The Rival

By Gail G.

Disclaimer: I do not own the Cartwright characters.

Thanks to Laura for beta-reading!

 

Ben Cartwright walked out of the Trading Post carrying the small bag of sugar that he had retrieved for Hop Sing. As he placed his purchase into the wagon, Little Joe scurried from somewhere down the street.

"Joe, where have you been?" Ben asked, as he smiled down at his young son.

"I was playin’ marbles with some of the other boys," Joe said, as he jumped into the back of the wagon.

"Did you win?"

"No, Pa, I mostly only watched." Joe shifted his weight so he could be more comfortable.

At that moment, Margaret Green pulled up in front of the store in her small black dust covered buggy. "Good morning, Ben. Nice to see you in town."

Ben walked over and offered Maggie his hand; he then help her step down from the buggy. This is when the funniest thing happened, or the first time he realized it. When he looked at Margaret, he felt different than with the other women in town. A smile spread across his face. "It’s nice to see you on this fine morning, Maggie. Is there something I can help you with?"

"No, Ben. I just came for a few supplies, nothing too big, but thanks for the offer." Maggie turned to walk into the small store.

"Maggie!" Ben called out before she entered.

Margaret turned slowly to face the man that had called her name. "Yes, Ben?"

Ben, smiling ever so slightly, began to speak. "Would you like to join us for dinner tonight? Tess is welcome, of course."

Maggie took a step forward and nodded. "That would be real nice, Ben. I really could use a break. What time? Is around six o’clock alright?"

"That will be fine." Ben turned and climbed into the wagon. "I’ll see you then." He then grabbed the reins, and with a light strike they were on their way back to the Ponderosa.

Ben was in deep thought at first. When had it happened? When had he started to like Margaret for more than just a friend? It had been almost a year since Marie had died. Is it too soon to like someone else? He did know one thing, he enjoyed Maggie’s company. Even though he was not ready for any serious relationship, they could at least become closer friends.

"Pa? Pa?" Joe’s voice started penetrating Ben’s thoughts.

Ben jerked his head as he looked over his shoulder at the little boy. "Yes, Joe?"

"Why did ya invite Maggie to supper tonight?" Joe had a puzzled look on his face.

Ben frowned. "To you, young man, her name is ‘Mrs. Green.’ Please try not to forget it."

"Sorry, Pa. Why did ya invite Mrs. Green for supper tonight."

Ben slowed the wagon as he began to answer the question presented to him. "Well, son, sometimes it’s nice to have someone to talk to."

"You got me and Adam and Hoss and Hop Sing. I don’t see why you need Mrs. Green." Joe shifted once again.

"Well, son, when you’re older, you’ll understand." And with that, Ben sped up the horses so they could get home.

When they arrived in the yard, Hoss and Adam came over and greeted their father and little brother.

As Ben jumped down he asked for Hoss to unhitch and take care of the horses. Hoss answered with a quick, yes, sir, and immediately began his task.

"Adam, will you please take this sugar into the house to Hop Sing? And please let him know that we are having guests for dinner," Ben said, as he lifted Little Joe from the back of the wagon.

"Dinner guests? Who’s coming?" asked Adam.

Ben turned to face his son. "Maggie and Tess."

Adam groaned at this new information. This did not go unnoticed by his father.

"Is there a problem, son?" Ben asked, as he grinned at his oldest son.

"Ummm..no, Pa, I just seem to remember the last time they came for dinner," Adam answered with a frown on his face.

Ben placed his arms across his broad chest. "I’m sure we will not have repeat of that incident–will we?"

Adam almost choked, "Noooo, Sir."

"Well I should hope not. Please tell Hop Sing that I would prefer boiled potatoes instead of mashed." Ben said, as he waved his eldest to the house.

Adam could feel his cheeks flushing. "Yes, Pa," was all he was able to mumble, before retreating into the wooden structure.

Adam decided at that moment to make sure he sat as far away from Tess as he could. He was also glad Pa had asked for boiled potatoes instead of mashed. Mashed potatoes were, of course, one of Adam’s least favorite foods.

Ben had all the boys hurry with their chores. He wanted them to have time to clean up before their dinner guests arrived. Adam and Hoss were more than willing to wash thoroughly and put on clean clothes. Joe, however, was not as cooperative. Ben had to threaten him with a sound spanking before his young one would obey.

Ben reminded his three sons that they must be on their best behavior and to remember their manners. All three young men were slightly nervous, especially since the last time they had dinner guests it was a fiasco.

It wasn’t long before they heard a buggy pull into the yard. Ben stepped onto the front porch followed by his sons. When Maggie had stopped the horses, he walked over to help her down. Adam stood back and let Hoss help with Tess. He was not going to get into any trouble tonight.

Hoss and Ben escorted the ladies into the house, just as Hop Sing was placing the food on the table.

"That was excellent timing, Hop Sing," Ben commented, as he pulled the chair out for his friend.

Hop Sing only smiled as he went to retrieve the next dish.

When everything was on the table, Ben began to pass the food around. Hop Sing joined the family at the table for the meal.

Even though the boys were rather quiet, Ben and Maggie talked and teased with each other. Little Joe began to notice that his Pa was paying extra attention to Mrs. Green and he was not sure if he liked it or not.

After a dessert of apple pie, Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe excused themselves from the table. Tess also excused herself, and they all went to sit on the front porch.

Hop Sing stuck his head out the door. "Boys, rest now. Will do dishes later." He then entered the house to clean off the table.

Ben and Maggie moved onto the settee, as Hop Sing served them some hot coffee. They then began to discuss some different issues that have been going on in town.

Outside on the porch, Hoss sat on the wooden bench with Tess beside him. Adam and Little Joe sat with their legs hanging over the side of the planked porch.

"I think your pa is smitten with my ma." Tess said and a smiled crept across her face, "I wouldn’t be surprised if some day your pa even courted my ma."

Hoss turned his head to face Tess. "Ya think? Well, wouldn’t that beat all."

Suddenly Little Joe sprang to his feet and started to yell, "Take it back!!" He then took a step closer to Tess.

"What are you yelling about, Joe?" Tess had a puzzled look on her face.

"I said, take it back, and take it back now!!" This time Joe’s voice grew in volume.

Adam stood up and dusted off the back of his pants. "Little Joe, what are you talking about?"

"Pa don’t love no one except for ma. Take it back, Tess, or I’m going to slug you." Joe had now taken a combative stand.

Tess stood to her feet. "I didn’t mean anything by it, Joe, and would you please quit yelling at me."

"I will if you take it back!!" Joe took another step closer to the young girl.

"Well I don’t think I said anything wrong, so I don’t owe you an apology, Joseph Cartwright." Tess moved back a step and was getting ready to sit back on the bench, when Joe swung his left arm to hit her.

Lucky for Joe, Adam caught his elbow just in time, as Tess plopped down on the seat with a stunned look on her face.

"Are you crazy, Joe? If Pa found out you were out here swinging at Tess, he’d have your hide." Adams eyes slid to the closed front door.

"I don’t care, Adam. She’s going to take it back or I’m going to slug her good!!" Joe was struggling to yank his arm out of Adam’s grasp.

Adam held tight to his younger brother. "Joe, you better keep it down before Pa comes ou--" Adam didn’t get to finish his sentence when the front door opened.

