam insisted.

"Let go of my horse, Adam."

Adam could be just as stubborn as his father and Ben knew it. Adam maintained a firm grip on Buck's bridle. "Tell me."

Ben let out a deep breath and drew his brows together as he debated whether he should. But he knew Adam would find out eventually anyway some day when he came across the shuffling of the assets in the books.

"We came to a financial arrangement."

Adam released the reins. "What?!"

"I had no choice, Adam. You were going to go to prison."

"But I didn't do anything!"

"I know. But Tom spelled out how the trial would go and told me your past could be brought up."

Adam's eyes narrowed. "What about my past?"

Ben paused before answering. "Amanda Holloway." The words caught in his throat.

Adam stared disbelievingly at his father. "Amanda? What does she have to do with this?"

Amanda Holloway was the woman who had tried to trick Adam into a marriage and take him away from his family when Adam had first returned from college in order to have him run her family's business. Adam had fallen into her trap due to his inability to resist her seductive ways. It was nearly the biggest mistake of his life. When he, with his father's help, was able to pull out of the engagement, Amanda and her father had returned to Boston, though Adam and Ben both felt then that she had given up too easily. It turned out later their concerns were valid as about a six months later Amanda returned, accompanied by a new fiancé, and out for vengeance. Adam was almost killed in the confrontation with Amanda's simple-minded yet dangerous beau, and Amanda herself was murdered when her fiancé realized he'd been used, like Adam and others before him, and he shot her in a fit of rage.

"Tom felt the prosecutor could bring up the details involving your near marriage to her and the events surrounding her death and create doubt in the jury's mind."

Adam snorted. "I don't believe this!"

Ben continued, "So, I did what I thought best to get you free."

Adam shook his head in amazement as he tried to take it all in. Ben regretted breaking the news to him but felt he had no choice.

At last Adam looked to his father and asked, "How much?"

"It doesn't matter. It's all taken care of."

But Adam wouldn't be put off. He asked once more, this time in a low, insistent tone, "How much, Pa?"

Again, Ben knew Adam would find out eventually. There was no way to hide such an amount from someone who helped Ben maintain the family's financial records. "A hundred thousand."

The news struck Adam with a force that almost knocked him from his horse. He stared disbelievingly at his father.

"Adam, it's over and done with. And it was worth every penny."

Adam didn't respond. He couldn't believe his father had done such a thing, not even for him.

Ben understood what he was feeling but there was no use dwelling over it. "Let's go home, Son." He again got Buck moving but after riding a short distance Ben turned back in his saddle and saw that Adam's horse hadn't moved. He stopped Buck. "Adam?"

Adam glanced up and saw his father waiting for him. He wanted to go tearing off after the Dorsetts but realized now wasn't the time. Mumbling, "I'm coming," Adam got Sport going and the two Cartwrights rode home the rest of the way in silence, with each man left to his thoughts.

************

Joe looked up as he was coming out of the house and turned back to shout, "Adam's home!" He hurried over to his brother and father as they reined their horses in by the corral. Hoss came hurrying out of the house and joined them.

"Adam! You're free!" Hoss exclaimed, clapping him on the back.

Adam was subdued, still reeling from the details of his release, and merely nodded. Ben stood by, also subdued. He hadn't told the other boys the circumstances either.

Jubilant, Little Joe asked, "What happened?"

Ben glanced over at Adam and then told Joe simply, "The charges were dropped." He and Adam began walking toward the house.

"Huh?" Hoss had the same puzzled look on his face as Little Joe did. They hurried to catch up with the others and followed them inside.

Adam and his father left their hats and coats by the front door and came further into the room. They knew Hoss and Joe's answers couldn't be put off for long. Adam took his blue chair and Ben collapsed into his red one.

Little Joe looked to Adam then to his father. "Are you gonna tell us what happened?"

Before answering, Ben again looked over at Adam first. Adam at last nodded slightly and Ben relayed the details. "The Dorsetts agreed to a settlement."

Puzzled, Hoss asked, "What's that mean, Pa?"

"It means they agreed to drop the charges in exchange for a certain amount of money."

Concerned, Joe piped up, "How much?"

"That doesn't matter. Your brother is out of jail and it's all over."

Hoss scratched at his head. "Pa? How come ya paid them the money if Adam is innocent?"

Adam concentrated on flicking some stray hairs from the arm of his chair as his brothers waited for their father's response.

Ben got up and absently stoked the fire going in the hearth. "Our lawyer recommended it and I agreed because there was a strong chance that, even though Adam is innocent, the jury could still have found him guilty."

Hoss plopped on the settee. "But that don't seem right."

"Yeah," Little Joe agreed then suggested, "Maybe we can get the money back, Pa."

Ben turned on them. "I said it's over! I don't want to talk about it anymore!" The words were out of his mouth before he knew it and he now saw the hurt expressions on Joe and Hoss's faces and Adam's reserved look. Letting out a long sigh, Ben softened his tone and added, "Boys, there are some things in life you won't agree with but that have to be done. This was one of those things."

His sons didn't respond, but considered his words.

