The Homecoming of Captain Jacks

Author: JD

Rating: PG

Mild Violence, Mild Sexual content (very mild)

 

"Can you believe that guy swallowed six swords! Six. I couldn’t believe three but he swallowed six!" Little Joe let his horse fall back away from those of his two brothers so he could come around and ride next to Tess. "What was your favorite part of the show?"

"I liked the man who read minds. Wouldn’t that be a great power to have?"

"I don’t know, Tess," Adam said, as he urged Beauty to pick up the pace. "You might find out things you’d rather not know."

"Aw, come on," Hoss chimed in. "He wasn’t really reading minds, was he? It was just a trick, don’t you think, Adam?"

"It was not a trick," Joe protested. "It was magic. Real magic. He knew Tess was holding her hair ribbon and he even knew the color."

"But he saw her come in the tent," said Hoss. "He saw the color before they ever put the blindfold on him."

"But lots of women were wearing ribbons, he couldn’t have remembered all of them and how did he know it was her?"

"Reading minds is easy," Adam called from his place in the lead. "Even I can do it. Want me to tell you what Hoss is thinking right now?"

One no and two yeses sounded as one.

"He’s thinking he’s hungry and tired and he wishes we were home already because Hop Sing is making Pot Pies for dinner." Adam looked back over his shoulder to see if he had hit the mark. Apparently he had because Hoss was looking mighty impressed.

A roll of thunder stopped any reply.

Joe gave Paint’s reigns a shake then trotted up to the side of his oldest brother. "That storms getting closer."

Adam reached over and gave the boy a pat on the arm. "We’ll be home before it breaks." Little Joe wasn’t a big fan of thunderstorms. Adam on the other hand, loved them. He loved the sound and the fury and the fresh smells that came with a good, hard rain; perfect book reading weather as long as one was at home safe and sound when the sky opened up. "I can hear Rabbit Creek already. Once we’re there it’s over the bridge then straight on until we’re home." ‘Straight on’ was at least another hours ride but Adam wasn’t overly concerned.

The four of them had set out for Collierville at the crack of dawn, a long hard ride that didn’t seem so long with the excitement of seeing a carnival foremost in their minds. Joe had driven Adam crazy for a week prior with questions about what they would see and what they would do and once they were on the way it only got worse. The little boy had chattered non-stop for four straight hours and although there were moments when he Adam was ready to beg for a little peace, mostly he didn’t mind. It was good to see Joe so happy and excited, two things that had almost disappeared from their lives they day they buried their mother on the shore of Lake Tahoe.

"The river sounds awfully loud," Joe said bringing Adam back to the moment. "Didn’t sound like that when we came by this morning."

Now that he mentioned it, Adam had to agree and that wasn’t good. He gave Beauty a kick, then took off at a gallop. The other three did the same and in no time they were facing the rushing Rabbit River.

The water was moving at an incredible rate, slopping over the bank and eating away at the soil for a good five feet on either side. Large chunks of plant life and tree branches were being carried along like feathers caught in a draft of air.

"What’s happening?" Tess asked.

"Must be the storm," said Adam. "It must be pouring rain further upstream." He turned his horse, then galloped parallel to the river for another quarter mile finally stopping where the bridge used to be. The wooden structure was gone, completely washed away by the force of the water.

Suddenly, the roar of the water was replaced by the sound of his father’s voice. "You keep an eye on them, son. Especially Tess. Mrs. Greene had second thoughts about letting her go but she figured you were responsible enough to get them there and back safely. And don’t let Joe talk you into staying on longer than you should. I want you all home by nightfall."

Nightfall.

Adam looked up at the pale gray sky just as another roll of thunder rocked the ground.

"Where’s the bridge?" This was Joe, once again riding fast so as to be within arm’s reach of his brother when the next thunderclap hit.

Hoss and Tess rode up a few seconds later, both looking wide-eyed at what remained of the bridge’s pilings on the far bank.

"The bridge was washed away," Joe said as if they couldn’t see that for themselves. "What are we going to do Adam? Can we cross it with the horses."

"No," Tess answered for him. "The current’s too strong. We’d never make it."

"And we aren’t going to try," said Adam, determined to keep a level head. "We’ll ride up stream, the river narrows up there so we should be able to find a place to cross."

"Up stream?" asked Hoss. "But that’s heading into the storm."

"But the river travels downhill from here on. The water’s going to pick up speed not to mention more debris. We have to follow it back up the hill. If we can’t find a safe place to cross we’ll just have to circle the lake."

"That’ll take another whole day!" Hoss challenged. "Maybe we should just camp here and wait it out."

Adam looked up at the ominous sky. "The storm’s coming this way. There’s no shelter here. I’m responsible and I say we keep moving."

"Hoss," Tess cut in. "I think Adam is right. We should go upstream."

"Upstream," Joe agreed.

Hoss sighed. "Upstream then. Let’s get going, I’m still thinking about those pot pies."

Finally in agreement, the four of them resumed their trek home.

* * * *

They rode in silence for nearly a half hour with only the roar of the river and an occasional roll of thunder filling the air. Then a bolt of lightening streaked across the sky. Paint reared and whined but then calmed as the electricity faded from the air.

Adam suspected that it wasn’t the coming storm that was bothering the horse, it was the horse’s rider. "Come ride with me," he said, maneuvering Beauty up next to the pony.

"I’m not scared," Joe protested.

"I know, but Paint’s kind of jumpy so I’d rather have you here with me." Adam opened to his arm to the boy and after a moment’s hesitation, just for show, Joe swung himself from one horse to the other.

"I’ll take Paint," Tess offered, coming up on the opposite side.

Joe let her take the reins to his horse then wiggled around to a comfortable position in front of his brother. "I could handle her but I don’t mind riding with you, if it makes you feel better."

"It does." As soon as the words left his mouth, Adam felt a splash of rain on his face.

