Partners

By Marion

 

Rating: PG (some bad words…)

The Ponderosa and the Cartwrights are not mine (except for Annie, of course) Thank you to Mr. Dortort for allowing me to play on the Ponderosa for a little while. This story is purely for entertainment and is not intended to infringe on the rights of anyone else involved with Bonanza and Ponderosa.

As always, thanks to Nancy for her beta reading!

 

Ben Cartwright groaned as he rode into the yard. He had spent the entire day chasing stray calves, dragging ornery cows from mud puddles and doing other dirty jobs necessary to merge two herds into one. He hadn’t been alone, of course. He had three of the vaqueros that had previously worked for Margaret Greene, and who now worked for him. But Ben was never the kind of man who could ask one of his ranch hands to do work that he himself would not do.

His body ached as he swung himself from Buck’s back. Those vaqueros were at least twenty years younger than him, and that evening Ben was feeling every one of his forty-five years. He glanced around the yard, pleased to see that everything was in order. He nodded to himself as a quick look at the stalls showed him that his son’s horse was already bedded down for the evening. Hoss had left early that morning; he was going to ride through the tall Ponderosa pines to see which stands might be best for harvesting this year. Ben would, of course, make the final decision, but it gave the boy an opportunity to learn a side of the family business that Adam had previously handled.

Adam. Ben sighed. It had been three weeks since his oldest son had left with Margaret and Tess Greene for Salt Lake City. They planned to join a larger wagon train there and head south to New Mexico and eventually to Texas, where Adam would catch a ship to Boston. Ben had spent three weeks trying to fend off the worry that every parent felt when a child has left – that his son was hurt, or sick, or dead. Ben knew he was not being rational, and that Adam was no doubt fine, but still, it was a father’s prerogative to worry.

Ben quickly took care of Buck, and, after checking to be sure all the chores were complete, he closed the big barn doors behind him. They had been hearing wolves near the house at night, and Ben could ill afford to lose his horses.

The twilight was gathering as Ben made his way from the barn to the house, and he smiled to see the first of the stars appear in the sky. All his life he had taken comfort from seeing the stars. He had pleasant memories of lying with his brothers on the beach at the Cape, listening to Father name the stars and re-tell the Greek legends that lent their names to so many of the constellations. In later years, he stood on the bow of the Wanderer, listening as Captain Stoddard explained celestial navigation. Then, as Ben left the east and began his long trek west, the stars came with him, and their familiarity reassured him.

Finally, he shook his head and stepped onto the porch. He reached for the knob, but the door swung open, as though of its own accord.

"Pa! Hey, Pa!"

Ben held his smile as his youngest son’s voice cracked. Joe’s voice had been doing that with increasing frequency, and Ben knew from his other sons – and his own experience – that this could be a source of great embarrassment to the boy. "What is it, Joseph?"

Joe’s grin widened. "There’s a surprise for you on your desk!" The boy fairly danced around, so excited was he about the surprise.

Ben couldn’t help but smile then. Joe’s enthusiasm was infectious, and Ben stepped into the house. Annie, Hoss and Hop Sing all turned to face him, their looks expectant. Ben tossed his gun belt, gloves and hat on the small table by the door and hurried to the desk. He had a hunch he knew what was waiting there.

Ben took one look at the letter, with its familiar handwriting, and he felt the world lift off his shoulders. Adam had reached Salt Lake City in safety. Ben grinned as he looked at his family, waiting anxiously. "A letter from Adam." He held it up, as though they didn’t know that already. "We’ll read it after the chores are done." Ben no longer felt a need to rush into reading it, now that he knew Adam was safe.

"All done, Pa." Hoss pulled out a chair by the table and settled in, one leg crossed over the other.

Ben glanced at Hop Sing. "All right, then. Once we’re done with supper, we can read it."

"Supper not yet ready. Will be done shortly." The young man hurried back to his stove while Annie spread the last of the dishes.

Ben’s grin split his face and he nodded. "All right then. I guess there’s no reason we can’t read this now." He crossed the room and sat at the table across from Hoss. The address, Mr. Benjamin Cartwright, Eagle Station, Utah Territory, was neatly inscribed on the front. He broke the seal, slipped the thin pages from the envelope. One page was labeled simply "Pa" and this Ben slid into his trouser pocket. The second page he unfolded. Frowning, he looked at it briefly before drawing the light closer. That was better. He began to read.

Salt Lake City, Utah Territory

Dear Pa, Annie, Hoss, Joe and Hop Sing,

I hope this letter finds you in the same good health in which it leaves me. The Greenes and I had a relatively easy journey to Salt Lake City. The other wagons in whose company we rode were driven by experienced men, and we encountered few of the problems that I recalled from our trip west.

Mrs. Greene and I have found a large party heading south tomorrow. We were fortunate that we had no delays on our journey here, or we would have missed this group. It appears to be twenty or thirty wagons, and I take comfort in the safety of numbers. I have asked around, and there are no rumors of hostile tribes this spring, although there is no shortage of lurid stories of previous trains. I take no notice of those storytellers, for I believe that most of them have found their tales at the bottom of a whisky bottle.

Salt Lake City is an interesting town. Gentiles – that is non-Mormons – are decidedly in the minority, although I have not felt any hostility toward us. Of course, we are on the outskirts of the town, and we have been here only the two days. I wish I could spend more time here exploring but perhaps I shall do that on my return trip.

Please assure Mr. Orowitz that I have delivered his letters as requested, and that his order should be delivered to Eagle Station within the month. I would write more, but I must be sure the wagon is set for our journey. I will post letters at every opportunity, but I fear those opportunities will be few and far between. If you do not hear from me for a while, you must not fear the worst. As I said, our company is large, and my fellow travelers appear to be experienced.

I miss you all. You loving son, brother, cousin, and friend,

Adam

Ben sat back, relieved to have heard from his son. Hoss and Joe were grinning, and Annie appeared to be wiping a tear away. Hop Sing had a little smile, and Ben knew the rest of the family was as relieved as he.

Joe leaned toward his father. "Hey, Pa, what’d Adam say in that other letter?"

Ben raised an eyebrow. "That letter is addressed to me, Joseph."

"Yeah, but what…" Joe stopped as Ben tilted his head in warning. "I guess you’ll tell us what it says if we need to know."

Ben nodded as Hop Sing placed a platter of meat on the table. Ben waited until Hop Sing settled into his seat before picking up the platter. "The beef smells delicious, Hop Sing." He speared a few pieces before passing it to Annie. "How did you do today, Hoss?"

Hoss grinned. "Well, sir, I found some real good stands. I think the lumber company’ll be real happy with these trees. When’re they comin’?"

Ben thought a minute. "Next week, maybe, or the week after. You’ll have to show me the stands so I can take them up there."

The young man frowned. "I can do that, Pa."

Ben shook his head. "No, I’d better do it." Before Hoss could respond, Ben turned his attention to Annie and Joe. "How was school today."

"Boring." Joe rolled his eyes. "You know, Pa, I’ve been thinkin’."

"Good. You should be doing that, especially in school." Ben reached out to take a roll from the basket by Annie. He winked at her as she snickered.

"Pa…" Joe sat back in disgust. "I meant I been thinkin’ about school." He leaned forward again and picked up his fork. "I’m fifteen, Pa. I don’t think I need to go to school anymore."

Ben sighed. He didn’t want to have this conversation tonight. "You think you know everything, do you?"

Joe shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "No, sir, I didn’t say I knew everything." He raised his chin and looked his father in the eye. "But I know enough to manage a ranch."

"I’ll settle for you doing your chores properly, Joseph." Ben’s tone was flat, but the boy must have known that his father didn’t want to hear anymore, for he looked back at his plate and finished his supper without speaking again.

Ben noticed Annie looking at Joe sympathetically. "Do you have something you want to say, Annie?"

Annie shook her head. "No, Uncle Ben." She, too, looked at her plate and concentrated on her supper.

 

Ben waited until everyone else went to bed before he pulled Adam’s letter from his pocket. He stared at the folded sheet, with its single word address, for a long moment before he opened it. Shaking his head, he leaned closer to the fire for better light. When did his eyes get so bad?

His bad eyesight was forgotten as he scanned the letter. Adam’s handwriting was as meticulous as the man himself, and Ben felt a pang of loneliness as he began to read.

Dear Pa,

I have only a few minutes to scribble these hasty lines. The journey to Salt Lake City has given me a chance to think about our last conversations. I know now that you are right – had I not taken t his opportunity to go to college, I would never have forgiven myself. Thank you for making me understand that.

I wanted you to know that I left the Ponderosa with a light heart, secure in the knowledge that I left with your blessing and your good wishes. No matter where my journey takes me, I know that eventually my path will lead me home, to you, and to my family. I know, too, that I will never walk alone.

I must close now. I need to be sure the wagon is ready to leave tomorrow. Incidentally, we were able to acquire several oxen in Salt Lake City. The creatures have been well tended this winter, and I am confident they will allow us to reach our destination.

