Thanksgiving

By Marion

 

Ben Cartwright looked out the window at his children playing in the snow. His children. When did he start thinking of Annie as his child, not his brother's child? Probably the first time he put her over his knee, he thought ruefully. She certainly was a handful, especially when teamed with Joe. She had just finished her punishment received when she disobeyed Adam and went falling through the ice. What a scare that had been for Ben! She needed learn that her life might very well depend on her obedience. He thought maybe she finally realized it when she almost died. Annie definitely kept him on his toes. He suspected Eddie spoiled her considerably. Then again, if he listened Adam, he was spoiling Joe, too.

Of course, being restricted for the last two weeks did nothing to curb her sense of mischief. She and Joe made sure they did nothing to incur Ben's wrath, but that didn't stop them from subtly tormenting Adam and Hoss. He laughed to think of what they did to Hoss earlier in the week. Poor Hoss was notoriously sleepy in the morning, and was never awake before his first cup of coffee.

Adam, Ben, Joe and Annie had just sat down to breakfast when Hoss came trudging out of the bunkroom with all his clothes on inside out. Ben and Adam stared at him, while Annie and Joe just howled with laughter. Hoss looked at them in surprise. "What?" he demanded.

"Son, I think you'd better go fix your clothes." Ben gestured to Hoss's shirt. Hoss looked down, puzzled for a minute, then he glared at the two culprits.

"I'm gonna pound you two!" He advanced on them, and Annie and Joe stopped laughing. As he got closer, they jumped up from their seats and hid behind Ben.

"Seems to me I ought to let him at you" was all Ben said to them, but he held up his hand to Hoss. Hoss turned on his heel mumbling something about getting them two varmints.

Of course, that joke was nothing compared to what they did to Adam yesterday. Ben had to admire the amount of planning the two of them put into that joke. Adam had been writing love poetry to a new girl in town and last month he made the mistake of leaving it where everyone could read it. Even Adam admitted that the poetry was pretty awful, and he was embarrassed when Joe and Annie memorized parts of it and recited it at the table. Yesterday Ben asked the two children to pick up the mail after school because no one else had the time to go into town. They came home and in the mail was a letter to Adam. The return address said "Sacramento News." The letter thanked him for his submission to their romantic poetry contest and congratulated him on winning first prize. His poetry would be published in the next issue, and of course he would receive complimentary copies of the paper. Just about everyone in Eagle Station read the Sacramento News at some point and Adam was horrified to think that everyone would see the dreadful works. He started screaming at Annie and Joe for submitting the poetry, because he figured they were the only two who would do such a low, dastardly deed. Once again Ben was called upon to rescue the two from an irate older brother. Only when he started to threaten spankings for invading Adam's privacy did the two of them admit that they had never actually submitted the poetry and that they had faked the letter. Ben never let on to any of them that he thought that was a clever stunt. He did suggest to Annie and Joe that they were tempting fate by playing pranks on Adam and Hoss and he didn't want to hear crying when the two got revenge.

Ben stepped out on the porch and yelled for Annie and Joe to come in. They had been outside for several hours and he didn't want any sick children with Thanksgiving only a week away. Adam and Hoss were checking on the herds but he expected them home soon.

Annie and Joe trudged inside. They were cold and wet, but they were having so much fun they didn't want to come in. They tried pleading for a few more minutes but Pa was adamant they come in and change to dry clothes. One look on his face convinced them they shouldn't plead anymore and they both went into their rooms to change. Annie hadn't been in her room for more than a minute when Ben heard her screaming. "I'm going to get them if it's the last thing I do!" He ran into the room and found Annie standing in front of her dresser, the contents of her drawer piled on the floor by her feet.

"I'm going to get those two! Uncle Ben, they put my drawers in upside down. Look at this mess. When I see them, I'm going to.."

Ben was trying hard not to laugh. "I tried to warn you. Adam and Hoss are a dangerous combination. You wouldn't listen, though." The words no sooner left his mouth than he heard Joe howling. "Clean up the mess, let me go see what's wrong with Joe."

"Clean up the mess, clean up the mess, I didn't make the mess, why do I have to clean it up!" Annie muttered after Uncle Ben left the room. She put the drawer in properly, folded the clothes and put them away. She slowly opened the second drawer only to find they had turned that one upside down as well. She finally got everything cleaned up, got changed and brought her wet clothes to dry by the fire. By that time, Hoss and Adam had returned and were warming themselves by the fire. When Annie and Joe came out of their rooms, Hoss nudged Adam. They both looked at her and snickered. "So, children, I expect we're just about even now, aren't we." Adam asked.

