Tomorrow is Another Day

By Gail G.

 

I want to thank Laura for helping me by beta-reading. Thanks Laura!!!

Rating: PG-(There is a curse word)

Disclaimer: I do not own the Cartwright Characters. Or any Characters belonging to the Ponderosa or Bonanza.

 

Today started like any other day--I laid in my bed waiting for Pa to call for us to get up. After about a half an hour, I heard Pa call my name. He then called for Hoss and Joe. This is when I discovered today was going to be a bit different. As I sat up in bed to get up, I hit my head on the top bunk. You would think as long as I have been sleeping on the bottom bunk that I would remember the top bunk was there. But I didn’t, so as I sat rubbing my head and saying a few choice words out loud, I then heard footsteps.

When I looked up, Pa was standing over me like a big old bear, lips in a straight line, frown on his face. It took him a whole two seconds to start giving me a lecture about appropriate language. Like I wanted to listen to a lecture this early in the morning, but I knew better than to say anything, so I just listened. When he finished his speech, he turned to leave the room. He left me feeling sick to my stomach and with the promise of having my mouth washed out if he ever heard such words again.

I simply nodded my head and answered, "Yes, Pa."

I had not even gotten out of bed and I was already wishing for tomorrow. Is this any way to start the day?

When I finally rolled out of the bed, I stood up and retrieved my pants. As I pulled my pants up and began to fasten them, one of the buttons popped off and flew to only God knows where. I looked around for a few minutes; but when I did not find the missing button, I decided to wear my other pair of pants. Only I could not find my other pair, so I had to search for them. Can you guess where I found them--under Joe’s bunk. Please don’t ask me how they got there, for I don’t think I really even want to know.

Well, anyway, as I was bending over to get my pants out from under Joe’s bed, I once again hit my head. I stood quickly and found myself in the same situation as earlier. I was rubbing my head spurting out four letter words that I knew I should not be saying. When I came back to my senses, I looked toward the bunk room door to see if Pa had heard me. It would not have done me well to be caught saying the same words that Pa just lectured me about no more than fifteen minutes ago.

I smacked my lips together and made a face. Just the thought of that awful tasting soap made me want to spit.

Okay, I know what you’re thinking--I am twenty-one years old, too old to get my mouth washed out . Well believe me, Pa never forgets a promise; and regardless of my age, if he had heard me, I would be eating soap. Boy, I sure do hope things start going better.

When I finally made it out to the breakfast table, everyone was staring at me.

"About time, older brother," Hoss said before Pa started to say grace.

As we passed the dishes of food around the table, Pa gave us each our orders for the day. He had told me that I would be helping Joe clean out the chicken coop.

"Paaa. . .I hate the chickens. Why can’t Hoss help him." I sounded like Joe whining about going to school.

"Son, you’re a lot bigger than the chickens, and I have other things for your brother to do today." Pa said as he looked around the table at each of us.

I was agitated with the whole conversation. I was getting ready to slam my elbows onto the table top, when I hit the bowl of eggs and watched them fly through the air. Now, it was an accident that I hit that bowl but; I guess if I hadn’t been mad I would have been paying better attention. I closed my eyes and waited for the scolding I knew was coming. Once again I thought to myself, will this day ever end. I wish it was tomorrow.

"A-dam." Pa’s voice had that warning tone.

I opened my eyes and looked at my father. Boy, the look on his face was priceless. "Yes Pa."

"Clean up this mess." He waved his arm as he pointed to the eggs all over the floor.

I nodded my head as I answered, "Yes, Pa. It was an accident, sir."

Pa’s lips were still in a real straight line. He was just as agitated as I was. "Accident or not, clean up this mess."

"Yes, sir." I stood from the table and quickly started cleaning up the spilled eggs.

When the mess was all cleaned up, I sat back down and ate my breakfast in silence. Upsetting Pa this early in the morning was not a good thing. I just kept praying that today would just get over with and it was tomorrow. Tomorrow will bring a brighter day. That’s what Ma used to say to me when I would get into trouble when I was younger.