I will write when I can. Until then, I remain

Your loving son,

Adam

Ben awoke the next morning with a sense of foreboding. Today was Friday, the day set as Election Day. Two candidates had campaigned to fill Margaret’s council seat, but neither candidate had impressed Ben favorably. The first candidate, Tom Baker, had a small farm just south of Eagle Station. The second candidate, Hiram Newsome, was new in town. He had opened a barbershop a few months previously. Ben was concerned about Newsome because he had spent the past couple of weeks buying people drinks at Jack’s place. The man seemed to have a lot of money for a barber. Ben suspected that Jack Wolf was behind Newsome’s largesse, and Ben could guess how Wolf would expect to be repaid.

Ben, as one of the council members, would stay at the polling box until the voting ended at two o’clock. Then he and the other council members would count the ballots. Hoss was going to accompany Ben to town. Although Hoss was too young to vote this year, Ben felt it was important for his son to get a better understanding of how town government worked. Annie and Joe had also begged to be allowed in town, but Ben knew that Eagle Station would be full of all sorts of people today. Election Day would also be an excuse to take off work, and to drink at the town’s saloons. Because of that, John Taylor had declared a school holiday.

After breakfast, Hoss hurried out to saddle the horses while Ben sat at the table finishing his last cup of coffee. Annie was by the washbasin, drying the dishes.

"Joseph, do you remember everything you need to do today?" Ben frowned as Joe rolled his eyes, and the young man smiled weakly.

"Sure, Pa. You want me to check the tools, sharpen the axes, clean and oil everything that needs cleaning and oiling, turn over the garden for Hop Sing and Annie and if I finish all that, I’m to repair any tack that needs it." Joe reached across the table to pluck the last slice of ham from the plate before Annie could clear it.

Ben nodded. "That should keep you busy until we get home."

"Sure, Pa." Joe wiped his hands on his trouser legs. "I’ll go help Hoss now."

Ben watched his son leave the house and smiled. He knew that they’d be lucky if Joe did half the work he was supposed to. But, the boy would do his best.

Annie settled on the chair next to Ben. "Joe doesn’t have to do the garden, Uncle Ben, I can do it."

"No, you’ve got enough chores to do. I’m sure there’s some mending or cleaning that Hop Sing is expecting you to finish." Ben pushed the coffee cup away from him and stood up. He patted Annie on the back before hurrying outside.

Hoss and Ben rode in silence for several minutes. Ben was enjoying the signs that spring had actually arrived – birds were flitting to and fro, flowers were beginning to dot the meadow, and a warm breeze blew gently at their backs.

"Pa, who you figurin’ on votin’ for?"

Ben was startled when Hoss broke the silence and he said nothing for a moment. "Honestly, son, I don’t find myself particularly impressed with either candidate, but I will vote for Tom Baker."

Hoss nodded. "That’s who I’d vote for, if I could."

Ben raised an eyebrow. "Oh?" His tone invited Hoss to explain.

"Well, sir, the way I see it, Mr. Newsome’s a barber, but he’s throwin’ a lot of money around. Not that I’m saying a barber can’t have the money, but I’ve seen the way he dresses, and he doesn’t look like he’s got two nickels to rub together. Plus, he’s been talking a blue streak about the good things Jack Wolf’s done for Eagle Station."

"And you think those things are somehow connected?" Ben wanted to see how Hoss made the link between Jack Wolf and Hiram Newsome.

"Yes, sir, I do. I think maybe Mr. Wolf is giving Mr. Newsome the money to be buying the drinks and such, and that Mr. Wolf is gonna expect something in return. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mr. Newsome ends up supportin’ Mr. Wolf a lot on the council."

Ben nodded. "And what about Mr. Baker?"

Hoss shrugged. "I guess I gotta agree with you, Pa. I’m not real impressed by him. He’s kind of mousey, but he seems like an honest man. I expect I’d vote for him, if I could."

Ben nodded again. He was impressed with the way Hoss had reached his conclusion, and he told his son that. Hoss sat a little straighter in the saddle.

Voting took place at the town hall, and it was scheduled to begin at ten o’clock and end by three o’clock. Any property owner – man or woman - in the region was eligible to vote. Ben and Eli manned the polls, while Hoss, who quickly became restless, volunteered to help Ruth at the store. Eli looked relieved when Hoss spoke up. He confided to Ben that he had felt guilty about leaving his wife alone on a day when the store was sure to be busy. But, he didn’t want Ben to be alone, he knew that Shelby couldn’t leave her saloon unattended, and he did not want to subject Ben to Jack’s presence all day.

The two men were busy in the morning; the voters had lined up outside before the polls opened. When the crowd finally dwindled to one or two occasional voters, Shelby dropped by with lunch for them and scowled when both eyed the plates with suspicion.

"I done told you. I got me a new cook." She thumped the plates on the table in front of them. "He’s from back east, he didn’t make it minin’ gold and he decided to cook fer me." She rolled her eyes. "I’ll be back fer the plates later." With that she turned on her heel and left the building.

Ben looked at Eli and shrugged. "Well, she hasn’t killed anyone yet with her cooking. How bad can this be?" Ben picked up a fork and studied his plate. The food looked edible enough. The first bite of the steak convinced him. "Mmm. This is as good as Hop Sing’s!"

"I would not tell him that, my friend." Eli winked at Ben and turned his attention to his own plate. The two men ate in silence for several minutes until Eli pushed away his plate.

"So, Ben, how are things on your Ponderosa?"

Ben shrugged. "We’re doing fine."

Eli tilted his head as he leaned forward, resting his arms on the table. "You are looking very tired. Ruth is worried about you."

Ben waved his hand toward his old friend. "I’ m just busy and working hard. It’s not easy with Adam gone. True, I got a good foreman when Tomas decided to stay on, but still…"

"You have Hoss and Little Joe."

Ben’s grin split his face. "And they’re hard workers, but it’s not like having another man in the house."

The conversation was interrupted by the arrival of a voter. After checking the voter list, Ben handed the man a blank ballot and waited patiently as the voter wrote something and stuffed the paper into the locked box. Neither Eli nor Ben spoke until the man had left the room.

"Ben." Eli’s voice was faintly chiding. "How old is your Erik?"

Ben was surprised by the question. "He’s twenty."

"And how old was Adam when you began the ranch?"

Ben scowled. "He was twenty. But he was older, more mature. Adam was always older."

Eli nodded his head, but his expression was blank. "Because you depended on him, he seemed older."

Ben nodded, but said nothing.

"So, perhaps if you depend on Hoss, he, too, will be older, more mature."

Whatever Ben wanted to say was lost as the rest of the council members hurried into the room, followed by the two candidates and, if Ben didn’t miss his guess, at least half the voters.

Jack swaggered to the table and tossed his hat beside the ballot box. "I expect it’s time to count the votes."

Ben refrained from rolling his eyes. "I’m surprised I didn’t see you sooner, Jack. You know, making sure the vote was honest."

If Jack noticed Ben’s emphasis on honesty, he didn’t let on. "Well, Ben, I may not agree with you on everything, but I do know that you are honest to a fault."

Ben couldn’t think of a time when he and Jack had agreed on anything. "Only you would find honesty to be a fault."

Jack said nothing, but pulled up a chair. "Now then, who has the key?"

"I do." Shelby crossed the room and sat next to Jack, the key to the box in the hand that did not hold her cigar. She shoved the cigar into her mouth, fumbled with the lock a bit and then opened the box. She pulled out the ballots and gave Ben, Jack and Eli a handful of papers.

The four council members counted in silence. When each was done, they wrote the number of votes on a separate page. Eli quickly totaled the tally, and gave Ben a frustrated glance before looking up at the crowd.

"We have 36 votes for Hiram Newsome, and 32 votes for Tom Baker." He set the paper down, stood and held his hand out to Hiram Newsome. "Congratulations Mr. Newsome. You are the new member of the Eagle Station Town Council."

Jack whooped and shouted that drinks at the hotel were on him. Ben shrugged. He had suspected that where this election was concerned, drinks had been on the house for a while. But, the people had decided, even if he didn’t agree with the decision. He reached across the table and extended his hand to the barber.

"Congratulations, Hiram." Ben felt almost hypocritical, but he couldn’t prove that the election had been anything less than honest. It wouldn’t do to be on a bad footing with the newest member of the town council.

Newsome was quickly whisked away by Jack, and Ben excused himself, too. He found Hoss waiting at the back of the town hall. "C’mon, son. Let’s go home." Hoss said nothing, but followed his father to the livery where they had left the horses for the day.

 

Ben’s mood didn’t improve on the ride home. He and Hoss were less than a mile from town when the skies opened up and father and son were drenched in minutes. They rode in misery for more than a half hour, only to have the sky clear and the air dry as they came over the hill that led to the house.

Ben shook his hat as he rode into the yard, the drips of water splashing him in the eye. He swiped at his eyes to clear them, but immediately frowned. Annie was standing by the cold frame on the side of the house, Mitch right behind her with his arm around her waist, holding her close to him. The two of them had their backs to Ben, and he could hear Annie giggling.

Ben slid off his horse, handing the reins to Hoss. He stormed across the few feet separating him from Annie and Mitch. "What is going on?"

Annie and Mitch both jerked as they turned, and Mitch withdrew his arm. Annie’s smile quickly faded.

"Hey Uncle Ben. I wasn’t expecting you home so early."

"That’s obvious." Mitch flinched at Ben’s growl.

Annie looked puzzled for a minute, but quickly nodded. "Oh. You’re wondering about that." She waved toward the cold frame, but Ben only nodded. His balled fists rested on his hips.

