JACK’S SON

A Ponderosa FanFic written by Chris Freeburn

 

Rating: PG (mild violence and language)

Disclaimer: All characters are owned and belong to the creators of Bonanza and the Ponderosa...I'm just borrowing them for a story to share with friends this is not written for profit.

 

"Why can’t I ride Paint?" Joe asked. He squirmed on the hard wooden bench of the buckboard, his mouth pulling into a pout. "Pa, I'm sore sitting here. If I was riding Paint to town my backside wouldn't hurt." Yesterday, he had to ride with Adam around the Pondersa for hours collecting strays that scattered during a thunderstorm. For some reason, Pa wouldn't let him stay at home alone...or ride Paint then.

Pa turned and looked at him sympathetically, reaching out his strong hand ruffled the curls on top of Joe's head. "I understand how you feel son, but sometimes you're safer with one of us."

Joe wanted to argue he’d never fallen off Paint. He wouldn’t get hurt on his horse. Of course, remember-it-all Adam would remind Pa of the horrible fall he had helping to break the horses for the Army. Mentioning that that horse wasn't Paint, hadn't worked before and he knew it wouldn't work now. Joe let out a sad moan. Pa's face was set with a small frown; even the corners of his eyes seemed to pull down.

"Sure ain't too relaxing sitting here," Hoss said, trying to make his little brother feel better.

Adam removed his black hat and struck Hoss in the back of the head with it. "What's that for?" Hoss snapped, rubbing his head out of annoyance.

Joe's hopefully face was turned up to his big brother, a bright smile filled his face and green eyes shining. "I'll switch with you!" Joe attempted to rise but the hand his Pa pressed onto his leg kept him sitting.

Adam swatted Hoss with his hat again. Hoss nodded. Sometimes saying something to make Joe feel better just landed up making Joe get in trouble and himself feeling bad. Gosh dang it, couldn't Adam see that the little guy just wanted to be one of the men of the family, not just a little boy. "I guess that's up to Pa," Hoss muttered.

"What?" Adam leaned toward him.

"Nothing." Sometimes that bigger brother of mine is just too plum nosy.

"I ain't a baby!" Little Joe announced.

Adam rolled his eyes. Hopefully one day Hoss would learn to leave well enough alone. Joe was still tired from yesterday and would not be comfortable on the horse. Plus, he was too young to be riding a horse into town. Who knew what would trouble the scamp would find if he could ride around as he pleased.

Ben smiled, hoping it did not echoed the sadness in his heart. "I know you're not son." Joe was growing up and soon Ben couldn't protect him. Ben let out a deep sigh.

Little Joe's head snapped in the direction of his Pa. He studied his profile then began chewing on his lower lip. Something was wrong with Pa. It couldn't be him because he hadn't done anything wrong. Or had he? This morning Pa wouldn't even let him sit in the back, said it was safer up front. Heck, Pa used to always let him sit back there before, matter-of-fact there hadn't been room up front to sit with Pa. Ma had sat there.

Little Joe sucked in his breath. Ben turned worried eyes to his youngest child. "You okay, Little Joe?" His youngest child just nodded, his vivid eyes filling with tears. Ben placed both reins in one hand and draped his other arm around Joe. He pulled the boy close to his side. "What's wrong?" He didn't have to lean toward Joe to hear his response as his two oldest quit whatever squabble they were having. He smiled tenderly at them. His boys always had a sense when one was in trouble, especially if it was Joe. Hoss and Adam exchanged worried glances and drew their horses near, Ben knew just in case their baby brother needed them.

"Just sore," Joe said, snuggling into Pa’s side. He gazed up at Ben and smiled happily. "This feels better." Ben rested his head on top of Joe's for a moment. He laughed then straightened. "Glad to know I can help."

Joe smiled contently. Pa didn't think he wasn’t big enough; he was lonely. Missing ma. Pa didn't want to sit by himself; he needed Joe. Joe was happy he could help.

The town came into view and Joe sat up straight. His legs began to twitch, a need to move, to walk, to run screamed from them. "Stop here, Pa." His pa kept driving the team. "Stop here, Pa." Pa didn't hear. "Pa, stop here!" Pa finally stopped near the Aunt Ruth's and Uncle Eli's store. Joe jumped down.

A loud shout came from down the street where Jack Wolf's...place was. Little Joe wasn't sure exactly what it was because it seemed everyone in town had a different name for it, hotel, saloon, bar, house of evil women, where the loose women were. The only thing everyone agreed on was that it was Jack Wolf's place.

"You owe us..." A man walked backwards his hands clenched at his side.

"You're getting what I owe you!" Jack yelled, tossing a tan cowboy hat at the man.

"You won't get away with this!" A cowboy screamed as he was pushed out the door by one of the big men that worked for Jack.

"And just what are you going to do about it!" Jack's hand rested on the handle of his pistol.

Joe couldn't tear his eyes from the scene even though his heart thumped hard in his chest. He bit his lip, trying to quiet his breathing. A shadow fell over him and then he couldn't see anything except the shirt of his biggest brother. Little Joe fumed. I'm not a baby. He stepped close enough to Hoss that he could press his face against his brother's back. I can take care of myself, Joe argued silently. He felt Hoss' arm press against his shoulder and the large hand rubbed his back. Well, he'd stay put since Hoss needed him.

The two men started walked backwards, not looking away from Jack and not looking at the four Cartwrights they were heading toward.

Ben spun around to the last place he knew his baby had been, reaching out to grab Joe. The arms he snagged were rounder than Joe's and there was no way he could toss this boy of under the buckboard.

"I should have known," Ben thought, smiling a thanks at Hoss that his middle son didn't see. His eyes were glued on the men approaching, the blue eyes narrowed. If those men thought Jack Wolf was trouble they were in for a shock if they dared to even put Little Joe in harm's way.

"You'll be sorry for this, Wolf," the cowboy said.

"Since I have the gun..." Jack taunted.

Just let them go Jack; just let them go, Ben pleaded. He wanted to yell his instructions at Jack but doing so would draw attention to his children. He couldn't do that.

The men kept approaching. Ben stepped in front of his son, nudging Hoss gently in the stomach with his elbow. Hoss understood and took a step back.

Joe felt Hoss stepping back and knew he had two choices; get his toes squished or go backwards. He decided to go backwards. He peered around Hoss' body and saw the street was almost deserted. Only a few men readying to pull pistols were about. Little Joe knew bad situations either caused total quiet or a lot of screaming. And there was no noise. I have to be brave; I have to be brave.

Hoss took another step back and Joe followed his example.

"You wouldn't want one of these innocent folks to get killed?"

Ben tensed. He pressed a hand against Hoss' arm, ready to push him to the ground.

"If you feel like dying today, Harris, I got good aim," Jack responded.

A shuddered rippled through Joe's body. Joe pressed his lips together to keep in the sounds his voice wanted to make.

Adam had slowly walked around the buckboard to be on the same side with his brothers. He had crept one step at a time until he was close enough to reach his baby brother with the tips of his fingers. A small whimper from Joe squeezed his heart painfully and caused a consuming anger to rise up from the pit of his stomach. How dare anyone frighten a child...their child.

Adam saw his father reach out and press a hand against Hoss' shoulder. Hoss' hand that had tried to soothe Little Joe now griped the child's shirt tightly. Adam tapped Hoss' hand three times. The grip loosened and Adam drew the shuddering body of his youngest brother toward him. He kneeled down on one knee. Resting his hand on Joe's head, Adam stroked the curls in an attempt to calm and pressed Joe’s head against his shoulder. He wouldn’t let Little Joe witness the violence that would erupt.

"Big brother's here." Adam whispered, his eyes focused on the shadows of the two men. "I got you buddy." Joe nodded into his shoulder.

"Well," one man choked out. "The law will make you pay us those wages."

"Yeah," his partner helped.

"The law will agree with me. You drank those wages."

"I ain't no drunk! Neither is my brother."

"Don't have to be a drunk to drink a man’s whiskey."

"Come on," the shorter of the two men said. "We can't do any good this way."

"You're right," the cowboy slapped the hat Jack threw at him on his thigh. He placed the hat on his head. "Talk won't change his mind. Don't prove we didn't do it."

The two men walked carefully back toward Jack's place and untied their horses. They looked over toward Ben and tipped their hats. "Sorry, Sir, didn't mean to cause you any worry." They turned their horses and began the journey out of town.

Ben breathed a loud sigh of relief that swiftly turned to anger. "Jack, what were you thinking!"

"They stole from me, Ben. Nobody should have to put up with someone taking what is rightfully theirs."

"It was whisky, Jack. Lives are worth more than whiskey. Damn it, you were talking them into a fight." Ben hands were clenched into fists and he stepped menacingly toward Jack.

Joe gasped. He made Pa mad plenty of times but never made him curse. He raised his head from Adams shoulder as a grin spread across his face. Pa was going to give it good to old Jack.

"Um...Pa," Adam said. He saw his Pa look at him. Adam stood up, his arms still wrapped around the youngest Cartwright. Adam smiled then cast his gaze on Joe.

"If you're going to start a fight, Jack, keep it inside your place."

"I don’t mind your business, Ben." Jack titled his hat at Adam and Hoss. "If you still worked here maybe heads would’ve stayed cooler." Jack walked back into the hotel

"By dunking you in the horse trough." Hoss said.

Ben frowned at his middle son but couldn’t stop the light dancing in his eyes. He wished he could’ve seen Hoss do that. Jack was bound to get someone in trouble or hurt one of these days.

Sounds of town life resuming erupted around the Cartwrights. Joe watched the boys come back outside to play a game of marbles in the dirt between Miss Shelby’s and Uncle Eli’s store.

"Can I go, Pa?" Joe asked, trying to maneuver from Adam’s grasp. It was safe now, why wouldn’t Adam let him go.

"Wait a minute, young man." Ben planted his hands firmly on his hips.

"I just want to play with them," Joe pleaded, pointing to the group of boys his age.

"Joseph..." Ben began.

Joe could stop the groan from coming out of his mouth but not in his head. The town lecture. Did Pa really think he needed to hear it every time? "Pa I know."

"You know what?"

Joe’s shoulders slumped. "No peeking in Jack Wolf's window, no causing trouble, don't move the wagon..."

Adam cleared his throat.

"Don't move Adam and Hoss' horse."

Ben smiled, his body relaxing. He couldn't help the amusement that filled his spirit with Little Joe. The child could find a way to mischief standing still in a church. "And?"

"Don't venture too far, and come when I'm called." Joe said, the last with his eyes focused on Adam. Apparently there were times his oldest brother didn't like to play hide and seek.

"Next time I'll leave you here." Adam declared looking down into Joe’s eyes. "Understand."

"Pa wouldn't..." Joe saw Pa and Hoss shake their head.

"Yes, Adam. I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you." Visions of searching through town to find Adam filled his head. Calling and calling for his brother but no answer, no hint of what happened to him; two men standing in the street threatening to kill. Joe wrapped his arms around himself to stop the shiver.

Adam saw the small shiver and fear taking residence in his baby brother's eyes. Adam pulled him into a quick hug. "Forgiven. I don't want you to think about it anymore. "

"Okay." Joe grinned at Adam.

"Adam and Hoss are going to stop in the livery," Ben said. "I'll be at Eli's then at the town hall for the meeting."

Joe was dancing from foot to foot as Pa told him where everyone would be. "Okay, Pa, thanks. I'll be easy to find." Joe scampered away to join the boys.

Ben smiled at the retreating form of his youngest. He hoped Joe didn't get into too much trouble in town, he knew it'd be too much too ask for Joe not to get into any trouble.

