The Never-Ending Pain of Glass

By Gail G.

(the sequel to The Pain of Glass)

Rating: G

Disclaimer: I do not own the Cartwright characters.

Thanks to Marion for her wonderful beta-reading. Thanks a bunch, Marion.

Thanks to Sheryl M. for her third set of eyes to help catch those extra mistakes.

Thanks to Nancy for letting me borrow some of her characters. Smoke, Abigail, and John Adams are Nancy's wonderful creation. Thanks Nancy!!

 

The air was fresh and cool as I drove the team down the trail on the way to Eagle Station. I was alone for I had left my three mischievous sons behind to complete a never-ending list of chores. Now, my sons are usually well behaved, but yesterday the three of them somehow managed to break four panes of glass from the window beside the bunkroom.

I had heard three stories and after piecing the tales together to make one, I concluded how the incident happened. I lectured each of them and gave them an ongoing list of tasks to be completed. Adam was the only one out of the trio that had sufficient funds to pay for his share of the broken glass. However, I didn’t think it would do him any harm to join his brothers in some extra chores.

"Hi ya, Ben!" Shelby yelled as I drove past the saloon. I nodded my head and smiled at her. She then turned around and disappeared inside the darkened building. When I reached the Trading Post I pulled the horses to a stop and climbed down from my seat.

I stopped for a moment and glanced around the town. The streets were covered with mud that I realized I now had on my boots. Jack’s place seemed to be buzzing as men entered his establishment while others came out smiling. I noticed some boys Joseph’s age playing marbles by the livery stable. I’m sure Little Joe would have joined them had he been allowed in town. After taking in the sights for a few moments I turned around and went inside.

Eli was standing behind the counter counting change back to a young woman that I recognized as Adam’s new love interest Sharon Sims. She turned and grinned from ear to ear when she saw me. I looked down and chuckled as I imagined that Miss Sims was hoping that my eldest was with me.

"Oh, Mr. Cartwright. What a pleasant surprise," she said, as she tried to look around me into the street.

"Sharon," I said, as I tipped my hat. She was craning her neck and standing on her tiptoes when I finally blurted out that Adam did not come with me. Her expression changed to a pout.

"Oh, I see. Well would you please let him know that I said. . .ummmm. . .Hello?" Her eyes danced just at the mention of my son’s name.

I grinned at her, "I surely will." She then nodded her head and I stepped to the side so she could pass. Sharon is a very nice young lady, even though I do not always approve of my son’s activities with her. I found them kissing once in public and was not pleased at all. Believe me Adam heard more than one word about it and since then I’ve not heard of anymore such incidents.

"Ahhh. . .Benjamin. What can I help you with today?" Eli stepped from behind the counter and shook my hand.

"Well, Eli, I need four panes of glass."

I saw him raise his eyebrow. "Four panes of glass?" I watched as he returned to his spot behind the counter.

"Yes, four panes of glass. Do you have them in stock?" I never once thought about him not even having the glass in the store.

Eli glanced over to his wife. Ruth had stopped dusting the shelf so she could listen to my tale. "Did perhaps someone break a window?" Eli asked.

Ruth laid down the duster and moved closer to her husband. She crossed her arms and had a look of question on her face.

"Well, Eli you’re correct. The boys broke four panes of glass from one of the windows. I need to replace them."

"How did they break four?" Ruth couldn’t hold back her questioning.

I heard myself saying something that angers me when one of my sons says it. "It’s a long story."

They both chuckled and Ruth simply shook her head as she headed back to her undusted shelves.

Eli motioned for me to join him in the backroom. He moved over to a shelf and uncovered a few panes of glass.

"You are lucky, Ben. I just received these yesterday." He said, as he gently lifted the number of panes I needed from the stack and handed them to me.

"I’m not the one who’s lucky, those boys of mine are." If I had come all the way to town to find out that Eli was out of glass, I would have been furious. My three sons would not have been happy when I got finished with them.