Ben stood in the doorway. "What’s all the yelling out here?" All four young people glanced nervously at each other.

"Well?" Ben asked, as he stepped out onto the porch.

"Well. . .see, Pa, Joe is just a little upset." Adam was trying to hold a squirming little boy as he spoke.

"I see. Have you been teasing him again," Ben asked. He now had a frown on his face.

Hoss answered quickly, "NO. . .Pa, we ain’t done no teasing."

"Then what’s the problem?" Ben was not the most patient man, and hated having to drag any story out of his children.

"It’s her fault, Pa." Joe started to scream as he pointed at Tess, "She won’t take it back, so I’m planning on sluggin’ her."

"Joseph, no one will be slugging or I mean hitting anyone. Do I make myself clear?" Ben placed his large hand on Little Joe’s shoulder, hoping it would calm him down. Joe was flailing his arms trying to reach Tess.

Ben shook his son slightly. "That’s enough Joseph, now what is all this about." Margaret had now appeared upon the porch. She was trying to figure out what on earth was going on.

"Adam, would you please explain?" Ben turned his eyes on his oldest son. Adam stood running his fingers through his black wavy hair.

"Well, Pa, you see, ummmm. . .Tess was just saying that she thought that you ummm...liked her ma a lot."

 

Ben’s eyes narrowed. "Adam, please get on with it."

Adam once again began to stammer, "Ummmm. . ."

Joe jumped in before Adam started to try to explain. "She said you were goin’ to marry her ma!!" Joe pointed at Tess, black anger in his eyes.

"I see. What makes any of you think that I am going to marry anyone?"

"Well nothing, Pa, we were just talking." Adam twisted his lips to the side.

"I would appreciate it if you let me decide who and when I will be married." Ben was more than slightly agitated. "Joseph, please go into the house and calm down." Ben released Little Joe’s shoulder and slightly shoved him toward the front door. Joe took a couple of small steps and was getting ready to go around Mrs. Green when he bolted to the right and, before anyone knew it, he was assailing Tess with his small fist.

Tess drew back away from the boy, tears coming to her eyes. "Joe, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I was just talking!"

Within a second, Ben had grabbed Joe by the back of his collar and dragged him into the house. Once in the house Ben gave Little Joe a few swift firm swats and sent him to his room. He then returned to the porch to check on his guest. "Maggie, I’m sorry if the boys have embarrassed you."

Margaret looked up at Ben, grinning ever so slightly. "Not at all, Ben, but I do believe it is time for Tess and I to go home."

"Boys, go hitch up Mrs. Green’s horses."

Adam and Hoss answered with a quick, "Yes, sir," and headed to the barn with Tess following close behind.

"Ben, it has been an interesting evening, and I want to thank you for having us." Margaret crossed her arms as she sheepishly looked toward the ground.

Ben cupped her chin in his hand and brought her face up so he could look her in the eyes. "It was my pleasure, Maggie." He then slightly bent at the waist and kissed Maggie on the cheek. Ben could feel the heat rising within him and he wanted to kiss her soft lips. But he stopped himself when he noticed Maggie flushing.

"I’m sorry, Margaret." Ben stared at her with great intent.

"For what, Ben?"

"For making you uncomfortable." He brushed his hand across her face.

Maggie’s smile become broader as she answered back, "That’s just it, Ben, you didn’t."

They each turned as they heard the voices of their children calling their names. Ben took Margaret by the hand and led her to the buggy. He gently lifted her inside, while Hoss helped Tess in the other side.

"Next time, it will be my treat," Maggie said, as she flicked the reins. Ben watched as the buggy pulled out of the yard, leaving a small cloud of dust behind.

Ben turned his attention to his two senior sons. "Boys, you two finish up the chores that need to be done. I need to go have a talk with your brother."

Ben turned to walk away, but was stopped when Adam called his name, "Pa."

"Yes, Adam."

"Don’t be to hard on him. He was just upset because, well, he can’t picture anyone replacing Ma." Adam chewed on his bottom lip as he spoke.

"Upset or not, that does not give him the excuse to hit anyone–especially a young lady, such as Tess. And for your information, I don’t plan on replacing anyone, so you can drop the subject." Ben arched an eyebrow for effect, making sure his sons understood.

Adam and Hoss each stammered a "Yes, Pa," and then turned to go into the barn.

Ben took a few long strides and within a moment he was in the warmth of the house. He hung his hat on the peg beside the door, and then entered the bunk room where his young son was waiting.

Joe was lying on his bed, his head buried in the feather pillow. When he heard the door open, he immediately jumped to his feet, tears streaking his face as he did so.

Ben loomed over him. "Well, young man, what do have to say for yourself?"

Little Joe wiped a grimy hand across his face to catch the tears that were slowly going down to his chin. "I’m--I’m sorry, Pa. I won’t ever hit anyone again."

Ben’s expression remained stern. "Joseph, you know I will not allow you to fight. And I am very disappointed with your behavior. Now, I’ve already spanked you. So for the rest of your punishment, you can help Hop Sing clean the dishes. And the next time you see Tess, you will apologize. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Pa." whispered Joe.

"There’s one more matter I have to get straight. I am not going to marry Mrs. Green. I’ve already spoken to your brothers. We are just good friends and I enjoy her company." Ben moved to stand by his son. "Little Joe, I could never replace your mother. I loved her with all my heart. Just because I like spending time with Margaret does not mean she could ever replace your mother."

Joe sniffed as his father opened his arms. Joe leaned into his father and Ben held his son for a moment.

"Now, you get out there and help Hop Sing," Ben said, as he swatted Joe lightly on the backside.

Little Joe scurried out into the main room to help Hop Sing clean the table and do the dishes. This was a chore despised by the young boy, and to him was worse than getting a licking.

A few days later the family rode into town together. Ben had a town council meeting. Adam wanted to talk to a friend about a new book he had read. Joe, on the other hand, couldn’t wait to meet up with his friends to maybe start a marble game or play hide and seek. Hoss came along for the ride. He was hoping to see Tess if she was in town.

When they pulled into town, Ben noticed the familiar black buggy that belonged to Margaret. His heart started to speed up and he could feel the heat rising to his cheeks. After he stopped the wagon, Hoss and Joe jumped from the back to go on their way.

"Little Joe," Ben called, as he stepped from the wagon seat.

"Yeah, Pa." Joe stopped and turned to look at his father. He noticed at that moment that there was a frown on his face. Joe realized what his error was and corrected himself immediately. "Yes, Pa."

The corners of Ben’s mouth inched toward the blue sky. "Little Joe, if Mrs. Green is in town, that means Tess is probably with her."

Joe shrugged his shoulder as if he was not understanding what his father was getting at. Ben continued, "Joseph, if Tess is here, you can apologize to her. Come into the Town Hall for a moment and we will check. Then after you’re finished you may go play with your friends." Ben motioned for his son to join him.

Joe took and deep breath and sighed, "Can’t I do this some other day? The other boys are waitin’?"

"No, Little Joe. Now is a good as time as any." Ben placed his hand on Joe’s neck and guided him to the building.

Once they stepped inside, Ben glanced around the room to locate Maggie. He walked over to where she was sitting and waited for her to stop speaking to Ruth Orowitz.

