The Raft

By Marion

 

The Ponderosa and the Cartwrights are not mine (except for Annie, of course, and she's still in California.) Thank you to Mr. Dortort for allowing me to play on the Ponderosa for a little while. This story is purely for entertainment and is not intended to infringe on the rights of anyone else involved with Bonanza and Ponderosa.

Thanks as always to my beta readers Nancy and Kierin, for finding my mistakes and making me think...This is the second in a five part series of pre-Ponderosa stories, one from each Cartwright point of view. This is Joe’s story, and any grammatical or spelling errors are his, not mine...

 

The day I met Obie was rainy. Adam would say that describes a lot of the days in Eagle Station, and I s'pose he's right, but it don't change the fact that the day I met Obie was rainy.

The day wasn't too rainy, though, only that drizzly rain that makes everything look streaky insteada clean, like a real rainstorm does. Pa and Adam were at work at the Orowitzes' tradin' post, and Erik was workin' at Frenchy's livery to earn money to make up for the fight he had at Miss Sterritt's saloon. Who'da thought Erik would sneak into a saloon and get drunk and start a fight, but he did it. I expect Pa laid inta him real good, 'cuz Erik's been workin' hard and he says "yes, sir" and "no, ma'am" anytime Pa and Ma ask him something. Golly, I wish I could work for money. 'Course, Erik don't get ta keep any a what he makes, and I reckon he got a tannin', so maybe workin' for Frenchy ain't so grand.

I was glad the day wasn't too rainy, and I think Ma was, too, 'cuz she likes to see me get fresh air, and she's real sad if I haveta stay inside after lessons. I was thinkin' of takin' Molly for a ride – she's our horse, not some dumb girl, but I didn't think Pa would let me, and the last time I took Molly without askin', I regretted it for a long while.

I decided to see if Frenchy had any new horses. He sometimes buys them from emigrants who need the money. One time he had a real Apa..Apaloo…spotted horse. Golly, I never seen a horse like that before! Big Dan, who works for Frenchy, says some Indian tribe up north has lots of them. He says the Indians are called Nez Pears, and Frenchy says that means Pierced Nose in French. I wanted to know how come Indians gave themselves a French name, so I asked Ma, but she didn't know. I asked Adam, and he said lots of things have French names on accounta the French trappers. He said he read about some mountains called the Tetons and that's a French word, but he wouldn't say what it meant. I asked Frenchy and he wouldn't tell me, so I had to ask Ma, but I asked when Pa was around and he asked all sorts of questions about why I wanted to know. Finally I said Adam said it was a French word. Pa nodded and went to talk to Adam. Then Pa came back and he 'splained real quiet so no one else could hear what the word meant, and then I apologized to Ma for askin', even though Pa didn't say I hadta 'pologize, but he did make Adam 'pologize to Ma and me. I was worried that Adam would be mad at me for gettin' him inta trouble, but he wasn't. He said it was his fault. That don't happen much, Adam sayin' he was wrong.

So, I checked with Ma to see was it all right for me to go to Mr. Devereaux's (she don't call him Frenchy), and after I listened to Ma's usual talk about stay out of trouble, don't get in the way, don't go outside the boundaries talk, Ma let me go. I learned to listen real well to her talk 'cuz I didn't once and she figured it out and I couldn't leave the rooms for two days.

She told me to be home for chores as I grabbed my hat and ran down the stairs, takin' care to not slam the door 'cuz that makes her real angry, and if Pa finds out I made Ma angry, he gets angry. I sure don't want Pa to get angry! So, I closed the door real quiet and I ran down the street to the livery, said "hey" to Erik, who told me to stay clear 'cuz he was workin' and then I ran 'round back to see the horses.

I was surprised to see another boy hangin' on my spot on the fence. Well, I don't mean it has my name on it or nothin' but it's where I usually hang on the fence. This time, there was a boy who looked to be about my age. He had the reddest hair I ever seen on a person. It was so red it was almost orange. I ran up to the fence.

"Hey!"

The boy turned to look at me. "Hey yourself."

I held out my hand like I seen Pa do and I introduced myself. "Joe Cartwright."

The boy jumped off the fence and I was glad to see that he wasn't any taller'n me. He shook my hand and told me his name was "Obadiah Thistlewaite."

Obadiah Thistlewaite? Good golly, what kinda name was that? He musta figured out what I was thinkin' cuz he scowled.

"Yeah, I heard it before. It's pretty awful. Call me Obie. We just moved ta town. We're livin' in our wagon right now."

I nodded. We been in Eagle Station for two years almost but I remembered what it was like when we first moved here. "We live in the boardin' house." I waved my hand sorta toward the place. "It's full, though. Ya stayin' or passin' through?" Lots of folks stay a few weeks, restin' up before they try to cross the mountains. Usually they're here later in summer, though. His family musta wintered in Salt Lake or somethin'.

Obie shrugged. "Think we're stayin'. Don't know fer sure, Pa ain't told me yet."

I nodded in understanding. No one tells me anything, either. "You got any brothers?"

Obie shook his head. "Nope, just a little sister and a ma, of course. How about you?"

I nodded. "My brother Erik is over there talkin' to Frenchy, er, Mr. Devereaux. My oldest brother Adam works at the post with my pa."

We both climbed onto the fence to watch the horses just as Frenchy and Erik came to the corral. Frenchy has a new wild horse that needs breakin' and Erik's been beggin' for the chance to try.

"Non, Erik, this I cannot allow." Frenchy waved his hand to make his point.

"Aw, Mr. Devereaux, I'd really like to try." Erik stood next to Frenchy, hands on his hips and his hat pushed back. I've seen him look like that with Pa and usually it gets Erik into trouble. Pa calls it an attitude.

Frenchy shook his head. "Do you know what your father would do to me if he found that I allowed this?"

I didn't know that Pa would do anything to Frenchy, but I sure knew what Pa'd do to Erik if he ever found out.

Obie and me looked at the horse that Erik wanted to ride. It was a beauty – dark brown with a white star on its forehead. If I stood next to it, its back would be higher than my head. I think me and Obie sighed at the same time and I could tell he wanted a horse as much as I did. I won't get one anytime soon, though. We're savin' for a ranch and we can barely afford to keep the four horses we got now.

I don't know how long me and Obie sat on the fence but finally Big Dan made us get down.

"You boys stay away from that mustang, ya hear?"

I watched Obie's eyes widen as he looked up at Big Dan. He's a shaggy man, like a bear almost, and he's big. I ain't seen too many men as big as him. Not even my pa's as big. I guess Obie never seen anyone quite so big, 'cuz he shook his head slowly as he backed away. "No, sir. I mean, yes, sir, we'll stay away."

Sir? He was callin' Big Dan sir? I shook my head, grabbed Obie's arm and dragged him toward the tradin' post.

"C'mon, let's see if Mr. Orowitz'll give us some candy." We ran down the street and up the steps. I slowed down before we reached the door, because Pa's forever tellin' me to watch my step when there're other folks around. I looked around the post when we went in, to see if Pa noticed how I'd come in real slow, but he wasn't there. Adam saw me, though, and grinned.

"Hi, Joe."

I dragged my new friend to see Adam. "Hey, Adam. This is Obie. Where's Pa and Mr. Orowitz?"

Adam raised an eyebrow. "Hello, Obie, glad to meet you. Pa's making a delivery to Shelby's and Mr. Orowitz is in the back room doing inventory."

Dang. Adam never gives me candy. I saw Mrs. Orowitz out of the corner of my eye and I dragged Obie to meet her, too.

"Hello, Mrs. Orowitz. This is my friend Obie. He's new in town."

Mrs. Orowitz smiled and bobbed her head. "Hello, Obie, Joseph. Perhaps you boys would like a licorice whip?" She held out a couple of thin black strings.

I grinned and said "yes, ma'am, thanks" but Obie wrinkled his nose and looked at the ground. I knew what was botherin' him but I didn't know how to say it without embarrassin' him.

Before I could say anything, though, Mrs. Orowitz said, "It is my gift, to welcome you to Eagle Station."

Obie grinned. "Yes, ma'am. Thank you." We took the licorice and headed back to the door.

I turned my head. "Adam, tell Pa that Obie and me are goin' to do some fishin'. I'll be home for chores." I saw him nod and Obie and me headed out the door.

"Your pa won't mind, your brother tellin' him like that?"

I stuck the licorice in my mouth. "Nah. Pa's told me where I can go and where I can't, and as long as I stay where I'm supposed ta, he don't care." We ran down the steps and I stopped. "Do you have to tell someone where we're goin'?"

