The One in the Middle Catches the Armadillo

By Amy B

 

 

A blood curdling scream came from the barn that made Margaret Greene's hair stand up on end. She dropped the ball of dough she'd been working on into the bowl and ran as fast as she could to the barn. Tess was attached to a pole that supported the loft, trying desperately to reach the ladder. "What happened?!" Maggie screamed, not knowing whether to be scared or angry.

"Ma, stay there, "Tess said softly. "Don't move. Don't let it see you."

"Don't let what see me," Maggie asked, slightly confused. "And what are you doing up there?"

Tess made a daring leap from the support beam to the loft ladder and began to climb up. When she felt she was safe she pointed down below the loft, close to where she'd been cowering. "There. You see that thing?"

Maggie looked at where Tess was pointing. She didn't see anything at first, then she looked again. She jumped back about two feet from where she was standing, letting out a small scream as she did. "What-what is it?" she asked.

"I have no idea, "Tess said. "But it hissed at me and made some other strange noises. I didn't want to stick around and find out."

"We have to get it out of here. First, we need to get you out of here."

"Maybe you could distract it long enough for me to get down. Then we can shut the barn and trap it in there."

"We have to get the animals out too."

"There won't be time for both, Ma. I'll just jump out the window of the loft."

Tess disapeared for a moment. "Tess, I don't think that's such a good idea."

Tess appeard again at the edge of the loft. "Don't worry Ma, I do it all the time when Hoss is here."

"And I'm not," Maggie smiled.

"How else am I supposed to get out, Ma?"

"Once we're both out, I do not want to open the doors again. We should get the animals out and it should stay in."

All at once the animal noticed Maggie standing by the open door to the barn. It waddled quickly toward her. Maggie made a bee line for the ladder and joined Tess up in loft. "So much for that, "Tess said with smile. Maggie laughed, half-heartedly. They both watched as the strange animal waddled its way outside. "Now how do you suppose we get out."

"I don't want to go out there," Maggie argued. "Not with that.. that thing out there."

"Someone has to ride for help, Ma."

"Tess, no one's going to want to catch that thing if they don't know what it is."

"Hoss will, " Tess said, perking up a little. "He loves all animals."

"And you plan on riding out to the Cartwrights with that thing out there?"

"Ma, as long as I'm on the horse, it won't bother me."

"I'm not so sure about that, Tess."

Tess climbed down the ladder, watching the door for any sign of the animal.

She unlatched the gate to her horses stall. "I won't be too long."

"Aren't you going to saddle the horse?'

"Are you kidding me? That thing could come back in here at any moment.

The tack room's closer to the door. I'll just ride bare-back. Don't go anywhere!" Tess mounted her horse and rode through the open door of the barn. She didn't stop until she reached the Cartwrights.

Ben was out in the yard fixing a door for the barn. "Tess, what a nice surprise, but Hoss isn't here."

"Oh, well, maybe you can help, Mr. Cartwright."

Ben could tell the girl was in some sort of trouble by the tone of her voice. "Is something wrong, Tess?"

"I'm kind of embarassed to tell you, but there's some sort of animal in the yard. He scared me enough to try and climb up the walls of the barn and he scared Ma enough to trap her in the loft."

Ben put his tools down on the door he'd been working on. "Let me go get my shotgun and tell Joseph and Hop sing where I'm going." Ben disapeared into the house.

"Look what I made, Pa, " Little Joe said as he walked in. "Hop Sing showed me how."

The boy held up a napkin shaped like a diamond. "Very nice, Joseph, " Ben said, grabbing his shotgun off the wall. "I'm going to the Greene's. I'll be back in a while."

"What's wrong, Pa?" Joe asked. "Can I come with you?"

"No, son, "Ben said, then he suddenly changed his mind. "Actually, I might need your help."

"Alright!" Joe said, excitedly. "I'll get my boots on and saddle the Paint."

"You're gonna have to ride double with me, Joseph, "Ben explained. "We haven't got time to saddle the Paint."

Joe ran back to the bedroom and grabbed his boots. He sat down on the floor and put them on. He stood up and ran to the door. "Let's go, Pa!"

"Hop Sing, we shouldn't be too long, "Ben said. "If Hoss and Adam return from town, please tell them where we are."

"Yes, Mr. Cartwright," Hop Sing replied.

Ben and Joe walked outside. "I figure Joseph could help too, "Ben said.

