To Pay the Piper

By Gail G.

 

Rating: G

Disclaimer: I do not own the Cartwright characters.

Thanks to Pam L. for the story idea. Without her, this story would not have been written. Thanks to Marion for her wonderful job of beta reading. Her opinion is worth a thousand words. Also thanks to Sheryl for being my third pair of eyes.

 

"Oh come on, Adam." Joe begged. "You never do anything fun".

Adam glanced over at his little brother. "Joe, Pa would not like you hanging around Shelby’s place."

Joe sighed as they stepped into the small general store. "Aw. . .come on, Adam. If you’re with me Pa ain’t gonna care."

"Isn’t–Pa isn’t going to care." Adam automatically corrected his youngest brothers poor grammar.

"I know I don’t think he will either." Joe said.

Adam rolled his eyes at his brother’s comment. "No, Joe."

Joe started whining, "Adam, you’re such a. . .a. . .well you just ain’t no fun." Joe crossed his arms and stomped over to the other side of the store to admire the toy soldiers.

"Ahh. . .Adam. What can I help you with today?" Mrs. Orowitz asked.

Adam passed Mrs. Orowitz a small list. "Pa asked me to pick these things up for him."

Ruth scanned over the requested items. "Well, this should not take long. I will be back in a moment. I need to step in the back to get these canned peaches. We don’t have anymore on the shelf."

Adam nodded his head. "Sure." He moved over to look at the new selection of books that had arrived. Just as he reached for the first book a loud group of men entered the store. Adam looked up and realized that he recognized one of the men as Seth Peterson.

Adam and Seth at one time had been very good friends, but then Seth started to hang with a group of men that Ben did not approve of and their friendship slowly deteriorated.

"Well if it isn’t Adam Cartwright." Seth announced to his companions. Two of the other men grinned devilishly as Adam crossed his arms and stepped forward.

"Seth." Adam said, in a flat tone.

Joe had finished looking at the toys and ran back over to his brother. "Hey, Adam. Did you change ya mind?"

"No, Joe. We are not going over there to that poker game. Pa would have a fit."

Seth and his group started to laugh. "Oh, Adam. Just like old times. Ya still afraid of your daddy?"

Adam’s chest puffed up a bit. "No I’m not afraid of my father. However, I respect him enough to do as he ask."

"Well whatever you want to call it Cartwright, you’re not brave enough to even go to Shelby’s to have a drink and watch a poker game. I bet you’ve never even played poker." Seth taunted as he started to walk around the store.

Adam was about to retaliate when Mrs. Orowitz come back into the room a can of peaches in each hand. "Is everything all right here?" She asked, as she eyed the group of young men.

"Every thing is fine, Mrs. Orowitz." Adam moved over to the counter to pay for the supplies.

Ruth accepted the money and gave Adam his change. "Is there anything I can help you boys with?"

"Naw, we were just leavin’." Seth tipped his hat at Ruth and headed for the door.

Ruth relaxed as the group left the store. "I do not know why, Adam, but I do not trust that group of young men."

Adam raised his eyebrow as he lifted the box from the counter. "I think I know exactly what you mean. Come on, Joe."

"Good day, Mrs. Orowitz." Adam and Joe went outside and loaded the crate into the wagon.

"Adam?"

"Yes, Joe."

"Can’t we just go take one peek? I mean I just wanna see what a card sharp looks like. Please?" Joe tugged on Adam’s arm.

Adam sighed. "All right. But you can’t say a word to Pa. He would have a few things to say about us going into Shelby’s. We can only stay for a minute." Adam grabbed Joe by the arm and dragged him across the street. They pushed their way inside of the shabby establishment.

Adam was surprised at the crowd inside the saloon. Shelby had lost most of her business to Jack Wolf when he opened his hotel.

"Hey, Adam. Ya can’t be bringin’ that youngin’ in here." Shelby called from the bar as she poured a whiskey for a man who looked as if he had not bathed for a month.

"We’ll be leaving in a second, Shelby." Adam placed his hand on Joe’s back and pushed him through the crowd before the young woman could protest.

Before they knew it they were standing right in front of the table where the ‘big game’ was being played. Adam noticed Seth and his friends standing on the opposite side of the table. "Well there he is, Joe." Adam pointed to a man dressed in a three-piece suit.

Joe’s eyes widened as he spoke low. "Wow, Adam. I never knew a card player wore a suit. Can we watch for a few minutes?"

"Okay. Just a few minutes." They turned their attention to the game before them. The crowd watched as the new card player beat one opponent after the next.

Finally, Shelby announced that the games where done for the afternoon and there was a sign up sheet for new players tomorrow. "The fee to sign up to play Mr. Vickers is only one gold dollar."

Seth pushed his way by Adam and went to sign up to take on the man tomorrow night. "Ya, game, Cartwright?" Seth said. "Or ya too afraid?"

Joe tugged Adam’s arm. "Come on, Adam. You can beat that man. Come on. . .sign up."

"No, Joe. Come on, we have to get home. We’re very late." Adam pushed Joe to the door.

"Joe, wait right here. I. . ummm. . .forgot something." Adam stood for a moment, thinking about all the teasing he had received and decided that he had to prove to everyone that he was his own man and he made his own decisions. He turned and walked back into the saloon. Adam saw Joe duck his head inside, but decided to ignore him as he walked over to the sign up sheet. He took a deep breath, handed Shelby a dollar then signed on the line below Seth’s name.

Shelby stood stunned, as did most of the people inside. Most of them knew Ben Cartwright and knew he would not approve of what was going on with his eldest son.

"Adam!" Shelby’s voice broke the silence.

Adam turned to look at her. "Yes, Shelby?"

"Well ya know you need money to gamble with. Right?"

Adam nodded. "Sure, Shelby. I have money, don’t worry." Adam did indeed have money. He had over a hundred dollars hidden away. This money was supposed to be for his college education. But it was his money nonetheless–and he could spend it in anyway he wanted.

Adam noticed Joe’s head still sticking under the swinging doors a shocked look on his face. Joe turned and ran ahead to the wagon and hopped onto the wooden seat. Adam approached the wagon and Joe immediately started to ask questions. "Adam you really got money?"

"Yes I do, Joe." Adam too climbed upon the seat and picked up the reins. "You shouldn’t have been eavesdropping. But since you know, we need to keep this to ourselves. We best not tell Pa about this. Okay, Joe?"

"Sure, Adam. I won’t say a word. But what are we gonna tell Pa about us being home so late? I mean we were in there for a long while." Joe shifted as Adam flicked the reins.

Adam glanced over at his little brother. "Don’t worry about it, Joe. I’ll take care of everything."

The duo was now heading home. Joe couldn’t sit still from all the excitement he had witnessed, while Adam was lost in thought–trying to think of a good reason as to why they were late.

Sure enough when they pulled into the yard, Ben was standing on the porch his hands placed firmly on his hips.

