The Magical Time

By Marion

 

The Ponderosa and the Cartwrights are not mine (except for Annie, of course) Thank you to Mr. Dortort for allowing me to play on the Ponderosa for a little while. This story is purely for entertainment and is not intended to infringe on the rights of anyone else involved with Bonanza and Ponderosa.

As always, thanks to Nancy for her beta-reading. A good beta reader will tell you what you've done right, but a great beta reader will tell you what you've done wrong…

[Author's Note: For you historical accuracy buffs out there – I need you to simply accept that the visitors to the Ponderosa were able to get over the Sierra Mountains in December…]

 

December has always been a magical time for me. When Papa was alive, December was our most special month. My birthday would begin the month, and then we celebrated Papa's, and then our Lord's. Now that I am on the Ponderosa, December is still a wondrous month. My uncle and cousins make a fuss for my birthday, and although we do not celebrate it, Uncle Ben and I always mark Papa's birthday in some fashion. Christmas has become even more special, for we celebrate it with the customs of my cousins' mothers, and of my own parents, and we know that those who have left us are not truly gone from our lives.

This past December, when I turned fifteen, however, was unlike any December I had experienced before, or expect to experience again. This Christmas we received three unexpected visitors. Although not the wise men of the Bible, their presence reminded us all, and me especially, that the true meaning of Christmas is love, and forgiveness and family.

Oddly enough, it all started with the day I was arrested for stealing a horse. Adam and I had gone to Eagle Station for supplies. Joe was confined to the house for trouble in school, and Hoss was sparking Tess. Adam had errands to run, and so told me I could visit with my friend Kate when we saw she was also in town with her brother and father.

Kate and I were walking along the sidewalks when we saw Tex and Kier standing by their father's blacksmith shop. They were looking at a horse tied to the rail. I had never seen such a horse, and they were happy to tell us about it. It was a new horse; their father had just purchased it, perhaps for Ro, perhaps for one of them (I do believe that last was a fiction.) The horse was, proclaimed Tex proudly, a quarter horse.

Kate hooted loudly. "That horse must be for you, then. I couldn't see your Pa giving you a whole horse!"

Well, that riled Tex to no end, and he started stomping and sputtering. Finally he blurted out that this horse was the fastest we'd ever seen and he'd prove it.

I knew that Jove could run circles around any horse in the area, and said as much to Tex. He challenged me to prove it, but I am forbidden to ride Jove, and would not relish the consequences. I demurred.

Kate laughed at Tex. "My brother's horse is the fastest around. I'll prove it, because the horse is here in town."

I plucked at her sleeve. "Kate, I don't think your brother's going to let you race his horse." Kate's brother, Chris, was notoriously fussy about how he treated that horse. She once said he'd tried to convince her father that the horse should sleep in the house.

She wouldn't listen, and nothing would do but that she went to fetch Chris's horse. She climbed up and held out her hand to me.

"I'll weigh you down."

"Nope, I'm gonna prove how fast this horse is. He'll win this race carrying us both!"

Shrugging, I grabbed her hand and she hauled me up behind her. Tex, with a quick glance to make sure no one was looking, pulled himself onto the quarter horse. Not to be outdone by a girl, especially not by a girl he wanted to impress, he held out his hand to Kier.

Tex turned to us. "Care to put some money on this race?" I most certainly did not. Gambling was as forbidden as riding Jove, and the consequences equally severe. Kate shook her head, saying she had no money.

We quickly decided on a finish line a short distance out of town.

The race was glorious. Chris's horse ran like the wind and we beat the quarter horse by half a length. We slipped off the horse's back and were busy congratulating each other when I looked at Chris's horse.

"Kate?"

"Yup?"

"I thought Chris's horse had a white forelock."

"Yup." She looked where I was pointing and went pale. This horse's forelock was dark brown. Glory, this wasn't her brother's horse!

We turned as one at the sound of hoofbeats. Tex and Kier took one look at the sheriff and hightailed it out of there. Kate and I stood, frozen.

Sheriff Coffee dismounted right in front of us. "Would you girls like to explain what happened here?"

We couldn't move, we couldn't speak. He frowned.

"Looks to me like you two girls stole this horse."

We gulped as one. I glanced over at Kate, waiting for her to explain. Her mouth just hung open.

"I think I'd best take you two back to the jail 'til your pa and your uncle can come get you. C'mon."

The sheriff led us back to town, and then he led us into the jail cell. He actually closed the door behind us. He turned to go back to his office, then turned back.

"You know, we usually hang horse thieves."

I found my voice then. "Sheriff, I expect you'd be doing me a favor if you did that, before my uncle gets here."

We tried to explain about the horse, and the sheriff just rolled his eyes. I told the sheriff that I was in town with Adam, and Kate told him that her father and her brother were at the livery. He left the cell and I could hear him telling someone to go find Kate's pa and then find Adam. Kate's pa came in a few minutes later to fetch her. By the look on his face, and the way he gripped her arm, I could tell she was in for trouble when she got home. Shortly after they left, I could hear Adam speaking, although I couldn't understand his words. I did hear the sheriff insist that Adam had to get Uncle Ben.

And so I waited. I figured it would be at least two hours before Uncle Ben came to town. Glory, he was going to kill me! Not only did I get in trouble, but he had to stop whatever work he was doing to fetch me. I sat on the bench and looked at the iron bars that surrounded me. I wondered if any Cartwright had ever been in jail. My cousins have been in trouble before, but I was certain that Uncle Ben never had to retrieve them from jail! I huddled in the corner, and drew my legs up, resting my arms on my knees. I buried my face in my arms and tried to think of nothing.

After an eternity, I could hear footsteps in the sheriff's office, and then my uncle's deep voice speaking softly. The sound of the footsteps came closer, and I scrambled to stand as my uncle and Sheriff Coffee came through the office door and stood in front of the cell. My uncle reached over and yanked open the door. I found myself wishing that it had been locked. His eyes were narrowed, his jaw was grinding to the right, the vein in his forehead was throbbing and, most ominously, his thumbs were hooked into his belt. I was right; hanging would have been more pleasant.

Uncle Ben stepped to the side and gestured for me to leave. He thanked the sheriff and followed me out the door to where Buck was tied, his hand on my back practically pushing me along. He mounted, reached down and swung me behind him. I rode home with my face buried in his coat. His back was rigid, and he never said a word to me. I tried not to cry, but I kept thinking about what he would do when we got home. It had been many months since Uncle Ben had felt the need to punish me physically, but I knew my luck was going to end this afternoon.

When we rode into the yard, Adam, Hoss and Joe were all standing by the door of the barn, staring at me. Uncle Ben handed the reins to Hoss and walked to the house, with me close behind him. He held the door open for me, and I scurried past him, taking care to face him the whole time. I went straight to my room and he followed me, closing the door behind him. He still said nothing.

I stood, withering under his glare, until he nodded slightly. "I would like to hear your explanation."

I rubbed my hands on my dress. "Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." Why I was thanking him I had no idea, but I was so nervous, I was surprised that I could speak at all. I started to explain what had happened, and as I told him about the forelock, I could see his lips begin to twitch. He turned quickly and I saw his shoulders start to shake. I was afraid that he was so angry that he was having apoplexy. Concerned, I stepped forward and was about to ask him if he was all right, when I heard him start to laugh! Of all the reactions I had expected, laughter was definitely not one of them.

Finally he turned, wiping tears from his eyes. He was shaking his head. "Only you and Kate. That could only happen to you and Kate."

I stared at him, my mouth open wide in shock. I was expecting a tanning, and he was laughing? Would he still tan me even if he were laughing?

He finally stopped and tried to look stern. "I think you need a break from riding for a week."

I swallowed hard. "A whole week?" I knew he didn't think I needed a break. The week of no riding was my punishment for racing in town.

Uncle Ben's only response was a raised eyebrow, which was as good as saying that he would make it longer if I argued. Grateful that the punishment hadn't been worse, I just nodded.

"Yes, sir, no riding for one week."

My cousins couldn't believe it when I sat to supper without a pillow. I thought I heard Adam say something about if his father had had to retrieve him from jail, but then Uncle Ben cleared his throat and Adam stopped muttering.

I awoke early the next morning. The day was December 20th, and it would have been my father's 42d birthday. I always feel his loss most keenly in December, for, as I said before, of all months of the year, it was ours, Papa's and mine.

The house was quiet, even Hop Sing slept. The sun had not begun its ascent and I sat in the dark, enjoying the rare silence. I had been drawn to my father's desk as though by some mysterious power; sitting there made me feel close to my father, for he had loved this desk as much as he had loved any thing. Solid and sturdy, it reminded me of him, and I was glad my uncle had chosen to bring it to Utah Territory.

Funny, but I thought of Papa on days like that Saturday, when I wonder would Papa have laughed, or would he have bent me over his desk, as he had more than once. He was so much like Uncle Ben that I knew the answer. Papa had a quicker temper than Uncle Ben, although Uncle Ben exacted stricter punishments. But Papa would have reacted as my uncle did that day. And I would have been just as surprised to hear him laugh!

I looked up at the sudden light in the room. Uncle Ben stood beside the desk, candle in his hand.

"You're up early." He reached out to touch the desk, running his hand over the smooth top.

"I…I needed to sit here a minute." I was embarrassed, so I stared at the desk, but I felt his hand on my shoulder, comforting me. He knew what the day was. "Uncle Ben, I know I'm not supposed to ride, but I'd like to go to the lake, please?"

"Are you sure you want to be alone?" He sat on his heels so he could look me in the eye. "I'll go with you if you like."

I shook my head. "No, sir." I didn't know how to explain it, but I just needed to visit by myself. "Please? I won't be gone long."

He stood again and kissed me softly. "The minister is still out of town, so there are no services today. You may go after you finish morning chores."

I was almost finished saddling Sadie when Joe came into the barn. He whistled softly.

"Annie, if Pa sees you riding when you're restricted, you'll get a tanning for sure."

I tightened the cinch and looked up. "He knows. He said I could."

Joe threw his hands in the air. "That's not fair. Pa's got to fetch you from jail because you were doin' somethin' you weren't supposed ta do, and not only do you not get a tanning, but you get to go riding when he said you couldn't!"

I had started to lead Sadie from her stall, but I stopped to look at Joe. "I'm going to the lake." Joe just rolled his eyes. "Today's my father's birthday."

If there is one thing my cousins understand all too well, it is the sadness of a deceased parent's birthday. Joe's expression changed instantly, and he came to stand beside me. He rested his hand lightly on my arm. "Are you sure you want to go alone? I'll go with you if you like."

"I know, Joe, and thank you, but I think I'd like to be alone." Joe nodded and stepped aside to let me leave.

I visited by the lake for a while. Of course Papa and Mama weren't really there, but Uncle Ben and Uncle John had made them a gravestone so that I could visit when I needed to. I told Papa everything that had happened recently, about how Uncle Ben was finally allowing Mitch to speak with me again, about the fiasco yesterday, about how I didn't forget his birthday. I sat in silence for a while, listening to the clacking of the bare tree branches blowing against each other. Finally it was time to go home before Uncle Ben came looking for me. I did not want him to think I was taking advantage of his generosity.