"I, ah, was just checking the plants in the cold frame. Adam made it a bit too wide, and when I leaned to look at the plants in the back, I slipped. I couldn’t get up. It’s a good thing Mitch was here to help me."

"And why are you here?" Ben turned his glare to Mitch, who wiped his hands on his pants.

"I, um, my father asked me to see if we could borrow some tools again. Annie asked if I would help her a minute with the plants." The young man swallowed convulsively.

Annie ducked her head before looking back at Ben. "Hop Sing’s been out here most of the time, he had to go check on the bread. We haven’t been alone, if that’s what you were worried about."

Hop Sing appeared on the porch as though the mention of his name called him. "Is truth, Mr. Cartwright. Mitch has helped Annie and me set plants in cold frame." He stepped down, another tray of small pots in his arms. "Should have many plants to fill garden."

Ben grunted. "All right then." He turned to be sure that Hoss was taking care of Buck. That he could see neither son nor horse told him that Hoss was doing just that. "It’s almost supper, Mitch. You’re welcome to stay." It wasn’t much of an olive branch, but it would have to do. He stepped toward the porch, but was stopped by Annie’s hand resting lightly on his arm. He turned to look down at her.

"I’ve given my word, Uncle Ben." Her voice was quiet and sad.

Her disappointment scalded Ben and he gently caressed her face. "I know you have, sweetheart, and I’m sorry. It’s been a difficult day." He felt only a little better when she smiled at him. Her quickness to forgive made him feel worse.

 

Supper was a lively meal, although Ben remained a silent observer. Hoss was entertaining everyone with stories of the customers at the trading post. Eli and Ruth had been swamped recently with emigrants who had obviously wintered in Salt Lake City and were now ready to cross the Sierra. According to Hoss, they had had some real characters today.

Finally Hop Sing turned to Ben. "You did not say who won election."

Hoss answered for his father. "The fella Mr. Wolf wanted to win."

Joe muttered, "Figured that must be it."

Ben rounded on Joe. "You figured what must be it?"

The young man’s eyes widened. "It’s just well, obvious that you were in a bad mood when you came home. I figured Mr. Wolf’s candidate musta won."

"I wasn’t in a bad mood." Joe rolled his eyes, which irritated Ben even more. "You all have chores to do. Go on." He gestured toward the door and Hoss, Joe and Annie all hurried from his sight, while Hop Sing began washing the dishes. Only Mitch hesitated.

"Mr. Cartwright, may I speak with you a moment?" The young man’s eyes darted nervously around the room, and Ben’s heart sank as he nodded his permission.

"Mr. Cartwright, I know I’m on my last chance with you and Annie. I’ve abided by your rules, even if I don’t always agree with them, and I’ve worked hard to regain your trust." Mitch leaned forward. "I don’t know what else to do, sir."

Ben stared at Mitch. He had been so convinced that Mitch was going to ask permission to marry Annie that he didn’t know what to say. Mitch hesitated a moment, and then stood and walked silently to the door. He paused to pick up his hat, and then turned to Ben. "Good night, sir." He was gone before Ben could respond.

Ben spent the night hiding behind his books. Despite his protests to Joe at the supper table, Ben knew that he had been a bear the past few days, and he thought if he could only get caught up on the book work, he would be in a better mood. Joe and Hoss played checkers by the fire, while Annie and Hop Sing sat at the table, heads close together, earnestly discussing something about plants.

Slowly everyone else headed to his or her beds. Hop Sing went first, as he usually did, soon followed by Annie and then by Joe. Only Hoss lingered by the fire. Ben didn’t miss his son’s glances toward the desk, but he did ignore them. He was tired and he needed to get the bookwork done. Finally, Hoss too headed to bed.

When the clock chimed eleven, Ben set his pencil down and stretched wearily. He stared a moment into the lamp’s globe, watching the flame dance, before reaching forward and turning the knob that would extinguish the glow. He sat unmoving, his hand still on the lamp, for several more minutes. He was feeling guilty about not paying attention to Hoss when it was obvious the boy wanted to talk to him, but even more than that, he was feeling guilty for jumping to the wrong conclusion about Annie and Mitch. They had both given their words, and he knew he could trust them. He knew he was being irrational, but he found it difficult to stop himself. Finally he rose, stretched again, and headed for bed. Morning would come all too soon.

 

Ben was surprised to see Tomas first thing Saturday morning. From the corner of his eye, Ben could see Joe pause on the way to the barn, as though trying to hear what Tomas said to Ben.

"Seņor Cartwright, a word, por favor?"

Ben stepped off the porch. "Is there a problem, Tomas?"

The tall man shook his head. "No. Today we shall begin to break the new wild horses. There are fifteen of them."

Ben nodded impatiently. "I knew that, we talked about it Thursday."

Tomas held out his hands. "Si, I remember this. But I think perhaps we need some help."

Ben’s shoulders slumped. "Tomas, I can’t spare Hoss today, and I have an appointment myself."

"No, Seņor. I do not mean your big son. I mean Joseph."

Ben’s eyes narrowed. "No. He’s never done it before." He suspected Joe had put the foreman up to this; the boy had been pleading for weeks to be allowed to break horses.

Tomas nodded as though he expected this answer. "Si, this I know. But if he is to be a rancher, he must know the work his men do." Again he held up his hand. "I will teach him all that I know."

Ben shook his head. "No, no. I can’t be there to watch."

Tomas pulled himself to his full height, and he looked down at Ben. "Seņor Cartwright, who taught you all you know of wild horses?"

"Carlos Rivera." Ben was confused, uncertain what Carlos would have to do with Joe learning to ride horses.

"Si, he was a very good rider. But even the best rider must learn from someone. Who do you think taught Carlos?"

Ben shrugged. "I assumed his father."

Tomas grinned. "You would think this, but I tell you, the patron was not a good horseman. A good and honest man, a wise rancher, but he preferred his horses docile. I taught Carlos all he knew and now I will teach your son. There will not be a finer horseman in all the area as your Joseph when we are done."

Ben stepped closer to Tomas. "I didn’t know that you knew the Riveras."

The man’s grin faded. "Knew them and loved them like my family. Seņor Rivera was very kind to me. He gave me work when my own papa died. I was only ten years old. Carlos to me was a beloved little brother." He rested his hands on his hips and regarded Ben. "You know, Seņor Cartwright, you remind me of Seņor Rivera."

Ben was mildly insulted. "I’m a bad horseman?"

Tomas’s laughter echoed in the yard. "No, Seņor. The patron also had difficulty understanding that his son was old enough to begin a man’s work. It took many months for me to convince him that Carlos was old enough to ride the wild horses. Finally, Seņor Rivera gave his permission that I might teach Carlos to ride on his next birthday."

Ben started to see where this was leading. "When Carlos turned fifteen, you mean?"

Tomas ducked his head before smiling at Ben. "No, Seņor. When Carlos turned twelve, I began to teach him."

Ben knew he was beaten. "All right, you may begin to teach Joseph, but I don’t want him on any green horses. I want him to ride only ones that have been tired out by more experienced riders." He turned to Joe, who was pretending to be stacking wood. "Joseph?" The boy hurried to his side. "Joseph, Tomas wishes to teach you to ride the wild horses." Joe’s grin and Tomas’s wink told Ben all he needed to know about the plan his son and his foreman had hatched. "You are to do everything you are told. If I catch one hint that you have disobeyed Tomas, you won’t want to sit on a gentled horse, let alone a wild one. Do you understand?"

Joe nodded again. "Yes, sir! I gotta go get a lunch." He turned and ran into the house.

Ben watched him go, and then turned to Tomas. "Keep him safe, Tomas."

"Like he was my own son." Tomas headed to his horse, but turned to look at Ben. "You know, Seņor Cartwright, you remind me of Seņor Rivera for another reason. He, too, was a very good papa. I think you would have liked him very much."

Before Ben could respond, Hoss and Hop Sing hurried from the house, laughing as they came. Hoss needed to pick up a new wagon wheel that Daniel was making, and Hop Sing was going into town to spend some time with his cousins. He hadn’t had a weekend in town since Christmas, and Ben could tell his friend was looking forward to it. They both waved to Ben as they climbed onto the wagon.

Joe came charging out of the house shortly after that. He headed into the barn and came out so quickly leading Paint that Ben was worried that the boy hadn’t tightened the saddle properly. But Joe would be embarrassed if his father checked his tack in front of one of the hands, so Ben held his tongue. He watched as Tomas and Joe rode over the hill before heading into the house.

Annie was placing the last of the breakfast dishes on the shelf when Ben entered the house. She smiled at her uncle as he closed the door behind him before turning her attention to the stove.

"Well, Annie looks like it’s just you and me this morning."

She frowned as she stirred something in a pot on the stove. "No, Uncle Ben. Don’t you remember? You gave me permission to go to Beth’s today. And Mr. Taylor’s coming to see you. I’ve got a stew cooking here for your lunch. There’s enough for both of you. There’s a pot of beans in the oven, but those are for supper. If you think of it, could you give them a stir sometime?" As she spoke, Annie bustled around the kitchen area, and then hurried to the table to pick up her sewing basket. She kissed her uncle on the cheek and headed to the door.

"Are you sure you trust me with your beans?" Ben smiled to take the sting from his words. He was relieved to see Annie return his smile.

