The Pain of Glass

By Gail G.

 

Rating: PG (for one curse word at the end)

Disclaimer: I do not own the Cartwright characters.

Thanks to Marion for beta reading. Without her this story would never have been posted. Thanks Marion!! Thanks for Sheryl for all her support.

 

BEN

How I make it through some days I will never know. My three sons put my patience to the test almost daily. Even though I rarely have to scold or punish my two eldest sons, on occasion they seem to slip back into their childhood.

Today unfortunately was one of those times in which my usually calm nerves were pushed to the limit.

It all started early this morning when the boys awoke full of energy. Now I don’t mind that they are full of spunk–if they put all that power to good use. However, today that was not meant to be.

At breakfast they bickered, argued, complained and chastised one another until I became quite upset. It was an on-going conversation of who did what the best and who could do more work.

I finally silenced them all by threatening to give them the opportunity to prove how much work they could really do.

Stillness fell across the table almost immediately–only to be replaced by glares and grunting noises.

It was not until after breakfast that the bickering changed to playfulness. The boys started slugging one another and the taunting became out of control. The next thing I knew they were wrestling in the living area, knocking over furniture as they did so.

"Boys!" I bellowed.

However, they were making so much noise they did not even hear me.

"Extra chores for all of you!" I yelled once again.

Now why that statement brought their recognition I do not know. It must have been the word extra, or perhaps chore.

Well whatever it was they all jumped to their feet and watched me as I started to put my coat on.

"Boys, no more wrestling in the house, please. I don’t want anything to get broken." I buttoned my coat as I watched my youngest think about what I had said.

Finally he spoke up. "Ya mean like bones?" He asked, with a serious expression on his face.

Adam and Hoss both rolled their eyes. I could feel a smile creeping across my face; however, I held it back.

"Well, Joseph, bones was not what I had in mind. Even though it is quite possible that one of you could be hurt. I was thinking more about the things in the house, such as furniture, oil lamps, and trinkets."

Joe’s eyes became wide as understanding crossed his young face. "Oh. Yes, sir. We’ll be more careful, Pa."

"The three of you have chores to do. I’m sure you can put some of this over-activity to good use. I’ll meet you outside." I then turned and opened the door.

I heard all three answer with a "yes, Pa" as I closed the door behind me.

Now what happened from the time I stepped out of the house until I returned-I do not know.

Well, I don’t know as of yet that is. All I know was that I had watered the horses and finished the first stall, and they still had not come outside.

When they did not appear, I went back into the house to fetch them. It is an understatement if I said that I was not upset. My anger growing, I stalked back into the house to retrieve my wayward sons.

As I entered the house I noticed all three of my sons standing in the corner beside the bunkroom door.

"Did you forget about your chores?" I could feel the heat rising into my face as I propped my hands on my hips.

As soon as the trio turned I knew something had happened--I just did not know what. The three of them looked guilty as sin.

I deepened my frown as I glared at my sons. "All right, boys. What happened?"

The three took some quick glances at one another. I believe they were deciding just how much to tell me or if perhaps if they should tell me at all.

Adam simply lifted his hand and pointed to the window closest to the bunkroom. I leaned my head so that I could see around my sons.

The window was broken. How they managed to break out four panes of glass is beyond me.

I could feel my temper rising. Had I not just warned them earlier not to engage in horseplay in the house? It was apparent that they did not heed my warning.

I closed my eyes for a moment trying to control myself. When this did not work–I pointed to the front door and said two simple words. "Chores, now!"

Three sets of eyes became wide and they scurried like mice trying to get out the door. Even to this day it amazes me that when they are in trouble they each walk as far away from me as possible. I suppose they are assuming that they are never too old for that warning swat that comes with mischief. They would assume correctly.

After I heard the front door close, I moved closer to examine the damage. This is when I noticed the fireplace poker and small shovel leaning against the wall under the window.

Now what did that poker and shovel have to do with one broken window? I decided the best way to find out was to interrogate each son individually. Doing such always proves to be interesting. Each son does not know what the other has told–so they try to be careful to not let things slip.

Doing so is a struggle for them, for they don’t want to over tell, but they also don’t want to lie. For they know that if they were caught lying–to escape punishment would be quite impossible.

