One Little, Two Little, Three Little Mice?

By Gail G.

 

Author's Note: Thanks to Laura who does all my beta reading. I really appreciate the help.

 

"Adam’s in charge while I’m gone. And make sure you do as Hop Sing asks." Ben looked down at his sons as he sat atop his horse, Buck. Hoss and Little Joe nodded at their father so he would know that they understood.

"I’ll be back in three days. I’ve left a list of things that need to be completed while I’m gone." Once again Ben turned his eyes to his eldest son. "I’m counting on you, Adam."

"Yes, sir." Adam answered back with a serious look on his face, "I won’t let you down, Pa."

As Ben turned his horse to start his journey, he pointed at Joe. "Adam, keep this one in line."

The edge of Adam’s lips curled up as he tipped his hat at his father. "Sure thing Pa, no problem."

With a flip of the reins, Ben was on his way down the trail, heading for the Millers’ farm to check out a new bread of cattle.

When their father was far out of sight, Adam turned around towards his two young brother. "Let’s get our chores done before lunch, then we’ll go over the list Pa left us."

"Awww.... Adam, do we have to do chores?? I mean Pa’s gone, can’t we have some fun?" Little Joe started whining as he followed his brother into the barn.

"You can have all the fun you want, Joe, after you do your chores." Adam reached over and pulled Joe’s hat over his eyes.

Little Joe repositioned his hat. "That ain’t funny, Adam."

Adam smiled, "‘Isn’t.’ That ‘isn’t’ funny."

"That’s what I said." Joe deeply sighed.

"Funny or not, chores come first. So get busy." Adam grabbed a pitch fork and started tossing the fresh yellow hay into the first empty stall. Joe picked up the empty bucket and headed over to the cow to milk her. Hoss headed for the chopping block, picked up the ax and began his chore without any fuss.

When the chores were finished, Adam gave Joe permission to go to his best friend’s house. Mitch lived on a small ranch not too far from the Cartwrights. As Joe saddled Paint, Adam reminded him to be home in time for supper.

Adam and Hoss enjoyed a leisurely afternoon of fishing at the pond not far from the house. Adam had studied the list of chores his father had left them. Nothing was to hard too complete, so Adam felt that it would be alright to take off one afternoon.

Later that evening Little Joe rode paint into the yard, just in time for supper. Adam had already gone into the house as Hoss finished up the last of the evening chores.

Little Joe jumped from his horse and proceeded into barn, cautiously looking around the corner before entering the seemingly empty barn. He then untied the small wooden box from the saddle horn. He shook the box ever so slightly to make sure the contents was still alive.

"What ya got in the box, Little Joe?" Hoss asked, causing Little Joe to jump.

Joe swiftly put the box behind his back. "Nothin’."

"Well, if it ain’t nothin’, then why are ya hiding it." Hoss walked over and started reaching around his brother to retrieve the wooden crate.

Joe started to hop from foot to foot, trying to avoid his bigger brother’s large hands.

"Joe! What’s in the box?" Curiosity was getting the better of Hoss. He just had to know what was inside..

"If I tell you, you can’t tell Adam or Pa." Joe gave Hoss a very serious look.

Hoss shrugged his shoulder. "I won’t tell. What is it?"

"Will ya spit on it? You can’t tell Pa or Adam." Joe lifted his hand near his mouth so he could spit.

"Sure Joe." Hoss spit in the palm of his large hand and thrust it out for Joe to grab hold. They shook steadily.

"Well, Joe, what is it?" Hoss was now getting excited. He couldn’t wait to see in the little wooden crate.

Joe set the box on the small table in the corner of the barn. He slowly lifted the lid and let Hoss peek inside.

"Mice!! Joe, what the heck are you doin with mice??" Hoss jumped back as one of the furry creatures escaped.

"Well, Mitch had caught a whole bunch of these little fellas, and he been trying to train them to have a mouse circus or sell ‘em as pets." Joe reached out and picked up the escapee and placed it back into its temporary home.

"Joe, ya can’t keep mice out here. One of the stray cats might get to them. Anyways, mice are pest. Pa wouldn’t want you to have them."

"But, Hoss, that’s why we are trying to train them or sell them as pets. That way people will know they have some purpose other than cat food."

Hoss looked over at his youngest brother. "Well I guess you can keep ‘em for now, but out here in the barn. Make sure the lid is on real tight."