"After I'm done at the livery, Pa, I can come to the meeting with you," Adam offered eagerly.

"We can't leave Joe unattended for that long."

"Gosh, Pa, I can keep an eye on little brother. Adam here can go to the meetin'. I don't wanna!" Hoss blushed. "I don't mean it like that, Sir."

Ben grinned at his middle son. "I know son. That sounds fine. Adam, I'd love to have you accompany me."

Adam's smile broadened. "Great Pa. Hurry up Hoss. Let's get business taken care of."

Little Joe was waiting for the game of marbles to end so he could take part in the next one when a girl's scream sounded from across the street. Joe looked around, his eyes filled with fear. Where was his Pa and brothers? He remembered the last time people were screaming, tears pooled in his eyes. It was when the bomb went off. When his Ma died. What if those guys came back, kept their promise?

"Let's go see." The oldest boy playing said. He scooped up the marbles and ran in the direction of the girl screaming. Joe didn't want to go, he didn't want to know. But he didn't want to alone either. He followed them.

The boys stopped in front of the woman. She was stamping her feet and screeching. "A mouse. Get it! Get it!"

The boys started to join in the laughter of the two men standing near the lady. Joe let out a deep sigh, angry that the lady was making such a fuss about a mouse. He had thought something was really wrong.

"There's another one!" She held her skirt up high in her hands, feet dancing around the two small critters. "Another one!"

Joe pulled his hat from his head and scrambled around on the ground near the lady's feet. He cupped his hands over one of the mice and gently scooped it up and placed it in his hat. Joe avoided getting stepped on and grabbed hold the last white rodent, reuniting it with its friend. Joe smiled at the lady. "Don't worry, Ma'am. I got them and will take them away."

The lady took in a deep shuddering breath. She bestowed a smile worthy of a gallant hero onto the boy. "What a fine young man you are." She tousled the curls on top of his head and kissed his check softly.

Little Joe blushed and wiped away the moisture from his cheek as the lady turned. She raised her head high, let out a small noise of disgust and with a flounce of her skirt walked over to the General Store. Little Joe sure hoped Pa was still in there and the lady mentioned the "fine young man" who helped her. Yep, that should earn some gumdrops.

Joe grinned down at the two white rodents trying to nibble an escape path from his hat. Or out of a little mischief.

"You fellas want to go have some fun?" Joe asked, grinning at the mice in his hat. Joe took their squeaks as yes. "I know you don't wanna live in my hat." And Pa wouldn't want them to. So being a "fine young man", he'd find them a new home.

A broad smile lighting his face, Joe looked around at the different "homes" lining the main street of Eagle Station. Uncle Eli's store was out of the question. He wouldn't want to scare Aunt Ruth, and Pa wouldn't find anything a bit funny about letting them go in there. Especially if he was inside, along with the lady Joe rescued. Nope, Joe figured, he wouldn't be the boy who helped a lady in distress and earned some understanding. He'd just be itching for a tanning as Adam liked to declare to Pa about his behavior. He sure wasn't itching for one, just a little fun. His green eyes fell on the livery. He couldn't do that to the little mice. The horses would probably crush them and if Adam was still there, he'd be crushed.

Shelby's? Now there was a possibility. The men shouldn't be too scared of little mice, and Shelby wouldn't be either. But she might stomp on them too...and not on accident plus Shelby would tan him if she caught him. And Pa would be upset that he could've ruined Shelby's business. It was pretty much known all around town that Jack's place had stole alot of Shelby's customers.

Jack's place! "Hey, fellas, I bet you'd like a hotel. There's food, drink and painted ladies to scare. Fun for the three of us." And how mad could Pa get? He really didn't like Jack and no one else did either. For that matter, a lot of people in town would be down right pleased. And Jack Wolf deserved it. Joe's hand clenched the sides of his hat tightly. Jack had put his Pa and brothers in danger by picking on those guys. Once a guy got whopped he should be left alone. Not teased about it. Nope, that just wasn't right at all. And then all those ladies, Joe reminded himself. They didn't want to be there, Jack made them. Adam and Hoss tried to help that lady that didn’t want to work there but they couldn't save her. But Joe could. Him and Squeal and Squeak. Yep, they would rescue those old gals.

Joe lifted the hat up to his face. "Here's the plan. You go find some lady and run around her feet, she'll scream and dance and then you run around like crazy. Jack will chase after you with some men and those ladies can run out of there. Got it?" The mice in his hat squeaked. He grinned at them and petted their tiny heads. 'I knew you'd agree. Let's go use the window that's cracked open."

Joe slowly and casually walked across the street to Jack's place. He looked around and saw no one watching him. And Adam wasn't anywhere to be seen. Hoss he wouldn’t mind spotting him, Hoss would help. Joe tiptoed around the corner, he knew the window in the back near where the card playing went on was opened a bit to let out some of the cigar smoke. It would be perfect for his friends to enter into their new home. Joe squatted down by the window and reached into his hat to lift out a mouse.

"I wouldn't do that, son." A voice commanded.

Joe squeezed his eyes shut and slowly turned his head to the right. He squinted at the figure leaning against the wall, a cigar hanging from the corner of his mouth.

"Bringing me some extra customers?" Jack asked, one eyebrow raised. He couldn't wait to hear the explanation the youngest Cartwright would give him.

"No," Joe answered.

"Oh," Jack drew the cigar from his mouth and examined the tip. He smiled slowly at Joe. "Entertainment purposes?"

Joe couldn't help grinning at Jack Wolf. "Kind of...Sir."

"Exactly how many you got in that hat of yours?" Jack asked walking toward him.

"Two." Joe wanted to run, but Jack was bigger and would catch him. And a chase would make him madder. One thing Joe knew, it wasn't good to make Jack Wolf madder.

Jack crushed the cigar under his boot. "May I?" He held out his hands.

With a pained sigh, Joe handed his hat to Jack. He wondered what he was going to do, bring the hat to Pa and tell him what he’d been planning on doing, hopefully Pa would find it a little funny. Or was he gonna squish them! Joe's mouth pulled down into a frown, his breathing became loud as he clenched his hands into fists. "You better not hurt them."

Jack's eyes opened in surprise. The kid in front of him stood readying for a fight, green eyes glaring at him...ready to defend two rodents. Jack grinned. The boy had spunk, a fighting spirit. He admired that. And a high tuned sense of mischief, which amused him. It gave him great pleasure to know that Ben Cartwright had one hot-tempered, live wire to keep under control. Jack handed the hat back to the boy. He was going to enjoy seeing the kid add gray hairs to Ben's head. "I know for certain, Shelby needs some more customers."

"Since you took her other ones why not these?" Joe smarted before he thought through how it would sound to Jack.

Jack laughed and ruffled Little Joe's hair. "Son, get out of here with them before I decide to swat that seat of yours."

Joe wanted to yell at Jack that he wouldn't dare, that his Pa wouldn't be happy if did that but since Jack seemed to find the mice plan kind of funny it was best to leave. "Yes, Sir."

Laughing, Jack used the back door to enter back into the hotel.

"Now what am I going to do with you?" Joe's nose wrinkled as he thought of a new plan. A hand clamped onto his shoulder and Joe looked up expecting to see a displeased older brother, what he saw caused him to try and swallow the fear wallowing from up in his throat.

"Hello there kid," the cowboy said his voice calm and nice.

"I...I...I have to go." Joe tried to pull away but the grip tightened. Little Joe tried to scream but a hand covered his mouth and he was lifted from the ground. Joe continued to scream even though the sounds were muffled. He kicked his legs and twisted his body. His fright filled eyes searched for someone that could help him.

"Keep still, kid," the cowboy whispered. "You're gonna get hurt."

"You're gonna get hurt either way." A voice said in Joe's head. His eyes filled with tears and he twisted, kicked, and arched his back harder. His legs tangled with the man's. A cursed erupted as they both began to fall. Joe felt his body being released and he started to scream when a hard object hit the side of his head. "Pa," Joe whimpered once before the darkness came.

*****

Hoss sat on the steps of the livery flirting with Tess. He smiled at her again, and she smiled back and then leaned forward. Hoss stood up. "I best be goin." He noticed he was flirting more with Tess than she was with him. And it had been long enough for Little Joe to find away toward a heap of trouble.

Tess looked at him. "Say hi to Joe for me."

Hoss grinned at her and tipped his hat. He started down the street, heading toward the area the boys were playing at. Hopefully Joe was tired of them and ready to find a way for both of them to have fun. Joe could come up some good ideas. He looked over the boys...not one of them was Joe. He should've known it wouldn't be that easy to catch up with his little brother. "Where did Joe go?" Hoss put his hands on his hips and turned around slowly in a circle, scanning Eagle Station.

"Don't know. Some lady started screaming, we went and looked. She was upset about some dumb mouses and Joe caught them. " The boy looked up from the marbles. "Haven't seen him since."

Hoss groaned. Great Joe set loose around town by himself, with some mice. His butt started hurting. He knew for some reason whatever his brother was planning would get them both in trouble. Or if Joe hadn't done nothing yet, Hoss grinned, they could have some fun with old Adam tonight.

"Hey Joe!" Hoss shouted. "Pa gave me some money for treats." No Joe, no giggle, no one pointing out where he was. "Hey Joe! Come on out."

Hoss peeked into the General Store. "Eli, you seen Joe around."

Eli smiled. "I have not, Hoss. If I do I'll keep him for you."

"Thanks," Hoss grinned and continued his search. He looked over at Jack's place. Well, Joe wasn’t peering in the windows over there. Maybe he was still tired from yesterday and decided to take a nap in the buckboard. Hoss jogged over to their buckboard, which was where they left it. No Joe.

"Joe, come here!" Hoss stomped down the street, peering under and in hiding places and calling for the scamp of his brother. "Remember what Pa said." Hoss groaned and smacked his forehead. Pa had reminded Joe not to hide from Adam, nothing about not hiding from Hoss. That young ‘un could find a hole in a wall. That left one solution, get Adam to help search. Joe wouldn't disobey Pa's orders...or Adam. Little Joe learned already how little Adam liked the game of hide and seek. Hoss walked quickly over to the Town Hall. He paused with his hand on the door. He forgot one thing…if he got Adam, Pa would know he couldn't find Joe.

"Forgot if you're coming or leaving?" Jack Wolf asked, amusement lacing his words.

"Huh?"

Jack pointed at Hoss' hand on the door. "Are you going in or are you employed as a butler."

"Just thinking." Hoss muttered as Mr. Garrison ran up to the Town Hall.

"Jack, this came for you," Mr. Garrision said, holding out an envelope to Jack.

Jack looked at it then Mr. Garrison suspiciously. Mr. Garrison swallowed hard. "Some man said he needed to get it to you. You'd be expecting it."

A slow satisfied smile spread on Jack’s face. With a nod and a tip of his hat, Jack took the envelope. He pointed it toward Hoss. "When people respect you they pay on time."

Hoss made sure he kept his mouth closed. He had a strong feeling the money was given more in fear...and not even be truly owed to Jack. But as his Pa would say, Jack's business was his to run as he see fit. It was their responsibility to stay out of it.

"I think your son is lost," Jack announced entering into the room with an air of importance.

"What?" Ben started to stand, alarm spreading across his face.

Adam glanced over his shoulder and saw the sheepish grin on Hoss' face and then a pleading look filling his blue eyes. "No lost son, just a disobedient one." Adam said, picking up his black hat from the table.

Jack gestured toward Hoss. "I was talking about that one. Seemed he didn't know if he wanted to come in or not."