Adam glanced at Joe as Joe glanced at Adam. "Adam, Pa sure looks mad." Joe said, as his big brother brought the wagon to a stop in front of the barn.

"Don’t worry about, Little Joe. I’ll explain everything."

In a flash Ben was standing only inches away from the now still wagon. He started pointing at his two sons. His face was red and that vein in his neck was throbbing something awful. "Would you like to tell me where you have been?" Each word was pronounced with great care.

Joe flew to his feet. "Pa, we can explain!"

Adam lifted his arm and pushed Joe back into his seat. "Pa, I’ll explain everything after we take care of the horses." He jumped from the wagon and lifted Joe to the ground.

As he turned to head to the barn, Ben stopped them in their tracks. "You’ll explain, NOW."

Adam cringed as Joe slid behind his big brother. "Pa, you know we have to care for the hors–."

Adam’s statement was cut short. "Hoss can care for the horses. Get the supplies and come in the house."

Joe and Adam answered in unison, "Yes, sir," as Hoss stepped out of the barn and took the reins.

Adam could feel his father’s eyes on him as he lifted the crate from the back of the wagon. The boys walked toward the house. Adam’s eyes were squinted and his nose was wrinkled as he tried to think of a good explanation. Joe, on the other hand, had his eyebrows furrowed and his lips twisted to one side. Adam looked up and Ben was frowning at them from a short distance. The two quickened their pace until they reached the house.

Ben opened the door and pointed inside. Adam sighed as he stepped through the doorway and placed the box of supplies on the table. Joe was more cautious as he walked by his father. He turned so that his backside was facing away from Ben, sliding carefully inside giving his father a sheepish grin as he did so.

"Where’s Hop Sing?" Adam asked, as Ben stepped inside and carefully shut the door behind him.

"He went to visit some friends. He will be home soon." Ben moved over and stood in front of the fireplace. He motioned for his sons to join him. They slid each other one of those quick ‘brotherly’ looks, and went to stand in front of Ben.

Adam watched as Ben stood silent and studied him and Joe with great interest. He was sure that he was trying to figure out why they were so late. Adam glanced over at Joe. He was no dirtier than normal, so Pa didn’t really have any reason to expect anything had happened. Adam did notice, however; that Joe stood with his back rigid and his eyes focused on his boots.

Adam stood trying to look as innocent as possible. He was not succeeding in his efforts; he too stood with his back rigid and he kept running his hand through his raven hair. Every once in awhile he would stop and tug on his ear, a clue that he was nervous. He was just hoping that Pa wouldn’t notice what he was doing. Adam knew his father would soon start to ask questions. He also knew that his father understood that sometimes it would be easier to catch a fly between your teeth than to get information from his children.

"Would you like to explain why you are three hours late?" Ben placed his arms over his broad chest.

Adam’s eyes widened and he was about to answer when Ben interrupted him by holding up his hand. "Joseph, why were you and your brother so late?"

Joe looked up at Adam then quickly back to his father as he shifted from foot to foot. "Well. . .ummm. . .you see, Pa. . .umm–."

Adam butted in, "We were detained, Pa."

Ben raised an eyebrow. "I was speaking to your brother. I’ll speak to you in a moment." Adam took in a deep breath as Ben turned his attention back to Joseph.

"What Adam said. We were de. . de. . .tamed." Joe said, as he looked nervously around the room.

Ben shifted. "Well what detained you?"

Joe cocked his head to one side and started to think hard. "Pa? Can I ask you a question?"

Ben closed his eyes for a moment. "Yes, Joseph."

"What does de. . .de . .de–."

Ben interrupted this time. "Detained."

"Yeah, Pa. What does that word mean?" Joe asked, a serious look on his face.

Ben waved a hand at his eldest son. "Adam, please tell your brother what it means."

Adam slid his blue eyes in the direction of his little brother. "It means to be kept back so that you can’t move on."

Joe was even more puzzled than before and Ben could see it in his eyes. "Adam, why were you detained?" Ben asked, as he watched Joe relax.

"Well, I ran into an old friend. We chatted for a bit." Adam blurted out the answer. It wasn’t the whole truth but it was not a lie.

Ben squinted his eyes. "For three hours?"

"Well no, sir. We chatted for a bit, then as we were leaving town I ran into the same friend a second time. So we stopped to chat again."

"I see. Well Hoss had to do your afternoon and evening chores. I think perhaps you both owe him a thank you. And you both may do all of his chores tomorrow and the next day for that matter. Now go get washed up for supper." Ben spoke in a firm tone as he headed for the door.

Before he stepped outside he turned to his oldest and youngest sons. "Please put those supplies away and set the table."

Joe moaned as Adam answered with a "yes, Pa." Ben disappeared into the early evening dusk.

Adam whirled Joe around. "Why are you moaning? We got off easy, Pa could have found a much worse punishment for us."

"I guess you’re right. He could have. . ." Joe gulped, "spanked me. You’re lucky Adam you’re too old to get spanked."

Adam moved to the crate and started to unload the contents that were inside. "Well, Joe, I sure hope I am."

Joe sniggered. "Sure you are, Adam. You’re a grownup, like Pa."

"Well little brother, sometimes it doesn’t matter how old you are. If you act like a child Pa will treat you like one." Adam winked at his little brother as he handed him a can of peaches to put on the shelf.

"Adam? How old were you when you got your last real tanning? I don’t mean the swats you got when you started the food fight or when we snuck in to see that show. But you know, a real tanning?" Joe questioned.

"Hmmmm. . .lets see. I suppose I was sixteen or seventeen. Why?"

Joe piped up. "Ya mean I have all those years of tannings left?!"

Adam grinned. "You sure do little brother. So if I were you, I’d behave. Come on Joe, let’s get the table set and these supplies put away before we find out if Pa thinks we aren’t too old for that spanking."

Joe started to move a bit faster and when Ben and Hoss come back into the small house, the chores were done.

Hoss went to the wash basin and washed his hands. "Mmmm. . . . mmmmm. . .what’s for supper, Pa?"

Ben waited for his son to finish so he could clean his own hands. "Hop Sing left us some stew and fresh bread. I think he even left some apple pie for dessert."

The family sat down and enjoyed the meal that Hop Sing had left for them. Ben informed Hoss that Adam and Joe would be doing his chores tomorrow and the next day also.

Hoss started to make all sorts of plans. He was so excited to have some time to himself he didn’t even know what to say. Joe sat at the table and rolled his eyes while Adam sighed deeply.

"Do you two have something to say?" Ben lifted his spoon to his mouth.

"No, Pa." Joe said, quickly.

"No, sir, I don’t have a thing to say." Adam looked down into his bowl.

After dinner, Ben had Joe and Adam wash and dry the dishes. When the dishes were done Hoss and Joe sat at the table and played a game of checkers, while Ben started to look over the ledgers. Adam sat in the chair beside the fire and pretended to be reading. He was, however trying to think of a way to get to town tomorrow.

