Throwaway Wine

By Marion

 

Rating: G

The Ponderosa and the Cartwrights are not mine. Thank you to Mr. Dortort for allowing me to play on the Ponderosa for a little while. This story is purely for entertainment and is not intended to infringe on the rights of anyone else involved with Bonanza and Ponderosa.

A couple of stories ago, I referred to an incident in which Adam and Erik drank a bottle of Marie's wine while on the Trail west. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed when a few people picked up on my intentional throwaway line…Here's what happened.

I'd like to thank Nancy for her beta read. As always, she found the missing words, the grammatical goofs, and even another alleged throwaway line!

 

"Pa?"

Ben looked up at the sound of his youngest son's soft voice. Joe stood by his father's side, eyes red, rubbing his nose on his sleeve. Ben set aside the harness he was repairing and pulled a handkerchief from his pocket. Joe wiped his nose and tried to hand it back to his father, who just shook his head.

"Pa?"

Ben opened his arms and Joe leaned into the hug. Neither spoke for a minute until Joe pulled away slightly.

"I'm sorry I lost my temper, Pa, and I'm sorry I hit Adam." Joe looked at his father from the tops of his eyes. "I said sorry to Adam, too."

"And what did Adam say?"

Joe shrugged. "He said ta not worry, that he forgave me."

"And I forgive you, too, Joseph." Ben smiled slightly as he felt the boy relax. "Joe, you need to learn to control your temper. We've talked about that before, haven't we?"

Joe tensed again as he nodded. "Yes sir." The boy hesitated a moment. "Pa? Can I ask you a question?"

"It's 'may I ask you a question,' and yes, you may."

Joe sighed. "Yes, Pa. Anyway, I wanna ask a question that might sound like I'm being disrespectful, only I'm not tryin' to be disrespectful, I just don't understand."

Ben rubbed his hand over his mouth in an attempt to hide his grin. Joe sounded serious. "Very well, Joseph, I understand that you are not being disrespectful. Now, what's your question?"

Joe looked up at his father, eyes squinting in the sunlight. "Well, Pa, you tell me that I can't hit someone when I'm angry, but you were awful angry when you spanked me."

Ben heard a slight sniff and he knew his wife was on the other side of the wagon, listening for his answer. This was a conversation she and he had had more than one time. Ben pulled Joe onto his knee.

"That's a fair question, son. Here's one for you. Why did you want to hit Adam?"

Joe frowned. "On accounta he called me a runt."

Ben again had to hide his grin. "A runt. And that made you angry enough to hit him?"

"Yeah. I mean, yes, Pa."

"So you were hitting Adam out of anger, for revenge?" Joe nodded. "Why do you think I spanked you?"

Joe looked at his feet. "Oh accounta I'm not supposed to fight."

"What is it when you do something you are not supposed to do? And please look at me, not your feet."

Joe looked up. "Disobeyin'."

"And that's why I punished you, Joseph, not because I was angry. You know what the consequences are if you disobey, or if you lie, or if you are disrespectful." Ben placed his hand under Joe's chin, to force the boy's face up. "Joe, when you tried to hit Adam, you were not in control. You allowed your anger to control you and to determine your actions. When I punished you, I was in control of my anger. To punish you when I was not in control wouldn't be fair to you."

"You mean you would walk away? You wouldn't punish me?"

Ben struggled to hide his grin at his son's eager face. "I would walk away then, and we would talk once I had regained control of my anger. Just as you should have walked away from Adam until you had regained control of your anger."

Joe frowned. "Did you ever have to walk away from one of us, Pa?"

Ben nodded. "More than once, Joseph." He ruffled the boy's hair. "Now, I believe you have chores to do. Your mother needs buffalo chips for the fire." He smiled as the boy scampered away. His smile grew broader as the boy's mother appeared from behind the wagon. He held his hand out to her, and she quickly closed the distance between the two of them. He pulled her down to his lap and wrapped his arms around her. She smiled as she rested her head against his chest.