Joe pushed to lid down on the little box and placed it on one of the higher shelves. He then helped Hoss with the rest of the unfinished task, and they headed for the house to get washed up for supper.

As they reached the front porch, Adam was stepping out the door. "Where have you two been? I was coming to fetch the two of you. Supper is ready."

"Quit fussing, will ya. We were just finishing up our chores." Hoss said, as he stepped by Adam so he could wash his hands.

As the family sat down to their meal, Little Joe started missing his father. "When will Pa be back?" he asked, as he moved his food around on his plate.

"Father be back in three days. He go to check out the new line of cattle." Hop Sing passed a bowl of green beans to the lad. "He not be happy if he knew son did not eat."

Joe looked up at Hop Sing, he then attempted to take a few bites of his food. Joe hated when his Pa had to go away. He didn’t mind that Adam was in charge, he just really missed his father when he was not at home.

"Adam, father tell me that you will take me to town tomorrow. I must check on my sick cousin that just moved to Eagle Station. If he is still very ill, I may need to stay with him. I made extra bread and stew just in case. Your father say boys will be okay without Hop Sing." Hop Sing then stood and started to gather the empty dishes. "Little Joe, your night to wash."

"Ahh. . .Hop Sing, do I gotta," Joe whined as he pushed back his own plate.

"What would you do if father was here." Hop Sing asked as he carried the dirty bowls to the area where they washed the dishes.

"I would have to wash them, cause Pa would make me."

"I see," Hop Sing started, "but since father not here, Adam, he will make you instead?"

Joe’s eyes shot to his older brother. "That’s right, Joe. Pa put me in charge, so you have to do the dishes like Hop Sing asked."

Joe really didn’t feel like arguing, so instead he lifted himself out of his chair and began his task.

Later that evening Joe was awoken by a terrible thunderstorm. The lightning was so bright it lit up the inside of the bunk room. As Joe laid in his bed, he began to worry about his new friends that were out in the barn.

Joe decided to sneak out to the barn and bring them into the house where it was nice and safe. He threw his legs over the side of his bunk, grabbed his pants and started to tug them on as he stood up. He then slipped on a shirt and his boots. He carefully opened the door that went into the main room. He then stepped out into the open area and retrieved his jacket.

Once he was standing outside on the porch, the rain began coming down even harder. Joe took a deep breath and ran toward the barn as fast as his little legs would carry him. He slipped once in the mud and fell right into a huge puddle. He stood up soaking wet and wiped his hands on his jacket and proceeded to the barn. Once inside he waited for some lightning so he could see around the dark interior.

He went over and lifted the small box off the shelf, turned and quickly went back to the house. When he stepped inside, Adam was standing waiting for him, hands on his hips.

Boy, Adam sure does look like Pa when he does that, Joe thought to himself, as he placed the small box on the table, his hat on top of it to hide it.

"What do you think you were doing?" Adam all but screamed.

"I had to get somethin’ out of the barn." Joe started to shake the water off his jacket.

Adam reached out and grabbed Joe by the arm, then drug him by the fire. "You could catch a cold running around out in storm like this. You know better."

"But, Adam, it was real important," Joe said, as his brother helped him take off his soaked shirt.

Adam placed the tea kettle in the fireplace. "You go get some dry clothes on while I warm water for some tea. After you drink a cup or two, you can go back to bed. I don’t want you getting sick." Adam waved his hand, letting his young brother know to go do what was asked.

Joe sighed, then turned to go into the bedroom. He hurried and changed into a dry nightshirt, then went back out by the fire to get warmed up.

Adam was waiting for his brother, cup of tea in hand. "Here, drink this, all of it."

"Okay, Adam, I will." Joe took the cup from his brother and begin to sip the contents.

"When you’re finished, go to bed." Adam turned and headed back to his warm inviting bunk.

Joe saet by the fire and drank all the tea. He then went to the table and retrieved the wooden box. He carefully slipped of f the lid to check on his small furry friends. "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, and twelve. Well, you’re all here."

Little Joe then headed for bed, box under his arm. He decided, however, that taking the mice into the bunk room with him might be a mistake. He looked around the room trying to find a place to hide them. It occurred to him that Pa was not at home, so he went to the bedroom and tossed the small box upon his father’s empty bed.