Obie seemed to be thinkin'. "Yeah, I better let my ma know." He nodded toward the outskirts of town. I followed him as he picked his way through all the tents and wagons until he came to a small camp. A tired-lookin' woman was hangin' up wash while a baby played on a blanket at her feet. She turned as we came into her camp.

"Hello, Obie. You have a new friend?"

Obie nodded as he waved toward me. "This is Joe Cartwright. Joe, this is my ma."

I took off my hat. "Glad ta meet ya, ma'am."

Mrs. Thistlewaite smiled. "Hello, Joe." She turned to Obie. "What are you boys up to?"

"Joe and me wanted to go fishing, but I figured I'd best check with you."

"Joe and I want to go fishing…"

Obie sighed and I knew how he felt. "Yessum. Joe and I want to go fishin'."

Obie's ma turned to me. "How far are you going?"

I shook my head. "Not far, ma'am." I waved in the direction of town. "Just on the other side of town there's a stream."

She nodded. "Fish would be a nice treat. You go ahead, Obie. I'll tell your pa."

"Thanks, Ma. I'll be home for chores." We ran back to the boardin' house so I could get our poles out of the barn. I was sure Erik wouldn't mind if I borrowed his pole, as long as I returned it in one piece. He's used mine before without askin'.

We spent the afternoon fishin'. I decided Obie and me were gonna be good friends, so I showed him my secret spot under some low-hangin' branches that I haven't even shown to Erik or Adam.

Obie was lookin' around at all the fallen branches and small logs. "Hey, Joe, you ever build a raft?"

I shook my head. "You?"

"Yeah, with my pa's help once. You know, I bet we can build one with some of these branches and things. Then we could play sailors or pirates or somethin'."

Pirates! That sounded like fun. "Sure, I bet we could."

We spent the next half hour plannin' our raft and we had it about built it in our minds when I remembered what happened to Adam and Erik when they built a raft in New Orleans. "I think I better check with my pa before we start."

The sun started gettin' low and I reckoned it was time to go home for chores. Obie and me split up on the edge of town and I headed to the boardin' house. I looked real quick and saw that Erik wasn't back, so that meant I wasn't late. I ran up the stairs to see Ma.

"Hello, mon petit. Did you have a good day?"

"Sure did, Ma. I got a new friend and we went fishin'." I held out my string of trout. "You want 'em for supper?"

She admired my string but shook her head. "No, I have already started cooking. You can smoke them, non?"

I nodded. "All right, Ma. I'll go do that and then I'll start my chores." I took the box of salt from her and headed outside.

Pa taught me how to smoke the trout when he realized what a good fisherman I am. He hated to see the fish go to waste, so instead he built a small smoker out of a hollow log, showed me how to clean and salt the fish and then how to put it in the smoker. Then we can have fish even when I can't catch any.

Back when Pa was teachin' me, he told me stories about when he was a boy and the cod fishermen would come back to port. They would set up the fish flakes, which Pa said were like wooden tables, all along the beaches and the men would clean the fish and lay them on the flakes, and Pa and some other boys would watch over the fish durin' the day to make sure the gulls didn't make off with the catch. The boys would get paid in dried cod. He said his mother wouldn't let him or his brothers into the house until they got out of their clothes, on accounta they stunk like fish. I thought it sounded like fun, but when I told him that, he laughed. He said it was fun the first day, but sometimes it would take three weeks for the cod to dry, and after the first day it got boring. I asked how come he did it then. He raised his eyebrow and said that his father asked him and his brothers to do it. I guess he's like his pa, 'cuz in our house him askin' isn't really askin', it's more like tellin'.

I got the last fish into the smoker and then hurried to finish my chores. I wanted Pa to be in a good mood when I asked him about the raft, and if my chores weren't done he'd ask why and then we'd get into a big discussion and I would never get to ask about the raft.

I was about to fill the kindling basket when Erik came back. I could tell from his stompin' around that he wasn't in a good mood. I bet Frenchy didn't let him break that horse.

I followed him into the barn to get the kindling basket and I almost laughed to see him pitchin' the hay.

"What's wrong, Erik? Frenchy didn't let you ride that horse, did he?" I grinned.

He stopped pitchin' and glared at me. "Ya know, I don't think I should do chores. I'm workin' all day, like Pa and Adam, and they don't haveta do chores when they get home."

I shrugged as I grabbed the basket. "You expect me to do all the chores myself?"

He stabbed into the hay. "Well, it's not like you're doin' anything important. I think I'm gonna tell Pa that tonight."

I guess Erik musta gotten over the punishment Pa gave him after the drinking. Adam always says it’s never a good idea to tell Pa anything, well not tell like Erik means it anyway.

He looked at me real mean. "And don't think I didn't notice you took my fishin' pole. You're not suppos'd ta touch my things. Do it again and I'll tell Pa."

I turned and left the barn. Erik don't talk like that a lot, but when he does, it's better to ignore him. I learned that after I didn't ignore him once and he threw me in the horse trough.

I brought the kindling up and fetched more water for Ma, and I was settin' the table when Pa and Adam came up the stairs. Pa's hair was wet around his face, so he musta just washed in the washbasin downstairs. He looked tired. So did Adam. But still Pa looked at me and smiled.

"Glad to see you helping your mother, Joseph."

Ma hurried over to kiss him, like she does every night. "Oui, mon petit Joseph is a big help today. He has done the extra chores without being asked, and he brought home a most magnificent catch of fish. They are in the smoker, are they not, mon petit?"

I nodded. "I met a new friend, too, Pa."

Pa reached over and ruffled my hair. I pretended to duck, like I don't like him doin' it, but I do like it.

"I know. Adam told me about him. What's his name?"

"Oba…Obadiah This…Thistlewaite." I heard Adam laugh, and Ma covered her mouth to hide her smile. I nodded my head. "Yeah, it's as bad as Francis!"

Ma's smile disappeared and I could feel Pa lookin' at me.

"Sorry, Ma." I apologized quick. Francis was her father's name, except he was French and his name was Francois. Francis is what Americans call Francois. Ma nodded and I looked at Pa. He winked at me.

I told Pa all about Obie and his wagon and his ma and all about how we spent the day fishing. I was goin' to mention the raft to Pa, to ask him for permission, when Ma frowned.

"Mon petit?"

I thought for a minute, and I couldn't remember anything I done wrong. "Yes, Ma?"

"Is Erik home?"

Adam answered for me. "He was finishing his chores, Ma. He should be up in a minute."

Ma nodded. "Well, you should sit. I will put the supper on the table and I am sure he will be up in a moment." Then she started talkin' to Pa about something that was in the newspaper that Mr. Orowitz gave her.

We all sat as Ma dished the stew into a big bowl. She set the bowl on the table just as the door below slammed. I looked at Adam and he looked at Pa before he looked back at me and rolled his eyes. Pa hates slammin' doors even more than Ma does.

Sure enough, Erik stomped up the stairs and headed for his seat, and the whole time Pa was glarin' at him. Erik looked at Pa and sighed.

"Sorry." He sat down, but he didn't sound too sorry to me, and I don't think Pa believed it either. I saw Adam out of the corner of my eye and I could tell he was thinkin' the same thing I was thinkin'. If Erik didn't start acting right, it was goin' to be either a real long supper or a real short one.

Erik opened his mouth to speak, but Ma shook her head slightly and he closed it. She turned to me.

"Mon petit, you will say the blessing tonight?"

I thought a minute and nodded. "Thanks G…I mean, thank you, God, for this stew we are about to eat. I know it'll be good 'cuz Ma's a good cook. Thank you for makin' us all healthy and for bringin' me my new friend, Obie, and for helpin' us catch fish today."

I could hear Adam chokin' and I was afraid he tried to sneak something durin' the blessing and God caught him, but I looked and he was grinning. I looked at Pa, and he looked like he was smiling, and he wouldn'ta smiled if Adam had tried to sneak something durin' the blessing. I know, on accounta I did once, and Pa sent me to bed without my supper. I laid awake for a long time worried that God was goin' to punish me, but when I told Adam that he laughed and said that's why God put Pa here, to save Him the trouble. That didn't sound right, but then Adam said I maybe shouldn't ask Pa about it, so I went to sleep instead.

Ma passed bowls of stew around the table. Ma can make stew more ways than anyone I know. I wasn't foolin' when I said Ma's a good cook. She can make just about anything taste good. Well, except 'possum. We tried that once during the winter Pa was gone, and we ate it, but it was awful.