I rode into the yard, feeling at peace. I was surprised to see three strange horses tied up by the porch, but that was nothing compared to the surprise that awaited me on the porch. I almost flung myself from Sadie's saddle.

I raced up the steps and threw myself into the arms of the man standing next to Uncle Ben.

"Uncle John! Uncle John!"

"Annie, my love." He laughed and twirled me about before setting me gently on my feet. He stepped aside so I could see who was behind him.

I ran from one uncle to the other. My Uncle Pat hugged me tight to him and then held me out, so he could look at me, I suppose, for I saw his eyes move from my head to my feet.

"Oh, Annie. Sure and you've grown." He put his arm about my shoulder and we turned to the door. I looked from Uncle Pat to the man standing in the doorway. My mother's miniature flashed in my mind, and I saw her eyes looking at me from the scarred face of a light haired man as tall as my Uncle Ben. I looked over my shoulder to see Uncle Ben behind me, and he nodded, smiling slightly. Uncle Pat bent toward me.

"Annie, this is your…"

I stepped to the tall man and wrapped my arms around my mother's oldest brother. "Uncle Seamus."

 

We sat by the fireplace. I was on the sofa, with Uncle John on one side and Uncle Pat on the other. Uncle Seamus sat on the chair to my right, Uncle Ben on the chair to my left. Adam and Hoss had dragged over chairs from the table, and Joe sat on the floor.

Uncle John was telling how he had met Uncle Seamus. "He signed on when we were in port in Van Dieman's Land. I didn't take much notice of him for several days, until we were standing watch together. I introduced myself and he gave me a funny look. 'Cartwright? My sister married a Cartwright.' Well, Cartwright's not an uncommon name, so I shrugged. But Seamus continued. 'Sailor, like yourself. Dark-haired like yourself, too.' 'All right,' said I. 'What's this Cartwright called?' Well, when Seamus ever said 'his name was Edward' I thought I was going to choke. 'Your sister was Kathleen?' So we talked more, and I told him about the Ponderosa, and about you, Annie." Uncle John reached out to ruffle my hair. "I even told him that Ben had written to me about Padraig. So, when the Captain decided he was going to winter in San Francisco, Seamus and I decided we would try to get over the mountains. We were riding through Hangtown and we bumped into Pat. So, here we are."

I could tell by Uncle John's voice that there was more to the story, but I was so busy staring at my mother's oldest brother, that I didn't bother to ask. Uncle Seamus was tall, and fair-haired, but his face was covered with terrible scars. He didn't smile, and the only words I had heard from him was when I had hugged him. "Annie, a stor mo chroi" he had called me. He must have felt me staring, for he turned and smiled at me. I think it was the saddest smile I had ever seen.

Hop Sing called us to lunch then, and we all crowded around the table. My cousins joked with each other, and with Uncle John, but I was silent. I couldn't believe the good fortune of having all my uncles here. My day, which had started out being so filled with melancholy, was turning into the most wonderful day. My entire family was seated at the table, and I have to confess, I thought I was going to cry with joy.

"Annie, sweetheart?" Uncle John's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Yes, Uncle John?"

"I just said the boys and I were going to go riding after lunch. Do you want to join us?"

I bit my lip and glanced at Uncle Ben. He shook his head slightly, and I sighed. "No, sir, I can't."

Uncle John hadn't missed the look between Uncle Ben and me. He frowned at his brother. "What's this, then?"

Uncle Ben pursed his lips slightly, no doubt trying to decide how to tell this story. Joe snickered.

"I had to retrieve Annie from jail yesterday, John."

I thought Uncle John was going to spit out his coffee. My other uncles just stared at Uncle Ben, and then looked at me. I squirmed uncomfortably.

"How's that, Ben? Where was she?"

"You heard me. Annie spent yesterday afternoon in jail." Uncle Ben explained the story to him. I blushed when he mentioned my punishment and I waited to hear what Uncle John had to say. I knew from experience that he wouldn't hesitate to chastise me if he thought I needed it. But he didn’t say anything to me, and neither did my other uncles. In fact, I thought that Uncle Pat looked amused. Uncle Seamus had no expression at all.

Finally Uncle John shook his head. "But she came riding into the yard earlier."

Uncle Ben looked a little sad. "It's the twentieth, John."

"Oh." Uncle John nodded. "I'd lost track of my days." He stared into space for a bit.

"What's the twentieth, then?" Uncle Pat leaned forward.

"Ed's birthday." Uncle John reached out to hold my hand.

Uncle Seamus spoke for the first time since we came inside. "Your father was a good man, Annie. I was proud to claim him as a brother." He raised his water glass as though to toast my father.

Uncle Pat raised his glass as well. "Aye, he was a good man." My father's brothers also raised their glasses, and I had to fight my tears.

Uncle John and my cousins went for their ride. Uncle Pat said he'd seen enough of horses for a long time, thank you very much, and he wanted a nap. I made up their beds in the bunkhouse while Uncle Ben helped Uncle Pat and Uncle Seamus bring wood and kindling to start a fire. My three uncles would be sleeping in the bunkhouse, which we had built last year. The vaqueros would not be back until next spring, so for once we had plenty of beds for our guests.

Uncle Pat took his nap, and I sat by the fireplace working on my mending. Uncle Seamus settled in the chair beside me and neither of us spoke for a long while. Finally I could stand the silence no longer.

"I'm glad you're here, Uncle Seamus."

He looked surprised. "Are you now? And why is that?" His voice was scratchy, as though he didn't speak often.

I was taken aback by the question. I should have thought the answer was obvious. "Because I am happy to meet my mother's older brother, of course."

He nodded. After a few minutes, he spoke again. "She was a good woman, your mam was. A bit bossy, as sisters tend to be, but kind. You've her look, you know."

I had always been told that I favored my father, and I said as much to Uncle Seamus.

"Aye, I can see that, too. But you've her eyes, and her spirit, if that story about the race is true."

I blushed. "It is." I hesitated. "Can you tell me about her?"

He frowned. "Did your da not say anything? Or Paddy, when he was here last?"

"Yes, sir, but I'd like to hear more." I glanced at him, feeling shy all of a sudden. "If you don't mind, that is."

He smiled that sad smile again. "No, Annie mo chroi, I don't mind. Let me think a minute for a story, though."

He spent the next hour telling me about my mother as only an older brother could. I heard about the trouble she would get into, and how he often took the blame. He told me about the boys who tried to court her, and how they had to get past my grandfather to even speak with her. My favorite stories were about her trying to rescue all the stray animals that wandered near the house. I could not help but think of my cousin, Hoss, and my Uncle Ben when Uncle Seamus told me how exasperated my grandfather would get with Mama.

Our quiet time was interrupted by Uncle Ben's return. He had taken Hop Sing to town, where our friend would spend the next few days until after Christmas. We had wanted Hop Sing to stay with us, but he felt as though he was intruding on a family time, and no argument to the contrary would sway him. He was going to visit with one of his cousins who had settled in Eagle Station.

Uncle Ben's arrival made me realize it was time to get supper going. With Hop Sing gone, and extra mouths to feed, it seemed like I was going to spend my entire vacation cooking and cleaning. Still, it was a small price to pay to have all my uncles together. Uncle Seamus went to rouse Uncle Pat; the two of them would help Uncle Ben with the chores.

I had just drained the pot of potatoes when I heard the door open. I figured it was my cousins coming in from their ride, so without looking up, I hollered "you'd better wipe your feet before you come in, or I'll…"

"Sure, would you listen to that harpy! And what would you be doing?" I almost dropped the pot as I realized that was Uncle Pat talking.

"Aye. She's her mother's sharp tongue, to be sure." I couldn't tell if Uncle Seamus was annoyed or amused, and I didn't care to turn to find out.

"Indeed? And what would your father do, if Kathleen talked to him like that?" Uncle Ben was definitely annoyed. We've had many conversations about my "tone" as he calls it.

I finally looked up as I heard Uncle Seamus laugh. It was the first time I had heard him laugh, and this time his smile wasn't so sad.

"I'm sorry, Benjamin, it's not helping you to know. Da would laugh, and then scold as he told her to get him a glass of the stuff. Then he would give her a smack and tell her she'd inherited her mother's quick tongue." He grinned.

Uncle Pat was nodding. "Aye, but if he said it when Mam was around, herself'd go after him, and then we'd three leave until the two were done, um, arguing." Uncle Pat grinned slightly.

Uncle Seamus slapped his arm. "Arguin'? Is that what you call it?"

I started to blush as I took their meaning. Uncle Ben just shook his head. I was glad he didn't say anything to them, though. I wouldn't want to spoil Uncle Seamus's good mood for anything.

I had turned back to the potatoes when Uncle Pat came and wrapped his arm around my waist as he rested his chin on my shoulder. "Annie, my sweet, have you any potcheen for your poor, tired uncle?"

The door opened before I could answer, and Uncle John and Adam stomped in.

"I don't know what potcheen is, Uncle Pat."

He looked surprised. "Potcheen, you know, craythur? The stuff?" I shook my head and looked over to Uncle Ben, who shook his head.

Uncle John shrugged off his coat. "He's looking for whiskey, Annie. Pat, I think you'd do better to ask Ben if he has some. If he's like Father, he doesn't leave it where his sons – or his niece - can find it."

Uncle Ben stood and walked to the hutch. "My sons know better, John." He pulled out the bottle and turned back to Uncle John. "Even if my older brother did not."

Uncle John shook his head. "Oh, no, Benji, you'll not pin that one on me. That little incident was Eddie's fault."

My ears perked up at the thought of a story about my father. Uncle Ben poured several glasses and passed them to my uncles, although Uncle Seamus declined to take one. Uncle Ben even gave one to Adam just as Hoss and Joe came in.

"What's goin' on?" Joe dropped his coat on the floor and stomped the snow off his boots.

I threw a rag at him. "Uncle John is going to tell us a story about my father."

"I am?" Uncle John settled on the sofa. "I don't think I recall making such a promise, young lady."

Uncle Seamus nodded. "Oh, I think I might have heard that, too. Annie, mo chroi, would you pour an old man a glass of water, please?" He hurried to my worktable.

I rolled my eyes, set down the potato pot and poured his water. That wasn't the first time he called me Annie mo chroi. I was going to have to ask him what it meant, but not tonight.

"Here you are, Uncle Seamus." He took the glass, and reached into the pot to grab a piece of potato. I shooed him away with my spoon.

By the time Uncle Seamus sat, and Hoss and Joe arranged themselves on the floor in front of the fireplace, Uncle John finished his glass and held it out for a refill.

"All right, seeing as I promised to tell this story…" Uncle John took a sip and looked at Uncle Ben. "Let's see, Ben. I think it was the winter after we met the Captain for the first time." He turned to look at my uncles. "That's Abel Stoddard. He was our first, and in Ben's case only, captain. Adam's grandfather." Turning back to Uncle Ben, he continued. "It was shortly before Christmas, wasn't it? That means Eddie was just turning 10, so you were almost 12, and I was 14. Old enough to know better, as Father said.

