Little Joe’s Snow Day

By Tennessee

 

Little Joe was happy. It had snowed the night before, and there was no school. And the Ponderosa was so pretty and white he could not wait to play in the snow after his chores were done. He was getting Paint out of her stall when Adam came in.

"Where are you going, little brother?"

"To play in the snow," Little Joe said.

Adam said, "The clouds are white. That means more snow to come. You better not go far."

"Ok, Adam, I won’t." Joe got on Paint and went riding. The snow was so bright it hurt his eyes to look at it. But he just went on riding, and he was having a good time.

The wind was cold and his nose was red and his hands were cold because he’d forgotten his gloves. Then it started to rain and the rain turned to snow. Snow clung to his hair and eyelashes. He knew he should go home, but he loved to be outside.

He turned Paint and started back to the Ponderosa. But he heard a gunshot, and Paint started running. Joe knew he was in trouble. He lost his way in the snow, and it was getting colder and colder.

The shot Joe had heard was Big Dan shooting a deer. He missed.

Little Joe thought someone was shooting at him, so he rode faster. He went into the woods. He stopped Paint and listened but did not hear anyone coming. "It’s ok, Paint," he comforted. He looked and looked but couldn’t figure out where he was. He knew he had to find somewhere warm. The snow was coming down harder now.

Adam was getting worried about Little Joe. He got on his horse and looked for him. He yelled, but no one answered him.

Little Joe rode until he was so cold that he couldn’t feel his arms or legs anymore. He stopped and tried to see where he was. He thought he saw a house, but as he rode closer he could see that it was just an old barn. He rode Paint into the barn and started to cry.

Adam rode and rode. He ran into Big Dan.

"No, Adam, I ain’t seen him, but I’ll help you look for him," Big Dan said.

The two searched for clues. The snow had stopped. Big Dan saw something and called Adam over. "Someone passed by here," he said. He brushed the ground, and Adam saw prints in the snow. "This way," Big Dan said, and they rode fast. They saw the old barn.

Adam yelled, "Little Joe!"

"In here!" Joe called back.

Adam rushed into the barn. "Are you ok?"

"I’m so cold, Adam. I can’t feel my arms or legs."

Big Dan rubbed Little Joe’s arms and legs until he could feel them again. "Can you ride?"

"Yes," Joe answered. And they all rode back to the Ponderosa. It started to snow again and Adam took a rope out of his saddlebags and put it around Little Joe’s horses. They had to ride slow because with all the snow they couldn’t see well.

Finally they approached the Ponderosa and saw the house. Ben and Hoss were coming out of the barn.

Adam said, "Hoss, help Little Joe into the house and take off his boots. We’ve got to get him warmed up."

Hop Sing made tea for all of them, and they ate dinner.

Little Joe said, "I’m sorry I did not listen to you, Adam."

Adam smiled. "Maybe next time you’ll listen."

Ben said, "Your brothers are older than you, son. They tell you to do things for your own good."

Joe nodded. "Yes, Pa."

Ben pointed toward Joe’s plate. "Now eat, son."

Big Dan said his goodbyes and headed back to town. Little Joe fell asleep at the table, and Adam carried him to bed.

Little Joe slept soundly that night, happy that he had a big brother like Adam.

 

The End