After breakfast was eaten, we all headed outside to start our chores. At first, everything was going fine. Then it was time to clean out that dang chicken coop. I hate chickens, except to eat them. I swear I believe Joe has trained those chickens to attack me when I enter that coop.

Joe and I moved and stood in front of the chicken coop. I just stood there staring at it for the longest time. I ran my hand across my brow to wipe away the sweat that had appeared there.

"What’s wrong big brother, ya scared of some little chickens?" Joe taunted as he danced around me.

"Shut up, Joe. Let’s just get this over with."

Joe reached out to open the coop door. As we stepped in, chickens started flapping their wings and flying straight at me.

Joe started to laugh so hard I thought he was going to throw up. I on the other hand fell to the ground covering my head with my arms. When I heard Joe scattering chicken feed, I became brave and looked up. The chickens had surrounded him and were pecking away at the ground.

This was my opportunity. I picked up the shovel and started cleaning--fast. When I was almost done, Joe snuck up behind me.

"Hey, Adam?"

"What!" I jumped as I started to turn around.

That’s when Joe threw one of the chickens at me. I started to scream, "Damn it, Joe, I’m going to kill you."

At first Joe just stood there with his mouth hanging open, I’m not sure if he was surprised that I had been scared by that gosh awful chicken or it was because I had cussed. Well, whatever it was, it didn’t take him long to figure out that I was mad.

Like lightning my youngest brother turned and ran for the door of the coop. I was close behind him, yelling and cursing the whole way. You would have thought that I would remember Pa’s warning about that soap, but I was just too mad at the moment. I ran out of the coop behind my young brother and was right on his heels.

It didn’t take long before Pa and Hoss appeared from behind the barn trying to figure out what was going on. When he saw me chasing Joe, he started calling to the both of us.

"Adam!! Joseph!! That’s enough, both of you."

When we didn’t listen, he tried once again, "BOYS!! Stop it NOW!!"

Well, when Pa uses that tone of voice, you know you better stop. So we did--we both stopped running and stood by the porch. Joe did, however, stand just far enough away that I couldn’t reach him.

Pa stomped over to where we were both standing. "What in the Sam Hill is going on?"

Both Joe and I were out of breath, so we stood there for a moment to collect our thoughts. Then we both started to speak at once.

"Silence!! One at a time, please. Adam you start." Pa propped his hands on his hips as the frown on his face deepened.

"Paaa...Why does Adam get to go first?" Joe grumbled.

Pa simply just looked at my little brother and said, "Because I said so."

"Oh." Joe answered as he looked down at the ground.

I started to explain the whole ordeal to Pa. He was not amused. He then listened to Joe’s side of the story, he was still not amused.

He grabbed Joe by the upper arm and gave him one swift swat. "That, young man, is for torturing your bother with a chicken. Now you go and get your chores finished before I give you some more of the same." Pa then pointed back to the chicken coop.

Joe trudged away like a defeated soldier, as I stood with a smug look on my face, because Joe had gotten into trouble.

Pa turned and looked at me as he crossed his arms across his chest. "You can wipe that look right off your face, young man, you’re in just as much trouble as your little brother."

I’m sure I had a puzzled look on my face. I mean, I wasn’t the one throwing chickens at people. Pa then continued, "Did I not warn you just this morning about that language you were using?"

Oh, so that’s what he is talking about. I started to try to defend my actions. "But Pa, he was throwing chickens at me. I was so mad, I couldn’t control myself."

Pa didn’t say anything else; he stood there and frowned at me. He then waved his hand for me to follow him into the house. When we were inside, we went over to where Hop Sing keeps the soap. Pa picked out a bar and told me to open my mouth.

Well, when I did, he popped that soap right into my mouth. I stood there for what seemed like forever, trying to keep myself from gagging. When he finally said I could spit and rinse, I did so quickly.

"Adam," Pa said, "if I hear any more words like that today, I promise you’ll regret it. Do I make myself clear??"