"You explained that very well, mon mari. I do not think it will stop Joseph, though. He takes it very hard when his brothers tease him sometimes."

He stroked her hair. "I'll speak to Adam. He knows better than to tease his brother. But, Joe's going to have to learn to put up with their teasing. I don't think he'll ever be as big as his brothers. I'm afraid he will always be small. He takes after you, my love."

Marie pushed away from her husband, eyes flashing. "And why should that give you fear? You have had cause to complain of me, peut-etre?"

Ben winced. "Marie, that's not what I meant, and you know it." He pulled her back to him. "Every boy wants to be as big as his father and his brothers, and that's just not going to happen with Joe." He ran his hand along Marie's back, and she shivered. "Now, you my love, you are just the right size." He bent down for a passionate kiss, only to be interrupted by the sounds of running footsteps. He broke off the kiss with a sigh and glared at his two oldest sons, one red-faced and one smirking at the sight of their parents.

"I thought you two boys were helping with the cattle."

Adam stopped smirking long enough to answer his father. "We were, Pa, but the wagon-master said we will stay here tomorrow, because the water's so good and the oxen need the rest. He said we're ahead of schedule."

Ben set Marie on her feet as he stood. "That's good news." Ben looked around the family's small camp and grinned. "And, even better news for us, I think we're in good shape. I'll have to check the wagon of course, but barring any unforeseen necessary repairs, I think we Cartwrights could use a rest as well!"

His announcement was met with loud cheers from his two sons and he nodded. The boys had been working hard and they would benefit from a day of rest and play. He clapped Erik on the back and told him to go help Joe find fuel for the fire. Adam turned to go as well, but stopped when his father called him.

"Yes, Pa?" Adam shielded his eyes from the sun as he looked over at his father, and Ben was surprised to realize that Adam was tall enough to look him in the eye.

"Adam, about this fight with Joe," Ben began.

Adam's shoulders sagged, and he lowered his arm. "I didn't mean to get him into trouble with you."

Ben shook his head. "Your brother knows he's not supposed to fight. He got himself into trouble."

Adam shrugged. "But my teasing didn't help."

"I want you and Erik to stop teasing Joe. You know he's sensitive about his height."

Adam looked at his feet, a guilty look on his face. "I'll apologize, Pa."

Ben nodded, willing to leave it at that. Getting Adam to apologize was not often an easy thing; for the young man to agree so readily meant that he already felt badly about the incident. "Good. Now go help your brothers. The more we can finish tonight, the fewer chores we'll have to do tomorrow."

Adam grinned, and hurried to join his brothers. Ben almost laughed aloud; he knew Adam would hound the other two boys until they had enough buffalo chips to last the week. He turned to Marie and raised his eyebrows.

"And now, my love, where were we?" He reached to take her in his arms again, but she batted his hands away.

"I was just about to begin our supper." She smiled coyly. "I believe you were going to see if the wagons need repair."

Ben wagged his finger at her. "I don't think that's what we were doing…" but he turned to look over the wagons.

Ben had just finished satisfying himself that the wagons were in good shape when he heard Joe crying behind him. He turned and saw the boys hurrying back to camp. Joe's arms were held out from his sides.

"Pa, it itches!"

Ben noticed his other two sons were careful to avoid Joe's touch. Marie came hurrying past Ben, anxious to reach her son.

"Oh, mon petit, you have been affected by poison ivy." Ben saw her glare at Adam. "Why were you not watching him?"

Adam bristled but calmed down after a look from his father. "I was watching, Ma. I only turned away for a minute."

Marie took Joseph by the elbow. "Maman has a salve that will help the itch, mon cher." She glared at Adam and Erik again, and then directed Joe to the wagons.

Adam looked at Ben. "Honest, Pa…"

Ben nodded. "I know. We've shown the plant to your brother many times. You're not to blame, son." He glanced at the wagon and then looked back at Adam. "Your mother knows that, too."

Sure enough, Marie apologized to Adam as they sat to supper. Adam grinned when Marie assured him that she knew Adam would always watch for his younger brothers.