The weariness and tension from the past several days had caught up with him. Ben told his boys, "I'm going upstairs. I'll be down for dinner."

The boys all watched as Ben headed upstairs a little slower than normal. The strain of this ordeal was evident. Once their father was out of sight, Joe and Hoss came over to their eldest brother.

Adam leaned back against his chair and looked at them, saying quietly, "I'm sorry all this happened."

Hoss put a hand on the back of the chair. "Weren't yer fault, Adam. That woman …"

Joe concurred with a nod.

Adam spoke as if thinking out loud, "But they're not getting away with this."

Both brothers' attentions perked up. "What are you gonna do?" Little Joe asked.

"I'm going after them."

A slight grin formed on Joe's face and his eyes lit up while Hoss's brows drew together.

Adam looked to them. "Will you cover for me with Pa?"

"We're goin' with you!" Little Joe told him eagerly.

Hoss echoed that sentiment. "That's right."

"No. I have to do this - alone."

Joe began, "But …"

"Please, Joe. Hoss. I owe it to Pa and I owe it to both of you to get this money back."

Hoss scratched his chin. "What if ya need help?"

"Then I'll get word to you. All right?"

Neither younger brother felt comfortable having Adam go it alone but they knew his mind was made up. And once Adam Cartwright had his mind set on something, getting him to change it was like trying to topple a Ponderosa Pine with a feather. Joe and Hoss nodded reluctantly.

"Thanks." Adam rose. "I'm going to wash up and change then get my things together."

"Are ya gonna stay for dinner?" Hoss asked.

"No. I think I need to leave before Pa comes down." He eyed each brother. "So, will you cover for me?"

Though still reluctant, they again nodded.

Adam smiled for the first time since being home, said, "Thanks," and headed upstairs.

************

Adam considered his options as he rode along. He could head to San Francisco immediately and try to catch up with the Dorsetts, but he knew he had no chance of catching the stage that the Dorsetts must've taken. Adam could track down Dorsetts' business eventually in San Francisco and confront Mr. Dorsett. Or …

Wait. Something seemed out of place. Dorsett seemed genuinely upset about what had supposedly happened between Adam and his wife. So it didn't seem logical to Adam for a man with Dorsett's money who truly believed in Adam's guilt to accept money in a settlement instead of having Adam prosecuted. It just didn't make sense. And there was also the man himself. Adam's father was normally a good judge of character. He and Mr. Dorsett had met a number of years ago just after Dorsett's first wife had passed away. They had found a common bond in the loss of their wives and had formed a friendship that seemed rock solid. To have the man turn on Ben and the rest of the Cartwrights and to have so easily believed his wife that a Cartwright could've been guilty of such a heinous act - well, to Adam that just didn't seem right, either. But Adam was also well aware that where women were concerned men often did foolish things. He had been a prime example of that in the past himself.

So how could he begin to try and sort the mystery out?

Adam rode on as he absently watched a hare scurrying away into the brush.

A hundred thousand dollars - maybe that was the key. That was an exorbitant amount, even for the Cartwrights. Why would Dorsett choose that figure? Did he want to cripple the Ponderosa? Surely he knew the Ponderosa's assets would be strained but that the Cartwrights could also eventually recoup the loss in one way or another. Why that particular amount for a man who already had so much more? Would that bring justice for his wife?

Another thing kept Adam puzzled. Why wasn't the settlement possibility discussed with him before deciding to go ahead with it? Adam had as much right to a say in the matter as his father or their lawyer. But Adam hadn't even had a chance to talk to Lassiter in all the time he was in jail. Adam considered this. What type of lawyer handled a case without getting a statement and details from his client? True, Adam's father must've given their attorney all the facts of the case as he knew them, but in order to do a thorough job Lassiter should've taken the time to question Adam firsthand, also. Up until this time, Adam had thought Lassiter to be a capable attorney for their family. But perhaps he'd misjudged the man's abilities.

His thoughts returned to the hundred thousand dollars. Adam shook his head at the exorbitant figure. His father must've had to borrow against most of the prime timber on the ranch that hadn't been committed to any contracts or perhaps borrow against the entire Ponderosa itself. Adam realized now more than perhaps any other time in his life how great his father's love for him must be.

Adam's mind worked furiously as he calculated how much money could've been borrowed from the local bank. He figured fifty thousand, at the most, could've been on hand at their bank so his father must've had to take a loan out with another bank, also - probably the one in Placerville. The thought tore at Adam's gut that the family's home and lands were being risked for his sake. True, they could eventually pay off the loans but it would take years for the family to recover financially.

Well, Adam wouldn't stand for it. He'd get the money back somehow.

Slapping the reins, he urged Sport on.

************

They hadn't left town. Adam was very surprised to find out that the Dorsetts were still around. Apparently the stage had been delayed a few days due to a rock slide, as a wire from the stage company had indicated, so the two had been forced to remain at the hotel. Adam decided to lay low and stay out of the Dorsetts' sight until he could figure out a way to get Victoria alone.