Annie smiled sweetly at them both. "Well, Adam, you know what they say, don't you? 'In taking revenge a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior, for it is a prince's part to pardon.' Joe and I pardon your little joke."

Joe looked confused and Uncle Ben laughed. Hoss looked at Adam. "Why do I think we've just been insulted?"

"Because, little brother, we have been. Annie, when did you ever read Francis Bacon?"

She stood on her tippy toes and kissed Adam on the cheek. "You're not the only one who reads, dear cousin." She quickly set the table as Hop Sing brought out the dinner.

Ben, Hoss and Adam spent the dinner talking about the herds. While Adam was reporting to Ben, Joe leaned over to Annie. "Where'd you get that thing you said to Adam?"

Annie leaned over and whispered back "My father was a firm believer in making me read boring stuff as punishment when I got in trouble." Joe started to giggle and Annie joined in.

"What's so funny, you two?"

"Nothing, Pa" "Nothing Uncle Ben." Ben frowned. "All, right, listen up the four of you. I think we need a little break from the practical jokes. Do you understand?" Adam and Hoss both nodded. "Joseph, Anna, do you understand?" Two sighs, two yes sirs. "Right then. Remember, you four, church tomorrow. Thank you, Hop Sing, for a delicious meal."

Annie quickly cleaned the dishes and Joe got out the checkers board. While Ben, Hoss and Adam sat by the fire eating dessert and drinking coffee, Annie and Joe sat at the table playing.

"Joe, we gotta figure out how to get them back."

"Annie, Pa said not to."

"Shhh!" Annie looked up to make sure no one heard Joe. Satisfied that no one was paying attention, she leaned forward. "He said that he thinks we need a break. He didn't actually say no more jokes."

Joe looked doubtful, but then nodded. "You're right. We're gonna have to think about this and get 'em good!"

Sunday passed peacefully enough but Ben couldn't shake the suspicion that his two youngest were up to no good. He hoped they got the message when he told them they needed a break from the practical jokes, but experience told him they probably didn't get it. Several times during the day he caught Joe and Annie whispering and giggling together and the looks they gave him when they noticed he was looking were of quickly concealed guilt. He sighed. Wouldn't those two ever learn that they couldn't get away with much that he didn't know about? Sometimes he chose to overlook misdeeds, but he always knew about them. Then again, how many years had it taken Adam and Hoss to learn those lessons? Sometimes Ben wasn't sure they had.

Monday morning came and still no sign of revenge from Annie and Joe. The two did their chores, ate breakfast and headed off to school just as Hoss and Adam finished their breakfasts. Hoss and Adam watched the two ride off towards school. "You know, Hoss, I can't help but think they have something planned."

"They heard Pa same as us. He said no more pranks."

Adam shook his head. "No, he said he thought we needed a little break from the pranks. He didn't say right out 'no more pranks.'"

"I don't recall that kind of argument saving your hide, big brother." Hoss laughed and gave Adam a little push as they reached the barn door.

Adam laughed back. "No, I guess it didn't." He pulled open the great barn doors and the two of them stood, staring at the wall where all the tack should be hanging. The wall was bare, except for Pa's tack. There were pieces of paper hanging where Hoss's and Adam's tack should be.

Adam strode over and ripped the paper off the wall. It was a poem.

 

"Your tack is gone, it isn't here

We hid it, but you know not where.

You can look high you can look low

But where we put it, you'll never know.

But here's a hint, here's a clue

It isn't in the chimney flue.

It's a trick, have a laugh

We put it where you take a bath."

 

"And they said my poetry was bad! What does yours say Hoss?"

"Same thing. If they put it in water, Pa'll have their hide."

"Pa'll have whose hide for what?" Both boys jumped and turned at the sound of their father's voice. "Why aren't you two saddled up and heading to that ridge. I wanted you out early to check that herd!"

Adam held out the paper and Ben ripped it from his grasp. "I knew they were up to something. When I get my hands on them...If they put that tack in water, they won't sit for a month of Sundays! Hoss, go look in the tub in the house. Adam, you go look in the shed."

Fortunately for Annie's and Joe's hides Adam found the tack dry in an old wash basin in the shed. It took him a little while, though, because the basin was hidden behind some casks that were being stored in the shed. As a result Hoss and Adam were an hour late leaving for the ridge. Ben was fuming. He spent the day working around the house, doing paperwork and odd jobs. By the time Annie and Joe came home from school he had calmed down considerably. As he heard them ride up, he stepped on the porch.

