To Be Fair

By Christine

 

Adam walked into the dim interior of the barn and was immediately aware of the soft sobs coming from one of the stalls. Walking over he placed a comforting arm on his young brother’s back. "Joe." He spoke softly. "Pa was pretty tough on you, huh?"

Joe looked up, quickly brushing the tears from his eyes. "Pa said he was disappointed in me Adam……..said I…I know better….than to lie to him."

"Well, Pa’s right Joe, you do know better than to lie to him."

Joe turned away, angry at his older brother. "What would you know Adam? I suppose you’ve never lied to Pa."

Adam’s surprise showed clearly on his face and he grabbed Joe’s shoulder, turning him back toward him. "That’s where you’re wrong Joe. I’ve lied to Pa a few times and suffered the consequences, just like you. Adam kept his voice soft, hoping to calm his brother. "The first time I remember lying to Pa was when I was a little younger than you. Hoss was a baby, just a few weeks old and we were traveling across the prairie.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * *

 

They made camp early that day. Ben was aware of Inger’s exhaustion. The demands of the trail were hard enough without all the extra work that came with looking after a new baby.

Inger climbed slowly down from the wagon. It had been a long day and she saw tired. Brushing her hair away from her face, she approached her son. "Adam, please take the bucket and fetch some water from the stream."

Pleased with the thought of being on his own for awhile, Adam raced off, bucket in hand.

"Adam, come straight back, don’t wander away." Inger called after him, concerned that the boy might see this as a chance to explore.

"Yes, ma’am," Adam called back over his shoulder.

After filling the bucket, Adam sat down on the bank, savouring the moment of solitude and quiet away from the noise of the wagon train. Away from the sounds of shouted instructions, of wheels and wagons squeaking in protest as they crossed rough terrain, and of whips cracking over the heads of oxen as they were encouraged in their work.

The stream was flowing swiftly and Adam watched the water shining and shimmering as it caught the late afternoon sun. Picking up a small twig, Adam tossed it into the stream. He watched, fascinated, as it was immediately picked up by the current and carried away downstream. Gathering a few twigs and leaves together, Adam built himself a couple of small twig sailboats, complete with hull, mast and a sail made from a large, flat, leaf. Carefully placing the two boats in the water, he watched in surprise as they were quickly carried into the middle of the stream, bobbing and bouncing as they took off downstream. Adam followed their progress from the bank, running now to keep up, as first one and then the other, took the lead. With his mind steadfastly on his racing boats, Adam was unaware of how long he had been away from camp, or how far he had wandered.

"Adam!"

The boy turned quickly, surprised to hear his father call his name.

"Would you like to explain what you are doing?" Ben stood feet apart and hands on hips.

Adam looked down, scuffing his boot in the sand. Unable to meet his father’s eyes, Adam murmured. "I was just fetching some water, Pa."

"I believe you were told to come straight back, not to wander away." Ben turned his head to the side, trying to look into his son’s face. Adam was looking everywhere but at his father.

"No, Pa. Ma just asked me to fetch some water."

His father’s silence caused Adam to squirm uncomfortably. Taking the boy’s chin in his hand, Ben forced the small face to look at him. "Would you like to explain that again, young man?"

There was a slight hesitation and again the eyes looked away. "Ma just asked me to fetch some water, Pa. She didn’t say to come straight back."

Trying to control his anger, Ben’s reply when it came was soft and stern. "I’m disappointed in you Adam. You know better than to lie to me."

 

* * * * * * * * * * *

 

"Heck, Adam, I bet Pa was real mad with you." Joe looked at his brother in sympathy.

Adam smiled at his young brother. "Well, Joe, I seem to remember eating my supper standing up, leaning against the wagon that night.

"Yeah, well you’re lucky, Pa’s going to make me sit at the table for supper."

With a soft laugh, Adam put his arm around Joe’s shoulder. "I think you’re right little buddy. Let’s go and find you a nice soft pillow."

Walking up the porch steps together, they were met at the door by Hop Sing, picnic basket in hand.

"What are you doing with that Hop Sing?" Joe asked, peering into the basket.

"Father say have supper down by stream tonight. Little Joe, you help. Carry basket."

Hoss stepped out on to the porch, a blanket under one arm. "Yeah, we’re having a picnic, Joe, down by the old wagon that we came west in."

"Hey, that’s a good idea. Come on, let’s go," said Joe, taking the basket from Hop Sing and running down the steps with it.

Adam looked across the room at his father, eyebrows raised and a knowing smile lighting his face. "So you heard what I said to Joe in the barn?"

Ben returned the smile and gave a small shrug. "Well, I try to be fair." Resting an arm across Adam’s shoulders he turned to his son. "Come on, let’s see if you can remember how to race twig sailboats!"

 

The End