Ben sighed deeply and sat back down. "Which relates to my youngest son...correct?"

Hoss nodded. "I'm just not as good as Adam at seeking." Hoss grinned at his Pa.

Pa rolled his eyes at waved at them to go.

Jack leaned back in the chair and titled his neck to look Adam in the eyes. "Look for places good for mice."

Ben groaned. Adam opened his mouth to ask a question. "On second thought, I don't want to know."

Jack laughed. "Ah...the kid just has alot of spirit." He straightened his chair and leaned on the table. "Though, for you Cartwrights he's probably hard to tame."

Ben looked squarely in Jack's eyes. "I don't tame my boys, I raise them."

Adam and Hoss hurried from the room before they started laughing. "Pa sure knows how to handle, Jack." Adam smiled.

"Better than we are with Little Joe," Hoss kicked a stone in the road. He titled his hat up and squinted his eyes as he gazed around the town. Where exactly would a 12-year-old magnet for trouble go...and with mice. "Where do you suggest we start, older brother?"

"I'll check around Shelby's...you try the livery."

"Will do," Hoss grinned, his mood improving. Between him and Adam they'd have that boy in their hands in no time and then into a water trough.

"Little Joe," Hoss called walking into the livery. "Little Joe?"

"He ain't in here," Big Dan said, sticking his head around one of the stalls. "Ain't seen the boy around. Matter-of-fact, town has been awfully quiet." Dan grinned. "Sure your Pa doesn't have a hold of him."

"Yep."

"Good luck in finding him and soon." Dan gave a big grin.

This wasn't going to be good. If Joe was this quiet it was because whatever he did or was going to do would really stretch Pa's patience and warm Joe's backside real good. "I hope Adam has better luck."

Adam moved stealthily around the front of Shelby's to the side. He peeked around the corner positive he’d see his youngest brother in mischief making. Adam wasn't sure if he was more disappointed or happy that Joe wasn't there. "He could be around back," Adam whispered.

Adam began a slow, quiet walk to the back of Shelby's place. Before he could turn the corner, he felt a presence behind him. He looked over his shoulder and saw Shelby following him.

"Did you catch him? Shelby whispered around her ever-present cigar

"No," Adam answered in a confused whisper. "What about the meeting?"

"Hard to pay attention after hearing of a boy with mice told to let them loose in your establishment."

"Jack told you that."

Shelby smiled, delight shining in her dark eyes. "Yep, caught Little Joe trying to place them in his place."

Adam chuckled. "And Jack thought they like yours better."

Shelby nodded. "But I think more was said. Jack left part of the story out."

Adam shook his head in disbelief. He didn't know how Joe thought of his plans and was always prepared to pull a major prank. "It's probably best for Joe's backside Jack kept quiet in front of Pa."

Shelby punched his shoulder lightly. "Well, is he there?"

Adam grinned and took in a deep breath. He jumped around the corner and yelled, "Caught you!"

No Joe. Now who else could that kid be trying to prank? Maybe Hoss found him.

"Hoss probably nabbed him."

"Think so?"

"He wouldn't pull a stunt like that at Eli's and Ruth's..."

Shelby let out a loud laugh and slapped her thighs. "But he would at the Town Hall."

"With Pa there...."

"If Hoss is with him."

Adam’s shoulders slumped. What had he been thinking, sending Hoss after Joe. After a Joe with mice. If that scamp could talk anyone into doing the actual letting go of the mice it would be Hoss. Not just because of his love for animals but because Hoss never could resist the infectious giggle, the bright green eyes and the hero worship in Little Joe's eyes. Adam's mouth pulled down slightly, especially since their Ma's death. "Let's go find Hoss."

"He'll be easier to spot," Shelby agreed.

"Hoss, Little Joe. Hoss, Joe. Oh Joseph," Adam called.

Hoss ran over to him. "You ain't find him neither." Hoss leaned over to gather more air into his lungs.

"He ain't with you?" Shelby asked.

"Nope."

"I'll look behind the Hall," she said, running over to it.

Adam smiled. "Why do I have a feeling she wants to persuade Joe to release them into Jack's Hotel."

Hoss grinned. "Don't know big brother, not very trusting are you."

"Lets go find him, before Pa comes tearing out to find and tan him."

"Little Joe..." Adam shouted. "The game is over. We aren't seeking...we're trying to save your ornery hide."

"Little Joe, come on."

Ben sat at the table, a breath of frustration sounding across the room. Jack laughed and began to open his mail. Ben could hear Hoss and Adam still calling for their youngest brother. That boy was going to have a hard time sitting comfortably anywhere. Ben heard the slight rustling by the windows behind the table.

Eli smiled, amusement and love filled his eyes. "I think we found him," Eli whispered.

Ben chuckled softly and the thoughts of tanning Little Joe vanishing. Ben would never get to old for harmless pranks, especially when they brought pleasure to his friend. Of course, it was easy to be amused by the antics of your friend's child. Then again, Joseph’s charm warmed him to many in Eagle Station.

Jack let out a snort of laughter and read the letter. Bring $400 to the ridge behind the canyon by tomorrow. Unless you never want to see your son again. Jack crumbled up the note and tossed it behind his shoulder. If someone was going to try and weasel money out of him they should at least threaten to burn his place down. He didn't have a kid.

Ben nodded at Eli. Eli threw open the window and Ben yelled, "Got you." Shelby jumped up, banged her head on a tree and cursed Ben. Ben's eyes opened wide. "Thought you were Joe," he explained through his laughter.

Jack laughed. If any woman deserved to have sense knocked into them it was Shelby. He heard Hoss and Adam's voice calling in the street for their younger brother. Jack's mind flashed to an image. Ruffling Joe's hair. Calling him son. Fear began to take residence in the pit of his stomach. No, that couldn't be. Jack jumped from his chair causing it to crash to the ground.

Ben spun around and saw Jack grab a crumbled piece of paper off the ground. He read the note then his eyes lifted and sought out Ben. Ben could feel his face pale, his body quivered inside. There was fear, sorrow and a deep regret etched in Jack Wolf's dark eyes.

"What is it Jack?"

"I'm sorry...Ben...I'm so sorry." For the first time in his life Jack couldn't think of something to say. Words would not come to him. "You have to believe me. I didn't mean for this to happen."

"What?" Anger replaced Ben's fear.

"Pa, we can't find Little Joe," Hoss stood in the doorway, confusion rising in his blue eyes. Concern flooded Adam, it looked like Pa was thinking of hurting Jack. "Is something wrong?" Adam asked, needing and wanting an answer.

"Jack!"

Ben's sharp tone reminded Jack he needed to answer the man. He was wasting time. "Ben, I'll do as they ask."

"Who and what." Ben was calming. Hoss and Adam moved toward each other, making sure they had a means of a quick getaway.

"I didn't know..."

"Jack..."

Jack handed the note to Ben. Ben read it. He gave Jack a questioning glance and then his gaze traveled to his sons. His two sons. Ben paled. "Oh my God." He griped the edge of the table to remain standing.

"Pa!" Hoss and Adam cried out at the same time and started toward their pa.

The paper became a crumbled ball in Ben's clenched hand. His eyes took in Jack, hardness crept in and darkened the color. His baby...his baby was taken. Because of that man. Ben knew who did it. The men Jack taunted. They took his baby to get even with Jack.

"I'll kill you." Ben declared calmly. He walked slowly and stood in front of Jack. He grabbed the front of the man's suit and slammed him against the wall. Jack didn't try to break free. "That is a promise I'm making Jack. If they harm my baby, I will kill you." Ben went back to the table to grab his hat. He checked his pistol then returned it to his holster. "I'm going to get Joe back." Ben said, storming out of the hall.

Adam and Hoss followed frantically behind their Pa. Their baby brother was in trouble...because of Jack. Hoss paused long enough to speak to Jack. "That goes for me and Adam as well."

Jack leaned against the wall not doubting a word. The Cartwrights would kill him.

****

Little Joe woke to a heavy pressure being forced up into his stomach. The cloth secured in his mouth cut off a pain filled groan. He opened his eyes, blinking away the tears threatening to blur the images in front of him. His stomach grew queasy from the pressure and the swaying motion his body was forced to make. Joe realized he was slung across the saddle on a horse, his tied hands dangling in front of his face. The ground covered with many sharp rocks made trying to slip off to escape a bad choice. If he slid off the horse, he’d probably hurt himself and still be with the cowboy who took him. Were Pa and his brothers looking for them? Were they worried? Did they think he was with his Ma now? Tears ran down his face as he thought of his Pa and brothers. Would he ever see them again? Joe felt the horse come to a stop.

"I did it!" He heard the cowboy say. Joe kept still. He didn’t want them to know he was listening.

"You got our money." A new voice answered, sounding very pleased. Joe figured this was the other guy he saw in the street. The other man who felt Jack had cheated him. But why did they want to hurt him, why didn’t they just hurt Jack? He was glad he was gagged; the men couldn’t hear him cry.

"Sort of."

"What do you mean sort of?" The voice tensed with anger.

"I couldn’t find a way to get into the hotel without him or his men seeing so I got us something that will get him to bring it to us." Happiness rang in the cowboy’s voice.

There was a pause before an answer came. "What would that be?"

"This!" Joe felt something being pulled off his back quickly. "I told you I’d do good." The proud tone held a hint of nervousness.

"You idiot! What the he…heck we’re you thinking!"

Joe felt himself being lifted from the horse. He couldn’t stop the tremors from spreading across his body. He had to be brave; he had to be strong. He was twelve years old and not a baby. Little Joe felt lightheaded. He felt himself being placed on the ground in a sitting position. His green eyes meet the brown eyes of one of his kidnappers. Joe lowered his head, ashamed that he couldn’t stop himself from crying.

Mac Harris groaned loudly and looked at the ground…of all the stupid stunts his brother pulled in their life, this was definitely one that had the potential to get them killed. And to top it off they were terrifying a kid. Great, Mac thought, Ma is going beat us for this one. He had a feeling reminding her they were adults wasn’t going to help them. With a shake of his head, he looked carefully at the boy.

Little Joe’s eyes opened wide in shock at what he saw in the brown eyes. He was sure he seen that look in his brothers’ eyes, his Pa’s eyes, when they were concerned about him. But why would this man care?

The man touched the side of his forehead. "What happened?" He asked his brother, his eyes scanning and his finger probing the wound.

"He fell, Mac," the cowboy’s voice was soft. "He was kicking and squirming and we tripped. He hit his head."

"Give me your canteen, Lionel." With a sigh Lionel handed it over. Mac went over to his horse and rummaged around in his saddlebag. He pulled out a handkerchief and poured the water on it. He returned to Joe and carefully cleaned the wound.

"Ma ain’t gonna be happy, is she?"

Mac gave Lionel a soft smile. "No, brother, she isn’t at that. She’ll tan you for doing this and me for letting you. I knew I should have gone instead of you." He shook his head in frustration and rolled his eyes at his brother. "Course, you’d gotten into some hare brained trouble out here by yourself."

"I can’t get in trouble by myself." Lionel kneeled down and talked to Joe. "Brother there always seems to think I’d find trouble anywhere."

"If you don’t find it, you bring it." Mac pointed at Little Joe. "And that kid there is a heap of trouble you brought."

"Naw. His Pa will bring the money. He gives us the money, we give him his boy and we’re all happy." Lionel licked his lips nervously as the look appearing on his brother’s face sank into his brain. "I ain’t meant no harm.

