The Father's Day Gift

By Tennessee

 

Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe wanted to write a book for Pa for Father's Day. Adam told his brothers, "We don't know much about Pa's childhood. I wrote Uncle Ed but he had Will, his son, write back because he said he didn't want to think about his pa or his childhood. So I'm thinking we should all three write about Pa in our own words, about him being a father a friend."

 

Hoss said, "Adam you should go first. You're his first-born son.

 

Adam said, "OK, but we should go to the lake or somewhere to write our parts, all right?"

 

"OK," his brothers answered.

 

Adam got his chores done early the next day and went to the lake and sat down on a rock and started to write:

 

Pa, my brothers and I love the books you made for us, so for Father's Day we wanted to make you a book. We will call this book 'Our Pa, Ben Cartwright." We don't know much about your childhood. All we know is the stories you've told us, and that's not much. So we will write in our own words about how much we love you, Pa. Being your first-born, I'll go first. I've been with you the longest.

 

You have always been there for me. When I was four years old and got all dirty even after you'd told me not to, you just cleaned me up and kissed my cheek. If it was not for you I would not know anything about my ma, but you always tell me stories about her and I feel like I know her thanks to you. It must have been hard to lose Ma and take care of me by yourself.

 

You always made time for me whenever I needed to talk to you. I remember that one time at school I got into a fight and you were so mad. You made me stay in my room and I got mad at you, Pa. And then there was the time I ran away from home. You gave me time to calm down and come home. I knew you followed me, Pa. I saw you try to hide behind a tree.

 

One time I lied to you about taking a piece of cake you'd made, but the frosting was all over my face so you knew I was lying. You told me never to lie to you again or I'd be in so much trouble. "Yes, Pa," I said, and then you made me write twenty-five times, "I will not lie to Pa."

 

Pa, what I'm trying to say is because of you I know not to lie. You've showed me how to be a good man. You showed me you have to be honest about everything. If you want a friend, you need to be a friend first, you taught me that. I want to be a man like you, a man that people can look up to, and I want to be a friend to everyone. When people say "Adam Cartwright" I want them to light up like I see them do when people say "Ben Cartwright." I'm so proud of you, Pa. I love you. Adam.

 

Adam rode home and gave the book to Hoss. Hoss went to his favorite place in the woods to write his part.

 

I'm your middle son. A lot of people think because I'm so big they can call me names and I don't feel nothing. I remember when kids called me a giant and you comforted me. I know I'm big because my ma was so tall. Just hearing your talk about my ma warms my heart. She must have been a real neat lady the way you talk about her. Pa, you say I look like Ma, but I think I look like you. And that makes me real proud, Pa. I want you to know I will be the kind of man you brought me up to be. And if I ever get married I will love my wife with all my heart. And if I'm ever a pa I will teach my children right and teach them to be great men and women. Pa, the name Ben Cartwright means something to everyone. Everyone in town knows you and respect you. So do me and my brothers. We love you, Pa. Hoss.

 

Hoss gave the book to Little Joe, and Joe went to his ma's grave and sat down and opened the book. He started to write.

 

Pa, I'm your youngest son, and I know I had my ma longer than my brothers had their ma's, but it still hurts when I think about my ma. Pa, you always talk to me when I need you and you tuck me in at night. If I can't sleep, all I have to do is come to your bedroom door and wake you up and you put your arms around me and we can talk about my ma and you make me feel better. I'm so glad you're my pa. I like your smile. When people say "Joe Cartwright' I want them to see that I'm a good man like my pa and my brothers. I love you, Pa. Little Joe.

 

"I'm done," Joe told his brothers when they rode up. Adam took the book and wrote a note at the end:

 

Pa, we all love you, and we want to grow up to be the kind of man you are. We love the Ponderosa and working with you. Happy Father's Day, Pa. Love, your three sons, Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe. The End.

 

They wrapped the book. On Father's Day they put Ben's book next to his coffee cup and went outside to do their chores so Pa could enjoy his day.

 

Ben came to the table, saw the gift, opened it, and read with tears of joy in his eyes. He said, "Hop Sing, look what my sons made for me."

 

Hop Sing smiled and said, "Mr. Cartwright, your sons love you very much."

 

"I know," Ben said.

 

The boys came in and gave Pa a hug.

 

"This is the best gift I could have received. Thank you."

 

Adam said, "We wanted to write a book about you, but we didn't know much about your childhood."

 

Ben said, "This is better because this is something that came from your hearts. That is special to me. I love all of you."

 

Ben had a happy Father's Day.

 

The End