"Great," Hoss complained. "We’re in for it now."

"So we get wet. We have to keep moving." Adam gave Beauty a kick, harder than he should have, but the animal took it in stride, picking up the pace and advancing into the lead once more.

Within five minutes the sky opened up and it was like the day Noah built the ark. Adam hunkered down over Joe, protecting him as best he could against the driving rain. Tess bore the worst of it with her flowing hair and long dress soaking up the water. Hoss offered her his hat but she turned him down.

"Won’t do much good, so you might as well keep it."

Just when Adam thought they were living the worst, the fog rolled in, thick and heavy like a blanket hung on a clothesline.

"Be careful. Watch you don’t get too near the bank of the river and stay close together." Adam peered behind him. There was Tess but where was Hoss? "Hoss?"

"I’m here, I’m here." He emerged from the fog, met up with Adam then trotted ahead a bit. "Can’t see two feet in front of your face," he grumbled. "Maybe we oughta stop."

"I want to keep going. Just be careful."

Hoss disappeared again, enveloped in a shroud of mist.

"Adam," Joe said softly. "I wish we were home."

"Me too, scout. Me too."

"Hey!" Hoss’ voice came back at them through the fog. "Look at this. You won’t believe it!"

Praying it wasn’t more bad news, Adam spurred his horse into action. Hoss came into view first, then he saw the house. It was huge; two stories with a porch running around the first and second floor. There were fat, white columns holding up the second level and more windows than one house should have.

"Whoa!" Joe cried. "I’ve never seen a place like that."

"Me either," said Tess, as she rode up beside them.

"It’s a plantation house like they build in the south," said Adam. "Ma lived in one just like that back in New Orleans. Come on." Adam motioned for them all to ride forward just as another bolt of lightening lit the sky.

"Who do you suppose lives here?" Joe asked, suddenly all talk again. "Must be lots of people, right? Maybe it’s a hotel."

"I don’t think so."

"It looks deserted," said Tess.

Adam had to agree with her there. The land around the house was overgrown with vines climbing on to the porch and weeds choking what had once been flowers. The paint on the clapboards was chipped and peeling and even though the sun was setting, there were no lights in the windows.

"It’s a place to get out of the storm, that’s all I need to know." Adam climbed down from his horse, tethered her to the porch rail then lifted Joe out of the saddle. That done he pulled his rifle from the scabbard.

"Expecting trouble," asked Hoss.

"No." But Adam had learned his lesson back on the Larson farm, that day Joaquin came to visit. "Just like to have it handy, just in case."

Ever adventurous, Joe was already charging up to porch stairs. When he landed he gave one solid knock on the massive four-paneled door and that was all it took to send it creaking back on its hinges.

"Come back here!" Adam ordered in a harsh whisper.

"There’s no body home," Joe replied taking another step in instead of one back. "Just look."

Determined to stay between harm and his little brother, Adam ran up on to the porch, grabbed Joe by the collar then switched places with him.

The front door opened up in to a large foyer with a set of curved stairs on the right and an entranceway to the parlor on the left. A candled chandelier hung in the center of the foyer, once elegant and sparkling it was now covered in spider webs and dust. The tiled floor was also covered with dust and dried leaves blown in through the open door. Joe was right. No one had been home for a very long time.

"It’s magnificent!" Tess appeared at Adam’s elbow. "Look at the carvings around the ceiling."

"Look at the mess," said Hoss.

Adam and Tess sighed as one. "If you ever doubted we had different mothers…."

"I’m just being practical. All this fancy decorations don’t mean a thing compared to a good solid roof over our heads." Another roll of thunder punctuated his point, then the room lit up with a streak of lightening.

Joe scooted up to Adam’s side.

Tucking the rifle under his right arm, he wrapped his left around Joe’s shoulders. "Let’s have a look around."

Together they moved on to the great parlor that occupied one whole side of the massive house. There were six floor-to-ceiling windows on two walls and an enormous stone fireplace on a third. The room was furnished with velveteen couches and colonial cabinetry. As in the hall, everything here was covered with a layer of dust and cobwebs.

"My grandfather had furniture like this," said Adam. "Back in Boston." Letting go of Joe, he ran a gentle hand over the soft, now slightly damp upholstery of the nearest chair. He remembered sitting in a chair just like this one listening to his grandfather’s tales of the sea. It was a happy memory and a sad one, thinking of relatives he hadn’t seen in fifteen years and would likely never see again.

"This must be the fella that owns the place." Hoss pointed to an ornate oil painting that hung above the fireplace. It was a portrait of a stern, older man with a full beard and a wide, round face. He was dressed in a US Army Uniform and he was highly decorated. "Says his name is," Hoss squinted to see better in the dim light. "Captain Ezekiel Jackson."

"I’m glad he’s not my Pa!" said Little Joe. "Looks like he’d give you a whippin just for talkin’ at supper."

"I think you’re right." Feeling a bit more relaxed; Adam set the rifle down on the sideboard then took off his soaking wet hat and coat. "Hoss, why don’t you see if you can get a fire going."

"This lamp still has oil in it," Tess observed. "Do you have some dry matches?"

Adam searched his pockets, found some then tossed the box to her.

Joe began exploring. He opened the cabinet doors and peered at the variety of knick-knacks on the shelves. "I don’t get it. Why would they leave everything like this?"

"I don’t know," Adam replied. "Maybe they had to leave because of the war? Or they got sick and died.."

"Maybe Indians kidnapped them all," Joe suggested with way too much enthusiasm for Adam’s taste. Joe had never seen a real Indian, but Adam had. He had seen the destruction and the fury, he had seen them kill Hoss’ mother with an arrow to the heart.

"Those kinds of Indians don’t live out here. I’m going to go check upstairs." Adam took one of two lamps that Tess had lit.

"I want to come with you." Joe said, abandoning his search.