"Jack Wolf isn’t the kind of man to understand no harm. He’ll shoot us." Mac looked up at the sky and then toward the horizon where Eagle Station lay beyond. "Weather is going bad and soon a posse wanting to go bad on us will be here."

"What are we going to do with the kid? I figured we’d just give him back…but now." Lionel shuddered and his anxious eyes fell on Joe.

Joe squirmed on the hard ground, a shudder rippling through his body. They had started to seem okay but now he was confused. Joe felt the wetness sliding down his cheeks. He wished he could stop crying.

"We’ll think of something later," Mac pulled himself onto his horse. He turned his mount to face Joe and Lionel. "Pick him and bring him to me. And be careful." He added when his brother lifted the boy from the ground. Mac settled the boy in front of him on the saddle. The boy’s back pressed against his left arm, his legs dangling over the horse’s right side.

Lionel climbed onto his mount and brought it around to flank his brother’s. "Where to?"

"I saw some caves just south of the ridge. We’ll hole up in one for the night and figure what we’re going to do." He felt a tremor cross the boy’s back. "And give me your coat."

"My coat?" Lionel asked, already doing what his brother said.

"Shouldn’t be any reason for the boy to be cold. It isn’t his fault his father wasn’t decent to us…or you came up with a stupid plan." He wrapped the coat around Joe’s body and encircled the boy lightly with his arms. He didn’t want to frighten the boy anymore by making him feel like a captive but he also didn’t want him to slip from the horse. Mac wanted the boy to ride with him so he could do some explaining before he untied him. He didn't want the kid to scared anymore, but he also didn't want to see his brother get hanged. "Yah!" He shouted, nudging his horse forward. Lionel followed. Slowly the brothers brought their horses to a gallop.

*****

Ben squirmed in his saddle trying to remain patient. He knew it could take a few moments for Hoss to adequately read the tracks but he couldn't help wanting to know now.

"We're still going in the right direction, Pa," Hoss said, removing his hat and wiping his brow. He pressed it back onto his head and wished he could use his hands on someone else's head. Those two guys were going to pay for taking Little Joe.

"How far in front of us?" Adam asked. Hoss answered but Adam’s mind was refocused on his baby brother. He prayed that Joe wasn't hurt, wasn't scared, and filled with hope that his Pa and big brothers would get him back. He didn't really care how much of a head start they had; he'd track them down. Adam would never quit until Little Joe was safe in Pa’s arms. Those two men were going to suffer.

Jack heard Hoss' answer of likely two or three hours and didn't want to point out that the darkening of the sky was from storm clouds readying to dump their water on them. Jack hadn't done much talking during the hunting of the kidnappers. The money for Little Joe was secured in his saddlebags. He wanted to plan to get Joe and the money back but Ben Cartwright would shoot him before either of the men he wanted to double cross did. There were a few things you didn’t cross; a mama bear with her cubs, a pack of wolves, Jack Wolf, and Pa Cartwright. Ben you could but not this man he was seeing in front of him. Not the man who slammed him against the wall, not the man who locked eyes with him saying calmly I will kill you, not the man who sat tall on his horse, eyes blazing hotter than the sun ever had, hands strangling a rein which was talking the place of two men who took his child. This was Pa Cartwright. And the man terrified Jack Wolf.

"Pa we're going to have to set up camp. The sky is going to be opening up soon." Sadness radiated across Hoss' face.

"Anyone opposed to keep going until we can't see in front of us?" Ben asked.

Adam replied by nudging his horse forward. Hoss mounted up. Jack sighed quietly and followed Ben. "We'll find him Ben," Jack placed his hand on Ben's shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Ben moved his shoulder back and slowly turned his head to stare at Jack. "We better." Jack drew back from the threat he saw clearly in Ben's eyes.

******

"Go hide the horses." Mac pointed out a small crevice with grass a few yards away from the cave he spotted to set up camp.

"It's raining," Lionel announced. "And the thunder is starting. You know I don't like to be out during a storming."

"We wouldn't be here if you hadn't come up with your plan." Mac lifted Joe from the horse.

"Is he sleeping?" Lionel peered into the face of the boy cradled in his brother's arms. Two large frightened green eyes stared back.

"He's getting wetter. Take care of the horses now and I'll get him where it's dry." Mac cocked his head toward the opening in the rocks. Muttering, Lionel turned and went to do what he was told. "Sorry, kid," Mac said softly. He entered into the cave and placed Joe right inside the opening. "Let me get some light in here." He lit a match and looked around the cave, spotting a branch before the flame burned out. Mac struck another match and quickly made his way to the piece of wood. He picked it up and used the remaining fire on the match to turn the branch into a torch. "Now that's better." He smiled at the boy. A shiver took control of the boy's body. "Lionel, grab some firewood."

"But it's wet out here!" Lionel voice whined.

"And it'll be cold in here if you don't find some branches we can turn into firewood." Mac picked up Joe and moved him farther into the cave. "It should be warmer back here away from the wind and rain." He smiled to ease the tension in the young boy. The bright green eyes stared at him. "Let's get this coat off you." He removed the wet article hoping that would stop the shaking. "Now, kid, I'm going to remove these ropes and things. Okay?"

The boy nodded vigorously. The wet curls on top of his head bobbing up and down.

"I promise we're going to give you back to your Pa. My brother doesn't think so well on occasions. Neither of us wants to hurt you kid. Okay?"

Joe nodded again.

"I reckon you're pretty mad at us and I don't blame you a bit. Heck, if you wanted to give me a kick I'd take it." He grinned at Joe. "I'd welcome it." He saw the green eyes twinkle. "Remember what I said on the ride here. No running off...we don't want you to get hurt and then your Pa will have to kill us."

The boy bobbed his head again enthusiastically.

Mac removed the gag and was prepared to cover the boy's mouth with his hand. He couldn't really be upset if they boy didn't trust them. It was hard to put belief in two men who took you from your Pa.

Joe opened and closed his mouth a few times. He took in a deep breath and squeaked out. "Water."

Mac hit himself in the head. "I can't believe I didn't remember to bring them in."

"Bring what?" Lionel asked, dropping wood, canteens and two saddlebags onto the floor of the cave.

"The canteens!" Mac cheered. "So you can think. Toss me one, the kid needs a drink." He caught the canteen. Joe lifted his hands out in front of him. "Sure, I'll untie them first." He removed the rope from around the thin wrists and rubbed them gently. He placed the canteen in Joe's hands. "There you go, kid."

Joe took deep, rapid gulps. Sitting the canteen down, Joe wiped his mouth on his sleeve.

Mac untied his feet and rubbed his ankles. "Feeling better?"

"No," Joe responded automatically trying to stand up. Mac helped him up. Joe steadied himself, took a deep breath and kicked Mac in the shin with all the strength he could muster. "Can I?" Joe asked, casting a glance in Lionel’s direction, a huge grin relaxing his face.

Giving in to his laughter, Mac rubbed his leg and nodded at the boy. "Have at it."

Joe pulled his leg back, turned, and kicked Lionel in the shin.

"Hey!" Lionel screamed in pain, dropping the wood he had been carrying past Joe. He sat on the ground and rubbed his leg. "What you go and do that for?" Lionel stared into the sparkling green eyes of the young boy. "He said I could," the boy answered, pointing to Mac. Giving his leg one last rub, Lionel stood up and went to start the fire. If it made the boy feel better he’d take another kick. Probably better the boy than Mac, who looked like he wanted to do the same thing.

"Anything else in those saddle bags ‘sides jerky?" Mac asked.

Lionel rolled his eyes and looked at Joe. "Put the horses away, get the water, start the fire, now find dinner. Big brothers sure are bossy." Lionel’s grin quickly turned into a frown when tears puddled in the boy’s eyes. The boy turned away, dipping his head low and scrubbing at his eyes.

Mac approached the boy slowly. "You okay, kid." The boy mumbled a response. He laid a gentle hand on the heaving shoulder. "You all right?" The boy nodded. "I promise, we’ll get you home tomorrow."

Joe sat down and looked up at Mac. "I know," he said softly. "I just miss my big brothers."

"You got big brothers," Lionel’s voice was shaky.

"Yep. Two of them." Joe looked at Lionel then at Mac. "And they ain’t gonna be very happy with you." Joe crossed his arms across his chest and leaned back against the cave’s wall.

Mac motioned for Lionel to toss him the saddlebag. Mac caught it and placed it in his lap. "I wouldn’t be too happy either. I’d want to string me up a couple of men."

Joe frowned. "They might think about it…not that I really want them too. Well, at least not now."

"So you wanted us hung earlier?" Lionel asked, sitting down near Little Joe.

Joe’s eyes flew open in horror. "Gosh, mister, I don’t want you hung! I didn’t want you hung before neither." Joe crossed his heart. "Honest!"

Mac threw jerky and a canteen toward Lionel’s head. "Watch it," Lionel complained, ducking. Mac handed Joe some jerky. "Whatever you thought kid, it’s okay."

Thunder filled the night air. Joe and Lionel jerked up and scooted closer to Mac. "Hate storms," Lionel muttered. "Me, too." Joe threw a shaky smile in Lionel’s direction.

"Just pretend it’s something else," Mac said.

"Ma says the same thing and it don’t help none when she says it. Ain’t gonna help much you saying it."

Little Joe tried to stop the tears that wanted to come. He took a bite of jerky but had to spit it out as the tears came making it hard for him to swallow.

"It’s all right…what’s your name?" Lionel asked, patting the boy’s knee.

"Li...Little...Little Joe." Joe tried taking in deep gulps of breaths but his sobs grew stronger.

Mac looked at Lionel who stared at him in dismay and shrugged his shoulders. Mac moved closer to the boy and put an arm around his shoulder. He drew the boy close to him. "It’s gonna be okay, Little Joe, tomorrow you’ll be home with your pa and ma."

"My ma died. Man killed her. Blew up the store." Joe choked the words out, allowing himself to lean against Mac.

"Oh God!" The brothers cried out. Mac dropped all concerns and thinking through how he should respond and followed what his heart, and his Ma would encourage. Quickly, he pulled Little Joe onto his lap and began rocking the boy back and forth. "I’m so sorry, son. I’m so sorry. God, your pa and brothers must be so worried about you. We’ll get you back."

"I’m sorry," Lionel whispered, swiping at the tears running down his cheeks. "Me and my stupid idea. What the hell, we’ve lost more money on gambling than what Wolf owns us." Lionel had never felt so ashamed as he did in that moment. Mac always told him to try and think what would make someone pick the choices they did. He couldn’t think why Jack Wolf wouldn’t pay them the money they earned. Accuse them of stealing. Now, the pain in his heart for Jack Wolf and the child, Little Joe, made him understand. For your wife, your child’s mother to be killed would turn any man hard.

Thunder roared through the valley, the cave’s walls echoed the loud, rumbling sound. The boy in his arms trembling grew as his cries became hoarse. "How about a story?" Mac knew it was a small thing compared to Little Joe’s grief but he hoped even small could help a bit. Joe nodded his head yes against Mac’s chest. Mac leaned back.

"About pirates?" Lionel asked, smiling at his older brother and stretching out on the cave’s floor, a saddlebag being used as his pillow.

"Pirates?" Mac frowned thoughtfully.

Joe sniffed and sat up, sliding off Mac’s lap to sit beside him. "At sea?"

Mac could hear the interest and slight excitement in the child’s voice. If it was pirates he wanted, by damn, he’d make up the best pirate story anyone would ever tell on a stormy night. "Pirates at sea it is."

"Captain Joe?"

Mac laughed and draped an arm around the boy. "Captain Joe and his not so very bright crew."