Erik shoveled some stew into his mouth and then waved his spoon toward Pa. I looked at Adam again and then glanced at Pa. He was watchin' Erik patiently, like a cat watches a mouse. Erik wasn't payin' attention to Pa, though. He was workin' himself into a state.

"Ya know, Pa, it ain't fair."

Pa glanced at Ma, and so did I. She was shakin' her head while she was lookin' at my brother, but Erik didn't wait for Pa to answer.

"I work as much as you and Adam, but I gotta do chores when I get home, and you and Adam don't. Joe's home all day doin' nothin'. He should hafta do my chores when I'm workin."

"Hey!" I started to talk but Adam kicked my leg and shook his head slightly. He was warnin' me to stay quiet and maybe no one would notice me. I glanced at Ma, and she gave me the same look that Adam did.

Pa didn't say nothin', he just ate some more stew.

Pa being silent made Erik more mad. "Pa, it ain't right and you know it!"

I saw Adam wince. Like I said before, Pa don't care for his sons tellin' him what he knows. I ate a little faster, hoping to finish before the hollerin' started.

Pa leaned back a little and rested his hand by his spoon. "Erik, I am tired and I would like to eat my supper."

That was a warning. Even I knew that, but it didn't stop Erik. He slammed his fist on the table.

"Gol dang it, Pa. You aren't listening to me."

Pa had started to pick up his spoon, but he set it down before Erik finished his sentence. Pa pushed back his chair as he stood and asked for Ma to please excuse him and Erik. He didn't even look at Erik, he turned and headed down the stairs.

Erik sat a minute not even lookin' at the stairs, and both Adam and me stared at him. If Pa had to turn around and tell Erik to follow, well, let's just say I wouldn't want to be Erik when they got to the barn. Finally my brother stood and stomped down the stairs.

Adam sighed. "Glory, Erik doesn't learn, does he?"

Ma raised her eyebrows and then pointed to my bowl. "Eat your supper, mon petit. And, mon fils " - now she was lookin' at Adam - "I recall you disturbing our meal more than one time, oui?"

I had ta hide my smile from Adam. He don't like to be reminded that he wasn't always the good son, but he usta get inta some awful trouble in New Orleans.

"Well, he picked a bad day to make Pa angry." Adam spooned the last of his stew into his mouth.

"Why is today a bad day?" Ma put the ladle down when Adam shook his head. Me, I can't imagine any day would be a good day to make Pa angry.

Adam shook his head. "Lots of people came into the post today, and some didn't take kindly to Mr. Orowitz's prices. We thought we were going to have to restrain someone from punching Mr. Orowitz, the man was that angry."

Ma shook her head. "It is not as though Mr. Orowitz charges too much."

"No, Ma. It's the supplies from Salt Lake City or California are getting more and more expensive. It's supply and demand."

"Huh?" My question was out before I could pull it back. I was hoping Adam wouldn't notice, but my luck wasn't holding. Adam turned to me and put on his teacher face.

"You see, Joe, Adam Smith first discussed the theory of supply and demand in his Wealth of Nations in 1776, and David Ricardo expanded on it in his 1817 treatise…"

All I could do was pretend to listen while Adam talked. I learned that trick a long time ago. I nod every once in a while like I understand what he's saying, and he leaves me alone. While I was pretendin' ta listen, I thought about Obie and the raft. I wanted ta ask Pa tonight if we could build the raft. Dang. If he was in a bad mood already and Erik made it worse, Pa would say no for sure. I decided I'd better wait 'til tomorrow.

I was clearing my bowl and helping Ma with the dishes when Erik and Pa came back upstairs. Ma had heated Pa's bowl of stew and she placed it in front of him. She had left Erik's bowl on the table. He stood at the top of the stairs, lookin' like he didn't know what to do.

"Erik, sit down and eat the meal your mother made." Pa didn't even look up as he spoke.

"It's cold." Erik sounded like he was sulking.

Pa don't abide sulking. "You have no one to blame but yourself, young man. Sit down and eat."

As I watched Erik almost throw himself into his seat, I figured Pa didn't tan him. He wouldn'ta sat down so hard if Pa had done that. Pa ignored him and looked at Ma. They started talkin' and I couldn't interrupt him to ask about the raft, even if I wanted to.

Saturday's always a busy day for Pa and Adam. They hafta work without Mr. and Mrs. Orowitz on accounta it's their Sunday. Well, not their Sunday, exactly. Pa says it's their Sabbath, and Sunday's our Sabbath, and I asked Pa how come the Orowitzes got a different Sabbath and he said he didn't know and ta ask Mr. Orowitz, but I never remember ta ask when I see him. But Pa and Adam, and sometimes Ma, work at the post so Mr. and Mrs. Orowitz can do things that they're supposta on Sabbath, like pray and eat and stuff.

This Saturday was no different. Because there were so many folks in town, Ma went to help Pa and Adam. Erik was workin' at the livery and Pa said that he'd be doin' my mornin' chores today. Erik would be, that is. Not Pa. Pa don't do our chores unless we're sick. He says that's why he had sons, ta do the chores. Pa also told me to stay away from the post today, on accounta he was gonna be busy. Obie told me he had to watch his sister in the mornin' so his ma and pa could do some things around town, and I sure didn't want to be stuck with a little girl, so I told Obie I'd see him in the afternoon.

I watched the wild mustang for a little while but then Erik threatened ta pound me if I stayed and the mood he was in, I thought he might do it. 'Course, then Pa'd pound him, but I'd still be pounded, so I decided ta leave. I wandered around the town a little, but there was nothin' to do. Then I saw the saloon.

I knew Pa'd be real mad if he ever found me lookin' in the saloon, so I decided I'd better go around back where he couldn't see me if he stepped out of the tradin' post. I looked over my shoulder, in case someone was watchin'. No one was, so I ran along the side and behind the buildin'. I was so busy makin' sure that no one was watchin' me that I wasn't watchin' where I was goin' and I ran smack dab inta someone. I got knocked on the ground, but I didn't get hurt none.

A hand reached down to help me up and I grabbed it. When I stood, I looked at the fella that knocked me down. I ain't never seen anyone look like him before! He was shorter than Adam, and he was dressed all in black. His skin was a different color than mine, and his eyes were shaped like them almonds Ma likes. He wore a little black hat on his head, almost like a box, and I could see his hair was real long, longer'n Big Dan's even, and he had a braid.

He looked at me, real worried.

"Boy hurt?" His words sounded funny, like Ma's and Frenchy's. Well, not exactly like theirs, but he had an accent.

I shook my head. "Nah. Who're you?"

The man smiled slightly. "I Hop Sing."

I held out my hand. "Joe Cartwright. Glad ta meet you, Hop Sing. You ain't from around here, huh?"

The man's smile got bigger, and he shook my hand. "Hop Sing is…Chinaman."

Golly! I ain't never met a Chinaman, but Adam's been readin' about 'em in the newspaper.

"Ya mean, from China?" That was a dumb question. Chinamen gotta come from China, don't they? Hop Sing smiled and nodded. "Whatcha doin' here?" I asked. He looked confused, so I pointed to the back door of the saloon and shrugged. He nodded.

"I work. I cook. I clean." It was then I noticed the basket of laundry that I had knocked out of his hand when I ran inta him. The laundry fell right inta the mud.

I helped pick up the clothes and then I spent a while helpin' him wash the clothes again and hang 'em on the line. Ma'd be surprised to see me helpin' with laundry, but I reckoned it was a way ta get ta talk to Hop Sing. Otherwise he'd probably chase me away like everyone else does.

When we got done with the laundry, I helped Hop Sing bring water and wood inta the saloon's kitchen. I felt kinda funny bein' there, and I wasn't sure what Pa would say, but I decided I was bein' friendly, and Pa always says that's important.

I was sittin' at the table talkin' to Hop Sing when Shelby walked inta the kitchen. She looked real surprised to see me sittin' there and I jumped up. Pa always says a gentleman stands up when a lady comes inta the room. I'm not sure if Pa considers Shelby a lady or not, but I figure I'd stand up anyway.

"Hey, Miz Sterritt!" I even took off my hat.

She narrowed her eyes and tilted her head. "What're you doin' in here, Joe Cartwright?"

I noticed Hop Sing didn't look happy to see Shelby. He bent lower over the table and started choppin' the vegetables real hard. She glared at him. She didn't give me a chance to answer her.

"You leave my Chinaman alone, young'un. He's got work to do. Now you scat. I don’t want any more trouble with your Ma and Pa."