Later that night as the boys lay in bed, Joe started to talk about the days events. "Adam, you really going to go through with it?"

Joe could hear Adam sigh in the darkness. "Yep, I’m gonna do it."

Hoss’ mattress could be heard creaking as he turned over to face the sounds of his brothers voices. "Whatcha gonna do, Adam?"

"Hoss, you don’t even want to know." Adam pulled his blankets up to his chin and closed his eyes in an effort to get some sleep.

Hoss’ voice again broke the peaceful nights air. "Sure I want to know. Joe, what’s big brother gonna do?"

Joe cleared his throat and was getting ready to explain what had taken place in town, when the bunkroom door opened.

"Boys, less talk and more sleep please." Ben stood in the doorway, the light from the living area shining in around him making him, look somewhat like an angel.

Adam did not speak but Hoss and Joe mumbled ‘yes, Pa." They both turned over to try to get some rest. Of course, Hoss couldn’t go to sleep he was too busy trying to figure out what big brother was up to.

 

The next morning Joe and Adam did chores; theirs and Hoss’. Hoss spent a nice day relaxing in the sun fishing down at the lake.

Adam watched as Hoss rode into the yard, smiling from ear to ear, a string of fish hanging from the side of his saddle.

"Hey, Adam." Hoss pulled his horse to a stop in front of his older brother.

Adam smiled. "Hey yourself." He reached out and took Hoss’ reins.

Hoss jumped in, "Ya don’t have to take care of Chubb for me, I can do it myself."

"Well you have to go take care of those fish." Adam turned to go into the barn. Hoss was just walking away when he heard Adam call for him.

"Yeah?" Hoss whirled around and was surprised to see his older brother standing only inches away.

Adam ran his hand through his hair. "Hoss, you have to do a favor for me. Will you?"

Hoss licked his lips before he spoke "I don’t know. What is it, first?"

"I need you to cover for me. Will you do it or not?"

"What’s goin’ on, Adam? Cover for you for what?" Hoss propped his hands on his hips.

"Look, the less you know the better off you are. I need to go into town tonight and I don’t think Pa will approve." Adam explained.

"Ya gonna ask him?"

Adam shifted a bit, "sure I am. But if he says no, I’m going to sneak out. Hoss, I’ll explain all of this later. Will you do it or not?"

"Does this have anything to do with what Joe was talking about in the bunkroom?" Hoss reached up and tugged on the brim of his hat.

"Yes it does. But I can’t tell you right now. Will you cover for me or not? I don’t think there will even be a need for you to say anything. We will all go to bed like always and after Pa checks on us, I’ll leave."

Hoss threw his hands up in the air. "Fine. . .you’re not in any trouble are you?"

"No. . .no, I’m not." Adam answered. "Not yet anyways," he mumbled under his breath.

Adam went back into the barn and took care of Chubb while Hoss finished the chore of gutting and scaling his catch for the day.

Later that day Adam and Joe again did chores. Hop Sing served a dinner of fried fish and mashed potatoes. Adam passed on the potatoes, for they were now one of his least favorite foods. Joe and Hoss; however, devoured the feast, including Adam’s share.

The family spent the evening sitting around the living area, reading, playing checkers, and going over the tasks for tomorrow. Adam suddenly changed the subject, "Pa?"

"Hmm. . .hmmm?" Ben looked over the edge of the paper he was reading.

"Can I . . .I mean, may I go into town tonight?" Adam could tell his voice was too eager.

Ben folded the paper and placed it carefully on the table in front of the settee. "To town? Why do you need to go to town?"

Adam could feel four sets of eyes upon him as he searched for a suitable answer. "I really can’t say, Pa. I just thought I’d like to get away."

Ben rubbed his chin in great thought. "I see. Well you can ‘get away’ tomorrow, when you go check on the cattle in the south pasture."

"Is that a ‘no’, Pa?" Adam asked.

"I would prefer that you stay home, son. As a matter of fact, I would prefer that you all stay near the ranch. When I rode out to the Murray place earlier, Mr. Murray was telling me there is some big poker game going on at Shelby’s. You never know what type of crowd that will draw."

Adam noticed as his father spoke the words that he took time to look at each of his sons to make sure they were listening to him.

"Joseph, you are clear that you are not to go to town?" Ben asked, as he reached for his pipe that was lying on the side table.

"Yes, Pa. I understand." Joe said, as Hoss’ jumped two more of his checkers.

"I’m sure I don’t need to remind you, do I, Hoss? Adam?"

"No, Pa." Hoss took the two checkers off the board and placed them on the large pile to the side.

Adam glanced at Hoss, who slightly shrugged his shoulders. "Yes, Pa. You would prefer that I not go to town."

Ben nodded as he rose from the chair, the unlit pipe still in his hand. He laid the pipe back on the side table. "I think I’ll turn in, boys. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." The trio answered in unison.

Adam felt luck was on his side. Pa was going to go to bed early so he would not be in later to check on them. "I think we all need to turn in. What do you think, Hoss?" Adam winked as his middle brother looked up at him.

"Yeah, yeah. Good idea, brother," Hoss stifled a yawn. "I’m real tired. Come on, Joe. Let’s get to bed."

Joe stared at his brothers as if they had completely lost all their senses. "Are ya crazy? I’m not even tired."

Hoss reached over and grabbed Joe by the arm. "Come on, Joe, it’s bedtime."

Joe sighed dramatically. "I don’t see why I have to go to bed if’n I ain’t tired."

"You are tired, Joe. As soon as you lie down you will be fast asleep. Now come on." Adam grabbed his youngest brothers other arm and together they dragged him to the bunkroom.

Soon all three were tucked in their beds. Adam had been right; as soon as Joe’s head hit the pillow he was sound asleep. Adam lay for the longest time in his bunk. He wanted to make sure Ben was asleep before he made his move.

Finally, when he heard the loud snores of his middle brother he felt it was safe. He slid out of bed and dressed as quietly as he could. He silently moved over to the chair in the corner of the room and lifted it out of his way. He stepped on the planks of the floor until he found the one that was loose. He bent and lifted the plank slick as a whistle and slid his hand into the darkened area. When he removed his hand he was holding a large roll of money.

Adam knew it was well over a hundred dollars. He was hoping that before the night was over he would be doubling that amount. At the same time, he would show Seth that he was just as manly as he was, if not more. He would prove to Joe that he could be just as fun as the next man; heck, he would prove to the whole town that he was not afraid of his father.

Adam went out the bunkroom door that faced the porch. He stepped into the chilling night air and almost thought about turning to go back to retrieve his jacket. But he decided the risk was too great. When he reached town he would have a beer or two and that would warm him right up.

He headed for the barn and saddled Beauty taking extra care to talk to her as he did so. It was late and dark; normally she would be standing in her stall preparing herself for a restful night.

Adam swung his leg over his trusting friend. He picked up the reins and with a quick flick was on his way to what he was hoping would be the most exciting evening of his life.