Maggie could feel Ben’s presence and looked up at him smiling. "Hi, Ben, how are you today?"

Ben flashed one of his famous smiles, "I’m fine Margaret, and you?"

Maggie swept a piece of hair off her forehead as she began to smile even bigger. "I’m just fine Ben. Would you like to have a seat."

"Well, in a minute I will. But first I was wondering if Tess was with you?" Ben asked, as he gently squeezed Little Joe’s shoulder.

"Yes she is, Ben. She went to join her friends. But she will be waiting for me when this meeting is over. Why?"

Joe shifted as his father began to explain, "Joe has something to say to Tess. Isn’t that right,

son?"

Joe looked back at his father. "Yes, Pa."

Mrs. Green grinned. "I see. Well you’ll just have to wait to after the meeting. Can it hold?"

"Yes, ma’am, it can wait." Joe was getting ready to step away but was pulled back by his father.

"Joseph, I want you back in time to apologize to Tess. This meeting should take about two hours. You stay close so you can see when we come out." Ben was shaking a finger at Joe.

"Aww. . .but, Pa, all my friends are waiting," whined the young boy.

"Joe, you can go gather your friends and play near the town hall, understood?"

Joe scuffed the tip of his boot on the floor. "Yes, Pa."

"Good. You are excused."

Joe ran to the door and out onto the planked sidewalk. He scurried down the street to find his friends. He got to wait on apologizing to Tess, and he was glad of it. He didn’t really want to, and when he did he wouldn’t mean it. He was mad at her and was not one bit sorry for hitting her. She shouldn’t have made them comments about Pa liking her Ma.

As the people filed out of the town hall, Ben stood and looked around for his sons. Hoss was across the street talking to Tess, while Joe sat in a circle with a group of boys under a shade tree. Ben looked around once more for his oldest son. When he didn’t see him, he called to Hoss.

Tess and Hoss made their way across the busy town street. "Did you call for me, Pa?"

"Where’s your brother?" Ben asked, as he tugged his gloves on his hands.

Hoss pointed to where Joe was under the shade tree. "He’s over there, Pa."

Ben closed his eyes for a moment. "Not that brother, Hoss, your other one."

"Oh, he’s in the Trading Post talkin’ to Eli."

Ben raised an eyebrow, and Hoss stammered, "I mean, Mr. Orowitz."

"Tess, if you have a moment, Joseph would like to speak to you about something." Ben quickly changed the subject.

"Of course, Mr. Cartwright," Tess replied, as she turned to watch Joe under the tree.

Ben raised his hand near his mouth and shouted, "Joseph!!"

At the sound of his father’s voice, Joe jumped to his feet and made his way to where he was standing. "Did ya need me, Pa?"

Ben motioned with his right hand. "Don’t you have something to say to Tess?"

"Yeah, I guess so." Joe turned on his boot heels to face the young girl. "I guess I’m sorry for hitting you."

Ben placed his hand on Joe’s shoulder and Joe stiffened slightly. "I mean I am sorry for hitting you. It won’t ever happen again."

"It’s fine Joe. All is forgiven." Tess smiled as her face slightly flushed. She then noticed her mother waving to her to come get in the buggy to go home. "Bye, Hoss, see ya later."

Hoss licked his lower lip. "Yeah. See ya later."

"Hoss go find your brother, please, so we can head home," Ben said, as he walked Tess over to the buggy and helped her in.

"Ben? How about a picnic on Saturday--all of us, of course. Hop Sing is welcome to come too." Maggie’s face had a pleading look on it. She wanted so much to spend a little more time with Ben.

Ben’s face lit up like a sparkler on the Fourth of July. "I think that would be wonderful. Is around noon alright?"

"That will be fine. Meet us by the crooked oak tree. Don’t worry about bringing anything, Tess and I will take care of all the food." Maggie was now grinning from ear to ear, the excitement in her eyes was almost amusing. As she lifted the reins she turned and said a final farewell, "See you on Saturday!!"

Ben lifted his hand to wave and watched as the buggy pulled out of sight. He then turned his attention back to his own family that was waiting by the wagon. Hoss had found Adam in the Trading Post and they had hurried back to see the whole scene between Mrs. Green and their father.

As Ben walked to the wagon, his two eldest sons were slightly smirking, while his youngest had a frown on his face.

Ben grabbed the side of the wagon and pulled himself onto the wooden seat. "What?" he asked, as if nothing had happened.

Adam jumped in the seat beside his father, while Hoss and Joe got comfortable in the back.

"We saw you talking to Mrs. Green, Pa. What was that all about?" Adam pulled his hat down over his blue eyes.

"What do you mean, son?" Ben asked, at he led the horses down the dusty road.

"I don’t know, Pa. It just seems to me that once you talked to Margaret...uhhh...I mean, Mrs. Green, sir, that you all of the sudden are in a better mood." Adam shifted his bottom on the wooden seat trying to become more comfortable.

"Well, Adam, I am. Mrs. Green invited all of us to a picnic on Saturday, Hop Sing too--her treat."

Hoss sat up on his knees. "A picnic! I love picnics. Will Tess be there?"

Ben glanced over his shoulder. "I’m sure she will, since she is helping prepare the food."

Hoss smiled and sat back down in the wagon.

"Pa, do I have to go??" Joe asked, shouting over the sound of the horses hooves.

"Yes, you do. You love picnics, Joseph. Why would you not want to go?" Ben slowed the horses so he could listen to his youngest son’s explanation.

Joe shrugged his shoulder. "I just don’t want to hang around with Tess and Mrs. Green all day on a Saturday. I think I would rather clean the outhouse."

Ben pulled the horses to a stop in the middle of the road. He then turned around so he could look at Joe in the eyes. "It would do you well, young man, to remember your manners on Saturday. You are going to the picnic with the rest of the family and you will behave yourself as you have been taught. Do I make myself clear?"

Joe gulped. The look on Pa’s face was not a nice one. Joe nodded his head. "Yes, sir."

Ben then once again flicked the reins and the family was heading home. Adam slid Hoss a concerned look. He had a feeling that more was to come from Joe’s statement.

When the wagon pulled in front of the barn, Joe was the first one out. He was still brooding over this whole picnic thing and was making his feelings quite clear to the whole family. Hoss and Adam took care of the horses, while Ben went into the house to tell Hop Sing about the Saturday plans.

 

That evening as the family sat around the fire after supper, they discussed what fun they would have on their Saturday luncheon. Hoss was so excited he couldn’t sit still, while Adam was looking forward to some time by the lake to read. Even Hop Sing was delighted--he was not going to have to prepare a noon meal on that day. He would get to enjoy the dishes of someone else.

Then there was Joe. He sat sulking, not saying a word, answering questions in a clipped tone only when he was asked. Ben was becoming so frustrated with his youngest son that he found his own attitude becoming oppressive.

"Joseph, if you can’t join in the conversation and act appropriately then I suggest that you go to bed." Ben waved his hand toward the closed bunk door.

Joe stood up, crossed his arms, and stomped as loud as he could to his room. He then slammed the door behind. Ben ran his hand down his face. He had been trying to prevent having to punish his youngest before bed, but his actions made it much too difficult.

Hoss and Adam slid brotherly looks at each other while Ben excused himself, so he could speak to his youngest offspring.