"Ed had noticed that Father would pour himself a drink from a decanter some evenings before supper. Ed was always curious, but when he asked Father, all Father would say was to stay away from the decanter. One day, when Mother was out shopping and Father was at work, Ed decided he was going to try the drink. But it wasn't enough for him to disobey Father, he had to get us involved."

Joe interrupted. "Pa always says that no one can make you get into trouble."

Uncle John looked at Joe. "Does he now?" I could see Uncle Ben wince as though in pain. "Funny, that's not what he told Father when we got caught.

"We all three had a drink of the whiskey, which we found out later was the name of the liquid. We figured that Father wouldn't notice just three small glasses missing, but then Ben, who was pouring, fancied he heard a noise and he ended up spilling half the bottle. We quick mopped it up so that no one would know, but the bottle looked almost empty. There was no way to hide this from Father, and I said as much to Ed and Ben. Finally, Ed came up with the idea to pour water into the decanter. It wasn't clear, after all, so Father would never notice if the liquid wasn't as dark as it had been before. I told Ben that I'd do the pouring, seeing as I couldn't trust him to not make a mess of it. We got everything cleaned up just before Mother returned from her errands.

"Well, we thought we had gotten away with something, so we were feeling good over the next few days. The Sunday before Christmas we were surprised to find that Uncle John and Captain Stoddard were visiting. Of course, we weren't invited to join the adults in the parlor, but that didn't stop us from eavesdropping at the parlor door."

Four sets of eyes turned to Uncle Ben, who was covering his own while shaking his head. Eavesdropping was absolutely forbidden in our house, and it was a treat to hear that Uncle Ben had committed such a crime as a boy.

Uncle John hid a smile. "We could hear the clinking of the glasses and we knew that Father was pouring drinks for his guests. I think we all held our breaths. Then we heard Uncle John's voice of doom. 'Joseph, I hope you didn't pay much for this whiskey. Whoever you got it from is watering it down.' Father didn't say anything for several seconds and when he did, his voice sounded strange. 'You gave it to me, sir, when I fetched the boys this summer.'

"There was silence for a few minutes, and then we heard footsteps approaching the door. Before we could scramble up the stairs to our room, the door flew open and there was Father towering over us."

Adam chuckled. "What did Grandfather do, Uncle John?"

Uncle John raised an eyebrow. "What you would expect him to do, Adam. We had disobeyed him and then we had tried to deceive him by watering down the whiskey."

Uncle Pat hooted. "I knew that Ed was a troublemaker! Da woulda taken stripes from our hides, let me tell you!"

Uncle Seamus nodded. "But the thrashin' woulda been as much for the wastin' of good whiskey as it was for the deceit and disobedience!"

I called everyone to the table, then, for supper was ready. Everyone ate so heartily that I was concerned there wouldn't be enough food, but my worry was for naught. There were no leftovers, but no one complained of being hungry still.

Uncle John insisted on helping me with the dishes, and when we were done, the whole family sat by the fire and listened to Uncle John's stories of sailing. He had signed on a merchant ship and they were on the way to the Orient when Uncle Seamus came aboard. He was going to tell us about China when Uncle Ben interrupted.

"It's time for Annie and Joe to go to bed." He shook his head when we both groaned.

"Pa, we don't have school tomorrow, please can't we stay up later?" Our teacher, Mr. Taylor, was ill with a cough and had cancelled school. Normally Mrs. Taylor would have stepped in as substitute, but she was expecting their first child in a month or so, and the doctor had recommended that she not over-exert herself.

Joe's arguments only served to vex Uncle Ben and I, knowing that I had already used Uncle Ben's clemency during the horse race, dutifully stood and said goodnight.

I had just crawled into bed and said my prayers when I heard a soft knock on the door, followed by my Uncle Seamus poking his head in the room. "May I come in?"

I waved him toward me and he stood beside the bed. I noticed him staring at the wall, and I followed his gaze to my grandmother's rosary, which I had hung beside my bed.

"Mam's beads." Uncle Seamus's voice was soft and almost reverential. "She'd be pleased to see them hanging this way. They were the most important thing she owned, you know." He reached out to touch them. "She caught Katie struttin' about once, wearin' them as a necklace. I thought her shoutin' would raise the roof." He sighed as they fell back in place. "It's a wonder that they aren't worn out, with all the prayin' she did over me."

Finally he looked down at me. "I just came to say goodnight, Annie, mo chroi, and to let you know that I'm glad to be here, and to meet my sister's only child." He leaned over and kissed me on the head.

"Goodnight, Uncle Seamus."

I was not the first one awake the next morning. Adam was already up and he had made the coffee. He looked relieved to see me, and beckoned me to sit beside him at the table.

"Annie, I've been thinking about presents." He spoke in a conspiratorial whisper. "I believe the picture fellow is still in town. I was thinking of going to get an extra of the portraits, to give to Uncle John from all of us."

A week or so prior, a man came to town advertising daguerreotypes. Adam investigated, and found that he was not taking daguerreotypes, but instead had a new method of taking pictures, one that allowed for multiple copies. Adam called it a glass negative, and the pictures were made from those. Adam was very impressed with what he had seen, and so we decided to get our pictures taken as a gift to Uncle Ben. Adam and Hoss had met Joe and me after school and we went to the fellow's "studio" set up in a tent. It had been an uncomfortable process, each of us held immobile for the time it took, but the end result had been a picture of all of us together, and then pictures of each of us separately. The real trick had been to keep Uncle Ben out of town so that he wouldn't know about the man, for we knew he would want us all to have a picture done. So far, except for the trip to jail to collect me, we had been successful.

I nodded. "I think that would make a good present, Adam. Maybe I could get copies of my picture, for Uncle Seamus and Uncle Pat." I thought for a minute and sighed. "But I don't have any money, except for what's in the bank, and I'd need Uncle Ben's permission to use that."

Adam didn't even hesitate. "I'll lend you the money, Annie. I know you'll repay me. Now if you were Joe…."

I thought a minute about how long it would take for me to pay Adam back, and then I agreed. It would mean several weeks without my allowance, but I knew my uncles would appreciate the gift. We finished our plans just as everyone else began to wake up.

Adam left after breakfast. Uncle Pat asked me to go for a ride with him, but I had to decline, as I was still restricted. Uncle Pat even tried to cajole Uncle Ben into changing his mind but to no avail. Finally Uncle Pat settled for sitting beside me as I began cooking our noon and evening meals.

I found myself wishing that Hop Sing had decided to stay behind. Cooking for seven men (men, hah – six men and a boy!) was not easy work, especially when most of them would spend their day outside working. I was glad for Uncle Pat's company, as it made my morning speed along.

I asked him how his gold mining was faring, and he laughed.

"Sure, and I found a little gold, but it's me and most of the world having a try at it. I am thinking it's time I gave up, but I'm not sure what to do with myself."

I looked at him from the corner of my eye, whilst pretending to mix a cake. "You could stay here. I know Uncle Ben's told you that before."

He shook his head. "And I've said I'll not be beholden to another landlord, even one as fair as you. No, I'm thinkin' that I might be headin' east, to work on the railroad, or maybe I'll join Seamus and John on that ship."

"The railroad's dangerous, Uncle Pat. So's sailing. You could all stay here with us."

Uncle Pat's laugh shook the house. "Sure, and I can see John takin' orders from his brother, or me ridin' around chasin' a bunch of cows."

"Cattle." I corrected him automatically. I was glad my uncle wasn't here – how many times had he corrected me!

"Cows, cattle, things you eat. Whatever they're called, I don't see me doin' it. I'm not a rancher anymore than Seamus and John are."

I poured the batter into the cake pan all the while struggling to not cry. For one brief moment, I had envisioned my life with all four uncles living nearby, and I had liked what I had seen. I scrapped the last of the batter into the pan and turned to place it in the oven. By the time I had closed the door and spun around, Uncle Pat was standing beside me. He lifted my chin.

"Here now, what's this about? I'll not have you crying, Annie, sweetheart, not now." He brushed the tears away. "I've only just got here, don't be thinkin' about the leaving."

I shrugged. "It's just, well, it would be nice if you stayed."

"Would it now? Or would you be finding that your old uncles aren't the men you thought they were." He hugged me quickly and then let me go. "I'd best be doing my share of the work or Ben'll be chargin' me for the food you're cooking."

The idea of Uncle Ben charging a guest for a meal was so preposterous that I had to laugh. Uncle Pat winked and, after grabbing his coat, headed out the door.

The rest of the morning went by quickly, and I barely had lunch on the table before everyone came back to eat. Adam must have met them wherever they were working, for he came in with them. Everyone hurried through the meal, even Joe. I thought he was looking a little full of himself because he was working along side the men, but, anxious to stay on Uncle Ben's good side, I held my tongue. They left as quickly as they came, leaving me with the dishes and no leftovers.

I spent the afternoon alone, baking, cooking a roast for supper and sewing. I had gone into the bunkhouse and retrieved all of my uncle's clothes and washed them that morning, hanging them in front of the fireplace to dry. Now I needed to mend everything. I was hoping they would stay long enough for me to make them some new shirts. I wasn't good at making pants, and Uncle Ben and my cousins bought theirs at the trading post, but I was good at making shirts.

I heard everyone ride in as the light began to fade. Uncle Ben had excused me from outside chores because I had to do all the cooking and cleaning. I was glad, for I didn't want to go outside in the cold. However, I knew everyone else would be cold to the bone, so I put up a pot of coffee and started heating some milk for cocoa.

I thought everyone would be exhausted after working all day, but my cousins were so boisterous that my uncle had to speak to Adam and Joe twice. Even Hoss received a reprimand.

Adam and Joe did the dishes for me, and when they were done, we all gathered around the fireplace. Adam brought out his guitar, Uncle Ben had his fiddle and I had my penny whistle. Uncle Seamus raised an eyebrow at that, but he said nothing. Uncle John surprised us all by bringing out a concertina.

After we had played for a half hour or so, Uncle Pat borrowed my whistle, which was really his, of course, and started to play a lively tune that I recognized.

"I know that song!" Without thinking, I began to sing along.

"There were three young gypsies came to our hall door,

They came brave and boldly O.

And there's one sang high and the other sang low

And the Lady's seen the raggle-taggle gypsy O

It was upstairs and downstairs the Lady went

Put on her suit of leather, O

It was the cry all around her door

She's away with the raggle-taggle gypsy O

It was late last night that the lord came in,

Inquiring for his a-lady O

The serving girls replied to him all

She's away with the raggle-taggle gypsy O."

I realized my mistake as soon as I saw Uncle Ben's face. This was one of the songs that Kate had taught me that I didn't think Uncle Ben would appreciate. I couldn’t tell if he were upset or just surprised, but fortunately Uncle Seamus saved me by joining in the next verse.

"O then saddle for me me milk-white steed

Me big horse is not speedy O

I will ride and I'll seek my bride,

She's away with the raggle-taggle gypsy O.

O then he rode east, and he rode west

He rode north and south also,

But when he rode to the wide open field,

It was there that he spied his a-lady O.

O then why do you leave your house and your land?

Why do you leave you money, O?

And why do you leave your only-wedded lord,

All for a raggle-taggle gypsy O?

What do I care for me house and me land?

What do I care for money,O?

And what do I care for me only-wedded lord,

I'm away with the raggle-taggle gypsy O!