"Thanks, Mr. Cartwright." Tess turned her horse around. Ben and Joe went into the barn and rode out a moment later. They followed Tess up to the Greene farm. "Ma!"

"Maggie!"

"In here, Ben!" Maggie's voice called. Tess, Joe and Ben dismounted and walked toward the barn. "It's back."

"Look Pa!" Joe said, pointing at the animal. "Ain't that the ugliest thing you've ever seen?"

"Maggie, you've got yourself an armadillo, "Ben said, laughing. "He looks mean, but he's completely harmless."

"You can come down now, Mrs. Greene, "Little Joe added.

Maggie climbed down the ladder, red from embarassment. She eyed the armadillo as she walked toward Ben and the others. "Are you sure he's harmless, Ben?"

"Positive, "Ben said. "But I'll shoot him if you still think he's a threat."

"No, Pa!" Little Joe said. "He ain't hurting no one."

"Joseph, it's not your decision, "Ben said sternly. "I think Mrs. Greene should be the one to decide."

"No, Ben, " Maggie said. "The boy's right. He's not hurting anyone."

Ben began walking toward the house. Maggie, Little Joe and Tess followed.

"Sorry to scare you, Mr. Cartwright, " Tess said.

"It's alright, Tess, "Ben replied. "You saw that armadillo as a threat. You did the right thing by coming to get us."

"Would you like to come in for a glass of lemonade or something, Ben?" Maggie asked.

"We really shouldn't, Maggie, "Ben said. "Hoss and Adam should be back any minute now with the supplies from town, and they're going to need our help unloading them. Thanks for the offer though."

"Thanks again, Ben, "Maggie said.

"You let us know if that animal becomes a problem, now, Maggie, "Ben said.

"I'll send Hoss and Adam out to catch it so we can let it go far away from here."

"Yeah, Hoss has all these neat traps and things, "Joe said. "He even caught himself a racoon in one."

Ben's eyebrow raised "He did?"

Joe had said too much. "Yeah, but he let him go."

Ben mounted the horse and pulled Joe up to sit in front of him. "Bye Maggie. Bye Tess."

Both women waved goodbye. Ben turned his horse around and headed home.

 

Just as Ben had suspected, Hoss and Adam had returned from town. They were just about done unloading the wagon when he rode up. "Sorry, boys," Ben said picking up one of the last crates in the wagon. "The Greene's had an emergency."

"Hop Sing told us you'd gone over there, " Hoss said. "I take it everything was okay."

Before Ben could answer, Little Joe chimed in. "They were scared of a little ole armadillo! You should have seen it. It was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. Right, Pa."

"It was ugly, "Ben agreed, "But they had every right to be scared. They weren't sure what it was and what it would do to them or their animals."

"Did you kill it, Pa?" Adam asked, noticing the shotgun.

"No, "Ben replied. "Maggie decided that it wasn't a threat to them."

"After Pa explained what it was, " Little Joe added.

Ben handed the shotgun to Little Joe. "Go hang this up in it's place, son."

"Yes, sir!" Joe said and disapeared into the house.

Ben, Hoss and Adam followed with the last of the supplies. "Here you go, Hop Sing, "Adam said. "That's the last of it."

"Thank you Adam. I hear you had quite an adventure with the armadillo, Mr. Cartwright, "Hop Sing said. "Joseph tell me all about it."

"I'm sure, knowing Joseph, he over exagerated a little, too, Hop Sing, "Ben said, "But it's over now."

There was a desperate knock on the door. "Mr. Cartwright!"

Hoss recognized the voice and ran to the door before anyone could get there. "Tess!"

"It's back!" Tess said, almost crying. "He's got Ma cornered in the back bedroom."

Ben grabbed his shotgun and threw the other one to Adam. "Hoss, stay here with Joseph."

"But Pa, " Hoss argued. "Why can't we come?"

"Just do as I say, "Ben replied. "We'll be back in a while."

Adam and Ben ran out the door. Adam had already begun to unhitch the horses from the wagon so he finished quickly and rode up behind Tess and his father. Tess led the way.

"We never get to have any fun!" Joe pouted. "I think we should go over there and help them."

"Pa said not to, " Hoss said. "Now we should do as he says."

"Yeah, but that ole armadillo doesn't scare me, "Joe said. "He's just a baby and Pa and Adam are going to kill him!"

Hoss cringed at his younger brother's words. He didn't like the sound of any animal being killed. But the fact was he'd cornered Mrs. Greene and he was now a threat to them. "We can't, Little Joe."

