Payback

By Kate O'Neill

 

Adam was awake, lying in bed, the beams from the full moon lighting up the bedroom. He looked over at Hoss, for once silently sleeping, on his side and not snoring. Joe was sound asleep. Adam was restless. He could not get yesterday's near set-to with Jack Wolfe off his mind.

--------------------

"Boy, you tell your Pa that his protection of that no-account thief and murderer will do no good. He'll still hang!" Jack Wolfe placed one immaculate black boot forward and assumed a superior stance as he glared at Adam. "Thought your Pa had more mettle than that?"

Adam's neck and face colored as he shot back a retort. "What's that supposed to mean?

"Oh, I don't know." Wolfe said. "Some folks might think that defending a reject of society would label a fella as bein' weak! Got to be tough with those that would steal and murder."

Adam threw down the sack of cornmeal he held on his shoulder. "You calling my father weak?" Adam's hands were balled into fists, the knuckles turning white.

"Adam, mount up and end this conversation. Now!" Ben's unmistakable voice cut through Adam's anger and he glanced at his father. Ben continued to stare at his son. Adam relaxed, but just a little. That's when Jack Wolfe broke into a full grin, then laughed outloud at Adam.

"Boy, I think you better listen to your daddy!" Jack smirked at Adam.

Quick as light, Adam lunged himself toward Jack Wolfe, almost escaping Ben's grasp. Yanking Adam back a step, he stepped in front of his son and in a dangerous voice gave Adam a firm directive. "Adam. I just told you to do something. Get on your horse and end this conversation. Now MOVE!" And he pushed him toward his horse.

While Hoss looked on, Adam walked to his horse, angrily mounted up and yanked his hat down low over his eyes. He sat there, fuming.

Hoss looked at Jack Wolfe with a glare, then at his father who was already giving his middle son a warning with his eyes. Thinking better of getting involved in the argument, he walked to the sack of cornmeal Adam dropped, hoisted it and put it in the wagon. Without looking at the two men, Hoss climbed into the wagon.

"Jack." Ben said in a controlled voice. "That man was an 'alleged' thief and murderer. If I had let him go with that bounty hunter the man would be dead. Guilty or innocent every man is entitled to a fair trial."

"Sounds like soft talk to me!" Jack Wolfe called and then laughed at his friends, who joined in.

Hoss looked up, angered by the remark.

"That may be so, Jack." Ben reasoned with a smile. "But if I am soft, that's my concern isn't it? It's no skin off your nose if the man lived to see a judge, and it's not my concern what your opinion is of me." Ben turned, motioned for Adam to head out and then climbed up into the wagon. Adam jerked his horse's reins and urged the sorrel into a lope.

Tipping his hat to Jack Wolfe and friends, Ben drove his rig calmly out of town.

Adam was nowhere to be seen along the road home.

--------------------

Even now, as he turned the conversation over his mind yet again, he could feel his heartbeat quicken and the heat of his temper rise. It really galled Adam the way Jack Wolfe talked to him and his father yesterday, pretty much calling them all weak. His untapped temper roiling inside him, he climbed out of bed and kicked at Hoss's foot.

"Wake up, Hoss" he whispered. Then a little louder, "Hoss! Hoss!", and he gave him a good shake. "HOSS!"

"What in tarnation . . ." Hoss roused and sat up sleepily and peered at Adam through one eye. "Aw, go back t' sleep, Adam!" Leave me alone!" He laid back down.

Adam poked him in the chest, not gently. "No! Get up! I need to talk to you!!" Adam's irritation was apparent.

Hoss sighed and sat up in bed. "Whut?" Hoss complained.

Adam bent close to whisper, "Come out on the porch, I have something to talk to you about."

Hoss yawned and finally managed to open both eyes and spoke. "Why cain't we talk here?"

Adam rolled his eyes slightly and his mouth turned down, "Because there are little ears that hear everything that goes on in this house. That's why! Now, come on!" And with that said, Adam left the room.

Hoss heaved himself out of bed and looked down at Joe. "You awake shortshanks? Joe?"

Satisfied that the youngest Cartwright was still asleep, Hoss walked out of the room leaving the door open. Joe's eyes popped open, wide-awake. He waited until he heard the front door close quietly. He got up and hurried to the great room. Looking toward his father's door, his heart was beating loud in his ears. He scurried to the window, which was already slightly open to draw a cross-breeze.

"What d' ya mean, y' wanna take care of Mr. Wolfe? I don't think you outta be messin' with that feller, Adam!" Hoss said cautiously.

Adam was more than a little frustrated with his easy-going brother. "Didn't you hear the way he talked about Pa, yesterday? I can't let that stand, can you?" Adam paced back and forth on the porch in front of his brother.

Hoss nodded. "Yeah, I SURE can. From the looks of Pa yesterday, I KNOW he doesn't want us getting' inta an argument with Mr. Wolfe."

"Mr. Wolfe." The corner of Adam's mouth curled in derision. "He doesn't deserve that kind of respect. Look, it's just a harmless prank, no harm done. No one will know it was us. We can pull it off with a little help from Mary, you know her, the maid at Jack's!"

"Yeah, I know her, Adam. But, I still don't think we outta be messin' with Mr. Wolfe. Pa'll give us an earful fer sure and that's if we're lucky!"

"Oh, It'll be worth it, you'll see!" Adam smiled and spit in his hand. "Partners?" He looked at Hoss, and raised one eyebrow.