Ben was surprised when Marie handed him a glass of wine with supper. She smiled. "I thought that since we would rest tomorrow, it would be nice to have some wine tonight. I have missed wine with supper."

They had brought several bottles of wine with them from New Orleans; a couple were broken by the journey despite their careful packaging. Marie poured each of her sons a small glass, being careful to water Joseph's portion. After supper, as the boys cleaned the dishes and got ready for bed, Marie and Ben took a walk, bringing the bottle and the glasses with them.

They rested under a cottonwood tree by the small creek near camp. When they finished the bottle, Ben leaned back, relaxed for the first time in several months. Marie rested in his arms, her head against his chest.

Ben chuckled suddenly, causing Marie to sit up and look at him.

"And what is so funny?"

"Joe's poison ivy. I just thought of something that happened when I was a boy."

Marie snuggled against his chest once more. "Tell me this story."

Ben grinned. His wife was as bad as his sons when it came to stories. "I've told you about my great-uncle John? He lived on Cape Cod." He could feel Marie nod. "Well, the summer that I was 12 or 13, Eddie and I spent several months on the Cape visiting. Mother had been ill, and Father thought it would be better if we stayed with Uncle John and Aunt May. John was older, and Father needed him at home to help. It was late in the summer, in fact, it was early September. Liz and her mother had already left." Ben paused as he felt Marie's comforting touch. Again he marveled that she was never jealous when he mentioned one of his first two wives. "Yes, it must have been early September, because the rose hips and beach plums were ripening."

*********************************************

The sun was shining overhead as sandpipers and plovers raced to avoid the waves crashing against the sand. The buzzing of the locusts in the brush almost drowned out the sound of the surf. Two boys carefully tipped the contents of their pails into the larger bucket sitting on the edge of the dune. The younger of the two studied the bucket.

"D'ya think Aunt May has enough rose hips for jelly, Ben?" He poked carefully at the bright red fruit.

Ben shrugged. "I don't know. I think she needs a lot. And she wants to make tea, too." He reached into the bucket and pulled out a plump rose hip. He pricked the skin with his thumbnail and gently peeled it away. He split the fruit carefully, scooped out the seeds and then popped the fruit into his mouth. "Mmmm."

Eddie just rolled his eyes as he carefully placed the netting over the big bucket to keep out the birds. "Yeah, and if you eat 'em all, then we'll be pickin' all day and won't have nothin' to show. She'll wanna know what we been doin'."

Ben glanced over at the other bucket. "Yeah, well you've been eating the beach plums. So you can't say anything."

Eddie pushed his brother playfully. "Hey, let's go swimmin'."

Ben looked at the waves crashing on the beach. "I don't know. Uncle John said not to. He said that gale off shore was making the waves really rough."

Eddie gestured to the water. "Look at those waves! They'll be great fun! Uncle John'll never know."

Ben was doubtful, but the big waves were tempting. He grinned. "I know, we'll go swimming without our clothes and they won't get wet. The sun'll dry us off and then we can get dressed again."

The boys quickly shucked their clothes, depositing them in a heap by the buckets. Ben pushed Ed slightly. "Race ya!" The two ran to the water, hesitating only momentarily as their feet splashed the ice cold water. As soon as they reached the breaking waves both dove head first into the white foam.

They alternated between diving into the water and riding the tops of waves onto the shore. The tide carried them further from their original spot than they realized, and they couldn't see the buckets or their clothes when they finally pulled themselves onto the beach. Eddie looked at his brother.

"Glory, Ben, you should see your legs. They're all scraped up! You better hope Uncle John doesn't see you."

Ben looked down and could see the scratches on his thighs and knees, no doubt caused by the small rocks and shells that marked the waterline where the beach met the water. He shrugged. "How will he see through my trousers?"

Eddie giggled as he punched Ben's arm lightly. He danced out of Ben's reach before his older brother could retaliate. "Yeah, well, if we don't get home before sunset, Uncle John'll ask what we've been doing, and if he finds out, he'll for sure be seein' us with our trousers down! C'mon!"