************

Shelby Starrett, a good friend of the Cartwrights and owner of one of the saloons in town, listened as Adam relayed recent events to her and explained his fervent desire to get the money back to his family. She'd been out of town for a week and this was the first she'd heard about his arrest.

Shelby and Adam were seated at a back table late that night. Shelby poured Adam a shot of whiskey and then one for herself. Myra and the other saloon girl, Martha, waited on the customers. The place had a good crowd for a Thursday night.

"Why that jezebel! Let me at her and I'll take care of her fer ya!" Shelby offered before gulping down her whiskey.

Adam grinned. He knew Shelby well and half expected her to go gunning for the woman. "I wish it was that easy," he chuckled as he took a drink, also.

Shelby poured herself more whiskey. "Well, what da ya wanna do?"

Adam leaned back in his chair and pushed a stray lock of hair back from his brow. "I want to talk to her - alone. But I don't know how I'm going to be able to do that."

"Don'cha think that'll cause more trouble?"

Adam had another drink of the whiskey. "Probably. But I don't know what else to do. She lied and I've got to get her to admit it somehow."

Shelby lit a stogie and took a long drag off it before responding, "I don't think she will. She's won and she won't wanna risk losin' that rich husband of hers."

Adam frowned. "I guess you're right."

The saloon owner chewed absently on the end of her cigar. "Hmmm. What's her husband like?"

Thinking it over, Adam replied, "I can't figure him out. I've known him for a few years and my father and he were great friends. But ever since the other day he's been like a different man."

"How's that?"

"He's been unreasonable. He was so sure I was guilty and didn't care if he hurt my father or me or anyone else as long as I got prosecuted."

Now it was Shelby's turn to chuckle. She laid a hand on Adam's arm. "Adam, where a beautiful young wife is concerned, some men are just blind. All they can see is her and nobody else matters."

Adam snorted slightly. "Apparently."

She smiled, withdrew her hand, and took another long puff. "But I jus' cain't figger what they need the money fer if they're so rich. They should'a jus' sent ya ta prison."

"Thanks a lot."

She chuckled again. "Aw, that ain't what I meant, Adam. But why did they take the money instead?"

Adam's hand raked his hair. "I don't know. I don't understand it either. Dorsett was so furious and convinced of my guilt it doesn't seem logical that the money would've appeased him."

"Unless she convinced him ta take it fer some reason."

"What reason?"

Shelby shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe she didn't wanna go through a trial. Or maybe …"

Adam's eyebrows raised as he waited for her to finish, but Shelby found she couldn't. "Who knows, Adam? But I have an idea."

He looked at her questioningly.

"Suppose I talk ta him. Maybe he'll let somethin' slip."

Adam poured himself more whiskey then held the glass up as he considered this. "Think you can get him alone?"

"He's a male, ain't he? I can handle him."

Once more Adam's chuckle was his answer.

Shelby stomped out the remains of her stogie. "It's late. Got a place ta stay tonight?"

Adam hadn't thought that far. He shrugged.

Shelby indicated with her head toward the direction of the stairs. "Take the room top of the stairs far left. Ain't nobody usin' that tonight."

He took that as a hint that she was thinking of closing for the night. Downing the last of his whiskey, Adam grabbed his hat off the table, said, "Thanks, Shelby," and left some money on the table.

"Sure thing, Adam. See ya in the mornin'."

Adam nodded then headed to the stairs. The whiskey had dulled his senses a little but not enough to make things blurry. He headed upstairs and heard Shelby say loudly, "Closin' time!

Adam grinned to himself as the saloon owner began shooing everyone out with her own "tactful" style.

************

Shelby used her friendship with the desk clerk at the Cattlemen's Hotel to find out the Dorsetts had already been down for breakfast, and that afterwards Mrs. Dorsett took off shopping while Mr. Dorsett returned to his room. Shelby also found out from her friend which room the Dorsetts occupied.

She'd brought a bottle of her best bourbon with her and set off up the stairs as the desk clerk watched her then returned to his work.

************

Mark Dorsett heard a knock on his door and got up from reading the paper to answer it. Opening the door, he was curious to find a woman standing there, dressed in buckskins, with a side arm strapped to her hip, and toting a liquor bottle. "Can I help you?" he asked warily.

Shelby smiled the sweetest smile she could muster. "Mr. Dorsett?"

He again spoke warily, "Yes?"

"Mind if we have a little talk?"

"Who are you?"

"Just a friend."

"I don't know you. Now, if you don't mind." He prepared to close the door but Shelby stuck her boot out, preventing him from closing it.

"Please, Mr. Dorsett. It'll only take a minute."

"What's this about?"

"If you'll let me come in, I'll tell ya. Or if you'd prefer, we can go downstairs and talk."

Dorsett scrutinized Shelby. "I didn't catch your name."

"I didn't throw it. I'm Shelby Starrett and I own the saloon across the street."

"Well, Miss Starrett, I don't see what we have to discuss."

Shelby was a patient person, especially when she set her mind to something. "Like I said, it'll only take a minute."