I tried to explain that Pa wouldn't mind, even though I wasn't sure I was right, but she pushed me out the door. I reckoned it was time for lunch, anyway.

I ran home and up the stairs. No one was there, but Ma had left me somethin' to eat. She probably came home when the post wasn't too busy and made some food for Pa and Adam and her. Judgin' by the dirty dish left in the bucket, Erik'd already been home for lunch. I ate fast as I could and headed out to see if Obie was around. He was waitin' for me outside the boardin' house door.

"Hey, Joe. Whatcha want to do today? Fishin'?"

I shook my head. I wanted to show him some of the other things in town. "You a good jumper?"

Obie shrugged. "Sure, I'm good."

I grinned. "C'mon, then." I ran off, not even botherin' to look to see if he was followin'. We ran to the other end of town, where the emigrants come in. There's a ditch not too far off the trail, and sometimes we like to jump over it. Pa says we shouldn't, but he didn't exactly forbid us to do it. 'Sides, it's only filled with water in the spring, when the snow starts to melt on the mountains. By now most of the water's gone and there's only enough to come halfway up to my knees if I stood in it, which I wouldn't do 'cuz then Pa would want to know what I was doin' that I got all wet. It's pretty wide, probably as wide across as Erik is tall. Erik usta jump it with me, but he says he's too old now.

We jumped for a while 'til we got tired and then Obie pulled somethin' out of his pocket.

"Hey, what's that?"

He held it out so I could see it, but it looked like a thick piece of carved wood that wasn't much bigger than the palm of his hand. He grinned as he tugged at the side of the wood and pulled out a small knife that was hooked on the wood. Then he tugged again and another knife came out. "Gol-ly!" was all I could say. I never seen anything like it.

"I got it for Christmas last year." Obie's smile was like Adam's can be – Ma calls it Adam's smug face. I wanted that knife. I wanted that knife more'n anything I ever wanted. I started thinkin'.

"I'll trade ya my fishin' pole for it." I didn't think he'd take the trade, but I couldn't start with my best stuff.

Obie rolled his eyes. "Nah."

I thought again. "I got a genuine rattlesnake rattle."

"Who doesn't?" Obie yawned.

I thought for a while. Problem was, I had to leave most of my good stuff when we moved from New Orleans. Eight years of tradin' and Pa said we couldn't take it with us. I frowned as I thought about what was in my box at home.

"I got a real pirate's hat. Maybe it was even Jean LaFitte's." That was an exaggeration. I was almost positive it wasn't Jean LaFitte's, but I been watchin' Frenchy and Big Dan trade, and I noticed they always exaggerated. Mr. Orowitz don't, but he sells stuff, he don't trade much, even if his place is called a tradin' post.

"Who's LaFitte?" Obie was lookin' bored.

"Who's LaFitte? Why, only the smartest, strongest, meanest pirate that ever sailed the ocean!" I leaned back. "He had a blacksmith shop in New Orleans, that's where we're from, and I got the hat from a shop near there." I was tryin' real hard to sound like I didn't care if he agreed ta the trade.

Obie looked interested. He leaned forward. "Ya think it really is LaFitte's hat?"

I frowned. "Ya know, maybe I'd better not trade the hat for just a knife." It was workin'. Obie leaned closer, real excited. Then he leaned back, all disgusted lookin'.

"Nah. My pa'd wear me out if I traded this and he'd make me give you back the hat."

I nodded. Pas don't understand tradin'. But how was I gonna get a knife like that? My birthday was already passed and I didn't want to wait until Christmas. I knew Pa didn't have the money to buy things like that everyday.

I watched him whittle for a while. He's real good, but I knew if I had a knife like that, I'd be as good. We talked about what it was like on the trail, and he told me about livin' in Salt Lake for the winter. When I saw that the sun was startin' to head down, I knew it was time to go home to do my afternoon chores. We split up at the tradin' post and I ran for home.

I almost ran inta Pa, I was in such a hurry. He grabbed me as I was about ta fall over, and he swung me over his shoulder like he throws them big sacks at the post. I could tell he wasn't mad, though, 'cuz I could feel him laughin' at me.

"Pa, put me down!" I tried hollerin', but my face was against his back, so he couldn’t hear me. Then I tried ta pick up my head, but he let me slide and I thought for a minute I was gonna fall. I always think I’m gonna fall, and he never lets go. I was floppin' around like a sack 'cuz he was walkin' real fast like he always does. Finally I hollered, "Put me down or I'm gonna get sick on your back and you'll have to do my chores!"

Pa pulled me back over his shoulder then, and helped me back to the ground. He looked at me worried a minute, but I stuck out my tongue and ran, and I could hear him laughin' all the way home. I beat him to the barn behind the boardin' house by only a second, and I was real winded. He's a lot older'n me, so I thought he'd be a lot more winded, but he grinned.

"You have a good day, Pa?" I was glad ta see him in a good mood.

"I did. Adam's closing the post; your mother is upstairs cooking. I'm not sure if Erik's back from the livery yet, but he should be home soon. What did you do today?"

I started to tell all about Obie's pocketknife but the words got all jumbled up, and even I knew I wasn't makin' sense. Pa looked at me, puzzled, and sat on the back step.

"I think you'd better tell me slowly, son." He pulled me onto his knee.

So I told him all about Obie's knife, about how the handle was a carved deer bone, and how it had three blades for carving, and how the blades folded into the handle. I didn't say as I wanted one, 'cuz I knew Pa didn't have the money ta buy it.

When I got done talkin', Pa looked at me like he was thinkin'. "That sounds like quite the knife, Joseph." He ruffled my hair again, and then he set me on my feet as he stood. "I think your mother's waiting for the kindling and water."

"Sure, Pa." He headed up the steps but as I picked up the bucket, he stopped and looked at me.

"Joseph?"

"Yes, Pa?"

"Don’t stick your tongue out at me, please. It's disrespectful."

"Ah, yes, sir. I mean, no sir." Golly, I was so nervous that Pa thought I was bein' disrespectful that I could hardly say nothin'. "I mean, I won't do it again, Pa."

Pa nodded and smiled ta show he wasn't real angry and then he went inside.

Erik was in a better mood, or else he'd learned not ta cross Pa at the supper table. Anyway, he ate his food and didn't complain ta Pa about anything.

After everyone was served, Ma looked at me. "And how was your day, mon petit Joseph?"

I swallowed what I was eatin' and grinned. "I had a great day. Obie and me played by…" I stopped myself. If Pa heard where I'd been playin' my great day wouldn't end so great. I needed to change the topic, quick. "I met a Chinaman!"

Adam laughed and Erik hooted, but Pa frowned. "Joseph, when people say 'Chinaman' as you did, it's derogatory." I musta looked confused 'cuz he explained. "That means saying 'Chinaman' like that is insulting."

I shifted uncomfortably. Pa don't take kindly ta me insultin' adults. "But Pa, that's what Hop Sing called himself. What am I 'posed ta call him?"

Pa rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "You could say that you met a Chinese man, or a man from China, or you could call him by his name. Does Hop Sing speak much English?"

I shrugged. "Some."

Pa leaned forward, restin' his arms on the table. "Where did you meet this Chinese man, Joseph?"

Dang. There was no way I could answer that question without admittin' that I'd been behind Miss Sterritt's saloon. I sure didn't want to tell him a lie. Best to skirt around it and hope Pa don't notice.

I smiled. "I accidentally bumped inta him while he was doin' laundry. I knocked all his clothes inta the dirt, so I helped him wash everything again."

Pa leaned back in his chair. "You know, Marie, I heard that there was a young Chinese man working in town."

I saw Adam and Erik smirkin'. I glanced at Ma and she tilted her head to look at me. "Oui? And where does he work?"

I gave up. "I didn't go in the saloon, Pa, I went around back. That's where I saw him." Pa was still watchin' me, and I realized I didn't tell him the whole truth. "Well, I kinda went inta the back room, where he works, so I could talk to him, Pa, but that's not really the saloon."

Pa leaned forward and picked up his fork. He waved it toward me, and I knew that meant ta finish eatin' my supper. "Joseph, we've talked about the saloon before, haven't we?"

I nodded. "Yes, sir. I wanted to see around the back is all. Then I met Hop Sing, and I never seen anyone like him, so I wanted ta be neigh-bly, like you're always sayin' we should be."

Pa seemed ta think for a minute. "Joseph, when I have a chance, I will go and meet Hop Sing. Then I will tell you if you can be…neighborly." Pa waved his fork at me again, so I decided I'd best finish my supper.