They started to walk along the sand to where they thought the buckets would be. At one point they thought they heard voices and Ben pushed Eddie toward the protection of the bushes lining the dunes.

"Hey, watch out! You made me land on my arse!" Eddie stood, rubbing his backside. "Those are roses you know!"

Sure enough Eddie had fallen into the brambling rose, which grew throughout the dunes. He reached over and plucked a ripe rose-hip from the branch.

"Hey, these look good. Maybe we oughta get some more for Aunt May."

Ben just rolled his eyes. "What a great idea, Eddie. Why don't we fill our pockets and maybe our hats with them!" Ben fell back as Eddie shoved him. "Ow! Now who's pushing whom into the bushes?"

The two boys continued their journey, taking care to avoid the brambling roses and their thorns. By the time they found their clothes, they were dry. They quickly dressed and headed home, the large buckets hooked on yokes, which they carried on their shoulders.

The sun was just beginning to set behind the trees when the brothers reached the lighthouse yard. They could see their great-uncle John, looking down the beach and pointing. A tall man stood next to Uncle John, and Ben and Eddie set their buckets gently on the ground and ran toward the two men.

"Father! Father!" Both boys flung themselves at their father as he knelt and held out his arms.

"My boys, I am so glad to see you!" Joseph Cartwright stood, arms around his sons' shoulders. "Have you behaved yourselves this summer?"

Both boys nodded and looked to their uncle. He grinned.

"As well as two of your boys could be, Joseph." Uncle John winked. "What mischief have you boys been at today?"

Eddie piped up. "No mischief, Uncle. We've been picking rose-hips and beach plums for Aunt May."

Ben, anxious to change the subject, and to keep his brother from lying, looked at his father. "How's Mother? Is she here? Is she well?"

Father ruffled Ben's hair, a gesture Ben pretended to dislike. "She is the picture of health, with cheeks as rosy as yon fruit you picked. She misses her boys and I have come to take you home to her."

Father helped Ben and Eddie carry the buckets to the kitchen as Uncle John went to tend the light.

"You boys have brought me a fine crop!" Aunt May said as she admired the day's harvest. "I'll be making jelly for you to bring home to your mother. You be sure she knows that you did the work. And I think some rose-hip tea will do her good." Aunt May absently reached behind her and slapped her nephew's hand. "Joseph, you stay out of that pot if you know what's good for you." Both boys giggled at the sheepish look on their father's face.

Aunt May shook her wooden spoon at the three of them. "Out you lot go. I have no time to play with naughty boys."

Joseph winked at his sons. "C'mon. I can aver that she knows how to use that spoon! Let's go for a walk and you can tell me about your summer."

Father and sons spent an hour walking along the beach, trading news and swapping stories about their summer. Ben was relieved to hear that Mother was feeling much better. Both boys were surprised to hear that the family would be moving to Boston before the end of the month.

"Captain Stoddard has recommended me to manage a larger chandlery shop there. I think you boys will like Boston."

Both boys shrugged. As long as they could come back to the Cape for the summer, it didn't matter much where they lived.

They hurried back to the house when they heard Aunt May ring the bell that hung by the kitchen door. Uncle John and Father talked of the upcoming move all through supper. Ben and Eddie sat quietly; they knew better than to speak when an adult had not spoken to them first.

As Aunt May cleared the dishes, Ben noticed that Eddie was wiggling in his chair. He kicked his brother's shin and shook his head slightly. Father was in a good mood and Ben wanted him to stay that way. Eddie had a funny look on his face, like he was in pain, but Ben couldn't imagine from what.

Just as Aunt May brought out the rice pudding for dessert, Ben started to feel uncomfortable. His backside felt as though a thousands ants were marching across it. He tried shifting his weight to see if that would stop the itch. Then he tried scratching his nails against his trousers. Nothing seemed to help. He was trying to figure out how to be excused from the table when he heard his aunt.