He continued to be hesitant but caught sight of another hotel guest walking by and looking curiously in their direction. Figuring he wouldn't be able to get rid of Starrett if he didn't hear her out, he opened the door wider. "All right. Come in."

"Now yer talkin'."

Shelby came in and looked around. The Dorsetts had one of the best suites in the hotel. "Very nice." She walked over to a table that had a beautiful flower arrangement on it and swiped two glasses nearby. "I brung some bourbon. Finest around. Figured a man like you only drank the best." She poured the liquor and reached a glass out in his direction.

He didn't immediately accept it but she persuaded him by shoving it his way and saying with some intensity, "I said it was the best."

He reluctantly took the glass and took a sip. His face showed mild surprise as he swallowed the bourbon. Setting the glass down, he admitted, "It's quite good. Thank you."

Shelby drank some, also. "Don't mention it."

He extended his hand toward a chair. "Have a seat, Miss Starrett?"

"Shelby, please. Don't mind if I do." She took a chair at the table and he did likewise.

"So, Shelby, what can I do for you?"

"I heard you were a friend of the Cartwrights."

Dorsett downed some more bourbon as his face tensed. "I was a friend of theirs."

"That's what I heard." She took another few sips from her glass then leaned back in her chair. "You know, the Cartwrights are good people. I've known them for years."

"If it's any of your concern, Miss Starrett, I've known Ben Cartwright for several years, too. But things happen and friendships grow tainted."

She looked him straight in the eye. "Ya know, Adam Cartwright didn't do them things your wife accused him of."

Dorsett rose from his chair. "I don't wish to discuss the matter. Now if you'll excuse me." He indicated the door, but Shelby held her ground.

"No. Not 'til ya've heard me out."

"There's nothing to discuss," he said adamantly.

Shelby ignored him and poured herself more bourbon. As she held the glass to her lips, before drinking she mentioned, "Sher seemed a strange thing fer you ta do."

Growing impatient, he asked, "What?"

"Taking the money instead of sending Adam ta jail."

Dorsett reached for his glass and retorted angrily, "You wanted me to send him to prison?"

"No. 'Course not. But it jus' don't seem natural fer a man with yer money ta settle on one hundred thousand dollars instead of sending yer wife's attacker ta jail."

"What are you talking about? It was twenty five thousand dollars."

Shelby eyed him then set down her glass. She stated plainly and dead seriously, "It was one hundred thousand dollars."

"That's ridiculous. Where did you hear that?"

Now Shelby was confused. "Don't matter. But yer sayin' ya only got twenty five thousand?"

"Yes. Exactly twenty five thousand dollars to settle the case and save my wife the embarrassment of going through a trial."

Shelby thought this over. She remembered the figure Adam had mentioned, and she believed him. Yet for some reason she now believed Mr. Dorsett, too. "Well, seems ta me there's seventy five thousand dollars missing somewheres."

Now Dorsett was confused. "I don't understand."

Shelby leaned forward and informed him, "Ben Cartwright paid one hundred thousand dollars to get his son cleared of the charges."

Dorsett sat down. "Where did you hear that?"

"Like ah said, it don't matter. But it's the truth."

Dorsett ran this through his brain as he tried to figure out a possible answer. "The Cartwrights' lawyer arranged everything. He gave me the money in cash."

"Hmmm. Tom Lassiter?"

"Yes."

"And alls he gave you was twenty five thousand dollars?"

Dorsett nodded carefully.

The faintest grin began to form around the edges of Shelby's mouth. Dorsett noticed and asked, "What?"

Considering the man before her, Shelby took a chance. "Mr. Dorsett, you said you and Ben Cartwright were friends for a while before all this happened, right?"

He again nodded.

"And in all that time did he ever disappoint you?"

Dorsett thought back. "No. I found him to be an honorable, decent man."

"Puttin' aside how you feel about Adam, s'ppose you, me, and Adam try ta git ta the bottom of all this? Adam is just as decent a man as his father. Believe me."

He snorted and again rose from his chair. "He assaulted my wife!"

"Ya seem ta be a fair man, Mr. Dorsett. And you yerself said the matter between Adam and yer wife is settled. S'ppose I could prove he's innocent?"

"You're telling me my wife lied?"

Shelby knew she was treading a fine line. "Maybe she overreacted?"

Dorsett looked at her skeptically. Shelby shrugged, "Or maybe she lied."

"My wife loves me. She would never lie to me!"

"But if I could prove it?"

Dorsett once more eyed her. He was still dwelling over the matter of the unaccounted for seventy five thousand dollars. "How?"

Shelby got up from her chair. "What say we take a little ride out ta the Ponderosa? Jus' you, me, and Adam?"

"Why?"

"So we kin clear this thing up."

"I don't like it. I want nothing to do with him."

"Don’t make me slap ya inta tomorrow," she said evenly.

Dorsett was dumbfounded at Shelby's pronouncement and the look in her eyes that told him she meant business. Despite the distasteful idea of a trip to the Ponderosa, a slight grin soon began to form on his face. "You don't mince words do you, Shelby."

"Nope."