"Come on then." Adam led the way out of the main room but Joe was at his side as they climbed the stairs. The sound of the rain was louder on the upper floor. You could hear it pounding on the roof and tapping against the giant windows that took up almost every wall in the house.

"This place must have about a million rooms," said Joe.

"Not quite that many, but there certainly are a lot." Adam followed the upper hall to a set of double doors at the far end. Behind the doors was grand bedroom with a large four-poster bed, another fireplace and a ladies vanity still loaded with bottles of perfume.

Joe hopped up onto the bed. "This is great. I’ve never felt anything so soft. You have to try this." He rolled to his feet, bounced twice then flopped down on to his back again. "Sure beats sleeping in our old bunks."

Adam almost reprimanded the boy but his attention was drawn to an open chiffarobe. Setting the lamp on the vanity table, he peered inside at the clothes that still hung there: woman’s clothes, frilly dresses and satin gowns. Adam removed the first dress from the row, gave it a shake then held it out in front of him.

"It’s not really your color," said Joe.

"Smartee, go get Tess."

"This is a free territory, remember? No slaves."

Adam gave his little brother a look. "Just go to the top of the stairs and call her, please."

"Fine." Joe bounced once more then hopped from the bed and dashed out of the room.

As he waited, Adam examined the objects on the vanity table. A purple glass bottle of cologne, another made of brass, some pots and jars of colored paint and a silver hairbrush and comb set. He picked up the brush. There were strands of rust colored hair trapped in the bristles. The mistress of the house was a redhead.

"You wanted me," Tess asked as she entered the room.

"I thought you’d like to get out of that wet dress."

"I beg your pardon?"

Adam rolled his eyes at her then pointed to the open chiffarobe. "Not exactly your size but at least they’re dry."

Tess’s mouth dropped open as she took in the array of colors and fabrics. "I’ve only seen pictures…." She practically threw herself into the closet touching and caressing each and every dress. "This one," she pulled down a shiny gown that was dyed a dark red. "It’s made of shot silk." Tess held the dress closer to the lamp then turned it one way then the other. "See how the color changes in the light from bright ruby to a dark, blood red. They do that by using two colors of silk to weave the fabric. Only the finest dressmakers can afford it. This dress must have cost a fortune." She tore her eyes from the gown and found Adam looking at her with an amused gleam in his eyes. "I know, it’s just a dress."

"Obviously, a very special dress. Put it on."

"Do you think I should? I mean, they belong to someone."

"Even if that someone was coming back, which I doubt, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind you changing, in light of your present condition." Which was similar to that of a drowning rat. "I’m going to check the other rooms. Will you be all right up here by yourself?"

"Are you kidding? I may never come down."

Taking the lamp Tess had brought with her, Adam left the main bedroom and moved on to the next. That room and the one beside it were sparsely furnished and there weren’t as many signs of the person who had occupied them. He found some men’s clothing, extra large, Captain Jackson’s summer wear from the look of it and he found a few items in a smaller size. Clothes that would fit he and Hoss if they needed to change as well. Funny.

The last room on the floor was a nursery complete with cradle and rocker and fairy tale paintings on the walls. The redhead had a son. Where were they?

Where was Joe?

Carrying the lamp, he made his way back downstairs.

* * * * *

Hoss was still in the parlor but he had succeeded in building a roaring fire in the fireplace.

"That feels good," Adam said as he stationed himself in front of the blaze.

"I figured we were stayin’ the night, so I brought in the saddle bags and I put out a bucket to catch the rain water for us to drink. Only problem is, we don’t have much food, just some apples and jerky."

"Well, maybe there’s some food in the kitchen that’s safe to eat. They left everything else behind, so why not."

Hoss nodded in agreement but his mind had already moved on to other things. "Adam, Pa’s gonna be real worried."

"I know, but what else can we do? We’ll stay here for the night and in the morning, if the storm slows down we’ll head out again. Then we’ll cross the river or go around the lake, just like we planned." Adam’s eyes shifted past his big brother. "Look at you."

Hoss turned to see what was behind him and when he did his mouth dropped open wide. "Tess? You look…..you look….like I don’t know what!"

"I know what," said Adam. "You look like a princess."

And she did. The dress, which had appeared too big as it hung in the closet, fit her perfectly, particularly in the tight fit of the waist. Even in the dim lamplight, the color of the dress twinkled and changed when she moved all the while casting a sweet, red glow across her cheeks.

"I feel like a princess. This dress, it’s so silky and soft and look at the way it fits. It’s like it was made just for me."

"Well as the lady of the house," said Hoss, "Could you see what you could do about rustling up some supper. I’m starving."

"Dear me, and I just gave the servants the night off. Guess I’ll have to do it myself. Maybe there are some can goods in the kitchen."

A heavy roll of thunder shook the windows in the parlor. Adam expected Joe to come running but he didn’t. "Where’s Little Joe?"

"He went upstairs with you," said Hoss.

"I sent him down here to get Tess but he never came back."

"I heard him call me but he wasn’t upstairs when I got there. Tell you what. You two look for Joe. I’ll look for food." Carrying a lamp, Tess went back in to the foyer then went down under the stairs in search of the kitchen.

"I don’t know where Joe could have gotten to." Adam wandered into the hall with Hoss on his heels. "He wasn’t in any of the rooms upstairs and he certainly wouldn’t have gone outside in the storm."

"Maybe he’s hiding on purpose, as a joke."

"With all this thunder and lightening?" They both knew that wasn’t likely. Even though Joe pretended to be apathetic they knew it was false bravado.

"Adam, you don’t think…I mean…I’m glad we found this place but..it is a little creepy, isn’t it?"

Tess’s scream kept Adam from answering.

* * * * *

After calling for Tess, Joe turned to head back to the main bedroom but a voice from another room caught his attention.

"All aboard! All aboard for Baton Rouge."