This time the ride was much quicker. Ben didn't even wait for his horse to stop before he started climbing off. He ran inside the house. "Maggie!"

Mrs. Greene was sitting at the table, working with her dough. "He's gone now."

"Where is he?"

Adam and Tess walked inside.

"He let me out shortly after Tess left. He ran out the front door."

"Did you happen to see which direction he went in?" Adam asked.

"No," Maggie replied. "I didn't want to follow it because I was still too scared."

"Ma, we can't go on living with that animal threatening us, "Tess said.

"We need to get rid of it."

"I know, "Maggie said. "I know, but he's too fast. He sneaks up on you and runs away too fast."

"Pa, aren't armadillos digging animals." Adam asked.

"Yes, son, "Ben replied. "What are you thinking?"

"He's probably got a nest somewhere around here, "Adam said. "You said he first showed up in the barn?"

"Yes, " Tess replied. "I went in to feed the horses and there he was."

"Which means he probably has a little burrow somewhere near there, "Adam explained. "You think if we smoke him out he'll leave?"

"It's worth a shot, son, "Ben said. "But armadillos, if I remember, are quite the stubborn animals, as well."

"I don't think that I've ever seen one," Adam said.

"Your little brother hit the nail on the head when he said he was the ugliest thing he'd ever seen," Tess smiled. "He made all sorts of hissing and squeaking noises. He looked like he was ready to attack me."

"He's got a hard shell on the outside of his body, "Ben added. "But I don't think it will be too hard to shoot him."

Adam cringed. "Do we have to shoot him, Pa? Couldn't we send Hoss over with one of his traps and then let it go in the wild. He did that with a racoon not too long ago.

Ben's face wrinkled. It was the second time one of his boys had told him about the racoon. He made a mental note to ask Hoss about it when he got back. "From what Tess and Maggie are saying, son, that animal's dangerous. I've never known an armadillo to attack anyone, but that doesn't this one won't if it feels threatened."

 

"What if we smoke him out and Hoss is ready with his trap. We throw it in the back of the wagon and ride right out to the woods and let him go, "Adam said. "I just don't think Hoss or Joe would ever forgive us if we didn't give the animal a fighting chance. If he returns again, we'll talk about shooting him."

"Maggie?" Ben asked. "It's your decision."

"I think we should catch him and let him go, Ben," Maggie said. "Adam's right. It hasn't done anything to harm us yet. So far it's just given us a scare."

"You think you could wait until tomorrow, "Ben asked. "I'm sure Hop Sing's got supper waiting and I Hoss and Joe weren't too happy about being left at home."

"As long as we keep the doors closed, he won't come in, " Maggie said. "We could wait until morning."

"We'll be by around eight o'clock, "Ben said. "I'll have Hoss get his trap ready tonight and load it in the wagon."

"Thanks, Ben," Maggie said. "I'm sorry we gave you another scare."

"I'm just glad that's all it was, Maggie, "Ben replied. He follwed Adam out the door, put his hat back on his head and mounted his horse. "See you at eight."

Adam and Ben rode off the road toward home. Adam had a smile on his face.

"You have to admit, Pa, this is a pretty funny situation."

"Yeah, "Ben replied. "One little armadillo causing such an uproar."

Adam and Ben laughed the rest of the way home.

Hoss and Little Joe stood on the porch waiting for Adam and Ben to return.

"There they are!" Joe screamed and he jumped over the steps and ran to his father's horse.

Ben didn't like what he'd seen Little Joe do. "Joseph, don't ever do that again. You could break your leg, son."

Little Joe didn't ignore what his father had told him, but he didn't respond. "Did you get the armadillo, Pa? Did ya?"

"No, "Ben said. "We're all going back there tomorrow morning to try and catch it." Ben looked at Hoss. "You think you have a trap that we could use to catch an armadillo?"

"Sure, Pa, "Hoss said.

"After supper I want you to get it ready and put it in the wagon. I told Maggie and Tess we'd be there at eight o'clock."

"Sure thing, Pa, "Hoss replied. "Where are we going to take it once we catch it?"

"Somewhere in the woods, far away from any farms, people or livestock, "Ben said. "I don't think Maggie and Tess will be going with us either."

Adam and Ben exchanged looks. They knew the Greenes had seen enough that armadillo.

After supper was over Hoss walked out to the barn to choose a trap for the armadillo. Ben got up and walked to the door. He turned to Adam and Joe before opening it. "Neither one of you come outside until I come back in."

With that, Ben opened the door and walked out.