With a faint chuckle, Dorsett grabbed his hat and coat and, indicating the door, said, "Shall we?"

"I was hoping ya'd ask." Shelby grabbed the bourbon and, with a wry smile, followed him out.

************

Dorsett had left word with the desk clerk to tell his wife he went riding but said nothing more, per Shelby's advice.

The two headed over to the saloon and met up with Adam. Both Dorsett and Adam exchanged uncomfortable looks but Shelby intervened. "Adam, Mr. Dorsett is riding out ta the Ponderosa with us. I'll tell ya all about it on the way." Curious but willing to go along with Shelby's plan, whatever it was, Adam agreed and the three of them went to saddle the horses.

On the way to the Ponderosa, Shelby informed Adam of the conflicting amounts. Dorsett could tell by the look in Adam's eyes that he had truly believed one hundred thousand dollars had been exchanged.

Nothing more was said and the group continued on to the ranch.

************

Ben had been stuck at the ranch dealing with a dispute between some of the hands but had fully intended to go off in search of Adam later that day. As he sent the foreman and the rest of the hands out on the range, he heard several horses galloping up and was surprised to see who was riding them.

Shelby noted Ben's surprise and grinned as she dismounted. "Ben. I brung ya some company."

Ben hesitated a moment before coming closer. He looked to Dorsett. "Mark," he acknowledged, puzzled.

"Ben," Dorsett replied solemnly.

Ben next glanced over at Adam. "Adam?"

His son smiled slightly. "Pa. Mr. Dorsett, Shelby, and I have something to discuss with you. Let's go inside."

Ben looked to the others as they waited for his answer. "Of course." He directed the group to the house.

Once inside, hats were set by the door and coats removed and Ben ushered everyone into the main room, inviting everyone to sit down. Hop Sing came out and offered to make coffee.

"That would be fine, Hop Sing." Ben took his red chair and glanced around as Hop Sing returned to the kitchen. "Well? What is it?"

Shelby was seated next to Dorsett and spoke up first. "Ben, how much did 'ja give Tom Lassiter ta git Adam out of jail?"

Curious, Ben looked at her and answered, "One hundred thousand dollars."

Shelby sat back and gave Dorsett an 'I told you so' look. Dorsett's brow furrowed. "I don't understand, Ben. Lassiter gave me twenty five thousand. That was the amount I agreed on."

Ben leaned forward. "What?!"

Adam listened, deeply concerned.

Dorsett confirmed, "My word. I didn't ask for any more."

Ben rubbed his hand over his face as he considered this. "But I gave him one hundred thousand."

Adam spoke up. "Pa, whose idea was it to offer a settlement in the first place?"

His father thought it over before responding. "Lassiter's."

Shelby nodded as if she had expected it. "That skunk."

"I still don't understand," Dorsett admitted. "Why would your attorney do such a thing?"

That was a good question and the others considered it. Adam felt he had a good suspicion but was hesitant to share it with the group. Ben glanced over at him and could tell Adam had some idea.

"Adam? You have a theory?"

Shelby and Dorsett looked Adam's way, too.

Adam let out a breath and considered whether he should verbalize his suspicions. Finally, he told them, "I think Mrs. Dorsett may be involved with Tom Lassiter."

Surprise then acceptance shown on Ben and Shelby's faces but Dorsett just grew angry. "That's ridiculous!"

"Now, Mark," Ben started to say.

"She wouldn't do that!"

Shelby cut in. "He could be right, Dorsett."

Dorsett had come to like Shelby and her outspoken ways and had come to respect her in the short time he had known her. He huffed yet still contemplated her words.

Hop Sing came out and passed coffee around to everyone. Dorsett ignored his and continued to consider the possibility of his wife's infidelity.

Ben was hesitant to bring something up but at last told Adam, "Tell Mark what happened the first night they were here."

Adam shot his father a look but his father nodded for him to proceed. Adam let out another breath before revealing, "The night she asked me to take her for a walk I only went as far as the porch. I was uneasy about being with her."

Shelby asked, "Why?"

"When I first met her - I don't know - something just didn't seem right."

Dorsett kept silent, dubious of what Adam had to say.

Adam continued. "We were out on the porch and she was telling me how her husband and she had an understanding. That she entertained his guests and accompanied him on trips and played her role as his wife, and …"

"And what?" Dorsett asked impatiently.

Adam again looked to his father, and again Ben urged him on.

"She said she was free to love whom she pleased. And then she kissed me."

"What?!"

Shelby took hold of Dorsett's arm. "Settle down," she ordered. "Hear him out."

Dorsett pulled his arm away but reluctantly did as he was told.

Adam went on. "It happened almost before I realized what was happening but immediately I got up from my chair and moved away from her. Then she kind of laughed, said goodnight, and went inside."

"Seems ta me yer wife has kept a few things from ya, Dorsett," Shelby noted.

"I don't believe it."

Ben told him, "That's why Adam left early and stayed in town the following day. And why he went to his room almost immediately that night - to keep away from your wife. It was you and me who encouraged the sightseeing trip, remember?"