He followed the voice to the first room at the mouth of the stair. A baby’s room from the look of it. It was dark but he could just make out the outline of a cradle and rocking chair. Moving into the room, he set his hand on the arm of the chair then gave a small push. The chair rocked forward and back; just like Ma when she read to them back…before.

"Last call for Baton Rouge. Last call."

Joe followed the voice to the furthest wall. There weren’t any windows here, just a painting of a knight and a dragon and a life-sized castle, life-sized for a little boy, anyway. He moved closer to the painting. It all looked so real he thought he could step inside. Gently, he touched his fingers to the castle door and that was all it took for it to swing open.

Wide-eyed with wonder, Joe stepped into the castle and found himself in a dream come true. The room behind the wall was filled with toys. There were shelves full of puppets and stuffed animals. There were blocks built into a great tower, a doll’s house, a rocking horse, a drum and a horn. On the floor was a railroad track with a sturdy black steam engine with six gaily-decorated cars. The track was so large Joe could lie down in the center of the circle without his hands or feet touching the tracks. That was where he wanted to be. That was were the toy soldiers were. Dozens of them, made of metal, painted to match the uniforms of the US and the Mexican armies.

Joe laid down on his stomach next to a regiment of Mexican soldiers. He chose the proudest of the bunch then moved him to the center of the circle.

"I am Carlos Rivera de Vega and I have come to defend my land!" He sifted through a pile of American soldiers, chose two of the best, then set them up in front of Carlos. "It is no longer your land, greaser. This is America." ‘Carlos’ slapped one of the soldiers, knocking him to the ground. "How dare you call me that. I am an officer!"

"All aboard for Baton Rouge." The little boy dropped to his stomach facing Joe, but on the outside of the railroad track. "Better hurry or you’ll miss the train."

"We didn’t think anybody lived here," said Joe.

"Better hurry or you’ll miss the train." The boy made a chug-chug-chug sound as he pushed the engine along the track.

"You said that all ready."

"Too late. Have to catch the next one. Got a schedule to keep." The boy got to his knees then crawled along the length of the track keeping the train in motion.

"You have a lot of toys," said Joe. "I don’t have so many, but I have my own horse. She was wild but I broke her, easy as that."

"Choo-choo, chuga chuga chuga." The boy turned the curve at the base of the circle then started back up the other side. "Buy your tickets. Get your tickets for New Orleans."

"My Ma was born in New Orleans."

The train stopped and so did the boy. "My Ma was born in New Orleans."

"That’s what I said."

"That’s what I said."

Joe sat back on his heels. The boy began pushing the train around the track.

"My Ma is dead," said Joe.

The boy stopped. The train stopped. "My Ma is dead."

"You’re just copying me like a baby." Joe picked up ‘Carlos’. "I know a real Mexican soldier. He lives on our ranch."

"Real soldier. Buy your tickets now. Time for the soldiers to get on board. Whoo, whoo, chuga, chuga, chuga. Don’t miss the train. Don’t miss the train."

Joe laid back down on his stomach then began preparing the soldiers to board.

* * * * *

The kitchen floor was on fire.

Adam and Hoss pulled off their shirts then used them to beat down the blaze. At first glance it looked much worse than it really was. The floor itself wasn’t burning; it was the scattering of dried leaves and dust that covered the floor that was going up in flames. Both boys worked hard and fast stomping out the smaller embers while whipping out the larger ones with the fabric of their shirts and within a few minutes the fire was out.

"Are you all right?" Adam said rushing to Tess’ aide.

"I’m fine. Really."

"What happened?"

"I climbed up on chair to light that lamp," she said, pointing to a glowing fixture above the kitchen table. "When I stepped back down something ran over my feet. It startled me and I jumped and bumped into the table and knocked over the oil lamp."

"It was probably a rat," said Hoss. The kitchen was filthy, there were dirty dishes piled up on the table and the remains of a ham on the counter. There were animal droppings all over the counters and the floor and there was a dead squirrel in the corner.

"The door between the kitchen and hall was stuck shut but the back door was wide open," said Tess.

"Every animal in the forest has probably been through here." Adam spotted a broom near the back door. He used it to remove the dead squirrel, then he shut the door and locked it. The idea of searching for food in this rat’s nest was enough to turn his stomach but there was no telling how long they’d be stuck in the house, so it only made sense to look. "Hoss, why don’t you and Tess go through the cabinets. Collect up anything we can use, food, matches, anything. I’m going to look for Joe."

Adam put his shirt back on but found it was pretty well singed. He thought of the clothes he had found upstairs, then added that on the list of things to do after he found Joe and punished him for making them all worry.

Instead of going back the way he came, Adam pushed through a swinging door that led from the kitchen to the formal dining room. If the kitchen was bad, this room was worse. The table was still set, dinner for three, plates, forks, expensive crystal glassware still filled with red wine. There was food on the plates, or rather the remains of food, crumbs and bits of gristle, a single carrot and a hardened loaf of bread.

"What happened?"

"Don’t!"

Adam whirled at the sound of a woman’s cry. "Tess?"

The girl poked her head through the doorway and was immediately sorry. "Yuck. You called me here to see this?"

"I heard you shout," said Adam.

"I didn’t shout. It must have been the wind. It’s really picking up out there."

Adam nodded.

"Go back to what you were doing. I’ll meet you in the parlor after I find Joe."

"Adam, I’m sure he’s all right. You know how he loves to explore."

"When I do find him, he’s going to be exploring a corner with his nose for the rest of the night." Then he sent Tess back to the kitchen before continuing through the dining room and into the rooms beyond.

* * * * *

"Joe! Joe where are you?"

Adam’s voice filtered through the walls of the playroom and tickled Joe inside the ear.

"That’s my big brother," he explained to the boy. "Sometimes he’s real bossy, but mostly he’s all right." Joe scrambled to his feet, hopped over the on-coming train, then pushed open the door to the nursery. "I’m in here."