Well it was there last night you'd a goosefeather bed,

With blankets drawn so comely, O.

Tonight you'll lie in a wide open field,

In the arms of your raggle-taggle gypsy, O.

What do I care for a goose-feather bed,

With blankets drawn so comely, O?

Tonight I'll lie in a wide open field,

In the arms of me raggle-taggle gypsy, O.

Often you rode east when I rode west

You rode high when I rode low

I'd rather have a kiss of the yellow gypsy's lips

Than all of the cashier's money, O"

Fortunately, Uncle Ben said nothing about the lyrics being unseemly for a young girl to sing. He simply started to play some Christmas music, and we all joined in playing or singing.

Finally he shooed Joe and me to bed. I was so tired that I was asleep before Uncle Ben came to say goodnight.

The next day passed much the same. I found that keeping house occupied most of my day, and what little time I had to sit, I stayed in the company of one uncle or another.

The morning of the 23rd dawned cold. The house was so cold that I needed to keep a shawl on, and I noticed everyone kept their hands wrapped tightly around their mugs of coffee. Uncle Ben had stepped outside, and I had just finished the breakfast dishes when someone knocked at the door. Uncle John was closest, and I could hear him open it.

"Good morning, Mitch, isn't it?"

Oh glory! Mitch was here and I looked a mess. I struggled out of my shawl and my apron, quickly smoothed my hair, and brushed the dirt off my dress. I glanced at Uncle Pat, and saw him nudge Uncle Seamus to watch me. They both grinned.

"Uh, yes, sir. I was, um, hoping to see Mr. Cartwright." I could hear Mitch's surprise in his voice.

"Come in. It's too cold to keep the door open. I would guess that I am not the Mr. Cartwright you came to see?"

I glanced over at Mitch, then. He looked confused.

"No, sir, you're not." He turned scarlet. "I mean, not that I'm not pleased to see you, of course, Mr. Cartwright. Just…surprised, that's all. I didn't know you were coming for a visit."

"No one knew, Mitch." Uncle John put his hand behind Mitch's back and directed him toward the sofa. "My brother will be back in a minute."

Mitch caught sight of Uncle Pat, and swallowed nervously. "Mr. McLaughlin, a pleasure to see you again, sir."

I was standing near enough to Adam to hear him mutter 'liar." I swatted my oldest cousin with my dishrag.

Uncle Pat held out his hand and Mitch shook it. "Sure, Mitch, and I've been telling my brother Seamus all about you." Uncle Seamus stood on cue, and Uncle Pat turned toward him. "Seamus, this is Mitch Devlin, the lad I've been telling you about, the one courting our young niece. Mitch, this is my older brother, Annie's Uncle Seamus."

I wanted to die of embarrassment. My three uncles were enjoying themselves far too much for my liking.

Uncle Seamus held out his hand, and Mitch shook that, too. "I'm glad to meet you, lad. I've heard quite a bit about you from Paddy and from John."

Mitch bowed slightly and he tried to smile. "Ah, yes, sir. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir."

Hoss and Adam were struggling to hide their grins, and Joe was just rolling his eyes. I decided it was time to rescue Mitch.

"Hello, Mitch." I stepped toward him.

The look on his face was comical. "Hey, Annie."

"You'll not be kissing her while we're watching, lad." Uncle Pat sounded serious, but his teasing made me want to crawl under the rug.

Mitch's eyes went wide and he shook his head. "Uh, no sir. No."

I was starting to lose my temper, so I suppose it was a good thing that Uncle Ben came in. I had never thought I would see Mitch look relieved to see Uncle Ben, but my beau looked as though he was being rescued from a band of marauding Bannock Indians.

"Mr. Cartwright, I'm glad to see you." Mitch's sigh was audible.

Uncle Ben glanced at my other uncles. "Yes, I'm sure you are, Mitch." He gestured toward the corner of the room. "Did you need to speak with me?"

Mitch followed Uncle Ben and the two spoke quietly for a minute. I saw Mitch smile, and then he headed back toward me.

"Annie, would you like to go to the Christmas Dance tonight with me?" He kept his voice low, so no one else could hear. "Well, I mean, when we get to the dance, would you like to go with me?"

We both knew there was no way Uncle Ben would allow Mitch and I to go to the dance alone. But, being at the dance with Mitch was the next best thing. I nodded. "Yes, I'd love to."

Mitch grinned, and touched my hand lightly. "Good. I'll see you there." He said good-bye to everyone and almost ran from the house.

I turned back to the stove as my Uncle Pat howled with laughter. "Would you look at her! Ready to skin the lot of us and throw our bones into the pot." He hurried to stand behind me. "Oh, Annie, love, 'twas only a bit of fun we were havin'."

I didn't trust myself to speak, and I knew the consequences of being disrespectful would probably involve staying home tonight, so I held my tongue.

Uncle Seamus chuckled. "Did you hear him with his yes sirs, no sirs. He was trippin' over himself with respect. Made me feel like the lord o' the manor, he did. Someone put the fear of God in him, to be sure."

Now it was Uncle John's turn. "Fear of Ben, more like." I turned back to see Uncle John thump Uncle Ben's back. "What did you do to the poor lad, Ben?"

Uncle Ben shrugged and I prayed he wouldn't tell what had happened a few months back. Not even my cousins knew why I hadn't been allowed to speak with Mitch. I knew I could trust Uncle Ben though. "Mitch is a respectful young man, that's all."

Uncle John hooted as he came to the stove to pour himself some more coffee. "Listen to him! You should know, Annie, that your Uncle Ben learned to intimidate young men from the master." I saw Uncle Ben wince as my cousins perked up. "Abel Stoddard knew how to turn Ben into a quivering mass of jelly."

Uncle Ben scowled. "I didn't see you standing up to the old man too much."

"Yes, but I wasn't sweet on the boss's daughter, was I?" Uncle John settled next to Adam. "Adam, when your father started courting your mother, Abel made his life miserable. I know you know about the time Abel caught them sneaking out to the burying ground." He turned to Uncle Ben. "What did you tell him? Oh yes, you wanted to show Liz the meteor shower." My mother's brothers howled with laughter while Uncle Ben looked like he wanted to crawl under the rug. My cousins, on the other hand, were silent, their mouths hanging open. "Adam, did he tell you we set sail the next day? I could tell by the way your father was walking that the Captain had already lit into him, but after we were underway, your grandfather hurried Ben into his cabin, and we could hear the dressing down all over the ship. My poor brother. All he heard the next few days was "oh, Benji" and kissing noises every time his back was turned."

Uncle Ben groaned aloud, and everyone else dissolved into laughter. Even Uncle Seamus had to wipe the tears from his eyes by the time he was done.

Finally Uncle John caught his breath, and he turned to Uncle Ben. "How is the old man? Do you hear from him much?"

Adam answered. "I had a letter from Grandfather a couple of months ago." The smiles disappeared instantly from Hoss's and Joe's faces, and I stifled a sigh. Adam had told us that his grandfather had offered to pay for college, and while we were happy that Adam would finally achieve his dream, we were all upset at the thought of him going away for the years it would take.

"Abel has asked Adam to come back to Boston and go to college." Somehow Uncle Ben managed to sound both proud and sad. "Adam will be submitting his application to Harvard in a couple of months."

Uncle John clapped Adam on the back. "Good lad!"

Adam looked embarrassed. "I'm not accepted yet. I'm only going to apply."

Uncle John shook his head. "You'll get in, and you'll graduate top of your class." He looked over at Uncle Ben. "Can you imagine what Father would have said?"

Uncle Ben nodded. "Undoubtedly he would have said 'it's about time.' He wanted you to go, but you insisted on the sea."

Uncle John scowled. "I hated school and he knew it. Besides, he could never have afforded to send me. No, it's Adam who'll do the family proud."

I could see Adam getting more embarrassed, so I turned to Uncle Pat. "How about you, Uncle Pat? Did you hate school like Uncle John?"

But it was Uncle Seamus who answered. "School wasn't for the like of us." The bitterness in his tone surprised me.

Uncle Pat interrupted. "We didn't go to school, Annie. Neither Seamus nor I can read or write. Your mam only knew because Ed taught her." He looked confused. "Surely you noticed that I had someone write the letters to you?"

Uncle Ben stood before I could reply. "Well, if we're to get the tree this morning, we have to get ready. Boys, go get the sled ready."

Uncle Pat and Uncle Seamus muttered something about needing to dress more warmly, and they headed to the bunkhouse. Uncle John decided he would help my cousins. I started to go to my room when Uncle Ben called me back.

"Annie, I was pleased to see you not rise to the bait when your uncles were teasing you about Mitch."

I ducked my head, embarrassed. "I want to go to the dance tonight, and I knew if I had been disrespectful, I'd be staying home." I peeked up at my uncle, only to see him grinning. He shooed me to my room, but when I reached the door, I turned again. "You did a good job of not rising to the bait, too - Benji!" I giggled and ran into my room as he pretended to chase after me.

By the time I had pulled on a second pair of wool stockings, and had put on my boots, Adam and Hoss had hitched one of the horses to the sled. The sled was Adam's invention, designed to haul wood during the winter or, more importantly, to bring home the tree. My cousins had been keeping a lookout for the perfect tree, and Hoss found it a few weeks ago. For once it wasn't too far from the house, so we decided to walk the entire way.

Uncle Seamus and Uncle Pat had never heard of Christmas trees, so I spent the first part of the walk explaining why we had one. Uncle Pat just shook his head.

"In Ireland, we would cut holly and hang that in the house. Katie was a good one for that. She'd go wandering off for hours and come home with baskets of the greens." The three of us were walking behind everyone else; Uncle Pat insisted on holding my hand as if I were a little girl.

"Do you remember, Paddy, the year she got lost?" Uncle Seamus pulled his coat closer around his chin to keep the wind out.

"Aye. That was a bad one." Uncle Pat nodded but didn't say anything more.

I tugged on his hand. "You aren't going to leave it at that, are you?" I couldn't hear enough stories about my mother.

Uncle Pat smiled slightly. "I guess I can't at that." He thought a minute. "Well, I'm guessing your mother was younger than you are now."

"She was not yet thirteen," Uncle Seamus corrected, sounding almost as know-it-all as Adam.

Uncle Pat rolled his eyes. "She was twelve, then. She told our mam that she was going to get the greens for the door. That was her first mistake – the telling, I mean, instead of asking. She skipped away before Mam could say no. So, she started her day with Mam angry with her. Now, I know you don't know your grandmother, but she was not someone you wanted angry with you, and that's the truth."

I heard Uncle Seamus make a noise, and I glanced at him. He shrugged. "I was only sayin' that Paddy would know."

"Hush. It's a story about Katie that I'm tellin', not me." Uncle Pat shook his head. "So Mam was in a black mood all morning, and when Da came in from his work, he wanted to know what was wrong. 'Oh, Annie,' I recall him saying. 'That's Katie for you. Always wantin' to be in the hills. She can do those chores in the afternoon.'"

I had forgotten that I was named for my mother's mother. Somehow that made me feel just a little closer to her.