"Just stir them, Uncle Ben. Don’t do anything else to them!" She grabbed her shawl and hurried out the door.

Ben shrugged as he got up to pour a fresh cup of coffee. It had been a long while since he had the house to himself. He longed to sit in front of the fire, and think, or write a letter to Adam, but had had too much work for that. Ben set the coffee pot back on the stove. Adam. How Ben missed his oldest son. Adam would be able to share the burden. He could talk to Adam about the ideas he had for the ranch now that it was bigger. But, Ben would not wallow in regret – Adam deserved the opportunity that Abel had offered.

A knock at the door drew Ben from his reverie. He crossed the room and opened the door just as John Taylor was raising his hand to knock again.

"Good morning, John." Ben stepped aside to admit his friend.

"Ben." John nodded as he removed his hat. "I was beginning to think you weren’t home. Is everything all right?"

Ben shrugged, somewhat embarrassed. "I was thinking about how much I miss Adam." He gestured toward the coffee pot on the stove, but John shook his head.

"Thank you, now; I had plenty this morning. I needed it after the night my son had." He gestured toward the table and the two men sat. John stared at his host for a minute.

Ben, are you sure everything’s all right? You look awful." The teacher shrugged. "Well, awful might be too strong a word, but you do look tired."

Ben ran his fingers over his face. "It’s been a tough few weeks, with Adam leaving just as we’re adding Greene Valley to the Ponderosa." He shifted uncomfortably. "If I’m being honest, I’ll admit that’s why I was thinking of him just now."

John tilted his head slightly. "Haven’t Hoss, Annie and Joe been helping?"

"Yes, of course they have." Ben’s tone was sharper than he intended. "But they don’t have Adam’s experience."

"Adam didn’t have any experience when you started this ranch. Neither did you, for that matter. Give those three a chance and I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

Ben was in no mood to discuss what his children could or could not do. He rested his arms on the table and leaned forward. "I’m sure you didn’t come all this way to tell me I’m raising my children wrong, John."

John raised an eyebrow as he opened the leather folder in front of him. "I came for two reasons. First, I finished your will, as you requested." He handed Ben a short document.

Ben skimmed it. He already knew the details. The Ponderosa was left to all four children, and Adam was named guardian for the other three. If Adam was still in school, and Hoss was not yet twenty-one, John and Lia Taylor were named guardians for the three minor children.

Ben took the pen that John proffered and signed the bottom line. John signed as witness, and Ben sighed. Better to not think of his own mortality.

John blew gently on the ink to dry it, and then set the will aside. He pulled a second document from his folder. His look was serious as he handed the sheet to Ben.

"This is a letter from Mr. Levy, your brother’s lawyer. He’s transferred the money as you requested, but he has grave concerns that you are making a mistake. He is hinting that he would like to visit and make sure that Annie’s interests are protected."

Ben slammed the table with his fist. "Who the devil does he think he is? Not in her best interest?" Ben sputtered a minute but quieted down at John’s upraised hand.

"I’ll write to him, Ben. He can’t do anything anyway. He has no legal standing. I’ll reassure him that you are acting in Annie’s best interests, and that she is being treated well."

"I don’t want him visiting John, not now." Ben shifted in his seat. He had no time for this infernal nonsense, and he already had plenty of people in Eagle Station telling him what he was doing wrong with his children. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves. "Would it help if Annie wrote to him?"

John thought a moment before allowing that it probably would. He glanced at the stove. "Is that offer of coffee still good?"

Ben nodded as he smiled slightly. "Yes, and Annie made it, not me, so you can’t complain about it." He stood and hurried to the stove. He looked over his shoulder as he poured a cup. "I’d like your opinion on something else, if you don’t mind." He returned to the table and set the coffee cup in front of John. "You noticed that I’m tired. To tell the truth, I’m finding it difficult to keep up with the ranch, and it doesn’t leave time for much else." Ben settled back into his chair. "I’m thinking of resigning from the town council."

John almost choked on his coffee. "You can’t!"

Ben was taken aback by the man’s vociferous response. "I need to consider it. Right now I’m not able to give my responsibilities on the council the attention they deserve, and I can’t help but think it’s time to let someone else have a chance."

John set his coffee mug on the table. "Ben, Jack Wolf is up to something. Eli says that Wolf is asking a lot of questions about who can serve on the council; he’s wondering why people who don’t own property within the town limits are allowed to serve on the council."

Ben inhaled sharply. "He’s trying to force me off."

"That’s what Eli and I think." John took another sip of coffee. "You’re his strongest opponent. If you’re gone…" John shrugged.

"But Eli and Shelby would still be there."

John raised a finger as though to make a point. "Ben, you saw how Wolf influenced the last election. If he does the same thing to replace you, that would give him a majority. Or, once he gets rid of you, he starts pushing to make sure that women can’t serve." He pushed his now empty cup of coffee away. "I know you’re stretched to the limit, Ben, but please reconsider." He stood. "I need to get home. But before I go, have you given any thought to Annie and Joe graduating?"

Ben rubbed his aching head. "I told you, I’m thinking about it."

"There’s only two weeks left in the term. I need your decision soon."

Ben stood abruptly. "And you shall have it this week."

Ben spent the rest of the morning working hard enough that he didn’t have to think. He helped several of the hands round up strays, and when he was done with that, he swung by the meadow where Tomas was breaking horses.

Joe was riding in the corral when Ben approached but Ben spared him only a glance. "Tomas?"

The foreman turned and smiled. "Senor Cartwright."

Ben did not get off his horse. "How are things going here?"

"On schedule. Joseph is a q quick student."

Ben nodded curtly. "Good. We’ll be able to meet the contract deadline then?"

"Si." Tomas half turned toward the corral. "You will want to watch your son now, no? He is an excellent rider."

One glance at the sun told Ben the day was passing quickly. "No, I can’t. I’ve got more work to do this afternoon." Ben turned his horse and with a quick wave to Joe, he rode off.

Ben spent the rest of the day doing his least favorite job, clearing stream blockages. By the time he got home, he was muddy, wet and exhausted. He barely had a chance to clean up before Annie had supper on the table.

Joe was busy telling Annie and Hoss about the day’s riding, but Ben’s thoughts were back in the conversation that he had had with John Taylor. He wondered what Wolf was up to. John was right, though. Ben couldn’t walk away from the town council, not after all the work he had done these past few years. Ben thought about John’s insistence that Annie and Joe were ready to graduate from school, and he shook his head. Lately everyone seemed to be telling him that his children were grown. Didn’t they think he knew how old Hoss, Joe and Annie were? A touch on his arm drew him back to the present.

"Uncle Ben?" Annie’s hand was resting near Ben’s elbow. "Did you hear anything I said?"

Smiling ruefully, Ben shook his head. "I’m sorry, Annie. No, I didn’t."

Annie looked at him, concerned. "Is something wrong?"

Ben shook his head again. "No, nothing for you to worry about. Now, what were you saying?"

"I was saying that Mitch said his mother invited us to go to a picnic after church tomorrow. He said she wouldn’t take no for an answer."

"When did you see him?" Ben’s voice was sharp. "You told me you were going to Beth’s."

Annie jerked her hand away from him. "I did go to Beth’s. Mitch stopped over to bring some seeds to Beth’s mother. Mrs. Devlin had promised them last fall." She looked down at her plate.

"Oh. Fine. A picnic sounds nice." He smiled at everyone. "We could use a little break."

Joe and Hoss muttered a quiet, "Sure, Pa," but Annie said nothing. Without looking up, she asked to be excused.

"I think I forgot to close the cold frame. I’ll do the dishes in a few minutes."

Ben shrugged as she hurried from the table but he looked up in surprise when Hoss pushed his chair back.

" ‘Scuse me, too, Pa. I got some chores to finish." Hoss strode to the door, pausing only long enough to grab Annie’s shawl from the peg by the door.

Ben tried asking Joe how the boy had fared with the horses, but Joe only answered in monosyllables. His attention was riveted on the door. Finally Ben stood. Annie had been outside too long, and she needed to do the dishes. He opened the door and paused, surprised to hear voices.

"…thinks the worst of me." Annie’s voice was tremulous, as though she had been crying. Ben looked to his left and saw her standing on the porch. Hoss stood in front of her, leaning one hand on the post, while the other rested on her shoulder. Both looked up guiltily as Ben stepped onto the porch.

Annie pulled away from Hoss and wrapped her shawl closer to her body. "Sorry, Uncle Ben, I’ll get to those dishes right now." She brushed past her uncle, but her eyes were glued to the ground as she walked. When the door closed, Ben turned back to Hoss.

"What was that about?"

Hoss gave him a look of pure disgust. "Nothin’, Pa." He pushed away from the porch. "I got chores to finish." Ben watched Hoss hurry into the barn. Ben sighed as he sat on the bench to admire the gathering twilight. It felt good to sit quietly, away from the books and chores. He wondered a minute what was bothering Annie, but he was pleased that she felt she could turn to Hoss. He knew that she was missing Adam a great deal. Those two had been very close.

By the time Ben shook himself from his reverie and headed back into the house, Joe was seated on the sofa and Annie was nowhere to be seen.

"Joe, have you seen Annie?"

