One Day

By Christine

 

Ben eased his horse over the crest of the hill and pulled to a stop. Placing his right hand on his knee he gazed down over the herd. They were in good condition. There appeared to be at least another week of grazing left before he would need to ask Adam and Hoss to move the herd to fresh pastures. Glancing back as Joe joined him; he smiled broadly and spread his arm wide.

"What do you think, Joe? They’re looking good aren’t they?"

Joe shaded his eyes from the sun and glanced across the valley to the herd. "They sure are Pa, real good."

"Well, young man, how about some fishing?"

"Really, Pa?" Joe’s voice was high with excitement. "Can we go to that pond we rode past on the way up?"

Ben reached over and ruffled the boy’s hair. "I don’t see why not, young man. Let’s see if we can surprise Hop Sing and catch enough for supper tonight."

They returned to the pond, more a deep hole in the river, the water a dark jade green, so deep it was impossible to see the bottom. Ben helped Joe rig a fishing line from a willow sapling, cut from a tree along the river bank. For several hours they fished, quickly catching enough to provide their first trout meal of the summer. Carefully attaching the fish to his pole, Joe placed them in the shade, under a tree beside the river.

Joe lay back, resting his head in the soft grass. Grass grown tall from spring rain and sun. A gentle summer breeze stirred the meadow, rippling the grass and gently caressing the boy’s face. Joe sighed deeply and allowed his eyes to focus on the clear, blue sky above him. For several moments Joe lay there hardly moving, watching the white, billowing clouds move slowly across the sky from west to east. Joe turned his head, looking over at his father. Ben was sitting, eyes closed; back resting against an old gnarled tree trunk, legs stretched out in front of him.

"Pa?"

"Hmmn?" Ben’s eyes remained closed as he answered.

"Pa, look at that cloud up there. What do you think it looks like?"

Ben opened his eyes and glanced at his son before turning his eyes upward to where the boy was pointing.

Although the cloud was beginning to break up, the shape was unmistakable. Ben smiled back at his son. "That’s a dolphin, Joe."

"Yeah, that’s what I thought too. Isn’t it beautiful? It’s sort of a darker grey on top and really light underneath, along its belly." Joe was quiet for a moment. Ben waited, knowing there was more to come.

"Pa?" Joe turned to his father, eyes bright. "Pa, have you ever seen a real dolphin?"

Ben leaned his head back against the trunk of the tree and closed his eyes for a moment. Memories of a past life surfaced. Memories of months at sea, of wind and salt spray whipping his face, of beautiful creatures frolicking and surfing in the ship’s wake. Many times the dolphins would stay with them for days on end, seeming to enjoy the company of men. Maybe it was the sound of their voices or the creaking of the rigging, which attracted them. Whatever the reason, they were always considered a good omen by the sailors, much like the beautiful white albatross.

"Pa?" Joe’s voice broke Ben from his thoughts. "Have you ever seen one?"

Ben smiled at his son. "Yes, Joe. There were times at sea, there were so many of them, the ocean almost seemed alive with them."

Joe’s eyes sparkled. "Really, Pa?" Joe stood and walked to his father, sitting down next to him, against the tree trunk. "Pa, could you maybe tell me about a time when you saw dolphins?"

Ben looked into the sparkling eyes of his youngest son and placing an arm around his shoulders, smiled as he replied. "You know, Joe, there have been many stories recorded of dolphins rescuing people at sea, staying with them, and preventing them from drowning."

Joe’s eyes were wide as he looked up at his father. "Did you ever see something like that, Pa?"

Ben thought for a moment. "Well, I remember one summer, when John and I were staying with our grandparents at the Cape. A family – a father and his three children - were swimming just beyond the breakers. Suddenly they were joined by a pod of dolphins. The dolphins were behaving strangely, herding the family together, turning tight circles and slapping the water with their tails.

Joe placed a hand on his father’s knee, his eyes wide. "Gol-ly, Pa, was the family frightened?"

"I’m sure they were, Joe." Ben smiled gently at his son. "Every time one of the family members drifted away, the dolphins would herd them back together and circle as though they were trying to protect them."

"What do you think they were trying to protect them from, Pa?" Concern gave the boy’s voice an edge.

Ben shifted his weight slightly and then continued. "Well, it turned out there was a great white shark close by and the dolphins were trying to protect the family from being attacked by the shark."

Joe was quiet for a while, lost in thought. "Did the family make it back to shore safely?"

Ben was pleased he could put his son’s concerns to rest. "The dolphins stayed with the family for over half an hour fending off the shark. It was only when the shark swam away that the dolphins allowed the family to swim back to shore."

