Ponderosa Beginnings

By Tennessee

 

 

Ben was working outside when he started thinking about the last two years. He first thought about when Marie died and how sad he had been and how soon he'd wondered if their dreams of having a ranch would ever be realized. Ben could still hear Marie saying, "Stay a good man. Don't let this change you." And then he smiled as he thought of how happy Marie would have been on the Ponderosa.

Adam walked up and Ben didn't see him at first.

"Pa."

"Oh sorry, Adam. I was just thinking. I was thinking about . . . when Marie died."

"I know, Pa. I think about that a lot too."

"But we have so much to be thankful for. Just look around you."

Adam said, "When Eli gave us this property I was so worried. We'd never run a ranch before. But then that day when you, me, Little Joe, Hoss, and Carlos saw the property it was so pretty and the land was so green and the lake so blue, I knew that this was home. And then we were trying to name our ranch and Hoss saw the Ponderosa pine trees and we loved the name Ponderosa and used that same wood to build our house. You showed us how to cut wood."

Ben laughed. "And the first few you cut were too short and we couldn't use them."

"I will never forget how hard we worked to build the house and then that man set it on fire and we had to start all over again."

And Ben said, "Our friends helped us. Without them, we wouldn't have gotten it built before winter."

"Remember after the house was done we all four were staying over there looking at it? It was home then."

Ben said, "You boys, Carlos, and I moved in. And then Hop Sing joined us. Hoss was so happy to have good food to eat again. Adam, son, it was so hard to run the ranch at first but we persevered."

"The first time I broke a horse I was so sore I couldn't move for two days."

Ben laughed. "I know, son. And then there was our first cattle drive. I thought it would be easy to drive the cattle home, but Little Joe fell off his horse and we couldn't keep the cattle together, and I started to wonder if we'd ever get the cattle home for branding."

Adam said, "During that time, I wasn't sure I wanted to be a rancher. I didn't like any of the ranch work, and I missed New Orleans."

"What made you changed your mind about being a rancher, son?"

"Well, one day I was riding my horse, trying to think about how to tell you this life was not for me and I looked at the lake and thought about Ma's hopes and dreams of owning a ranch one day. And I saw how beautiful the Ponderosa is and how happy you and Little Joe and Hoss were. And I wanted to stay."

"Running the Ponderosa is hard work," Ben said. "I often think of that first winter when it was so cold and we could barely get through the snow to take care of the stock. And there was that time that Hoss feel in the snow."

"And remember that spring when we got up and found that cow had had the first calf of the season. She was so pretty."

"I know running a ranch is hard sometimes, but it's days like that that make it easier. It was hard to sell that calf when it was old enough."

"And Little Joe got mad because you sold it."

Ben nodded. "I know we've had bad times, but when I look back it's mostly the good times that come to mind."

"What about in the summer when it's so hot you can't sleep and so quiet you can't think?"

"We lost some cattle that first summer, didn't we? I worried if I had what it takes to be a rancher. But look at us now, son. We've doubled the number of horses and cattle. We cleared that piece of land so we can graze more stock next year, and we made enough money this year to make some improvements to the house. Look around at the Ponderosa, son. It is our ranch, and it's a success, and we are all happy."

Adam said, "Pa, I love the Ponderosa and now I love being a rancher. I guess it just took good times and bad times for me to realize the Ponderosa is home."

Hoss and Little Joe came riding in fast. Joe called, "Pa! Adam! Come see this."

"We've got two new colts," Hoss said.

"And one looks just like Paint," added Little Joe.

Ben smiled. "All right. Let's go take a look at them."

"So you're happy even after all the heartache you've had in your life?" Adam asked.

"Yes, son. I lost three wives, but I have you and your brothers. A man never accomplishes much if he spends his time thinking about the past. I prefer to focus on the good times. When I think of my three wives, I think of the good times not the bad, son. And I get to remember all my wives through the sons they left me." As Ben pulled up his horse, he said, "This land is not just mine, Adam. It's yours too, and your brothers'."

"Yes, Pa," said Adam.

They saw the two new colts standing with their mothers. Ben pointed to the foal that looked like Paint. "That one's yours, Little Joe.""Really Pa?" Joe asked excitely.

"Really, son."

"Is it a boy or girl, Pa?"

Hoss went to check. "It's a girl," he said.

Little Joe thought for a while. "Maybe I'll call her Marie after Ma."

Ben said, "That's a great idea, son. Now let's get home for dinner."

The boys rode ahead and Ben lagged behind them. He thought about how the Ponderosa was home and how much they had learned and it made him smile.

 

The End