Ma leaned forward slightly. "Mes fils, I have good news. The traveling minister is in town today and tomorrow, so tomorrow we may all attend church."

I sighed but didn't say nothing. Services means two things – baths on Saturday night and havin' to sit still durin' a borin' sermon on Sunday mornin'. But I knew not to complain.

Sure enough, we had to take baths after supper. Ma don't come behind the screen anymore to make sure I've scrubbed right, but she sends Pa back, and it feels like I've got no skin left when he's done scrubbing my back.

After my bath, Pa left for a little while. I was pullin' my covers up when he came home. He hurried straight to my bed and sat on the edge.

"Joseph, I have met your new friend Hop Sing, and you have my permission to visit with him in the back room, provided you do not interfere with his work." He pointed his finger at me. "We don't need to discuss what will happen if I find that you are visiting the saloon itself, do we?"

I shook my head so hard I could feel my hair floppin'. "No sir!"

He stood and tucked me in. "I think Hop Sing could use a friend, Joseph." He bent down to kiss my forehead. "Good night, son."

"G'night, Pa." I rolled over and closed my eyes. I heard Pa and Ma talking about Hop Sing. Pa didn't sound too happy about somethin' but all I could hear him say was ''dentured servtude' and I didn't know what that meant. I tried to remember the words so I could ask Adam in the morning. I was startin' to drift off to sleep when I 'membered that I hadn't asked Pa about buildin' the raft.

The next mornin', Adam about strangled me when he knotted my tie. I started to push his hands away, but then he leaned forward and said he'd get Pa to tie it for me. I hate it when Pa ties that stupid tie, on accounta it usually ends with him swattin' my behind, and then that would sting all mornin' and I wouldn't be able ta sit right durin' the service. Sittin' right is real important when we're listenin' to the minister. He preaches in a big tent on the edge of town, and the seats are really split log benches. They're uncomfortable even if your tail isn't hurting. So I let Adam tie the tie before Pa came ta see what the hold up was.

Whenever we go to church, I always have to sit between Ma and Pa. If I move my head, or swing my legs too much, there'll be consequences when we get home. That only happened once to me, but Adam told me one time that he got inta so much trouble that Pa took him outside in the middle of the service and lit inta him then and there, and then Adam had to go sit through the rest of the service. That was before Pa married Ma.

I think Erik musta still been on Pa's bad side, 'cuz as we were walkin' home, Pa asked Erik questions about what the minister said. He does that every time, ta see if we're payin' attention. Erik was able to answer him, barely, and Pa kinda frowned, but he didn't say nothin'.

After lunch, Pa told us that he and Ma were goin' for a ride by the lake, alone. They do that once in a while. I asked Adam once why they didn't take us, and he just told me ta mind my own business. I guess they wanna be away from us just like sometimes we like ta be away from them.

Ma reminded us to play quiet games and ta not run around and make a lotta noise. Pa reminded me and Erik ta listen ta Adam, and he reminded Adam ta not be too bossy. Then they left.

Adam wanted to read his new book, so he sat at the table. Erik and I played checkers for a while, but Erik got bored and decided ta go inta the barn for a while. We aren't s'posed ta go far from the house on Sundays on accounta the saloon gets real busy with all the men that come inta town ta drink. I got bored without Erik, so I decided ta talk ta Adam.

"Hey, Adam?" My brother looked up from his book. "Hey, Adam, what's 'denture servtude?"

Adam looked confused a minute but then he knew what I meant. "Indentured servitude, you mean?" His eyes narrowed. "You were listening to Ma and Pa last night, weren't you?"

I shrugged. Adam shook his head.

"If you're talking about your friend Hop Sing, he told Pa that someone paid for his trip from China to San Francisco. In return for the passage, Hop Sing agreed to work for that person for a year or so, and that was called a contract. But that person sold Hop Sing's contract to Shel, er Miss Sterritt, and now Hop Sing works for her."

Oh. That didn't seem too bad. "Thanks, Adam."

"Joe, you shouldn't be listening to Ma and Pa at night."

"Well, you were, too!" I rolled my eyes. "'Sides, how else is a fella s'posed to learn anything?"

"Joe, I was sitting next to Ma last night, and Pa was talking to us both." But he grinned anyway. He'd listened as much as I did when he was my age. "Now go play. I want to read."

I played for a while with my tops and when Erik came back in, the three of us played with the tabletop ninepins that Erik carved for my Christmas present last year. Pa and Ma weren't back yet, but Adam said ta not worry, Ma left some stew cookin', in case. They weren't home when I went to bed neither, and I was kinda mad 'cuz I didn't have a chance ta ask about the raft again.

Next mornin' Pa said that he had to freight some supplies for Mr. Orowitz's tradin' post, and that Erik would be goin' with him. They were leavin' right after breakfast. No one else seemed surprised 'cept me. No one tells me anything. Erik didn't look too happy, though. I guess he wasn't lookin' forward to havin' all Pa's attention for the coupla weeks they'll be gone.

Pa and Erik said their goodbyes, and Ma made such a fuss about packin' their food and makin' sure that Erik had enough clean socks and stuff that I didn't remember ta ask Pa about buildin' the raft.

I was thinkin' about this while I was sittin' on the back step. Ma was workin' at the post helpin' 'cuz Pa was gone, so I didn't have lessons. I did my chores, and I helped Adam do Erik's chores before Adam went to work that morning. I was tryin' to decide if I should go see Hop Sing, but before I could stand up, Obie came runnin' around the corner.

"Hey, Joe!" His face looked all red, like he'd been runnin'.

"Hey, Obie."

He brushed the hair from his eyes as he stood in front of me. "Let's go build the raft."

I thought a moment. I knew Ma wouldn't let me ride the raft, and I fer sure wasn't gonna ask Adam for permission. Finally I realized we could build the raft without permission. Maybe Pa'd be home by the time we finished it. I nodded. "Sure thing."

"Ya got some rope?" Obie's question surprised me, but I shrugged and pointed to the barn. Obie followed me in, and we looked at the tools and things hangin' on the wall. Pa's forever naggin' us to keep the barn tidy, so findin' the rope was easy. I picked a coil off the wall. "This enough?"

Obie sized it up a minute, and nodded. I was glad – I wasn't sure how much I could take before Adam noticed some was missin'. I was sure Pa wouldn't mind; I mean, he's never said I couldn't take the rope, but I didn't want Adam askin' a lot of questions before the raft was done.

Obie looked around some more. "Ya got an ax?"

I was startin' ta wonder why he didn't bring nothin' with him, but I picked up the ax and showed it ta him. I was getting' a little nervous on accounta I'm not supposed ta use the ax, but I wasn't gonna tell Obie that!

We headed ta the place where we were fishin' before. He looked around and nodded, like he was happy.

"All right, Joe, first thing we need to do is get the straight logs that are lyin' around. Then we'll see how many trees we need to chop."

I put the rope and the ax down and we started draggin' the logs. There weren't as many as we thought. A lot of the logs were real crooked, and a bunch fell apart when we picked 'em up on accounta they were rotted through. We sure didn't wanna use rotten logs. By the time the sun was overhead and I reckoned it was lunchtime, we had only found three logs worth usin'.

We both had ta go home by then, so I grabbed the rope and the ax. Obie told me ta hide 'em in the leaves, but if Adam came home and we were missin' an ax, I'd be in trouble fer sure.

We spent the next coupla days buildin' the raft. We could only work in the morning on accounta Obie hadta watch his sister in the afternoon. The hardest part of buildin' was pickin' the right trees and cuttin' them down. Pa and Adam and Erik make it look easy, but it's hard swingin' that ax. The first day we cut the trees down, my arms was so sore that I had trouble movin' them at night. Ma thought I was comin' down with somethin' and made me swallow some awful stuff.

I mostly spent the afternoons with Hop Sing. Ma didn't want me hangin' around the store, cuz they were so busy. There were lots of folk who musta wintered in Salt Lake or nearby, and they all needed stuff from the store. I didn't mind, though. I liked Hop Sing.

I was teachin' Hop Sing English. When I told Ma and Adam that, Adam made a rude noise and Ma scolded him. Even better, Hop Sing was teachin' me some Chinese. I couldn't say none of them words, but I was gettin' sos I could understand some a what Hop Sing said.

We finished the raft at the end of the third mornin'. Unfortunately we were too late ta sail it that day, so we hid it under the leaves and branches and ran back ta town. Hop Sing had invited me ta eat lunch with him, so I didn't wanna be late. Just before we split up, Obie told me he hadta watch his sister in the mornin' so we'd hafta wait until afternoon to sail the raft.