"You’ll be safe in here. I’ll get ya some food in the morning." Joe turned to head back to his own room.

Little did the boy know that when he tossed that box upon the bed, it made the lid come loose. Within moments, Ben’s room was infested with twelve fuzzy creatures, squeaking, chewing, and pooping all over the place.

The next morning Hop Sing and Adam left early to head into town, while Hoss and Joe were left to do the chores. As they were working in the barn, Hoss asked Joe where the little box was.

"Oh, I forgot. I took them into the house last night."

Hoss raised an eyebrow. "You took them mice in the house! Hop Sing will have a fit."

Joe frowned back at his older brother. "Well, Hop Sing ain’t got to know. I’ll go get them and bring them back outside." Joe turned and headed to the house to retrieve his new found friends.

After a few minutes Hoss could hear Little Joe yelling, "Hoss, Hoss, I need your help."

Hoss dropped the ax and ran to the house at full speed. "Where’s the fire? What’s going on?"

"There ain’t no fire, Hoss, it’s just.....well, the mice are loose in Pa’s room." Joe pointed back to the closed bedroom door.

"You got to be kidding me, Joe!!"

"Well, I ain’t. You got to help me catch them, Hoss. They done made an awful mess." Joe grabbed Hoss’ arm and pulled him to the bedroom. They stepped inside and swiftly shut the bedroom door, so no mice would escape into the house.

"Joe, Pa will be home the day after tomorrow. You got to hurry up and catch those mice." Hoss got down on the floor and looked under the bed. "I don’t see no mice, Joe. Where are they?"

"They must be hiding. Look, Hoss, they done chewed a hole in Pa’s quilt, and look at this pair of pants." Joe held a pair of his father’s pants up so Hoss could see the holes.

"Joe, Pa’s going to be real mad," Hoss said as he frowned. "Adam ain’t goin be too happy either."

"We don’t have to tell Adam," Joe yelled, "he’s worse than Pa!"

"Well what do you suggest then, little brother??"

Joe slowly shrugged his shoulder. "I don’t know yet, but I’ll think of something. I’ll close the door and lay a towel in front of it so they can’t get through the crack. Then we can think about what to do."

Hoss’ head shot up. "What do you mean ‘we’? This is your problem, little brother."

Joe looked back with a smug expression. "Well, it’s your problem too, cause now you know about it. Knowing and not tellin’ is the same as lying."

"Fine, I’ll tell then."

Joe panicked. "NO, you can’t. I’ll think of something."

"Alright, I won’t tell, but you better hurry up and figure something out. Come on. We better go finish our chores." Hoss walked to the door and carefully opened it. Joe slid out behind him and placed a towel in front of the crack to keep the mice from escaping.

They went back to the barn and worked hurriedly to finish their chores before Hop Sing and Adam arrived home from town.

Later that afternoon as Hoss and Joe worked on stacking the wood that had been chopped, they heard a wagon approaching. They looked up and saw Adam pull into the yard.

Joe ran over to Adam. "Where’s Hop Sing?"

Adam jumped from the wagon seat. "He stayed in town to be with his cousin. His cousin is very ill. Hop Sing thought if he stayed he could help him feel better.

"Hoss, help me unhitch the team, will you?"

Hoss walked over the wagon and started to unhitch the first horse. He then turned and led it into the barn. Adam followed close behind with the other mare.

"What about supper," Hoss asked, with the most serious expression on his face.

Adam grinned and said, "lucky for us, Hop Sing made some extra stew and bread. All we will have to do is warm it up."

That night as the boys ate supper, Adam thanked Hoss and Joe for taking care of the chores. Adam then excused himself and disappeared into the bedroom.

"So, Joe, you got any ideas yet??" Hoss asked as he started to clear the table.

"Well, Hoss, I figured we could make this into a little project. You know, see how may different ways we can come up with for catching mice." Joe walked to the dishpan and picked up the first clean dish and begin to dry it.

Hoss wrinkled his forehead. "Well, we don’t have much time. Tomorrow we can sit some food out and see if the varmints came out after it. We can sit real quiet like in the room and wait, then when they come out we can grab them."

Joe shook his head up and down. "That’s a good idea, Hoss. We’ll try that. I thought that we could wait in there tonight, and when they come out we can throw sacks on them."