Hoss looked sideways at his older brother and paused, his mouth open and poised to argue. He just couldn't refuse Adam. A wave of uneasiness washed over him, but, he spit in his hand and reached it out to his brother. "Partners". He said reluctantly.

They shook hands, Adam smiled openly and finally, so did Hoss.

Little Joe smiled. He spit in both his hands and rubbed them together. "Partners!" he said. He turned to hurry back to the bedroom before his brothers came in but stumbled over the water bucket causing the ladle to bang around in the metal bucket. As the clattering noise came to an end, both brothers came hurrying through the door, eyes wide, expecting their Pa, instead finding their rascal of a brother standing there with a guilty expression on his face. All three held their breath and looked toward Ben's door and waited. Nothing. They all exhaled.

Adam was the first to speak, in an angry whisper. "Spying again, Little Joe? I thought I convinced you last time that it's not a good idea??"

Joe licked his lips, "A-Adam, I just wanted to open the window a little wider!"

Hoss found his voice, "Pa would call that a whopper, Little Joe! Why didn't you just open our window. You were listening in on us and I oughta pound you for it!"

Adam made a face and his eyes darted to their father's door, "Be quiet. Come on, let's get back to bed." They followed Joe into the bedroom.

The next morning dawned bright and warm with a cool breeze. Adam rode into town for the mail and when he came back he motioned for Hoss to meet him behind the barn. Hoss was working with Joe in the new corral but stopped when Adam called him.

"Little Joe, you stay here and keep working, I'll be right back." Hoss emphasized with an index finger pressed into Joe’s chest.

Frowning, Joe rubbed his chest where Hoss poked him. He knew his brothers were in the planning stages of whatever trick they were going to play on Jack Wolfe. Joe shook his head. Mr. Wolfe's place was a complete mystery to Joe. People always acted funny around the building. Men hurried in and hurried out. Women hurried past it and most of them made a face as they did. Mrs. Orowitz wouldn't even mention the place. Joe thought the girls that lived there were pretty, but kind of, well, too fancy. He had never seen girls show their shoulders before!

"Get back to work, Joe!" he heard Adam holler at him, so he set to his chore again.

Behind the barn, Adam squatted down and dumped out the contents of his saddlebags. "Look at this!" Adam laughed. Displayed on the ground were 12 bars of soap, one can of boot blacking and 6 paraffin squares.

"Adam, I guess we're really gonna do this, huh?" Hoss looked a bit worried.

"You bet we are!" Adam gave a nod of his head. He stuffed all of the items back in his saddlebags and carried them into the barn. He looked out at Little Joe and frowned. Joe returned his gaze and then went back to work, when Adam kept staring at him.

After the house had settled down for the night, Hoss and Adam crept out to the barn.

"What do we do first, Adam?" Hoss asked.

"Alright, first we take the bars of soap, and rub them in this boot blacking. Then we take hold of the soap with these hoof nippers and then dip it into the melted paraffin just to coat it a little. It’ll take a minute or two to harden. Then put them in this sack." Adam held up a burlap sack, then dropped it at Hoss’ feet. Then he handed Hoss the nippers.

"Okay." Hoss replied then reached for a bar of soap. "Never would have thought these dang things could be used for more’n trimmin’ horses’ feet!" He laughed

"Careful! Don’t get the blacking on your hands, Hoss!! It won’t come off except by wearing off! Hoss nodded.

Stepping to the barn door, Adam opened it a crack and looked out, keeping an eye out for Little Joe or Pa.

"We need to melt that paraffin next." Adam answered.

"Hey, ain’t you gonna do any a’ this?" Hoss complained. Adam offered him a small irritated frown, then reached for the lantern.

"Look, Hoss. Just put the paraffin squares in the pie tin, and then hold the pie tin over the lantern glass. Hoss put his leather work gloves on and melted the paraffin. Adam took the nippers from Hoss and began dipping the soap into the paraffin, then holding them up to harden. As each one was ready, he placed it in the sack. "There! I helped, okay?" Adam smiled and handed the nippers to Hoss.

Adam looked out the barn door again. "Can’t you move a little faster?

"I’d move a sight quicker if you’d quit fussin’ at me!" Hoss hollered.

"Shhhh!" Adam hissed. "Let's hurry and get finished!

Hoss finished up the last three bars and tied up the burlap sack. He then hung the sack on the wall, behind the old harness yokes, where it used to hang, empty. Hoss looked at Adam for any sign of disagreement in where he "hid" the sack.

"Good, Hoss! You hid them right out in the open!" Hoss looked worried. "No, Hoss! That’s fine! That’s the way to hide something well, right out in the open. We'll take them to Mary in the morning. She'll put them in the rooms before "things" get started." Adam gave Hoss a mischievous grin. Hoss couldn't help but smile himself.

The two brothers, arms around each other’s shoulders, walked to the house. Looking at the clock in the great room, Adam saw that it was almost midnight. They entered their bedroom only to find Little Joe sitting upright in bed.

"What are you doing up?" Adam scowled.

Little Joe gathered all his bravado and answered back. "I know all about what you two are going to do. Why can’t I help?"

"Go to sleep!" Adam said. "And lower your voice!"

"I'm gonna tell Pa!" Joe threatened. Hoss was about to say something, when Adam motioned him to be quiet.

Adam bent down and looked at Joe coolly. "Joe, you go right on ahead and tell him. But don't forget you've got to tell him HOW you found out - by eavesdropping - plus you've got to tell him you've been up at all hours of the night. So, go right ahead, buddy, and give him the message!"