We walked to the counter where I paid for my purchase. I was correct it was not an inexpensive one. "Let me help you load these." Eli said. He then lifted two of the panes and wrapped them carefully in brown paper. When he thought they were secure, he did the same with the two remaining pieces.

"This should protect them some on your ride home." He said, as we turned to head for the door.

Just as we made it to the door, a bunch of young boys ran through, upsetting my balance. I felt myself falling on my backside, still holding the glass in my hands. I was afraid to open my eyes. But to my surprise the panes were still in one piece.

"Sorry, mister," one of the smallest boys said, as he ran over to the candy counter. I simply nodded to let him know I heard him.

If that had been Joseph running through doorways like that I would have reminded him that that was not the proper way to conduct himself. However, I held my tongue as Eli helped me from the floor.

"Thank you." I said, as he pulled me up.

He laughed. "You are welcome, but you may want to be more careful. Glass is very breakable."

I found myself doing a second thing that I lecture my sons for ‘rolling my eyes’ at my friends comment.

Eli chuckled as he followed me to the wagon. We carefully wrapped each piece of my precious cargo in a blanket. He then patted the top with his hand. "Good luck my friend."

"I think I may need it." I said, as I climbed into the wagon to start on my way home.

I was not even out of town when the next event occurred. Now I’m not sure if this was just a test of my patience or if God was trying to tell me something. As I just reach the edge of town, I saw an object fly by my head. I reined the horses to a stop to see what on earth was going on.

As soon as I stopped I was assaulted with flying apples. I lifted my arms to protect myself as the objects were thrown at me. Finally the attack stopped and I looked up only to see the retreating backs of some of the older boys from town. I did not see any of them clearly enough to point fingers, but I can say I was furious. I could feel the heat rising to my face and I’m sure that vein of mine was throbbing like there was no tomorrow.

I then realized what hard apples could do to breakable glass. I tied off the reins and hopped out of the wagon. I slowly uncovered my packages and was in luck. Each pane of glass was unharmed. It would be a miracle if I made it home with this purchase in one piece. After getting myself comfortable and looking around for anymore apple throwing boys, I was once again on my way. If I found out one of my sons had been throwing anything at anyone I would throw something at them–and it would not be something they would enjoy.

Thinking that the worse was over I started to notice the scenery around me as I drove the horses forward. I noticed the birds twittering away in the tall green pines as the squirrels skittered around on the branches. As I went by a small pond I noticed a young doe dipping her lips into the clear water. What I didn’t notice was the fact that the sky was becoming dark and gray. How many times have I told the boys that it’s important to pay attention to the sky.

It didn’t even occur to me what was happening. I had noticed all of a sudden that everything had become very silent but at the time it didn’t register. I just happened to glance up at the darkened sky when all of the sudden a clap of thunder was heard in the distance.

"Oh no." I spoke aloud. All I needed was a rain storm! Well at least rain won’t break glass. I had not completed my thought when I noticed a small piece of ice land on the empty seat next to me. "Oh no." I said again. Rain won’t break glass, but hail will. I quickly looked around at my surroundings so I could get a bearing as to where I was. I need to find a place to pull the wagon until this small storm passed. Well hopefully it will be a small storm. I finally noticed a small overhanging on the mountain ahead. I hurried to the horses and barely made it to safety when the rains came. Then it wasn’t two seconds later that large hailstones scattered across the earth.

Glory be, what was it about today? I was beginning to wonder if these four panes of glass were the cause of my distress. Surely all of this was coincidence. After about ten minutes the dark clouds had passed and I was able to go on my way.

The horses trotted toward home. I was determined to get there with this glass intact if it killed me, which it might just do. Finally, the house came into view, and I felt a surge of relief. I made it!

I pulled the wagon in front of the barn and hopped down off the seat. "Hi, Pa. Did ya get the umm. . .glass?" Hoss asked, as he looked down and kicked at the earth.

I glared back at him. "Yes I did." I then changed the subject. "Did that hailstorm damage anything?"

Adam looked at me as if I was insane. "What hail storm?"

