Little Joe's Promises

By Tennessee

 

Little Joe could not wait for school to be out. Summer would be so much fun. After he'd done his chores he could do anything he wanted, or so he thought.

On the last day of school the time went so slow he thought it would never to time to go home. When it finally was time, he was the first one out of the classroom. Hoss yelled, "Wait for me." And Joe called, "Hurry! I want to get home."

They got on their horses. "What's the hurry?" Hoss asked.

"School's out and I'm ready to have fun."

"Kids," said Hoss with superiority. He rolled his eyes.

"I'll show ya," replied Little Joe. He nudged Paint to go faster.

Hoss yelled to him. "Joe, you're going too fast. You'll fall."

"No I won't!" Just then Paint stepped on a rock and hurt his leg. Joe stopped and Hoss rode fast to catch up to him.

"What happened?"

"He stepped on a big rock back there."

Hoss looked at Paint's leg. "It'll be sore for a few days, but he'll be ok."

"I'm sorry, boy. I promise I'll watch for rocks from now on." Joe walked beside Paint the rest of the way home. Hop Sing was yelling something to him when they cam into the yard but he didn't know what he'd done.

"I'll put Paint away," said Hoss. "You better go see what Hop Sing is so mad about."

"Ok," Joe said.

"Your puppy got in my garden again!" Hop Sing yelled. "Dig big holes."

"I’m sorry, Hop Sing. I won't happen again, I promise."

As the weeks passed, Joe stopped doing his chores. Adam did his chores and Little Joe's too. One day Adam saw Joe by the lake and confronted him. "I've been doing your chores while you're off fishing. No more, Joe."

"Adam, please don't tell Pa. I'll do my chores from now on, I promise. I just needed a break."

"You'd better."

"I will."

Hoss had been hauling water, a job that was supposed to be Little Joe's. He didn't mind doing it until he overhead Joe tell his friends, "I don't have to haul water no more because Hoss gets it now. He does whatever I say."

"Oh really?" said Hoss.

"Uh, hi brother. I didn't see you there."

"I know," Hoss said, his voice getting louder. "I won't be doing your chores anymore, little brother. You get the water yourself from now on."

"OK, Hoss. I'm sorry. I promise I'll get the water from now on."

"OK then."

For a few days Joe kept his promises but soon his puppy was in the garden again, his chores were left undone, and the water pail was low. His brothers didn't cover for him. He needed to learn in order to grow up to be a responsible adult. Hop Sing went to get some water and found the pail empty. Ben came in and asked what was wrong.

"There's no water in the pail."

"Where's Joseph?"

"I don't know but his dog has been in my garden again."

Ben was getting mad. "Did you tell Joe?"

"I told him the other day. He promised to keep the dog out of my garden."

Adam and Hoss came in and Ben asked them where Little Joe was.

"I guess he's fishing," said Hoss. "He's been doing that a lot lately."

Adam said, "Pa, Hoss and I have been covering for him. He hasn't been doing his chores."

Ben said, "You boys shouldn't need to do each other's chores. We've talked about this before."

"We know, Pa."

"Don't do his chores for him anymore. Unless he's sick or hurt, is that clear?"

"Yes, Pa," they both said.

"We talked to him about this before, Pa," said Hoss. "He promised to get his chores done but he ain't done it."

Ben calmed himself down before getting on his horse and riding to the lake where he found Little Joe fishing. Little Joe didn't see Ben until he was right next to him.

"Joseph, we need to talk, son."

Little Joe jumped up. "Uh, what did I do, Pa?"

"It's not what you did but what you didn't do. Your brothers have been doing your chores for you. You've been fishing and having fun with your friends and neglecting your responsibilities. Your puppy was in Hop Sing's garden again."

"But it's summer, Pa."

"I know. But chores come first. You made promises to your brothers and Hop Sing that you didn't keep. When you give your word, you keep it, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Now you need to get home and get your chores done. And I will be giving you extra chores for the next three weeks. And no fishing for one week."

Joe hung his head. "Yes, Pa."

"Let's go home now, son."

On the way home Little Joe said, "I'm sorry, Pa."

"You need to apologize to your brothers and Hop Sing. You made them promises that you didn't keep."

When they got home Ben told Joe to go into the house. Adam and Hoss were at the table drinking tea Hop Sing had prepared. Hop Sing was working on making dinner.

Little Joe stood in front of them. "Uh, Adam, Hoss, Hop Sing, I want you to know I'm sorry about not keeping my promises. I will make sure I do from now on."

"We forgive ya," Hoss said.

"Now you'd better go get your chores done, Joseph," Ben said. "Come back in when you're done and I'll give you your extra chores."

Little Joe worked hard on his chores. Then Ben gave him extra chores to do. Joe was tired that night and went to bed early. He got up at the same time as his brothers the next morning and did his own chores and some of his brothers' chores too. When Ben got up he asked where Joe had gone.

"Look out the window," Hoss said.

Outside Joe was building a pen for his puppy so the puppy couldn't get in Hop Sing's garden anymore. Little Joe got a pail of water on his way back to the house.

"Good morning, son," Ben said.

"Oh, hi Pa. I thought your were still asleep."

Ben smiled.

"I got up early so I could get my chores done. And I'll do all the extra chores you gave me. I made a pen for Scout to stay in when I can't watch him. Hop Sing, I filled in the holes he made in your garden and I'll help you replant."

Adam and Hoss looked at each other across the table, surprised at their little brother.

Little Joe fell asleep at the table that night. Hoss put him to bed. Adam said, "Pa, he sure worked hard today. Whatever you said to him, it must have worked."

"I know, son. He needs to learn about responsibility. I can't let him off the hook. He has a couple more weeks of hard work ahead of him."

"You're right, Pa. It's just hard to see him so worn out."

"I know, son. It's hard on me too."

Hoss said, "He sure is sound asleep."

For a week Little Joe did all of his chores and extra chores as well. Then Ben asked him one day if he'd like to go fishing. Little Joe ran to get his fishing pole and bait and he and Pa had a great time that day.

Little Joe did extra chores for three weeks. Ben was so proud of him. One day Joe sat next to Pa on the settee. "I understand what you told me about doing my chores, Pa. And keeping promises. I'll keep my promises from now on."

Ben said, "I'm proud of you, son. You did everything I asked. You did your chores and the extra ones. You helped your brothers. You made that pen for your puppy so he wouldn't get in the garden anymore. And you helped Hop Sing in the garden to. You see, son, when a person gives his word he needs to keep it."

"I know, Pa. And I'm gonna from now on."

Ben smiled and hugged Joe tightly. He knew Little Joe had learned to keep his promises.

 

The End