Uncle Pat continued. "Well, your mother didn't come home for lunch, and Mam's mood got worse. Da had gone back to work, and as it grew later in the afternoon, nothing would do but that I had to go fetch him home. Now Da was angry, for he didn't get paid if he didn't work. It was getting dark, though, and both he and Mam were worried. He rounded up the lanterns, and sent Seamus and me out looking for her in town. He headed toward the hills, to see if she was there. We came back to the house shortly after the sunset, only to find that Katie had not come home. Da sent me to fetch more men, and he and our uncle Liam headed back into the hills. Seamus and I searched and searched, and when we couldn't find her, we headed back home once again. We weren't home for a few minutes when Da came in dragging a tearful Katie. He had found her in the hills where she wasn't supposed to be."

My uncles couldn't tell me enough stories about my mother. I always wanted to know more. "Why was she crying? Was she hurt?"

Uncle Pat just looked at me. "Let's just say Da had no patience for what she'd done."

Uncle Seamus laughed. "Katie was a very obedient girl for a good long while. Mam even said that she thought Da had brought home a different girl."

We finally reached the tree, and Adam made quick work of cutting it down. He and Hoss loaded it onto the sled, and we hurried home, anxious to be out of the cold.

My uncles sat and watched as my cousins and I decorated the tree. I had popped corn before we left, and Adam and I strung it with needles and thread. We almost didn't have enough, but finally Hoss decided he didn't want any more.

"Honestly, Hoss, the next time I make popped corn for the tree, I'm going to make two batches!"

"Fine by me" was all he said, or at least that's what I thought he said. His mouth was so full of popped corn that he sounded like he was mumbling.

We finally finished decorating the tree. It looked beautiful with the popped corn and the ornaments. It even had candles on it, although Uncle Ben wouldn't allow us to light them. I remembered last year not understanding his concern, so after Christmas, when Adam dragged the tree away from the house, Uncle Ben dropped a lit candle on it. Joe and I were shocked at how quickly a pine tree could go up in flames. So, only Uncle Ben or Adam could light the candles, and Uncle Ben insisted the tree be nowhere near the fireplace.

Uncle Pat showed Adam and Joe what to do with the holly while Uncle John helped me put lunch on the table. Uncle Seamus had abruptly left the room, while we were decorating and Uncle Ben sent Hoss to fetch him for lunch.

I baked cookies and pies all afternoon. I had a large basket to bring for the dance, and a smaller basket to give to Mitch. Tonight would be the last time I would see him before Christmas, and I was going to give him his Christmas gift.

I had wanted to give Mitch a copy of the picture I had taken for Uncle Ben, but Adam put his foot down. He said that his father would have more than a few things to say to me if he found out that I had given such an intimate gift to Mitch. Arguing with Adam can be like arguing with Uncle Ben, and so I finally conceded that he was right. Instead I was giving Mitch one of the shirts I had made, but on this one I put a little fancy stitching along the collar and the pockets.

The dance was wonderful. I never lacked for dance partners. Of course, seven of them came with me, and each uncle and cousin insisted on a dance, even, to my surprise, Joe. I also danced with Mr. Devlin, Mr. Orowitz and even Big Dan. But mostly I danced with Mitch until finally he mentioned he wanted to give me my Christmas present. We were standing near the buffet table when he said that, and Uncle Seamus was standing near us. He leaned toward Mitch.

"Lad, you'll be wanting to do that where it's more private, like outside."

I couldn’t have been more surprised if Uncle Ben had said that. Mitch shook his head and glanced at Uncle Ben, playing with the musicians.

"No, thank you, sir, that wouldn't be a good idea."

Uncle Seamus smiled slightly. "I'm not suggesting you sneak off with her, Mitch. I'll go out with you, to make himself happy."

Now Mitch looked confused, but I had grown accustomed to my uncles' odd cadences. "He means Uncle Ben."

"Thank you, sir."

I hurried over to my things to get the small basket and gift while Mitch went to get his coat. We stepped into the cool air, Uncle Seamus right behind us. He moved to the end of the porch, and leaned over the rail to look at the moon.

I gave Mitch his present first. I felt shy giving it to him, worried that he wouldn't like it, but he said he did.

"I'm going to save it for dances, though, Annie, if that's okay. You know, so I can look good when I'm with you."

I thought he always looked good, and I told him so. I could see him duck his head before he reached into his coat pocket. I shivered as I took the small package that he offered me.

"Are you cold?" He whipped off his coat and placed it on my shoulders. It was a good thing he couldn't see me blushing. The coat's smell made me think of him and I never wanted to take it off.

"Go on, open it." Mitch gestured to the gift. I smiled, and ripped away at the paper.

"Oh, Mitch." I looked at the soft leather gloves. I had admired that exact pair in Orowitz's trading post two weeks ago. They were the softest leather gloves that I had ever touched, and they had flowers embroidered on the back. They must have cost him at least a month's wages. Without thinking, I threw my arms around him and kissed him. His arms wrapped around my waist and he pulled me close, returning my kiss with a passion that left me weak in the knees. The sound of a throat clearing startled us both, and we looked around guiltily. Uncle Seamus had stopped looking at the moon and was shaking his head.

"No more of that, thank you. I think it's time we went inside."

I nodded briefly as I smoothed back my hair and I stepped through the door with Mitch right behind me just as Uncle Ben looked up from playing. I could see his entire posture change, and his jaw ground to one side, as it does when he is angry. As soon as Uncle Seamus stepped behind us, though, Uncle Ben appeared to relax.

He didn't trust me! I didn't know if I wanted to yell at him or burst into tears. Mitch hurried to where his parents were standing; I could see Mr. Devlin frowning also. I walked over to my things and put the gloves in the basket I had used to bring the pies. I blinked back the tears that were starting to blind me just as I felt a hand resting on my shoulder. I didn't rise, or even look behind me.

"Annie, what's wrong?" It was Uncle Seamus.

I shook my head, not trusting myself to speak.

Uncle Seamus put his hand over mine, effectively stopping me from gathering my things. "I saw the look on Ben's face when we stepped in, is that what's bothering you?"

I shrugged. "He doesn't trust me."

He put his arm around my shoulders. "Could it be that he remembers what it is to be young and alone with a beautiful lass?"

I blushed. "I'm not beautiful."

"Oh, Annie, love, don't you believe that for a minute." He pulled me in for a hug. "If I were Ben, I wouldn't let a boy speak to you, let alone be with you. You are even more beautiful than Katie was when she was fifteen."

Uncle Seamus made me feel a little better, but I was still hurt by the look on Uncle Ben's face. I didn't speak much all the way home, and I went to bed as soon as I could.

I should have known that Uncle Ben would know something was wrong, for I had just finished my prayers and crawled into bed when he knocked softly and came into my room. He pulled my chair over to the side of my bed and settled down.

"Seamus tells me that I made a mess of things tonight, Annie. I'm sorry." He reached out to touch my hand but I pulled it away. "I didn't realize Seamus was with you."

I glanced at him. "You don't trust me." I knew I sounded petulant and disrespectful, but I didn't care. Respect needed to go both ways. "I told you before about Mitch, and I told you I wouldn't do anything to shame myself, or you. I know right from wrong, and now you don't trust me."

He reached out to touch my hand again, but I just glowered. "You're right, Annie. I can offer no explanation, no excuse, except that I am overly protective of you because I love you very much, and I don't want to see you hurt. I'm sorry, Annie."

I shrugged. "All right, Uncle Ben." I made a great pretense at yawning. "I'm tired now, good night."

Uncle Ben looked like he was about to speak, but he just shook his head and stood. "Good night, Annie." His voice sounded sad.

Once again I was the first one awake the next morning. It was Christmas Eve, and I had so much work to do. Not that I minded, of course. I was rather enjoying myself, cooking for my cousins and all my uncles. And, judging by the lack of leftovers after every meal, they were enjoying what I prepared.

I started the coffee, and had just started mixing the griddlecakes when the front door opened and Uncle John came in. "Seamus and Pat will be here in a minute. Good morning, Annie my love."

"Good morning, Uncle John." I smiled as he gave me a kiss and we both turned as we heard a door opening behind us. My smile faded.

"Good morning, John, good morning, Annie." Uncle Ben looked as though he wanted to say more, but my other uncles and my cousins all came into the room at the same time, and I hurried back to make breakfast for everyone.

I didn't speak during breakfast, nor did I look at Uncle Ben. I knew I was being childish, but it hurt to think he didn't trust me. I had lost all my Christmas spirit and I just wanted to go back to bed until spring.

Uncle Ben announced that there would be no work in the afternoon, as long as the morning work was finished. I didn't join my cousins in their cheers, but instead began to clear the table. Uncle John rose. "Annie, my love, would you like to come for a walk with me when you're done with the dishes?"

Adam stood. "I'll do them, Annie, you go ahead."

Not one to turn my back on a cousin's generosity, I thanked Adam and hurried to remove my apron and put on my boots. Uncle John helped me with my coat and then held out his arm. Grinning, I put my gloves on, slipped my hand through, and rested it on his elbow.

The snow was softly falling as we walked off the porch and headed toward the small pond that was behind the house. I told Uncle John about the first winter I lived on the Ponderosa, when I didn't listen to Adam and I fell through the ice.

He just shook his head. "It's a wonder Ben's hair isn't more gray with the four of you scaring the life out of him on a regular basis."

We walked in silence for a few minutes until Uncle John stopped and turned to me.

"Annie, don't be angry with Ben for what happened last night."

I was surprised he knew that I had been angry, and I said as much. He shrugged.

"I was in the room when Seamus told Ben off. Don't worry, he didn’t say anything to your uncle Ben that your uncle Ben hasn't heard before from me or from your father. And I can see the looks you give him. I know my brother, Annie, and this wall between you and he grieves him. "

I shrugged. "He doesn't trust me. He thought I snuck out with Mitch and I wouldn't do that."

He draped his arm over my shoulder. "Annie, you need to understand something. Ben is more protective of you than he would be of his own daughter, and that's because of your father."

I looked up at him. "What do you mean?"

We resumed walking. "You know that your father was the youngest of us. Well, I am almost three years older than Ben, but there was only about seventeen months separating Ben and Ed. They were inseparable while we were growing up. Sometimes I felt like the odd man out, but not often. As we grew older, Ben became very protective of Ed. He even took the blame for trouble that Ed would make, although Father usually found out, and then Ben would be in trouble for lying and your father would be in trouble for whatever mischief he had made.

"Nothing could come between them." Uncle John's face clouded for a minute. "Well, someone did for a very short time after our parents died, but they worked that out." He spoke very quietly and I realized he probably didn't mean to say that aloud. I wondered what he meant, but I knew he wouldn't explain it to me.

Uncle John kept talking. "I just wanted you to understand that when your Uncle Ben becomes protective of you, it's because he's also protecting Ed, strange as that sounds. It's not that he doesn't trust you. It's just if he lets you get hurt, he hurts Ed, too."

I thought a while on what Uncle John said. I was already feeling guilty about the bad feeling between Uncle Ben and me, and I knew Uncle John was right. I knew that several years ago Uncle Ben had promised my father that if anything should happen to Papa, that Uncle Ben would take care of me. Like all Cartwrights, he took his promises seriously.