"I was caught in a hail storm on the way home. Did you not have one here?" I moved to the back of the wagon and started to uncover the glass.

"Nope, the suns been shinin’ all day here, Pa." Hoss said, with a weary grin on his face.

I closed my eyes for a moment; God must have been testing me. That was it; he was seeing just how patient I was. Hopefully I passed the test and it is now over. I lifted the first pane of glass out of the wagon and headed across the yard.

"Pa, you want help with that?" Adam asked. I simply turned around and frowned at him. "Guess not, huh?" Adam and Hoss then turned and disappeared back into the barn.

I turned back around and started to walk when all of a sudden Joe ran past me almost knocking me down in the process. "JOSEPH!" I shouted.

Joe stopped instantly at the sound of my voice and he turned around slowly. He was chewing on his bottom lip and wringing his hands. I wonder what this young man has been up to.

"Yes, Pa?" Joe answered, not looking into my face.

"Joseph, I would appreciate it if you would watch where you are going. Please."

Joe released a breath of air and I could see his body relax. "Sure, Pa, sorry." He then turned and ran off.

By the way that young man relaxed when I only asked him to watch where he was going, I knew for a fact he was in some type of mischief. What that may be I did not know. It is not uncommon for Joe to be wrapped-up in several projects at once. I decided I would speak to him later tonight. But at the moment the window project was still calling me.

I finally made my way in the house with the first pane of glass. I glanced around quickly to see if there was a safe place to lay my treasure until I retrieved the rest of the needed materials. I decided to place the glass on the table. I did so with great care and then headed outside to fetch the next piece.

I made my way to the wagon and decided it would be easier to just carry all three remaining pieces in at once. I was just being overly cautious for fear of breaking the precious glass. I lifted the panes out of the wagon still wrapped in their protective covering and headed back to the house.

I had made it about half way when I heard a distant bark and growl. I stopped to look around trying to see what Joseph’s dog Smoke was barking about. This is when Hoss’ kittens, Abigail and John Adams appeared from nowhere. Smoke was close behind chasing the two as if there were no tomorrow.

Unfortunately for me, the pair stopped by my feet to play a game of cat and mouse with the dog. I found myself dancing around trying once again not to drop the items in my hand. Smoke barked, Abigail hissed and John Adams climbed. Where did he climb you ask? Yep, it was right up my leg. So while Smoke barked, Abigail hissed, and John Adams climbed--I yelled.

"DAMNATION!" Did I just say that out loud? I must have because Hoss and Adam are now standing if front of me with shocked looks on their faces.

Adam propped his hands on his hips as he asked. "What did you just say, Pa?"

"Get this cat off my shoulder, NOW!" I demanded.

Hoss reached over and pulled the frightened kitten from my shirt. He then placed the animal on the ground. I swear those cats and that dog were laughing at me. I frowned at them and the three cocked their heads to the side.

"Pa, they didn’t mean nothin’. They’re just playin’." Hoss defended the trio that were now running off in the opposite direction.

I simply grunted as I started to push my way past my sons. I heard Adam chuckle then speak in a low tone. "If we had said that word we would be standing by the sink with soap in our mouths."

"You could be standing by the sink with soap in your mouth for being sassy, young man." I looked over my shoulder and my eldest son’s expression was almost amusing.

With wide eyes he answered with a quick, "Yes, sir." He then grabbed his brother’s arm and pulled him back toward the barn.

I stepped into the house and placed the remaining panes on the table. I could hardly believe that I had made it–and the glass was still in one piece. I decided to sit down and rest my weary body for a few moments before tackling the job of placing the glass in the window.

I had just sat down on the settee when Hop Sing handed me a cup of tea. "Hard day?" he asked, as he sat in the chair next to me.

"Yes, it has been." I took a sip of the tea and it warmed my stomach."Hop Sing, do you know what Joseph is up to?" I asked.

Hop Sing shook his head. "No, Joseph has been busy today. I do not know what he is doing."

"Just thought I would ask." I said. Hop Sing then stood and headed for a bucket beside the worktable. "Need to fetch water for supper," he said. He then walked down the hallway and disappeared out the back door.