 

A couple of hours later Adam arrived in Eagle Station. The normally silent streets were full of people, most of who were hurrying to Shelby's saloon. Adam reined Beauty to a stop in front of the building. The saloon was so full that people were waiting to get inside the door. Adam slid out of his saddle, his heart beating wildly at what he was getting ready to do. He tied his horse to the hitching post beside the dusty planked sidewalk and then pushed his way inside the crowded building.

"Well, well if it ain’t Adam Cartwright." Seth’s voice carried over the sounds in the small room.

Adam took off his hat as the room became quiet. "I told you I would be here. I paid a dollar to be in the contest and I have every intention of winning."

Adam slid his eyes over to Shelby who in turned winked at the young man. "Are we going to play or not?" Adam walked to the table and slid into the empty chair. He nervously looked around the table as he smiled weakly.

There was a man by the name of Waldo Jackson Henderson; he was supposedly this wonderful, unbeatable card player. Then there was Seth, a young cowboy he had never met, Mr. Jack Wolf and himself.

Jack reached across the table and held out his hand for Adam to shake. "Adam, I’m surprised that Ben allowed his son to be in such a competition."

"I’m old enough to make my own decisions, Jack." Adam scowled.

Jack raised an eyebrow. "I see. So I take it your daddy don’t know you’re here?"

Adam quickly replied. "It doesn’t matter. I paid my dollar and I have money to bet with. Are we going to play or not?"

Jack sat back in his chair, a devilish grin across his face. "We’re gonna play–deal the cards Mr. Henderson."

Adam watched in amazement as Mr. Henderson shuffled the cards. He could twirl the cards between his fingers and do tricks that Adam had never seen before.

He dealt the cards around the table and the game was on. At first it started out slow. Jack won a hand, then Mr. Henderson, then Jack again. Seth won two in a row and finally Adam won a hand. Playing cards was not as simple as he thought it would be. It was well into the night as the game continued.

The young cowboy had run out of funds and had pulled out of the game. Jack Wolf too had decided that he had lost enough money. This left Mr. Henderson, Seth and Adam.

Adam was down to his last twenty dollars, when the next hand started. He was quickly disappointed when Mr. Henderson made a bid that he could not match and was forced to fold his hand.

"Seth? Could you loan me twenty dollars?" Adam asked, casually.

Seth passed Adam twenty dollars in gold pieces. "Sure, Adam. Will seem odd havin’ a Cartwright owe me money."

"Thank you. I’ll give it back as soon as I win this hand." Adam proceeded with his bidding only to be disappointed in the end. Mr. Henderson ended up with the better hand. Adam took a deep breath and stood from the table. He could not believe what had just happened. Not only did he lose one hundred dollars that he had been saving for school; he now owed Seth twenty dollars.

Adam picked his hat up from the table and slunk away defeated.

"Adam, ya okay?" Shelby asked.

Adam made his way to the bar. "Shelby, I. . .I don’t know what went wrong. I should have won."

"What ya should’ve done is not played with no professional." Shelby picked up a shot glass and poured some whiskey into it. Adam reached for the glass and Shelby jerked back her hand.

"No way, Adam. I ain’t servin’ ya nothin’ but coffee or water."

Adam realized that some of the men were snickering at the scene before them and he could feel his cheeks getting hot. He was sure that his face was as red as fresh picked apples. With what little bit of pride that he had left, Adam straightened his shoulders and marched out of the building into the dusty street.

He untied his horse and hopped onto her back. He turned her toward the road for home and with a slight nudge they were on their way.

Adam was in deep thought all the way. What on earth was he going to do? Well Pa didn’t have to know anything about the card game or that he had lost the money that he had saved. He could just start saving again. He first, however; had to come up with a way to pay Seth back his money. Adam had a bad feeling that he would not wait long for payment.

Adam noticed that the moon had pushed its way from behind a night cloud as he rode into the yard. He quietly dismounted his horse and led her into the barn. Quick as lightning he unsaddled her and brushed her down. He also gave her some feed for her extra night’s work. Adam strolled to the house and without a sound he slipped into the door that took him directly into the bunkroom.

Hoss was snoring as loud as he was when Adam had left several hours before. Joe had kicked his blankets to the floor and was now curled up in a small ball trying to get warm. Adam sat on the edge of his bed and slid off his boots. He picked up Joe’s blankets and tucked them tightly around his little brother.

Adam moved back to his own bunk and lay down. He rested his arms above his head as he tried to go to sleep. Whenever he closed his eyes, he could see the poker game in front of him. He could see Seth’s face smirking at him when he lost his last twenty dollars, he could see Pa’s face if he were to ever find out what he did.

Adam finally fell into a restless slumber, only to be awakened a couple hours later to begin what would be a very long day.

"Adam. . .Adam? Ya gonna get up? Pa’s done called for you two times." Joe stood over his brother shaking him with all his might.

"I’ll raise you ten dollars." Adam blurted out before he realized what was going on.

Joe stood with a puzzled look on his face. "What are you talking ‘bout, Adam? Pa wants you in there for breakfast and now."

Adam sat up quickly. "I must have been dreaming." He said, as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

Joe shrugged his shoulder. "Well wake up or you’re gonna miss breakfast." Joe turned and headed back for the breakfast table.

Adam sat for a moment so he could pull his thoughts together. No one knew he went to town last night, except for Hoss. Pa would never know what happened if he just kept himself pulled together. He stood and put on his pants before he moved over to the washbasin and splashed some water on his face.

"ADAM!" Ben’s voice echoed into the bunkroom.

Adam hurried his pace a bit, combing his hair and putting on his shirt. He buttoned it on the way to the table.

"Sorry, Pa." Adam said, as he found his spot.

Ben studied his eldest son. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, Pa. I feel fine." Adam scooped some eggs onto his plate.

"Well it’s not like you to oversleep. You’re sure everything is alright?" Ben asked, before bringing his coffee cup to his lips.

"Yes, Pa. I was just a bit tired I suppose." Adam glanced over at Hoss who was staring at his plate.

"Well, now that you three are awake, we need to get started. Adam, you and Hoss are to go out to the south pasture and check the cattle. Joseph and I will take care of the chores, while you two are gone." Adam watched as Ben took his last bite of eggs. He rose from the table and headed for the door. "Come along, Little Joe."

Joe jumped up and ran for the door. Adam grinned to himself as his father grabbed Joe’s arm before he was able to dart out the door. Ben pointed to the jackets hanging on the pegs and Adam saw Joe sigh deeply as he removed his jacket from the peg and put it on. Joe and Ben stepped out onto the porch softly closing the door behind them.

Adam took one last bite of his eggs before speaking. "Hoss, do you have any money I can borrow?"

"How come? Did you lose last night?"

"I don’t even want to talk about it. Not only did I lose, I owe Seth Peterson twenty dollars that I don’t have." Adam rose from the table and Hoss followed behind.

"Well I got around three dollars, Adam. But nowhere near what you need. You’re welcome to it if’n it will help."