****

 

Little Joe peered out the cave. The sun was starting to rise and soon the light would wake up Mac and Lionel. Joe turned back and gazed at the two men sleeping on the hard ground. Lionel's head was on his saddlebag, Mac's was on the ground as he'd given Little Joe his to use as a pillow. Mac had also covered him with his own coat, leaving his own body chilled during the long, loud night. Little Joe held his breath at the sound of Lionel rolling over. He let it out softly when the snores continued. Last night, he heard Mac and Lionel talk over taking the quickest and usual or the safest way to get to the ridge after the rain. They had agreed on the safest way but on foot Joe could take the quickest way.

Little Joe quietly left the cave. Pa, his brothers and Jack Wolf would be getting to the ridge soon. They'd be finding him without the "kidnappers" and since Jack would get to keep his money, he wouldn't want to chase after the brothers. Mac would be mad at him for running off, heck, his Pa would be mad if he knew Little Joe was safe with Mac and Lionel but he couldn't stay knowing the brothers could get hurt...hung because of the big prank.

Joe sat on the hard ground and slowly made his way down the rocky hill. He braced his feet on some larger rocks and looked down the hill for another good place to stop. Little Joe spotted two rocks close to each other that weren't too far down and moved his feet off the rocks to slide to the next pair. He didn't remember the cliff being so steep when Mac carried him up last night.

Little Joe got down to the bottom. Placing his hands on his hips, he stared at the wilderness in front of him. Cocking his head to the side, he searched the trees, the sky and the ground for the direction he should set off in. Mac had mentioned something about a small path that would lead to a creek...Joe saw a clearing through the trees that looked like a path to him. The sun continued to climb. Yep, Joe thought, taking in a deep breath and walking forward with purpose, this was definitely the way to Pa. He grinned, now running excitedly. Little Joe couldn't wait to see Pa.

****

"Hurry!" Hoss bellowed at the three still wasting time eating breakfast. He grabbed the nearly empty plate out of Adam's hands. "Saddle your dang horse." Hoss glared at his Pa, Adam and Jack before checking for the third time that the fire was put out. Didn't they realize Little Joe needed them now? His baby brother was scared. Hoss had tossed and turned all night, every thunder forcing him to push down the tears that welled up in his throat. He could see Little Joe's face in his mind clearly...the round green eyes, bottom lashes becoming wet with tears, the small pants Little Joe made to try to stop from crying because he wanted to prove how old he was. Heck, he been trying to tell Little Joe that being scared about things didn't make you young...that was just age.

But Little Joe would be stubborn and stay in his bed until the trembling started and his mind started picturing all the evil the thunder could bring...scaring the horses, making them stampede, losing money, Adam having to get a job far away, Pa having to take another job and Little Joe being left alone. More than anything Joe hated being without his family. Swiping the looming tears, Hoss picked up a rock and threw it at a tree a few yards away. Those men were going to regret taking his little brother. Joe needed them last night. He and Adam always protected Joe from the storms and those men stopped them from doing that.

Adam flinched at the sound of the rock smashing into the tree. He stood and pointed to his horse. Hoss crossed his arms and kept the annoyance clearly on his face. Adam wanted to tell his brother he had wanted to finish those last few bites but the anger in Hoss was growing every minute. If only Hoss had allowed his tears to come during the night, he'd be calmer this morning. Adam knew the coughs, loud sighs and sniffs was Hoss trying to keep the tears at bay.

Last night, Adam was glad of the practice he had as a youngster to lay in bed and quietly cry so Pa wouldn't get upset and blame himself over the course his life was taking with two young boys and no mother. Adam had prayed along with his father, asking that Little Joe be kept safe, that his fears would be quieted during the storm, and that he would know his family was coming to get him. Adam had then rolled over and cried silently for his baby brother, for Joe's fears and loneliness, and for Adam's own fears of what horrors Little Joe was experiencing. He had fallen asleep by squeezing his eyes shut, picturing comforting Little Joe and speaking in his head the words he'd have uttered aloud if his youngest brother had been with them. If those men had to get even with Jack, couldn't they have shot the man, burned down the hotel...why did they have to rip Little Joe away from them? Adam checked his rifle; it was loaded and ready. Those men would pay for laying their hands on his baby brother.

"Now, Hoss..." Ben began. Hoss turned to face his father, impatience taking root in the normally calm face of the young man, his booted foot tapping the ground in a hurry-it-up tempo. "We'll be leaving soon, son," Ben responded instead. He knew Hoss had a hard night. His normal cheerful son complained bitterly about the cold, the rain, and the hardness of the ground. Ben knew the complaints were based on the anger Hoss felt knowing that his younger brother was being forced to endure the night in the storming weather. Both boys knew Little Joe hated storms, especially the thunder, and Little Joe's peace of mind and sleep was found in big brother Adam's arms. Ben leaned his head against his saddle, not wanting his sons to see the tears he had only allowed to drift out during the night.

It took all of Ben's strength last night not to follow his own burning rage and beat Jack Wolf for causing this horror, this heartache to befall him and his three boys. Hoss was beside himself with worry, Adam turning in the middle of the night to cry silently...once more believing he had to be strong for his Pa. And Little Joe, his baby, his small son in the hands of men who intended to cause pain and do harm to a little boy they believed belonged to a man that wronged them. Why didn't those men just go after Jack, what kind of men went after a small child? Took a baby from its family.

Ben took a deep breath and wiped the traces of his sadness from his face. He straightened his hat, checked to make sure his pistol was loaded and the rope secured to his saddle. Ben fingered the rope, his mind returning to the words Hoss had pleaded. "When we find them Pa, let me drag them to town." Ben turned as Jack called out to him, a hard smile lining his face. This morning, dragging them sounded like a wonderful plan.

"Ready?" Jack shifted uncomfortably in his saddle. He didn't care too much for that smile on Ben's face. Jack pulled his black hat down low to shield his tired eyes. And he didn't care too much for lying awake all night because someone swiped a kid they thought was his. He didn't understand the Harris brothers, putting a kid in danger for 400 bucks just didn't seem right. He would go along and hand over the money, and not just because three Cartwrights with guns would have him in shooting range, but because men who were willing to snatch a child right out from under "his Pa" wouldn't think twice about hurting the kid. The dread that kept bubbling up in Jack during the night resurfaced again. He hated that feeling. For some reason the thought of the youngest Cartwright, with the giggle not quite as annoying as most children's and those eyes that clearly showed his spunk, ate away at him. Jack pushed his hat down lower on his head and followed the Cartwrights. He hated this damn conscience that decided yesterday to come to life inside of him.

****

Little Joe stopped and sat under the shade of one of the pine trees in the forest. He wiped his brow and squinted at the sun. He thought for sure he'd reach the creek by now and he needed a drink. Joe raised his knees, cupped his chin in his hands and rested his arms on his knees. For some reason, this plan of his to get to Pa and his brothers wasn't as easy as it sounded in his head. The path he was following sure did weave a lot and now there really didn't seem to be a path in this part of the woods. Well, these woods weren't that deep or wide...at least from at the cave they had a beginning and end. He just had to find the end. Joe jumped up at the sound of the rustling in the brushes behind him. He looked nervously at the moving leaves. A rabbit hopped out and cut across his path. Little Joe was picking up all the sounds around him; birds, rustling, low growls...Joe gulped and quickly choose a path to begin walking in. Whatever that growl was from, he wanted to get far from it.

****

Mac squinted and turned over to get the hot brightness from his face and eyes. He sat up quickly and stretched out, giving Lionel a swift, hard kick in his boot. "We best get going. It won't help if Wolf thinks we're standing him up."

"Don't want him to think we keepin the kid." Lionel worked the kinks out of his body and grabbed a canteen to take a quick drink before they went on their way. His stomach was making so many moves that he didn't even want to have the thought of breakfast.

"Or that we hurt him," Mac said, looking around the cave. His features drew together in puzzlement. Where was Little Joe? "Kid, lets get to your Pa!" Dread began to fill up the hunger in Mac's stomach. "Little Joe!"

Lionel began searching every inch of the cave, hoping that the boy was laying somewhere in a deep slumber. "He ain't here, Mac." He couldn't contain the alarm in his voice.

Mac walked to the entrance of the cave and saw the skid marks going down the hill. The kid left...by himself. "Oh Lord," Mac moaned. "Keep him safe. Come on, we have to find that boy."

"Now why did he go and run off?" Lionel whined. "We done told him we'd give him back to his pa." Lionel shuddered. He focused his pain filled eyes on his brother. "He'll be okay, you reckon?"

"Sure," Mac responded, hoping that would reassure his brother. The boy had left on his own to reach his Pa so that he and Lionel didn't get hurt. The kid had been horrified at the idea that they might get hung because Lionel had put a bad plan into motion. "We'll find him real quick." He didn't need to add to his concerns by having his brother grow hysterical about the plight of Little Joe. He couldn't have gotten too far ahead of them and last night's storm would leave the ground soft enough for tracks to direct them to the kid.

Lionel gripped Mac's arm, fear clearly showing on his face. "What if we don't find him soon? What if we're late?"

Jack Wolf will come gunning for us, Mac answered in his head. Not showing up on time to get their money would tell Wolf one thing...there was no trade. "We'll have to split up. Listen to me carefully." Mac grabbed hold of both of Lionel's arm and gave him a little shake to make sure he was paying attention and so that whatever stupid idea he was thinking on his own would fall out of his head.

"I'm listening," Lionel said, squirming in his brother's tight grip.

"Shut up and stay still, this is important."

Lionel let out an exasperated sigh and stood up straight as a board. He opened his eyes wide and concentrated on his brother's face. "You look for the kid, when you find him get to the creek and then yell as loud as you can that he's with you. And have Little Joe yell that he's okay."

Lionel grinned. "That ain't hard. I can do that."

"Be careful. Remember I told you last night that I saw some bear tracks. It doesn't look like a big one but a middle size one isn't something you'd want to tangle with either."

"I ain't aimin' to tangle with no bear."

"Wish you thought of not tangling with Wolf," Mac muttered. Lionel looked at him quizzically. "Nothing. Now while you're looking for Little Joe, I'm going to meet with Wolf and explain things to him." Mac turned from Lionel and began his trek toward wrath. He didn't want to see the worry in his younger brother's features.

****

Ben, his boys and Jack arrived at the ridge and unmounted. Ben scanned the area, no sign of Little Joe or the men that took him. He had hoped the men would arrive early and be happy to conduct their "business" ahead of schedule. Obviously, they were going to play by the rules they had set in motion, the thought comforted Ben. He smiled, his arms aching to hold his baby. In a short time this nightmare would be over.

"You should be out of sight," Jack said, speaking aloud for the first time since they left camp.

"I don't think so," Adam responded, planting his feet firmly on the spot he stood. He wasn't going anywhere without Little Joe. Not even one inch.

"I agree with older brother." Hoss mimicked Adam's stance. He knew Jack and Pa could move Adam but there was no way they could budge him.

Ben smiled tenderly at his boys, he understood their reasoning and though his emotions left him not wanting to agree with Jack about anything, Ben had to concede he was right. It was best for them to be out of sight. The men might look at the four of them as outnumbering and figure their chances of coming out unharmed were reduced. The boys had to leave. "Sons, I know how you feel...."

"No." Adam glared at his pa. He wasn't going to listen to another word. Hoss chose to shake his head no once. He came to get Little Joe and dang it, he wasn't leaving without his little brother.

"Boys..." The pleading tone and soft gaze their father directed at them started to melt their resistance. Why did Pa have to use that tone? "As much as I hate to agree with Jack, he is right. Do you think criminals are going to walk right into a situation that has the odds against them?"