The back door of the saloon was open, so I walked in. Hop Sing gave me a big smile, like he does every time he sees me. Hop Sing smiles a lot, 'cept when Miz Sterrrit's around. I don't think he likes her much. She sure ain't too nice ta him.

Hop Sing bowed a little. "Good aft..ah..noon, Joe."

I bowed back. Hop Sing says that’s what folk do in China to show respect. "Hey, Hop Sing."

Hop Sing waved his hand ta the table. "Today I have new…res…res…"

"Recipe?"

Hop Sing bobbed his head. "Yes, recipe." He grinned. "From motha."

I scrunched my nose. I never had Chinese food. "Yer mother?"

Hop Sing shook his head so fast that his braid flipped over his shoulder. "No, your motha. Is chicken pie."

Chicken pie! That was just about my favorite thing ta eat. Ma makes it real good. I scrambled onta the stool and shook out my napkin.

"Hands clean?" Hop Sing was frownin' at me.

"Clean enough." He gestured toward my hands and I held them out. When he shook his head, I jumped off the stool and headed ta the basin. "You're as bad as Ma, Hop Sing."

"Motha very kind to Hop Sing." He approved my hands and I climbed back onto the stool. He set the pie in front of me, and it smelled real good.

I didn't know Ma had been ta see Hop Sing, but I wasn't surprised. Ma was nice ta everyone, especially if she thought someone needed a friend. I picked up my fork and dug inta the pie.

"Golly, Hop Sing! This is even better'n Ma's!" The crust part was real flaky and soft. I shoveled more inta my mouth. It was a good thing Erik wasn't there, he'da eaten the whole thing in one bite.

Hop Sing looked at me with a little smile on his face. "You take some to motha and ask her if it is good?"

"Sure thing, Hop Sing." I finished my lunch and then I helped Hop Sing clean up. I hate doin' the dishes, but he had told me if I don't help clean, he's not gonna cook anymore.

I spent the next coupla hours talkin' to him while he was gettin' ready for the night crowd at the saloon. Since Miz Sterritt don't do the cookin' anymore, Hop Sing told me that lotsa people get their suppers at the saloon. Hop Sing gets real busy, and sometimes I help him by choppin' the vegetables. And sometimes he makes me cookies.

When I brought Ma the chicken pie, she said it was the best she'd ever had, even when it was cold. She came with me the next mornin' to tell Hop Sing that, and to bring him some stew that she made. He about busted with pride when she told him that his chicken pie was better'n hers.

I spent the mornin' with Hop Sing and then me and Obie headed ta the raft. It was right where we hid it. I was worried maybe somebody'd find it and take it, but I was worried for nothin'.

We dragged it ta the water and pushed it in. Obie had chopped two saplings and we were plannin' ta use them as poles. We looked at each other a minute.

"Obie, you get on first."

He looked at me, surprised. "Ya sure, Joe?"

I nodded. "Yeah. It was your idea ta build it."

"Gosh, Joe. Thanks!" Obie grinned and stood on the raft. It didn't rock too much. "C'mon, Joe, let's go!"

I looked at the raft for a minute. Somethin' was tellin' me that Pa wasn't gonna be happy. I shook my head. Pa'd never know. I could ask him ta look at it when he got home. He didn't hafta know I'd been on it already. I stood next ta Obie.

"One…two…three!" We shoved our poles down and pushed the raft inta the stream.

Golly we had fun that afternoon. We played pirates and Mike Fink for a long time. When we got bored, we pretended we were the first white men ta explore the mighty river. We had so much fun that we didn't pay attention ta the sun until it was almost settin'.

We quick shoved ourselves back ta shore and headed back ta town. Adam was finishin' up the barn chores when I ran in.

"You're late. Where have you been?"

I shrugged. I wasn't gonna tell him what I was doin'.

"Suit yourself. Ma's looking for you and she's not happy."

"How come you're doin' my chores?" I sure hoped he didn't think I owed him nothin'.

"Like I said, Ma's not happy." He grinned. "Don't worry, you can make it up to me someday."

Ma sure wasn't happy. She scolded and scolded. Golly, you'd think I disappeared for days.

"Ma, I said I was sorry! I was only a little late. I don't see what the problem is!" I almost shouted at her, and I stamped my foot.

Ma stood in front of me. "You would not speak to me so if your father were home! This disrespect I will not permit! Joseph, you will spend tomorrow sitting in a chair at the trading post. You will not move unless I say you may."

I opened my mouth to argue, but she looked real angry and I was afraid I'd get a spankin'. So insteada ridin' our raft, I had ta sit at the post. No one spoke ta me, and I wasn't allowed to get out of the chair except ta use the outhouse, do my chores and ta go home. The next day was Sunday and even though the minister wasn't in town, I wasn't able ta go to the raft that day either.

Finally Monday afternoon came and Obie was waitin' for me outside the boardin' house after lunch. Ma told me ta be sure ta be home for chores or I would spend another day sittin' in that chair. We raced ta the raft. I beat him by a yard.

We played for a while and then we sat with our backs to each other and our feet draggin' in the cold stream. I was about ta tell Obie that next time we oughta bring our fishin' poles when I heard him swear.

"Damnation."

I turned, surprised to hear him use a trouble word. He was starin' at the riverbank and I could see over his shoulder. He was lookin' at a man sittin' on a tall black horse. The man was watchin' us float by.

"Obie, you know that fella?" I could see Obie nod and I felt sick. This was gonna be bad, I knew it.

"It's my Pa. He didn't know about the raft." His shoulders slumped. Funny thing, I never seen his pa before now. Golly, Obie was in trouble. Then I thoughta somethin'.

"Uh, Obie, do ya think your Pa'll…"

Obie turned to me. "Yup, I reckon he's fixin' ta go tell your ma."

The stream carried us away from Obie's pa. He watched as we stood and picked up our poles to push ourselves to shore. He pulled on the reins and turned his horse back ta town.

There's nothin' like havin' ta go home when ya know you're in trouble. I looked at the sun. Ma and Adam should be home from the post by now and I was late for chores. We were at least an hour from home, and I figured Obie's Pa would have come and gone long before I got home. I tried ta think happy thoughts, like Ma's always sayin' ta do when things look bad, but the only happy thought I could come up with was that Pa wasn't the one waitin' for me at home. But knowin' Ma's temper, that wasn't much of a happy thought.

Obie and I split up at the edge of town. Obie looked like he was goin' ta his own funeral and I expect I looked pretty much the same. We both knew we wouldn't be seein' each other for a while. I trudged home, part of me thinkin' I oughta hurry, the other part thinkin' I oughta take my time.

Adam was choppin' wood when I walked inta the yard. He shook his head. I sure didn't like the look on his face. I couldn't tell was it disgust or pity.

He stopped workin' and leaned on the ax handle. "Ma's in an awful state."

I shrugged like I didn't care. "How bad can it be?"

Adam smirked. "Let's see…Obie's father left about three quarters of an hour ago, and I don't think she's said a word in English since." Adam shook his head. "What were you thinking, Joe? You could have been killed on that raft!"

I didn't say nothin'. Adam was right, and now I hadta face Ma. When Ma was angry, her accent got real hard to understand. If she was really angry, she spoke a kinda half-English, half-French. To hear Adam say she was only speakin' French…well, I wanted ta run back to the raft and float ta the sea.

"Jo-SEF!"

Too late. I looked up ta see Ma standin' at the open window.

"Maintenant!" She lowered the window and I looked at my older brother. He shook his head sadly.

I walked up the stairs as slowly as I dared. She grabbed me as soon as I reached the landing.

I didn't understand mosta what she said, 'cept somethin' about trouble and Pa bein' gone. But I didn't need ta understand her words to know what she meant. By the time she was done, I was starin' at my feet.

I looked up when she grabbed my chin. "I'm really sorry, Ma." I was hopin' the 'pology would work. It does mosta the time, but I knew it wouldn't this time when she pointed to my bed.

"Allez! Maintenant!"

Allez and maintenant were two French words I learned early on. Go and now, two orders we Cartwright boys never disobey.

"Sit!" I sat on the bed. She looked like she wanted to say more, but she just waved her arms in the air. "You will stay here until I am not so angry."

Ma called me for supper a little while later. I didn’t say nothin' and neither did Adam or Ma. When we finished eatin', Adam stood up.

"I'll go finish the chores, Ma." I don't know if he wanted ta finish the chores, or if he wanted ta not be around when I got punished, but I was glad he left.