"I need a lot more than three dollars. Thanks anyway, Hoss." Adam and Hoss walked to the barn and saddled their horses. They spent a long day out at the south pasture checking on the cattle and rounding up the strays.

Adam and Hoss headed for home when their tasks where finished. When they rode into the yard Adam immediately noticed a horse tied in front of the house.

As they slid off their horses and walked into the barn, Joe ran in. "Hey, Adam! Ya have some company. Pa told me to come take care of Beauty for ya."

"I do? Who is it?" Adam asked, as he handed the reins to his little brother.

Joe thought for a moment. "It’s Seth Peterson."

Adam’s mouth dropped open. "Seth? What is he doing here?"

"Don’t know. I was out here doin’ chores when he showed up. Then when I got finished I went inside and Pa told me to come sit out on the porch and watch for you to come home. Then Pa said I was to take care of your horse and you were to come in the house."

Hoss jumped into the conversation. "Adam, ya don’t think Pa knows, do you?"

Adam slid his worried eyes in his middle brother’s direction. "Oh yeah, I have a feeling that Seth most likely has filled Pa in on all the details."

All three boys jumped when they heard their father’s voice in the distance. "ADAM!"

"Boy, Adam, you must be in big trouble. Does it have somethin’ to do with that poker game?" Joe questioned.

"Never mind, Joe." Adam took a deep breath and stepped out into the sunlight. "Yes, Pa?"

"Come into the house, please. NOW!" Ben spoke firmly. Adam watched his father’s retreating back as he took his first step toward the porch.

 

Adam whipped off his hat as he stepped inside the house. Ben was standing in front of the fireplace his thumbs hooked into his pants pocket. Seth was sitting on the settee and when Adam closed the door Seth turned so he could see him better.

Adam took a few steps into the room, Ben glaring at him as he did so. "Did you need me, sir?"

Adam looked closely at his father’s face. He was trying to determine how much Seth had told him. Ben’s eyes were dark and his lips formed a perfect straight line. Also that vein that all the boys watched was pounding out of control. Oh no, it looks like Seth told him everything, Adam thought to himself.

Finally Ben’s voice broke the silence. "Do you owe Seth twenty dollars or not?"

Adam swallowed hard as he reached up and ran his hand down his face. "Yes, Pa, I do."

Ben simply nodded as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He fished around until he found the amount that his son owed Seth.

Seth took the money and stood. "Well thank you kindly, Mr. Cartwright. I wouldn’t have bothered you, but Adam said he would pay me back last night when he won that last hand. When he didn’t win he left without a word."

"It’s not a problem at all, Seth." Ben said, as he walked the young man to the door.

Seth turned and gave Adam a cocky smile. "See ya later, Cartwright." He chuckled lightly and was on his way.

Ben turned and took a small step forward. "I suppose what Seth tells me is true?"

"I don't know, sir. Could you tell me what Seth did say?" Adam moved to stand in from of his father at Bens request.

Ben propped his hands on his hips. "Did you leave the house last night to go into town?"

Adam was getting ready to answer when they heard Joe screaming out in the yard. Adam watched in silence as Ben walked to the door and called to his two brothers.

"Boys, I think we need some wood chopped." Ben said, as he took a step onto the front porch. "And let go of your brother, Eric."

Hoss released his little brother. "Yes, Pa." The boys answered together. Adam glanced past his father catching a glimpse of his brothers heading for the woodpile.

Ben turned and came back into the house. When the door shut again Adam turned his attention back to the question he had been asked. "Yes, sir. I left the house last night."

"Adam, go to your room. We will discuss this in a bit." Ben pointed to the bunkroom.

"Pa. . .you can’t be serious. Don’t you think I’m a bit old to be sent to my room?"

"Don’t you think you’re a bit old to be sneaking out of the house to go into town? Don’t you think you’re a bit old to disobey me? Now, I said to go to your room. I’ll be back in a few minutes and I expect you to be where I’ve sent you." Ben yanked his hat off the peg and stomped out the house.

Adam was stunned as he stood in the now empty room. He turned slowly with his head hanging low and went into his room to await his father’s return.

Adam lay on his bed and tried to figure out how he got into the mess in the first place. If he remembered correctly it started because Joe said he was no fun. Then there was Seth saying that Adam was afraid of his father. He just had to prove to Seth that he wasn’t. Well he had never been afraid of Ben; however, he had worried a time or two about what his father would do when he misbehaved.

Adam felt like he was the same age as Little Joe as he waited for Ben to return to decide his fate. Adam thought back to yesterday. He and Joe had discussed that he was too old for a spanking. Now he was beginning to wonder if he was correct.

It was a half hour before Adam finally heard the front door open. He knew how long it was exactly, because he had spent the time staring at his watch. The silence had been almost unbearable. He even had started to wonder where in the world Hoss and Joe were.

Adam listened as heavy footsteps came across the living room and stopped in front of his doorway. He took a deep breath preparing himself for the lecture that he knew was coming.

The bunkroom door slowly opened and Ben stepped inside. Adam studied his father for a moment before standing. At first Ben didn’t say a word, he stood with his arms crossed and a frown on his face. Adam could see the disappointment in his father’s eyes. He hated to disappoint his father, but he knew he had this time, just by the look of his father’s composure.

The silence was broken by Ben’s gruff voice. "Why would you sneak to town when I had clearly told you not to go there?"

"Pa, you never said I couldn’t go. You just said you would prefer that I didn’t, so I decided I’d go." Adam’s eyes widened when Ben’s frown became deeper.

"I would expect one of your brothers to give me such an excuse, but not you, young man. I’m very disappointed with your behavior."

"But, Pa. . .I can explain everyth--" Adam’s next statement was cut short.

"You can explain why you were gambling? You can explain why you snuck out of the house? If you thought that gambling would be alright, why did you not tell me why you wanted to go into town in the first place?" Adam watched his father closely as Pa shook his finger in Adam’s face.

"Pa, you don’t understand. I had to prove that I could have some fun, then there was Seth I just had to show him that I wasn’t afraid of my fath. . ." Adam didn’t finish his statement.

"You had to prove that you weren't afraid of what, Adam?" Ben raised his eyebrows high while he awaited his son's answer.

"Pa, I didn't mean it like that, sir. I'm mean, I'm not afraid of you. No. . .no . . .let me rephrase that. I'm not afraid of you, Pa. Only of, well. . .what you can do. Am I making any sense at all?" Adam sighed.

"How much did you lose?" Ben asked, in a dangerous tone.

Adam shifted, "Sir?"

"You heard the question."

Adam looked down at the floor. He heard his father take a step closer. He felt his father lifting his chin so that he was now looking him in the eye.

"A-dam." Ben said.

Adam recognized the tone immediately. When he had been a little boy and his father used that tone of voice, it normally would lead to a spanking. Surely it would not be the same for him today.

"A little over a hundred dollars, Pa" Adam stuttered.