"Well..." Hoss looked to Adam to finish his sentence. Adam sighed, his shoulders slumping. He was going to have to move. "No, sir." Hoss looked at the ground, kicking at the pebbles scattered around his feet.

"And it's better to have a few positions established just in case," Jack said, keeping his eyes focused on the only entrance he knew into the ridge. They better hurry and give him Little Joe before he changed his mind about them riding out.

"If there is any just in case..." Adam allowed his threat to trail off and hang in the air unfinished.

"Adam, Hoss, as soon as Joe is with me we'll fire two rounds in the air."

Adam nodded, motioning for Hoss and they mounted quickly and rode their horses into the surrounding woods.

"Ben..."

Ben looked into the sympathy filled eyes of Jack Wolf and could read the rest of his words. Ben also needed to leave the clearing. An even match might scare them off, leaving his son in their grips. "Little Joe better not come to any harm, Jack. I'm holding you responsible for how this transpires."

"You're not the only one," Jack said.

The look in his eyes allowed Ben to see how firm a grasp Jack had on what the Cartwrights would do if Joseph was hurt...and that Jack was personally concerned about the well-being of Little Joe, holding himself responsible for the kidnapping. Jack Wolf had come for one reason, to ensure the safety and return of a child that he held a quiet fondness for. "I trust you, Jack," Ben whispered, walking back toward the brush to stake out a close and safe place to wait.

Jack turned from Ben and nodded, swallowing the knot that lodged in his throat. Where in the hell were the Harris brothers?

****

Little Joe's feet and legs grew tired of the fast pace he was keeping. He had been trying so hard to listen for and stay ahead of whatever animal growled that he forgot to think about and follow the directions he heard Mac talk about. Joe rubbed at the tears blurring his vision. He couldn't cry. He needed to find his Pa, his brothers, or even Jack Wolf. It would even be good right now to find his way back to Mac and Lionel. Hopefully they wouldn't be too mad at him for leaving and would take him to his Pa after all. They could just leave him a few yards from the meeting location, point him in the right direction and he'd walk the rest of the way real slow, giving them plenty of time to get away. His Pa and brothers would be so happy to see him they wouldn't worry about chasing after them. They'd just want to get him home to a warm fire and Hop Sing's cooking. Little Joe licked his lips. He sure was getting hungry. He heard a low growl again and the tears returned. He sure hoped whatever it was wasn't hungry.

Little Joe heard a loud rustling around him, a growl sounding closer. Little Joe searched quickly and spotted an opening in the trees. He sprinted toward them, not looking back to see if the animal was following him or decided to pick on something else.

 

****

Hoss and Adam came to a small creek in the woods. "We should rest the horses here for a bit," Adam said, sliding down from Beauty and filling up his canteen.

"You think this is far enough but close enough to wait it out?" Hoss asked, getting down from his horse. He didn't want Little Joe to be in danger because they could be seen, but he didn't want his little brother in danger because they weren't close enough to help him.

Adam gazed around and took inventory of the area around them. Plenty of trees to keep cover, he knew that hadn't traveled too far away from Pa, they should be able to get back within 15 minutes, he knew they'd travel faster getting back then they did getting there. The water would allow them to get refreshed and those men might make a stop at the creek first before continuing to the meeting place. Adam squinted his eyes and examined the sun; Little Joe should've been safely with Pa by now. Something had happened.

Hoss saw the tension grow on Adam's face as he looked up at the sun. He leaned against his horse and rested his forehead on the saddle, his hands wrapped around the saddle horn. Please God, Hoss prayed, let them bring Little Joe back to us soon.

****

Little Joe's run was slowly turning into a fast walk, his lungs burning and feet hurting from the blisters forming on the back of his heel. The toe of Joe's boot became snagged in a root and he tripped, falling heavily to the ground. With a strangled cry, Joe broke his fall by placing his hands out in front. "I quit," Little Joe whimpered, letting his body lie on the damp ground. He was tired, thirsty and hungry and every stupid tree looked like every other stupid tree. I'm going to be in these woods forever, Joe thought, sniffing once and resting his head on his arms. Joe rubbed his eyes hard hoping to stop the tears but it only made his eyes hurt. Why wasn't anybody finding him?

Joe could feel the coolness in the air; he should have been with his Pa by now. But he wasn't safe with his Pa, he was lost in the woods and if Mac and Lionel decided to look for him they weren't safe either. Looks like his plan wasn't any better than Lionel's. Joe buried his head in arms and sobbed. All he wanted was to go home.

Through his tears, Joe heard the cracking of branches. He took in deep gulps of air and sat up, fearfully looking over his shoulder. His eyes widened as the stomping sounds, the rustling of leaves and cracking of wood got closer to him. He heard low grumbles as the branches a few yards behind him started to part. Little Joe attempted to jump to his feet but the wet ground caused him to stumble forward on one knee. He started to push himself up when he felt his shirt being held in a tight grasp. Little Joe squeezed his eyes shut and screamed.

****

"Jack," Ben whispered loudly. "Jack, do you see them!"

"Not a sign, Ben," Jack didn't like the worried tone coming out of his own mouth. Where was Little Joe? He could care less if the two swine showed up but he wanted that little boy and he wanted him now. The longer those men waited, the more Jack was losing the notion of not doing harm to them. They better not their change minds or have hurt Little Joe...Jack pushed down the word killed. He didn't want to fear that that was a possibility. He wouldn't be able to live with himself.

"I'm going to kill them," Ben muttered.

Jack smiled. He sure was glad to know that Pa Cartwright's wrath was now switching to the Harris brothers. Ben watched Jack begin his pacing again in the small clearing, his steps agitated and precise. Ben could guess what faces those small rocks being crushed under Jack Wolf's boot looked like. Jack's anger gave Ben some comfort. He had a feeling Jack wasn't going to be quite the same man when he returned to Eagle Station as he was when he left. Ben peered over the bush, the two outlaws were still nowhere to be seen. All he wanted was Little Joe back! Those men could ride out without a care if they would just appear in front of him with his child. Ben sat down and stretched his sore legs out in front of him, he didn't remember kneeling in one place being so painful.

"Where is he, Harris!" Ben heard the words explode from Jack. He scrambled to his feet and looked at Jack holding a pistol on one of the men that had kidnapped Joe. Ben's eyes hungrily sought out a glimpse of his baby son...fear and anger collided in his stomach when Little Joe was nowhere to be seen.

"I'll shoot you right here! Where's th..my boy!"

Mac raised his hands high above his head. "That's what I need to explain to you!"

"Explain?" Ben screamed, charging out from behind the bush heading to a collision with Mac. Jack stepped between the two, his pistol aimed at Mac's heart.

"You better talk quick," Jack said, gesturing for Ben to remain calm.

Mac gazed at the wild, angry eyes of the sandy haired man in front of him. He could read the vivid fear, anger, revenge and wrath in the man's eyes. Jack Wolf's pistol was still drawn and aimed, ready to send him packing six feet under, he could sense the controlled anger in Wolf but ... Mac's eyes opened wide in shock and he fell to his knees. The boy wasn't Jack Wolf's...they took some other grieving widower's young son, a man who had done nothing to them. "I'm going to beat him senseless." Mac vowed. "How bad of a plan can one idiot come up with!" He turned promising eyes on Ben. "I swear to you mister, Lionel is going to get a good trashing over this."

"What?" Ben and Jack said in confusion.

"Little Joe, is your boy." He nodded his head at Ben.

"That's right." Ben grabbed Mac by the front of his shirt and lifted him up. His eyes bored into Mac's. "And I want my child back now!"

"I want too..."

"Unless you want to be hurt bad," Jack said, stepping back to let Mac know he'd let Ben have his wrath, "I wouldn't be waiting much longer."

"There's a slight problem..." Mac's air was being shut off from his lungs as Ben increased his pressure to draw the collar of Mac's shirt tighter.

"If you harmed him."

Mac shook his head no vigorously. "I'd never hurt a kid," he squeaked out. "Lionel meant no harm."

"You rustle off a child and that ain't harming him?" Jack couldn't believe the stupidity of the Harris brothers or the stupidity they thought claimed his and Ben's brains.

"Lionel is kind of slow in the thinking."

"Where is he?" Ben and Jack asked. A shrill petrified child's scream pierced the air and hung for a moment before it abruptly ended. A shudder ran up Ben's spine. Ben pulled his fist back and punched Mac in the jaw, letting the man fall to the ground in a heap. Ben pulled out his pistol and ran toward the sound.

Jack grabbed Mac's arm, twisted it behind the man's back and shoved him after Ben. "Start praying."

****

Lionel clamped his hand over Joe's mouth. "You ain't want that bear to hear us now do you?" Joe nodded no; fear still clearly showing on his pale face. Lionel removed his hand and helped Joe stand up. He patted the shaking boy's back. "Now don't you worry none."

"I thought you were the animal that's been following me."

Lionel smiled at Joe and ruffled his hair. "Animals don't follow on purpose. You's two just going in the same direction toward the water."

"The creek?" Joe asked.

"Yep, just right past those bushels of trees." Lionel pointed them out. "Mac said to go and meet him there. He went to explain things to your pa."

"Oh," Joe said, worry lining his young face.

Lionel smiled again. "Mac's real good with words." He frowned, hearing the shallow breathing coming from the boy. "You want to rest a bit first."

"Just a little," Joe said, sitting down. "I don't feel so good." Joe's head began to swim and Lionel started to go out of focus.

"You okay?" Lionel asked, leaning over and peering into the child's face. He pushed Joe down gently to make him lie down.

"Just a little dizzy." Joe closed his eyes to stop the slight spinning.

"Have you had anything to eat and drink?" Lionel leaned over further to place his hand on Joe's forehead. The boy wasn't hot. Lionel started to stand up to get his canteen for Joe when the loud bellow came from the trees behind him. Branches crashed to the ground and a loud roar put terror in Lionel's heart as the shadow of a large bear fell over him and Little Joe. Lionel stood over Little Joe, drawing his pistol. "Run, kid, run!"

Little Joe stood still in shock. They were going to die, he thought before his brain took in one unusual thing about the big creature rumbling toward them...it wore a hat. "No!" Little Joe screamed, pushing Lionel's arm holding the pistol toward the sky.

"Run!" Lionel shouted again, the bullet he wasn't sure he could fire being sent into the clouds. Lionel squeezed his eyes tight as the mammoth weight crashed into him making him drop the pistol. He grabbed on tight hoping that would keep the bear from wrestling with the young boy. "Run!" Lionel said again, falling backwards onto the ground, pounding away at the bear.

"Bears don't wear hats," Joe said, desperately grabbing at Lionel's flailing fists so he didn't hurt Hoss.

Lionel squinted out of one eye. The boy was right; this definitely wasn't a bear. But one look into the blue fury filled eyes made Lionel wish it were a bear. He'd have a better chance coming out alive.

"I'm going to skin you alive!" Hoss roared, flipping the man over his shoulder. He could feel the ground jolt under his feet when the kidnapper landed flat on his back. The man turned over to try and crawl away but Hoss grabbed hold of his ankle and yanked him backward. "You ain't getting away!" The tears that had blinded Hoss when he had heard Little Joe's terrified scream vanished and turned to a boiling rage when he saw his baby brother lying still on the ground with the man standing over him.

"Hoss, it's okay," Joe pleaded, needing his brother to look at him. Once Hoss saw him he wouldn't be so mad, Joe didn't want Lionel to get hurt anymore. "Hoss!" Joe tried to grab hold of his brother's arm to stop him from jumping on Lionel and continue the pounding. "Hoss, please," Joe whispered, his tears falling onto Hoss' arm.