"Yes, sir, it won’t happen again," I said as I ran my tongue over my teeth trying to get what soap was left out of my mouth. As I did so, I wondered what Pa meant by that I would regret it. Well I didn’t really want to find out.

As Pa turned to walk back outside, he stopped. "When you’re done I want you to finish your chores. You can leave the rest of the chicken coop to your brother."

I nodded my head as I spit yet another mouthful of water into the bowl. Why couldn’t Hop Sing add some of those wonderful spices he uses to cook with in this soap to make it taste better? I guess if it tasted good, then it really wouldn’t be a punishment. When I had finished rinsing out what soap I could get out of my mouth, I went back outside to do my chores. At least I didn’t have to go help anymore with the chickens, that was the one plus for the day.

I instead went to the barn to start mucking the stalls. Pa had moved all the horses outside to the corral. It was such a lovely day, he thought they could use the fresh air. I picked up the pitch fork and started lifting out the soiled hay. I was tossing the hay over onto the wheelbarrel, not really paying attention to what I was doing.

As I tossed the next fork full, I heard a thump and then my name. "A-dam." I turned to see who it was, and there stood Pa with that fork full of dirty straw all over his front side.

I dropped the pitchfork and ran over to where Pa was standing. As I picked hay out of his hair, Pa asked me, "Adam, are you, by chance, having a bad day?"

"Pa, I’m real sorry. I didn’t hear you come in. I didn’t mean to hit you with that straw. And how did you know I was having a bad day?"

Pa grinned as he shook his head, "Lucky guess."

"Oh, I’m real sorry, Pa." By now I had most of the stuff out of Pa’s hair.

"Adam, I was going to go into town to pick up some things, but I’ve decided to let you go instead."

My head shot up, "You are? How come?"

Pa rubbed his chin. "Well, son, I think you could use some time to yourself. So, go hitch up the wagon, and I’ll get the list."

My eyes sparkled, the thought of having some time alone, the excitement overcame me and I hurried to hitch up the horses. Within a few minutes Pa came back out with the list of needed supplies. He told me not too dawdle to much, for he expected me home before supper.

As I lifted the reins, I spoke a quick, "Yes, sir," and within a moment I was on my way. As I drove into town I thought about everything that had gone wrong. Well, at least the day is almost over. I can’t wait till tomorrow.

As I pulled the wagon in front of the Trading Post, I tipped my hat to some of the ladies walking down the planked sidewalk. I hopped out of my seat and went inside.

"Good afternoon Adam," Mrs. Orowitz spoke as she waited on a customer.

I nodded, "Good afternoon."

"I am most surprised to see you here. Is your father with you?" Mrs. Orowitz had moved in front of me.

"No, ma’am, he sent me for the supplies." I then handed her the list that my father had given me.

She smiled as she read the list of needed items. "Hmmm, it will take a few moments to get this together, so if you have other business to attended to you have the time."

I almost said I didn’t have anything else to do when the flavor of that soap came back into my mouth. This is when I decided to make yet another mistake for the day. "I’ll be back later then." I then turned and went back into the sunlight.

As I stood on the walkway, I glanced up and down the street. Let’s see, if I go to Shelby’s she won’t serve me anything but coffee. But if I go to Jack’s I could have a quick beer or even a whiskey. Pa would never know if I just have one. I then walked to Mr. Wolfe’s hotel and strutted inside as if I owned the place.

As I stood inside the doorway, one of Jack’s ladies came to greet me. She asked if I was interested in some ummm...entertainment. Okay, I had a bad feeling about being here. If Pa found out...I just don’t want to think about it. I grinned at the young woman, "No ma’am, not today, but thank you for the offer."

She gave me a sad face. "Too bad, and you’re such a polite young man." In a flash she went to the next gentleman that entered the door.

I sauntered over to the bar, ordered a beer and leaned back to take in my surroundings. The heavy velvet drapes held back the sunlight. Two young women sat in a corner, each on a man’s lap, whispering into their ears. I then heard some giggling, and one of the couples lifted themselves from their seat and headed for the stairs.