"Hey, that might work. You know, Joe, if it doesn’t, we’re going to have to set traps. Those mice have to be gone before Pa gets home."

"Okay, if we don’t catch them by tomorrow afternoon, we will set traps. This way we can catch and dispose of them before Pa gets home the next day. But, Hoss, I don’t want to do that unless we have to. They are my friends." Joe dried his hands and headed for the barn to gather some burlap sacks. Hoss waited beside Pa’s bedroom door. When Joe came back into the house, they put their plan into action.

Hoss and Joe sat very still in the darkness, waiting for the furry critters to appear. All at once, they saw a ball of fur run across the bedroom floor. Joe jumped up with the burlap sack and flung it over what he thought was the mouse. Instead, he only caught one of Pa’s old boots.

As the moonlight shone into the window, Hoss caught a glimpse of another intruder sitting on Ben’s bed chewing yet another hole into the quilt that laid on top. Hoss leaped across the room, fell onto his father’s bed, and CRASH!! The ropes broke that were holding up the mattress, and Hoss found himself lying on the wooden planked floor.

As Hoss was getting up from the floor, the bedroom door flew open. Adam stood in the doorway with his pants pulled on but not buttoned, no shirt, and a bewildered look on his face. "What are you two doing?"

Hoss yanked Adam into the room and quickly shut the door. "We. . .uhh. . .were. .umm. . . looking for something. Ain’t that right, Joe."

"Yeah, we were looking for something."

"In Pa’s room, you know you’re not allowed in here without his permission. What on earth are you looking for, and what in Sam Hill did you do to his bed?" Adam moved over and stood by the fallen mattress.

"I fell," Hoss said, as he slid a look to his younger brother.

Adam turned around with a puzzled look on his face. "Fell? On what?"

Hoss’ answer was simple, "The mattress."

Adam ran his hand through his hair. "Look, I don’t even want to know. All I have to say is you two better fix this mess before Pa gets home." Adam pointed his finger at the disaster behind him. "If not, you two can explain to him what happened."

 

Joe stepped in front of his oldest brother. "We will fix it, Adam. Don’t worry."

"Fine. Now, go to bed." Adam stepped out of the bedroom, leaving two worried young boys behind.

"Come on, Joe. We’ll take care of this in the morning. Let’s get some sleep." Hoss put his hand on Joe’s shoulder and guided him out of the room.

"What about the mice, Hoss?"

Hoss tsked, "Well, I guess we’ll just have to set some traps. There’s a whole bunch of them out in the barn. There must be twenty or thirty."

"What are we doing with so many traps," Joe asked, as he looked over his shoulder at his big brother.

Hoss shrugged his large shoulders. "I don’t know. It don’t matter no how, we will get them and use them on them there mice."

Both boys crept into the bunk room so as not to disturb Adam. They quickly undressed and hopped into bed. They were each fast asleep before anyone could say the word "mouse."

 

The next morning at breakfast Adam fussed and complained to Hoss and Joe about the mess they had created. His final words before walking out the door were, "Clean up that mess, or else."

Hoss and Joe both wondered what he meant by "or else," but decided it might be better if they didn’t find out.

After they finished their breakfast they went into their father’s room and cleaned up the mess. As they made the bed, they noticed a few new holes in their father’s quilt.

"Hoss, I think Pa might notice these holes." Joe pointed to the new spots at the top of the covering.

"Well, we won’t worry about that now. Pa will be home tomorrow and we got to get rid of them mice." Hoss glanced around the room. "Why is it they hide in the daytime? I don’t even see one of them little critters."

"After we finish with this, we can go do our chores. Then we can set the traps. You will help me, won’t you, Hoss?" Joe gave Hoss one of his famous puppy dog looks, sticking his bottom lip slightly out and making it quiver.

"Yeah, I’ll help ya. I ain’t even sure how I got into this mess. Come on. Let’s go get our chores done."

The boys headed outside and started on their regular routine.

That afternoon they went into Pa’s room and set all the mouse traps. They even put some in his bed, since this is where they seem to find the most chewed spots. As they backed out of the room they placed the last couple of traps on the floor. They shut the door carefully so as not to disturb the set traps.

Hoss dusted his hands together. "Well, little brother, that should take care of everything. Next time I hope you listen to me and don’t bring home no more pets."