"Hi, Pa!" "Hey Uncle Ben? Where are Adam and Hoss?" Annie and Joe snickered.

"Seems they got a little bit of a late start this morning. Perhaps you could explain why." He held up his hand to silence them. "Take care of your horses, I expect you in the house in 15 minutes." He glared at them and went back into the house.

"Uh oh. Donšt think Pa found our joke too funny, Annie."

"Let's hurry up, we don't want him any more mad than he is." The two hurried with the horses and headed inside.

Ben sat waiting for them at the table. As he reread the note, he chuckled a little. It was a pretty clever trick and it didn't really do much harm. He hid his smile as the door opened and the pranksters shuffled in. They took off their coats, taking special care to make sure everything was hung up properly. They glanced over to Ben, who crooked his finger beckoning them to him. When they reached him, he stood up, towering over them both. One hand on his hip, he held out the poems. "Care to tell me what this is?"

They both looked up at him, and Annie looked at the papers. She bit her lip and Ben almost laughed to see her. She was obviously considering her answers carefully, knowing full well that the wrong answer would leave both Annie and Joe in uncomfortable positions. "It's a poem?" Ben took a step closer to her. "It's the poem we left when we left when we took Adam and Hoss's tack?"

"Is that a question, young lady?"

Annie shook her head. "No sir, I know it's the poem we left."

"Joseph, whose idea was it?"

Joe looked at Annie from the corner of his eye. "Both ours, I expect, Pa, sir."

"I wrote the poem, Uncle Ben."

"Annie, didn't I tell you I didn't want any more pranks?"

Annie winced. "No sir, not exactly anyway. You said you thought we needed a little break." It was all Ben could do to not laugh. Suddenly he was transported back to New Orleans with another 12-year-old standing in front of him, just like these two were. "A little break?" was all he said.

"Well, Pa, we didn't do anything on Sunday." Joe looked at Ben hopefully.

"All right you two, that's enough. Adam and Hoss are going to be late coming back, thanks to you two. Get outside and do their chores as well as your own. In fact, I think you'll be doing their barn chores for the rest of this week. Be glad that's all."

"Yes, sir!" "Yes, sir." The two practically ran to get their coats and head outside before Ben could change his mind. The door closed quietly behind them and Ben started to laugh. He looked at Hop Sing, who was watching him. "Adam's going to tell me I'm too easy on them."

"Joke was harmless, no one was hurt. Older brothers will punish them sometime."

"I know, Hop Sing. Adam and Hoss aren't likely to let this one go. Ah well, as long as no one is hurt and they leave you and I out, I'll let them have their fun. All four know what will happen if they cross the line."

 

Annie and Joe sat through dinner nervously, waiting for Hoss and Adam to say something. After dinner, Pa made the two pranksters apologize, and then told Hoss and Adam that Annie and Joe would be doing their barn chores for the remainder of the week "to make up for the inconvenience they caused this morning."

The two brothers smiled unpleasant smiles as they accepted the apologies. Annie and Joe looked at each other nervously, knowing that Adam and Hoss were going to get their revenge when the two of them least expected it. Ben saw the smiles to but decided to say nothing. As long as they didn't involve him, he was prepared to let things go.

Annie got up the next morning and dressed cautiously. She opened her drawers slowly, and then shook out her shoes. No booby traps. She looked over at the door and saw that it was slightly ajar. She looked it over carefully but couldn't see anything wrong. She decided she was worrying needlessly and she opened the door. Nothing happened. She saw Joe open the bunkroom door with similar caution.

The two of them hurried outside to do their chores and Adam's and Hoss's chores. Hoss was actually outside chopping the wood, as Ben wouldn't let Joe or Annie handle the ax. He just left the wood for the two of them to stack when he was finished. They rushed through the chores and raced back to the house. Annie stopped at the door, her hand on the knob. "They're gonna get us sometime, you know." Joe nodded. "Joe, we gotta be prepared to get them back."

Breakfast passed without incident and Joe and Annie were relieved to be heading to school. They spent the time plotting the revenge they knew they would need to take when Hoss and Adam got their revenge for the tack incident. "Annie, we gotta make sure Pa doesn't get involved."

"Or Hop Sing" Annie added, remembering the mud incident from a few months back.

The school day passed too quickly and the two were heading home, worried about what they would find there. Joe actually spent most of the time teasing Annie about something that happened at school until she told him to shut up before she clobbered him.