"Annie, it's Christmas. Surely you can't be angry with someone because he loves you too much to let something happen to you."

Uncle John's admonishment shamed me. How could I be so mean to Uncle Ben? I would apologize as soon as I saw him, and I told Uncle John so.

"That's my girl!"

I smiled. "Uncle John? If you promise to not tell Uncle Ben, I'll tell you something." I waited for him to nod. "I think that I like the way he is so protective."

His laugh echoed around the pond. "That's a good thing, Annie, because it's not going to change anytime soon. And I think his boys are just like him."

I thought of Adam and Hoss. They certainly were protective. Even Joe was, in his own way. But, I suppose I would have to admit that I was just as protective of them.

Uncle John sobered and he turned to face me. "Annie, my love, about boys…" I braced myself. "Ben told me about Adam having to bring you home from a dance last winter, and about what happened with Mitch a few weeks back."

I could feel my face burning. "I can't believe he told you! He had no right!" I even stomped my boot in the snow, although it made no satisfying noise.

"Anna…" I was always amazed at how my father and Uncle Ben could make my name sound like a reprimand; apparently Uncle John also had that skill.

"I'm sorry, Uncle John, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. It's just, I don't know." I didn't know what to say.

"He didn't tell me a lot, Annie, but you must understand that Uncle Ben is not your only protective uncle." He waited until I nodded. "Annie, don't be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy yourself for a while." He turned away from me for a minute, and then turned back. "Annie, a marriage that happens because of a child is not going to be as happy as a marriage that happens because of love." He hesitated. "I know that to be true."

Good glory, what other family secrets was I going to learn today? I hoped I didn't look as shocked as I felt by his confession. But he had taken me into his confidence, and I needed to reassure him that I understood what he was telling me.

"Uncle John, I will tell you the same thing that I told Uncle Ben. I know right from wrong, and I will do nothing to bring shame to myself or to my family."

He kissed the top of my head. "Of course you won't, Annie, my love."

We walked around the pond some more. Uncle John told me of the strange sights he saw when they stopped in China, and I told him about school and about my friends. The snow began to fall more heavily and Uncle John decided we should return to the house.

"If this keeps up, your young man won't be able to visit tomorrow."

I blushed. "And Adam and Hoss won't be able to go visiting Ro or Tess." Uncle Ben had given us permission to visit sweethearts or, in my case, to have sweethearts visit after Christmas dinner at noon as long as Christmas Eve remained a family-only day.

"Mitch is a nice young man, Annie. I approve of him. He held his own the other day, I'll give him that."

I blushed some more. I suppose it didn't matter much, but it was nice to know that Uncle John liked Mitch.

I stopped at the porch. "Uncle John? Would you ask Uncle Ben to come outside?"

As I waited for Uncle Ben, I thought of what I would say to him. All the times I had been in trouble, all the times I had disobeyed him, the very few times I had lied, the many times I had been disrespectful, he had forgiven me every time. Yet the one time he disappoints me, I turned my back on him. What could I say, how could I convince him that I was sorry?

As it turned out, words were unnecessary. Uncle Ben came onto the porch, closing the door softly behind him. He looked at me, his head tilted to one side, waiting, and I looked at him and burst into tears. I hate crying, but I seem to do it a lot lately. He pulled me into a hug while I kept saying, "I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. You're right, I know that I can trust you to do the right thing."

I stopped crying then and looked at him. "I promised you I would, and a Cartwright never forgets her promise." I smiled at him. "Just - don't ask me to spit on it."

 

My cousins and uncles all left the house shortly after Uncle Ben and I came back inside. Uncle Ben had tried to insist that my other uncles were guests and were not expected to work, but they had in turn insisted that they wanted to help. Everyone seemed to be anxious to get through morning chores so they could have the afternoon to relax. My cousins were going to show Uncle Seamus and Uncle Pat the lake. Uncle Ben and Uncle John had decided to spend some time alone, and that left me home by myself. Uncle Pat had once again tried to convince Uncle Ben that I should be allowed to go to the lake with them, but Uncle Ben was adamant that my punishment would stand, as I knew he would be. I didn't mind though, I had plans for the afternoon. I served a simple lunch, and then everyone headed out.

I had been planning our Christmas Eve supper for weeks. I knew I didn't have much money with which to buy presents this year, and I had fretted since Thanksgiving about what I would give my uncle and cousins. One day, when I was alone in the house, I had come across some recipes that were in a different language. I had known they weren't French, and so I had decided they must have been Aunt Inger's. I had taken them to my friend Beth's mother, who had translated them for me. As I was riding home, it had hit me like a thunderbolt. My cousins' presents would be a Christmas Eve supper in honor of their mothers.

Mrs. Swensen had been very helpful, explaining to me the different foods that would be served in Sweden around Christmas. She called it a smorgasbord, or something like that. Some of the food sounded dreadful, although I did not tell her that, of course, but I knew I could make some of the simpler dishes. I decided to make a ham, pepparkakor, which were a ginger cookie, and rice pudding, in which I was supposed to place an almond for good luck.

I didn't need to read French to figure out what I should make in memory of Tante Marie. She had been a faithful correspondent, and I needed only to read her old letters to decide what to make. Tante Marie always prepared a duck for the Christmas Eve revillion at midnight. I had no desire to eat duck at midnight, even if Uncle Ben let me stay up that late, but I could make it for supper. I had enlisted Hop Sing's help before he left, and he somehow acquired a duck for me, and the ingredients to go with it. I was especially happy to see the oranges, for I didn't know how I could ask anyone else to buy them for me without raising questions.

Finding something that Aunt Elizabeth would have made proved to be more difficult until I remembered a story my father had told. Apparently he had stayed with Uncle Ben and Aunt Elizabeth the first Christmas they were married, and her cooking must have made an impression on him, for he remembered everything she served. I settled on clam chowder, Indian pudding, baked beans and brown bread. Fortunately Hop Sing was able to find canned clams at the trading post.

I was saddened for a minute when I realized I didn’t know what my own mother would have prepared for Christmas Eve, but I resolved that I would ask my uncles before they left. I had other Christmas traditions to share and decided to make the tamales that Concetta used to make every year.

Thinking about Concetta made me realize that I missed some of the customs of my childhood. Although Papa and I weren't Catholic, we often joined Concetta and her family at the Rooster's Mass at the local church. The Misa de Gallo, I remember her calling it. We loved the fireworks after church, too. I sighed. But most of all I missed the poinsettias. How I wish they could grow here. I missed the red flowers at Christmas.

But now I had new traditions, like the Christmas tree, which Hoss's mother had introduced to the Cartwrights, and Tante Marie's crèche. I looked at the tree, festooned with bows and garlands of fruit and popcorn, and some hand carved ornaments. It even had the candles that Uncle Ben would light for only a few minutes. Near it stood the crèche, the manger empty, awaiting the Baby Jesus that Adam would place in it before we went to bed.

I had the food ready by the time everyone came back to the house. Uncle Ben and Uncle John were the first ones in, followed quickly by my mother's brothers and my cousins.

Uncle Ben took one look at the table and frowned at me. "Annie, I said no chores this afternoon."

I smiled shyly. "It's my Christmas present, Uncle Ben." I could see Adam craning his neck to see around his father, and I watched his eyes light up as he stepped up to the table.

"Annie, are those pepparkakor? Pa, look at these!" Adam looked like a little boy. "We haven't had these in…well a long time!" He swiped a cookie and took a bite. "These are like Mama's!"

Seeing Adam excited was worth every bit of my hard work. "I used her recipe. Mrs. Swensen translated it for me." I noticed Uncle Ben staring at me. "You don't mind, do you?"

"No, Annie, it's a wonderful gift." His voice sounded odd, almost husky, and I hoped he wasn't catching a cold.

Adam grabbed another cookie and looked around for Hoss. "Hoss, you gotta eat one. Your mother made these for Christmas, and Annie found her recipe." Suddenly Adam stopped grinning and turned back to me. "Annie, did Mrs. Swensen give you all of Mama's recipes?"

I watched Hoss snatch up a couple more cookies. "I didn't make all the recipes, if that's what you're asking. Why, did I miss something?" Adam looked worried and I was afraid I had missed his favorite dish.

"You didn't make lutfisk, did you?" He sounded worried but Uncle Ben just laughed.

"I hope you didn't, Annie. I'd hate to have to spank Adam on Christmas Eve!"

Adam turned bright red as the rest of the family snickered. Uncle John grinned at my cousin's discomfort. "Ben, I hope there's a story behind that."

Adam mumbled something, but Uncle Ben winked. "There is, but I think I'd better tell it while we're eating. Annie's gone to all this work for us; it would be a shame if it got cold.

I served the chowder as soon as everyone was seated. Both Uncle John and Uncle Ben sniffed as I placed the bowls in front of them. Uncle John looked at me.

"This can't be clam chowder, can it?" He took a sip. "Ben, it's not just clam chowder, it's Aunt May's clam chowder."

"Oh." I looked down. "I thought it was Aunt Elizabeth's recipe. I found it in the box."

Uncle Ben looked wistful for a minute. "Aunt May made the best chowder on the Cape. She gave the recipe to Liz." He ate some more. "You made it perfectly, Annie, but where did you get the clams?"

"They're canned. Hop Sing got them at the trading post."

As everyone ate the chowder, I brought out the rest of the food. I explained each dish as I placed it on the table, and I was pleased to hear exclamations of delight from everyone. As I took my seat, I looked apologetically at Uncle Pat and Uncle Seamus.

"I don't know what my mother would have made, and I didn't know what you would have eaten on Christmas Eve."

"Nothing your mam made, to be sure." I wasn't sure if I heard Uncle Seamus correctly, but I did hear Uncle Pat laugh.

"Annie, I'm glad to say that you did not inherit your mother's cooking skills."

"Skills?" Uncle Seamus snorted. "She had no skills. She was the worst cook I ever knew, and that's sayin' something." He laughed. "Even Da wouldna eat her food, and fathers are supposed to at least pretend they like what their daughters make."

My mother couldn't cook? I shook my head. That would explain why my father never mentioned what she prepared on Christmas Eve!

Hoss stopped eating long enough to look at Uncle Ben. "Hey, Pa, what was that about spankin' Adam?"

Poor Adam, he blushed bright red again. Uncle Ben spooned some more beans and brown bread onto his plate and then looked up.

"The Christmas before you were born, Hoss, your mother and Adam and I were living in a small town in Missouri. Your mother was so excited to have a family with whom to celebrate Christmas that she decided to prepare a special Swedish meal on Christmas Eve. She made many of the foods that Annie's made, but she also made a dish called lutfisk. It was, well, it wasn't something that either Adam or I had ever seen before." Uncle Ben paused for a minute. "I think Inger said it was dried cod that had been cured in lye, and then she baked it or boiled it, I can't remember."

"It was horrid." Adam sat shaking his head and Uncle Ben smiled.

"That's a much kinder thing than you said to Mama that night." Uncle Ben looked around the table. "Adam was four, and he and I had spoken earlier about how hard Mama had worked to create this meal for us, and that I expected him to thank her and to try everything that she put on his plate. Well, when she put lutfisk on his plate, he took one look at is and yelled, 'I can't eat this!' And then he said something else, which I will not repeat."