Unfortunately, Dorsett did remember. He muttered, "Yes."

Ben felt compelled to add, "And if I'm not mistaken, your wife was the one who suggested it in the first place."

The painful words couldn't be denied. Dorsett shook his head slowly as he took this all in.

Ben softened his tone. "Mark, Adam would never have done what she accused him of. You have to believe me."

Dorsett buried his face in his hands.

Shelby watched him and said, "I think he does, Ben."

Adam watched him, too, hopeful the man was finally seeing the light.

After several long moments, Dorsett lowered his hands. "If what you're telling me is true ..." He looked around at the sympathetic faces. "… I feel like such an old fool."

Ben came over to him. "Don't."

Shelby put a hand on Dorsett's arm. "She don't deserve ya."

He just shrugged.

Adam watched them, not wanting to intrude on the man's pain.

Uncomfortable with the pity he was receiving, Dorsett got up and wandered over to the fireplace. Turning around, he said, "What should I do?"

Ben and Shelby naturally looked to Adam. Ben asked, "What do you think, Son?"

Adam thought about it. Eventually, he suggested, "I think we could use a little more legal advice, Pa." He said it matter-of-factly yet with a small grin.

The others took a few moments but soon realized what he had in mind. They duplicated Adam's grin as each one in turn nodded.

************

Ben greeted Tom Lassiter as the attorney dismounted in front of the Ponderosa. Lassiter glanced around and didn't see any other horses in sight.

"Tom." Ben extended his hand. "Thanks for coming."

As Lassiter returned the handshake, he said, "Glad to do it, Ben. Little Joe stopped by and said you needed some advice?"

Ben indicated the door. "Yes, let's go inside and discuss it."

Lassiter was agreeable to that and followed Ben into the house. Lassiter set his hat by the door and headed over to join Ben in the main room. Ben went over to pour some brandy into two glasses.

Handing one of the glasses to the lawyer, Ben said, "Have a seat, Tom."

Lassiter did as he was offered, taking a place on the settee. Ben remained standing as he sipped his brandy.

"Well, Ben, what can I do for you?"

Furrowing his brow a little, Ben replied, "Tom, Adam asked if you got Dorsett to sign a release dropping all charges against him."

Lassiter leaned forward a little. "I thought you didn't want Adam to know anything about the settlement?"

"I tried to keep it from him, but you know Adam. He knew right away something was going on so I had to tell him."

Lassiter sipped the brandy as he considered this. "What did you tell him?"

"Everything. He would've found out eventually anyway."

Lassiter replied casually, "I suppose you're right."

"So - about the release?"

Lassiter leaned back, making himself comfortable. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?"

"I think we'd be tempting fate. I don't think Dorsett wants anything more said about the matter. Otherwise he may change his mind and insist on charges."

"But we've already paid him."

"He could return the money and take this thing to court."

Ben thought it over. "No. I don't think he'll return the one hundred thousand dollars. That's quite a sum of money."

"To Dorsett that's a drop in the bucket. He didn't even flinch when I gave it to him."

Ben set his glass down and turned his head slightly toward the dining room. Raising his voice slightly, Ben asked, "Heard enough, Mark?"

Lassiter sat up and jerked his head in that direction. He heard a voice say, "Quite enough, Ben."

The lawyer was stricken as he saw Mark Dorsett emerge from the kitchen area followed shortly thereafter by Sheriff Coffee, Adam, and Shelby.

Lassiter got to his feet and, outraged, asked, "What is this?!"

Adam responded evenly, "It's called a setup."

It took Lassiter a moment to recover. "I won't stand for this! I'm leaving!"

He attempted to make it to the door but Sheriff Coffee arrived there first and stood in his path. "Goin' somewhere?"

"I demand you step aside, Sheriff!"

"You can demand all ya want, Lassiter, but I'm takin' ya in."

"On what charges?"

Roy answered confidently, "Robbery fer starters. And I'm sher I kin think of some others while I'm about it."

Dorsett stormed over and, before anyone could react, smashed his fist into Lassiter's jaw. The lawyer landed on the floor, still conscious though dazed.

"You've been involved with my wife!"

Lassiter stayed where he was, rubbing his jaw, as he told Dorsett with a smirk, "Prove it!"

Dorsett started over toward him again but the sheriff intervened.

"That'll be enough of that, Dorsett." Coffee helped Lassiter up then prodded him to the door. "See ya, folks. I've gotta git this hombre ta town."

Ben asked, "Need any help?"

"Nah. The day I cain't handle one lowdown, varmint lawyer …"

The Cartwrights and Shelby chuckled. They chorused their goodbyes to Roy and he and Lassiter left. Ben pushed the door closed then faced the others. "I'm sorry, Mark."

Dorsett was still reeling from discovering that they had all been right about his wife. He said softly, "I'm sorry, too, Ben." He looked to Adam. "I'm sorry, Adam. I had no idea."

Adam responded generously, "I understand."

Ben prodded everybody back into the main room and encouraged Dorsett to take a seat. Dorsett sat down then leaned forward and covered his face with his hands. "Victoria."