"A HUNDRED DOLLARS!" Ben yelled. "Where on earth did you get that kind of money?"

Adam licked his lips. "It was the money I had put back for school, Pa. Well, except the twenty dollars that I borrowed from Seth."

Adam stood silent as he watched his father pace around the small room. He felt himself shrink when Ben finally stopped in front of him.

"Adam Cartwright, I, for once in my life don't know what to say. I can't believe that my responsible twenty-one year old son, snuck into town, gambled, borrowed money from the likes of Seth Peterson, and then just told me he lost the hundred dollars that he had been saving for the last three years for college. I'm not sure who you are at the moment, son. I can say that I'm disappointed in all the wrong decisions you've made in the last couple of days. And I'm not sure how I'll be able to trust you in the future. If this had been Joseph or even Hoss I would drag you to the barn and give you a reminder of what happens when you are disobedient and disrespectful."

Adam felt ashamed from the top of his head to the very tip of his toes. Losing his father’s trust was worse than any tanning he could ever receive in his whole life. "Pa, I’m sorry, sir."

"You should be." Ben stalked out of the room, leaving his son standing dazed.

Adam stood for a bit unsure what he should do. His father didn’t say he could leave his room, but he didn’t say he had to stay there either. Adam walked over to the window. He stared out into the massive green yard. A few moments later Adam watched his father gallop away from the Ponderosa.

Adam decided that it would be best if he stayed in his room until he was given permission to leave. He moved over to his bunk and lay down. He must have fallen asleep because the next thing he knew, Ben was in the bunkroom telling him to get up.

"Pa, what’s going on?" Adam asked as he sat up on the side of his bed.

Ben handed Adam his jacket. "We’re going to town."

"How come, Pa?" Adam asked, as he stood and pulled on his jacket. "What I mean, sir, is it is getting rather late. Why would we be going into town?"

"I intend on winning back some of your money." Ben walked to the door and held it open for Adam.

"What?" Adam asked in a shocked tone, "you can’t be serious, Pa."

Adam studied Ben’s face and decided by the stern look that he was quite serious. Adam followed Ben to the barn, where their horses were already saddled for them.

Adam simply shrugged his shoulders as he mounted his horse. "Pa, you sure we should be doing this?"

"Well do you know a better way to get back your money?" Ben asked.

Adam shifted in his saddle. "Umm. . .no, sir. I don’t."

The two men road into town in complete silence. Adam listened to the wind as it swept across the tall pine trees. In the distance he could hear the hooting of an owl and the faint sounds of creatures hopping in the brush.

As they got closer to town, Adam could hear the laughter of people in the distant saloon. They stopped their horses in front of the building. They slid off their mounts and tied them to the post in front.

Adam followed his father inside the crowded establishment. Ben tipped his hat at Shelby as he headed for the table in which the poker games were being held.

"Sam." Ben said, bluntly. Sam was a local miner that Adam had seen once or twice in town.

Adam watched as Sam nodded his head at his father. Ben went around the table shaking the hands of the other players. Adam had seen all these people in town on occasion, but he really didn’t know them well.

To Adam’s surprise Ben pulled the empty chair from under the table and sat down. Ben reached into his pocket and pulled out a wad of money.

"Pa, what are you doing? Where did you get all the money?" Adam’s eyes were large as he stood by his father’s shoulder.

Ben waved his hand at his son. "Never you mind, son. I’ll take care of this." Ben tossed a coin onto the table.

Sam dealt the cards while the onlookers watched in fascination. At first Ben did rather well, but then his luck started to change and within a couple of hours he had lost all his money.

"Looks like your luck ran out." Sam smiled an evil grin.

Adam sighed and turned to leave when he heard his father speak. "No, Sam. I have something else. I will bet the Ponderosa."

Adam stopped in his tracks as everyone in the room gasped. He turned and stepped closer to the table. "Pa! What are you doing?"

"I’m getting our money and my money back, Adam." Ben explained.

Adam placed his hand on his father’s shoulder. "Pa, you can’t use the Ponderosa! What if you lose?"

"Well, we will deal with that situation if it happens. But I feel real lucky, son." Ben picked up the cards in front of him and the game was on.

Adam watch closely as the stakes became higher and higher. Ben even wagered some of the cattle so he could stay in the game. Finally it came to the end of the game and the players showed their cards. To Adam’s disbelief, Sam, the local miner had just won the Ponderosa.

Adam staggered a bit. He stood with his mouth hanging open in amazement. "Pa. . .Pa. . .you. . .just. . .you. . .just. . .oh my gosh." Adam made his way to a chair and took a seat. He felt his heart pounding in his chest. He felt as if he were going to pass out.

Ben rose from the table and Adam watched as his father shook each person’s hand. He wondered to himself why his father was thanking them for winning the Ponderosa.

Adam felt his father’s shadow fall across him. He looked up and Ben was standing in front of him, a devilish grin on his face.

Adam leapt to his feet. "Pa! What are you smiling about? You just lost our HOUSE and the PONDEROSA!"

Ben motioned for Adam to follow him out of the building. Adam glanced around the room and noticed everyone was staring at him. He felt himself blush as he followed his father outside.

"Pa, I’m sorry I yelled at you. But I just can’t believe this is happening. What are we going to do?"

"Adam, there are consequences to every man’s actions. I suppose we just learned that the hard way, did we not?" Ben moved over to his horse and untied him from the post.

"Pa, I know that there are consequences. But for gosh sakes you just lost the RANCH!" Adam heard his voice becoming higher.

Adam was only inches away from his father when Ben turned around. "So you’re saying that when a man makes a mistake, then it’s up to him to admit the mistake he has made? And that a man will accept the consequences and then he will try to make things right?"

"Pa, if I could fix what just happened I would. But I can’t win back the ranch." Adam mounted his horse. Ben did the same and they slowly trotted away from town.

"Adam, you need to remember that this all started because you gambled away your college money. I was only trying to win back what you had lost in the first place."

Adam pulled his horse to a stop. "Pa, I’m so sorry. I wish I could fix it."

Ben turned Buck around so he was now facing his son. "Well, Adam, you’re lucky because you can."

"How?. . .it’s too late, Pa. The ranch. . .the ranch is lost." Adam leaned on his saddle horn. He placed his face in his hand and started to sob lightly.

Ben brought his horse closer to his son. "Adam, I did not lose the ranch."

Adam’s head popped up. "What? I saw you lose it, Pa. Back at Shelby’s place."

"It was a setup to teach one of my sons a lesson. I hope he learned from it."

"Pa, are you telling me you did all of that to teach me a lesson? You didn’t lose the Ponderosa?" Adam stared into his father’s eyes.

"That’s exactly what I’m saying. Do you see why now gambling is not a good thing, son? Look at what I could have lost. I was lucky that Sam and the others were willing to help me with the lesson you needed to learn. You’ve still lost your hundred dollars and you still owe me the money you borrowed from Seth. But if you are the man I know you are, you can make it right."