Once again, they hurried through chores, being careful to avoid any possible pranks set by Hoss or Adam. Still nothing. "Damnation, I wish they would just get it over with!" said Joe softly.

"Joe, if Uncle Ben hears you talking like that, it won't be Adam or Hoss you need to worry about, will it? Seems to me he threatened to wash out your mouth with soap a little while back if he heard you use that word again." Joe looked around nervously.

"You won't tell him, will you?"

Annie sighed. "How many times do I have to tell you, I'm not a tattletale!"

Dinner was a boisterous meal. Hoss and Adam had seen an albino deer while they were checking the herd, and Joe just about called them liars when they told the story. To deflect his father's attention from him, Joe started to talk about the day at school. "Hey Pa, why don't you ask Annie how her day was? Oww! What'd ya do that for?"

"Shut up Joe, don't make me clobber you again." Annie kicked Joe again.

"Joseph. Anna Marie. Do I need to remind you we are at the table? No? Good. Now Annie, what happened today that you're so anxious I not hear about?"

"Nothing Uncle Ben." Joe snickered and starting singing softly "Annie and Willie, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s, OWWW!"

"Anna, stop kicking Joseph. Now Joseph, what's this all about?"

"Willie Johnson asked Annie to go to the dance with him Friday night." Joe laughed at Annie's face, bright red from either anger or embarrassment. Ben frowned at Annie.

"Don't worry, Uncle Ben, I told him I couldn't go."

"You shoulda seen him run when he found out Annie was only 12! He thought she was at least 14!" Joe's cackle filled the air, and Hoss and Adam joined in. One look from Ben though, and all three sat quietly. Poor Annie looked like she was about to cry. She sniffed and looked at Joe. "You know, Uncle Ben, Joe said something very interesting in the barn while we were doing chores."

Ten minutes later, Annie was clearing the dishes while her uncle and youngest cousin were standing by the fire, a bar of soap in Joe's mouth. "Right then, you two have homework to finish, then it's off to bed."

Joe sat next to Annie. "Thought you weren't a tattletale." She shrugged. "You started it." Ben stood up and looked at the two of them. "Joseph may have started it, but I am stopping it. NOW!" Ben wasn't sure how much more he could take that night without losing his temper completely.

 

Annie wasn't sure she wanted to get out of bed that morning. Joe was mad at her for telling on him, Adam and Hoss were planning some kind of revenge, Uncle Ben was mad at her and Joe for fighting. Well, Hop Sing wasn't mad at her anyway. She felt bad about telling on Joe, but he shouldn't have told about Willie. She decided to apologize while they were doing chores.

As Annie and Joe headed out to the barn, Joe stopped and put his hand out. "Sorry I told about Willie. Friends?"

Annie shook his hand. "Yeah, I'm sorry I got you in trouble. Friends."

They entered the barn cautiously but still there were no pranks. What were Adam and Hoss doing to them? "I'm going to go crazy if they don't do something soon" Joe said.

"Maybe that's their plan," suggested Annie. When Joe looked at her confused, she explained. "Maybe not pulling any pranks is just the best prank of all."

"Why those two low down, good for nothing varmints! I bet Adam thought this one up."

"Hang on, Joe, I think this is going to call for special revenge. We're going to have to think a while on this one."

They headed off to school after eating breakfast. They were deep in conversation about how to get Adam and Hoss back for not playing a prank when Annie noticed a little shape on the side of the road. She quickly dismounted. "Hey, Joe, it's a rabbit." She bent down and picked it up. Joe dismounted and stood next to her.

"Looks like he's in shock. Maybe some animal had him but then dropped him. Poor thing's shivering."

"We can't just leave it here, I'm going to bring it with me."

"Annie, you can't bring a rabbit to school!" Annie didn't listen, just tucked the rabbit inside her coat.

"Come on, we're going to be late."

When they got to school, Annie wrapped the rabbit in her scarf and put the scarf inside her desk. At the morning recess, she pulled Joe aside.

"Joe, I got an idea." She quickly whispered to him and he looked at her.

"I don't know. Pa won't like it if we get in trouble at school."

"What trouble? It's a harmless prank, and it'll be funny. We'll do it at lunch recess." Joe thought for a minute, then nodded.

Lunch recess found Annie and Joe sneaking back into the classroom when Mr. Taylor was outside. Annie took the rabbit out of her desk and went to the teacher's desk. She opened his carpetbag and put the rabbit inside. Joe kept watch by the door. They quickly went out the back door just as Mr. Taylor came in the front door.