Ma made me do the dishes while she watched. When I was done, she gestured for me to stand in fronta her. She looked down at me and shook her head.

"Mon petit Joseph. I am most disappointed in this behavior. You must know this was a dangerous thing you do with your friend."

I wanted ta say that it wasn’t dangerous, that we'd done a good job buildin' the raft, but I didn't dare argue. "Yessum."

"You will please to look at me." I raised my head so I could look her in the eye, but quickly glanced away.

"Joseph, you could have been killed on this raft. How could I face your father with this news? How could I have lived knowing that this happened?" Her voice sounded all worried and sad.

"Tomorrow you and Adam will go and destroy this raft. Then you will stay at the trading post while I am working. I am sad to know that I cannot trust you to behave. You must be in my sight at all times until your father returns."

"Yes, Ma." I couldn't believe she was gonna make me wreck the raft. It wasn't only mine, it was Obie's, too. But before I could say anything else, she pointed to her room. When we got there, she made me bend over her bed and she spanked me with her brush. When she was done, she hugged me 'til I stopped cryin' and then she tucked me inta my own bed.

I tried ta not sniffle when I was in bed, but my backside hurt, I had ta destroy the raft, and even worse, Pa didn't know yet. Mosta the time, Ma doesn't tell Pa if I get inta trouble when he's not around; she punishes me herself. But this was different. She was real angry about the raft, and I knew she was gonna tell him.

I rolled onto my stomach and tried ta not think of Pa. He was gonna be mad, that's fer sure.

Next mornin' after breakfast me and Adam took the ax and headed to the stream. He didn't say nothin' until we got to the raft. He took one look at it and shook his head.

"You did a good job building the raft, Joe. I think Pa would have let you keep it." He looked at me. "I'm sorry I've got to do this."

I sighed as he lifted the ax and started chopping at the wood. Ma told him to make sure we couldn't use the logs for makin' another raft. I watched my brother swing that ax. He could sure go through them logs faster'n me and Obie, and he had the raft all busted up in less time than it took for me and Obie ta cut down one tree.

He just finished cuttin' the last log when Obie and his pa came ta the clearin'. Obie didn't look happy ta be there, and he near ta cried when he saw the busted raft. His pa had an ax in his hand, and he nodded to Adam as my brother leaned on the ax handle.

"Mr. Thistlewaite, Obie."

"Good morning, Adam. I see your mother and I had the same goal this morning." Mr. Thistlewaite held up his ax.

"Yes, sir. Ma wanted to make sure the boys didn't sneak off and rebuild it."

Mr. Thistlewaite shook his head. "Obadiah won't be going off anytime soon, Adam." He turned to me. "You must be Joe."

"Yes, sir."

He nodded. "Obie will be staying at the wagon for quite some time, young man, so don't expect to see him."

"Joe won't be out of our mother's sight for some time as well." I felt myself gettin' all hot. Adam didn't need ta sound like Pa and tell anyone about my punishment. But Obie looked a little happy that I wasn't gonna be runnin' around havin' fun while he was watchin' his little sister. I guess a fella likes ta know he's not the only one in trouble.

Adam and I headed to the tradin' post. Finally I decided ta ask him somethin'.

"Hey, Adam?"

He looked down at me. "Yes, Joe?"

I stopped walkin'. "Adam, did ya ever get inta trouble when Pa was gone?"

He smiled. "Once or twice, I suppose. Why?"

"Did…did Ma ever tell Pa?" I wasn't sure I wanted ta know the answer.

"Yes. Not every time, though. It depended on how long he was gone, and how I behaved after she punished me. If I behaved properly long enough, she decided that she had punished me enough. "

I chewed my bottom lip a little. "Uh, Adam? What'd Pa do when she told him?"

Adam stopped smiling. "Let's just say, little brother, that you'd better hope she doesn't tell him."

My backside prickled. "Oh."

We walked the rest of the way to the tradin' post in silence. I was thinkin' on what Adam said, and I was tryin' ta decide how I could get back in Ma's good graces so she wouldn't tell Pa.

Ma was in the back room with Miz Orowitz when we got there. I wanted ta tell her we were done with the raft, but I stopped when I heard Ma talkin'.

"Ruth, I was so worried yesterday when Obie's father came to me. Joseph could have been killed on that raft." Ma's voice sounded kinda raggy, like she was cryin' or still angry or somethin'. I stepped behind the shelves so they wouldn't see me.

"Will you tell Ben when he returns?" I leaned close ta hear Ma's answer.

"I do not know. I punished Joseph, and Benjamin has had so much on his mind with Erik behaving poorly. I do not wish to burden him." I turned away and walked back ta the front of the store. Mr. Orowitz smiled at me, but I didn't feel much like smilin' back.

I spent the next buncha days doin' my best to behave. Ma made me work in the store, and she wouldn’t let Mr. Orowitz give me any candy while I was there. She let me visit Hop Sing in the afternoons, but only if she walked me to his door and he walked me back to the tradin' post. I was doin' my best ta make up for gettin' inta trouble.

Pa and Erik finally came home one mornin' while I was doin' chores. I was puttin' the kindlin' in the basket when I saw them walkin' inta the alley. I was so excited about seein' Pa that I forgot all about my troubles.

"Pa! Pa!" I ran to him and hugged him tight around his middle. He hugged me back and then ruffled my hair.

"I'm glad to see you, too, Joseph." Pa was grinnin' and even Erik looked happy. They musta had a good trip. Pa looked over the yard, ta see if everything was okay and I was glad ta see him nod. "Everything looks good here, son." He glanced up at the window. "Finish up your chores. I'm going to surprise your mother."

Pa and Erik headed inta the house while I went back ta get the kindlin' basket that I dropped. It wasn't until I reached the door that I remembered the trouble I got inta while Pa was gone. Golly, it's a good thing he didn't ask me if I was good when he was gone. I glanced up the stairs. I wonder if Ma was tellin' him right now.

I expect she didn't, 'cuz he didn't say nothin' when I put the basket by the fireplace. Ma didn't say nothin' either, 'cept ta remind me ta set the table. Pa was busy tellin' Adam that they had two wagons fulla things by the tradin' post, and that Adam'd hafta help unload 'em.

Pa and Erik were so busy tellin' us what they saw that no one noticed I wasn't talkin' during breakfast. When everyone was done eatin', Pa smiled at me. "I've got to head over to the trading post, but before I go Joseph, this is for you." Pa slipped his hand inta his pocket and pulled out a small package.

I took it from his hand, looked at Ma and ripped the paper off.

"Golly, Pa!" I was holdin' a small foldin' knife. It was better lookin' than Obie's. It had a carvin' on the handle that looked like the ships Pa's always

talkin' about. I started to pull out the blades.

"You be careful with it, Joseph. You may keep it only as long as you use it safely."

"Yes, Pa. Thank you!" I stared at the knife. I reckoned my eyes were as big as saucers.

"It's scrimshaw. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on a peddler's cart. I don't know if it's whale or walrus bone, but I remember seeing men do that kind of work while I was sailing. It's a real art." Pa grinned. I looked up at him, and then I saw Adam shaking his head. I knew what he was thinkin' and I stopped smilin' a little.

I didn't know what ta do. I wanted that knife, and I sure didn't want a spankin' from Pa, and I knew that was gonna happen if he found out what I done. But I also knew that I'd think about what I done every time I used the knife.

Finally, I saw Pa start to stand. That new knife was gettin' heavier in my hand and I knew it was now or never. I wiped my hands on my pants on accounta they were sweating.

"Pa?"

Pa smiled at me. That smile was gonna go away real quick. "Yes, Joseph?"

I licked my lips and glanced at Ma. She didn't have any look on her face, and I didn't know if she knew what I was gonna say. "Pa, I gotta…can you stay a few minutes? I need ta talk to you."

Pa glanced at Ma and then looked to Adam. Adam looked at me like he knew what was gonna happen and he was sorry.

"Pa, Erik and I will go ahead to the trading post and start unloading those wagons. I'll let Mr. Orowitz know you'll be along presently."

"Thank you, Adam." Pa waited until my brothers were gone before he sat down again and looked at me with that look he gets when he's expecting something. I thought about what Adam always said about seeming respectful, and I decided I'd better stand. Then I walked over 'til I was standing in front of Pa. Even when he's sitting down, he's taller than me. Of course, the problem with him sitting down was his knee was all ready in case he wanted to put me over it. I had ta choose my words real careful. I held the knife out to Pa.

"I don't deserve it."

Pa's right eyebrow went up, and then he frowned a little, but he didn't say anything. He did look over at Ma and so did I. She didn't say anything, either. She was waitin' for me to talk.

