The Contest

By Tennessee

 

Miss Brown and the school kids worked hard all school year. They thought about their recent field trip and the snow and cave sometimes and they all wrote papers about their experience. One day the weather turned hot and they went outside and did their school work under a tree.

Miss Brown said, "Class, it is almost the end of the school year. I think we should have a fun day. What about a contest between teams? I thought that would be fun. What do you all think?"

Tess asked, "What kind of contest?"

Miss Brown smiled and said, "Looking for clues to lead you to something. Each team will have a map, and each map will have clues. The first team to get all the clues wins the game. And a prize."

Ann said, "What about the girls on one team and the boys on the other?"

Everyone said it was a great idea.

Miss Brown said, "I will make out the maps tonight." Big Dan helped with drawing the maps. The clues were the same for both teams. The girls had to get to the red flag and the boys the blue. Big Dan went out at daybreak to put the clues out.

Once the school kids arrived, Miss Brown said, "I was thinking we need on lady to go with the girls. I asked Ruth to go with the girls. The boys need a man to go with them so I asked Ben Cartwright. He said he could not spare the time away from the ranch so Adam is taking his place. Have fun class. Let the contest begin! Adam will read the first clue."

Adam read, "The sun will lead you to the first clue." The sun shone on the nearby water. Everyone was off. Little Joe and the boys ran faster, but the girls got there right after the boys.

Hoss said, "There are the flags on the rocks in the water."

Adam read the second clue, "The sky is so blue and the birds sing sweet. The second clue is on a bird nest in a tree."

Everyone ran and watched the sky and listened for the birds to sing.

"There's a nest," Ann said. The girls found the clue before the boys.

Ruth read the third clue. It said, "Now your third clue is a tall tree. So tall it makes you think of summer."

"I know! I know!" Tess said. The boys got to the second clue when the girls got their flag down, and the girls ran as fast as they could, with Tess leading the way.

After Adam read the second clue, Little Joe yelled, "I know!"

The girls got to the last clue. Ruth read it. "Hope this was fun. We did not want to lose anybody so the clues were not far apart. Now run as fast as you can back to the school."

Everyone laughed and Sue said, "The boys are coming," and all the girls knew they had to run fast.

The boys got the last clue, and they started to run. But the girls made it to the school first. The whole town was there.

Little Joe said, "The girls win."

Miss Brown said, "All the girls win the prize. The prize is no homework for a week." All the girls were happy, but not the boys.

Little Joe said, "I sure wish the boys had won."

Sue said, "I told you, Little Joe. Girls can do anything boys can do."

Everyone laughed. There were cookies and tea for all the guests and school kids, and everyone talked and had a good time.

 

 

The End