The afternoon passed slowly. Joe and Annie kept waiting for Mr. Taylor to reach into his carpetbag, but he never did. Finally, just before he was going to dismiss school for the afternoon, he reached in to pull out a book. At first he looked puzzled, then, as he pulled out the rabbit, he looked angry. The class laughed to see the little rabbit in his hand.

"Silence! Who did this?" The class stopped laughing immediately and everyone looked around at everyone else. "I asked who did this?" He reached into his bag and pulled out three books that had obvious bite marks on them. "No one will leave this room until I find out who is responsible for this outrage."

Annie looked at Joe nervously. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen, she thought. He looked back, just as nervous. Finally, Annie stood up. "I did it, sir." Joe stood up slowly. "I did, too, sir."

"Very well. The school is dismissed. Miss Cartwright, Master Cartwright, please come to my desk."

The pair shuffled up to the desk as the rest of their classmates filed past. Some gave Joe and Annie sympathetic looks as they headed out the door. Annie and Joe reached the desk and stood staring down at their toes. "Well?" was all Mr. Taylor asked.

Annie swallowed nervously and started to explain how they found the rabbit that morning. She kept staring at her feet as she explained that she thought it would be funny to see Mr. Taylor pull the rabbit out of his bag, like the magicians she saw at the circus once.

"Do you think it funny now, Miss Cartwright? Am I laughing?" Annie almost said that the class laughed but caught herself in time. "No sir, it's not funny now."

"And you, Master Cartwright, do you think your father will find this destruction funny? You will have to pay for the damage done, you know."

"No, sir, I know Pa won't find this funny."

"What won't I find funny, Joseph?" Annie and Joe almost jumped out of their skins. No one had heard Ben come into the school. "I was in town and thought I would ride home with you. Now what won't I find funny?"

Mr. Taylor explained about the rabbit and showed Ben the books. One look at Ben's face and Annie and Joe both knew that Ben saw nothing humorous in the prank. "Mr. Taylor, you may be sure they will pay to replace your books. You may also be sure that they will be punished. They both know that school is not a place for stupid pranks."

Mr. Taylor nodded. "I'm sure you will take care of the situation, Mr. Cartwright. I will leave their punishment to you."

The ride home was very quiet. Ben was obviously furious with the two children and they were trying very hard not to call attention to themselves. When they rode into the yard, Ben waved Hoss and Adam over. "I need to speak to Joseph and Anna Marie. Please take care of the horses and the chores. Joseph, Anna Marie, inside. NOW!"

Hop Sing took one look at the three faces as they came in the front door and decided he had chores to do outside. Ben slowly removed his coat, hat and gloves, then turned to the two children. "Who had the bright idea?"

"I found the rabbit, Uncle Ben. I thought up the joke." Annie's voice was barely above a whisper. "Joe just watched the door."

"That doesn't excuse Joseph's actions. I send you to school to learn. I do not send you to be disrespectful to your teacher!" Joe winced. Disrespect was just about the biggest misbehavior in Pa's eyes. Annie's head snapped up.

"We weren't disrespectful, Uncle Ben. It was just a joke!"

Joe winced again. His father towered over Annie. "Do not raise your voice to me, young lady! Making your teacher the butt of a joke is disrespectful."

Annie stomped her foot. She was mad now. "We didn't mean to be disrespectful! You can't punish us for that!" Joe stared, open-mouthed. Didn't she know that when Pa lectured, she was supposed to just stand and listen? He shook his head. Can't save some people from their own stupidity.

"Both of you go to your rooms and get ready for bed. I will deal with you later." Ben knew he was too angry to punish either of them right now.

Joe and Annie didn't join the rest of the family for dinner. After dinner, Ben went into Annie's room. She had been lying on the bed, but she jumped up as soon as he entered the room. She knew she stepped way over the line when she yelled at her uncle and she was determined not to make it worse for herself. She stood, waiting for the inevitable.

She didn't have to wait long. Ben sat down and beckoned her over. "I will not tolerate disrespect towards any adult. I will not tolerate disrespect to me. When I am speaking to you, you will not talk back. I do not want to remind you of this again." He pulled her down over his knee and did not help her up for what seemed like forever.

"Tomorrow you will give me whatever money you have saved. You will receive no allowance until Mr. Taylor's books have been paid for. Do you have any questions?" Annie shook her head no. "Then go to bed. I need to go see your cousin." Annie crawled into bed and cried herself to sleep.