Joe hated the fact that he always lost a verbal fight with Adam, and so looked back in quiet anger. He then laid down and pretended to go to sleep. Adam gave Hoss a knowing look, as if to say, "That'll keep him quiet!" Hoss answered with an unsure half-smile.

Joe's eyes were closed but he promised himself that he would be a part of this scheme. Somehow!

The next morning, early, Hoss and Adam hitched the team to the wagon.

Ben came outside with a slightly exasperated countenance. "Boys? Where do you think you are going? I had planned to take the wagon into town with Hop Sing! We've got a lot of supplies to pick up and I want to stop by the bank."

"Look, Pa, we were planning to pick up the supplies for you and I can stop by the bank while I'm in town!" Adam looked at his father earnestly.

'He's just a little too eager to go to town,' Ben thought. 'I wonder what he hasn't done in the way of morning chores around here today?' Pushing these thoughts aside, because of Adam’s reliability, he answered. "Thanks, son! That will save me some time today." He smiled, quizzically.

"Glad to do it, Pa!" Adam offered too happily. Hoss just looked down.

Ben slowly nodded his head. 'Yep, they're up to something. I guess I'll find out eventually." He went back in the house.

Adam urged the horses forward and they were nearly out of the yard when Hoss spoke up. "Doggonit, Adam, I almost forgot the bag. It's in the barn. I'll get it!"

Adam looked skyward and shook his head, as he pulled the team to a halt. Adam set the brake and went to check the horses' riggings while Hoss was in the barn. Joe saw his best and only chance to go with them. He ran from the house, sneaked up to the wagon and climbed in, laid down and covered himself with the tarp. Hoss came out from the barn and swung the sack into the wagon and it landed, clattering on Little Joe's head.

Adam hollered, "Careful with that stuff, we don't want the coating to come off!"

Hoss blushed, "Sorry, Adam". With one final check of the bridle, Adam came around and climbed up into the wagon. They began their trip to town.

Adam directed the horses around the large mud hole in the middle of the road in Eagle Station. Most of the street had dried up, and he was grateful that he would not have to clean the clay-like mud from the wheels today. "Hooooo." Adam said to the team and they ambled to a restless stop. "Hoss, go see if you can find Mary."

Hoss looked at Adam with his mouth hanging open. "Me?"

Adam looked at the red flush creeping up his brother's neck and then to his face. Sighing, Adam responded, "Never mind! I'll find her."

Adam set the brake and hopped to the ground. Hoss eased himself up and over the side and climbed down. He looked around and then headed to the Orowitz's. Adam walked up to Jack’s place and knocked on the door.

Little Joe heard Hoss leave and so, poked his head out from under the tarp. No sign of Adam, either. ‘He went in Jack Wolfe’s place?’ Joe asked himself. Now was his chance. He quickly hopped over the back of the wagon, squatted there and watched for an appearance of either brother, then ran into the alley and hid behind an empty barrel. His heart froze when he suddenly heard Adam’s voice. He was talking to a girl. They came out and stood at the opening of the alley and Adam handed the girl a sack. ‘The sack that Hoss had in the barn!’ He thought in recognition. Joe pulled his head back behind the barrel so Adam wouldn't see him. What was in that sack? Little Joe could not stand it that he didn't know what Adam and Hoss were up to. He picked up a small stick and began drawing in the sand, waiting for them to quit talking. He noticed a spigot on the barrel and decided to stick his finger in it. Pulling his finger out he discovered that it was coated with an amber liquid. He smelled it. Whew! Then he tasted it. 'Kinda burns my tongue', he thought to himself. But he kept putting his finger in the spigot and tasting the new found liquid. Finally, Adam said goodbye to the girl. She went inside and Adam walked away.

Little Joe crept from behind the barrel and looked around the corner, watching Adam go into Orowitz's store. Right away, Hoss and Adam came out again, Adam was complaining to Hoss about something. Hoss was carrying a little brown sack, trying to ignore Adam. 'Filled with candy, probably', Little Joe reasoned. As they neared the wagon, Little Joe could hear that Adam was complaining to Hoss about buying the candy.

"Why do you insist on buying that truck? You’re wasting your money!" Adam scolded.

'Aw, Adam, I jest buy it for Little Joe!' Hoss lied. "Right." Adam offered, unbelieving.

Joe rolled his eyes, knowing that if he ever got any of that candy he'd have to steal it from Hoss

"Let's go to the bank and then we’ll move the rig down to the store. Eli’s going to bring it all out in about fifteen minutes! Then we'll head back home." Hoss nodded his agreement, his mouth full of lemon sours.

Little Joe heard a door slam behind him and it caused him nearly to jump ten feet. He turned to see the girl who had been talking to Adam. She still had the sack with her. She set the sack down and put down a small saucer of milk. Calling, "Kitty! C'mere Kitty!" a thin, striped cat came racing down the alley and began furiously drinking the milk. Little Joe smiled. The girl noticed him for the first time, looked at him and smiled, too. She grabbed the sack and stood up. But she had the sack by the bottom and the contents spilled out onto the ground. Little Joe hurried to help her pick them up. He was reaching for the last one when it occurred to him. He would keep it. He put his hand on it, stood up and slipped it in his pocket. The girl thanked him over and over and then hurried inside. He just stood there looking at the door. The door to Jack Wolf's place.