"They weren’t pets, Hoss, not for me anyway. We were going to train them to be a circus."

"Well, whatever the reason, it was stupid to bring them into the house." Hoss sat down on the settee and put his arm across his eyes. "I don’t know about you, Joe, but this mouse hunting is wearing me out."

Joe sat beside his brother. "Yeah, I’m tired too." He laid his head on Hoss’ arm and they both fell into a peaceful sleep.

Adam didn’t wake Hoss and Joe until supper time. They sat at the table and discussed whether or not the mess was cleaned up in Pa’s room. Hoss and Joe both said it was. Then Adam started asking why they were in his room to begin with.

Hoss looked at Joe as Joe looked at Adam.

"Okay, I know you two aren’t telling me the whole story. And you know what? I don’t even want to know. If I don’t get involved, then I won’t get in trouble when Pa finds out about whatever you two did." Adam stood from the table. "I hope whatever it was, it’s taken care of. Pa will be home tomorrow. "I’m going to bed," Adam said as he rose from the table.

"It’s all taken care of, Adam, honest." Joe raised his right hand as if he were taking an oath.

Adam shook his head. "Uh-huh, sure it is, Joe." He then walked to the bunk room and went to bed.

Hoss and Joe followed their older bother, leaving the dishes to be done in the morning. Little did any of them know that Ben was on his way home at that very moment. And in a few hours their lives were going to become very interesting.

It was around 2:00 a.m. when Ben walked his horse into the yard of the Ponderosa. He could have stopped in town, but he was so close to home he didn’t want to. The thought of his own comfortable bed gave him the strength to carry on. He dismounted from his horse and lead it into the barn. The only light came from the moon above.

Ben fumbled around for a match to light the lantern that hung just inside the barn door. When the light was lit, he glanced around the barn. It was nice and tidy. He was very pleased that the boys had done their chores properly while he was gone. He led his horse to the empty stall and proceeded in giving him some fresh water and oats.

Ben blew out the lantern and headed for the house. He couldn’t wait to crawl into his nice cool bed, with its clean sheets and inviting covers. Just the thought of it had Ben taking longer strides to reach his destination.

Ben slowly opened the front door--he did not want to disturb his sons. As he entered the house he hung his hat on the peg beside the door. He took off his jacket and placed it on the back of the chair; he then sat in the chair and took off his boots. He tiptoed to his sons bedroom door and cracked it just enough to check on his sleeping angels. When he was satisfied with what he saw, he turned to head for his own room.

Ben pushed open the bedroom door. The moon was shining into the room ever so slightly. He stepped into the bedroom and SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!!

"What in ZEUS!!" Ben’s voice bellowed throughout the silent house. He then hopped in his socked feet to the bed so he could sit down and pull the mouse traps off his toes. As he sat down on the soft bed, SNAP, SNAP, SNAP, and SNAP."

"WHAT THE HE--" Ben caught himself before speaking the forbidden four letter word.

By this time, Adam, Hoss, and Joe had sprung from their beds and like wild horses ran to their father’s bedroom. They stood in the doorway, eyes wide as a full moon, mouths hanging open.

Ben glanced up and saw his three sons standing before him. "Would someone like to tell me what is going on??" At that very moment one of the little furry vermin scurried across Ben’s lap. Ben stood up, mouse traps hanging from the back of his pants, his shirt, and stuck to his toes. The little mouse flew across the room, and Joe reached down and picked it up as quick as he could.

"Pa," Joe screamed, "you could have killed him!"

 

Adam had gone into the main room to light a lamp. He then returned to his father’s room. Ben stood before the three of them, arms crossed, eyebrows furrowed, face red, and temper rising.

"I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE SAM HILL IS GOING ON. NOW!!!"

All three young men took a step back away from their father’s door.

Ben spoke again in just a little bit of a softer tone, "And somebody help me get these mouse traps off my toes. NOW!!"

All three boys hurried into the room. "Pa, sit down on the bed so we can help you," Adam said, as he placed the lamp on the bedside table.

Ben cocked his head to the side. "I’m afraid I will be attacked again."

Adam motioned for his little brother, " Joe, get the traps off Pa’s bed for gosh sakes."

Joe nodded his head and scampered over to the bed and picked up the rest of the traps.

Ben then went and sat on the side of the bed; but before sitting down, he pointed to a mouse trap hanging from the seat of his pants.