I finished my beverage and decided it was time to fix the window. I had brought the putty and other needed items in the house earlier. I moved to the window and took the paper from the now empty spots where panes used to be. I had removed the broken fragments yesterday.

This is when I caught a movement from the corner of my eye. I leaned closer to the window and noticed Little Joe standing between the huge pine trees behind the house. I almost called to ask him what he was doing–but decided I was in no mood for a long drawn out story.

The house was quiet as I set the first piece of glass into its spot. I had just started on the second pane when a small stone shot through one of the openings of the window and hit the wall with a thud behind me. I stood and walked over and picked up the rock. I studied it closely when yet another stone came flying into the house. I was lucky that I had not replaced that piece of glass yet.

As I picked up the second rock it came to me that I had seen my youngest son in the pines behind the house. I walked over to the window and looked outside. Joe was just emerging out of the edge of the trees. He was frantically searching for something.

"Joseph!" I yelled.

Joe froze in his spot and looked up to find my voice. "Pa?"

"Come in the house, please." I ordered. Joe slowly tucked something in his back pocket and made his way around to the front so he could come inside.

When he stepped inside I was waiting for him with my hands propped on my hips. "Were you looking for these, perhaps?" I held my hand out to show my youngest the two stones.

Joe looked up at me with surprise on his face. "Gee, thanks, Pa." He reached out to grab the rocks from my hand–but I pulled it back.

"Would you like to tell me what you are doing out there." I pointed to the window.

Joe shifted. "Ya mean outside?"

"Yes." I said, with an angry tone. "Do you realize that these rocks came through that window, young man? You’re very lucky that they did not break out another piece of glass or we would be having a different kind of conversation at the moment."

Joe shifted and I saw him gulp. "Now, what are you doing out there?" I asked in a no nonsense tone.

"I. . .I . . .was practicin’, sir." Joe whispered.

My patience was short. "Joseph, spit it out son. I’m in no mood for a ‘long story’." I placed my hands near my belt buckle and Joe instantly paled. It’s amazing to me just how fast my sons start to talk when I place my hands anywhere near my belt.

"Well ya see, Pa. Mitch gave me this here slingshot," Joe pulled the contraption from his back pocket, "and we have a bet to see who can hit the smallest target. Not a bet bet Pa–just a bet. Well anyway I thought I might be able to shoot some little pine cones, so I set them on the window sill and started to practice. Guess I wasn’t thinking, huh?"

"Have you been practicing shooting at the hen house?" That would explain all the rocks inside the coop. Not only that, the chickens have been in an uproar for days. "And is that how the new tin bucket became dented?"

Joe moved his hands behind his back and lowered his head so he was now looking at the floor. "Ummm. . .well. . .yes, Pa, sir. I guess I have been shootin’ at the hen house and I didn’t know that those little rocks would dent that tin bucket so bad, sir!"

"Have we not talked about slingshots before, young man? And please look at me and not the floor." Joe’s head come up and when he reached my face he squinted his eyes and puckered his mouth to the side.

"Yes sir, Pa, we have."

I reached my hand out with my palm facing up. I did not even have to instruct my son of what I wanted him to do. He reached in his back pocket and pulled the slingshot out. With a great sigh he placed it in my hand.

"You can do some more extra chores to pay for the bucket. And I think you need to find other things to do. Do you understand?"

"But, Pa! What about my bet?" Joe asked, then realized maybe he shouldn’t have when I frowned at him.

He quickly changed the subject. "I’ll go do my chores, Pa." He then turned to head out the door, but not before I smacked his backside. He turned and looked at me sheepishly and then headed outside.

Glory be–what am I going to do with that young man. I took the sling shot that I was holding and placed it in my own back pocket. I would find a safe place to put it later.

I then returned to the task that I had started and finished replacing the panes of glass. All four pieces were finally finished and I stood back to admire my handiwork. Who knew that replacing four small panes would be such a pain for me?