Impulsively, Joe ran up to the door after her. "Hey, what's yer name?" Joe called.

"Mary" she called back at him.

"Can I come in and help you?" he hollered.

She came back to the door. "I really shouldn't. I could get in real trouble, probably fired!" She thought about it for a minute. "But, Mr. Wolfe won't be here until 10:00. Come on in!" She gave Joe a beautiful smile. Grinning, he walked through the door. "Don't touch anything that looks breakable, OK?" Joe nodded.

His eyes grew wide as he took in the massive kitchen, full of meat and cheeses and bottles. "Is that wine?" Joe asked.

"Uh-huh" Mary answered.

Joe followed Mary upstairs. "What's your name?" she asked.

"Joe. Little Joe" he answered.

"Little Joe, you said you wanted to help me, right?" He nodded. "Alright. Each of these rooms has a wash stand and basin. Put a bar of soap on each wash stand. Pick up the old bars of soap and put them in the sack. I cut them up to wash the laundry with." Mary explained. Joe’s face registered uncertainty, even fear. But the thrill was stronger than his caution.

Joe's eyes were wide as he knocked on the first door of eight that lined both sides of the hall.

"Come in." Said a velvety voice.

He turned the knob and walked in. The room was fancy and crowded, and the fancy girl was there too! The lamp had strings hanging from it. And he never saw so many flowers on things. The couch had roses on it. The pillows had other flowers. The curtains, blankets, clothes that were hanging all had bright patterns. There was a smell of something burning, that kinda smelled sweet. Joe hurried to the washstand and grabbed the old soap and put out the new fresh one and then left. He finished all the rooms and found Mary at the linen closet at the end of the hall.

"I have three left, Mary!" Joe said proudly.

Mary smiled. "Good. We'll go downstairs and put one in Mr. Wolfe's bath, one in the guest bath and one in the kitchen. Then we're done, young man! You know, Adam Cartwright gave me this soap for the rooms. I don't know what's so special about it. It doesn't smell pretty and it's not a fancy color. But he said he wanted me to use it and I can't turn down Adam Cartwright, can I, Little Joe? Have you ever seen him? He's as handsome as they come! I wonder what he's really like!?"

Joe rolled his eyes heavenward. "Well, I could tell ya, 'cause he's my brother! He's bossy but he's nice too, I guess. He taught me to fish and ride a horse. But I don't think he's handsome. He's just my ugly old brother."

Mary looked at Joe in astonishment. "He's your brother? Oh my goodness! You better get out of here right now! What would he think of me bringing you in a place like this at your age. At any age. Oh!" and Mary grabbed Little Joe by the arm and dragged him back out the way he came in. "Now you go on home, Little Joe and don't tell anyone you were in here! Get!" Mary slammed the door.

Joe ran down the alley toward the wagon and he ran smack into Adam.

Adam grabbed him by the shoulders. "JOE! What the . . . what are you doing here?" Adam shook him. "I, uh, well . . . I, uh . . ." Joe stammered. "You sneaked away from the ranch and hid in the wagon? Oh, I ought to tan you here in front of everybody. Does Pa know that you came with us?"

Joe's eyes were tear-filled. "Hop Sing knows. I told him . . . that . . . you asked me to go with you."

Adam released his hold on Joe. "You what?" He pierced him with his intense blue eyes. "Get in the wagon!" He yelled.

Little Joe scrambled into the wagon, not wanting to anger his brother any further.

Hoss came up to Adam, "Aw, leave him alone, Adam. No harm's done!"

Adam looked at Hoss. "Really? Pa just thinks that I hauled all of us to town, for what? All of us here and no one doing chores this morning? He will not be happy and I'm the one who will hear about it the most!"

Adam climbed up in the wagon and yanked the brake handle. Hoss climbed up next to him. With a slap of the reins the horses jumped forward. Adam turned the wagon around and forgot to steer around the mud puddle. The wagon slumped into the mud and the horses pulled and pulled, inching the wagon out from the grasping mud. Adam's face colored with irritation, knowing that he didn't escape having to clean the wagon wheels afterall. Once clear of the mud bog, they began their long trip home, with Hoss sneaking lemon drops to Little Joe in the back.

Hop Sing?" Ben looked around the yard. "Hop Sing!" Ben called again. He turned to see Hop Sing coming out of the smokehouse.

"Yes, Mr. Cartwright?" Hop Sing walked quickly to where Ben stood.

"Have you seen Little Joe anywhere? If he's gone fishing before doing his chores, we're going to have a discussion!" Ben's eyes snapped.

"Little Joe went to town with brothers. They ask him to come along." Hop Sing began to hoe the new weeds cropping up in his garden. "Dog been in garden again. See many paw prints in mud." He shook his head.

"Hop Sing, why did all three of them go into town? And why is it that YOU know that Little Joe went with them and I don't?" Ben's face was incredulous.

"Little Joe tell Hop Sing." The young man smiled to himself.

Ben's face became stony and his mouth formed a grim line. "I see."

Hop Sing wasn't finished. "Little Joe tell me many things. Talk over many problems that he not ready tell you. Little Joe want tell someone he going with brothers. He tell me. I not yell. Ben Cartwright probably yell."

"I would not yell!"

Hop Sing quit hoeing and looked at Ben. "You are yelling", he said quietly.

Aggravated, Ben walked away and into the house. 'I need a cup of coffee!' Ben thought to himself. 'I was not yelling.'