A moment later, Adam appeared in the doorway he looked relieved and angry all at the same time.

"Where have you been? I’ve been searching the whole house for you." Adam was seriously tempted to grab the boy and give him a whack on the behind but his relief at having found him was quickly overriding the anger.

"I’ve been right here. It’s a playroom, come look."

Adam stepped closer to the mural on the wall. It was a magnificent painting; knights and dragons, just the kind of adventures he liked to read about in his books.

"See," Joe went on. "The castle door really is a door and wait until you what’s inside."

Adam had to duck his head to cross over the child-sized threshold but once beyond the castle wall he was able to stand up straight. One look and he could see why Joe had vanished for so long. The room looked like a fancy Boston toyshop and most of the toys looked as if they came with a fancy Boston price tag as well. The ceiling in the room was painted to resemble a night sky with stars that glowed thanks to three bright lamps on either side of the room, lamps that were a good six feet up on each wall.

"How did you light those lamps?"

"I didn’t. They were lit when I came in here. The boy must have done it."

"The boy?"

"There was a boy. We were playing together. He was playing with the train and I was playing with the toy soldiers. Look." Joe scooped up a handful of tin men then offered them to his brother. "Mexican and American soldiers. I thought this one looked like Carlos."

Adam nodded without ever looking down at the toy. There was something not right here and it started a whole new rumble of worry in his stomach. "Come on. Let’s go back downstairs."

"But why? I want to play some more," Joe whined.

"Then bring the toys downstairs with you. I want everybody where I can see them, especially you."

"There you go being bossy again. Joe set the soldiers back on the floor. "I don’t think the boy would like it if I took his toys."

Adam dropped to one knee, then caught Little Joe by the shoulders. "You didn’t really see a boy in here. You’re just pretending, right?"

"I am not pretending. He was here. He was playing with the train. All aboard for Baton Rouge. That’s what he said. I’ll bet that’s a city near New Orleans. Isn’t it?"

"Yes and so?"

"How would I know that if I didn’t hear it from the boy?"

Adam wasn’t buying. "You could have picked that up from anywhere. Ma probably mentioned it. Come on. Hoss and Tess are looking for food and I think it’s time you settled down for the night." He set his hand on the back of Joe’s neck, then steered him toward the doorway.

"All aboard. All aboard for Baton Rouge." The voice was so soft, Adam was sure it was his mind playing tricks. Sure until Joe turned back with a big smile on his face.

"See," he said. "I told you."

*******

"I found peaches. Honest to goodness peaches, except I can’t get the lid off the jar. Could you…" Tess stopped speaking when she realized that Hoss wasn’t listening. He was standing in front of the fireplace starring up at the portrait of Captain Jackson. "Hoss, could you open this jar for me?" She gave him a tug on the sleeve. "Hoss?"

Finally he turned to face her. "You needed something?"

Tess offered him the jar. "I need some muscle. Now what’s so interesting about the old Captain?"

"Dunno." Hoss opened the jar with almost no effort. "There’s just something about him…so when’s dinner?"

"Dinner is right now." Tess waved her arm at an assemblage of cans and jars on the settee table. "I was going to clean up the dining room but I couldn’t face the task."

"Can’t say as I blame you." Hoss’s gaze shifted to the entranceway. "I see you found him."

Adam entered the room, carrying some clothing and nudging Joe along ahead of him. "I brought you a change," he said as he tossed a shirt to Hoss. "A little musty but it’s dry." Adam began unbuttoning his own shirt so he could change as well.

"Don’t tell me," Hoss gave the shirt a shake. "You raided Captain Jackson’s wardrobe." The style was definitely suited to an older man but the size was a good match.

"I found the neatest playroom upstairs," Joe said bringing everyone’s attention back to him. "It was full of toys and I talked to a ghost."

"A ghost?" Tess’s face lit up with a wide smile of adventure. "You actually saw a ghost?"

"Yep." Joe swiped a can of beans and a fork from the table then climbed onto the couch to eat. "He was a boy, just like me. Guess he used to live here."

Hoss looked to Adam for confirmation of this story, but the elder Cartwright only shrugged in response.

"I had a feeling this place was haunted," Tess said as she helped herself to some peaches. "Do you suppose there are more ghosts? I’d love to see one."

"You’re crazy," Hoss replied as he too dived into the food. "There’s no such things as ghosts. Little Joe’s just pulling your leg."

"I am not," Joe protested. "Adam heard him. Tell ‘em."

"I heard something but it was probably just the wind." Adam grabbed the chair nearest the fire, then pulled it to one side. Then he moved a table and a smaller chair opening a large space in front of the hearth. "We can set our bedrolls up right here for the night."

"Bedrolls!" Joe whined. "We’re going to sleep on the floor when there are great, big comfy beds upstairs?"

"That’s right. I want everyone together in one place."

Little Joe made a face at his oldest brother, but only Hoss saw it. "I got an idea. Why don’t we bring the mattresses and stuff down here? Then we can be comfortable and still stay together?"

"That’s a good idea. I’ll help!" Joe jumped to his feet but Adam kept him from charging out of the room.

"You eat. I’ll get the mattresses."

Joe lifted his eyes upward to meet his brother’s gaze then the devil in his eyes disappeared and something else took its place. "Aren’t you gonna eat? There’s plenty."

"I’m not hungry just now. Maybe later."

Joe turned his head to the right, his eyes falling on Tess or more accurately the dress she was wearing. "You’re dead."

"What?" Adam dropped to Joe’s eye level blocking his view of the girl. "What did you say?"

"She’s dead. The lady. His Ma. That was her dress but she’s dead now. I expect she won’t be wanting it back." Joe returned to the couch, picked up his food and went on eating.

For a moment, the other three of them just stood there watching as if afraid the child might tear off his skin to reveal a hideous beast. When nothing of the sort happened they went on about their business, accepting it as a prank.