After I stood there for a while I realized how truly tiring my day had been. I decided I would go and relax. Since the boys are taking care of most of the chores I felt that it would be okay.

I went to my room and laid down on the bed. I must have been more tired than I thought because I dozed off. I was awakened by the sounds of my sons arguing in the next room. As I came to my senses I could smell Hop Sings famous chicken and dumplings floating through the air.

I glanced at the clock and it was well past six. I’m assuming they let me sleep and Hop Sing has a plate on the stove for me. When I sat up it came to me that the boys weren’t arguing but rather they were laughing

Hop Sings voice broke into the laughter. "Boys best stop. Remember what happen last time."

I then heard Adam’s voice. "Yeah, you don’t want to be in trouble like that again. I don’t think Pa will let you by with just some extra chores this time."

I wonder what he meant by that? I was just sitting up when I heard Joseph yell "En Garde!" I then heard the clashing of swords.

Swords, I thought to myself as I flew to my feet and ran out the bedroom door. I entered the main room just in time to see Hoss trip over John Adams. He then fell into Joseph who in turn started to fall backwards. I watched in amazement as the fireplace poker and that little shovel flew through the air and with a loud ‘CRASH’ all my hard work for the day was destroyed. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it.

Adam, Hoss, and Joseph must have been just as surprised as me. Their eyes were as large as plates and their mouths were hanging open. No one spoke a word as I entered the room and walked over to the broken window. I stood and stared at it with a disgusted look on my face. I noticed my sons decided it would be safer in a group and had huddled close together near the dining table.

I looked up at Hop Sing–who only shook his head. He broke the silence, "I warn boys not to play in house. But do they listen? No they do not–so look what happen to father window."

Three pairs of eyes rested upon me waiting for my explosion. Eric and Joseph broke out in a sweat–for good reason I assure you.

I was so furious I could barely speak. I had just lectured them yesterday about horseplay in the house. I had been more than understanding about the broken window.

I pointed to the door as I yelled. "Eric, Joseph, to the barn!"

Eric blanched at my direct order while Joseph looked as if he was going to vomit on his boots. Going to the barn meant one thing and one thing only, and they both knew what that thing was.

Eric threw up his hands. "Now, Pa. Don’t. . .don’t ya think I’m too old for what you're thinkin’?"

"Don’t you think you’re too old to be downright disobedient?" I said, as I pointed to the window that was broken yet again.

My middle son did not say a word; he simply looked at the floor and slouched his shoulders. I then took a glance over at Joseph who had not yet moved from his spot or spoken a word. He still looked sick.

I crossed my arms. "I hope I don’t need to repeat myself." This got their attention and they both walked slowly to the door never taking their eyes off of me. Once the door closed behind them I moved over to once again examine the broken glass.

I just could not believe it–the putty was not even dry. My eldest made his way over next to the window. "We tried to tell them, Pa." He said. I looked over at him and he had a slight smirk on his face.

"Yes I know you did. I heard you and Hop Sing before I came from my room."

Adam turned his head so I now could see his whole face. He grinned at me, "Were you eavesdropping, Pa?"

I closed my eyes. How many times today is my son going to catch me doing something that I would lecture them for? I have one thing over on him though. I am the parent and he is not. I gave him a simple answer as I headed for the door. "Yes I was, son." I grabbed my hat off the peg and stepped out onto the porch.

I hated having to punish any of my sons for any reason, but these two had gone too far. Normally when I lecture they will wait a few days before causing more mischief. To repeat the same crime the day after they had been warned of the consequences was just too much.

I stepped into the barn and found two very nervous sons. I remember being their age and finding myself in the same type of situation. Standing before my stern father sometimes felt like punishment enough. For some odd reason he did not look at it that way at all and he would always carry through with his promise.

I knew that I had to do the same. I want my sons to grow and become honorable, trustworthy, and caring men. I love them more than the air I breathe and to let them get away with misbehavior would not do.

Thank goodness I had let myself cool down before I stepped outside to that barn–well thank goodness for their backsides.