An hour later, the wagon came trundling into the yard. Adam pulled the team to a stop, set the brake and jumped out. He took notice of his father standing on the porch with his hands on his hips. 'Not a good sign', he thought to himself. He continued with his work of unhitching the team. Hoss began unhitching the other side. Adam looked at Hoss and he returned the gaze.

"Pa don't look too pleased up there." Hoss offered.

"Yeah, I noticed. I'm sure gonna hear about it. And I see that Little Joe made a quick and convenient escape from the back of the wagon. I wonder where HE is?" Adam's blue eyes were hooded. There was one thing he couldn't stand and that was to disappoint his father.

Ben made his way down to where the boys were unhitching the team. "Did you get to the bank?" The brothers looked at each other. Ben frowned. "Adam, you and I are going to talk. You too, Hoss!"

Adam looked at his father in acknowledgement. "Yes, sir." Hoss said quietly, "Yes, sir."

Ben turned and walked to the barn. "Great." Adam said under his breath.

Little Joe peered out of the outhouse. Adam and Hoss were walking toward the barn. He stepped out of the small building and looked around the yard. Pa was in the barn and Hop Sing was working in the garden. Remembering the bar of soap in his pocket, he took it out and placed it on the wash basin right outside of the outhouse. He wondered what was so special about this soap. 'Maybe if I leave it here, I'll find out!' he thought. He looked up to see his father lead his horse out of the barn, saddled.

"I’m going to the BANK!" Ben said, then mounted up. He waved to Hop Sing and then noticed Little Joe. He pulled his horse to a stop and pointed at his youngest son. "Joseph! You had better get those chores done right now! You and I have some talking to do when I get back from town!! You hear me?"

Joe bit his bottom lip and hollered back, "Yes, sir!" Ben turned his horse and rode off down the road.

When Ben arrived in town, he could sense that there was something going on, some sort of excitement. As he neared the center of town, he discovered that the activity was centered around Jack Wolfe's "establishment". Ben urged his horse into a lope and rode up to the building. He dismounted and walked toward the center of the crowd. There was Jack Wolfe himself standing in front of the crowd, screaming! Ben's eyes grew wide in shock, for there before him stood Jack Wolfe, his face, hands and arms covered with what looked like black ink! Jack's eyes were ready to pop from his head and the veins stood out in his forehead and neck as he called for the perpetrators of the crime. Ben looked a little closer and could see that the black substance had dripped onto Jack's shirt and jacket and was in his mustache. Stifling a grin, Ben took out his handkerchief and approached Jack. Rubbing Jack's face he tried to wipe off the offending marks, to no avail. "IT . . . DOES . . . NOT . . . COME . . . OFF!" Jack hollered at Ben. As Ben began to take in the whole scene, he realized that Jack was not the only person to be afflicted in this manner. One woman was berating her husband for being in the building at all, the man's shame displayed prominently upon his face and hands. Another woman was dragging her young teenage son home by a blackened ear. Over the next twenty or so minutes, male customers and female employees flowed out of Jack's establishment, marked with the telltale black marks. Jack's "ladies" were crying due to their ruined clothes, faces and hands. "BEN CARTWRIGHT!" Jack screamed. "IT WAS YOUR SON, ADAM CARTWRIGHT, WHO DID THIS!"

Ben's face registered shock and his anger surged. "How can you say that? My son wouldn't do this!"

Jack Wolfe approached Ben quickly and threateningly, "IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, JUST ASK HER!" and he pointed at Mary.

Mary was quietly crying to herself, while standing there taking in the scene.

Ben made his way over to her. "Mary? Did my son really do this?"

Mary tried to smile at him. "Oh, Mr. Cartwright, I don't know what happened. Adam gave me this soap and asked me to put it in the rooms. I thought maybe it was soap that would make the men smell like ladies or that maybe it smelled like bear fat or fish. I had no idea that it would have . . . this stuff in it!"

Ben's eyes narrowed as he looked at her. He reached out, took her hand and raised it to his nose. "It smells like, . . . boot blacking!" Ben’s eyes opened wide in shock.

Mary sniffed. "Yes, boot blacking! That’s what it is!! It just will not come off! The customers are covered with it, so are the ladies, because they both have to, um, .... freshen up during the day. The basins are all black, the towels, the clothing. We had extra bars of soap so we put one in Jack's washbasin. That's how Jack got covered in black! I'm going to lose my job." Mary started crying again.

"Mary, you said 'we'. Who helped you put the soap in there. Adam? Hoss?" Ben was not sure he believed it yet.

"No, Mr. Cartwright. It was Little Joe!"

All color drained from Ben's face when he heard this. "Are you sure?"

She colored a little, "I'm sorry, Mr. Cartwright!" Ben turned from her and went straight to his horse. He mounted up and rode to the bank. He knew he was staring, in a state of bewilderment. He dismounted and tied his horse up outside of the bank. Standing in line, he could hear the three people in front of him talking about the incident. As each bank customer left, they glanced uncomfortably at Ben and then their eyes darted away. Ben recognized that they knew that apparently it was his sons who did this. When it was finally his turn, he walked up to the teller and looked at him in surprise.

The little man had black smudges on his cheeks, nose and hands. "Can I help you, Mr. Cartwright?" The man's voice was trembling.

Ben’s mouth hung open but he couldn’t speak. Finally, clearing his throat he answered. "Yes, Paul," Ben offered, staring, "let me cash this draft, please!"