"What brought that on?" Adam asked, the look on his face matching that of his little brother's. "Is Hoss in some kind of trouble?"

"Don't know, "Joe replied, then he remember the discussion about the racoon. "I kinda told Pa about the racoon Hoss caught."

"You too?" Adam said. "I hope Pa doesn't go too hard on him."

"Yeah, " Joe said. "Me too."

Adam went back to his book and Joe poured the blocks of wood out of a sack. He'd gathered them from around the place where his father had been repairing the door for the barn. He sat on the floor and began piecing them together.

Ben walked into the barn. Hoss looked up when he felt his father's presence. "I think this one will do, "Hoss said, holding the trap up. "What do you think?"

"Looks like a fine trap to me, son, "Ben replied. "Can I ask you about something?"

"Sure, "Hoss said, getting up. "I need to go put this in the wagon so it'll be ready for tomorrow. Hoss walked toward the door. Ben followed.

"Both your brothers said something about you catching a racoon a while back, "Ben said. "I thought we discussed you trapping wild animals, especially racoons."

"He was just a baby, Pa, "Hoss said. The look on his father's face said he needed more of an explanation. "He was getting in Hop Sing's garden. I didn't want to pick him up, so I coaxed him into the trap and put him in the barn over night. It was too late to let him go, but I let him go first thing in the morning."

"You showed your brothers?" Ben asked.

"Yes, sir, "Hoss replied. The placed the trap in the back of the wagon.

"But I wouldn't let Little Joe try to pet him. I wasn't sure if he was going to bite or not."

"Smart thinking, "Ben said. "But you know how I feel about that. See to it that it doesn't happen again, unless it's a situation like we have at the Greene's. If we do need to trap an animal here, I want to know about it."

"Yes, sir, " Hoss replied. "How do you plan on getting the armadillo in the trap, anyway, Pa?"

"You're such the expert, I thought you'd find a way."

"What do armadillos eat? Maybe if he's hungry the smell of food will get him out."

"That's a very good idea, son. Adam and I were planning on just smoking the little critter out of hiding, but you may be on to something."

"You think he'll eat chicken feed or something like that?"

"I'm sure Hop Sing will let us have some of those left overs from supper tonight. I don't know what armadillos eat, but he'd be a fool to pass up Hop Sing's cooking."

Hoss laughed. "You won't get an argument from me there!"

"Speaking of Hop Sing's cooking, I believe he has a pie for dessert."

The mention of food made Hoss' smile grow even bigger. "I'll race you inside." Hoss took off running with Ben hot at his heals. They reached the porch at the same time. "Guess we're both equally as hungry for that pie, "

Hoss laughed. Ben laughed too, and they walked inside together.

"Look what I built, Pa!" Joe said, pointing to his masterpiece on the floor. "It's what the Ponderosa will look like when I'm Adam's age."

"Very good, son, "Ben replied. "Come on up to the table and have some pie. Adam, you too."

Adam put his book down. "Okay, Pa. Pie sounds good.

They all took a seat back at the table and ate their pie. Hoss and Ben discussed their plans to lure the armadillo out with the smell of Hop Sing's cooking. Even Hop Sing agreed with that idea and prepared a special meal just for that purpose.

"Joseph, it's about time you hit the hay, son, "Ben said. "If you plan on coming with us tomorrow then you'd best get a good night's sleep."

"I really get to come this time?" Joe asked, "Alright!" He got up from his chair, jumped over his block towers and ran to the room. Ben got up and began clearing the table. Hop Sing took the dishes from him. "Mr. Cartwright go tell little boy to clean up mess first, then help Hop Sing with dishes."

Ben laughed. "Okay, Hop Sing." Ben walked in to the open door of the bedroom. "Joseph, Hop Sing's requested that you go clean up your blocks in the living room."

"Can't I leave them there until morning, Pa, "Joe begged. "They ain't hurting anyone."

"They aren't hurting anyone, "Ben corrected. "And I disagree. They're in the middle of the room where everyone has to walk. You need to go clean them up."

"Yes, sir, "Joe said. He walked out of the room with his father behind him

Joe took every block off it's tower one by one and placed them in the bag they'd come from.

"Today would be nice, Joseph," Ben said as he watched his youngest's meticulous manor of putting away his new toys. "I still want you to get a good night's sleep."

Joe knocked down the last two towers without a word and put the blocks away. "Night, Pa, night Adam, night Hoss, "He said and headed back to the bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

"You two might want to think about going to be pretty soon yourselves, "Ben said, joining Hop Sing at the sink. "But it's up to you."