Ben turned Buck towards home, nudging him ever so slightly; they were once again on their way.

"Adam, remember that the turn of one card could change your life forever. Try to think of the consequences before that happens."

"Pa. . I’m so sorry. I’ll never make such a stupid decision again. I’ll remember what you said, I promise."

The rest of the ride home was in silence. Adam was in deep thought of how to make the situation right. When they were finally home, they each took care of their horses and then went in the house to go to bed.

The next morning, Adam was up before anyone else. He scratched a quick note on a piece of paper and left it on the table for his father to see. He slipped to the barn and readied his horse for a trip to town. He had thought about how to solve his problem all night long.

When he arrived in town he went to the livery stable to find Big Dan. Adam discussed working at the livery to earn the money to pay back his father. He thought he also could start saving for his education again.

"Don’t know, Adam. Ya think your Pa will let ya work here? What about your work on the ranch?" Dan rubbed his beard with his large hand.

"I’ll come really early, Mr. Larson. I’ll make sure that I’ll have time for both. Will you hire me or not?" Adam asked, hopefully.

"All right, I will. But you make sure Ben knows what you’re up to." Dan shook Adam’s hand.

Adam decided it was time to head home and get his chores done. He pondered on how to explain to his father about his newfound job. He would simply tell Pa that he was making everything right again by earning back the money that he owed his father. Yep, that’s what he would tell him.

Pa had told him to find a way to make things right–so he did. Surely Pa would not be upset with what he had done.

As Adam came into the yard he noticed his father standing near the corral. Ben looked up as Adam stopped in front of the barn. Adam gulped when Ben crossed his arms over his chest. He also noticed that Ben had a dark, clouded look on his face.

Maybe he should have explained more in his note as to why he was going into town, Adam thought as he jumped of Beauty’s back. Adam headed for the barn and his father followed closely.

"Did you take care of your business in town?" Adam could feel Ben watching him as he put Beauty in her stall.

Adam picked up the currycomb and started to brush the horse. "Yes, sir."

Adam was silent for a moment waiting for his father to explode, but when Ben said nothing Adam was confused.

"Pa, are you angry with me? I just wanted to make it right." Adam quickened his brush strokes while he avoided looking at his father.

Ben frowned. "No I’m not angry. Why would you think that?"

"Well, when I came into the yard you didn’t look very happy." Adam laid the currycomb down, he scooped some feed out of the bag and put it in the horses feed tub.

Ben rubbed his chin. "I wasn’t upset with you, son. It was that younger brother of yours. Do you know what that little imp has been up too?"

Adam shook his head no and his father continued. "Well I found out that he had been. . . Oh never mind. All I know is I better not find out that he has ever done such a thing again."

Adam relaxed a bit. "I was afraid my note didn’t have enough information."

"Well, I was curious about your note. It really didn’t say much, only that you were going to town and would be back later."

"Can we go in the house, Pa? I’ll explain everything there." Adam watched as Ben motioned for him to go ahead of him.

The pair walked to the house and went inside. Ben moved to sit on the settee while Adam paced in front of the fireplace.

"Pa, I wanted to make it right. So please let me finish before you say anything." Adam saw Ben slightly nod his head.

He continued to explain. "You see, Pa. I want to pay you back the money I owe you. But I didn’t want to have to earn it from you. NO, NO. . .I didn’t mean it quite like that, sir. What I meant was I wanted to work for what I owed you. So, I. . .ummm. . .went to town to get a job." Ben raised his eyebrow at his son’s statement.

Adam threw up the palms of his hands when he noticed his father was about to speak. "Pa, I wanted to prove I could do it on my own. So I got a job at the livery, I’ll be cleaning stalls until I have paid you off. It won’t interfere with my work here, I promise."

Adam paused waiting for his father’s reaction. He watched as Ben thought about what he had been told.

Finally Ben spoke. "As long as it doesn’t interfere with your work, I think it’s a fine idea. I hope you’ve learned your lesson, son?"

Adam looked into his father’s face. "Yes, sir, I have. I’ll not gamble ever again and. I’ll think about the consequences before I do something."

"Good." Ben rose from the settee and draped his arm around his eldest son’s shoulders as they started to head back outside. "But you know, I think something else will help you to remember consequences."

Adam stopped walking. "Really? What would that be?" Adam was silently praying he was too old for a trip to the barn.

"I think a bit of restriction would do you well. You may go to town to work, but you are to come straight back home. There will be no excuses."

Adam let out the air he had been holding inside. "Fair enough, Pa. So how long am I restricted?"

Ben snickered. "I don’t think you really want to know that."

Adam groaned as they headed for the barn. Ben was getting ready to remove his arm from Adam’s shoulder when Joe flew by, covered with cow manure and chicken feathers.

Adam looked at Ben puzzled.

"I do believe I need to remind that brother of yours of consequences. Do you suppose he will ever learn?"

Adam laughed hard. "Joe, think about what will happen before he does something? I don’t think I’ll see the day."

Joe was getting ready to once again run between Adam and Ben when he suddenly stopped.

"Pa! You have to save me from Hoss!" Joe yelled.

Hoss appeared from around the corner, screeching to a halt.

Adam looked down at his brother as he pinched his nose closed. "Joe, what on earth have you been doing?"

Adam raised his head and looked up at his father, who stood with a frown on his face. Joe was about to speak but Ben interrupted. "I know what your brother has been doing. And if I’m correct, it is what he was not suppose to be doing."

Adam’s eyes widened with surprise when Ben grabbed Joe’s arm and started to drag him to the house. There was no way Adam would have touched his little brother. Not even for the hundred dollars he had lost in that poker game. For one, Joe smelled worse than a horse’s stall and two, he was covered with feathers. Adam watched as Ben stopped short of the door. "Joseph, I think it would be best if you bathed outside. You two finish your chores please."

Adam and Hoss both answered, "yes, Pa." Adam watched as Ben and Joe disappeared to the back of the house.

"Feathers?" Adam said. "Wonder how the heck he got covered with feathers?" Adam looked at Hoss.

Hoss replied. "I know how he got covered with feathers. But it’s a long story." Hoss headed to the woodpile Adam close behind.

"Well? How did he get covered with feathers?" Adam asked.

Hoss only held up a large hand. "Brother I ain’t got time to explain it all. Maybe later." He then picked up the ax to start his chore while Adam headed to the barn.

Adam hurried, cleaning the stalls trying to get them complete before lunch. If he was to keep the job at the livery stable, he had to prove to Ben that he could keep his chores done at home.

Adam had been cleaning the stalls for about an hour and a half when Joe stepped into the barn. Adam noticed he was no longer covered with feather nor did he smell like cow manure. He figured Pa had Joe soak in the tub for quite some time.

"Pa said I had to come help you with the chores." Joe sniffed.

"Alright, you can start putting clean straw in the stalls, while I finish cleaning Beauty’s stall." Adam handed Joe a pitchfork.