I must have been more thirsty than I thought, because I had downed the first beer and had already ordered a second, when Jack Wolfe approached me.

"Well, Mr. Cartwright, what brings you here??" Jack had a devilish grin on his face.

I lifted my beer mug and took a long sip. "Just getting some refreshment."

"I didn’t know your daddy let you drink?" Jack placed a cigar in his mouth and lit it, smoke encircled his head.

At first I didn’t know what to say. I sure wasn’t going to tell him that if Pa found out I was drinking I would receive a stern lecture, or worse. So instead I played it off. "I drink all the time, Jack. Just because its not here, doesn’t mean I don’t do it."

"I see." Jack puffed on his cigar. "In that case, how about a game of poker?" Jack waved his hand to the nearest empty table.

I took one last gulp of beer and placed the glass on the bar. All the money I had on me was for the supplies I was to pick up in town. Okay, the way I figure, I could play one quick hand. Surely I wouldn’t lose anything by doing that.

"Sure, J-ack, I’ll play a game." I walked over to the table and took a seat, facing the front of the room.

Jack pulled a deck of cards from the inside of his coat pocket and begain to shuffle them.

He dealt the cards out like a pro, paying close attention to my expression as he did so. We each then put a dollar on the table and the bidding begin.

You know I’m not sure how it happened, but can you believe that I lost almost all the money for the supplies? When I finally got up from the table, I was somewhat shaken. Jack was so kind as the walk me to the door.

"Better luck next time, Cartwright." Jack almost laughed as he pushed me through the doorway.

I stood outside in the dusk, as the sun was beginning to slide behind the mountains. I was slightly disoriented, mostly due to the three more mugs of beer I had drunk. As I looked up and down the street, it occurred to me what my purpose for being in town was.

Everything flooded into my mind like a tidal wave. I was to pick up supplies and be home before dinner. Well, I hadn’t done either, and now I didn’t even have the cash to pay for the things we needed. I simply would have to have Eli put them on the account. The more I look back on today, the more I can’t wait for tomorrow. That’s if I get to live until then.

I hurried down the street to the Trading Post. When I stepped inside, Ruth flew over to me. "Are you all right Adam? We were very worried when you did not come back."

I tried to stand without swaying, not very successfully. "I’m fine, Ruth--I mean, Mrs. Orowitz. I didn’t mean to take so long."

Ruth studied me for a moment. "Adam, have you been drinking?"

I could feel the heat rising into my face. "Ummm....I have to get home, Mrs. Orowitz. Pa’s going to be real worried. Do you have the supplies ready?"

"Eli loaded them into the wagon for you." Mrs. Orowitz took a step to the door.

I tipped my hat. "Can you please put it on our bill?"

"Of course, Adam, if that is what you would like."

"Yes ma’am." I then turned and staggered to the wagon. I hopped up into the seat and with a flick of the reins I was on my way home. The only thing that had gone right today was that I had the supplies.

I went over all my misdeeds in town. Lets see, first I drank, hmmm...no. First, I went to Jack’s hotel. Second, I drank and got drunk. I then gambled, lost all of pa’s money, and on top of that, I wasn’t going to be home in time for supper.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment and pictured the look on my father’s face. I then opened them rather quickly, for I did not like what I saw. Maybe Pa wouldn’t notice that I was late. Ha, he would notice. Well, maybe he won’t smell the beer I drank. Who am I kidding--we are talking about Pa. And then the gambling, how was I going to explain that one? He would surely ask if I had enough money for the supplies. I might be able to skirt around the truth, but I was a horrible liar and I knew it. To get caught in a lie would only make matters worse.

I wondered for a moment what Pa would say or more likely do. Restriction maybe? Extra chores to pay back the money I owed him, that was a given. What else, a lecture? Yep, there would be one of those.

I was still in deep thought when I noticed I was approaching the house. I would not have to wait any longer to find out. As I pulled the wagon to a stop, I saw Pa and my brothers step out onto the front porch. It was dark by now, but I could just picture my father’s face in the darkness.