"Yeah, "Hoss said. "All this talk about running armadillos has made me sleepy."

"That's funny, "Adam replied. "I thought it was the two and a half pieces of pie you ate." He laughed but didn't get the same reaction from his brother.

"You know Adam, all that teasing's gonna come back to haunt you one day, "

Hoss said. He couldn't help but laught. "Good night, Pa. Night Adam."

"Night, son," Ben said.

Adam stayed at the table. "Pa, I know it's none of my business, but you weren't too hard on Hoss about the raccoon, were you?"

"You're right son, it's none of your business," Ben replied. "But I told him how much I disapproved of what he did and that he needs to ask me from now on if he needs to trap any animals."

"That coon sure was cute. Hoss said he couldn't have been more than a few weeks old. He said he probably lost his mama."

Ben didn't want to discuss his son's fondness of animals anymore, so he changed the subject. "Who taught Joseph how to jump off the steps the way he did today?"

"Don't know, Pa, "Adam said. "Maybe he taught himself."

"I've also seen him swing around the supports on the porch," Ben said.

"Are you going to tell me he taught himself that one too?"

"Hoss and I taught him that one, "Adam admitted. "But we told him not to do it when you were around because you would say it was too dangerous."

"And it is," Ben said. "I wish you wouldn't teach him things like that. There's not a doctor for several miles and I'd hate for something to happen to him."

Adam wanted to change the subject now, but he thought he'd better agree with his father before going on. "Yes, Pa, "He said. "I'll tell Hoss for you."

"Thank you. I think I'll turn in now. Good night, Adam."

"Night, Pa." Adam watched as his father went to his room and closed the door. Adam got up and sat down in his chair and began reading his book. After a while he began to yawn.

"Go to bed, Adam," Hop Sing said. "Tomorrow will be big day."

"Night, Hop Sing."

Adam put his book down on the table and walked into the bedroom. Hoss was already sleeping, and Little Joe was close. Adam could tell he was faking it, though. He climbed into his own bed and drifted slowly off to sleep.

Little Joe's eyes popped open. It was morning and it was time to go catch the armadillo. He looked around the room, and didn't see either of his brothers there. He hoped they hadn't left without him after his father said that he indeed was allowed to come this time. He got up and got dressed, quickly and then walked out to the kitchen where he was very happy to see his family eating breakfast. "Are we going?" He asked, to no one imparticular.

Ben looked up and finished the food he had in his mouth. "Come eat breakfast, son."

"I ain't hungry, " Joe said. "I'm ready to go armadillo hunting."

"You aren't hungry, "Adam corrected. "And you need to eat. We aren't leaving for another half an hour yet."

Joe sat down, his expression letting everyone know he was still protesting leaving the hunt off any longer. Hop Sing brought out a plate of flap jacks and bacon and put it down in front of him. "Thanks, Hop Sing." Hop Sing nodded and walked back to the stove.

"Eat up, Joseph, "Ben said. "I'm going to check to make sure we have everything we need."

Joe shoved a bite of food into his mouth. Without even swallowing the first bite, he stuck another bite in. Adam grew disgusted at his little brother's table manners. "Joe, one bite at a time, buddy. You're gonna choke!"

Joe chewed what he had in his mouth and then stuck his tongue out at Adam, playfully. Adam didn't think it was funny, and got up from the table.

"Spoiled sport," Joe mumbled under his breath.

Adam didn't hear Joe but Hoss did and he tossed a stern glance over at his youngest brother. "Eat up or I'll tell Pa what you done and you won't get to go with us."

Joe finished his breakfast without a word. By the time he was finished, everyone else was outside. He took his plate into the kitchen and Hop Sing handed him a small container. "Armadillo food, "he said witha smile.

"Use sparingly."

"Thanks, Hop Sing, "Joe said, grabbing the container and running out the door. He jumped clear over the steps and landed next to the back of the wagon.

"Joseph!" Ben yelled from the front of the wagon where he was double checking the horse harnesses. He stopped what he was doing and walked over to Joe. "I thought I told you yesterday not to do that anymore."

Joe hung his head. "You did."

"So why in heaven's name did you do it again?" Ben asked. "You know how dangerous it is and I don't want you getting hurt."

"I don't know, "Joe said, still staring at the ground.

Ben lifted Joe's chin up so his eyes were looking directly at him. "Don't do it again."