Ben went to the bunk room and entered without knocking. Joe jumped to his feet when his father stepped into the room.

Ben took a couple of long strides, grabbed his youngest son by the arm, whirled him around, and gave his bottom a few good swats. When he turned Little Joe back around, there were tears streaming down his dirty face and his bottom lip was quivering.

"Joseph, you do know why I just did that, don’t you?" Ben sit down on his heels so he was looking his young son in the face.

Joe shook his head up and down. "Yes, Pa," he answered in a soft whisper.

"Why? Why did I just spank you?"

"Cause you’re tired of my sulking. And when you told me to go to bed, I stomped to my room and then I slammed the door. I suppose I was being disrespectful?"

Ben handed Joe his handkerchief, and Joe wiped his nose. "I will not tolerate any of my children being disrespectful, and you know it. I don’t know what this is all about, young man, but I suggest you straighten up. If you don’t, I have a feeling you will be one unhappy lad. Do you understand?"

Joe tried to hand his father back the used handkerchief, but Ben declined. "Now, I want you to wash your face and hands and get ready for bed. I think a few extra chores tomorrow might help your attitude."

"Yes, sir." Joe then turned and went to the wash basin. He quickly splashed water on his reddened eyes and washed his face. He then applied soap to his hands and washed them thoroughly. Once he was finished he dried off on the soft clean towel that hung on the stand. Ben then helped his baby change into a clean nightshirt and tucked him into bed.

"I love you, Joseph. You do know that, don’t you?" Ben brushed a piece of hair off Little Joe’s forehead.

"Yes, Pa. I love you too."

Ben then leaned over and pressed his lips on his son’s forehead. "Goodnight, Joseph."

"Night, Pa." Joe rolled over onto his stomach and within a few moments he was fast asleep.

 

The next couple of days went by without any new incidents. It would not be until the Saturday’s picnic that things would once again become interesting.

When picnic day finally arrived, Ben was almost as excited as his three sons. After everyone had finished with the morning chores, they took baths and changed into clean clothes.

Hop Sing loaded the wagon with a couple of blankets, and even though he did not have to, he took a couple of apple pies along with some sugar cookies.

Adam found the book that he had been trying to read, while Hoss put the fishing poles in the back of the wagon and then went to find some bait.

At last everything was loaded, and it was time to leave. Adam, Hoss, and Hop Sing loaded into the wagon and waited for Ben and Joe. The only problem was Joe could not be found anywhere.

"Have you seen your brother?" Ben called to his two eldest who were waiting patiently.

"NO, PA!" Hoss shouted, as his father scurried into the barn.

"Joseph! Joseph!" Ben called, "young man, if you are in here, you had best come out right now!"

Ben then heard a shuffle of feet in the hayloft. "Joseph, I’m not playing, son."

Joe popped his head over the side of the hayloft opening. Ben frowned at his son. "What are you doing up there?"

"Nothin’," Joe said in his most innocent voice.

"Come on, everyone is waiting." Ben motioned for Joe to come down from his hiding place.

Joe obediently climbed down and, as slow as he could, walked to the wagon with his father behind him.

Once the whole family was loaded up, they headed to meet their friends at the old crooked oak. As they headed down the dusty road, Ben reminded Joe that he was to be on his best behavior.

As the oak tree came into view, Ben could see that Maggie had already spread out a gingham blanket, and there was a basket setting in the middle of it.

But better than the basket was Margaret herself. Ben noticed immediately that she wore a lovely green dress trimmed in a soft lace. Her hair was pulled up on the side, letting just a little hang onto her face. And her smile, Ben noticed, her smile was brighter than what he remembered.

He could feel his hands starting to sweat and his heart beat faster. He wanted to touch her soft lips with his and to take in the smell of her sweet perfume. But he knew that those things would have to wait--in time maybe, but not yet. He would have to be very patient; and in time, if things were meant to be, they would happen.

Ben pulled the wagon to a stop behind the buggy that belonged to Margaret. He then helped Hop Sing carry the pies and cookies to the blanket.

When Margaret heard Ben approaching, she had stood up so she could smooth out the skirts of her dress.

"Well, Ben, I’m glad you made it." She flashed a smile at Ben, as she tucked a strand of lose hair behind her ear.

Ben smiled back. "I wouldn’t miss it for the world." He then handed Tess the pie that Hop Sing had made.

"I think we should eat first, then we can sit and talk for awhile. This will give Little Joe some time to fish, and his brothers can relax." Margaret noticed Little Joe standing behind his father and she reached to ruffle his hair.

Without even thinking Joe jerked his head away from the older woman. Maggie took a deep breath and sighed, "Sorry, Joseph. I didn’t mean to startle you."

Joe just glared at Margaret. He didn’t say one word and the tension in the air could have been cut with a knife.

Ben finally rested his hand on his young son’s shoulder. "So, did someone say something about food?"

Joe glanced over his shoulder to look at his father’s face, Ben gave him a stern look, a warning look. But Joe was not going to heed any warning today. He was determined to be as unpleasant as he could.

Everyone sat on the blanket eating the wonderful meal that Maggie had prepared, everyone except Joe.

Joe sat with a frown on his face, as he pushed his food around on his plate. Ben reached over and tapped the glassware with his fork. "Joseph, you need to eat, son."

Joe looked at his father from the top of his eyes. "Yes, Pa." He then took one very small bite.

Maggie stood and gathered the dirty dishes so she could wash them in the lake. "Is anyone ready for some pie?" She asked, as she picked up the last of the dishes.

Hoss patted his stomach. "None for me, Mrs. Green. I’m plum full, maybe later."

Hop Sing and Adam each gave the same answer as Hoss. They each then scattered to enjoy the rest of the day. Hoss and Tess went for a short walk, while Adam went to the edge of the lake to read a book he had brought with him. Hop Sing took a small basket and decided to try to find some fresh berries.

This left Ben, Maggie, and Joseph by themselves. Ben leaned against the tall oak tree and watched Maggie walk to the sparkling water to do the dishes.

Ben had only closed his eyes for just a moment, but that’s all Joe needed. There was a SPLASH, then Ben heard Maggie screaming.

"JOSEPH CARTWRIGHT, just why did you do that?" Ben’s head shot up, he saw Maggie standing in the shallow blue water yelling at his youngest son.

Joe was standing on the bank laughing as hard as he could and pointing at the wet Mrs. Green.

Ben leapt to his feet and headed to where the scene was unfolding When he reached the edge of the bank he couldn’t help but smile. "It’s a bit too cool for a swim, isn’t it, Maggie?"

Margaret looked up at Ben, a frown on her face. "I was not swimming, Benjamin Cartwright. I was pushed into the water."

Ben’s smile quickly turned into displeasure. "Pushed?"

"Yes, pushed. Your son pushed me in while I was bent over doing the dishes." Maggie pointed to the young boy, who by this time had stopped all laughing.

Ben spoke in a low voice, "Jo-seph, did you push Maggie into the lake??"

"Umm...well...I bumped her." Joe took a step back, as his father helped an angry Mrs. Green out of the cold water.

"Joseph Cartwright, such lies from you." Maggie lifted her skirt and started to shake the water out the best she could.

"Let’s get you warmed up." Ben placed his hand on Maggie’s shoulder and led her to the wagon. As they walked, he turned and motioned for Joe to follow.

