Little Joe, Home Alone

By Tennessee

 

Little Joe loved the Ponderosa, and he loved to help with the horses and cattle. He went for long rides on Paint and played with his puppy whenever he had the chance. Little Joe didn't like school at all, but Pa said he had to go to school every day during the week.

One day Hoss had to stay home from school to help at the ranch, but Little Joe had to go. Little Joe came up with a plan. He knew his pa, Adam, Hoss, and Hop Sing were going to work with the cattle in a far pasture all day, so he would act like he was heading off to school and then he'd hide in the woods not far from the house and then circle back to the Ponderosa and have a free day all to himself.

So the next day he left right on time, and everyone saw him leave. He rode Paint to the woods and watched his family head west. When he saw they were coming near his hiding spot, he slipped behind a tree and waited. No one noticed him. He rode Paint back home.

Little Joe sat on the floor and played fetch with his puppy. He ate dinner and even looked at a picture book. He then wrote a letter to his aunt in New Orleans and went outside and ran around the yard with his puppy. The day went slowly and at about one o'clock he heard something outside. He went to the door and saw several animals moving across the meadow: rabbits, squirrels, deer, and birds. They were moving fast.

Then he saw the smoke and heard a popping sound. He saw the fire. Suddenly he wished his pa and brothers were there with him. He grabbed his puppy and hopped on Paint and rode to the lake. The fire was in the woods where he'd hidden early, but it was hard to see exactly where the flames were because of all the smoke.

Little Joe thought about the horses in the field and in the barn and ran back to the house and set the animals free. The horses ran like the wind for the hills.

 

In the west meadow Hoss looked up and saw the smoke. "Pa, look!"

Ben looked up and Adam turned to look also.

Adam said, "Somebody's got a pretty big fire going somewhere." He then saw the animals scurrying out of the woods.

Hop Sing said, "Mr. Cartwright, look!" Huge clouds of black smoke rose from the trees.

"Maybe you boys should go check it out," Ben said. "It could be a forest fire."

Adam and Hoss got on their horses and took off. They made if halfway into the woods when they caught sight of flames. Adam said, "Hoss, go get Pa."

Hoss turned his horse around and rode as fast as he could to where Ben and Hop Sing waited. Adam took a shortcut to get ahead of the fire. When he reached the lake he saw Paint and Little Joe's dog. He yelled for Little Joe. Joe, of course, didn't hear him because he was back at the ranch making sure all the horses escaped the fire, but the smoke was so thick that Adam couldn't tell if his little brother was nearby or not.

Adam jumped to the ground and waded into the lake. He got wet all over, including his hat. He jumped back on his horse. He couldn't see a foot in front of him, but he knew he had to get home.

 

Little Joe knew he was in trouble. He couldn't see anything. He yelled for help but within a minute he had passed out from the smoke.

 

Hoss reached ben and Hop Sing. "There's a big fire, Pa!" he yelled. "Fire in the woods."

Ben turned to the cook. "Hop Sing, go to town and tell them we'll need as many people as possible to fight a fire near the Ponderosa. Hurry."

Ben and Hoss rode as fast as they could. The smoke was so bad that they had to wrap cloths around their nose and mouth.

 

When Adam reached the Ponderosa he did not see Little Joe anywhere. He looked in the house and yelled his little brother's name. He ran outside and around the barn. "Little Joe! Joe, where are you?"

He walked into the barn and saw something in the far corner. He ran toward it to see what it was. "Little Joe, it's Adam." He picked up the boy. Adam carried Little Joe to the house and got some water for him to drink. He washed Little Joe's face and hands.

When Joe opened his eyes, he asked, "Where am I?"

"On the Ponderosa, little brother. I thought you went to school."

Joe hung his head. "I didn't go. I wanted you to think I did, but then I came back. I wanted to spend a day home alone."

 

Ben and Hoss got water from the lake and started fighting the fire. All the townspeople came to help. It took them hours to put out the fire. The woods were scorched and looked sad and dead. Ben thanked all his friends for their help. "I'm glad Little Joe was in school when all this happened."

Hop Sing looked at him. "Ah, Mr. Cartwright, I went to the school while I was in town to tell Little Joe what was happening. Little Joe did not go to school today."

Ben blinked slowly at him. "We saw him leave. Where'd he go then?

Hoss put in. "We ain't seen Adam lately either.

Ben was worried now. "Where are they? Let's go home and see if they're there."

 

Back at the ranch, Little Joe asked, "Adam, will the fire burn down the house?"

Adam smiled. "I don't know, little brother. But I've been watching the wind and the flames shouldn't be coming this way. There's no escaping all the smoke, though."

Joe's eyes were wide. "I'm sorry I lied and stayed home. Paint and my puppy . . . I don't know where they are."

"They're at the lake," Adam said. "They'll be fine."

 

Indeed Ben and the others saw Little Joe's animals. They yelled for Little Joe but received no response. They decided to ride for the house.

When they reached the Ponderosa they saw Adam's horse. Ben yelled, "Adam!" and he ran to the door. Ben opened the door and saw his two sons. He walked quickly to them. "Are you two all right?"

They said they were.

Hoss said, "We got the fire out. We'll have to plant some new trees."

"We will, son," Ben assured.

"Pa," Little Joe said, "I'm sorry. I stayed home today. I hid and then I came home."

Ben bent down so he was eye to eye with his youngest son. "Joseph, if that fire had reached the Ponderosa, do you know what could have happened? And no one knew you were here alone. We could have lost you." He had tears in his eyes.

Little Joe nodded slightly. "I know, Pa. But it was good that I was here 'cause I let all the horses out of the close pasture and the barn."

Ben put a hand on his son's shoulder. "We could replace the horses, Little Joe. But we could not replace you."

Adam and Hoss had to blink back some tears of their own. Ben said, "I want all of you to listen to me and listen good. I love the Ponderosa, but you boys are my life. I love all of you very much."

Joe nodded and took a step back. "Am I in trouble, Pa?"

Ben held out his right arm. "Come here, son. Do you think you should be in trouble?"

Joe shuffled his feet and nodded reluctantly. "Yeah, I should probably be in trouble for telling you a lie and staying home."

"Joseph," Ben said in a stern voice, "if you will promise not to do this again, then you are not in trouble. But if you lie to me and your brothers again, you will not be able to sit down for a day of two, do I make myself clear, son?"

"Yes, Pa."

"Now let's round up all our horses and get them home."

They found the horses and moved them back to the barn. The whole town helped clean up the woods and plant new trees. Little Joe told his story at school and the teacher asked him to write the story down.

One night, Little Joe said, "I will never stay on the Ponderosa alone for a long time."

Ben said, "You'll be able to stay here alone when you're older, son."

Joe smiled. They all went to bed that night happy that everyone was safe and sound.

 

The End