The little man disappeared to retrieve the cash. Returning to the window, the banker pushed the money at Ben. "Thank you, Paul." Ben took the money, put it in his pocket and left the bank. Once outside, he looked around at the commotion, and feeling a little ill, he mounted up and rode out. 'It couldn't have been Adam. Or Little Joe, could it?" he mulled this over and over again, all the way home.

Wearily, Ben rode into the yard. It was pretty much a wasted trip to town. Many of the people he needed to see, were "indisposed" due to the situation at Jack's or they were in Shelby's saloon talking about it. He was roused from his shock by furious screaming, in Chinese. Ben lifted his head to see Hop Sing walking away from the outhouse basin. Ben quickly dismounted and ran to the young man. "Hop Sing!" was all Ben could say before his mouth fell open in further shock. Hop Sing's hands and face were covered in boot blacking. The small man looked at Ben and exploded in Chinese once again, waving his arms and pacing in front of Ben.

The commotion brought Adam and Hoss running out of the house with rifles at the ready, fearing an intruder. Adam's face grew white with the realization of what had happened. His mind raced, 'How did one of those bars of soap get here? How did this happen?' He rubbed the back of his head, smoothing his hair, something he did when he was nervous. Hoss turned crimson and hung his head in shame. Little Joe came running from behind the house and skidded to a stop when he saw Hop Sing. His eyes grew wide at the scene before him.

Ben turned slowly and leveled a deadly glare at Adam and Hoss. "You!" Ben pointed at Adam and then at Hoss. "Get yourselves in the house, now!" he hissed. Ben then turned to Little Joe. "You! Go with your brothers!" Ben's voice was beginning to rise. Joe turned and ran into the house. Adam and Hoss trudged to the house, their rifles hanging down.

Ben grabbed his horse's reins and tied them to the corral. He took a deep breath and pulled at his ear. He could feel a complete loss of control coming over him and he did not want to deal with his sons in that state. He walked around the yard. Then he walked around the house, the whole perimeter of the clearing where they lived. Finally making his way to the porch, he opened the front door and went in.

The opening of the door made his sons startle. They were all three sitting on the settee when he came in. He hung up his hat and slowly walked to the center of the great room. His face was like a thunderstorm, the artery in his neck standing out. He looked at each one of his sons in turn. Placing his hands on his hips, he yelled "Stand up!" They all stood before him nervously.

"Joseph. What do you know about what happened to Hop Sing?" Little Joe related the story of his trip to town, helping Mary and taking one of the soap bars. He didn't know about the soap being rigged with ink, he said. "Alright, Joseph. Go to your room, you and I will talk later. I want to talk to your brothers now!"

Joe tried to swallow the lump in his throat. He glanced at his brothers and then walked quickly to the bedroom and closed the door quietly as Ben watched. He turned to his two oldest sons. "Now. Out with it! ALL OF IT!!! Adam, you're the oldest, please explain!" Ben growled.

Adam related the entire prank from the inception to the carrying out. "Pa, Hoss didn't really want to play this trick on Jack, I kind of pushed him into it! And Joe didn't know anything about the soap and what it would do. I just thought it was a way to give Jack Wolfe some payback and no one would be the wiser!"

Ben nodded his head. "Adam, you are twenty-one years old. Don't you think that's a little old to be playing pranks on people? And, by the way, I don't care if you pushed Hoss into it! Hoss can think for himself, but he didn't, did he?" Ben focused his attention on Hoss, "DID YOU?"

Hoss reacted to Ben's voice as if he had been struck. "No, sir. I sure didn't." Hoss's eyes were glued to the floor.

"So, you do realize that I am holding you just as responsible as Adam for this catastrophe?" Hoss nodded silently. "And let me assure you both, the penalty for this disaster is severe. Am I understood? Adam, you are of age, no longer a child that should be punished for something like this. However, you know me well enough to know that it is not your age that is at issue here. It is your behavior that is to be dealt with. Clear?" Adam nodded his head and looked at his father expectantly and with not a little trepidation. "First of all, you will take whatever money you have saved and you will make restitution to those in town who have ruined clothes and furnishings. Whatever your money does not cover, you will work off, either with me or with those you have affected, or both until every last penny has been satisfied. Is THAT clear?"

Adam nodded, "Yes, sir." and cleared his throat.

Ben continued. "Hoss, you will also work to pay off the damages in town but since you did not plan this debacle, your savings will remain untouched. Both of you can expect plenty of extra work around here, so that there will be NO free time to engage in pranks. For two months there will be no attendance by either of you at any of the town dances, neighbor's parties or any other amusement, SO DON'T ASK! You also have quite a bit to make up to Hop Sing for. He is ready to throttle the both of you and I can't blame him. I may do it myself!" Adam and Hoss returned humble gazes at their father. "Now, get busy on today’s work. You'll find lists by your breakfast plates in the morning of all your new responsibilities."

The two brothers made a bee line for the door. Hoss stopped at the door. "Pa, don't be hard on Little Joe, he didn't know!"

Ben glared at him. "Let me remind you that I know how and when to discipline my sons."

Hoss nodded and left the house.

Ben took a deep breath and made his way to the boys' bedroom. He went in without knocking, making Joe jump to his feet. "Joseph, is it true that you went into Jack Wolfe's place?"

Joe's voice was thin and his throat was dry as he answered. "Yes, sir."

Ben sighed. "Even though, you have been told not to go near his place?'

Joe nodded, sadly.

"And is it true that you stowed away in the wagon without your brothers' knowledge?"