Joe looked at his father briefly. "Said she was tired and wanted to go to bed." He stood and stretched. "I’m tired, too. Riding those horses was a lot more work than I thought it would be." He nodded toward Ben and crossed the living room in a few steps.

Ben settled at his desk, reluctant to go back to the bookwork that he loathed. He really missed Adam at times like this. He struggled with the numbers for what seemed like hours, only stopping when Hoss entered the house, quietly closing the front door for once.

"Chores done?"

"Yes, sir." Hoss stood in front of his father’s desk, and wiped his hands on his coat. Ben wondered what was making the boy so nervous.

"Pa, about Annie." Hoss looked over his shoulder toward Annie’s room, and then he turned back to Ben. He lowered his voice. "You oughta know that she’s not gonna sneak off with Mitch."

Ben ran his fingers through his hair, irritated. "Is that what that little scene was about on the porch?" He leaned back in his seat. "What was I supposed to think? She tells me that she’s spending the day with Beth and the next thing I know, she’s giving me a message from Mitch." Ben threw his pencil on the desk. "Tell me how I was supposed to know that Mitch had come to the Swenson’s to deliver seeds from his mother?"

Hoss stood straight, his head thrown back slightly. "On accounta she just told you that three minutes before. Good night, Pa." Hoss turned on his heel and stalked to the bunkroom.

Ben stared after him for a minute, then slammed the books closed. Annie knew he wasn’t really paying attention to the conversation. Ben shoved his chair away from the desk and stood. Annie was just like Elizabeth, always taking offense when none was meant. Ben blew out the lamp and banked the fire for the night.

Sunday morning came before Ben knew it. Ben would have preferred to stay at home, to catch up on chores around the house, but he knew he had to set an example to his children, so he hustled everyone out the door and off to church.

Ben didn’t relax until after the service, when he and his family were riding to the lake. He and Annie rode in the buggy that he had acquired with Greene Valley, and Hoss and Joe were on horseback. Ben smiled to hear Annie chatting away, and to see his sons’ antics. At least for today, Ben would set aside his concerns and enjoy the beauty of the lake.

The Devlins had arrived before the Cartwrights, and were done unloading their wagon when Ben stopped the buggy. Hoss and Joe made quick work of unloading the food that Annie had prepared as Annie helped Mrs. Devlin and Susie spread out the blankets. Mitch and Pete set up a horseshoe game under the watchful eye of their father, who was leaning on a fallen tree, smoking his pipe. Ben grabbed a small sack from under the buggy’s seat, told his boys to finish unpacking, and hurried to George Devlin’s side.

George nodded to Ben as Ben pulled his own pipe from the pouch. "Can’t ask for a finer day. Just wish the minister wasn’t so long winded."

Ben chuckled as he drew on his pipe. He looked across the lake glad to be outside and not working. He didn’t move until he felt George’s eyes on him.

"Ben, I’m gonna be honest with you." George was never one to beat around the bush. "I expect in a few years we’re going to be kin –"

"In several years, maybe." Ben rolled his eyes and George laughed.

"And kin oughta be able to speak their piece. Now, I don’t know how you are with your young’uns, and I’m not telling you how to raise ‘em, but in our house, when a boy gets into trouble, and he’s punished, as long as he accepts his punishment and is sorry for what he done, well, then we don’t think on it anymore. I mean, we forgive him, Martha and me, and we don’t hold it against him."

Ben wasn’t sure where George was going with this, but he nodded. "That’s what I’ve always believed, too."

George waved his pipe toward Ben. "But, I’m not seein’ that happening with Mitch, Ben. When he got into that trouble a few months back, I laid inta him like I never did before, and I hope never to do again. And he took his punishment, and he apologized. And you accepted his apology. But he seems to think that lately you been holdin’ it against him still."

Ben shifted uncomfortably. "He told you what happened Friday." George nodded. "I jumped to a conclusion and I was wrong." Ben looked at his pipe a moment before shrugging. "I used to think raising a girl would be the same as raising boys, but I’m not so sure anymore. I guess I’m a bit more protective of Annie than I am of the boys."

George nodded. "I understand that, I surely do. But you’re doing a fine job with that young lady. My girl’s watching everything Annie does, and if Susie turns out half so well, I’ll be proud." He tapped out his pipe against the tree. I know I’m proud of my son already. He’s gonna make Annie a fine husband someday."

Ben laughed humorlessly. "You sound like it’s a sure thing. They’re very young."

George raised an eyebrow. "I was 10 when I met Martha. Married her when I was 19 and she was 17. I know for a fact that you met your first wife when you were 11, and when you were 15 you were sneakin’ her outta her father’s house."

This time Ben’s laughter was full of humor. "In that case, you know what happened when her father caught us." He nodded slowly. "I’ll think about what you’re saying, George." Ben held out his hand. "I’m glad you spoke your piece."

George stood straight and shook Ben’s hand before turning and slowly walking back to the blanket. Ben watched him go, deep in thought. George’s words made a lot of sense. Besides, Ben had seen the hurt in Annie’s eyes the other day when he thought she and Mitch were up to mischief. He kept telling her he trusted her, but he never showed her that he did.

Lunch was soon ready, and Ben hurried to the blanket. He joined in the joking and teasing but a part of him remained detached, still thinking about his conversation with George. After lunch, Hoss went to the lake to do some fishing, while Joe, George, Pete and Mitch played horseshoes. Ben stretched his legs and wandered toward the game. He thought a minute before standing near Mitch. He leaned forward just as the young man pulled his arm back to pitch a shoe.

"You know, if I were at a beautiful lake on a warm spring day and my best girl was sitting on a blanket nearby, I sure wouldn’t be playing horseshoes with my father." Ben kept his voice quiet, so only Mitch could hear. Mitch was so startled that his throw went wild, and he barely missed his brother’s head. Fortunately, Pete laughed. Ben continued. "Nope, I’d be taking a walk with that girl, holding her hand. I might even try to steal a kiss or two." Ben grinned as Mitch whipped his head around to stare at Ben. A soft thump told Ben that Mitch had dropped the other horseshoe. "Of course, I’d remember I was a gentleman."

Mitch’s grin split his face. "Yes, sir!" Without looking back, he hurried to the blanket. Ben watched him lean toward Annie and hold out his hand. He couldn’t hear Mitch, but he saw Annie shake her head slightly. Mitch’s head bobbed excitedly and Annie looked toward her uncle. Ben smiled and nodded. Annie grabbed her beau’s hand and allowed Mitch to pull her to her feet. The two hurried past Ben. Annie didn’t stop to speak, but the look of gratitude she gave to Ben told him everything he needed to know.

Ben leaned over, picked up the horseshoe that Mitch had dropped and turned to the other players. "Looks like you fellows are short one player. Mind if I join in?"

Later that evening, as Ben sat alone in front of the fire, he thought that it had been a long time since he felt so relaxed as he had that afternoon. He had enjoyed the game of horseshoes, although he played so badly that Joe had threatened to disown him. He had even dozed after the meal. On the ride home, Annie had chattered away about the things she and Mitch had seen on their walk. She didn’t stop talking until they arrived home. Joe and Hoss had raced home, with Ben’s nod of approval, and Ben was surprised to see that Joe out-rode Hoss.

Ben sighed as he stood and banked the fire. No doubt tomorrow would not be a relaxing day, for there was a town council meeting in the afternoon, the first since Hiram Newsome’s election. Ben was certain that Monday would not be a good day, not a good day at all.

 

Monday dawned pleasantly enough. Ben was surprised when all three children were up and doing chores before he came out of his room. In fact, Annie greeted him with a cup of coffee before he could walk halfway across the living room.

However, it didn’t take long for the day to begin its downward spiral. Ben had no sooner finished his coffee and put on his hat when raised voices told him that his two sons were arguing. He opened the door and was shocked to hear Hoss swearing at Joe.

"Damnation, Little Joe! You knew I was standin’ there! Why the hell did you throw the hay at me?"

Hoss was standing in front of the barn, covered with dirty hay. Ben didn’t suppose he could blame Hoss for being angry, but he certainly wasn’t expecting that kind of language. But before he could say anything, Joe flew toward his older brother, knocking the larger boy onto his back.

"What’s amatter Hoss? ‘Fraid of a little manure?" Only Joe didn’t say manure. He used a vulgar word, one that Ben would not tolerate.

Ben grabbed the bucket of water as he stormed off the porch. The two boys rolled away from each, sputtering and swearing some more. They both leaped to their feet when they realized their father was standing over them, empty bucket in hand, as angry as they had seen him in a while.

"I do not want to hear language like that from my sons!" Ben threw the bucket to one side and stepped closer to Hoss.

Hoss looked sheepish and he glanced at Joe. "It’s nothin’, Pa. I’m sorry."

Joe nodded. "Yeah, Pa, I’m sorry, too. And Hoss, I didn’t mean to throw the stuff at you. I’ll finish your chores so you can get changed." The boy glanced nervously from his father to his brother, and then back to his father.

Ben was taken aback by the speed of their apologies. He shook his head, and muttered, "All right. But I don’t want to hear you talk like that again, or I will wash your mouths out."

Ben’s day didn’t get much better when he started to do his chores. He intended to ride out to check the herd of cattle, but on his way to the meadow, he found three dead calves. Sighing, he turned and headed toward where he knew Hoss would be working. The calves needed to be butchered, and Ben didn’t have time to do that before he went to town.