Adam watched as Joe started to slowly toss the straw into Paint’s stall. "Ya know Pa can be so mean sometimes. He made me take a bath, then he busted my tail real good. He said I need to remember consequences ‘fore I do things."

"He’s right, Joe. Pa knows best, you know." Adam paused to watch Joe think about what he just said.

Joe wrinkled his nose. "But you don’t always think before you do things."

"You’re right Joe, I don’t. And I, too, have to suffer the consequences of what I do."

"But Pa don’t bust you anymore." Joe scowled.

Adam started to rake. "You’re right again, Joe. But when your an adult, it’s harder to correct your mistakes. Do you know what I mean?"

"No." Joe said, as he tossed clean hay in the next stall.

Adam leaned on the rake he was using. "Joe, lets take a break and sit under the pine tree."Adam waved his empty hand toward the area just outside the barn door.

Joe frowned. "But I don’t think Pa would like us takin’ breaks."

"I’ll take the blame. And it’s only going to be a short break." Adam placed his rake against the wall.

Joe placed his pitchfork beside Adam’s rake. "Sure, Adam. But I think I’ll stand if’n you don’t mind." Joe reached back and rubbed his small backside with his left hand.

The two went over to the shaded spot. Adam sat in the cool soft grass as Joe leaned carefully against the mighty pine tree. Adam noticed that his youngest brother was being careful to not let any part of his backside touch the tree.

"Pa busted you good, huh?" Adam asked.

Joe shifted a bit. "Yeah, I don’t know why he was so upset. I didn’t pull that many feathers out of that old rooster."

Adam had to look down so Joe would not see him smiling. "Well let’s get back to what we were talking about before. You said I don’t always think about the consequences of my actions. Then you mentioned that Pa doesn’t paddle me anymore. Right?"

Adam watched as Joe nodded his head before he continued. "Well I wish Pa could just spank me and everything would be right again. But when you’re an adult you have to solve your own problems."

Joe eyes became wide at Adam’s statement. "Ya mean you want Pa to spank you?!"

"No. . .no. . .that’s not what I mean either. What I’m trying to say Joe, is that when Pa spanks you or stands you in the corner, your punishment is over. Your backside may hurt for a while, or you may not be able to go fishing but that’s it. Everything is over and done with. With me, I have to try and solve my own problems. I still answer to Pa about some things. I still live under his roof so he expects for me to be respectful at all times. When I’m not respectful or I do something Pa does not agree with, I hear about it just like you and Hoss. But my mistakes can change my life forever. It’s not as simple as a spanking." Adam took a break to see if his youngest brother understood anything he was saying.

Joe’s face had a puzzled look on it. "Ya mean if ya break a rule that sometimes the consequences are worse than Pa bustin’ you?"

"That’s right, Joe. I have to find a way to make things right. That’s why I’m working for Big Dan. I owe Pa some money and I intend on paying him back and you know what else? I almost wish Pa just tanned me real good. Then I wouldn’t have to be working so hard to fix things." Adam and Joe jumped when they heard a hearty voice behind them.

"I can still tan you if you want me to." Ben said, as he walked over to where the boys were.

Adam stood quickly. "No, Pa. That’s okay, really."

Adam watched as Ben rubbed his chin. "You sure, son? I can do a very good job of it."

"No. . .no . . .really, Pa. I can go the rest of my life without another tanning." Adam looked over his shoulder at Joe. "Come on, brother. We have chores to do."

Joe sighed, "All right, Adam." They headed to the barn to finish their tasks.

 

The pair worked in silence for a bit, until Adam spoke up. "Joe? How did you get covered with cow shi. . .I mean manure and feathers? And why was Hoss chasing you?"

Adam watched as Joe grinned mischievously. "It’s a long story, Adam. Ya wanna hear it?"

Adam closed his eyes for a moment. So this is how Pa felt when he asked them a question and they said it would be a long story. Adam decided at that very moment that he would never say that to Pa again. Or he would at least try not to.

"Never mind, Little Joe. You can tell me that story some other day."

After the barn was as clean as a barn could get, Adam and Joe started on the woodpile. Adam chopped while Joe stacked.

"Joe, do you remember a few days ago, when you asked me how old I was when Pa gave me my last tanning?" Adam asked, as he leaned on the ax handle.

Joe stopped stacking the wood and turned to face Adam. "Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, if I am correct you asked me if you had all those years of spankings to go."

Adam noticed Joe’s face turn into a frown. "Yeah, so?"

Adam sighed. "Joe, I’m trying to give you some advice, little brother. You can save yourself a load of spankings if you just remember to follow all of Pa’s rules. Just try to behave, it’s that simple."

Joe snorted. "But ya can’t have no fun if you have to be good."

"Any fun, Joe. You can’t have any fun." Adam corrected.

"See? You think so, too." Joe turned to start stacking the wood once again.

"Joe, that is not what I meant. Oh. . .never mind." Adam picked up a large log and sliced it easily as a sharp knife cutting into warm butter.

As Adam watched Joe lean to stack the wood it occurred to him that he was a role model for his youngest brother. Adam felt ashamed that lately he had not been a very good one. He decided that after he had paid Pa back the money that he owed him, he would try a lot harder to stay out of trouble himself. He needed to help Pa with Hoss and Joe and not make things more difficult. This was a huge responsibility and Adam decided that it was high time he started accepting it. He vowed from that moment on to try harder than ever before.

Adam paused and stared into space as he realized that he was thinking like his father. He shivered at the thought and then went back to work.

Adam and his youngest brother continued to work the rest of the day, each taking their punishments without any guff. When the work was done they wrestled and played a bit in the yard.

They only stopped when Adam could feel his father’s eyes watching them from the porch. He straightened quickly and brushed off his pants. Joe stayed on the ground gasping for air from laughing so hard.

"The chores are done, Pa." Adam pointed out as he helped Joe from the ground.

"I’m sure they are, son." Adam watched as Ben stepped off the porch. "I’m proud that you did what needed to be done without complaining. Thank you."

Adam grinned. "Does that mean I’m not restricted anymore?"

Ben grinned back. "Not on your life, young man."

Adam’s grin slowly turned into a frown. "Never hurts to try, now does it, Pa?"

Joe scoffed at Adam’s remark. "You’re wrong Adam! When you try to do the trick I did today, it hurt my behind. So it did hurt to try."

Adam glanced at Ben and Ben was trying to hold back a grin.

"He has a point there, Adam."

Adam rolled his eyes before he broke out into a fit of laughter. Joe simply wrinkled his face, not understanding what was so funny.

Adam placed his arm around his brother and headed for the house, their father following them. Both boys had learned some lessons the past few days, although Adam’s lessons were more life alternating than Joe’s.

Adam sat at the table that night a bit more proudly than before. Having to solve his own problems, learning important lessons and giving Joe much needed advice made him feel like the ‘man’ he knew he was in his heart. He glanced at his father, the man he loved and respected above all others, and vowed to make his father proud from this day forward.

 

The End

Gail G