"Edward!" Aunt May sounded shocked. Ben's head snapped up, and he looked at his brother. Eddie had stood with his hands inside his trousers and was scratching his backside. Ben glanced at Father, who was no longer smiling. Then he glanced at Uncle John, who was looking at Eddie through narrowed eyes.

"Edward," Father began slowly, "what do you think you are doing?"

Eddie swallowed so loudly that Ben could hear him. "I'm itchy, Father."

Father stood beside Eddie. "Take your hands out of your pants, boy. Why are you so itchy?"

Uncle John stood next to Father. "Lower your trousers, Edward."

Eddie looked at his great-aunt as he answered his great-uncle. "Uncle John…" His tone was pleading.

Aunt May nodded. "I'll see to the dishes."

Uncle John watched his wife leave the room and then he turned to Eddie. "Now, boy, lower your trousers."

There was nothing to be done. Eddie turned his back to his father and uncle and slowly unbuttoned his trousers.

Father's eyebrows rose as Uncle John's eyebrows knit together. "Son, you're covered in poison ivy." Father turned to Ben, who was trying very hard to scratch without anyone noticing.

"Benjamin…" Father gestured for Ben to stand, and then he indicated that Ben should also turn and lower his trousers.

Ben could feel his father's hot glare. "Look to me, both of you!"

Ben and Eddie whirled, holding their pants to their waists. Father had his arms crossed and he looked very angry. Uncle John's beard was wagging as he nodded his head. Both men glowered at the two boys and Ben was sure Uncle John knew what they had done.

Uncle John growled. "How did you boys come to get poison ivy on your backside? Benjamin, how did your legs come to be scraped so?"

For one brief minute Ben thought of saying that they had had to relieve themselves and must have brushed the poison ivy then, but he realized any chastisement would be made more severe because of the lie. He wondered if the pain of the punishment would at least be a cure for the itching.

"We…" Ben glanced at his brother and then looked at his uncle. "We disobeyed you, sir. We went swimming in the waves." Neither Uncle John nor Father spoke. "My legs were scraped by the stones at water's edge, and I think we got the poison ivy when we were picking beach plums, or maybe when we ran into the brush when we thought we heard voices."

Father rubbed his hand over his mouth. "And why were you picking plums without your trousers?"

Eddie answered. "We were drying, and we didn't want to get our trousers wet."

"Why?" Uncle John practically barked the question, and Ben hesitated before answering.

"We didn't want you to know we had disobeyed."

Uncle John's look was positively thunderous. "Not only did you disobey me, you intentionally set out to deceive me!" Uncle John's voice grew louder. "Did it not occur to you that I had a reason for forbidding you to swim today? Did it not occur to you that the tides would be stronger for that gale out to sea and that you might not be strong enough to swim against the currents? You foolish boys, you could have been swept to sea!"

Father paled and Ben could see the man's face go from anger to fear and back to anger. Father reached for his belt buckle as he scowled at his sons.

"You know better than to disobey and deceive. Benjamin, you're oldest…"

Ben was surprised when Uncle John reached out to stop Father. "No, Joseph. I think this is one time when the boys will not need that." Father, too, looked surprised. Then he looked at his two sons, both scratching their backsides. Father nodded and smiled slightly, and Ben felt a wave of relief.

Uncle John spoke again. "I seem to remember Nature has her own punishment." He nodded at both boys. "Button your trousers. Now, poison ivy is an awful thing. The itch can get so bad that it will make a man mad." Uncle John shrugged. "Now, your Aunt May has a very nice salve she could give you boys and that would help the itch." Both boys smiled in relief. "But, I think she will not. You boys are excused to your room. Joseph, let us enjoy this fine pudding your aunt has made for you."

*******************************************

Ben stroked Marie's hair. "I think that itch was worse than any encounter with my father or Uncle John. I itched for days - I think I scratched the skin off my backside. I know I was so sore I couldn't sit comfortably for what seemed like weeks." Ben chuckled softly. "Several years later, my uncle told me that he knew how I would feel because my father and his cousins had done much the same thing when they were boys."