Adam sighed. "Pa took me from the table, and explained, as only he can, that I had behaved poorly, and that if I did not eat all the lutfisk on my plate, without complaint, he would not wait for Santa to put a switch in my stocking. We came back to the table, I apologized to Mama and I ate all the lutfisk. It was a struggle not to gag."

Everyone at the table except Adam roared with laughter. Uncle Ben wiped the tears from his eyes. "What Adam isn't telling you is that while we were away from the table, Inger had removed most of the lutfisk."

Adam shook his head again. "At least I didn't have to try the pickled pigs feet!"

We spent the rest of the meal talking about Christmas Eves that we remembered, and as I listened to everyone reminisce, I knew I had done the right thing. It was as though our loved ones were at the table with us.

My cousins helped me clear the table so that I could put out the desserts. We sat around the fire, plates of cookies and pie balanced on our laps, telling more stories. Adam was the lucky person who found the almond in the pudding, and I was pleased. He was going to have a difficult year if he went to college, and I thought he would need the luck. He and Hoss headed back to the table for seconds and I saw him nudge Hoss as Hoss was dishing the last of the pudding into his bowl.

"Save a little of that, Hoss." Adam held out a small bowl. "Here, put it in this."

"Huh?" Hoss looked confused, but I saw Uncle Ben turn to look at Adam.

Adam set the small bowl aside. "Mama put out a bowl of porridge for tomten. He would protect us through the year, she said."

Joe surprised me by helping with the dishes while everyone else sat in front of the fire. When the last plate was washed and dried, I gathered the dishes and carried them over to the table. I quickly set it, and then carried over a large pitcher of milk, and the bread with caraway seeds and raisins that I had made that afternoon. My cousins, who had seen me do this before, watched with amusement. Uncle Pat was grinning, and even Uncle Seamus looked satisfied.

Only Uncle John looked confused. "Annie, what are you doing?" He patted his stomach. "Please tell me you aren't feeding us again."

Uncle Pat answered as I lit the candle that I had placed in the middle of the table. "She's setting the table for the Holy Family. 'Tis an Irish custom." He stood and came to help me with the forks and knives. "Your da did this, even after your mam died?"

I nodded, blinking back the sudden tears. "He said she loved Christmas."

"Aye. She loved everything about it." Uncle Pat glanced around. "Do you have a candle for the window?" He turned toward Joe. "Joseph, you're the youngest, it's for you to light."

I shook my head. This was one tradition that I didn't know. Uncle Pat hurried to the buffet and retrieved a small candle. He beckoned Joe to his side.

"We light a candle for the Holy Family, so that they might see a friendly house in their travels. The candle is always lit by the youngest member of the family – in my family, that was me. Here, it's you, Joseph. Then, before we go to bed, it can only be blown out by a girl named Mary." He bowed to me. "And that would be you, Miss Anna Marie."

Joe glanced to his father, who gave a slight nod of permission. Joe lit the small candle from the large one on the table, and he walked slowly to the front window where he carefully set it on the sill. He gave it a satisfied nod, and returned to his seat.

"Uncle Pat?"

"Yes, Joe?"

"What if there's no girl named Mary?" I was glad Joe asked the question, for I wanted to know as well.

Uncle Pat looked surprised. "I don’t know. In our house, both Mam and Katie had the middle name of Mary, so we never lacked." I was about to sit next to him, but he reached out and pulled me onto his lap. I stayed there for the remainder of the evening.

We sang Christmas carols and told more stories until finally it was time for Uncle Ben to read the Christmas story to us. He read it every Christmas Eve, just as Papa did, and I imagine, just as their father did. Uncle Ben retrieved the Bible from its place on the hutch but he didn't sit down with it. Instead he handed it to Uncle John, who took it with a grateful smile. I leaned against Uncle Pat and listened, and when I closed my eyes, I could hear Papa's voice reading the story of Jesus' birth.

No one spoke for several moments when Uncle John finished. Then Adam and Hoss stood and extinguished all the lights except the ones we lit for the Holy Family. Uncle Ben hurried over to the tree whilst I helped Uncle John pour seven glasses of wine, two only half full, and one glass of water, which was for Uncle Seamus. We all gathered in front of the tree and watched Uncle Ben light the candles.

Uncle Pat raised his glass. "Nollaig Shona Dui. Slainte!"

We raised our glasses in return. "Merry Christmas!"

After that, Adam placed the baby Jesus in the manger, pausing, no doubt, to think of Marie. Uncle Ben blew out the candles on the tree, I extinguished the lamp in the window, and we all went to bed. It was the most wonderful Christmas Eve I had ever known.

 

One of the most difficult rules on the Ponderosa was the one that Uncle Ben enforced every Christmas morning. Everyone had to do the morning chores before we could open presents. Uncle Ben was right, of course. We had to put the needs of the animals before our own. But that didn't make it easier. I think I had the most difficult time of all, for I was inside preparing breakfast and I could see all the packages under the tree. My cousins were doing barn chores, and could get their minds off the gifts because they did not see them.

Joe hurried into the house and glanced wistfully at the tree as he handed me the basket of eggs. I was busy chopping the leftover ham and some onions, to put in the eggs, for Uncle Ben also insisted that we eat breakfast first.

Finally everyone ate and it was time to open the gifts. Adam and Hoss turned the sofa and chairs to face the tree. I sat between Uncle Ben and Uncle John on the sofa; Uncle Seamus and Uncle Pat sat in the side chairs. My cousins arranged themselves around the tree and Adam appointed himself the disburser of gifts. We cousins had already agreed among ourselves that Uncle Ben would receive his gift first, and we anxiously watched as he made a show of unwrapping the paper. He pulled each picture from the box, admiring each of them. He didn't say anything for the longest time, but his smile told us all we needed to know.

He shook his head as he passed the pictures to Uncle John. "When were these done?"

Adam laughed. "It wasn't easy, Pa. The man was here a couple of weeks ago. We had the pictures done after school one day, but the real trick was keeping you out of town. We were afraid you would see his sign and insist that we all get our pictures done."

Uncle John looked at the pictures longingly. Hoss nudged Adam, who scrambled to retrieve the other packages for my uncles. Uncle Seamus looked up in surprise as Adam placed the package on his lap.

"Gifts for me?" He turned the small package over and studied it for a long while. "It's been a long time since I've received a Christmas gift." He slit open the paper and pulled out the picture of me. He said nothing, and for a minute I was afraid that I had assumed too much. Maybe he didn’t want a picture of me. I held my breath until he looked at me and smiled. "Oh, Annie, mo chroi. I'll have you everywhere I go. 'Tis a wondrous gift, to be sure." He looked away from me, toward the tree. "Adam, be a good lad. There are gifts there from Pat and me."

Uncle John leaned over to thank me for the pictures. We had given him a set to match Uncle Ben's. Uncle Pat received the same picture as I had given to Uncle Seamus, and he was just as moved.

Adam passed out the remaining gifts and my uncles watched eagerly as we tore at the wrapping. The gift from Uncle John took my breath away.

"Oh, Uncle John!" I ran my hands over the finest silk I had ever seen. There were two bolts – one a deep blue and the other a dark red, almost maroon. "Oh, Uncle John, thank you!"

"I bought those in China. The captain's wife helped me, and she assured me that you could make a dress from each, with some leftover."

Uncle Seamus leaned toward me, as excited as I'd ever seen him. "I bought my gift in China as well, in the same market as John bought his." He leaned back, looking a little bashful. "Well, I hope you like it."

I lifted the lid off the box and found two ivory combs nestled on a velvet lining. They both had vines of flowers and small birds carved on the top. "Oh, Uncle Seamus, they're beautiful! I've never seen such fine combs. Thank you!" I stood and hurried to give him a hug. Before I could sit again, Uncle Pat pulled me to him and nothing would do but that I sit on his lap while I opened his gift.

"I did not go to China, Annie, sweetheart, but I had this made special for you." The small box held a gold bracelet. "It's my own gold, you know." He took it from me. "Here now, lass, let me slip it on."

I held out my hand and admired my wrist. "Thank you." I leaned against him and watched my cousins open their gifts.

Uncle John also brought my cousins' gifts from China. For Adam, he had a handsome chess set carved of ivory and jade. Hoss's gift was also carved of jade and ivory, but it was a collection of small figurines depicting animals that Uncle John said lived in the Orient. Joe received a small box filled with a collection of what Uncle John called Chinese puzzle rings.

Uncle Pat and Uncle Seamus gave them each a small bag of gold and coins. When Uncle Ben began to protest their generosity, Uncle Seamus silenced him. "Annie and your boys are all we can call family, Benjamin. You'll not deny us that pleasure now, will you?" Uncle Ben looked abashed, and murmured his thanks before turning his attention to Joe, who was already making plans to spend his new wealth. Uncle Ben held out his hand.

"Pa, it's mine!" Joe was pleading to keep his sack.

"I'm not going to spend it, Joseph, but I'm not going to let you spend it on candy, either."

"I wasn't gonna spend it on candy. I have my eye on a new saddle at the livery. It's real fancy and it's black and it's got silver on it, too."

Uncle Ben smiled and nodded to Adam, who reached behind the tree and dragged out a big box. He pushed it in front of Joe, who jumped up and pulled the top off.

"Gol-ly, Pa!" Joe stared a minute and then reached in to pull out a real fancy, black saddle with silver on it. "Gol-ly!"

Uncle Ben laughed. "You're welcome, Joseph."

Uncle Ben's gift to Adam appeared to be just a letter, but it must have been something more, for Adam stared at it for the longest time, and then looked at his father. "Pa, I don't know what to say. Thank you." I found out later that Uncle Ben had given Adam all of his remaining shares in Captain Stoddard's business, a handsome gift indeed.

My uncle's gift to Hoss was a new rifle. Hoss had been admiring it for the past two months, but as it was the most expensive rifle that Mr. Orowitz sold, Hoss had held out no hopes of actually owning it. Hoss kept saying, "don't this beat all!" as he ran his hands along the stock and the barrel. Joe reached out to touch it, but Hoss shook his head. "Don't even think it, brother." Finally he remembered to thank his father.

Uncle Ben looked over at me. "Adam, I think you've missed something." He stood and reached past Adam to pick up a flat box, which he handed to me.

I opened the box and found a silver hairbrush and hand mirror, both engraved with AMC in flowery letters. I had never seen such a beautiful set at the trading post and I wondered where he got them. As if he knew what I was thinking, Uncle Ben smiled.

"They're from San Francisco. I asked Mr. Orowitz to order them for me."

"Thank you, Uncle Ben." I held each one up to admire them in the light. I was thrilled with all my gifts, for they were not gifts for a little girl, but rather for a young woman.

Uncle Ben gestured for me to sit between him and Uncle John again. As soon as I sat, Uncle John handed me another package.

"This is from Ben and from me. Ben had thought to save it for your wedding day…"

"Which will not be for several years."

Uncle John hushed Uncle Ben with a glance. "As I was saying, Ben was going to wait until your wedding day, but I don't know when I'll be back and I asked him to give it to you while I am here."