I moved to the door and stepped out onto the front porch. I watched from a distance for a moment as my sons busied themselves with their chores.

With whom to start, was the question on my mind. Should I go from oldest to youngest? Or perhaps youngest to oldest? I decided the next son that stepped into my sight would be the first victim.

Unfortunately for Hoss he stepped from around the back of the barn at that very moment.

"Erik!" I called to him from the porch.

He turned and looked at me, I swear I heard him swallow. "Yes, Pa!"

I waved at him to come join me. Adam had stepped out of the barn and they took quick glances at one another. Hoss then sat down the bucket he had in his hand and trudged toward the house.

I stepped inside and waited for my middle son’s arrival. "Pa? Did ya need me?"

I walked to the broken window. "Could you please explain?"

Hoss shifted as he ran his hands up and down his pant legs. I stood with my hands behind my back, all attention on my son. I don’t know what I was expecting him to say, but I decided to listen closely and to keep an open mind.

I stood silent as he began.

 

HOSS

When I heard Pa call for me I knew I was going to have to get a story together before going into the house. I was hopin’ that he would talk to all three of us at once. I get real nervous when talkin’ to Pa.

What makes all of this so bad was that Pa had done told us not to be wrestling in the house. Well we weren’t really wrestling. We were a sword fightin’ instead. I was using the fireplace poker and Joe was usin’ that little shovel.

Adam, well he was the judge. I don’t rightly ‘member whose idea it was to start that sword fightin’, but when I heard that glass breakin’ I knew we were in a mess of trouble.

Glass ain’t cheap, so somebody is goin’ to be payin’ for it. I have a real bad feelin’ it’s goin’ to be all of us.

Ut oh, Pa just walked over to that broken window and told me to explain. Is it hot in here all of a sudden? ‘Cuz I’m sure sweating up a storm.

"Well, sir. I reckon I can explain." I started wipin’ my hands on my pants. I just knew that he knew that I was real nervous.

"Well?" Pa said, as he narrowed his eyes.

"Well, Pa. Ya see. Well, we ummmm. . .we weren’t wrestling if that is what you’re thinkin’" I thought a good defense was needed.

Pa pointed at the window. "Then how–how did this happen? Don’t tell me that the three of you were just sitting on the settee and it broke."

"No, sir. We. . .we broke it all right. We just weren’t wrestling when we did it." Pa closed his eyes at that comment. Now he is rubbing his temples–for some reason I don’t think that is a good sign. When I was younger when Pa started rubbing his temples, it meant he was getting real upset. And I don’t like Pa that upset, ‘cuz that could leave a fellow in an uncomfortable position.

"Erik, please just explain how this window was broken."

Well I knew right then and there that I better not drag this story out. Pa had done called me ‘Erik’ twice within the last ten minutes. When he starts calling me by my proper name, I know I better get the story out and quick.

I took a real deep breath and started talkin’ real fast. "Well see, Pa. When ya told us we couldn’t wrestle no more we decided on a sword fight instead."

Pa held up his hand. "Sword fight?" He said, with a puzzled look on his face.

I cleared my throat. "Um. . .yes, sir. A sword fight."

"And whose idea was this ‘sword fight’?" Pa asked, as he placed his hands on his hip.

"Well, Pa. I don’t rightly remember."

"Go on, please." Pa shut his eyes again for a brief moment.

"Well, ya see, Pa. We decided on a sword fight, ‘cuz we reckoned it wasn’t wrestlin’. So I picked up the poker and Joe grabbed the shovel"

Pa stopped me once again. "Where was Adam?"

"Oh. . .he was here, Pa. He was the judge."

Pa rolled his eyes. "I see."

I stopped talkin’ for a minute ‘cuz I started thinkin’ ‘bout Pa rollin’ his eyes. If I do that Pa tells me I have a bad attitude. But I wasn’t goin’ to tell Pa that.

"Erik!" Pa’s voice brought me back to reality.

"Sorry, Pa." I said, as I looked him in his eyes. "Well anyway we started to fight like we had swords and we was hopping around, and that’s when we slipped."

"You slipped?"

"Yes, sir, we slipped."

"You slipped or Joe slipped." Pa shifted.

"Well, we slipped." I said.

"Who broke the window?" Pa asked.