Again Joe seemed lost in thought and his hand pulled at the fabric on Ben’s trousers. "Pa?" He said softly. Ben glanced down at him. "Do you think I’ll ever get to see a dolphin?"

Ben laughed, then, and ruffled the boy’s hair. "You know, Joe, San Francisco and the ocean aren’t that far away. I’m sure one day you’ll take a trip there. Who knows, maybe one day we’ll even drive our cattle there."

 

* * * * * * * * * * * *

 

The sun cast long shadows across the yard as Ben and Joe rode in. Hoss stepped off the porch and smiled half-heartedly. "Let me put your horse up for you, Pa."

Ben gave his son a long, discerning look. "How was your picnic with Tess, son?"

Hoss looked down, shoulders hunched. "Aw Pa, she changed her mind. Decided she had more important things to do than go on a picnic."

"Hey, Hoss," Joe interrupted. "How many fish do ya think Pa and I caught?"

"Joseph, take those fish into Hop Sing, please." Ben gestured toward the house. "Then take care of your horse."

"But, Pa -"

"Now, son."

Joe’s lips twisted to the right, but he knew better than to argue. "Yes, sir." He retrieved the fish from his horse and walked toward the house. When he stepped on to the porch, Ben turned back to Hoss. Placing an arm across the boy’s shoulders, he gently pushed the boy forward as they led the horses toward the barn.

"You know Hoss? I think Tess is the one who missed out today." Ben was rewarded with a gentle, shy, smile from his son.

Hoss reached for his father’s horse. "I’ll put him up for you, Pa."

"Thanks, son." Ben handed over the reins. "You make sure Joe takes care of his own horse."

Hoss grinned. "Sure, Pa."

Ben watched for a moment as Hoss walked to the barn. He shook his head slowly. The poor behaviour of Tess Greene continued to astound him. He knew for certain, if that young lady were his daughter, she would very quickly learn the meaning of honesty and sincerity.

Turning, Ben strode to the corral, long ground eating strides quickly covering the distance. Placing his right boot on the bottom rail, he rested his arms along the top and watched as Adam ran the filly through her paces.

"She’s got the smoothest gait of any horse we’ve trained, so far, Pa."

Ben observed the young horse with a critical eye. "I believe she has, yes. When is Mr. Pierce coming to pick her up?"

Adam brought the horse to a stop and walked to his father. "He said he’d be here on Thursday and would discuss price then." Adam looked down at his boot, scuffing it in the dirt before looking back at his father, a smile lighting his face. "He also said if he liked what he saw, he would put in an order for another six."

Ben grinned back. "Well, that is good news, son."

"Yes, I thought so." Adam took off his hat and wiped his brow with the back of his sleeve. "How’s the herd looking, Pa?"

"The herd’s in good condition, son." Ben shifted slightly so the late afternoon sun was not directly in his eyes. "There’s enough grazing for another week at least. Then we’ll have to move them, perhaps to the north pasture."

"Hey, Adam?" Ben turned as Joe ran toward them from the house. "Guess what we saw today?"

"I don’t know little brother, what did you see?" Adam eyed his brother with skepticism, born of his brother’s penchant for telling whoppers.

"A dolphin, we saw a dolphin!" Joe’s voice was high, excited.

Adam’s eyebrows rose in disbelief. "Joe, dolphins don’t live in rivers, at least, not this far from the sea."

Joe rolled his eyes and placed both hands on his waist. "It wasn’t a real dolphin, Adam." Joe raised his hand to the sky. "It was a cloud dolphin." Joe looked at his father for confirmation. "Wasn’t it, Pa?"

"I believe that’s what it was, yes," Ben observed dryly. Placing his arm across the boy’s shoulders, he gently reminded. "Now, I think you have a horse to take care of, and then I want you to wash up for supper."

Joe took off at a run, but turned back after he’d gone only a few paces. "Adam, when I’m a bit older, I’m going to visit San Francisco and see the ocean, and maybe even some dolphins." That said, he turned and ran toward the barn, arms turning at his sides, like windmills in the wind.

Adam turned to his father, eyebrow raised. "What’s all that about, Pa?"

Ben smiled. "Well, it seems your brother has a dream to see the ocean – and dolphins."

Adam laughed. "Yeah, the kid always does dream big."

"There’s nothing wrong with that, Adam." Ben gestured for Adam to join him as they walked to the house for supper. "I have no doubt your brother will make that trip to San Francisco. One day."

 

The End