I took a deep breath and I started. As soon as the first word came out, they all jumbled out of my mouth, and I told him everything, how we built the raft, how I didn't do my chores 'cuz of the raft, how I back-talked Ma. I even told him about Ma spankin' me. His eyes narrowed at that. He don't like it when Ma has to punish us. He spanked me once just because Ma used her hairbrush to paddle my behind. I didn't think it was fair to get punished by him 'cuz Ma punished me. I mean, I didn't make Ma paddle me, she chose to, but when I said that to Pa, he got real angry and then I got a worse spanking, so I don't say it no more.

When I stopped talking, I watched Pa's face. Adam's always tellin' me to watch Pa so I can learn to read his face. Well, this was a face I learned to read a long time ago. His eyes were real dark, and his eyebrows were all scrunched together, and he fer sure wasn't smiling.

Pa nodded slowly, and he took the knife from my hand as he stood. I watched him twirl that knife around in his fingers. This wasn't good.

"Pa, are you…" I stopped, not sure I wanted to know the answer to my question. I swallowed, took a deep breath and started again. "Pa, are you gonna spank me?"

He stopped twirling the knife then, and looked down at me. After what seemed like forever he looked over my shoulder to where Ma was sitting. He nodded slightly, and I could hear the rustle of her skirts as she stood. Pa looked back at me as he slipped my knife into his pocket.

"Joseph, your mother and I will discuss this privately, and then I will decide if I should give you the tanning that you and I both know you deserve."

"Yes, sir." I could barely whisper, and I sat down as my parents headed for their bedroom. A tanning…I asked Adam once if Pa's tannings are as bad as his spankings, and he rolled his eyes. Erik told me later Pa's belt hurts a whole lot worse'n his hand.

Part of me wanted to go listen at my parents' door, but I knew if Pa caught me eavesdropping, I'd get that tanning fer sure. There was nothin' to do but sit and wait. I kept wipin' my hands on my pants. I don't reckon I ever was so nervous.

The door finally opened, and I hopped off my chair. Ma stepped out first and Pa was right behind her. They both walked until they stood in front of me. I stood with my hands behind my back, as respectful as I knew how. Maybe it wasn't too late to change Pa's mind about the tanning.

"Jo-seph." Pa said my name real slow, never a good thing. I was gonna get the tanning. I looked at my feet, waitin' for my doom. Pa reached down and lifted my chin, so I had to look at him. His face was real solemn, but I couldn't tell what he was thinkin'.

"Joseph, I am very disappointed in your behavior." I chewed on my lip and nodded, not sure if he wanted me to say anything, but he kept talking. "When I have to go away, I count on you and your brothers to make that time easier for your mother, not harder." Pa didn't let go of my chin, and I knew I had ta keep lookin' at him, but I sure wanted to look away. Pa's voice was quiet and sad, and that was worse than if he was yelling. He let go of my chin and crossed his arms across his chest. I looked away. "You knew that I would want to examine the raft, to see if it was made properly before you used it, didn't you?"

I stared at the floor. "Yes, sir."

"But you didn't ask me to look at it, did you?"

I looked up then. "I wanted to, but I couldn't." I was tryin' ta stay respectful, but I reckon my voice got a little louder'n it should.

Pa frowned, and his eyes narrowed. "And why is that?"

"Well, sir, I wanted ta ask you Friday before ya left, but then Erik got inta trouble and you were in a bad mood." Pa's jaw moved to the left, and I stepped back from him and rushed through my explanation. "And then Saturday you were at work, and then I didn't have a chance to ask and then on Sunday we were in church and then you had the picnic and stuff and then you were gone on Monday."

Pa rested his hands on his belt, and I thought I was gonna throw up. He stepped closer to me, and I couldn't move back because I was right up against the chair.

"Joseph, your mother and I discussed this, and she believes that she has punished you sufficiently." I wasn't sure what sufficiently meant, but I was hoping it meant he wasn't gonna tan me.

"I won't tan you this time, Joseph, but I promise if this ever happens again, you will regret it."

I nodded. Pa never forgot his promises. "Yes, sir. It won't happen again, Pa. I promise."

Pa glanced at Ma. "I'm counting on you to keep your promise, Joseph."

I stood up straight. "Yes, sir."

That night when Pa came home from the store, he told Ma that Mr. Orowitz was havin' some problems with a few of the boys in Eagle Station that were comin' and stealin' some of his apples. And, Pa said, Miss Sterrit was havin' problems with boys tryin' ta sneak inta the saloon.

Ma looked at Pa across the table, and then she looked at me and Erik. "What this town needs, Ben, is a school. These children," and I knew she was includin' me and Erik," have nothing but mischief to occupy their days."

A school? Erik and me looked at each other. That'd be awful!

Pa didn't notice us. "I agree, Marie. Eagle Station needs a school, but there's no town government that could build it. And then we have the problem of the teacher."

Ma smiled. "Ruth and I have discussed this already. We will use the back room of the trading post. The students' parents would pay a small fee to pay for rent. The rest of the fee would go to the teacher."

Pa seemed ta think a bit. Erik looked real worried and he was shakin' his head. Pa didn't pay him no mind though.

"All right, we have the schoolroom. But who will teach?"

Ma smiled again. "I will."

Pa shook his head. "Marie, we've discussed this before. No wife of…"

Ma gave him a look and he looked at us. "Are you boys finished eating? Good. Go outside and finish the chores."

I knew what that meant. Pa didn't want us around when he argued with Ma. Erik and me were halfway down the stairs when we heard Pa tellin' Adam to go help us.

We got inta the barn and Erik glared at me. "This is all your fault, ya know."

I didn't know what he was talkin' about. "Huh?"

"This school thing. The only reason Ma is suggestin' it is on accounta you got inta that trouble while Pa and me were gone."

I was gonna say somethin' but I heard Adam laughin' behind me. "Erik, how come you had to go with Pa anyway? Seems to me that you were getting into a bit of trouble before you left."

"Yeah!" I agreed with Adam. Erik leaned forward like he was gonna push me, but Adam stepped between us.

"Erik, I can guarantee you don't want Pa to come down here and see you fighting Joe." Erik shook his head, grabbed a pitchfork and started tossin' hay.

We were finishin' up when Pa came into the barn. "You boys finish here and head to bed. You need to be up early tomorrow so we can work on the schoolroom."

Adam twisted his lips. "Uh, Pa…"

Pa nodded. "Your mother will be the teacher. Adam, I think you'll be too old to attend, but Erik and Joseph will be enrolled."

Erik almost threw his pitchfork down, but a look from Pa stopped him. "You two boys will be on your best behavior in school, or we will discuss it out here. Am I understood?"

We sure knew what that meant. Erik nodded. "Yes, sir."

Pa looked at me. "Yes, Pa, I understand." I was still feelin' lucky that he didn't tan me this time, and I wanted ta stay outta trouble as long as I could.

We started school a few days later. It wasn't too bad, havin' Ma as a teacher. Obie was in my class, and that new girl, Tess, and a few other kids around town. I was real surprised when Hop Sing came to school on the second day. He could only come for two hours in the mornin' but he was grateful ta Ma for lettin' him come. She started buyin' meals from him a coupla days a week. She said it was so she didn't hafta run from the school to cook a supper for us, but I really think it was ta help Hop Sing buy his freedom back from Miz Sterritt.

I worked real hard in school, and I never got inta trouble. Well, almost never. Not so much trouble that Pa and me hadta have a conversation in the barn anyway. Even Erik behaved himself.

About a month after school began, Pa stopped me as I was goin' down the stairs from our rooms. I thought I must be in trouble, even if I didn't know why. It took me a minute to realize that he was smilin' and holdin' out the knife. I looked up at him.

"Joseph, your mother and I have been very pleased with your behavior this past month. You've done a good job in school and you've been very helpful at home. I'm also proud of the way that you help Hop Sing whenever you can. I think you deserve this now."

"Gol-ly, Pa." I turned the knife over in my hand. It was a beauty! I sure couldn't wait ta show Obie. Pa ruffled my hair and I grinned. I threw my arms around his waist. "Thanks, Pa. I won't never get inta trouble again!" I saw Ma standin' behind him, her hand over her mouth. "Thanks, Ma."

Then I broke away and ran down the stairs, accidentally slammin' the door on my way out. I ran almost all the way ta school. Obie was standin' on the tradin' post porch, tryin' ta stay outta the rain.

"Obie! Hey, Obie! Look what my Pa gave me!"

 

The End