The town council meeting started pleasantly enough, with everyone welcoming Hiram to the group. The talk quickly switched to the new addition that Jack was putting on the hotel.

Ben frowned. "I didn’t know about that."

"Well, Ben, you haven’t been in town all that much lately." Jack leaned back and rested his arm along Shelby’s chair. He ignored her glower as he dragged on his cigar. "Seems to me you don’t know much about what’s happenin’ here in Eagle Station."

Hiram leaned forward eagerly. "Yeah, Cartwright. Lots is happening here that you don’t know about."

Ben’s eyes narrowed as he regarded the little man. He was struck at the man’s beady eyes, but he ruthlessly pushed back the thought that this man looked like a rat. He had always told his boys never to judge a man by his appearance, and Ben wasn’t about to change his mind now. "What’s that supposed to mean, Hiram?" He folded his hands and glared.

Hiram’s eyes darted toward Jack. "Well, it’s just that I don’t know how a man can serve on the council if he don’t care enough to own property in town."

There it was, out in the open. John had been right about Jack’s plans. Ben swallowed hard to control his temper, but before he could speak, Shelby slammed her hands down on the table. "Don’t you go sayin’ Ben Cartwright don’t care about this town. He started the council long before you ever moved your sorry behind here."

"All I’m sayin’ is he was livin’ here before and he ain’t now. So why’s he still on the council?" Hiram was wiggling in his seat, waving wildly toward Ben. Ben resisted the urge to swat the man like a fly and instead turned to Jack.

"There is no provision in the town charter saying that a person must own property in town. In fact, the charter specifically states that all people eligible to vote are eligible to serve on the council. Are you disputing my eligibility to vote?"

Jack pulled the cigar from his mouth and smiled. "I don’t recall saying anything about whether or not you can serve on the council, Ben. Hiram was the one bringing that up." The man was smooth, Ben had to grant him that. "I merely observed that you hadn’t been in town lately. But I’m sure you’ve been busy, what with Adam leaving you like he did."

Ben’s fists clenched and unclenched under the table. What he wouldn’t give for the chance to belt Jack’s smile off his face. But he willed himself to relax as he looked at Eli.

"I’m sure we have more pressing matters to discuss, Eli, don’t we?"

Eli nodded eagerly. "Yes, we have several issues." He proceeded to list the agenda for the day’s meeting.

The rest of the meeting was free of direct confrontation, although both Jack and Hiram made snide comments throughout the discussion. Ben was relieved when the meeting finally broke up. He waved off Eli’s invitation to supper, claiming that he was expected at home.

Ben tried to put all thoughts of the meeting out of his mind as he rode toward home. But the tension of the day caught up to him, and his head was throbbing by the time he rode into the yard. He hoped Hop Sing would have something to soothe the pain, otherwise he was going to go to bed and the devil take the work that he needed to do.

He frowned as he looked toward the house. What was Annie doing chopping wood? She wasn’t allowed to use the ax, and she knew it.

He dismounted and left Buck tied by the corral. He strode across the yard and stood near her, reluctant to say anything for fear of startling her. Finally, she must have sensed his presence, for she turned around.

Annie wiped the sweat from her brow. "Hey, Uncle Ben. I didn’t think it’d get warm today, but boy, it sure did!" Her smile wavered as he glared at her.

"What are you doing?" Ben stood, hands on hips.

Annie glanced around. "Uh, chopping wood."

Ben’s eyes narrowed. "I can see that. Why are you doing that? It’s Joe’s job."

Annie shrugged amiably. "I know, Hoss met us on the way home from school. There’s a couple of mares about to foal, and Joe went to help Hoss." She picked up the ax. "They said they might not be home for supper."

Ben took the ax from her. "That does not explain why you are using the ax, which you know you are forbidden to use."

Annie twisted her lips a moment. "Well, we needed wood, and Joe isn’t here to chop it." She giggled. "And Adam never invented that machine that he kept talking about – you remember, the one that chopped wood."

Ben struggled a minute to control his temper. "I want to know why you have deliberately chosen to disobey me."

Annie’s eyes narrowed and her hands flew to her hips. "I just told you. We needed wood and it doesn’t chop itself."

Ben wedged the ax in the chopping block and stepped toward her. "You will watch your tone when you speak to me, young lady."

"My tone?" Annie’s voice was incredulous. "I’m trying to do some work around here, to help out, and you are worried about my tone? The boys have been using an ax since they were ten years old. I don’t understand why I can’t."

"You are a young lady, and young ladies do not chop wood!"

"Oh." Annie pulled her head back slightly. "I’m a young lady, is that it? Well, then, I’ll just go sit in the house and do my embroidery and wait for my gentlemen callers to pay court." Her lips curled into a faint sneer.

"Keep that up and you won’t be able to sit, girl."

Annie took a step back. "You can’t punish me for doing extra chores." Her voice rose in pitch.

"Don’t you tell me what I can and cannot do!" Ben stepped closer to his niece, but stopped as she stared at him, wide-eyed and seemingly frightened. He shook himself. "Go to your room." He pointed toward the house.

Annie glared at him for a minute before she turned and fled.

Ben’s head felt like someone had split it with that ax. He stared at the front door before turning on his heel and hurried to stable Buck, giving the horse a cursory brushing before closing the stall door. He paused. Ben was in no mood to deal with a disrespectful, disobedient child, and yet he would be wrong if he put it off any longer. He rubbed his eyes and wondered if his children knew how much he hated to punish them.

The house was quiet when Ben entered. Annie’s door was closed. Hop Sing looked up from the stove where he was preparing supper. The young man crossed the room and held out a steaming cup.

"Tea will make you feel better."

"No, thank you, Hop Sing." Ben glanced at Annie’s door. "I need to see Annie."

To Ben’s surprise, Hop Sing shook his head. "Drink tea, first." Hop Sing pointed to the table. "Sit, please." His tone was polite, but insistent.

Bemused, Ben did as he was told. Hop Sing sat beside him and turned to face Ben.

"Anna only wish to help." Hop Sing folded his hands and stared at Ben intently.

Ben shook his head. "She’s not allowed to use the ax, and she knows that."

"She also knows that family needs help. Little Joe work with Hoss, and Annie does all their yard chores, so they do not have to." Hop Sing’s tone was adamant and he nodded as he held out five lucifers. "One is gone for now, but five together are still unbreakable." Hop Sing stood, bowed slightly, and returned to his stove.

Ben took the lucifers and stared at them. He rubbed his head, but the pounding refused to go away. Tossing the lucifers on the table, he finished his tea and walked to Annie’s door

He paused a moment before knocking. He didn’t wait for an answer before he opened it, but he was surprised when he didn’t see Annie on her bed. The room appeared empty and for a wild moment, Ben thought she had run away. A small noise caught his attention, and he found her huddled between the dresser and the wall. He sighed and, closing the door behind him, hurried to stand in front of her.

"Annie?" He spoke quietly, and he thought she hadn’t heard him, but she finally looked up. Her red-rimmed eyes broke his heart and he held out his hand. "I’m not angry anymore." She regarded him a moment before she took his hand and allowed him to pull her up.

"I only wanted to help." Annie stared at her toes but her tone held no disrespect.

"I know you did, but I don’t want you to use the ax, and you know that."

Annie looked up, her eyes blazing. "I don’t see why not." Her tone bordered on defiant, and Ben’s temper flared again.

"I forbid it, and that’s all you need to know." Ben winced as his head continued to pound. Annie’s eyes narrowed and she started to speak, but he raised a finger in warning. "I have not forgotten your earlier disrespect." His last bit of patience was gone, and if she said a word, she would regret it. "I know you want to help, but you aren’t strong enough to use the ax." He reached out to touch her face, but she pulled back slightly. "I just don’t want you to get hurt."

She swallowed noisily. "Yes, sir. May I be excused? I have to help Hop Sing with supper."

Ben nodded curtly, and resisted the urge to smack her backside as she turned toward the door. He followed her from the room, and crossed the living room to his own bedroom. "Hop Sing, I’m going to lie down for a minute. Please wake me for supper." He didn’t wait for a response, but closed his bedroom door behind him. He stretched out on his bed. Why did that girl have to be so difficult now? Didn’t he have enough to cope with?

It seemed like only a few minutes later that Hop Sing was rousting Ben from sleep, but judging by the setting sun, and by the fact that Joe and Hoss were home and cleaned up, Ben reckoned he had slept for the better part of an hour. Ben washed quickly, but everyone was seated at the table before he came to the table.

No one spoke much, which was fine by Ben. His head felt no better than it had before his nap. Annie, Joe and Hoss glanced at each other so frequently that Ben was sure Annie had told them of her confrontation over the wood. Ben didn’t feel the need to remind the boys that Annie was not allowed to use the ax, for he was confident that she wouldn’t make that mistake again. Finally, as Annie and Hop Sing stood to clear the table, Hoss cleared his throat.

"Uh, we got three new colts, Pa."

Ben grunted. "Next time get one of the hands to help. Joe has his work around here."

Hoss shifted uncomfortably and looked like he wanted to say more, but a glare from his father silenced him. "Yes, sir."

Annie stood at her uncle’s elbow. "Hop Sing said he’d finish the dishes. May I be excused? I have some barn chores to finish."