"Yes, sir, "Joe said. He handed the small container he'd got from Hop Sing to Ben. "Hop Sing said use it sparingly."

Ben took the container and placed it in the gunny sack in the back of the wagon with some other supplies they had gathered.. "Time for you to get in.

You make sure to sit down while we're moving."

Ben lowered the tailgate of the wagon and Joe climbed in. He sat against the front wall, next the seat. Hoss climbed in and sat next to him. "You ready to help catch that armadillo?"

"Yeah, "Joe replied, sofly. "I guess."

"You were so excited before," Hoss said. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Joe said.

Adam and Ben climbed aboard the wagon seat. Adam took the reigns and they drove off toward the Greene's. Tess and Maggie were waiting outside. They helped unload all the gadgets and supplies from the wagon. Joe took charge of the armadillo food. "So, what's your plan, Hoss?" Tess asked.

"Well, first we're gonna try coaxing the little guy out with some food, Hop Sing made especially for him," Hoss explained.

Little Joe walked up with the little container in his hand. "Hop Sing said to use it sparingly. What does that mean?"

"It means not to use too much at a time. Save it for several uses, "Tess explained. She tried to take the small container from Little Joe

"No, I want to do it!" Joe snapped.

"Joseph!" Ben shouted. "Would you like me to take you home and let you stay with Hop Sing?"

"No, Pa, "Little Joe replied. He handed Tess the container. "Sorry, Tess."

"I just wanted to smell it, Little Joe," Tess explained. "No animal can resist the smell of Hop Sing's cooking."

"That's what we're depending on," Hoss said. He picked up the trap. "Were you able to figure out where he lives?"

"I haven't seen him yet this morning, "Tess said. "But my bet is he lives under the barn somewhere, like Adam said."

"We'll set the trap near there, then, "Hoss said. Everyone followed Hoss to an area near the back of the barn. "How's this?"

No one disagreed except Little Joe. "Maybe we should put it closer to the hole on the front end?"

"Hole?" the others said in unison.

"Yeah, over there, "Joe pointed.

Adam went to examine where his brother was pointing. "Pa!"

Ben joined Adam. "Well, I'll be dog gone, "Ben said. "Good job, Joseph."

Little Joe grinned from ear to ear. He was glad to be able to help, but to be the first and only one to discover a possible hiding place for the little critter gaving him bragging rights with his family.

Hoss put the trap a few feet from the hole. Tess still had the small container of food and she handed it to Hoss. He opened it and scooped a little bit in to the center of the trap with a spoon he'd brought along from the kitchen. He shut the container and handed it to Joe who was now standing directly over the trap. "How does this thing work, anyway?" Joe asked.

"When the armadillo steps on the place where the food is, the door shuts, like this, "Hoss demonstrated. "It's fool proof, really."

"But will it work?" Joe asked.

"Let's hope so, Little Joe, "Maggie said. "Let's hope so."

"We should probably just go back in the house and wait, "Hoss said. "He probably won't come out until we're gone."

Ben agreed. "Let's all go in."

"Can we watch from the window, Pa?" Joe asked. "Please?"

"You may be there a while, Little Joe, "Adam said. "We don't even know if the armadillo lives in that hole."

"He lives there, "Joe said. "I'm sure of it."

"Well, maybe he ain't home, "Hoss said. "He might be out hunting for food for his family."

"Let's hope he doesn't have a family, "Maggie said. "I think one armadillo is more than enough for me."

"Right, "Hoss agreed. "But he could be out hunting for himself."

"And when he smells Hop Sings food, he'll go into the trap and BAM!" Joe shouted, clapping his hands together to show a closing trap. "He's in there for good."

The group went inside. Little Joe waited by the front window and watched.

The others sat in the great room and talked for a while. Hoss decided to go in the front room and keep Little Joe company. "Nothing yet, huh?" Hoss asked.

"Nah, " Little Joe said. "Maybe he just ain't hungry."

"Well, we've got to do something, "Hoss said. "We promised Mrs. Greene and Tess we'd have that armadillo outa here today."

"What other kinda stuff did you bring to try and catch it?" Joe asked.

"Pa brought some stuff to try and smoke it out. But that seems kinda mean to me."

"I would like it if someone tried to catch my house on fire either."

"It wouldnt' be fire we'd be throwing down there, it'd just be smoke."

"Yeah, fire would burn down the barn!"

"And we wouldn't want to do that."

Adam joined his brothers by the window. "Hasn't taken the bait, yet, huh?"