Thanksgiving morning dawned. Annie and Joe hustled out to do the barn chores. After working awhile in silence, Joe looked over at his cousin. "Annie, when are you going to learn to keep your mouth shut when Pa's talking to you?"

Annie shrugged. "Sometimes the words just come out before I can stop them."

Joe rolled his eyes but "I'm done here, see you inside" was all he said. Annie finished raking the stalls then fed the horses. She stood awhile staring at the new filly that had been born just a few weeks earlier. Annie didn't know how long she was standing there, thinking, but a hand on her shoulder startled her. She whirled and looked up at Adam. "Pa's waiting for you, Annie. He wants to talk to you before breakfast. You know, life would be a lot easier for you if you kept your mouth shut when he's lecturing. I know, even though it took me a long time to figure it out." He reached out and ruffled her hair, then took her hand to lead her inside.

When they came inside, Hoss told Annie that Pa was waiting for her in his room. She looked over at Joe, who was setting the table for breakfast. He looked at her and mouthed, "Keep your mouth shut!" She smiled slightly in acknowledgement and then walked over to the closed bedroom door. She knocked lightly and opened it when she heard her uncle call for her to come in.

Ben was standing by his window when she opened the door. "Close the door, please" was all he said. After the door was closed, he sat down on the bed and beckoned her over. She stood in front of him, not sure what to do or say. He watched her, looking down at her feet, for a few minutes until she finally looked up.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Ben." She knew an apology was what he expected.

"For what?"

"For the rabbit. And for losing my temper when you were yelling at me."

"I wasn't yelling, Annie, I was talking."

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry for losing my temper when you were talking at me."

"Annie, you have a fearsome temper, and you need to do something about it or it's going to land you in big trouble some day."

"Papa used to say that either you control a temper or the temper controls you." Ben smiled. How many times had Ed heard that from their father? For that matter, how many times had Ben and John heard it?

"Trouble is, Uncle Ben, I don't know how to control it. Words just come out. I really don't want to be disrespectful, but sometimes I just can't help it."

Ben's smile turned to a frown. "Annie, that's not true. You can decide if you are going to be disrespectful or not. You are the only one who can control your temper. And, I'm warning you, if you don't start controlling your temper, we're going to have a lot more of these conversations. What are you smiling at?"

"Papa once told me that my temper was almost as bad as yours! He said that you and Grandfather Cartwright used to have fierce rows."

Ben raised one eyebrow. "And did he tell you about the times that he and your grandfather used to have at it? No? Remind me to tell you about that sometime when we're not talking about your temper." Annie grimaced; she was hoping to change the subject. "Annie, when I am speaking to you, or whenever an adult is speaking to you, you need to remember to be respectful. If you find yourself getting angry, keep your mouth closed. Bite your lip if you have to, but do not answer back. Remember the consequences of your temper."

Annie nodded. "Uncle Ben, I really didn't mean to be disrespectful to Mr. Taylor, either. I just thought the joke would be funny. I didn't think the rabbit would eat the books."

"First of all, school is not the place to be playing jokes on adults. Second of all, you need to think about the things that you do. Like the prank with Adam and Hoss. You and Joe thought that was funny, but it ended up costing them an hour of work time. I keep telling you that every action has a consequence. If you don't consider your actions ahead of time, the consequences could be very unpleasant."

"Yes, sir." Ben held out his arms and Annie came to him gladly. She really didn't like to be in trouble with him and she resolved to remember everything he said. She kissed him on the cheek. "I love you, Uncle Ben."

"I love you too, sweetheart. Now then, Hop Sing needs your help cooking Adam's turkey."

Ben and Annie had just left his room when they heard someone ride up to the house. Hoss looked out the window. "Hey, Pa, it's the teacher, Mr. Taylor!"

Ben whirled on the two youngest. "Did you two forget to tell me something?" Both of them shook their heads. "No sir" they said together. Hoss opened the door to let Mr. Taylor in. He took off his hat and held out his hand to Ben, who had approached the door to greet him. "Welcome to the Ponderosa, Mr. Taylor. What have they done now?"

Mr. Taylor waved his hand. "They've done nothing wrong, or rather, nothing else wrong, Mr. Cartwright. I apologize for disturbing your Thanksgiving, but I thought I would bring you something ­ call it a Thanksgiving present if you will." He held out a paper and Ben took it.