I started lecturing them immediately–shaking my finger at them the whole time. When the lecture was all finished Eric looked like he may pass out and Joseph was crying. I then moved on to the next part and gave them each a clear reminder of what happens when you outright defy your father. I’m sorry to say the lesson will not soon be forgotten.

When all was done I held and comforted each of my sons and yes, even Hoss as big as he is still needs to be comforted after such a punishment. Not only was his backside stinging, but his pride was also wounded for he felt he was too old to receive what I had just given him. After I sent Joe into the house I discussed in more detail as to what I expected from my middle son.

"Eric." I said, in a low tone, "I want you to understand that I expect you to set a good example for your brother."

"Yes, sir. Guess I wasn’t thinkin’. I’m real sorry, Pa." Hoss stood with his head hanging down. I reached out and touched his face. "I couldn’t let it slide. I just warned you both yesterday."

"But, Pa. Joe started it. I mean he kept wavin’ that little shovel in my face and well I couldn’t help it."

"Eric, I know Joe was tempting you. However, I expect my seventeen year old son to act his age. You knew better, you had the option to stop your brother. Eric I want you to be able to make the right choices, as you grow older. I want you to become the honorable man I know you are. Choosing right from wrong is often hard, but I want you and your brothers to at least know the difference."

He stood before me with wide eyes as my words reached his soul. I could tell by the way he was standing rigid that he was thinking about what I said.

"Hoss." His shoulders relaxed just a bit when I called him by his nickname. "I’m proud of you son, and don’t ever think I don’t love you. By the way, you and your brother will be paying for the glass needed for the window."

"I kinda knew we would be, sir." Hoss replied as he sighed deeply. I explained that I would have a list of chores for them each in the morning. Hoss nodded his head as he spoke, "Yes, sir, Pa. I’m sorry." I draped my arm across the young mans shoulders and we walked into the house together.

We stepped into the house and I lifted my arm from my son. "Goodnight." I said, and Hoss turned and headed for the bunkroom. I noticed Adam was sitting in the chair beside the fireplace reading a book.

He looked up for a brief moment as he held the page of the book in place with his thumb. "Bad day?"

Well that was an understatement, that’s for sure. "Yes, son, it was, and it only became worse when I had to discipline your brothers."

I realized all of a sudden that I hadn’t eaten any dinner. Punishing any of my children usually upsets me to the point that I can’t eat. But I knew I if did not try to put something into my stomach that I would regret it later.

I moved over to Hop Sings worktable and made myself a sandwich. I made my way across the room and went outside on the porch. . I took a bite from my sandwich and then moved to sit down on the bench beside the door.

As I sat down something poked me in my backside. I lifted myself up a bit and reached back to see what it was. I pulled Little Joe’s slingshot out of my pocket. I sat back down and held the toy in my hand. I then noticed a few small pebbles stacked beside a pot on the porch. I picked one of the smooth stones from the pile and ran it between my fingers. I glanced around and smiled–I wonder, could my aim be as true as it once was. I placed the stone in the rubber band part of the slingshot. I then pulled back with all my might. I watched as the rock flew toward the yard. Boy was I surprised when the pebble ricocheted off the post of the porch, flew by my head and broke out a pane of glass behind me.

I stood up and headed inside. My eldest son was already standing by the new broken window. I walked over to stand beside him. He looked at me with a devilish grin on his face. "So, Pa. Are you going to take yourself to the barn?" He then chuckled out loud as I chased him into the bunkroom.

I peeked inside the room as Adam took his spot on his bed. My two youngest were both asleep on their stomachs. They had each learned a hard lesson in obedience today. Hopefully, they would not soon forget the outcome of their latest adventure.

"Goodnight, Adam." I said, as I slowly closed the door.

I then decided to head to bed myself; I went to my room and pulled back the inviting covers. Once I had laid down I almost instantly fell asleep–only to be awakened by the most horrible nightmare.

I was dreaming about my dreaded trip into town tomorrow to pick up FIVE new windowpanes!!

 

The End

Gail G.