"No, "Hoss said. "I think we'd better try your idea and smoke him out."

"You sure you don't want to wait a little while longer, Hoss, "Adam asked.

"It's not like we've got anything else to do."

"Yeah we do, "Joe said. "We've got chores to do."

"Shhhh!" Hoss and Adam said together. Adam put a hand over Little Joe's mouth

"Don't say that so loud, "Hoss said. "If Pa will let us stay here, maybe we can get out of most of our chores for the day."

Joe smiled, moving Adam's hand away from his mouth. "Why didn't I think of that?"

 

Adam and Hoss just laughed. "I'll have Pa get the stuff ready," Adam said. "I'll meet you out by the hole."

Joe jumped up first and ran to the front door. Hoss walked slower and came up behind him. "You know Pa ain't gonna let you help with this part, Little Joe, "Hoss said. "Fire's dangerous."

They both walked outside. "I thought you said we wouldn't be using fire."

"Well, we have to get the smoke from somewhere, don't we?"

Adam and Ben walked up to them. "Hoss, Adam said you want to try smoking him out."

"Yeah, Pa, "Hoss replied. "Doesn't seem as though the trap's doing it's job."

"It was a good idea, though. Joseph, I'll need you to stand over there with Tess and Mrs. Greene and keep your distance."

Little Joe wanted to argue but he decided that would only cause more trouble. "Yes, Pa, "He said and walked over to the front porch where Maggie and Tess were standing. "You don't get to help either, huh?"

"It's not that we don't want to help, Little Joe, "Maggie said. "Neither one of us really wants to see that thing again."

"It ain't that bad, "Joe said. "In fact, when you look through all the ugliness, I think he's kinda cute."

Tess groaned. "That thing is not cute."

"Does that mean you won't come with us when we let him go in the wild?"

"Tess might go because Hoss is going, but I'm giong to stay behind, "Maggie replied.

"I don't know what it is you see in my brother," Joe said with a smile.

Tess laughed under her breath. "He's not always as fun as you think. In fact, sometimes he's as lovable as that armadillo."

Tess and Maggie burst out in laughter. Ben looked over toward the porch when he heard them. "Sounds like your brother's the life of the party over there."

Adam laughed. "Isn't he always?

Ben picked up a makeshift torch he'd assembled that morning and handed it to Adam. "I've doused this with a little bit of lamp oil to make sure it catches fire. As soon as we light it, Hoss, you douse it with water to put the flame out, then we'll throw it down the hole. We have to make sure the flame is all the way out, first."

"You think this'll work, Pa?" Hoss asked.

"It's worth a shot, "Ben replied. They all walked over to the hole.

"Pa, who's gonna hold the trap?" Hoss asked just before Ben lifted the torch to light it.

"If that armadillo knows what's best for him, he'll go right into the trap where the food is, "Ben replied. "But he might just find another place to hide."

"Then we'll just have to leave the trap out until he gets hungry again," Adam said. "Which probably won't be too long."

Hoss was satisfied with the answer. "I'm ready when you are, Pa."

Ben took a match out and struck it on the end of the box. He lit the torch. It glowed. "Alright, Hoss. Throw the water on." Ben held the torch away from his body and Hoss tossed the bucket of water over the edge of the flames. They went out and smoke began to rise. Ben threw the torch into the hole, and they waited. Out from the back of the barn came the armadillo, running at full speed.

"There he is, Pa!" Hoss yelled, and pointed excitedly in the direction he'd seen the armadillo run. "Back there!"

Before Hoss, Adam or Ben could even begin to run, Little Joe ran past them. "I'll catch him!" he screamed. Joe ran after the waddling armadillo.

"Joseph, no!" Ben yelled and ran to catch up with his son. He grabbed Little Joe by the collar of his shirt and stopped him. "Don't chase him."

"He can't run that fast Pa, "Joe said, I was gonna chase him back toward the trap!"

"Let him be, "Ben ordered. "He'll be back when he's hungry, and the only food around here is what's in the trap."

Little Joe turned around and began walking back toward the Greenes and his brothers. "Maybe he won't be back cause he thinks you're trying to burn down his house."

"It's not his house to begin with, "Ben said. "I think maybe he realized that when you started chasing him."

"I just wanted to help, "Joe pouted. "How come I can't help?"

"It's not that we didn't want you chasing him into the trap, Little Joe," Hoss said. "You don't know if that thing would bite you or not."

"He doesn't scare me. I'd get away from him before he bit me."