Hoss took a step closer and pried the trap off his father;s backside. Ben then sat on the edge of the

bed, lifting his feet so his sons could release the traps from his aching toes.

Adam looked at Ben from the top of his eyes, "Umm...Pa, does it hurt real bad?"

Ben mumbled, "It will be a miracle if they aren’t broken."

"The mouse traps??" Hoss asked, with a bemused look on his face.

Bens lips turned into a straight line. "No, son, my toes."

"Oh." was Hoss’ only response.

After all of the traps had been removed from Ben’s clothing and feet. He stood before his three somewhat nervous sons.

"I don’t know what this is all about, but I assure you I will find out in the morning. Now, go to bed!"

Like a singing quartet, the three boys chorused, "Yes, sir, Pa." The three of them turned and hightailed it back to the safety of their own beds.

As they laid in their bunks, Adam finally broke the silence. "How on earth did mice get into the house?"

Hoss replied, "Adam, it’s a long story."

The three young men each turned over trying to go to sleep. However, sleep did not come easy for any of them.

The next morning as Adam, Hoss, and Joe sat at the table eating their breakfast, Ben hobbled into the room. He didn’t look any happier this morning than he did last night. He pulled out the chair at the front of the table and sat down.

At first no one spoke. After a few minutes, Hoss finally broke the silence. "Pa?"

Ben looked up from his coffee mug. "Yes?"

"What are you doin’ home a day early?" Hoss almost blurted out the words.

"Well, if you must know, it didn’t take as long to check out the cattle that I thought it would." Ben set his now half full cup on the table.

"Hoss?" Ben begin.

"Yes, Pa?"

"Why were there mouse traps in my room?"

Hoss slid Joe a pleading look, "Umm. . . ‘cause there were mice in your room?"

Bed slid his hand down his face and turned his attention to his oldest son. "Adam, why were there mice in my room?"

Adam shifted slightly before taking a bite of eggs. "Pa, I have no idea. But you might want to ask to Joe."

Joe’s eyes went wide as he heard his brother speak his name.

Ben then directed his attention to the youngest boy, "Joseph?"

"Yes, Pa."

"Can you explain why there are mice in my room?"

Joe placed his fork on the side of his place. "Uhh. . . I think I can explain that, sir."

Ben nodded his head as he waved his hand. "Well, I suggest you do and quickly."

Joe took a quick breath and blurted out the whole sordid story. He told his Pa about bringing home the mice, getting them out of the barn, and accidently setting them free. When he was all finished explaining everything he sat back in his chair and let out a deep sigh of relief.

Ben then turned his attention back to oldest son. "And where were you when all of this was going on?"

Adam couldn’t believe it. He was getting in trouble and he didn’t even know all this was happening. "Pa, I had taken Hop Sing into town. I didn’t even know that these two had any mice in the house."

Ben raised an eyebrow. "Did your brother know about the mice and the traps?"

Hoss and Joe both answered in unison, "No, Pa."

"I want every one of those mice caught--today." Ben said, as he got up from the table to retrieve another cup of coffee.

They again answered together, "Yes, Pa."

Joe shifted in his chair. "Pa?"

"Yes, Joseph."

Joe wrinkled his nose at the use of his proper name. "Is that all?"

Ben sat back down at the table. "Do you think that should be all?"

Joe hated it when his father answered his question with another question. This usually meant that his Pa thought there should be more.

Joe made some circles with his fork in his eggs. "I really don’t know, Pa. What do you think?"

Ben blew on his hot coffee. "Why don’t you ask Eric."

Hoss cringed; he knew that wasn’t all--especially when Pa called him Eric.

Joe turned his head toward Hoss. "What do you think, Hoss, should that be all?"

"Umm. . . I don’t rightly know, Joe. I guess that’s up to Pa."

They both turned their heads back in Ben’s direction.

"Adam," Ben spoke in a low tone.

Adam looked up. "Yes, Pa?"

"Please go start on the chores. Joseph and Eric will be along in a moment. Oh ,and Adam, I think the woodshed needs to be filled."

Adam gave his brothers a look of sympathy as he rose from the table. "Excuse me, please," Adam said, and was out the door like a bolt of lightning.