The next afternoon, Ben looked for his sons. They had all enjoyed the day of freedom, but now it was time to begin the evening chores and he was not pleased that the boys were not yet back. He relaxed a little when Joe came running up.

"Where are your brothers?"

Joe shrugged. "They didn't want me around. Said they were doin' grown-up stuff." Joe grinned as he pointed toward the river. "But I think they were down that way."

Ben hurried toward the river, his wife and youngest son following behind. As he neared the bank, he could hear loud noises. Adam and Erik sounded like two cats in heat! Ben stormed through the brush but stopped short as he reached the riverbank.

Ben stood looking at his two oldest sons, both grinning at him, the now empty bottle of wine lying on its side. They were drunk! They were drunk on their mother's wine! A fury swept over him and he stepped toward them, his hand on his belt buckle.

"I'll take my belt to the both of you!" The grins on their faces vanished and they both stepped back. Ben reached out and grabbed Adam's arm. "Do you want to tell me what you were thinking?"

A small noise caused Ben to glance behind him. Joe was looking at him, eyes wide. Suddenly their conversation about not punishing his sons in anger came to Ben's mind and he released Adam. He pointed toward camp. "Get back to camp, both of you and start your chores."

He watched his two oldest sons scramble up the bank, their little brother following behind them. He looked at his wife and shook his head. She looked every bit as angry as he did, but still she tried to calm him, as she always did when he was angry with the boys.

"How will you speak with them, mon cher?" She rested her hand on his arm. "Adam is too old to be punished with your belt. You have said so yourself."

Ben shook his head and stared over the creek for several minutes. "I don't know." He turned to look over his shoulder. "Why don't you go back to camp? I'd like to sit here for a while if you don't mind." He nodded as she squeezed his arm lightly before she walked back to camp.

Ben lowered himself to the ground and leaned against a cottonwood tree. He shook his head. What were those boys thinking? Ben couldn't fathom how they thought they'd get away with taking that wine.

Ben laughed suddenly. If he had spent much of his adult life wondering how his sons thought they could get away with mischief, he had also spent his entire childhood trying to figure out how he could get away with the same mischief. How many times had he stood in front of Father or Uncle John as they demanded to know what he had been thinking, only to hear them decide he had not been thinking at all. He glanced to the heavens. "You’re up there laughing right now, aren't you?"

Both his father and his great-uncle had been firm believers in discipline, and had long instilled in Ben and his brothers the belief that all behavior, but especially poor behavior, had consequences. Both men were also firm believers in the adage that to spare the rod was to spoil the child, and both were equally determined to not spoil Ben or his brothers. He had no idea how many times he had gone to bed with a sore backside, but, as he thought back to the story he had told Marie the night before, Ben realized that the punishments that had truly made an impression were the creative ones, such as Uncle John withholding the salve that would ease his itching. Ben grinned. He would take a page from his uncle's book and approach his sons' behavior creatively. Satisfied, he rose and headed back to the camp.

He nodded as he saw his sons doing their chores. Neither Adam nor Erik appeared to be moving quickly, but they were working. Joseph was busy chatting to his brothers as all three worked together. Ben smiled as a thought occurred to him.

Marie was bending over the fire, stirring supper. No doubt it was stew, for that was the easiest thing to cook over an open fire. She stood as he approached.

"You have decided then?" She reached out to caress his face; she knew how much he hated to punish the boys.

"I think I'll take a lesson from my uncle." Marie looked at him, confused. "Nature has her own punishment for over-indulging, as those two will find early tomorrow morning. By the way, they'll be doing your chores in the morning. And Joe's, for that matter." Marie smiled in understanding.

Ben moved to the back of the wagon and placed the empty wine bottle in an inside pocket sewn onto the wagon canvas. He would save that for the morning. He beckoned Adam and Erik to stand in front of him. The two hurried as best they could to obey. Joe stayed by the wagon, out of his father's line of sight, but close enough see what was going on.

Ben bit back a grin as his two sons stumbled toward him; he knew all too well how they felt.

"You wanted to speak with us, Pa?" Adam's speech was still slightly slurred.