"Pa, I’m not real sure. I guess we both did. When we slipped those swords when flying and hit the window. That’s when we heard the glass breaking."

"Erik, if the three of you had been doing your chores this would never have happened."

"Yes, sir. I know. I’m real sorry, Pa."

Pa rubbed his chin. "Yes, you should be. Who do you suppose will be paying for the new glass?"

"Ummm. . .I suppose we will be, Pa." I watched Pa as he took a step closer to the window. He looked at it closely.

"I suppose you’re right." He said.

He then turned at looked at me. "Please go and tell Joseph I need to speak to him."

"Yes, sir, Pa, sir." I said, as I backed away from him.

I bolted out the door as fast as I could before Pa could think of some other kind of punishment. Not that I don’t think havin’ to pay for that window is punishment, cuz it is. But, I’m still worried that he will remember that we disobeyed him and played around in the house.

‘Course, Pa hardly forgets anything. So for some reason, I don’t think that he is finished with me yet.

"Joe!" I shouted across the yard. Joe was stacking some wood that Adam had chopped.

Joe stopped and ran his arm across his forehead. I didn’t have to tell him that Pa wanted to speak to him–he just knew. He dropped the piece of wood he was holding and started walkin’ real slow to the house.

As he passed me I patted his back. "Good luck, Joe."

Joe mumbled as he stepped onto the porch.

I, on the other hand went to do my chores. I didn’t want Pa to have any other reason to be mad at me.

 

JOE

Me and Adam worked on the chores while Hoss went in the house to talk to Pa. I just don’t understand how my two older brothers get me into so much trouble.

I mean sure we were playin’ around in the house and it’s true ‘nough that Pa told us to stop. But we didn’t plan on breakin’ that window.

I think it’s all Adam’s fault ‘cuz he is the oldest and he knew better.

But here I am walking into the house. "Pa?"

"Over here, Joseph." I heard Pa’s voice come from around the corner.

I stepped to where his voice was comin’ from. He was standin’ beside that broken window.

"Did ya want to talk with me, Pa?"

Pa took a deep breath. I could tell by the way his chest went in and come back out.

"Joseph, can you explain how this happened?" Pa pointed to the window then to the glass on the floor.

I took a step closer. "Well, Pa, it’s broke."

"Joseph Francis Cartwright, that’s not what I meant and you know it."

Oh no, now I’ve got Pa all riled up. I hate when he calls me Francis, what was him and Ma thinkin’ when they gave me that name.

Pa started to lecture me, pointin’ that finger the way he does and talkin’ real fast.

Geezz. . .I never noticed how many wrinkles Pa has–wonder if I could count them. And when did Pa’s eyebrows start pokin’ out like that? I wonder if my eyebrows will do that when I get older.

"Well, young man. Is that correct?" I jumped ‘cuz I wasn’t really payin’ no attention.

"Ummm. . .yes, Sir?" Pa’s eyes just got real wide and that vein in his neck is startin’ to jump around. I don’t think I gave Pa the answer that he wanted.

"Yes, sir? Yes, sir? So you are saying you did disobey me on purpose?" Pa hooked his fingers into his belt buckle.

"NO, sir! We didn’t do nothin’ on purpose. Anyway it’s all Adam’s fault." I started wavin’ my hands in front of me as I took a step back.

Pa closed his eyes for a second, he was probably trying to figure out what he should do with Adam for causin’ all this mess.

"Joseph, why do you think it’s all Adam’s fault?"

I thought for minute, "Well, Pa, it’s like this. Adam is the oldest, and he knew better to be playin’ ‘round in the house after you done told us to stop. So how I see it, if’n he had stopped us and not been the judge then none of this would have happened."

"So, you’re saying that you’re not old enough to know better?" Pa drew his eyebrows together.

"Well, no, sir. Not ‘zactly, sir. What I’m tryin’ to say Pa was Adam should have stopped us."

Gosh, I hate it when Pa’s eyes turn that dark color, it just means I’ve gotten myself in deeper trouble.

"Joseph, all three of you are responsible and all three of you will be paying for the new glass. Am I understood?"

I started noddin’ my. "Yes, sir, Pa, sir. But, Pa, I ain’t got no money."

"You don’t have any money." Pa said.