As I climbed from the wagon seat and begin unhitching the horses, Pa started to approach the wagon.

"Adam? Adam, are you okay, son? Where on earth have you been?" Pa’s face was full of concern.

I tried to gather myself. I knew when I started to speak my words would be slurred. I took a deep breath. "I...ummm....became detained?" I didn’t look up as I spoke.

Pa could sense there was more than what I was saying, "Detained?? How so??" He then stepped closer to me. That’s when he smelled the alcohol that I had drank. His expression changed quickly from concern to almost puzzlement.

"Adam, have you been drinking?"

When I didn’t speak, he grabbed my arm and pulled me to an upright position.

"I asked you a question son. I expect an answer."

I stood straight and tall, as I responded, "Yes, Pa, I had a drink."

"Where?" Pa asked as anger filled his face. He released my arm and his hands flew to his hips.

"Where?" I was surprised by that question. What does it even matter where?

"Yes, Adam, where. I know Shelby won’t serve you unless I am with you. If you didn’t get a drink from Shelby, then if my knowledge is correct, the only other place is Jack’s. And since I forbid you and your brothers from going into that place since the last incident, I was wondering where else you could have gotten a drink." Pa ran his right hand through his hair as he awaited my answer.

Okay, so he had me. I had admitted I had drank. Now I’m going to have to admit to going to Jack’s to get that drink. I had forgotten that he had forbidden us to go there since we snuck out to see that show Jack put on.

Pa normally doesn’t forbid me from doing things. But when it comes to Jack Wolfe, he changed the rules. My brothers and I were absolutely not to go anywhere near Jack Wolfe or his establishment. I wonder what Pa’s going to say when he finds out that I not only went there and drank, but I also gambled.

Pa shifted slightly which brought me back to attention. He was starting to become impatient because I had not yet answered his question.

He finally cleared his throat, "A-dam."

"I went to Jack’s." I blurted the words out.

Pa’s lips formed a straight line. His voice dropped and became real low. "I see. Take care of the horses. We will talk about it in a bit." He then turned and stomped back to the house.

As I watched his retreating back, I started to worry. Why hadn’t I started to worry before I took that first drink? Boy, have I been stupid. I watched as Pa’s figure stepped onto the porch. He and my brothers walked into the house and shut the door behind them.

I hurried to take care of the horses. I didn’t want to keep Pa waiting very long, since I knew he was quite unhappy with me. Not only that, I still had to some way tell him that I had lost the money he gave me to purchase the supplies. As I walked to the house, I kept wishing it was tomorrow, then this horrible day would be over with.

When I stepped into the front door, my family was finishing up their dinner. Hoss and Joe each gave me a look of sympathy, as if I were getting ready to go in front of the firing squad.

"Boys, if you’re finished eating, you can go do your chores." Pa said to Hoss and Joe, even though he was looking at me.

Both answered, "Yes, sir." Then they almost ran from the table. I think they must have been afraid of what was getting ready to happen.

By now I was starting to feel rather sick to my stomach, and my head was pounding. When my siblings had shut the door behind them, Pa motioned for me to come stand in front of him.

"Did you get the supplies?" Pa asked as he pushed his plate away from him.

I shifted, "Umm, yes, sir."

"Did you have enough money to pay for them?"

Uh oh, it was the question I was dreading. Now I was going to have some more explaining to do.

"Yes, sir, I would have if I hadn’t lost it." I talked in a low whisper.

Pa’s eyes became wide, as he cocked his head. "Lost it?"

"Yes, Pa."

"Where did you lose it?"

I licked my lips and thought for a moment. I weighed my options. Lets see, the truth or a lie, the truth or a lie. . .

"A-dam."

Might as well tell the truth. I can’t lie to save my soul. "Jack’s." My answer was simple.

"Jack’s? How did you lose the money at Jack’s?" Pa looked up at me with one of his famous looks.

I rubbed my chin as if I were in great thought. "Gambling?"