"You don't know that, son. I'd be quite angry if someone smoked me out of my house and plotting for revenge."

"Revenge, Pa?" Adam asked, laughing. "Now even that seems a little silly for an armadillo."

"Let's all go back inside and wait, "Ben said, ignoring the comment from his oldest son. "He won't go in the trap with us standing around here."

Joe was the first in the house again. He took his place by the window to watch while the others sat in the great room and talked. The armadillo came out of hiding and put it's nose up in the air. He followed the smell straight to the trap that was set. He eyed the food from the outside of the cage and examined the mechanism carefully. His hunger couldn't escape him anymore. He walked straight into the trap and the door slammed. The armadillo didn't seem to care because he was munching down on Hop Sing's food.

Joe squealed with glee and ran into the great room. He didn't even realize he was interrupting his father's conversation. "WE CAUGHT HIM! WE CAUGHT HIM! The armadillos in the trap!" Joe jumped up and down. "Come on, let's go see!"

Adam and Hoss followed Joe outside, followed by Tess, Ben and Maggie. "Would you look at that. Hop Sing's food really worked," Hoss said. "And so did my trap."

"He's a lot uglier up close than he looks from a distance, "Joe said. "Ain't he Adam."

"I do agree he's ugly," Adam said, reaching out to pick up the handle of the cage. The armadillo hissed and Adam jumped back three feet. "H-Hoss, I think you'd better carry that cage to the wagon. He doesn't seem to like me."

Joe laughed at his brother's reaction to the armadillo. "Adam's scared of the armadillo! Adam's scared of the armadillo, "he chanted.

"That's enough, Joseph, "Ben said. "Hoss, be careful."

Hoss gently picked up the handle and spoke to the spooked animal. "Don't worry, buddy. We're gonna let you go again in a real safe place." He walked quickly to the wagon and placed the cage in the back."

"Pa, can I ride up in the seat with you and Adam, "Joe asked.

"Are you scared, little buddy?" Adam asked, grinning from ear to ear.

"Of the armadillo, no, "Joe replied. "Of Hoss talking with animals, yes."

The rest of the group laughed. "Climb on up, son, "Ben said, giving Joe a hand up to the wagon seat before climbing up himself.

Adam climbed up and then looked back at Hoss. "All set?"

"Yeah, "Hoss replied, looking over at Tess. "You sure you don't want to come?"

"Positive, "Tess replied. "You all go on."

"We'll be back in a while, Maggie," Ben said, whistling to the horses. "Giddyap!"

The wagon jolted and jerked along the rocky road. They rode a while until they got to the edge of a wooded area. "This looks good, Pa, "Hoss said. Ben pulled the wagon to a hault. Hoss got out and set the cage down on the ground. Ben, Adam and Joe turned around in the seat of the wagon, to watch. Hoss opened the door of the trap and the armadillo went to the edge of the cage. He stuck his nose up in the air to sniff the air, then waddled out, slowly. "Go on, "Hoss said. "You're free now."

The armadillo turned around and looked up at Hoss, then he went back into the cage. "He don't want to go, "Little Joe said. "He wants more of that stuff Hop Sing cooked."

Hoss nudged the cage a little. "Go on little fella. I ain't got no more."

The armadillo turned around again and walked out of the cage. He waddled a few feet and turned around again. Hoss picked up the cage and put it back in the wagon. "Will he be okay out here, Pa, "Little Joe asked.

"He'll be fine, son, "Ben replied. "You want to climb in the back of the wagon with Hoss on the way back to the Greene's?"

Joe nodded and climbed over Adam's lap and jumped onto the ground. He went around the back of the wagon and climbed in next to Hoss. "All set, Pa."

Ben whistled to the horses and they headed back to the Greene's. Hoss watched the armadillo until they were out of sight of the woods. Tess and Maggie were waiting on the porch when they returned. "I take it your mission was a success?" Maggie asked.

"Very much so, "Ben replied.

"Lunch will be ready soon, "Maggie said. "Won't you stay?"

Hoss spoke up before anyone else had a chance to. "We'll stay, Mrs. Greene."

The other's laughed. "I guess we'll stay, "Ben agreed. "Armadillo hunting gives a man an appetite."

"Hoss must go armadillo hunting everyday before supper, then!" Little Joe said with smile.

Hoss rubbed Little Joe's head. "Why you little..."

Ben eyed his middle son. "Be careful now, Hoss, "He said. Everyone laughed as they went inside for lunch.