Shelby put a sympathetic hand on his back. "Like ah said, she don't deserve ya."

Dorsett looked up at her. "I don't understand. We've got plenty of money. What would she and Lassiter want with the other seventy five thousand dollars?"

Ben shrugged while Adam considered the question. Finally Shelby suggested, "Guess there's only one way ta find out …"

The men looked to her, waiting for her to finish her statement.

"…Ask the lady."

Adam thought about it, grinned, then nodded. "I agree."

Dorsett saw that Ben nodded also. The group watched Dorsett as he struggled to come to a decision. Finally, he got up and muttered, "Let's go find my wife."

************

Unfortunately, before any plan could be put in action, Mrs. Dorsett had already discovered that something had gone wrong. Ben, Adam, Shelby, and Mr. Dorsett arrived in town about ten minutes after Victoria caught sight of the sheriff bringing Tom Lassiter to jail in irons. She had been on her way into the hotel at the time and now, panicked, continued up to her room, hurriedly but not so fast as to draw attention to herself.

She was relieved to find her husband nowhere in sight. Quickly tossing some things into a bag, Mrs. Dorsett also retrieved the twenty five thousand dollars given to her husband and shoved that into the bag before closing it, then left the room as hurriedly as she had arrived.

Adam and the others were just reaching town as Mrs. Dorsett was hurrying out of town in the other direction in a rented carriage. She just missed running down an old couple who managed to scurry out of her way in time.

The others hadn't spotted her and had begun to dismount but Adam caught sight of Victoria and took off in hot pursuit.

Puzzled as he tied his reins to the hitching post, Ben looked up to see where Adam was rushing off to and spotted the carriage disappearing in the distance. He grabbed his reins and alerted the others. "There she goes!"

Shelby and Mr. Dorsett hurriedly remounted and followed after Ben.

************

Mrs. Dorsett had had some experience driving carriages but not at a dead run. She anxiously glanced over her shoulder numerous times and realized that Adam was gaining on her. She shouted to her horse, "Go! Go!" and slapped the reins furiously while trying to remain in her seat.

Adam and Sport closed in and, as his horse drew alongside the carriage, Adam reached out and caught hold of one side of the carriage's harness, eventually pulling the lathered horse to a halt. Victoria jumped down from the carriage and took off running. Adam quickly dismounted, looped Sport's reins around a bush, and took off after the girl.

Victoria ran into a thick clump of trees and could hear Adam's footsteps gaining on her. Terrified now, she ran on, not realizing she was nearing the edge of a small cliff. She came to a clearing and stopped just in time as some loosened pebbles went toppling over the edge. Victoria turned to face Adam fearlessly. "Leave me alone!" she shouted through gasps of breath.

Adam stopped as he recovered his breath also and glared at her. "You're coming back with me."

"No!" She turned and took a step, drawing even closer to the edge. Adam saw this and held back.

"Don't go any farther or you'll fall," he warned.

Again she faced him. "Then go away!"

"I'm not leaving without you."

"You can't make me go back!"

Meanwhile, Ben and the others had caught up and came running up behind Adam. Adam shouted, "Wait! She's near the edge!" The other three halted in their tracks. Adam turned back to the girl. "It's over, Victoria. The sheriff knows about you and Lassiter."

Defiant though with tears gathering in her eyes she shouted, "I don't care!"

Mr. Dorsett took one step closer, though he was still behind Adam. "Why, Victoria? Why did you need the money so badly?"

Ben and Shelby watched apprehensively as the girl remained precariously close to going over the edge. Adam inched slightly closer while Dorsett distracted her.

Victoria cried, "Because we were gonna go away! To New York! And I was going to divorce you!"

The words struck him hard. "I don't understand. I didn't even know you knew him."

It made no difference now so she volunteered, "I met him in San Francisco." She took pleasure revealing, "He was on business for the Cartwrights!"

Ben heard this and recalled sending Lassiter there for a contract dispute. Adam remembered, also.

Shelby and the others listened disgustedly as Victoria revealed, "We fell in love while you were spending every day at your office, Mark! You had no idea, did you?"

Adam kept an eye on the area near the girl's feet as a few more pebbles loosened and tumbled down.

Dorsett asked solemnly. "Where's the rest of the Cartwrights' money?"

"That's all you care about, isn't it?"

"You betrayed me and you think I should care about you?"

Ben and Shelby inched closer toward Adam as Adam inched closer toward the girl.

"Where is it?" Dorsett asked his wife once more.

"Tom has it. Get it from him if you want it so much!"

Ben spoke gently, "Victoria, we won't hurt you. But you're too close to the edge. Come back this way a little. Please?"

"He's right," Shelby encouraged. "No sense gittin' yerself killed."

Victoria glowered at her. "I don't even know you. What are you doing here?"

"I'm a friend of the Cartwrights."

"The Cartwrights! They have friends, money, everything! I have nothing!"

"You brought it on yourself," Adam retorted.

Ben wasn't sure Adam's words were the wisest at this moment though he knew his son had good reason to say them.