Ben glared at both sons. "I don't think I have to tell you how disappointed I am in your behavior." Adam and Erik looked at their feet. "But, I don't think either of you are in the condition to discuss this tonight. Therefore, you will finish your chores and you will go to sleep. We will talk in the morning."

Erik looked like he wanted to say something – no doubt wondering about his supper, but a look from Adam silenced him. Ben waited until his sons nodded. "You are excused."

"Yes, sir."

Other than the men standing night watch, Ben was the first person awake the next morning. He watched the eastern sky begin to grow light and he smiled.

Ben walked quietly to where Adam and Erik were rolled up in their blankets, dead to the world. He nudged Adam none too gently with his foot. Adam groaned and rolled over. Ben, resolved that he would show his sons no sympathy, bent over and yanked Adam's blanket; his oldest son rolled onto the cold ground. Adam lay sprawled on the damp grass until Ben reached down and dragged the young man up by his arm. Adam forced one eye open.

"What time is it?"

"It's time to discuss yesterday." Ben pointed to a copse of trees, a short distance away from camp. "Go wait for me there."

He didn't watch to see if Adam would obey him before he bent over and woke Erik. After several minutes, Erik was walking to the trees to join his brother. Ben could see them standing, heads hanging, no doubt speculating about their fate. He would let them wonder for a few more minutes.

He reached into the wagon and grabbed the empty wine bottle. He took a deep breath and stalked toward his two sons. The stricken looks on their faces as he reached them almost made him grin.

Then he glanced at the bottle in his hand – the bottle that the two had taken without permission. He no longer felt like grinning and he thrust the bottle at the boys.

"Would you care to explain to whom this bottle belongs?"

Erik blanched and looked at Adam, who was wincing at the anger in his father's voice.

"It's from the wagon, sir." Adam looked at his feet.

"Look at me!" Ben waited until both boys obeyed. "So it's your mother's wine."

"Yes, sir." Erik's voice was a whisper.

"Of course you asked your mother's permission before taking the bottle."

Now it was Adam's turn to whisper. "No, sir."

Ben scowled at his sons, eyebrows knit together. "Erik, perhaps you can tell me what it is when you take something without permission?"

Erik chewed his lip and glanced away. "It's kinda…"

"Look at me, young man."

Erik looked at Ben. "It's kinda like…well, I reckon it's sorta like…stealin?"

Ben crossed his arms and turned to Adam. "Adam, do you also reckon that taking something without permission is kinda, sorta like stealin'?"

"Yes, sir." Adam blushed furiously. "I mean, no sir, it's not kinda like stealing. It is stealing."

Ben nodded. "It is stealing. You have been dishonest, both of you. You've broken a commandment. In fact, you've broken at least two commandments, haven't you?"

Neither son would answer. "Adam, perhaps you could tell me which Commandments you broke yesterday?"

Adam licked his lip nervously. "Thou shalt not steal." He hesitated.

"And?"

"I don’t know, Pa. I…I can't seem to remember the others right now."

"Erik?"

Erik shrugged. "I don't know either, Pa."

Ben felt his jaw grind to the right as he glared at them both. "You both know that drinking is against the rules your mother and I have set. You were dishonest and you were disobedient. Can either of you give me one reason that I should not tan the hides off both of you right now!"

Erik swiped at his nose with his sleeve while Adam stared at his father, open-mouthed.

"Pa, you can't be serious!" Adam quickly apologized. "I'm sorry, sir, it's just…"

"It's just you think that you're too old for a tanning, is that it?" Ben watched Adam shrug helplessly. "Fortunately for you, I think you are, too. And Erik, I can't tan you if I can't tan Adam." Ben tried not to smile as both sons relaxed noticeably. "That doesn't mean I can't punish you, however."

They both stiffened as he continued. "Today you will do all your chores, you will do Joseph's chores and you will do your mother's chores. Then, because I cannot trust you to be out of my sight or your mother's sight, you will walk beside the wagon instead of riding your horses until I have decided that you have earned the privilege of riding again. Today while you are walking, you will study the Commandments and you will recite them to me before you may eat your lunch. You will also tell me which Commandments you broke in addition to 'thou shalt not steal.' Now go start your chores." He dismissed them with a wave of his hand.