Joe slowly nodded yes.

"You didn't ask me if you could go, Joseph. I was looking for you all morning. And, your telling Hop Sing does not cut it with me, son! Now, you disobeyed me by going inside Jack Wolfe's place, you deceived me and your brothers by sneaking into town with them and you neglected your morning chores. All three of these are very big problems in my book, Joseph, aren't they?"

Joe's eyes were brimming with tears at the realization of how much trouble he was in. "I want you to think about what you have done, Joseph, while I decide what your punishment will be."

Tears spilled freely from Little Joe's eyes as he watched his father turn and walk out the door.

Ben went out onto the porch and found Adam standing there, drinking deeply from the water ladel.

"Adam," Ben said. "earlier you said your prank was payback to Mr. Wolfe. Payback for what?" Ben asked.

Adam frowned remembering the incident. "Day before yesterday, remember? He called us weak, called you weak! He said we were soft because you refused to help that bounty hunter find his man last month."

"That man deserved a trial. He never would've made it to the courthouse in Reno, son, you know that! I protected the man until the circuit judge came through, that's all!"

"You know that and I know that, but Jack Wolfe thinks we're soft."

"Son, do you really think that an endorsement, either positive or negative, from a man like Jack, should make you doubt yourself or your father?" Ben searched Adam's eyes for a hint of reaction to what he said. "You think about that, son!" Ben turned away from Adam to go back inside.

Ben walked through the front door and his eyes began watering at the odor that permeated the house. "What is that smell, Hop Sing?"

The young Chinese man, still frowning said. "Recipe to remove paint. See if work."

Ben took a deep breath and sat in the chair near the fireplace. Picking up the newspaper, he began reading. But his mind was unquiet, ‘how to deal with Little Joe?'

He folded the newspaper and tapped it on his leg. He knew what he had to do but he dreaded it. He loved his sons more than life, they each reminded him of their mothers, whom he had loved desperately. Seeing them hurt, sad or in danger tore at his heart for he saw those fine, strong women there, as well as his precious sons. When he had had to give one of them a tanning, he suffered intensely, though his sons didn't know this. He was good at concealing it, making his face appear more like granite than flesh, which had the added benefit of scaring the tar out of his boys. Having made his decisions, he got up and went to the front door, opened it and called Adam and Hoss.

Then he went to the boys' bedroom and called Joseph out to the great room. Little Joe came out of the bedroom, eyes wide with worry. "Sit down!" Ben pointed to the settee. Joe did. Adam and Hoss came in, hats in hand. "Sit down." He motioned to the settee. They did. All three cast side-long glances at each other. A phenomenon that Ben almost found amusing when it happened. "Look at me. My father would have taken a strap to your backsides for what you have done today. Tell me why I shouldn't!"

Adam looked at his father in astonishment. "Pa, I'm a little old for that, don't you think?"

Ben thought for a moment, "No, not in my opinion, try again!"

Adam looked at his father, stunned, as he said, "Pa, you can't be serious!"

Ben stared his son down, "I am very serious, I can assure you!" Turning his attention to his youngest, he fixed Joe with a firm glare. "Joseph! You disobeyed me today by going into Mr. Wolfe's place and you deceived me and your brothers by sneaking into town. You will wait for your tanning in my bedroom." Ben turned to Adam and Hoss. "Now, you two go out to the barn and wait for me." His sons, visibly shaken, left the room. Ben put one hand on the back of the settee, leaned on it and looked down at the floor. He hated this! He stood up and walked into his bedroom and found Little Joe sitting on the bed. Ben sat down next to him. "Joseph, I want you to know that I love you and you are very important to me. That is why I cannot look on your behavior today with the least allowance and it kills my soul to have to spank you. But I have to, do you understand that?"

Joe nodded though the tears coursed down his cheeks. Ben drew him across his lap and delivered the tanning full force though not in anger. Joe was crying out loud and Ben's eyes pricked with the beginning of tears. When it was over, Ben stood Little Joe up and told him to get ready for bed. Joe left the room and Ben heard the boys' door open and close, and the muffled sounds of his baby crying his heart out.

Ben rubbed his eyes, then took a steadying breath and stood up. He wished he was so certain that he was doing the right thing with Adam and Hoss. He stood up and walked out of his bedroom, then through the front door, closing it with a bang behind him.

Inside the barn, Hoss and Adam looked at each other when they heard the sound of the front door closing. Soon they could hear their father's rapid footsteps. Adam was surprised at the pounding of his heart, he could hear it in his ears.

Ben entered the barn, his face a mask of stone, eyes piercing, belt hanging from his right hand. "It seems that I need to remind you both how I deal with intentional bad behavior. I'm shocked that at your ages you would do something like this! Eric! Stand up and face the wall and put your hands against it."

Hoss did as he was told. Ben delivered three full-power strokes. Hoss grimaced and stifled a sob at each stripe. "Get to the house!"

Ben turned to his eldest son. "Adam!" Ben motioned with his head at the spot where Hoss had been. Adam hesitated, then took the same position. Ben applied five strokes. Adam gritted his teeth in silence until the last stripe which made him cry out. "Go!" Ben pointed toward the house.

Ben watched Adam leave the barn and heard his footsteps heading toward the house. Alone, he dropped the belt to the floor, sat down on a hay bale and cried as if his heart would break. Adam, had not gone all the way to the house and heard his father's anguished sobs. He turned around and went back to the barn. Seeing his father like this nearly tore his heart out. He walked toward his father and then kneeled by him. He wrapped his arms around his father. Ben responded by embracing Adam. They were both crying. "Pa, I'm so sorry. I was really stupid."