"Joseph, go have a seat under the tree. I’ll be back in a moment."

Maggie and Ben walked and stood by the wagon and buggy, Ben reached into the back and lifted out a clean dry blanket that Hop Sing had brought--just in case.

He unfolded the blanket and carefully placed it around Margaret’s shoulders. She brought the blanket closer to her to get warm. Ben then noticed she was shivering. He placed his strong arms around her and moved her body closer to his.

Maggie laid her head upon his chest, listening to his heart beat. "Ben..." She started to speak, but he placed his fingers to her lips.

He then brushed a piece of wild hair out her eyes, bending ever so slightly he placed his lips upon hers. For just a moment, they each enjoyed the moist soft kiss. Maggie brought her head up so she could look Ben in the face. "Ben, I think you had better go speak to Little Joe."

"I’ll speak to Joseph in a minute. I just want to hold you for a second longer." Ben placed his chin on the top of Maggie’s head. They stood like this for a long time, until they heard the shuffling of feet in the distance.

When they broke apart, Margaret’s heart felt like it was going to jump out of her chest. Ben one last time ran his hand down her exposed arm, giving her shivers at his touch. Maggie then proceeded to dry off the best she could, while Ben went to go speak to his son.

Ben walked to where Little Joe was sitting. "Joseph, don’t you think you owe Maggie and apology?"

"Nope." Joe crossed his arms across his chest as he leaned back onto the tree.

"I beg you pardon?" Ben furrowed his eyebrows as he placed his hands on his hips.

By now Hoss and Tess had come back from their walk. They stood at a distance and watched as Ben scolded the young lad.

"Nope?" How dare Joseph speak to him with such disrespect. If this young man did not straighten up and quickly, he would just have to impress upon him how dissatisfied he was with his behavior.

Ben bent and sat on his heels. "Jo-seph, I suggest you correct your attitude and that you do so swiftly."

"I don’t reckon I owe Mrs. Green nothin’, so I decided that I ain’t goin’ to apologize." Joe jutted out his chin.

Ben ran his hand over his face. Why was Joe being so difficult? "Jo-seph, that’s enough. You will be more respectful, you will obey me, and you will apologize to Mrs. Green. We will discuss this further when we get home. I hope I am making myself clear?"

Joe studied his father’s face for a few moments. He looked deep into Ben’s eyes trying to read his emotions. When Joe realized that his father was fuming with anger, he promptly hopped to his feet and ran to the wagon where Mrs. Green was standing.

Joe reached up and tugged at the blanket wrapped around Maggie. "I’m sorry for pushing you in the water, Mrs. Green. It won’t happen again."

Maggie lifted her hand and placed it on the little boy’s shoulder. "I accept your apology. We will not mention it again."

Maggie raised her head as Ben walked up the embankment to join the couple. "Joseph, did you tell Mrs. Green you were sorry?"

Joe shook his head. "Yes, sir."

Hoss and Tess appeared out of the bushes. "Ma, what happened to you?" Tess asked, as she stepped to stand by her mother.

"It was an accident, Tess. Don’t worry about it. Ben, I believe this picnic is over. I have to get home and get into some dry clothes." Maggie took the blanket off her shoulders and laid it in the back of the wagon. "Tess please gather our things so we can be on our way."

"Yes, Ma." Tess walked over and gathered the picnic basket, while Hoss gathered the blanket. They then carried the items to the buggy and placed them in the back

"Ma, we’re all ready to go," Tess called to where her mother was standing. She then turned to Hoss. "Thanks for helping me, Hoss."

Hoss lowered his head. "Weren’t no problem at all, Tess."

Hoss helped Tess into the buggy, while Ben and Maggie said their goodbyes.

"Joseph, go find your brother please, and Hop Sing." Ben waved his hand toward the lake.

Joe sighed, "Yes, sir." He then trudged away.

"Maggie, I’m really sorry about Joseph’s behavior. I will be speaking to him when we get home. I will not tolerate his attitude." Ben took a step closer to Maggie.

"Its fine, Ben. I think he is a bit jealous."

Ben reached up and touched Margaret’s cheek. "It’s not fine. My son knows better. He knows how to behave and how to be respectful.’ Ben touched her lips with his fingers and whispered, "Especially when it comes to someone so special."

Maggie felt herself blushing. "Thank you, Ben." She lifted her hand to touch his. "We better be going."

Ben then helped her into the buggy. "I’ll see you soon." He waved as the buggy pulled out of sight.

Within a few moments Little Joe had returned with Adam and Hop Sing.

As Adam loaded into the wagon, he looked at his father and asked, "Pa, what happened?"

Ben picked up the reins. "Don’t worry about it, Adam. Its really not your problem." Ben glanced to the back of the wagon, looking at his youngest son. "I do believe your youngest brother is the one that should be worried."

Adam raised an eyebrow. "Pa?"

"Yes, Adam."

"I only have one question."

"Yes."

"Why was Mrs. Green all wet?"

Joe started to choke at Adam’s question, and Hoss started to beat him on the back.

"Never you mind. It’s Joseph’s problem not yours." With the flick of the reins, the Cartwright family was heading back to the Ponderosa.

As they neared the ranch, Joe was starting to shift around in the back of the wagon. He knew he was in trouble, but he didn’t know what Pa was going to do about it. Not knowing is very hard when you are a kid.

Ben brought the wagon to a stop in front of the barn. "Adam, Hoss, please take care of the horses, then help Hop Sing carry in the blankets. Joe you can go wait in your room for me, please."

Joe turned and scampered to the house as his brothers started to do the task asked of them. Hop Sing decided to stay in the barn and help. He knew Joe was in some type of trouble, even though he did not know what it was.

Joe stepped into the house and laid his hat on table. He turned and went into his room, shutting the door behind him. Moving to the bed, Joe started to try to figure out how he was going to explain what happened to his pa. Pushing Mrs. Green into the lake really was not an accident, and Joe knew that Pa knew that it wasn’t.

The young boy went and sat on the edge of his bed and waited for his father to appear. It wasn’t long before Joe heard the front door open and close. He then heard boot steps headed for his bedroom door.

Joe gulped as the door opened and Ben walked inside. Ben placed his hands on his hips as he began to speak to his mischievous son.

Ben motioned for Joe to stand up. "Would you like to tell me about it?"

Joe had an odd look on his face. "About what, Pa?"

"About why you pushed Mrs. Green into the lake." Pa moved over and leaned against Adam’s bunk.

"Oh." Joe wrinkled his face. "Ummmm....well, I don’t know why I did it, Pa. It just sorta, ya know, happened."

"I see. Well, could you please explain how it ‘sorta’ happened?"

Joe took a deep breath. "Well, ya see, Mag. . .umm. . .Mrs. Green, well, she was bending over washin’ the dishes. Well you know, her bottom was sorta stickin’ in the air; and, well, I snuck up behind her and pushed her in. It was real funny, Pa. You should have seen her face."

Ben’s face didn’t have any type of funny look on it. "Joseph, she could have been hurt."

"But Pa, she wasn’t!!" Joe yelled.

"Please don’t raise your voice to me. You know better." Ben took a step closer to Joe. Joe backed up against his bunk.

"Sorry, Pa."

"Son, sometimes sorry is not good enough. You were disrespectful to Mrs. Green today and to me when you informed me you would not apologize which by the way, had better not ever happen again."