"I know, Pa. I just told you that." Why is it that he is always repeatin’ what we say?

"Never mind, son. We will discuss the money issue and your disobedience later." Pa placed his hand on my back and walked me toward the door. "Please go tell Adam I need to speak to him. And, Joseph, make sure you finish your chores."

"Yes, sir. I’ll do ‘em real good." I opened the door and ran outside. Boy that wasn’t so bad, could have been a lot worse. Wonder what he meant by discussin’ my disobedience later?

Oh, there’s Adam. He just put Beauty in the corral. "Adam. . .Pa wants to talk to ya." I ran up and climbed up on the railing.

Adam grabbed me by the waist and set me to the ground. "Joe, go finish your chores." I watched as he pulled his hat down a bit and headed to the house.

 

ADAM

When will I ever learn not to listen to those brothers of mine? I’m twenty-one years old and am in trouble for breaking a window. What on God’s green earth was I thinking?

On top of that--no telling what those two have gone and told Pa. If he had spoken to us as a group then I would have been elected the spokesperson and I could have told limited information.

I have a feeling that is exactly why Pa did not talk to us together.

Well here it goes, I just opened the front door. I stepped inside and around the corner to where the broken window is. "Pa? You needed to see me?" I asked, as I took my hat off.

Pa motioned for me to come closer–so I did. He placed his arm around my shoulders.

"Adam, son. You’re what twenty-one now?" Pa had a real serious look on his face.

I cleared my throat. "Yes, sir, I am."

"Then would you like to explain to me why my adult son is going around breaking windows?" I could almost hear a bit of humor in Pa’s voice.

"Pa, I didn’t break it. I was just the judge, sir." I ran my hand through my hair.

Pa glared at me for a few moments. "Pa, I know what you’re going to say, sir."

Pa tilted his head to the left. "Well, Adam, what is it that I’m going to say? I’m quite curious to hear."

I watched as Pa moved to the settee and took a seat. He waved his hand at the chair across from him. I walked over and sat on the edge of the chair. I placed my elbows on my knees and let my hands hang between my legs.

"Well, sir. You’re going to tell me that you expect me to help you keep Hoss and Joe in line rather than participate in their mischief. That I should work with you and not against you. Then you will ask how that window became broken. Which I’m sure you already know that whole story. Well at least two versions of it. After that you’re going to tell me that we are all going to pay for the glass needed to repair the broken panes. Then you’re going to give us some type of punishment for disobeying you in the first place." I paused so I could watch the expression on my father’s face.

Pa surprised me when he chuckled out loud. "Adam, someday you’re going to make a wonderful father."

I raised my eyebrows. "I am?"

"Yes you are. And you are correct about everything you said. I would like to know, however, whose idea was it to sword fight."

I could feel myself blush. "Ummm. . .I guess it was mine, Pa. I was reading a new book called The Three Musketeers and they have some sword fights in it. Well since we were so full of energy I just thought we could act out part of the book. I suppose that was not a good idea?"

Pa rubbed his hand over his face several times. "Well, son, saying it was not a good idea is an understatement. You know I will expect the three of you to pay for that window, right?"

I simply nodded my head as I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Pa. I knew we would be doing that."

Pa frowned at me–I’m sure it was because I rolled my eyes. "Well, you go finish your chores. When the three of you are finished, I would like to speak to you together. We need to discuss what happens when you’re disobedient."

"Yes, sir." I stood from my spot and headed for the door. Well at least the worst was over with, I hope.

I went outside and joined my brothers in the chore completion. I informed them that Pa wanted to speak to us together when we were finished. Hoss and Joe moaned as if it was the end of the world.

I simply shrugged my shoulders and acted as if it did not bother me. However, deep inside me I was quite nervous. Pa does not like disobedience and I was worrying that he would not think I was too old to be punished.

We then worked together and finished cleaning the barn. When all the work was finished we headed back to the house. I thought I was going to have to pick Joe up and carry him he was moving so slow. Finally we made it to the porch. We then stood in front of the door and debated about who should go in first.

Our dilemma was solved when Pa swung the door open and ordered us each inside.

 

BEN

My sons never cease to amaze me. I attempted to go out to gather them for a serious discussion. Instead, when I opened the door they were standing there trying to decide who would enter first.