Ben gestured for Mr. Taylor to sit by the fire. "Mr. Taylor, I hope you will join us for Thanksgiving dinner."

"I couldn't impose." Ben shook his head. "It's no imposition. We've plenty of food and I'm guessing you're going home to dinner by yourself." Mr. Taylor laughed. "Yes, sir, I'm afraid you're right."

"It's settled then. Hoss, take care of Mr. Taylor's horse. "Annie, get Mr. Taylor a cup of coffee while I read this "Thanksgiving present" that Mr. Taylor brought." Annie hurried to obey and Ben read in silence for several minutes, then looked up. Adam, who was looking at his father, was surprised to see his eyes glistening with tears. "Thank you, Mr. Taylor. That truly is a gift."

"I asked my students to write something about Thanksgiving. Most wrote about what they hoped to eat, or that they were looking forward to a couple of days off from school." Here Mr. Taylor looked at Joe, who blushed and looked away. "Annie's essay was exceptional."

Cold air blasted everyone as Hoss came back in from the barn. "Look's like snow again, Pa." He took off his jacket and stood next to Adam by the fire. Ben handed Annie her essay. "Annie, could you please read this to everyone?"

Annie blushed and shook her head. "Please, sweetheart? For me?" Annie looked down at the paper and began to read, never lifting her eyes from the page. She was so quiet that everyone had to strain to hear her.

"A few months ago, I never thought I would be thankful again. My father had just died and I was an orphan, all alone. My father's brother, Ben Cartwright, was coming to take me to live with him in Nevada territory, far away from my home and my friends. I was very scared, but Uncle Ben and my cousins were kind to me from the beginning and now I know I have everything to be thankful for.

"I am thankful for Hop Sing. He's a Chinaman who lives with us on the Ponderosa. He's not a servant; he's a part of the family. He cooks and cleans and he's teaching me to cook and do other things. In the spring he says he'll teach me to grow a garden.

"I am thankful for my cousin Joe. We didnšt get along too well at first but now he's my best friend and we have lots of fun together. We sometimes get into trouble together, but we don't really mean to.

"I am thankful for Hoss. He's also my cousin. He's a big man, and he protects me when I need it. He's real smart when it comes to animals and he's shown me how to take care of the animals. Sometimes he threatens to pound me, but I know he never really would.

"I am thankful for Adam. He is my oldest cousin. He's real smart, too and we like to read together. I used to think he was bossy, but now I know he's just looking out for me. That's a lesson I learned the hard way.

"Mostly though, I'm thankful for my Uncle Ben. He isn't my pa, but he's as close to my Pa as I'll ever get again on this earth and I'm grateful my Pa sent me to him. Uncle Ben is a good man and he takes real good care of me. He treats me like I'm his own child, which is usually a good thing. Sometimes it would be nice to be treated like a guest, but that's only when I'm in trouble and he's caught me. He loves me and I love him.

So this Thanksgiving, when I sit to eat with my family, I know I will understand what the minister said when he told us to be sure to give thanks. I have much to be thankful for."

Thanksgiving dinner was the best meal any of them had eaten in a long time. "Hop Sing, you've outdone yourself!" Ben pushed back his plate and leaned away from the table.

"Annie helped. She is a good learner." Hop Sing was anxious to include Annie in her uncle's praise, just as she had included him in her essay. Hop Sing had been touched that she included him; he had no idea that he was so important to her.

Mr. Taylor reached over and pulled on Annie's braid. "She sure is Hop Sing, she's my best student. Mr. Cartwright, I have to say, I thought we'd be eating rabbit for dinner tonight." Annie blushed and Joe looked down at the mention of rabbit. "No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought that up." He stood up. "I think I'd best be going now, I should get home before it gets dark."

Hoss stood up, too. "I'll go get your horse saddled, Mr. Taylor." He put on his coat and hat and opened the door. The wind whipped up and blew snow right in the front door. Ben got up and looked out the window. "Mr. Taylor, I think you'd better plan on spending the night. This storm hasn't let up much."

"I don't want to impose."

Ben shook his head firmly. "It's no imposition. I insist you stay." He turned towards the table when he heard Annie and Joe giggle. "And as your students will tell you, I can be most stubborn. Hoss, Adam, you go take care of the barn chores. I don't want Annie and Joe to be out in this weather. Mr. Taylor, sit with me by the fire, Annie will get us some coffee and dessert."

So, they spent a pleasant evening by the fire. As it turned out, Mr. Taylor had spent several years at sea when he was a young man, so he and Ben spent the evening trading stories of their travels. After a while, the talk turned to Eagle Station.