As Ben watched them hurry back to the wagon, he felt a tug of doubt. Was he doing the right thing? They had stolen something, they had disobeyed his rule against drinking…if Adam were just a couple of years younger, Ben knew that he would have made good his threat to tan the hides off both boys. But Adam was nineteen. How could Ben in good conscience treat Adam like a child when he himself had been married at nineteen? And he couldn't punish Erik differently than Adam… Ben shook himself from his thoughts. Being a father was never easy, but he thought he'd done all right so far.

Ben's doubts flared again as he walked back to the wagons. Marie was cooking breakfast. If the boys thought they could flout his punishment so soon, he would rethink his decision that Adam was too old for a tanning.

Marie stopped him before he could speak. "Because the boys are to be punished, we are to be punished also? Non, neither can cook so much as water. I told them I shall make breakfast. They will clean and pack the dishes."

He kissed her. "Good point." He glanced at Joe, still curled in his blanket. "I see Joseph is taking advantage of his brothers' punishment."

"I did not see the need to wake him if he had no chores. He has less chance of mischief if he is asleep." She placed her hand on her husband's arm. "Adam and Erik have apologized to me for taking that which was mine."

"And?"

Marie looked sad. "I told them that I accept their apology, but that it would take much time and effort for them to regain the trust which is lost. I think, perhaps, they have begun to realize what they have truly done."

Ben nodded. The boys were used to Marie forgiving them quickly, or even hiding their mischief from him. If he knew his sons, and he did, her words would have more of an impact than any punishment he could mete out.

He watched Adam and Erik struggle with their chores. Ben knew all too well how difficult morning work could be after being drunk the day before. He grinned; the Captain had given him the most odious chores whenever Ben had been caught over-indulging. That had been worse than the tanning Father had given him the one time he had over-indulged while living at home.

Breakfast seemed to be unpleasant for both young men as well. Ben leaned over and tapped Adam's plate. "Eat up, son, you've a long day ahead of you."

Joe was sitting between his two brothers, chatting away. "Hey, Erik, how come you're not eatin'? I never seen you not eat breakfast before." He nudged his older brother, who groaned.

"Cut it out, Joe. Ma, may I be excused? I'm not feelin' so good."

Marie looked sympathetic. "Your head it hurts, oui? And perhaps your stomach as well?"

Erik nodded, then looked as though he regretted it. "Yes, ma'am."

Marie tsked. "I have something that might help…" Both Adam and Erik looked at her with hope. "But, I think you do not wish it."

Ben almost laughed. Marie was enjoying the boys' discomfort as much as he was. Hopefully they would learn their lesson after today. Ben leaned toward Joe.

"Joseph, do you remember the Ten Commandments?"

Joe looked puzzled. "Sure do, Pa. How come?"

Adam's eyes went wide and he turned a pleading look toward his father. Ben pretended to ignore him.

"Well, it seems your brothers forgot the Commandments. They're going to be walking with you today instead of riding and I was hoping you would help them remember all ten of them."

"Sure, Pa, be glad to." Joe turned an eager face to Adam. "Hey, Adam, how come ya ain't ridin'? Don't feel like it?"

Ben tried not to smile when Adam didn't answer. "Joseph, I think that's Adam's concern, not yours."

Joe nodded. "This'll be great, you fellas walkin' with me. Maybe if ya learn the commandments quick we could play a game of tag or somethin'."

Ben stood and looked around at the other wagons. "Looks like everyone's getting ready to start. Erik, you help me with the oxen while Adam washes the dishes."

Ben turned and walked away, Joe's voice ringing in his ears. "Adam, how come you're doin' the dishes? Do you wanna start learnin' the Commandments…" Yes, he thought as he slapped Erik on the back, Nature does punish the over-indulgent, but even Nature can use some help.

 

The End