I solved their problem by ordering them each into the house. It’s been along time since I have seen my three sons look as if they were getting ready to be hanged.

I had the three of them stand in a line in front of me. I had heard three stories all a bit different. I however, had enough information to have a good idea what happened.

The three of them knew they would be paying for four new window panes. They however, were now concerned what I was going to go about their outright disobedience.

I paced in front of them a few times. I stopped and hooked my thumbs near my belt buckle.

The expressions on their faces changed dramatically. Hoss turned as white as a new fallen snow. Joe’s eyes became so wide they looked like the new full moon. Adam on the other hand started tugging on his ear–a sure sign that he was distressed.

"The three of you will be purchasing four new window panes." I looked at each son one at a time.

"Yes, sir." Three voices broke the silence.

"Do you have any idea how much window panes cost?" I asked.

My three sons shook their heads as the color started to return to their faces.

"Well how do you plan on paying for the new glass?" I shifted a bit. This only made my sons look more nervous.

 

"Pa, I have some money saved." Adam said.

Hoss spoke up. "Yep, me too, Pa."

 

They both glanced at Joe. "I ain’t got a nickel." Joe said, as he shrugged his shoulders.

Adam and Hoss both started to mumble. I stopped them before distasteful words were spoken.

"I’ve already thought about this." I started to explain, "you are each responsible for one third of the cost of the new glass. I’ll go to town and purchase it first thing tomorrow. If you do not have the money to pay me, you will do extra chores until your share is paid in full."

"Do you understand?" I stood firm with my arms crossed.

I heard three ‘yes sirs’ then a look of relief on each young mans face.

"Pa, if we’re finished we have chores." Adam spoke for all three of them.

"Well I’m not. We still need to discuss the disobedience that occurred."

"Oh." Adam spoke in a whisper.

I turned and looked at Hoss and Joe. "Lucky for you two Adam is too old for the punishment that you each deserve."

Hoss and Joe released long breaths of air. I would soon spoil their relief.

"Just because I can’t give you what you truly deserve does not mean you will go unpunished."

I watched as dread once again filled three young faces. "Erik, Joseph you are each restricted until you have paid me back every cent that you owe me. I’m sure neither of you have the appropriate funds to pay your share. Not after you each spent your allowances on candy yesterday. I’ll make sure you have plenty of chores to keep you busy. If there is a moment you don’t have something to do, come find me. Hop Sing or I will fill your spare time."

I waved my hand toward the door. "I suggest you two go get busy. Adam I would like to speak with you for a moment."

"Yes, sir." Hoss and Joe said, as they almost tripped over each other to get out of the house. I walked in front of them so I could open the door. As they each exited through the doorway-- I gave them each that swat they had been trying to avoid all day.

I watched my two youngest as they walked across the yard, each one rubbing the spot that I had swatted.

That left Adam and I alone. I turned to my eldest and set his ears on fire. I made it very clear that he was too old for such nonsense and if he expected to be treated like an adult then he should act as such. Adams, cheeks became as red as ripe cherries. He was embarrassed by such a reprimand at his age–he hates when I’m angry with him. I was not as angry as I was disappointed.

When I was finished lecturing my eldest I excused him so that he could go finish his own chores.

He looked so much like Joe when he started to walk to the door I almost chuckled. His shoulders were hunched over and he had a greenish tinge to his skin.

An idea came to me just as Adam opened the door to step outside. I pulled my arm back and gave him one single swat. His eyes widened with surprise; however, he didn’t speak a word. He did the same as his brothers before him and gently rubbed the spot where I had swatted him.

I watched and chuckled to myself as he walked across the tall green grass. He was greeted by his brothers as he reached the barn. I could almost hear the whispers as they each looked up at the house. Adam nodded his head and the three disappeared into the barn. I turned and went back inside to pour myself some coffee.

As I settled myself onto the settee I sipped the contents of the small mug in my hand. I know for a fact that I would have two sons spending the rest of the week doing extra chores and wishing they had never had a sword fight. My eldest son would spend some time thinking of what could have been if he had been Joe’s age.

I hope they know how lucky they are to only end up with broken panes of glass. For if Adam had been a bit younger–each son would have had a ‘pain’ in their ass . . .er. . . backside.

 

The End

01/02/2005