"I’m going to go upstairs and get those mattresses," Adam said. "Hoss, keep an eye on things."

"Will do."

* * * *

Adam pulled the blanket and pillows off the bed then yanked the feather mattress off the bed frame. That was when he felt the chill run up his spine, then a soft tickle on his neck. It was as if someone were playing with the curls of hair that had grown a bit too long in back.

"Ezra."

Adam turned and there she was, the redhead, barely dressed in a thin nightgown that hung low in the front and off her shoulders.

"I can’t let you go and yet I know I must."

Adam blinked his eyes then refocused, sure it was a trick of the dim light. There was a gown hanging on the back of the door that, combined with Joe’s ghostly tales had created the vision before him.

"What are we going to do?" She reached out her hand. A soft breeze caressed his cheek. "I want to come with you, but what of my son? What kind of life would it be for him to know his mother was felled by passion?"

Slowly Adam raised his own hand. He moved forward a step then, another. His fingers passed clean through her, then she through him. It stole his breath away leaving him empty and gasping for what felt like eternity. Then she was gone. Adam crossed his arms over his chest to stop the shaking in his hands but then he looked down at the billowy sleeves of the shirt he was wearing. A dandy’s shirt, a poet or a painter. Ezra?

"Adam?"

It was Tess. Had it always been Tess standing there in front of him?

"You’ve been gone a long time. Is everything all right?"

"Yeah. Grab the blankets and the pillows, will you? I’ll get the mattress."

Part Five

"Adam, aren’t you coming to bed?"

Adam turned his eyes away from the fire. Joe was sitting up on the mattress closest to him. It was the biggest of the three mattresses, one he had fully intended to share with the boy but as the evening wore on he found he just couldn’t bring himself to turn in. Tess was sound asleep on the next mattress over and Hoss, snoring soundly on the one after that.

He wanted to go to sleep. It was a battle keeping his eyes open but it seemed important that he stay awake. Someone had to stay awake and it was his job to watch over them…wasn’t it?

"I’ll be along in a bit. Go back to sleep."

"That’s what you said hours and hours ago."

Adam glanced at the mantel clock, which was still keeping good time. "You only went to bed an hour ago."

Joe flopped back down on the mattress. "Feels like longer. Do you think Pa’s really worried?"

"I’m sure he is."

"But he trusts you to take care of us," Joe supplied.

Adam leaned down from his chair and gave the boys hair a toss. "Go back to sleep. I’ll lay down in a bit. I promise."

Accepting this answer, Joe rolled to his side and miraculously he was sound asleep within minutes. Adam wished he could fall asleep so easily, not just on this night, but most nights of late. Back home, he would lay in bed, his mind full of questions and very few answers. His eyes closed but he forced them open again.

Captain Jackson was looking down at him and he wasn’t happy. That was the last thought Adam had before he fell asleep in the chair.

* * * *

He couldn’t breath. Something was crushing his chest, crushing his windpipe. Hands. Strong hands wrapped around his throat. Adam lifted his arms to push the person away but the man was too strong, too set on what he was doing. Too far gone to stop.

"Hoss!" A female voice then another voice, high-pitched but younger. Joe? "What are you doing! Let him go!"

Forcing his eyes open Adam recognized the face of his brother, but not his brother’s face at all. His expression was twisted with hatred and anger. His usually gentle eyes were filed with fire and from his lips fell foul words.

"Stop it! Stop it!" Little Joe screamed as he yanked at Hoss’s left arm. Tess was pulling at the big boy’s right arm but they were like flies on a horse, nothing but a nuisance.

Adam tried to speak his brother’s name but the word came out as a hoarse cry. The room was starting to spin, the voices sounded muddy.

"Tess! Do something!" Joe shouted.

With no choice left, she did. The girl grabbed the fireplace shovel then used it to strike Hoss in the back. She didn’t hit him very hard but it was enough to draw his attention. He let go of Adam but turned on Tess. She raised the shovel ready to hit him again if need be but after wavering for a moment Hoss dropped to his knees and stayed there.

Adam leaned forward, his entire body shaking as he gasped for breath. Joe wrapped an arm around his brother’s shoulders offering words of comfort and reassuring pats as Tess stood guard with her trusty shovel.

Hoss slipped from kneeling to sitting then buried his face in his hands. "I didn’t mean to….I didn’t know…I just didn’t."

Adam reached out to give his brother a pat on the shoulder. "I know you didn’t. Must have been a nightmare… just a bad dream. Man, you are strong."

Confident that things were under control, Tess returned the shovel to its holder. "I’m sorry I hit you, Hoss. I just didn’t know what else to do."

"No, you did right. I don’t what came over me it was like…" Hoss stared at his own, two, powerful hands and suddenly he couldn’t go on.

"Forget it. We all wish we were home and with the storm and everything, we’re on edge. I’m fine." Adam stood up then filled his lungs just to make sure he could. "Just go back to bed. We have to get an early start in the morning." He stepped around his brother then left the parlor.

Hoss sighed but it sounded more like a moan. "Tess, I swear, I never did anything like that before. I could have killed him."

"No, you would have stopped. I’m sure of it."

Joe sat down in the chair Adam had vacated. "I don’t think I can sleep anymore tonight. I vote we all just stay up until the sun rises."

"You got my vote," said Hoss.

Tess added her voice. "Me too."

* * * * *

Adam stood on the front porch watching the last drops of rain trickle down the lip of the roof. He filled his lungs with the fresh, pine scented air, then shivered at the chill it brought to his body.

How many hours until dawn? They could set out at first light and be home before breakfast. That was comforting thought.

"Adam, are you sure you’re all right?" Tess appeared at his side.

"I’m fine."

She stepped in front of him, directly into a shaft of moonlight. Her dress, now disheveled by sleep, shimmered in the yellowish glow and her eyes sparkled to match. Gently, she touched her fingers to Adam’s throat. "There’s a bruise."