Ben tapped the tip of Joe’s nose. "I think you could use some time in your room tonight. And you’re on restriction until I say otherwise. I believe some extra chores would do you good."

Joe let out a slight groan. "Yes, sir."

"Joseph, next time I won’t be so lenient. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Pa, I understand."

Ben then turned and left the room, leaving his son to think about the things he had done wrong. Joe knew he was lucky. Pa hadn’t spanked him, but next time he would not be so blessed. Joe decided right then and there that next time he would not be caught.

As Ben walked to the barn, he could not help but wonder why his young son was misbehaving so. He had never had these types of problems from Joe before. The boy was always into some sort of mischief but he never was out to actually harm someone. Ben determined that he would have to pay closer attention to his youngest, maybe he would find out what the young man was thinking.

Over the next several days, Ben kept Joe busy doing multiple chores around the ranch. If the lad looked as if he had nothing to do, Ben found him something to do. The barn, hen house, tack room, and house had never been cleaner. The wood had been stacked over and over again until it was the neatest wood pile in all of Eagle Sation.

Finally Ben announced that there would be a dance at the town hall. Adam and Hoss immediately began planning on whom they would ask to the function. Hop Sing started to plan what dishes he would make to take on behalf of the Cartwright family. Ben had decided that he would ask Margaret to be his date.

Joe, on the other hand, was trying to find a way to stay at home.

"Paaaaa...." Joe whined, "do I have to go to this dance?"

"Yes, Joe." Pa took another sip of his hot tea.

"But why, Pa? I don’t like dumb ole girls." Joe flapped his arms in the air. "So I don’t see no reason for me havin’ to go."

"Joseph, the whole family is going to go, including you, young man."

Joe jumped out of his chair and stamped his foot. "Pa, that ain’t fair." He then crossed his arms, stuck out his chin, and began to sulk.

"Jo-seph." Ben made Joe’s name sound much longer than it actually was.

"It ain’t fair, Pa, and you know it!" Joe yelled, as he once again stamped his small foot on the wooden floor.

Ben raised his eyebrows. "Young man, everyone is going to this dance, including Hop Sing. I can’t leave you home by yourself. I also believe you need to find yourself a corner." Ben motioned to the corner by the bunk room door.

"Corner? Bu--but, Pa, I’m too old to have to stand in the corner." Joe’s bottom lip poked out as he once again started to pout.

Ben did not say a word, he pointed his large hand toward the awaiting corner as he glared at his son.

Joe took the warning, turned and headed for the area that his father had pointed to. Ben rose from the table and took his dirty cup to the dishpan.

"Little Joe, I’m not sure what is going on with you, but I hope you straighten up and soon." Ben went back to the table and pulled out the ledgers.

Joe sighed deeply, hoping to get his father’s attention. But Ben simply looked at the back of his son’s head and started to work on the books.

"Pa?" Joe spoke in a soft whisper.

"Mmm."

"How long do I have to stand here?" Joe shifted on his feet.

Ben raised his pencil and pointed at Joe. "Until your attitude is better, Joseph."

Joe crossed his arms across his small chest. "How long do you think that will take?"

"Jo-seph, I’ll let you know when you may get out of the corner. Now, I would appreciate it if you would face the wall and be quiet, please." Ben started to work on the books.

Joe stood in the corner for what seemed like days and days.

"Little Joe, you may do your chores." Ben spoke as he added numbers in the ledger.

Joe turned away from the dreaded corner and practically ran from the house.

"Joe, walk don’t run, please."

"Yes, Pa." Joe reached for the door knob and headed outside to do his chores. As he stepped onto the porch he took in the fresh air and moved into the warm sunlight. He stood for a moment and looked around the massive yard. Joe would much rather be outside any day than be cooped up in the house.

He headed for the barn. Adam and Hoss had already started mucking the stalls when Joe walked in.

"Where ya been, little brother?" Hoss shuffled some straw into the stall.

Joe scuffed the toe of his boot into the dirt. "I was in the house standin’ in the corner."

"What did you do this time?" Adam stopped and wiped his hand across his forehead.

"I didn’t do nothin’--well not that much of anything."

"Well, Pa is getting real tired of that nasty attitude of yours. I’m not sure how much more he is going to take before he gets to the ‘bottom’ of the situation." Adam lowered his eyes to Little Joe’s behind.

"Yeah. You better act real nice to Mrs. Green when we go to the dance." Hoss leaned the pitchfork against the wall of the barn.

Joe’s eyes widened in shock. "What do you mean Mrs. Green?"

"Pa asked Mrs. Green to go to the dance with him. And you had better behave yourself." Adam leaned his pitchfork besides Hoss’ and they headed out of the barn to go work on other things that needed to be done.

Joe stood in the barn, tears in his emerald green eyes. Pa invited Mrs. Green! How could he do that? What about Ma? Did Pa not love her anymore?"

Joe turned and ran from the barn as fast as he could. He didn’t even really know where he was going, but he had to get away.

Adam and Hoss watched as Joe disappeared into the trees. "JOE!! Where are you going?" Adam tried to call to his smallest brother, but Joe did not acknowledge Adam’s call.

Joe ran and ran. He didn’t stop for the longest time and when he finally did, he wasn’t sure where he was. He sat on a fallen log and placed his head in his hands. The tears started to come heavier as his thoughts turned to when his mother was alive. Joe hated Mrs. Green. He hated that she was trying to take his mother’s place. He hated the way his pa looked at her when she was around. He hated everything about her.

As Joe ran his sleeve over his nose, he decided then and there that this was it. He would have to do something about this growing relationship between Mrs. Green and his father. And it would have to be done soon, real soon. Joe nodded his head as the most wonderful idea came into his head. A devilish grin formed on his face as his thoughts turned to what would happen at the upcoming dance.

Joe looked around trying to find his bearings. He had wandered much further away from home than he had first realized. It occurred to Joe that he had no idea where he was. He was deep into the woods. He started to panic worrying how he would find hi way home. What was it Pa said about getting lost? Hmmm, sit still and wait for someone to find you. Yeah, that was it. Joe sat back on the tree and waited patiently. How long would it be before someone missed him? Pa wasn’t going to be very happy about him running off--he was on restriction.

"Adam, where is your bother?" Ben asked, as he stepped out into the yard.

Adam looked up from the chore he was doing and pointed to the trees in the distance. "He ran that way awhile ago, Pa."

Ben’s eyes narrowed. "That young man is still on restriction! What was he thinking taking off like that?"

Adam shrugged his shoulders. "I don’t know, Pa. Do you want me to go find him?"

"Please, go find him and bring him home."

"Yes, sir." Adam turned to go saddle his horse.

Ben walked back in the house so he could try to get his temper under control before Adam returned with Joseph.

Adam slowly rode Beauty into the woods. The trees were so tall and dense that they blocked out most of the sunlight. Streaks of light came through the mighty pines making the surroundings look slightly eerie.

"Joseph!!! Where are you?" Adam called, as he held his hand to his mouth. He looked around when he heard a rustling in the weeds. He slowed his horse to take a closer look, but it was only a squirrel.

Adam rode for quite some time shouting, "JOSEPH!" until his throat was sore.