"Torie, it's over. You can't get away," her husband stated flatly. "Now, come back toward us."

"No!"

Adam inched ever closer. Victoria was beginning to panic as her eyes searched desperately for a way out. "Go away! All of you!"

Shelby advised, "Yer gonna git yerself killed."

"I don't care!" She took one small step backwards and it was her undoing. A scream pierced the air as Victoria slipped and as Adam and the others rushed forward.

Mr. Dorsett wailed, "TORIE!" as the girl plummeted downward. The Cartwrights, Dorsett, and Shelby watched helplessly as Victoria's body at last came to a standstill at the bottom of the cliff. She lay motionless and bloody in the midst of some boulders.

Dorsett forced himself away from the edge and broke down. Shelby went over to comfort him as Adam stared down at the body and as Ben put a hand on his son's shoulder.

************

Three days later, all four Cartwrights stood by the stage, along with Shelby, and watched as Mr. Dorsett bought his ticket at the depot and then came over toward them.

Ben held his hand out toward the man. "I wish you weren't leaving so soon, Mark."

Dorsett returned the handshake warmly. "I really need to get back, Ben. Besides …" He let the statement drift off. Ben understood and nodded.

Dorsett extended his hand toward Adam. "I'm so sorry for all of the trouble my wife and I caused you, Adam."

Adam shook his hand and said, "I'm just glad it's over. And that you and my father are friends again."

"I am, too," Mark Dorsett replied and added to both Ben and Adam, "And I'm pleased the judge was able to get the rest of your money back from Lassiter. Though I would've made up the difference if he hadn't."

Ben answered sincerely, "I know."

Dorsett shook Little Joe and Hoss's hands, also. "Bye, Boys."

They chorused their goodbyes then helped hand Mr. Dorsett's luggage up to the stagecoach driver.

Dorsett next turned to Shelby. "What can I say? You opened my eyes, Shelby."

Never one for compliments, Shelby shrugged. "Weren't nuthin'."

He took her hand for a moment. "If I come back this way, will I be welcome at your saloon?"

She grinned. "Payin' customers are always welcome." She winked and he smiled back and eventually released her hand.

The stagecoach driver shouted, "I'm pullin' out!"

A few other people waiting nearby climbed aboard the stage as the man from the depot assisted. Dorsett awaited his turn with one last look back at his friends. "Thank you for everything."

Hoss said, "Ya jus' make sher ya come back and see us." His family and Shelby nodded their concurrence.

Dorsett smiled then climbed aboard. The depot man secured the door, moved a stool away that had been placed at the door, and the driver yelled, "H'yah!" to the horses as the stage pulled out.

The Cartwrights and Shelby waved as the stage drew out of sight.

Shelby muttered, "Well, best git back ta work," and began walking off.

Adam called out, "Thanks, Shelby."

She waved a hand in acknowledgement but kept walking.

Ben told his youngest sons, "Get the supplies loaded. We'll be along in a minute."

Little Joe and Hoss, sensing that their father needed to speak with Adam, agreed and headed off in the other direction. Adam was lost in thought as his father turned to him.

"Adam?"

Brought back to the present, Adam looked at him questioningly.

"What were you thinking about, Son?"

Adam snorted slightly. "Nothing."

His father knew better. "Tell me."

Adam sighed, considering whether he should answer. "I was just wondering about women."

"Women?"

"I haven't had much luck with them lately."

"Oh." Ben smiled to himself. He'd been down that road, too, long ago.

"Now I don't know if I can trust them or if they're just trying to manipulate me."

"You have had your share of conniving women, haven't you?"

"Yeah." Adam thought about it a moment. "Pa, is it me? Do I draw this kind of woman out?"

"I don't know, Adam. But they're not all like that."

"That's the type I seem to attract."

"You have to remember it was Lassiter's fault you became involved with that type of woman this time."

Ben's words did little to ease Adam's mind. "Uh huh."

"My advice, for what it's worth, is to take it slow until you get to know a girl."

Adam took the words in and nodded solemnly.

"And one more piece of advice, Son."

Adam glanced at his father warily.

"Stay far away from the married ones," Ben counseled with a grin.

Now, Adam Cartwright wasn't one to allow his father to ever have the last parting shot if he could help it. Adam's mood suddenly lightened and he noted wryly, "This one you threw at me."

Ben's innocent look was wasted on his son. "What?"

As they began walking off to join Hoss and Little Joe, Adam quipped, "You wanted me to give the sightseeing tour, remember?"

"Well, Mark did, too."

"And they were your friends."

"He was, but she …"

"And you just had to play chess that first night."

"The board was all set up."

Adam laughed.

Father and son continued the conversation down the street with Adam reminding Ben, "You made me come to the table after I got home that night."

Ben threw an arm around Adam's shoulders and smiled innocently, "I missed you, Son."

Adam maneuvered out of the playful hug. "Ha!"

The two Cartwrights drew stares as they continued their banter and laughter on down the road.

Happily, things were back to normal for the Cartwrights.

 

THE END.