I couldn’t imagine what the gift could possibly be, so I ripped open the paper and found my grandmother's jewelry box. Captain Stoddard had sent it to us a few years ago along with other things that had been stored in his house, and Uncle Ben had put it away.

I lifted the lid. Inside were earrings and necklaces and several pins. I picked up a small cameo to admire it.

Uncle Ben looked into the box. "You'll have to save most of the pieces until you're married, of course, but there are a few things that you can wear now." He reached in and pulled out a short strand of pearls, which he fastened about my neck.

I was overwhelmed, and just a little concerned. I looked at my uncles and then at my cousins. Once again, Uncle Ben knew what I was thinking.

"Your cousins have their mothers' jewelry to give their wives someday, Anna. John and I want you to have this."

"Thank you." I couldn't think of anything else to say, but that didn't seem to matter to Uncle Ben and Uncle John. They looked pleased.

We spent the rest of the morning admiring our gifts. Uncle Ben and Uncle John told me what they knew about my grandmother's jewelry while Adam taught Uncle Seamus how to play chess. Uncle Pat and Hoss and Joe spent their time trying to figure out Joe's new puzzles.

After lunch, Adam and Hoss left to visit Ro and Tess, and I changed my clothes because Mitch was coming to visit me. I stood in my room and used my new brush to arrange my hair with Uncle Seamus's combs. Finally satisfied, I stepped out of my room just as someone knocked on the door.

Uncle Seamus was closest to the door, so he opened it. "Merry Christmas, Mitch. You're here to call on Annie, are you?"

"Merry Christmas, Mr. McLaughlin. Yes, sir, I'm here to see Annie."

Uncle Seamus stepped aside to let Mitch enter. "C'mon in, lad, and open your eyes. She's right there."

I sighed. I had been looking forward to Mitch's visit and now I wasn't so sure it was a good thing, what with having four uncles staring at us the entire time.

Uncle Ben turned from the fireplace. "Annie, it's a warm afternoon. Perhaps you and Mitch would like to sit on the porch for a bit. Maybe on that bench by the window." He winked as he nodded toward the door.

I didn't wait for him to change his mind. I hurried to grab my coat. I had to shake Mitch for I think he was in a bit of a shock that Uncle Ben was allowing us to be alone.

We sat on the porch for several minutes in silence until Mitch finally looked at me. "Merry Christmas, Annie." And then he kissed me.

I don’t know what we talked about as we sat there, his arm around my shoulders, holding me close. He told me that his parents had given him a new horse, and I told him about the gifts from my uncles but other than that, we didn't say much. It was nice just to sit with him. Finally we got cold, and Mitch decided it was time for us to go in.

We played games all afternoon; Mitch beat Joe and my uncles in checkers, and then Uncle Ben tried to teach Joe how to play chess. Mitch left as it began to get dark and Adam and Hoss came home shortly before supper. I decided to go to bed early, and as I was climbing into bed, Uncle Ben came to say goodnight.

"Thank you, Uncle Ben." I pulled the covers about me.

"For?"

"For letting Mitch and me sit outside for a while." I smiled. "I was surprised you didn't have a reason to go to the barn at least once."

He shook his head solemnly. "No, Annie, you've given me your word." He winked. "Besides, John was the one who kept saying he needed to check on his horse."

I could only roll my eyes. I was surrounded by over-protective uncles.

 

 

The day after Christmas was a return to normal for us. We had chores to do, and Uncle Ben planned to go to town to get Hop Sing. We were all going along.

Joe's job that morning was to empty the ash bucket, which he hated to do. He must have tripped when he brought the ashes out, for he returned to the house as dirty as I have ever seen him. I shrieked when I saw him open the door.

"Don't you even think of coming in this house!"

My shouts attracted the attention of everyone in the house. Uncle Ben just rubbed his hand over his eyes. Adam, Hoss and Uncle John howled in laughter. Uncle Seamus looked bemused, and Uncle Pat stood and hurried to the door.

He reached into his pocket. "Sure, and here's a penny to bury the wren."

Joe grinned, his white teeth showing bright in his filthy face. "Thanks, Uncle Pat." He took the penny, and I watched Uncle Pat wipe his hands on his pant leg.

Uncle Ben stood and waved at Joe. "Joseph, step outside. I'll bring you something to change into."

"Change outside? Pa, it's cold." Joe made a great pretense of shivering.

"Well, you're not coming in this house like that. You're filthy." I shook my spoon at him.

"Who made you boss of the house?" Joe looked like he was heading inside, but Uncle Ben's voice stopped him.

"Joseph, do not come in with that ash on you. I'll bring you some clean clothes."

Even Joe knew to not contradict his father when he heard that tone. "Yes, Pa."

Uncle Ben waited until Joe closed the door behind him before he headed into the bunkroom to get Joe's clothes.

"Uncle Pat?" Uncle Pat looked up from his seat when Hoss spoke. "How come ya gave Joe a penny?" Hoss was sitting at the table repairing Uncle John's bridle.

"Seeing him look so, I figured he was a wren boy." When he saw us look confused he smiled. "Tell you what, let's wait for Joseph to come in and I'll tell you about wren boys. 'Tis an Irish custom."

Uncle Ben came back in then. "Annie, I'd like to see you in my room, please."

I followed him and he closed the door behind us. "Annie, I think you need to remember that you are not the mistress of this house."

What? "Sir?"

He shook his head. "You know what I mean. You took it upon yourself to yell at Joe just now. A few days ago, you yelled at your uncles because you thought they were going to track mud into the house."

"I didn't mean to yell at them. I thought it was Joe and Hoss." I kept my voice level, but I didn't think he was being fair.

He raised his finger. "That's my point, Anna. You think you can yell at your cousins and I am telling you that you cannot. If they drag in a mess, Anna, I will tell them to clean up after themselves, not you."

I didn't see what difference it made who told them to clean up after themselves, but I knew he wouldn't concede the point, and that I'd get in trouble for arguing. "Yes, sir, I understand."

He nodded. "Good girl. Now go get ready to go to town." He reached toward the doorknob.

"Uncle Ben? Would you mind if I stayed home? It's just that Uncle Seamus isn't going to town, and I'd like to stay with him, if that's all right."

I didn't know why Uncle Seamus didn't want to go into Eagle Station, but he had announced earlier that he was going to stay home. I wanted to stay with him, for I found that he was more talkative when we were alone. I was hoping to hear some more stories. Uncle Ben nodded and we stepped out of his room just as Uncle Pat was finishing his story about wren boys. Everyone was laughing – even Uncle Seamus was smiling. No matter. I would get the story from Uncle Seamus later.

Uncle Ben looked at my cousins. "It's time to go to town – get ready, boys. Annie has decided to stay home with you, if that's all right, Seamus?"

Uncle Seamus nodded. "I'll be glad of the company."

Uncle Ben headed out the door, followed by Uncle John. Uncle Pat hesitated, looking from me to Uncle Seamus.

"We'll be fine, Paddy. You go on." I couldn’t tell if Uncle Seamus was giving his permission for Uncle Pat to leave, or if he was telling him to go. Uncle Pat nodded, and he left, too.

I wiped the dishes and put them away. When I'd finished, Uncle Seamus gestured for me to sit next to him on the sofa. He rested his arm on the back, and I sat close to him.

"Is Benjamin fair to you? He treats you well?" I felt his hand wrap around my shoulder and hold me close to him. "He seems to, but you don't know how a man is when guests aren't about."

"Yes, he's fair. And he treats me as though I were his own child." I felt the need to explain why I had been called into Uncle Ben's room. "He doesn't like us to get too full of ourselves, though. That's why he scolded me just now. He doesn't tolerate disrespect, dishonesty or disobedience, but he always listens to my story." Uncle Seamus still looked concerned. "I'm happy here, if that's what you're asking."

He smiled then. "Aye, Annie, mo chroi. That's what I'm asking, to be sure."

We sat in silence for a while. "Uncle Seamus? Are you happy here?"

He flinched. "I'm enjoying myself, yes." I could feel his body tense. "I don't know that I've ever been happy, Annie. It's not an easy life I've had."

"Will you tell me about it?" I wrapped my arm around him.

"No." I could tell by his voice that there would be no changing his mind. I glanced up again at his scarred face and wondered what had happened to hurt him so badly.

I was content to sit with him for a long while, neither of us speaking, both of us lost in our thoughts. Finally, I needed to break the silence and I said the first thing that came into my mind.

"Uncle Seamus, would you tell me why Uncle Pat gave Joe the penny?"

"Did you not listen when Pat told the story?" He nodded before I could answer. "Oh, that's right. Ben was tellin' you off, wasn't he.

"When Paddy and I were boys, it was the custom on St. Stephens Day – that is the day after Christmas – for boys to kill a wren and then go around asking for a penny to bury it."

What an awful thing to do. "Eeew! What did the poor wren ever do to you?"

Uncle Seamus laughed. "I suppose it does sound strange now. I've heard it said that during the last century that a village tried to revolt against the English, but the wrens pecked the drums and woke the soldiers. But then again, I've heard that the wrens warned the Danes hundreds of years ago, so who knows the truth of it.

"The boys, and sometimes men, would tie the wren to a pole, or put it on a bier, and we'd go from house to house reciting our song. Let's see if I remember it." He thought a long minute. "Yes, yes. It's been a while, but here it is:

"The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,

St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze;

Though his body is small, his family is great,

So, if you please, your honour, give us a treat.

On Christmas Day I turned a spit;

I burned my finger: I feel it yet.

Up with the kettle, and down with the pan;

Give me some money to bury the wren."

His face took on a far away look, as though he were lost in his past. "The neighbors would either give us food or some money. It was good luck for them, or so we believed." He frowned. "Sometimes children believe foolish things."

I wanted to know what he meant by that, but he stood abruptly and left the room. I knew he'd be angry if I followed, so I decided that I had best finish my chores.

Everyone arrived back from town in good humor. I was happy to see Hop Sing return. Although I had greatly enjoyed all the work I had done in preparing our Christmas meals, I wasn't ready to run the household all the time. I was glad to return to my role as helper. Hop Sing looked relieved to hear me say that, too.

"Family gave many compliments to you on our way home from town." He winked at me. "I thought perhaps Hop Sing was no longer necessary on Ponderosa."

I shook my head. "No thank you, Hop Sing! I think you'll be needed here for a long time to come!"

Hop Sing laughed, and told me that he would take care of supper without my help. That meant that I had an afternoon free from chores, so I spent it reading a new book that Mr. Orowitz had sent home with Adam.

During supper, Uncle Ben told Joe and me that school would resume again on Monday. I was pleased, for I had missed seeing my friends, and part of me was happy that life would return to normal. Joe scowled, for he does not enjoy school, but his good humor returned when Uncle John mentioned that he and Uncle Seamus and Uncle Pat would be staying on for a few more weeks.

After supper we all gathered around the fireplace again. Joe and Hoss played checkers, while Uncle Seamus tried to beat Adam in chess. I just curled up on the sofa, content to lean against Uncle Pat and to listen to Uncle John and Uncle Ben talked quietly of their sailing days. What gifts I received this Christmas – the presence of my uncles, the memories of my mother, the love of my family. December truly is a magical time.