The soft plea tore at Hoss' heart and he released hold of the subdued kidnapper and gathered Little Joe into his arms. "It's all right, baby, big brother is here. He ain't gonna hurt you." Hoss glared down at the man who remained on the ground staring at him with scared eyes. Hoss stood up with Joe firmly engulfed in a hug. "They didn't hurt you none?" Hoss leaned his body back away from Joe so he could take a good look at him. There was a small bruise on Little Joe's forehead, and dirt covered his face but besides that he appeared to be okay.

"I wasn't gonna hurt 'im," the man on the ground said softly. "I just didn't want no bear to get 'im." Lionel smiled shakily at Joe. "You really did mean big brother didn't ya?"

Joe squirmed in Hoss' arm until he was turned so he could look at Lionel. "This is Hoss."

"Howdy," Lionel grinned and nodded at Hoss.

"Hoss," Little Joe placed his hand on Hoss' cheek and made his brother look him in the eyes. "That's Lionel. He didn't mean no harm." Hoss snorted and glared down at the man.

"I really don't. I've been told I don't think too good."

"He did think you were a bear," Joe stated, "and you was wearing a hat."

Hoss grinned. Little Joe had a good way of helping Lionel make his point. Now that he thought back on it, it made sense why Lionel kept yelling run...he was trying to protect Joe. "Why you go and take Little Joe?"

"I had thought it was a good way to get our pay. It ain't worked out the way I thought it would."

Hoss shifted Little Joe in his arms to get him in a more comfortable position. "You thought Jack would just nice and easy hand you over the money and wouldn't be upset that you took his boy."

Lionel looked down at the ground and drew circles in the dirt. "Actually, I didn't think it through that much."

Hoss rolled his eyes. "There's your problem." Hoss motioned for Lionel to stand up. "And why ain't you at the ridge giving Joe back to our Pa."

"That's 'cause I left," Joe admitted quietly, tears filling his eyes. Hoss looked at Joe and smiled softly to encourage him to continue. "I didn't want Mac and Lionel to get hung or hurt. I thought I could find the place really easy but I couldn't." Joe noticed the anger starting to return to Hoss' eyes as he cast a glance at Lionel. "They were nice to me. Mac even said I could kick them once he untied me." Joe smiled but the echo of tears lingered in his voice.

"Untie you?" Hoss tightened his grip on Joe and rocked back and forth, hoping to comfort Joe. Joe sniffed and rested his head on his big brother's shoulder.

"That was another bad part of the plan," Lionel offered, looking ashamed.

"Is that right?" Hoss asked, carrying Little Joe closer to Lionel. Hoss grinned wickedly and kicked Lionel hard in the shin. Lionel screamed, falling to the ground and began to massage his tender and bruised leg.

"Don't move!" Adam's deep threatening voice filled the air around them. He came from the trees with his rifle pointed at Lionel's chest.

"Don't worry Adam," Hoss threw a grin over his shoulder, "he can't."

"Little Joe," the words came out as a hurried gasp from Adam. He ran over and hugged Joe still in Hoss' arms. "Are you okay, baby brother?" Adam brushed Joe's hair aside to get a look at the bruise on his forehead. Joe's happy smile filled Adam with joy. "I'm okay," Joe answered giving Adam a tight hug. Adam pointed the rifle at the man sitting on the ground rubbing his leg. "And this?"

"That there is Lionel, the bird brained planner." Hoss bowed his head toward his older brother. "And this here is oldest brother Adam."

Lionel leaned his head back and moaned. "Just get it over with." Lionel pleaded to Adam. "But can you do me a favor and kick the left one?"

****

Ben stopped running and listened for more sounds to indicate how close he was to Little Joe. Why didn't Joe scream again? Why was the last word Ben heard from his child no followed by a gunshot. Fear and panic were slowly taking control of Ben's emotions. He needed to get to Joe, he needed to protect him, and he needed to know his youngest son was still alive.

"I hear something from over there Ben!" Jack used his pistol to point, his other hand keeping Mac's arm pinned behind his back.

Ben nodded and set off in that direction, Jack following close behind him. Ben wasn't worried about Mac, if the man was telling the truth about taking Joe being a bad choice on his brother's part there was no need to worry about the man, and if the man was lying...Jack Wolf had a pistol pointed at the back of the man's head which still made him someone not to worry about. Ben strained to hear the voices drifting from behind the trees that seemed to stretch out endlessly in front of him. "I said I got him." The voice sounded very much like Hoss. "I think I hear Hoss."

Jack pushed Mac onto the ground. "Sit there and don't move."

"Wasn't planning on it." Mac wasn't sure if he wished for Lionel to show up or not. Mac didn't believe he had talked these two men out of lynching them yet. Though if they found Joe, the scale would tip more on the side of not. Jack kept one eye on Mac and the other toward the area of woods that Ben stood in front of, anxiously waiting for a glimpse of his sons. Ben listened carefully for another minute. He was positive the voices he heard whispering in harsh tones was Hoss and Adam.

"Hurry up!" Adam shouted, pushing Lionel in front of them. "We have to...Pa!"

"My leg hurts." Lionel crashed into a tall, very angry looking man. His mind told him not to steady himself by grabbing hold. Ben moved sideways and allowed the man Adam pushed to tumble to the ground.

"Adam, where's..." Ben's breath caught in his throat as Hoss emerged from the trees. Ben drank in the sight of Joseph held tightly in his big brother's arms, his curly head resting on Hoss' shoulder, a look of contentment on his baby's sleeping face. "Joseph!" Ben rushed forward, eagerly reaching out for his youngest son. Little Joe bolted upright, the longing for his Pa turning into joy when he saw Ben reaching out for him.

"Pa!" Joe screeched, leaning forward to be taken into his Pa's arms. Ben grabbed his son and held him tightly to his chest. "Joe, Little Joe, I'm so happy you're safe. I'm so happy." Ben allowed his tears to mingle with his laughter as he hugged his son tightly, rocking him back and forth. Joe buried his face in his Pa's neck and cried. Adam stood beside his Pa and gently rubbed his little brother's back.

"Thank God!" Ben heard Jack and Mac say. Ben lifted up Joe's face and wiped away his youngest son's tears. "It's all right, Joseph." He brushed back his hair and frowned at the bruise on the boy's pale face. He traced it lightly with his finger. "What happened?" He asked softly.

Joe sniffed and wiped his eyes and nose on his sleeve. "I fell." His Pa continued to study the injury. "Mac cleaned it for me."

"Is that so?"

"And Lionel protected me from the bear that was Hoss."

Ben lifted his eyebrows and looked over at Hoss. His middle son grinned. "Long story, Pa." Ben looked into Joe's eyes. The green eyes were a little dull, red rimmed, but they still held the sparkle that was so uniquely Joe. There wasn't a trace of underlying fear or trauma. Ben smiled broadly. Little Joe would be just fine. "I was scared when I heard you scream, son."

Joe smiled shyly. "I thought it was going to eat me but it was only Lionel. He saw me trip."

"Eat you?" Jack couldn't help but ask.

Joe looked over his shoulder at Jack and smiled. "I guess they know you're not my Pa."

Jack smiled, noticing the bruise appearing on Mac's face. "I reckon they did." Mac was looking at Joe with a deep frown etched on his face. "You're mad at me?" Joe said softly, tears evident in his voice. He leaned into his Pa's embrace and looked into Mac's eyes.

"Yes!" Mac answered sharply. "You could've gotten yourself hurt or killed. I told you to stay with us, we'd get you back to your Pa."

"I know," Joe whispered. "I didn't want you to get locked up or hung."

"Joe we ain't gonna hang them," Hoss said, ruffling his brother's head. "Don't you go fretting about that any."

"Your brother's right," Lionel piped in. "We'll be all right."

Joe gazed up at his father. Ben could see the trust and adoring faith of his youngest in him. Little Joe believed his Pa could set this right. "Did they harm you on purpose, Joseph?"

"No, sir."

"Did they treat you bad?"

"No, Pa, they were good to me. Lionel gave me his coat, so did Mac, and they made sure I stayed pretty dried and Mac told me a story last night about pirates. The thunder was too loud to sleep."

Ben smiled softly at Joe. "And I know they are sorry."

"Every since Lionel showed me what he did," Mac said. "I've been sorry too since I showed Mac what I done," Lionel added. An impish grin lit Joe's face. "And they said I could kick them if it made me feel better."

Ben laughed, his worry and anger fading. "Is that right?"

Adam ambled over to Mac and kicked him. Hoss started toward the man, grinning broadly. "I reckon I owe you one."

****

Little Joe sighed heavily and wiggled around on the bedroll trying to find a good spot to fall asleep between Pa and Adam. They had both drifted off to sleep an hour ago but Joe just couldn't get his mind or body to rest even after he counted the stars. He sat up and stared at the fire. He was happy Pa had decided to let the Harris brothers go with a stern warning and threat about taking what didn't belong to them. But still he couldn't help but think about what could've happened. Joe stared at Jack who was awake and staring up at the stars. He wondered what kind of wish Jack was making.

Jack felt eyes on him and raised himself up to spot Little Joe looking at him. He could read the expressive eyes even in the dark. "Can't sleep?" Jack sat up and motioned for Little Joe to join him. Little Joe carefully stood so he didn't wake up Adam or Pa and walked around the campfire to sit by Jack. Ben felt the movements and started to get up, Jack caught his eye and nodded. "Pa," Ben heard Adam whisper. "It's okay, son, he's with Jack." Adam gave him a slight evil eye and muttering closed his eyes to go back to sleep.

"Something troubling you, Little Joe?" Jack asked, turning sideways to get eye contact with the boy.

Joe sighed. "It's my fault," he whispered. Jack looked at the boy with confusion clouding his dark eyes. "Your fault?"

"If I hadn't been in the alley trying to put the mice in your place, Lionel wouldn't have grabbed me, then Pa, Adam and Hoss wouldn't have been worried, and you wouldn't have had to come and pretend you're my Pa. Then Lionel and Mac wouldn't have had to think about getting hung." The words rushed from Little Joe.

"If I have to pretend to be anyone's Pa, I'm glad it was you." Jack grinned at him and nodded toward Hoss and Adam. "Those two are kind of boring." Joe giggled. "And going by your reasoning, it couldn't be your fault...it has to be mine. I could've let them have the pay."

"But you thought you were doing the right thing." Joe sighed and wiped away a lone tear. "I'm not gonna pull pranks again ever."

Jack shook his head sadly. "That's a might troubling thought, Joe. Who's going to liven up Eagle Station?" Joe's eyes were still troubled. Jack picked up a small rock and tossed it at the fire. "Heck, if I'd known all this was going to happen...I'd let you set those mice loose in the Hotel."

Joe giggled at what that would've looked like. "Really."

Jack smiled. "Sure would. We have a long ride tomorrow, you should get some sleep."

"I know, but I just ain't tired."

"How about a story?"

"You know how to tell stories?"

Jack laughed gruffily. "Come on kid, it ain't that hard to make up stuff."

"Okay," Joe scooted closer to Jack. "Can it be about pirates?"

"Pirates...excitement some danger, and swashbuckling, mighty fine choice Little Joe." Jack began a story about Captain Joseph and his first mate Ben. Within a few minutes, he could feel Joe's weight leaning against him. Carefully, he picked Joe up and carried him over to Ben, who sat up waiting to take his sleeping child into his arms.

"Thanks, Jack," Ben whispered.