Joe sat pouting in the same spot. Nobody will ever find me. He then listened to the wind as it whistled through the trees. "It sounds like you’re calling my name, stupid trees," he spoke aloud to no one in particular.

"JOSEPH!" Adam called once again.

Joe jumped to his feet. That was his name and it wasn’t just the wind! "I’m here," Joe shouted as loud as he could.

Adam stopped his horse so he could listen carefully. "JOE?"

"I’M HERE!" Joe called once again.

"Where?" Adam called back.

Joe was so relieved that someone had found him. "I’M THIS WAY!!"

Adam rode in the direction of the small voice. "Stay put Joe, but keep yelling"

"OKAY!"

Beauty stepped through a clump of bushes, and there sitting on a log was Joseph Cartwright. Adam slid of the horse’s back and ran over to his little brother. "Are you alright?" He looked Joe over from head to toe.

Joe shook his head. "Yep, I’m fine. But, boy, am I glad you found me." Joe flung his arms around his older brother’s neck.

"Why did you run off like that?" Adam lifted Joe and placed him on Beauty’s back.

"I just needed some time by myself, that’s all."

Adam mounted up behind his little brother. "Joe, Pa is real mad."

Joe looked over his shoulder at Adam. "How mad?"

Adam nudged his horse. "Real mad. He said something about you being on restriction. Joe, if I were you, I would be thinking of a better reason than I needed some time alone."

Joe took in a deep breath of air. "I’m in big trouble huh?"

"Yep"

The sun was starting to set when the two boys rode into the yard. Ben had stepped out onto the porch when he had heard a horse come into the yard. Adam brought Beauty to a stop in front of the open barn door and slid off the back of his horse. He reached up and helped Joe from Beauty. Joe took off his hat and dusted it against his pants leg.

Ben took a few long strides across the clearing and within a moment was standing in front of his two sons. He crossed his arms across his broad chest. "Where have you been, young man?"

Adam started to speak, "I found him in the woods, Pa. He was lost, but he stayed put until I found him."

Ben raised his hand and rubbed his chin. "I see. Joseph, would you like to explain why you ran off like that?"

Joe quickly looked down at the ground and mumbled, "ummm.." He did not really know what to say. He didn’t want Pa to know that it was because of Mrs. Green.

"Did you forget you were on restriction?"

Joe scuffed the toe of his boot in the dirt. "Well, no, sir"

Ben was becoming very impatient. "Well, if you did not forget, why did you leave the yard?"

Joe twisted his mouth to the left and wrinkled his nose. "Well, Pa...I just needed some time to myself."

"Time to yourself? You couldn’t do that in the hayloft or in your room?" Ben motioned for Joe to follow him to the house.

Adam had moved into the barn to take care of his horse.

"So, you needed time alone, and you chose to run into the woods–where you are not allowed even when you’re not on restriction?" Ben put his arm around Joe’s shoulder and guided him through the front door.

When they entered Hoss jumped to his feet and suggested that he go help Adam with the horses. Hop Sing quickly exited through the back door.

Ben directed Joe to stand in front of the fireplace. Ben then paced back in forth in front of his young son, clenching and unclenching his fists as he did so.

Ben stopped and studied his son’s face. "Tomorrow I have to finish the ledgers. You can spend the day sitting at the table learning some Bible verses. When you’re done learning the verses, you can sit and think about what you did wrong. If you’re not careful, young man, you will not be sitting at that table comfortably. As for the rest of today, you may go get ready for bed. I had better not see you again until morning, unless you need to go to the outhouse. I hope I am understood."

Joe looked at his father from the top of his eyes. "Yes, sir."

Ben moved his eyes to the bunk room door. "I think you may be on your way."

Joe went to the bunk room, slowly closing the door behind himself. He proceeded to take off his clothes and slid into a clean night shirt. Joe wasn’t really sleepy, not even tired, but Pa wanted him to think about everything he had done wrong lately. He slid under the covers and rested his hands behind his head. Sitting all day at the table reading Bible verses, YUCK. The thought of it made Joe want to cry. He hated sitting still even for just five minutes.

Suddenly the door opened into the room and Ben moved over and sat on Joe’s bed. "Joe, you know I love you, right?"

Joe looked into his father’s eyes, his green ones brimming with tears. "Yes, Pa."

Ben leaned over and kissed his young son on the forehead. "Goodnight, Joe." He then ruffled the lad’s hair as he stood to leave the room.

Joe sighed as the door closed then he rolled over and closed his eyes tightly. He was trying to hold back the tears that were getting ready to fall down his freckled face. When he no longer could, he softly wept into his pillow.

The next day was just awful for Joe. Sitting at the table the whole day was the world’s worst punishment. Well, if you are a twelve year old boy it is. Ben made Joe learn twenty five Bible verses. This, of course, took most of the day. The rest of the time Joe just had to sit and think. Ben did allow him to set the dinner table for Hop Sing and to help with the dishes afterward.

Friday morning Ben reminded the boys that they would need to try to get their chores finished early.

Joe tugged as his fathers sleeve. "How come, Pa?"

"Tonight is the dance. I want everyone to have a bath this afternoon."

"Paaa...a bath? On Friday? No dance is worth that." Joe threw his hands into the air. "Do I have to go?"

Ben closed his eyes for a moment. "Jo-seph, we have already been through this. You are going, and that is final."

"Fine. I’ll go, but I won’t have fun." Joe muttered under his breath as he left to room to go start his chores.

As the day went on, Joseph’s mood grew worse and worse. As he thought about having to take a hideous bath on Friday instead of Saturday, the dark cloud following him only grew larger. Then his thoughts shifted to Mrs. Green. Why did Pa want to go to the dance with her? Did he not love his mother anymore?

 

That evening the family drove into town silently, Joe sulking all the way there.

"Joseph, you’re going to trip over that lip if it gets any lower, son." Ben’s voice was serious. He wanted his young son to lose his attitude before arriving at the town hall.

Once they arrived at the town hall, the boys hopped out of the wagon and headed inside. Joe hung around the food table and ate sweet desserts till he felt sick. Adam and Hoss each danced with a various amount of girls.

Ben and Maggie glided along the dance floor hand in hand. When the music stopped, they stood and giggled to themselves.

This is when a fury overcame young Joseph Cartwright. He had seen enough. His pa was suppose to love his ma and only her. How dare Pa act as if he is having a good time with Mrs. Green.

Joe made his way onto the crowded dance floor. He stopped directly in front of Ben and Maggie.

"Hi, Little Joe," Maggie spoke, as she tried to catch her breath.

Joe stood with a scowl on his young face. "Don’t ‘hi’ me, Mrs. Green!" Joe almost shouted the words.

Ben glared at his young son. "Joseph? What do you think you are doing, son?"

"I think I should be asking you the same, Pa." Joe’s voice was low. Ben was completely confused about the whole situation.

"Excuse us, Maggie." Ben placed his hand on Joe’s back and led him to the doorway.

They both stepped out into the cool night air. Ben glanced around to find a private spot for them to speak.

He then guided his belligerent son into the alleyway beside the town hall. The only light was that which came from the small windows in the side of the building.

Ben turned Joe to face him. "What is going on with you? You know better than to speak to Mrs. Green the way you did. And how dare you speak to me like you just did. Joseph, you know better. Do you not?"