"I find I like it here, Ben. The town's growing and I like my students. I do have a question for you, however. I've been approached by Jack Wolfe. He needs someone to keep his books and he thought I might be able to do the work after school and on weekends. I won't deny I could use the extra money as I'm sending all I can back to my brother. He's raising our sister's children and I vowed to help all I could. What's Wolfe like?"

"Well, John, I understand about needing money, but I couldn't bring myself to work for a man like Wolfe. He's..."

Annie's attention started to wander and she thought of the first time she had met Jack Wolfe. She found out that day what an explosive temper Uncle Ben really had. It was shortly after she came to live at the Ponderosa. The whole family was in town...

"Pa, Annie and me are going to play with some of the kids, okay? We know ­ no gambling, no fighting and stay away from the hotel and the saloon." Ben nodded his approval while he was talking to Eli about the supplies Hop Sing had requested.

Joe and Annie quickly ran off to find the other kids. They were playing hide and seek and Joe was tagged "it." Annie ducked down an alley, thinking it was a good place to hide. It must have been, too, because Joe couldn't find her. She saw Joe down the street and decided it would be a good time to run for base. She wasn't watching where she was going and ran right into a tall, blond man. "Sorry, mister. I wasn't watching where I was going."

"That's okay, young lady. You must be new in town, you're a pretty little thing. Tell you what, when you get older, you come see me and I'll give you a job."

Just then, Annie heard Hoss calling her. She excused herself and ran to Hoss, who was waiting by the wagon. "Hey, Hoss, who was that man?"

"Him? That's Jack Wolfe. You should be talkin' to him. I don't think Pa would like it."

"How come? He told me he'd give me a job when I was older."

Hoss blushed. "I know Pa wouldn't like that."

"How come? What kind of job would he give me?"

Hoss just blushed deeper. He jumped through his skin when Ben walked up behind him. "Hoss, is there something wrong?"

"No sir, that is, um..."

"Uncle Ben, Hoss was just explaining to me what kind of jobs Jack Wolfe has for girls." Ben clenched his jaw as he turned back to Hoss. Hoss just looked helplessly at his father, not sure what to say or do.

"Uncle Ben, I accidentally ran into Mr. Wolfe and he told me I was pretty and that when I was older he could give me a job. He just..."

Ben interrupted. "Jack Wolfe said he would give you a job." Annie nodded. Ben's face was red with fury. "You. A twelve-year-old girl." Annie nodded again, worried that she had done something to upset her uncle. "Hoss, you stay with Annie."

Hoss and Annie watched Ben march towards the hotel where Jack was standing on the porch. They saw him approach Jack and then they saw the two men angrily exchange words. They couldn't believe it when Ben punched Jack in the jaw, knocking him down. He strode back to them, told Hoss to go find his brothers and he helped Annie into the wagon. Later that night, he explained in vague terms what the women who worked for Jack did. Annie remembered Concetta talking about women like that and she vowed never to go near Jack Wolfe again.

Annie was startled out her thoughts by her uncle's hand on her shoulder. "Hey, sleepy head, time for bed. Joe's already gone. I'll be in to tuck you in soon." Annie stood and stretched. She kissed Adam and Hoss goodnight. "Good night, Mr. Taylor."

Annie quickly changed into her nightgown and hopped under her covers. The air was cold and she pulled the blankets up to her chin. Ben came in a few minutes later to say good night.

"Uncle Ben, can I ask you a question?" He sat on the bed next to her and nodded. "I know I'm supposed to give you the money I saved to pay for Mr. Taylor's books, but.."

"No buts, Annie. You have a debt to pay."

She started to retort, then bit her lip. Ben had to bite his own lip to keep from laughing. She was trying so hard not to lose her temper. "Please, Uncle Ben? It's just that Christmas is coming and I was saving money to buy some things to make presents with. I'll never be able to save enough in time to make the presents. Please? You can keep my allowance for the next eight weeks, just let me keep the money I've saved?" The words tumbled out in a rush.

Ben looked at her thoughtfully. She had obviously listened to his lecture about her temper, and it was Thanksgiving. He could be lenient this one time.

"No allowance for eight weeks. Remember that when you see something you want at the store."

She threw her arms around him. "Thank you, Uncle Ben! I promise I'll remember! This has been a wonderful Thanksgiving!"

He hugged her briefly, and then tucked her in. "Good night, sweetheart. Pleasant dreams."

The end