Ben stroked Adam's hair and said, "I just couldn't give you a pass on this one, son."

They released each other and stood up. Adam's head hung in humility.

"Go on in, Adam. I'm going to sit outside for awhile." Ben watched as Adam left the barn and headed to the house.

Ben reached down and picked up his belt and threaded it on. He left the barn, and closed the door. He walked slowly to the house and stepped up onto the porch. Easing himself in his rocking chair, he tried to settle his mind. Hop Sing came out with fresh, hot coffee.

"Sit down, Hop Sing." The young man was always eager to talk with Ben, but tonight Ben was silent for a long time. Hop Sing waited, knowing that each time Ben took a breath in, he was trying to find the words. "Hop Sing, it has been quite a while since all three of the boys were in trouble at the same time. I . . . hope I did right by them. Adam is a man, yet he acted like a boy today."

Hop Sing smiled to himself. "Mr. Adam is yet caught between two lives. One as adult, one as youth. Not through passage yet." The young Chinese man looked hesitantly at Ben, and found the courage to speak of his family. "Hop Sing think Mr. Cartwright feel sorry for my father, fifteen children, fourteen bad, one good."

Ben tried not to smile, "Who is the good one?"

Hop Sing smiled again. "My sister, Mai Ling! She always in good favor with father."

Ben looked at him quizzically, "What about you, Hop Sing?"

The Chinese man became silent and thoughtful. "Hop Sing was father's supreme test!"

Ben looked at the young man and started to smile, then started to laugh and soon was laughing uncontrollably. Hop Sing joined in and the two shared some much-needed humor. They spent nearly an hour outside on the porch. "Mr. Cartwright, forgive intrusion, son know father love greatly, son love and respect father . . . even more today."

Ben looked at Hop Sing and felt his heart fill and a sudden lump rose in his throat. He nodded his appreciation to the young man.

Hop Sing went in the house and Ben followed. Ben looked at the closed door to his son's room. He walked toward it and opened the door. He found all three awake sitting on their beds. He went to Joe's bunk, placed his hand on his head and kissed him on the forehead. "Goodnight, son!"

Joe looked at him with red-rimmed eyes. "Goodnight, Pa." Joe offered and reached up and kissed Ben on the cheek.

Ben smiled at Joe, then squatted down next to Hoss's bunk. "Son? Hoss? I wanted to say goodnight to you."

Hoss looked at the floor. "Goodnight, Pa." Ben took note that Hoss was not ready to accept any kindness yet. Ben didn't press him.

He turned to Adam's bed, and put his hand on Adam's shoulder, "Goodnight, Adam." Adam looked at him humbly, "Goodnight, Pa. I love you." Ben patted his shoulder and offered a half smile.

He glanced once more at Hoss. "I do love each of you very much." All three looked at him as he left and closed the door.

Ben walked to his chair by the fireplace and sat down with pencil and paper, to write out the lists of chores that Adam, Hoss and Little Joe would find at their breakfast plates in the morning.

Adam was lying there, awake. Little Joe seemed to have fallen asleep almost as soon as Ben closed the door. Adam looked over at Hoss, who was awake too. "What I want to know is why I got five licks and you only got three!"

Hoss rolled over on his side and looked at his brother, raised his arm and pointed at Adam for emphasis. "That's because you planned the whole thing, from top to bottom!"

Adam looked at Hoss with irritation. "As soon as I told you about the plan, you were with me from square one!" Adam whispered loudly, slamming his fist into the mattress.

"Well, 'older brother' you practically forced me to spit on it!" Hoss replied.

"I did not, you went along willingly!" Adam argued.

Hoss raised his voice. "All I know is this is only the second time Pa's ever taken a strap to me and the other time was because of you, too!"

Adam was furious. "Now you're going to blame me for your decisions?"

Hoss was about the say something when the door opened.

"Boys!" Ben said calmly. "You each have yourselves to blame for your poor choices. And Adam, the reason you got two more licks than Hoss was because it was YOUR idea and YOUR plan! Enough said. Goodnight!" Ben closed the door with a bang.

"Will you two shut up? I got a lot more swats than you both did and I'm not complaining! You guys are always saying how tough you are! You're sissies!" Little Joe piped up in a loud voice. He was instantly smashed with two pillows.

"Go to sleep, Little Joe!" teased Hoss.

"Yeah, go to sleep, Little Joe!" Adam was laughing.

"EVERYBODY GO TO SLEEP! THERE'S LOTS OF WORK TO DO TOMORROW, IF YOU REMEMBER!" Ben's voice could be heard from the great room.

Silence immediately engulfed the house. Ben stood up and walked to the table and placed his written lists at each boy's place. Then he turned off the lamp and went to his bedroom.

As he sat on his bed, he looked at the photos of his son's mothers. Oftentimes, he would silently speak to them when he was troubled about his sons. He frequently found insight about whether he was right or wrong in dealing with these boys. This night he felt no self-doubt about his actions. Ben closed his eyes and sought restorative sleep. But, all was well with him, knowing that he and his boys deeply love each other.

As he lay there, his mind wandered back to the spectacle of Jack Wolfe standing in front of his saloon, covered in boot blacking. Then he felt the giggle rising up, uncontrollably. He covered his head with the pillow and laughed till his sides hurt.

The End.