Ben turned to her. "Is your homework done?"

"I don’t have any tonight."

Ben nodded. "All right, but hurry up. I want you back in before dark."

Ben thought he heard her mutter something as she grabbed her coat and hurried out the door, but he said nothing.

"Pa?" Hoss leaned toward his father, elbows resting on the table. "Pa, she was only tryin’…"

"I don’t want to discuss it, Erik." Ben stood abruptly. "I’m going to bed."

Fortunately for Ben, Tuesday was a much better day. He spent the day checking the line shacks and the ride in the fresh air seemed to clear the cobwebs that had formed in his mind. He arrived home long before supper, and he was pleased that he’d finally have a chance to catch up on the books.

Ben paused outside the barn door. He could hear the voices inside the barn, but he didn’t hear the sounds of work being done. His jaw clenched and his good mood vanished.

"Hoss, you’ve got to tell him." Ben could picture Annie standing, arms akimbo.

"Me?" Undoubtedly Hoss was pulling himself to his full height and looking at Annie from the bottoms of his eyes.

"Yeah, you’re oldest now." Ben was sure that Joe was leaning close to his brother, maybe even resting his hand on Hoss’s arm, and trying to convince him.

Ben shook his head. Apparently there was something they were afraid to tell him. If they thought he had the patience for trouble, they were sadly mistaken. He had too much to do to tolerate their mischief. He set his jaw and stormed into the barn. All three looked at him with guilty expressions.

"What’s going on?" He stood with his hands on his hips, head tilted back slightly. They would do well to note his aggravation.

Two sets of eyes slid to Hoss. "Uh, nothing’s going on, Pa." Hoss licked his lips and wiped his hands on his pants.

"Don’t you have chores to do? We’ve got too much work to do for the three of you to stand around chatting all day! Joseph, take care of Buck, please."

Ben watched until he was satisfied they were working before he turned toward the house. Maybe he had a few minutes to record the expenses in the books before supper.

He had no sooner sat down than Annie came into the house. She glanced at him, and at the open books.

"Uncle Ben, I can do that for you." She hurried to stand beside him.

Ben shook his head but did not look up. "No, it’ll be faster for me to do it than it would to show you. Be a good girl and help Hop Sing with supper."

"You don’t need to show me anything, Uncle Ben. I know what to do." Annie’s tone was indignant.

Ben looked up at that. Annie was leaning on the desk, looking over his shoulder. "The only thing you need to do is to do as you’re told, young lady."

Annie’s eyes narrowed and she opened her mouth as though to speak. Ben held up his hand. "I don’t want to discuss this, Anna, not after yesterday."

She scowled, but said nothing as she turned toward the kitchen area. He could tell by the way she banged the dishes that she was angry, but he was too weary to take her to task. She finished setting the table as Joe and Hoss came in. Hop Sing called everyone to the table and began serving supper.

No one spoke for several minutes until Ben broke the silence. "We have those timber buyers coming tomorrow. I’ll have to show them the land, and then I’ll head into town. I’ll miss most of the town council meeting, but it can’t be helped." He shook his head. "I hate to miss any of it because I think Jack is up to something."

Hoss smiled. "I can show the timber buyers around, Pa."

Ben shook his head. "No, son, you don’t have any experience with men like this."

Hoss’s smile faded quickly. "Well, Pa, I’m not gonna get any experience if you don’t let me try."

"No, son, this is too important. We’ll need that money this winter."

The young man slammed his fork on the table and shoved his plate away from him. "I’m not hungry. ‘Scuse me."

Ben frowned. "Hoss, where do you think you’re going?"

Hoss shrugged. "I don’t know, but it’s gotta be better than here right now." He pushed his chair away and stood up. "I got chores to finish."

This was intolerable! "Erik, sit down."

But Hoss didn’t even slow down. He headed out the door, slamming it as he went. Ben’s jaw ground to the right and he glared at Annie and Joe. Both looked down at their plates. Ben dabbed his napkin to his lips, rose slowly and turned to Hop Sing.

"Thank you, Hop Sing. Please excuse me."

Ben strode across the room and flung wide the door. He could see Hoss in the gathering twilight, pacing in front of the barn. Ben nodded resolutely and closed the door behind him. Hoss looked up and his shoulders slumped. He headed into the barn, Ben following behind.

Hoss stood with his back to his father. His shoulders were still slumped, and he leaned against a stall. Ben waited for his son to turn around. When Hoss remained as he was, Ben had to resist the urge to grab the young man’s arm.

"Would you like to tell me what that was all about?" Ben took a deep breath, hoping to quell his growing irritation.

Hoss spun around, and Ben could barely see the frown in the fading light. "Yeah. Yeah, I would, Pa." Hoss’s head jerked to the right, as he looked Ben in the eyes. "We’re missin’ him, too, Pa, but you’re actin’ like there’s no one here to help you."

Ben took a step closer. "You mind your tone, young man."

Hoss threw his hands in the air, and stared at his father, disbelief written on his face. "You don’t understand, Pa, do you?" He squinted at Ben.

"I understand that you are being disrespectful, Erik."

Hoss’s eyes widened and Ben could see his son’s right shoulder rise slightly. Ben recognized all the signs – Hoss was trying to say something, and he was getting frustrated with his father for not understanding. Ben relaxed his stance and he reached out to touch Hoss’s arm.

"What’s bothering you, son?"

Hoss stood rigid, staring at Ben. He licked his lips. "Well, sir, I don’t mean any disrespect, I truly don’t, but, Pa, just ‘cuz Adam’s gone doesn’t mean you have to do everything."

Ben pulled back in surprise. "I never said I did, Hoss."

Hoss shook his head. "Maybe not with words, Pa, but that’s sure the feelin’ we’re getting. You keep tellin’ me that you’ll help me with things I know how to do, and you won’t let me try somethin’ new, like takin’ those timber fellas around. Yesterday, you were ready to tan Annie for helpin’ with chores, and I know for a fact that she went in to help you with the books before supper, but she wasn’t doin’ them when I came in. And Joe’s been trying to help with the horses and stuff, but you keep giving him barn chores instead. You won’t even take the time to watch him ride."

Hoss ducked his head before he looked back at his father. "Pa, you don’t need to hold our hands. I’m almost twenty – you were married when you were my age. And Annie and Joe are fifteen. They can do a lot more things than you’re letting them do, Pa." Hoss’s voice took on an imploring tone. "Don’t you see, Pa? You aren’t alone. Adam’s gone, but we’re still here."

"I’m not treating you that way," Ben protested.

Hoss shrugged apologetically. "Yeah, Pa, you are." His voice was soft.

Ben felt as though he had been punched. "Do Annie and Joe feel that way?"

"Yes, sir, they do."

Ben ran both hands through his hair. "Why didn’t you tell me this before?"

Hoss looked at his feet and scuffed his toe in the dirt. "We’ve been tryin’, Pa, but every time we say something, you about bite off our heads."

Ben started to protest that Hoss wasn’t being fair, but the words died in his throat. Hoss was being more than fair. Ben turned away from his son and leaned against a stall. He stood motionless for several minutes. He could feel Hoss behind him, but his son was silent. Finally Ben could no longer abide the silence, and he turned toward Hoss.

"Thank you, Hoss, for trying one more time." Ben rested his hand on his son’s shoulder, and was rewarded with a hesitant smile. Ben returned the smile and headed out of the barn, toward the corral. He rested his arms on the top rail, and his left foot on the bottom one.

Ben stared for several minutes before he realized he was looking at nothing. The corral was empty. With a start, he remembered that Tomas and Joe had herded the last of the horses to the farther meadow. What had Tomas said? Ben had only half paid attention the conversation this morning, but he remembered Tomas bragging about Joe’s talents.

Ben rested his head in the crook of his elbow. He was such a fool. All this time he had been trying to do everything himself while all around him, his family and friends were telling him that he didn’t need to. It finally took his quietest son to tell him that he was hurting his family.

What had Hoss said? ‘You were married when you were my age.’ And Hoss was right. Ben thought over the things he had done by the time he was twenty. He had sailed for several years; he had been first mate for two years. He was a married man at nineteen, helping his father-in-law run the chandlery, making the very kinds of decisions he deemed Hoss incapable of making. He found out he was to be a father shortly after he turned twenty. He was no smarter then than Hoss was now, no more experienced. Ben laughed humorlessly. What would he have done had his own father treated him that way at fifteen, let alone twenty? Ben had no doubt that he would have left home.

But here was Ben insisting that Joe stay in school when his son had no real interest in book learning, when he had no inclination to sitting still for an entire day, and when he did show a strong desire to work with horses. Tomas had insisted that Joseph was an excellent horseman, but Ben couldn’t say that himself, for he had not taken the time to watch the young man ride.

And Ben was insisting that Annie stay in school when in all probability she knew as much, or more, than the new teacher would know. She was trying to help around the ranch, to do her share of the chores, both pleasant and unpleasant, and what did Ben do? He treated her like a little girl, and threatened to punish her like a child.

Ben thought back to the frustration evident on Hoss’s face. His son had tried for weeks to assume a large portion of Adam’s work, and Ben had refused to allow it. Ben was not recognizing that his son was now a man, and had been for years.

