Pack of Wild Wolves

By Tennessee

 

Ben was in town talking to Big Dan about the new cattle he was getting. "My sons are on their way back with them now. I stayed on the Ponderosa to get everything ready for the new cattle. They should be back in a few days."

Big Dan looked at him but didn't say anything. Ben said goodbye and got on his horse and left.

Big Dan had heard about a pack of wolves taking down Indian horses and raiding cattle ranches in the area. He hadn't wanted to say anything to Ben because he wasn't sure where Ben's sons were on their cattle drive. He hoped the boys would be safe.

Adam and his brothers drove cattle all day long. When the sun started going down, they stopped and took care of the cattle and made camp. Adam told his brothers, "If we keep going like this, we will be home right on time." They ate, and Adam and Joe went to bed. It was Hoss's turn to watch the camp and cattle.

Adam and Little Joe were sound asleep. Hoss felt himself getting drowsy. He drifted off for a while, and when he awoke, the cattle were running away. He yelled for his brothers and they took off after the cattle. Adam called, "We need to go three ways." And they did. Little Joe got on Paint and took off to rope a baby calf, and he heard and saw something he could not believe. Wolves were chasing after him! He got Paint to running, but one of the wolves jumped in his face. Little Joe pushed him away, but then it got on Paint's back and bit Joe's arm. Little Joe pushed the wolf off.

Hoss had got the cattle heading back to camp. When he got back to the camp, he put the cattle inside a rope fence. Hoss did not see the wolves until it was too late. They circled him and showed their teeth. Hoss had nowhere to go. He kicked at them. Hoss knew he had one shot left, and he took it, scattering the wolves. His horse was tied up at the tree next to the fence. If he moved slow, he might make it and be able to get his horse running before the wolves regrouped. Hoss made it to his horse and rode fast, the wolves following.

Adam was looking for stray cattle. He looked a long time and then went back to the camp. He could not believe his eyes when he saw several cows dead and wolves eating them. He did not see his brothers. The wolves saw him, though, and they took off after Adam. Adam got his rifle and shot three of the wolves. The rest ran away, and he made sure there were really gone before he got off his horse. Adam then saw Hoss's hat. The wolves had it.

Little Joe and Paint were bleeding. Joe had blood on his face and arm, and Paint's back was cut up. Joe knew he needed to find his brothers quickly, so he headed back toward camp.

Adam was holding Hoss's hat when he heard something. He was holding up his rifle when Little Joe rode up. Adam saw Joe and ran to him. "What happened, brother?"

"The wolves . . ."

"Paint is hurt!" He helped Joe off the horse. "I'll take care of you first and then Paint." Adam used water from his canteen to clean Joe's wounds. He wrapped Joe's arm in a clean shirt. The moon was bright, and the brothers could see the dead cattle. Joe whimpered, and Adam told him it would be okay. "We'll get more. Now get some rest. I need to find Hoss."

Adam had a feeling Hoss was hurt. Hoss, meanwhile, was keeping an eye on the wolves. He made his way through the woods, staying out of sight. When he knew all of the wolves had gone, he went back to the trail. He rode toward camp. His leg was bleeding and ached, but he was determined to make it.

Adam watched for Hoss. He was taking care of Paint's back when Hoss rode up. Adam helped him off his horse. "A wolf got my leg," Hoss said, trying to get his boots off. Adam cleaned Hoss's wounds just as he had Little Joe's and wrapped the injuries in clean rags. "How's Little Joe?" Hoss asked.

"The wolves got him too, but he'll be fine. His arm is pretty torn up. Paint is hurt pretty badly."

"How many wolves were there?"

"I don't know, but I hope they don't come back."

Ben sat up in bed yelling for his sons. He could not go back to sleep. He had a feeling something was wrong.

Hoss and Little Joe were sound asleep when Adam got up the next morning. He checked his brothers and found that they both were running a fever. He made them both drink a little of the tea Hop Sing had sent along, and boiled some root for the boys to drink to relieve their pain. Adam suspected the wild wolves would be back that night. He decided to construct a small fort to protect his brothers. He got all the wood and brush he could find and piled it in a circle. Adam also put the horses inside his makeshift shelter. He loaded his rifle and waited. His brothers slept all day.

"Why'd you make this all around us?" Little Joe asked when he woke up that evening.

"I think the wolves will be back, and you and Hoss are too sick to move on."

Hoss's eyes got big. "I sure wish we was home."

Adam said, "We'll start home in the morning if you feel up to it."

That night Adam and his brothers heard noises. Adam started a fire in the circle enclosure. The wolves did not like fire and would not come near. Adam and his brothers heard a noise. Adam light a larger circle of wood on fire. Each of the boys lit a stick and used it to fend off wolves. The wolves jumped at them. Adam shot the ones he could. Hoss, too, had his rifle ready. Finally they managed to get all of the wolves. At daybreak, they buried the creatures and started home.

Paint's back was sore, so Little Joe rode with Adam.

"What will Pa say about the cattle?" Little Joe asked.

"Pa will be glad that we're all right," Adam answered. They rode all day.

Ben was in the barn when Big Dan rode up and yelled for him. Ben came out of the barn and greeted his friend. "Ben, I should have told you this the other day. There is a pack of rabid wolves causing trouble up where your boys are. They've killed several head of cattle and some horses. When are the boys supposed to be back?"

"I thought they might be back yesterday, but they are not due back until tomorrow. Sometimes it's hard to get the cattle to move along quickly."

Big Dan went back to town, and Ben went into the house. The boys rode all day, but Hoss's leg was hurting so they had to stop early. The next morning they got a late start, but again they rode hard. Little Joe complained that his arm and face hurt, but Adam said they wouldn't stop until they got him.

Ben was in the barn when he heard someone ride up outside. There were his three sons. With tears in his eyes he said, "I'm so glad to see you boys. What happened? Where are the cattle?"

"A pack of wild wolves got us, Pa," Hoss said.

Ben's eyes got big as Adam explained, "The wolves got the cattle, Pa. They also got Little Joe and Hoss but they are all right. Paint's a little torn up, but I think she'll be fine with some rest and some care from Hop Sing."

"Are you all right?"

"Yes, Pa."

The boys went into the house while Ben fed and watered their horses. Ben took care of Paint's back.

Hop Sing tended to Hoss and Little Joe, cleaning their wounds and providing new bandages. Adam explained all that had happened. "I'm proud of the way you handled things, son," Ben said.

Hoss asked, "What are we going to do about the new stock, Pa?"

Ben said, "We'll sell a few more horses and buy new cattle in time. Next time, we'll bring more men along on the cattle drive."

"Why Pa?" Joe asked. "We can do it. I know we can."

"Yes, son, but what if all three of you had gotten attacked by the wolves and there was no one to go for help? If some of the Greens' hired hands come along, it will be safer."

Ben rode in to town and told Big Dan that his sons had shot the wolves. Big Dan said, "Let's hope they got all of them."

"Adam thinks they did." He said goodbye and rode back to the Ponderosa. As he was riding, he thought of what could have happened to his sons and said a prayer of thanks and smiled. As he got close to the house, he heard the boys laughing. His grin grew even wider. How good it was to have his sons at home safe and sound and laughing.

 

 

The End