Adam knew that filling the woodshed was his punishment for not paying better attention to what his brothers had been up to. But he decided he got off real easy. Adam headed for the barn to start cleaning the stalls. He then would be spending the rest of his day chopping wood until the shed was full.

Ben stood from the table and moved to sit on the settee. After he collected his thoughts, he had Hoss and Joe came stand before him.

"Boys, I must say this is one of the worst stunts you have ever pulled."

"But Pa.." Hoss started to defend himself. "I was just trying to help Joe."

"I know,Hoss, but if you had gone straight to Adam when you first found out, you probably could have saved yourself a heap of trouble."

"Pa?" Little Joe’s voice broke in.

"What is it, Joseph?"

"Are ya. . . I mean. . . are you goin;. . . you know, to tan us?" Joe shifted back and forth from one foot to the other.

Ben rubbed his chin. "No, Joseph, I’m not going to tan you. I don’t believe either of you did any of this on purpose. But you both should have done things differently."

Ben stood up and paced in front of his sons. "First of all, I want those mice caught--every single one of them. Second, I want my room cleaned, and I mean cleaned. I want it scrubbed from top to bottom, even the corners. I want my sheets washed and my quilt repaired. Anything that is chewed up will be your responsibility to replace. I then want my bed fixed properly. I’m not sure how it was broken in the first place, but it is no longer even. After that, you both can share in doing my chores until I can put my boots on again–not that either of you will be going anywhere for the next couple of days."

Joe whined, "All of that just for letting some stupid mice escape into your room?"

Hoss elbowed him in the shoulder. "Shut up, Joe. It could be a lot worse."

Ben looked at his youngest son, then bent slightly at the waist so he was eye to eye. "Joseph, my room would not be in the shape that it is if you had not brought those mice into the house in the first place. Mice are nasty animals; they leave droppings everywhere. And that, young man, is why you are scrubbing my room top to bottom. And Hoss is joining you because he could have prevented all of this from happening. Maybe next time you will think about it before you bring anything into the house. And maybe Hoss will tell somebody before it gets out of hand, instead of helping you cover up what you did."

Hoss began to flush at his father’s comment

Ben waved his hand to his room. "You are both excused so that you can get busy. Oh, and one more thing, boys--someone needs to do the dishes from last night and today."

Hoss moaned, Joe groaned, but they both got busy. Joe took care of the dishes as Hoss started on his father’s bedroom. Catching twelve little mice was not an easy chore. How not one of those mice got caught in a trap was beyond them. For gosh sakes, they had caught Pa, why did they not catch one mouse?

Both boys spent the entire day cleaning, mending, washing, and doing their father’s chores. When everything was done,. they mounted their horses and rode far away from the house to set the furry critters free.

"Don’t ever ask me to set mouse traps in Pa’s room again. I ain’t ever getting involved in another one of your projects," Hoss said, as he and Little Joe rode back to the Ponderosa.

 

Several days later, Joe rode home from his best friend’s house. He jumped off the back of his horse and carefully untied a small wooden crate from the saddle horn.

Hoss stepped out of the barn with a frown on his face. "What’s in the box, Little Joe?"

Joe took a step closer to his brother and slowly lifted the lid. "Snakes. Me and Mitch thought we could sell ‘em as pets."

"NOOOOOOOOO!!!!" Hoss yelled at the top of his lungs.

 

Joe stood, a puzzled look on his young face. "What’s the matter with you, Hoss?"

"Joe, you ain’t keepin no critters around here, not after what happened last time." Hoss was waving his hands in his younger brother’s face.

"The same thing won’t happen with the snakes, Hoss, honest."

"Well, I ain’t takin’ no chances." Hoss grabbed the box out of his little brother’s hand. He then jumped on Paint and rode out of sight.

Ben had heard Hoss yell and had stepped onto the front porch. He watched his youngest son’s face as he approached the house.

"Where’s your brother going, Joseph?" Ben asked, as Joe placed a foot on the bottom step.

"I don’t know, Pa, but can Hoss be arrested for snakenapping?" Little Joe had a very serious expression on his face.

"Snakenapping? Never mind, Joseph. I don’t think I really want to know."

Ben placed his arm around his youngest’s shoulders and they headed into the house. Joseph took a deep breath and started to tell Ben the whole story. Ben silently put in the back of his mind to thank Hoss for disposing of Little Joe’s new found friends.

 

The End