What was making him behave so foolishly? He sighed aloud. If he were being honest, he would have to admit that part of him wasn’t ready to have adult children. If his youngest children were adults, didn’t that make him old?

Maybe having grown children would be a blessing. Ben thought about the last time he needed to punish one of them. Not just scold, or confine to the ranch, but truly punish. It had been a long time, and he realized that was a good thing. He would always be master of the house, and he knew that none of them would deny his authority, but maybe, just maybe, he could relax that authority a bit. Maybe it was time to step back and realize that he had done a good job and had raised responsible adults. Young ones, perhaps, who still needed some guidance, but adults nonetheless.

Ben looked at the stars, the ones that he had always identified with those who were with him only in spirit now. They were brighter than he had remembered seeing them in a long while, perhaps because he hadn’t looked at them in so long.

But it was time to stop looking to the stars, and time to look to his family. Ben turned toward the house, with the welcoming glow of a candle by the window. Annie’s doing, no doubt, letting him know that they were waiting for him to come home. Ben had no idea how long he had stood by the corral, but as he walked up the porch steps, he hoped that someone was still awake.

Hoss rose from his seat in front of the fireplace as Ben closed the door, a broken bridle in his hand. He looked slightly embarrassed as Ben glanced around the room.

"Annie and Joe went to bed a few minutes ago, Pa." Hoss shook his head slightly. "Pa, I gotta…"

Ben held up his hand. "I need to say good-night to Annie and Joe. Would you mind waiting for me for a few minutes? I could use some company tonight."

Hoss smiled shyly as he settled into his chair. "Take as long as you need, Pa. I’ll be workin’ on this bridle."

Ben nodded toward Hoss as he crossed the room to Annie’s door. Once again he was overwhelmed with a feeling that he was truly blessed. He knocked lightly on Annie’s door before opening it. She was sitting up in bed, reading. She smiled tentatively as he closed the door behind him.

"I came to say good-night, Annie." He stood a minute, feeling a bit uncertain. "I need to ask you something."

Annie glanced to her chair by the bedside and nodded. "Is this a quick something, or a sitting something?"

Ben laughed. Normally Annie needed to do the asking. He dragged the chair closer to the bedside and settled down. "I think it’s a sitting something."

Annie carefully marked her place in the book before she set it beside her. "All right, Uncle Ben, ask away."

"Mr. Taylor has told me that he thinks you’re ready to graduate." Ben rested his elbows on his knees as he leaned close to her. "He seems to think that Ro won’t be able to teach you much. In fact, had you been a few years older, he would have recommended you for the teaching position." Annie smiled shyly and folded her hands expectantly. "I want to know if you think you’re ready to graduate, if you think you’re finished with school."

She looked at him solemnly. "Yes, sir, I do. I enjoyed school, but now it seems like it’s time to do something else."

He nodded. "It’s that ‘something else’ that we need to discuss. You’ve been doing an excellent job keeping all the household accounts. I think it’s time you took primary responsibility for all the ranch accounts." He hesitated. "That’s in addition to the household responsibilities that you have already."

"All right, Uncle Ben. I think I’m ready for that." She plucked at her bedspread a minute. "You know what else I’d like?" When he shook his head, she continued. "I’d like to be in charge of the orchards."

Ben was confused. "The orchards?"

Annie smiled. "Don’t you remember? The Greenes had all those apples and peach and pear trees? I expect that you and Hoss and Joe’ll be busy when picking time comes, and I’ve been thinking on ways to get the harvest without your help."

Ben was impressed. He hadn’t even remembered the fruit trees. "Have you thought of something?"

"I’ve got some ideas, but I’ve got to work them out a bit before I talk to you about them. I have asked Mr. Orowitz if he’d buy some of the apples, though."

"All right, Annie, I’ll look forward to hearing your plans. And you can sell some of the apples to Mr. Orowitz. In fact, I think you can keep all the money you earn from the orchards."

"Okay, Uncle Ben." Annie tried to sound nonchalant but Ben could see the excitement in her eyes. He laughed.

"Don’t go counting those apples before they’re hatched. I mean, don’t put all your apples in one basket." Ben shook his head in mock disgust over his mixed metaphors. He was rewarded with the sound of Annie’s giggles echoing around the room. He hadn’t heard that sound in a long while, and it gave him pause. He reached out to touch her cheek. "Annie, sweetheart, I’m sorry I’ve been such a bear."

She grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. "I forgive you, Uncle Ben." She leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

He returned her kiss and then stood. "I’ve got to say good-night to Joe. I’ll see you in the morning."

Ben sighed in relief as he closed her door. That had gone better than he had hoped. A glance toward the fireplace showed Hoss still mending the bridle. Ben gave a quick wave and crossed to the bunkroom. Again he knocked softly before going in.

Joe was propped up in bed but he wasn’t reading, he was writing. He looked up when his father closed the door. "It’s not homework, Pa. I’m writing a letter to Adam."

"Are you telling him about riding and working with Tomas?"

Joe flushed. "Yeah."

Ben leaned on the bunk and looked Joe in the eye. "Tomas says you’ve been doing very well. In fact, he says you’re an excellent rider."

Joe’s mouth twisted slightly. Ben couldn’t tell if his son was pleased or angry, but he decided the young man had the right to both feelings. "Joe, I’m sorry I haven’t taken the time to watch you ride."

"’s all right." Joe wouldn’t look at Ben.

"No, it’s not all right but I promise you that’ s going to change. I’ll be at that corral when you get there after school tomorrow, and I want you to show me what you’ve learned."

Joe looked up then, a shy smile beginning to light his face. "Okay, Pa."

"And another thing. Mr. Taylor thinks you’re ready to graduate from school. I’d like to know what you think."

Ben was surprised that Joe didn’t bounce off his bed. But the boy - no, the young man - Ben corrected himself, looked thoughtful. "I think I’m ready, too."

"All right, then. Now, just because you’re in school doesn’t mean you can do as you please. You’ll be working full time on the ranch." Ben allowed himself a slight grin. "I don’t think you’ll find the work too unpleasant, though. I want you to spend most of your time with Tomas. You need to learn everything he knows about horses, and then you need to teach me."

Now Joe looked as though he might leap off the bunk. "Yes, sir!" His look of excitement quickly gave way to one of embarrassment as his voice cracked. Ben looked at his son sympathetically.

"Don’t be embarrassed, Joe. We’ve all gone through it, even me." A wave of memory crashed over Ben. "Only when my voice changed, I was on a ship full of sailors who seemed to forget they had ever been my age. They teased me unmercifully."

Now Ben was rewarded with Joe’s giggle, an infectious laugh that never failed to lift Ben’s spirits. He slapped his son’s shoulder gently. "You’d better go to sleep, tomorrow will be here before you know it. By the way, you’ve got two more weeks of school. I expect you to continue to do your best."

Ben was still smiling as he left the bunkroom. Now he could turn his attention to the son that he had hurt the most, the one who had probably expected to step into Adam’s place, only to be slapped down by his father. He hoped this conversation went as well as the other two had.

Ben stopped at the hutch and poured two glasses of brandy before settling in the chair opposite Hoss. He held out one glass. "Join me?"

Hoss’s eyes widened, but he nodded his head and reached out to take the glass. "Thanks, Pa."

They sipped their drinks in silence for a few minutes. Ben stared into the flames, wondering how to begin this conversation. Finally he set his glass down and leaned back in his seat.

"Thank you, Hoss."

His son looked startled. "Sir?"

"Thank you for speaking the way you did in the barn. I’ve been a fool, and you let me know that."

Hoss shook his head emphatically. "No, sir, I never called you a fool."

"No, not in so many words you didn’t. But you made me realize what people have been telling me these past several weeks. They haven’t called me a fool, either, but they have told me that you and Annie and Joe were a lot more capable than I was giving you credit for being. And that’s what made me a fool."

Hoss stared at his father, but said nothing. Ben smiled at him.

"I already apologized to Annie and Joe, and now I’ll apologize to you. I’m sorry I’ve been such a bear these past few weeks. You’ve been willing to step up and help fill the gap that Adam left, and I haven’t allowed you to do that. I’m sorry for that."

Hoss licked his lips. "Pa, I’m not tryin’ to be Adam."

"I don’t want you to be Adam. I want you to be Hoss." Ben stretched his legs and leaned his head back slightly. "You’d think, after being a father as long as I’ve been, that I would know what I was doing, and that I would have learned from my past mistakes. You would think after seeing Adam prove himself a man when he went with that wagon train a few years ago, that I would recognize when a son becomes a man, but I guess I haven’t, have I?" Ben sat up straight. "It’s a funny thing. With Adam, he fought with me tooth and nail to prove himself. But you did it differently. You quietly went about your business, did everything I’ve ever asked of you, showed me you could do more than I’ve asked. But in the end, you had to fight just as hard as Adam did." He laughed shortly. "I can’t help but wonder if I’ll make the same mistake with Joe."

Ben looked at his hands for a minute before he looked at Hoss. "You know, it’s an interesting thing for a father, when his son becomes more than his son, when his son becomes his partner. I never had the chance to do that with my own father." Ben he extended his hand. "But this is the second time I’ve gotten to do that with a son. Are we partners, Hoss?"

Hoss’s grin lit up his face and he clasped his father’s hand. "We’re partners, Pa."