He knew that without her saying so. His throat ached even under such a light touch. "I’m fine."

"You keep saying that, but I don’t believe you." Her fingers left his throat then her lips took their place. It was the softest kiss, just a butterfly setting down on a delicate flower. Adam leaned back against one of the sturdy porch posts as his eyes slid closed with a will of their own.

"He’ll kill you if he finds out."

"He won’t find out." Adam wrapped his arms around Tess and when she lifted her face to him he took her. His fingers tangled in her hair, catching her, holding her still and just so as he ravished her mouth with his. He could feel the rapid rise and fall of her chest. Like a desperate climber trying to find a hold, her fingers knotted in the fabric of his shirt and in that moment there wasn’t a hair’s room between them.

I’m gonnnnnaaa tellllll-elllll

The sing-songy voice rode on the wind.

Adam broke the kiss, nearly gasping for breath.

Little Joe was standing in the doorway. "I’m gonna tell."

Tess.

Adam grabbed her by the shoulders and shoved her an arm’s length away. He knew what she was thinking, he could read it in the rush of red that was rising in her cheeks.

"Adam, what’s going on?"

"I don’t know. It was like…"

Tess took a step backwards removing herself from his grip. "It’s like you were someone else. I wasn’t even thinking I just…"

"It’s alright. At least you weren’t trying to kill me."

Tess smiled weakly then wrapped her arms around herself. "I don’t usually go around kissing boys just like that…especially not like that. It’s not that, I mean. I don’t." The words stopped and tears began to fall down her face.

"No, don’t cry." Adam scooped her into his arms once more but this time he held her as a sister and not a lover. "We’ll leave here in the morning and all of this will have been forgotten. Maybe it isn’t really happening. Maybe one of us is having a really strange dream."

"What’s going on?"

The sound of Hoss’ voice startled Adam, sending his pulse to racing for the third time that evening. "I wish I knew brother. I wish I knew." Then he noticed the look on Hoss’ face, the way he was eyeing Tess still bundled in Adam’s arms. "It’s not what you’re thinking."

Hoss shoved his hands deep in his pockets to hide what were surely clenched fists. "Ever since that carnival you’ve turned into quite the mind reader."

Tess wiggled out of Adam’s embrace, then ran her hand across her tear stained cheeks. "Stop it. We’re all mixed up. Don’t you see that, Hoss? You tried to choke Adam and then I…did some strange things too. It’s this house. I think we should leave. Right now."

"Tess, we can’t go running off in the dark. It’s too dangerous."

"And staying here is safe? This place is haunted!" Too frustrated to say another word, Tess pushed past Hoss then disappeared into the house leaving the brothers alone on the porch.

"There are no such things as ghosts!" Hoss shouted.

Thunder shook the house then lightening streaked across the sky.

"Oh yeah?" said Adam, "Try telling him that."

Hoss followed his brother’s pointing finger. There at the end of the porch was a boy no bigger than Joe but dressed in fancy clothes and knee-britches. He was playing with a whirly-gig, drawing a thin stick up and down the length of another making the wing at the top spin faster and faster.

"All aboard for Baton Rouge. Captain Jacks is coming home. All aboard. Nobody knows he’s coming." The toy fell to the ground. The boy looked directly at them. "Nobody knows he’s coming. Gonna be a surprise for mama. Gonna be a big surprise."

"I’m gonnnnaaaa telllllll-ellll." This voice came from behind them. It was Little Joe standing at the other end of the porch. "Captain Jacks is coming. Big surprise." Then he laughed before running off around the side of the house.

Turning back they saw that the other boy was gone as well.

"Adam?"

"Hmmm?"

"I believe in ghosts."

* * * * * * *

The storm was worse than ever. Rain pelted the house with an all new fury as thunder and lightening filled the air. Joe came tearing out of the parlor and straight into Adam’s arms as he stood in the foyer.

"Now we’re getting back to normal."

"I thought the storm was over," Joe complained.

"How’d you get in and out of the house," asked Hoss. "You didn’t come by us."

"Are you crazy? I never left the house. I’ve been sitting in that chair by the fire since you all ran out on me."

"Forget it," Adam said, cutting off Hoss’ next comment. "I say we all go back into the parlor, find a seat and stay awake until morning."

"I’m getting out of this dress first," said Tess. "Suddenly it doesn’t seem so elegant." She started for the stairs but Adam stopped her.

"Wait a minute, I don’t want you going off by yourself."

"Well, I hope you don’t expect me to change clothes in front of you boys."

"Fine then we’ll all just go upstairs and we’ll wait in the hall while you change." This solution seemed to suit, so Tess and Hoss each grabbed a lamp then they headed up the stairs together.

"Adam," Joe asked, still clinging to his brother’s side. "They’re all dead, aren’t they?"

"I expect so."

"Why doesn’t everybody become a ghost when they die?"

That was a toughie. "I guess some people have no need to stay around. Their business is done here so they can move on."

"To heaven?"

Adam gave the boy a squeeze. "To heaven." They reached the top of the stairs then followed Tess down the hall to the main bedroom.

"I’ll just be a minute. Don’t go anywhere," she cautioned before stepping inside the great room.

"Not going anywhere," Hoss replied. "Not going anywhere."

 

* * * *

Tess found her dress hanging over a chair by the window. She didn’t recall putting it there but she assumed Adam had moved it when he pulled apart the bedding. A bolt of lightening lit the room. Tess unhooked the clasps at the front of the dress then let it fall from her shoulders. As beautiful as it was, she was happy to be rid of it and back into her plain cotton, still slightly damp clothing.

Thump. Thump. A shutter banging against the house, no doubt.