Pa flew to his feet. "GAMBLING, at Jack’s?"

I took a large step back. I swear if I were a bit younger, Pa would have pulled me over his knee and paddled me until I sagged.

"Yes, sir," was all I was able to say before Pa interrupted me.

He pointed to the bunk room door. "Go to your room, NOW."

"Pa I can explain." I said as he stepped around me.

"Adam, go to your room. I’m too angry to discuss it now. After you have slept off what liquor you have drank, and after I have calmed down, we will then discuss this. I have a feeling that will be tomorrow." He then grabbed his hat and went out the front door, slamming it behind him.

I swayed for a moment, then did as I was told. I was more than ready to go to bed. As I walked into the bunk room, the nausea overtook me, and I found my self vomiting in the wash basin. When I was finished I sat the basin outside on the front porch. I then got undressed and slid into my bed. You know how I kept wishing for it to be tomorrow? Well, I can sure wait for tomorrow now.

I had started to drift asleep when I heard Hoss and Joe enter the bunk room. They were talking in low whispers.

"Hoss, what do you think he did?" Joe asked Hoss as he slipped of his boots. I heard each boot hit the floor with a thump.

"I don’t know, little brother. But, boy, was pa mad. I’m glad I ain’t in his boots." Hoss’ bed squeaked, telling me he had jumped onto the top bunk.

I then could sense the room getting darker. Joe must have blown out the lamp. All became silent and I went fast asleep.

 

It wasn’t until I awoke the next morning did I really realize how much trouble I was in. As I lay in bed, my eyes opened, and I began to go over the events from the day before.

I then heard a small voice break the silence. "Adam, are you awake?" Joe asked, as he peeked from under his blanket.

"Yeah, I’m awake." When I spoke my head throbbed. I never realized drinking just beer could cause the same effect as whiskey.

Joe sat up in his bed. "What did you do yesterday, Adam? Pa was real, real, real, real, mad."

"Don’t worry about it, Joe. You don’t need to know the details."

Joe tried to act as if he were truly concerned and not being just nosey. "But, Adam, maybe if I knew, I could help ya."

"Joe, nobody can help me right now."

Just then the bunk room door opened. "Boys, time to get up." I heard Pa’s boots retreat out of the room.

I turned and flung my legs over the side of the bunk. As I sat up my head swam. I think I would have rather faced my father last night. At least last night I was feeling somewhat numb, but I’m sure he knew that and that’s why he decided to wait till today to speak to me.

My overly chipper brothers and I went to the table to eat breakfast. One look of those fried eggs--Hop Sing fixed made me want to puke right then and there. Fried eggs, Hop Sing usually fixes scrambled eggs. Was he in cohoots with my father? Was this a type of torture to make me see my errors? Well, if it was, it was working. I had to quickly excuse myself, and I ran all the way to the outhouse.

When I finally returned to the house, looking green I am for sure, my brothers had already finished breakfast and were doing chores. Pa sat at the end of the table sipping his morning coffee. I gently sat back down at my spot, propped my elbows on the table and rested my head in my hands.

"Son, are you not feeling well this morning?" Pa asked in a sarcastic tone, as he set down his coffee cup.

I groaned and lifted my head to look at him. I tried to smile, but I faltered. "No, Pa, I don’t feel well."

"If you’re not going to eat, son, please clean your plate so Hop Sing can finish the rest of the dishes."

"Yes, Pa." I got up from the table and scraped my plate off into a garbage pile. I then handed the plate to Hop Sing and headed for the door.

Pa’s voice stopped me in my tracks, "Adam."

I whirled around to face him. "Yes, Pa?"

He motioned for me to come sit back into my chair. "We need to talk, son."

Hop Sing had finished the dishes, and I noticed he flew out the back door. "I need to go check garden," was all he said as he shut the door behind him.

I walked back over to my empty chair and sat down. "Pa, I know what you’re going to say."

Pa leaned back away from the table and stroked his chin. "You do? Well tell me, son, what was I going to say?"