Joe quickly glanced down at his feet. "Yes, sir," he whispered under his breath.

"Well?" Ben threw his hands in the air.

A single tear trickled down the young boy’s face. "Pa, you don’t understand."

Ben gently lifted his son’s chin. "I don’t understand what?"

Joe started crying harder. He leaned into Ben’s chest and hugged his father tight.

"Joe? Calm down, son." Ben patted the boy on the back. "Let’s go back inside. I want you to apologize to Mrs. Green and then we will go home. We’ll talk about what is bothering you there, okay?" Ben brushed the hair out of the boy’s eyes as Joe nodded.

They both walked back into the town hall. As they entered they searched around the room for Mrs. Green.

Ben then followed his son over to where she stood.

Maggie smiled. "Ben?" She reached over to touch Joe on the head but he jerked back. Her smiled turned into a slight frown.

Joe raised his head. "I’m sorry for being rude, Mrs. Green."

"It’s all right Joe." Maggie sighed and then turned to Ben and asked, "Ben, join me in the next dance?"

"No. . .Maggie, I’m very sorry, but we are going to be leaving. I hope you understand?"

Maggie nodded. "Of course I do, Ben."

Ben smiled. "Joe, go find your brothers and Hop Sing. Let them know that we are leaving."

"Yes, Pa." Joe turned and hurried to find the rest of his family.

"Maggie, I’m so sorry that I have to leave so soon. I have no idea what is wrong with Joe lately. I’m going to take him home and have a serious talk with him." Ben reached up at touched Maggie softly on her face. "I’m sorry I’m going to miss the rest of the evening with you."

Margaret’s eyes sparkled as she reached up and touched Ben on his hand. "I’ll miss it too. But we will see each other later, I hope."

They were interrupted by Little Joe who had run up to the couple followed by Adam and Hoss.

Joe smiled broadly. "I found them, Pa, just like you asked."

"Fine, Joseph." Ben placed his hand on Joe’s shoulder.

"Awww, Pa, do we have to go?" Hoss asked, as he made a face.

Adam grinned. "Pa, can’t we stay a bit longer? We’re having a good time."

Ben pulled his pocket watch out of his vest pocket. "You may stay if you promise to be home no later than midnight. Do you understand?"

"Pa, we understand. Don’t we, Hoss?" Adam turned to look at his younger brother.

Hoss nodded his head as he smiled. "Sure, Pa, we understand."

"Fine. Have a good time, boys. Come along, Joe. Let’s go get the horses and head home. Boys, please let Hop Sing know that Joe and I have left."

"Sure thing, Pa." In one swift motion Hoss turned and headed back into the crowd, as Adam started talking to the young girl standing on his right.

Ben and Joe left the town hall and headed to the livery to retrieve their horses. As they rode home Ben pointed out the beautiful stars that dotted the midnight sky. Joe said nothing--he was in deep thought. He was trying to think of how he was going to explain his outburst to his father once they arrived home.

Finally after what seemed like forever, the pair trotted into the yard. "Joe, I’ll take care of the horses. Why don’t you go get cleaned up and ready yourself for bed."

Joe slowly slid off of Paint’s back. "Yes, sir." He then headed for the house so he could do what he was asked.

Joe walked into the small cabin. Only the moonlight shone through the windows, helping Joe see. Tears threatened to spill over as he made his way to the bunk room to change into his night clothes.

He slipped out of his dusty clothes and slipped on a fresh crisp nightshirt. He then sat on the side of the bed and waited for his father to come into the house.

It was only a few minutes later that Ben walked into the boys’ bunk room. Joe was waiting ever so patiently for him. Ben moved over and sat on Adam’s bed directly across from Joe.

"Joe, do you want to tell me about what’s going on with you?" Ben asked as he rested his elbows on his knees.

Joe sucked in a large breath of air. "I. . .I. . .don’t know what to say, Pa."

"Jo-seph, you know I will not allow you to speak to adults the way you spoke to Mrs. Green tonight. Now, I know there is something bothering you. Unless you tell me what it is, I don’t know how I can help."

Joe looked at the floor as the tears he was holding back spilled over onto his young pale face. He jumped up from his bed and ran into his father’s arms, hugging him with all his might.

Ben was amazed. This is not what he was expecting at all. Ben wrapped his arms around the weeping child and held him tight.

"Pa, I just don’t understand," Joe said between sobs.

Ben tightened his hold. "Understand what, Joe?"

"Why. . .why don’t you love ma anymore? Why, Pa--why don’t you love her?" Joe shook as the he laid his head on his father’s broad chest.

Ben relaxed his arms, though on his face there was a deep frown. "Joseph, what on earth are you talking about? I have never stopped loving your mother. Not ever, Joseph. Why would you think such a thing? I don’t understand."

Joe wiped his arm across his nose as he straightened up. "It’s ‘cuz you like Mrs. Green now, Pa. I just never thought you would stop loving my ma."

"Joe, I have never stopped loving your mother. I thought we had this cleared up long ago." Ben fished in his pocket and pulled out his handkerchief. He then handed it to his son.

Joe blew his nose. "But, Pa, you are always wantin’ to spend all your time with her. You don’t want to do things with me no more."

"Son, I just like talking with Mrs. Green. We’re friends. I am not ready to marry anyone anytime soon. I still miss your mother every day. It’s just nice to talk to Mrs. Green because she has gone through the same things." Ben placed his hands on Joe’s shoulders. "Joe, I love your mother. I will never love Mrs. Green in that special way. We are just close friends. Do you understand?"

Joe once again leaned against his father’s chest. "Really, Pa? You ain’t goin’ to marry her? You’re just friends?"

"Yes, Joe, but that does not excuse your behavior." Ben once again pushed Joe so he was looking him in the eye. "Next time, young man, I promise you a sound spanking. Understood?"

Joe nodded his head so hard that his bangs fell onto his forehead. "I’m real sorry, Pa. It’s just I thought you were replacing ma. Then Tess had said them things about you maybe wanted to be with her ma. I just guess I was confused. I’m so sorry, Pa."

"It’s okay, Joseph. Now calm down. I want you to lie down and get some rest. Tomorrow everything will seem better." Joe went and laid in his bed. Ben pulled the warm blanket up to his chin. He then he kissed Joe on the cheek.

"Joe, I love you, and your mother, and your brothers–more than anything else on this earth." Ben moved to the door. "Goodnight, Joe."

Joe grinned as he blew out the oil lamp that set beside his bed. "Goodnight, Pa. Love you too."

He then turned over on his side and before he knew it he was fast asleep. He did not even hear his brothers come in the room to go to bed.

Over the next few weeks. Joe’s attitude improved one hundred percent. He no longer became upset when Ben and Maggie did things together. Joe knew that deep inside his father’s love like no other. Ben loved him and his brothers and his mother in a special way that Maggie would never know.

"Joe, come on, son. We’re getting ready to head to the lake," Ben called from the wagon seat.

"Comin’, Pa. Are Tess and Mrs. Green going to be there?" Joe asked, as he scampered into the back of the wagon.

"Yes, they are. And Joe, Mrs. Green mentioned something about you doing the dishes this time."

Joe, Adam and Hoss all stared to laugh out loud. They then headed to the lake to have an enjoyable time as a family and with their new friends.

 

The End

10-31-04