Tess settled the dress over her hips, then began doing the buttons up the front. Suddenly the windows flew open suctioned out by the force of the storm. Rain blew in through the opening smacking her in the face and soaking her finally dry hair. "Oh no you don’t." Tess leaned out the window, stretching her arms to catch the knobs on the two frames.

Thump. Thump.

She turned to her right and saw the form, a large shadow banging back against the house. Then lightening lit the sky and she saw it for what it was, the body of a man swinging at the end of a long rope.

* * * *

Tess’ scream brought Adam and Hoss on the run. Joe, however, couldn’t seem to get his feet to move. He stayed there in the hall too frightened to breath.

"Captain Jacks is home." The little boy grabbed Joe by the arm. "Got to hide. He’s ever so mad."

"Mad? Why? Why is he mad?"

"I told. I shouldn’t have told. I thought it would make things better but I only made it worse." He pulled harder on Joe’s arm. "Gotta do what we gotta do. Gotta make it all right. Too late to go back now."

* * * *

"There’s a man, a body, outside the window."

Adam stuck his head out the window, gave a quick look around then pulled the double window shut once more. "There’s nothing out there, Tess. It must have been a trick of the light."

"I saw him. A big man." She turned her gaze to Hoss. "Captain Jackson, from the painting downstairs. It was him. He was hanging from a noose outside that window."

"Well he’s not there now. So if you’re done, lets get back downstairs." Adam headed for the door, peered into the hall then sighed. No Joe. "Now where has he gone off to?"

"Just as well." Hoss picked up the vanity stool then used it to knock his brother unconscious.

* * *

"Don’t Jacks. Don’t do this. You’ve got it all wrong. There’s nothing between us."

The woman’s voice filled Adam’s head. It sounded like Tess but not Tess. How very, very strange.

"Hoss, please! Listen to me. Look at what you’re doing."

Adam felt himself falling, then he collided with the cold, hard floor; a different room, colder, damper, musty smelling. The attic. He opened his eyes and attempted to sit but he was halted by a boot on his chest.

"You’re not going nowhere, boy. Nowhere at all." Hoss was standing over him and he had Tess firmly by the upper arm. "Didn’t expect me so home so early this time, did you woman? Thought you had plenty of time to be alone with your lover. Well time’s run out for both of you. Think I didn’t hear the snickering from the folks in town. Think I didn’t smell him on you when I came home? And it wasn’t bad enough you had to cheat on me, but you didn’t have the decency to keep it from the boy." Hoss pressed down harder with his boot forcing Adam to gasp for breath.

"Get off of him," Tess shouted. "You’re hurting him! Stop it." She pulled and tugged but even with his usual strength she was no match for Hoss. "Please, listen to me. Listen."

"Listen to what? More lies? More excuses? It’s over. It’s over for both of you."

"No! Not my Ma!" Little Joe came flying out of the darkness. He launched himself on Hoss and that was just one distraction too many.

Hoss took his foot off of Adam, giving the elder Cartwright a chance to roll away. Little Joe was lifted off the floor but he had a solution for that too; a shiny tin soldier with a tiny bayonet. He jabbed the sharp, metal toy into Hoss’ arm, once then twice finally drawing blood.

"You little….this is what you wanted…isn’t it. Isn’t this why you told me about them, so I’d make it stop?"

"I didn’t want you to kill them! I just wanted us to be a family again! I wanted us to be together." Joe swung the small soldier at his brother’s face but before he made contact Hoss flung him across the room. Joe would have landed on his feet but Adam was in the way, the two collided for a split second, then the boy tried to right himself. His small body hit the window frame and the wind did the rest. The double windows flew open behind his back.

Tess screamed as Adam dived for his little brother. There didn’t seem to be enough time. Not enough time to untangle himself, turn, rise and catch him but in that second time seemed to stand still. When Joe should have been falling, he stayed still, almost hovering until Adam got his hands on the boy’s arms. He pulled Joe toward him, so hard they both went crashing to the floor in a heap. Adam didn’t mind. His ribs were sore, his body hurt, but still he held his little brother as tight as he could manage while whispering a prayer of thanks to the lord.

"It was all my fault." The boy climbed up on the window ledge. "It was all my fault." Then he fell.

* * *

Tess flopped down in the big chair in front of the fireplace her eyes on the painting that hung above the mantel. "I guess the old Captain killed his wife and her beau then hanged himself outside the attic window."

Hoss stopped in front of the fireplace as well, but he didn’t look up at the painting. "Jacks couldn’t live without his son. That’s why he killed himself. "He didn’t much care for the woman he married but he dearly loved his boy."

"Sounds like more than a guess on your part," said Adam.

"Don’t worry. Now that I’m back in my own dirty shirt, the Captain’s long gone." He swung his arm out catching Adam with a friendly slap to the chest.

"Ow!"

"Sorry."

"Just wait until I explain these bruises to Pa."

Hoss’ relieved expression turned to worry. "You’re not going to tell him what happened, are you?"

"He wouldn’t believe me if I did."

"It stopped raining," Joe announced with his face pressed to the massive front window. "The sun’ll be up soon enough. I think we should get out of here."

"I second that," said Tess.

Adam had to agree. The thought of setting out in the dark was a much less scary than the idea of staying put. "Let’s pack up the gear."

The three of them got to work, but Joe stayed where he was with his nose pressed to the glass.

"What’s so interesting outside that window?" Adam asked as he stuffed his saddlebags with the leftover food and candles.

Finally Joe tore his gaze away from the glass. "Nothing. Are we ready?"

"Yep, just grab your saddlebags and let’s go."

Tess and Hoss were the first two to leave. Adam, loaded down with bedrolls and bags, began blowing out the lamps. Joe opened his saddlebag, checked to make sure Adam’s back was turned then moved the tin soldiers from his pockets into the open bag.

"All aboard. All aboard for Baton Rouge."

The last lamp went out plunging the room into near darkness.

"Did you say something, Joe?"

"Me? Nope. Not a thing."

 

The End?