"You’re going to lecture me about the evils of drink and gambling, then you’re going to tell me that I’m an example for my brothers, and I need to remember that. Once you’re done talking, you’re going to give me some type of horrible punishment, so I will remember the lesson for the rest of my life."

Pa almost grinned, even though he stopped it before it happened. He instead remained as stern as he could. He stood up and paced in front of me for a few moments.

"Stand up." Pa said as he stopped in front of my chair.

As I stood, I thought the pounding in my head was going to cause my eyeballs to pop out. I, however, took control of myself and stood patiently waiting for the impending lecture that was soon to come.

Pa then proceeded to set my ears on fire. He talked about the evils of alcohol and the problems that came with it. He then talked about gambling and how a man can lose everything if he is not careful. Then he reminded me that I am an example for my two younger brothers and I would do well to remember that. He then told me how disappointed he was with me and how he was no longer able to trust me to go into town by myself and with other things..

"Pa, it will never happen again. It was just a mistake."

"Yes, son, its was a mistake, a big one. And now you will have to earn my trust back. I don’t give my trust to just anyone. I will have to see a huge improvement if you want me to trust you again."

All that was left now was whatever punishment my father saw fit. It’s not very often that I am the one in trouble. It is usually one of my brothers, most of the time, Joe.

Pa stood silent for along time. He stood by the window and looked out, watching my two younger brothers doing their chores. I could tell by the way he was rocking back on forth on the heels of his boots that he was trying to think of some dreadful punishment. I knew that he knew that I had a slight hangover, so I was sure he was factoring that into his thoughts.

After what seemed like forever, Pa turned and faced me. "You’re not to go into town without me until further notice, and when you do get to go, you are not to leave my side."

"Yes, Pa."

"Going to town will not be an option anyway. You are restricted to the ranch until I feel I can trust you to be out of my sight."

"Yes, Pa."

"You will do extra chores until every cent you lost to Jack Wolfe has been earned back."

"Yes, Pa."

"Besides your regular chores today, you can help Hoss muck the stalls, and I believe the outhouse needs a good cleaning."

When Pa mentioned the outhouse, my eyes widened. "Pa, can’t the outhouse wait till tomorrow?"

Pa placed his hand in front of his mouth. I’m sure he was hiding a smile. "No sence putting of till tomorrow what can be done today."

Just the thought of cleaning that outhouse house brought on a second wave of sickness. I placed my hand over my mouth and excused myself, "Excuse me, Pa." I then ran out the door and got sick by the back steps.

When I was finished I returned to the house. "Sorry, Pa. My stomach is not feeling so well."

"That’s one more mess you can clean up, son."

I nodded my head and wished I hadn’t. "Yes Pa."

Pa placed his arm around my shoulder and led me to the front door. "You know, Adam, once your chores are finished, I think you should take your little brother fishing."

I slid a look at my father. "Hoss?"

Pa grinned the most devilish grin I ever saw. "Nope. Joseph."

"But, Pa, I thought I was restricted to the ranch."

"You are, unless I say it is okay for you to do something, and I do believe that Joe would love to go fishing with you today."

I moaned, "But, Pa, Joe won’t take his own fish off the hook, and the worms, he makes me help him with them sometimes."

Pa’s grin widened. "Yep, I know, but you can take him and you will."

I stopped walking and stared at my father in complete amazement. He knew what he was doing. He was finding the most horrible, awful things for me to do, to be part of my punishment.

What could I say? I mean, it could have been a lot worse. "Yes, Pa."

"One more thing, son, if I find out you went anywhere near Jack’s again, I’ll have your hide. Do I make myself clear?"

I mumbled, "Yes, sir."

We then walked together out onto the front porch. I stood with my hands over my eyes to shade the sun.

Pa slapped me on the back. "I think you’d best get busy." He then stepped off the porch and headed to the barn.

I stood for a moment, trying to control my throbbing headache and sick stomach. As I stepped off the porch to head to muck the stalls, all I could think about was, I can’t wait for it to be tomorrow.

The End