Jack grunted a reply and returned to his bedroll.

Ben laid Joe between him and Adam and covered him up. He kissed his son's forehead. As he drifted to sleep he could've sworn he heard Adam snort and say he could've made up a better story than Jack.

****

"You know Pa, it just don’t seem right," Hoss said, looking at the back of Jack Wolf who rode ahead of the Cartwrights.

"What?" Ben asked, a smile on his face. Breakfast at camp that morning had been a more cheerful routine then the previous day. Little Joe had bounced around them telling of his adventures as they packed up to head for home. Jack was the only one grumbling that morning, as Joe’s endless energy seemed to annoy him.

"Jack got to keep his money…"

Adam threw a sharp look at Hoss. "You expected us to hand them the money after what they did." Instinctively, Adam tightened his grip around his little brother’s waist who was riding double in front of him. Joe looked up, his green concerned filled gaze catching Adam’s. Adam sighed, leaning forward to drop a kiss on his brother’s forehead then smiled brightly at the boy. Joe didn’t need to be worrying about the Harris brothers any more. Joe grinned and snuggled his back against Adam’s chest.

"Well, no," Hoss admitted. "But dang it, Jack shouldn’t be keeping it neither. It’s his fault it all happened."

"He didn’t mean it Hoss," Joe said, leaning over to look at his brother. Adam braced Joe with his arm and pushed on his side to get him to straighten up.

"Joseph!" Ben scolded.

"Sorry, Pa." Joe sat in the saddle correctly.

"Hoss," Ben said soothingly. "I understand your feelings, son, but Jack really wasn’t at fault. And Lionel Harris really hadn’t meant to do any harm to Joe."

"I know that Pa but it just don’t sit right with me. Joe was kidnapped and had to be scared, we were worried, and the Harris’ didn’t get the money they were owed but Jack, heck ain’t no lesson he learned."

"I agree with you there brother," Adam said, resting his chin on Little Joe’s head.

"Teaching Jack a lesson isn’t for us to do. I don’t think Jack was very happy how that incident turned out and I think he suffered a little."

Adam and Hoss looked at each and rolled their eyes.

"Pa’s right," Little Joe said. "Jack told me if he could’ve he’d let me put those mice in his hotel after all."

"When he say that?" Hoss asked.

"Before he told me a story."

"He told you a story." Hoss looked at Adam with a questioning gaze.

Adam shrugged, deliberately trying not to look at Hoss. He didn’t want Hoss to see that it bothered him that his little brother went to Jack last night to find some solace over his concerns. Adam would’ve been glad to talk and tell Joe a story.

Ben smiled, noticing the tense way Adam sat in his saddle after Joe mentioned Jack and the story. He did believe his oldest was feeling a little jealous and territorial over his baby brother. Last night, Jack Wolf and his words could only relieve Joe’s guilt over the whole matter. Ben choked back a laugh remembering the lighthearted giggle coming from his youngest son as Jack mentioned the mice. Ben brought his horse to a stop; a grin slowly spreading across his face.

Hoss and Adam stopped their mounts when they noticed Pa wasn’t riding beside them anymore. They turned to see Ben looking at them, a huge grin plastered across his face. "Well boys, on careful thinking I do believe you’re right. Doesn’t seem fair Jack didn’t get put through a little more misery."

Hoss grinned. He didn’t know what was planned but the wicked delight on his Pa’s face said this was going to be good. He couldn’t remember the last time Pa helped them play a prank. "What you have in mind?"

Ben smiled at his sons, Little Joe and Adam both grinning not caring what they would do just thrilled that their Pa was going to be the source of the mischief. Adam figured this day would be a good one to remember for his own future plans, a nice reminder to give Pa of being the example. "Well, Pa."

"Yeah, Pa, well," Joe said, squirming excitedly in the saddle.

"All I’m going to say for now is we need some mice." Ben started a trot toward Eagle Station. Hoss laughed and went after Ben.

Giggling, Little Joe looked up at Adam his pleasure clearly showing in his eyes. "We’re going to find some mice." Adam laughed. "Looks like it little brother." Joe sighed in contentment and leaned back against Adam. "It’ll take us awhile to get back." Little Joe peered up carefully at Adam, his eyes searching his brother’s face for the hint of what had put him in a kinda grumpy mood.

"Yes, why are you asking Little Joe."

"I was hoping there’d be time for a story."

"How about one about pirates?"

"I’d like that," Joe answered, getting comfortable against Adam. "You tell the best stories."

Adam grinned broadly and began his tale about the swashbuckling Cartwrights on the high seas.

****

Ben and the boys hitched their horses to the post and gathered together in a circle to finalize their plans.

"First, I’ll take Joe over to Ruth and Eli’s so they know he’s safe," Ben said.

"Ruth is probably worrying about him something fierce," Hoss agreed.

"You think she is worrying that much?" Joe asked, his face scrunching up in concern.

Adam kneeled down and hugged Joe. He didn’t want his baby brother to think about the kidnapping anymore. Even though the men had turned out to be decent as far as kidnappers went, he knew the incident still troubled his youngest brother. "Naw, Joe, I bet Ruth is probably pretty unhappy and ready to clobber them with her pan."

Joe pictured the image in his mind. Lionel running as hard as he could saying "I don’t mean no harm", Aunt Ruth chasing after him smacking her pan on top of his head, Mac shouting out, "I knew you’d get a thrashing" and Uncle Eli giving Mac a good swift kick. Little Joe laughed at his image.

"What do you need us to do, Pa?" Hoss asked between his laughter. There was something about Little Joe’s giggle that always started him laughing.

"Go round up some mice." Ben grinned, sweeping Little Joe into his arms and onto his shoulders. Adam and Hoss saluted him and ran toward the livery, the place they obviously thought would be a fine place to discover mice.

Ben walked to the general store with a bounce in his step, causing the delight filled laughter of his youngest to continue. Ben saw Ruth stick her head out the door and search around Eagle Station. Her eyes fell on him and Joe and her face turned radiant at the sight. "Little Joe!" Lifting up her skirts, she hurried toward Ben and Joe. Ben lifted Joe down from his shoulders and placed him on the ground. Little Joe ran and threw his arms around Ruth’s waist.

She hugged the little boy and kissed him. "Come, I have a treat for you."

Ben smiled. "You don’t have too."

"Not anything to do with have," Ruth scolded him, taking Joe by the hand into the store.

Ben followed them in, still smiling. Just having Little Joe safe with them made this day one of the best in a long time.

"Eli," Ruth sang. "Look who I have."

Eli beamed. "Joseph." He walked around the counter and hugged the boy. He pulled one of the candy jars toward Little Joe and took off the top. "Would you like some?"

Little Joe chewed on his bottom lip and looked at his Pa for permission. Ruth reached in and gathered up a large number of pieces. "Of course, he would." She placed them in a bag and handed them to him. She pulled Joe into a tight hug and rocked him back and forth. "I’m so happy you are now safe." She lifted Joe’s chin up and gazed into his eyes. "You are fine."

"Yes, Aunt Ruth." Joe smiled, happy that no tears sprang into his eyes. He didn’t want her to worry about him anymore.

Ben heard a shriek coming from outside the General Store, he heard Joe’s breathing quicken and felt his son grip his hand tightly. Eli and Ruth closed around Little Joe. Ruth’s eyes blazing flames, she picked up the candy jar, ready to turn it into a weapon. "Stay here for a moment," Ben said calmly to Joe.

Ben walked to the door and looked out to see Margaret holding her skirts up and dancing around. He looked down and saw white, fury rodents scurrying around her feet. Ben scooped Margaret up into her arms. Her shriek this time had a quality of breathlessness and her cheeks turned a bright pink. "Joe! I found them!" Ben called. "Hurry son." Joe scurried out, grinning widely. "Where Pa? Where?"

Ben pointed. "There!" Joe saw a tail sticking out from behind a barrel. "What do I put ‘em in?" Ben held Maggie in one arm for a moment and whipped off his hat tossing it to Little Joe. "Hurry, son."

"I got them, I got them." Joe reassured his Pa, crawling on the ground to capture the first mouse. He scrambled around near his father’s legs to grab another white mouse. Joe beamed up at his Pa. "I got them."

A boyish grin filled Ben’s face. "Good job, son!" He gently placed Maggie on the ground and titled his head at her goodbye. "Nice seeing you, Maggie." Ben grabbed Joe under one arm and started running. "Let’s get your brothers." Joe laughed, clutching his Pa’s hat closed in his hands to stop the critters from escaping.

****

"I don’t know, Pa," Adam said, skeptical eyes focused on Ben.

"Come on, Adam," Ben encouraged, giving his oldest son a push toward the saloon girl standing on the porch of the hotel. "Just ask her."

"Why would she?"

"Cause you tried to save her," Hoss said.

"Cause she thinks you’re cute," Joe giggled, quickly covering his mouth.

Adam glared at Joe. Joe’s green eyes holding a look of pure innocence blinked rapidly. Adam sighed and rolled his eyes. He stared up at the sky trying to will himself not to cave. He loved this plan on teaching Jack a lesson, he was enjoying this prank being planned and orchestrated by his father, but he didn’t want to be the instigator…mainly the instigator that had to ask a saloon girl to put some mice in a moneybox.

"Come on, Adam, don’t be such a big chicken," Little Joe taunted.

"Yeah," Hoss added. "Don’t be a chicken."

Adam glared at his brothers, swatting Hoss on the head with his hat. "I’m not chicken. Pa tell them."

Ben looked directly into his son’s eyes. "Don’t be a chicken, Adam."

Little Joe burst into laughter. Hoss clamped his hand over Joe’s mouth to muffle the sounds. Hoss felt his little brother grow rigid for a moment. Hoss quickly removed his hand and pulled Little Joe back to rest against him. He smoothed Joe’s hair back. "Sorry," Hoss whispered, not wanting to alert his Pa or Adam. Joe gazed up at him and gave him a shaky smile. Hoss smiled back, winked and crossed his eyes. Joe grinned.

Adam had witnessed the small exchange between his younger brothers. He grabbed the hat housing the mice and walked toward the woman. He still wasn’t wild about being the one to do the talking but he’d do anything to replace the fear Joe had unwittingly suffered at the two idiots with a memory filled with laughter, joy and togetherness. Adam tipped his hat at the pretty saloon girl. "Excuse me, ma’am."

The woman grinned broadly at Adam and leaned back to thrust her upper body out. "No need to go excusing yourself." She winked at him. "Why don’t you stay awhile?" She batted her eyelashes at him.

Adam contained his groan to inside his head. Pa and Hoss are going to be at the end of a good prank by the end of the week, Adam vowed. "I was wondering if you could do me a favor ma’am."

"Call me Taffy." Her smile turned coy and she twirled the boa draped across her shoulders. "What can I do for you?"

"Are you afraid of mice, ma’am. I mean Taffy." He asked. Her eyes narrowed, her mouth drawing down in suspicion. "It’s a prank…on Jack."

Taffy tapped her high heeled foot on the wooden porch. "Trying to get me fired."

"No, Taffy," Adam gave her one of his most charming smiles. "Just wanting to get even with Jack." He placed his arm around her shoulders and turned her to look at Ben, Hoss and Little Joe peeking around the side of the building. Joe wiggled his fingers hello at her and beamed at her. Adam watch as Taffy’s face and gazed soften.

"Ohh…isn’t he the sweetest thing." She smiled at Adam. "Is that your brother?"

Adam nodded. "Yes, Taffy, that’s my baby brother and because of Jack not paying those Harris brothers they went yesterday and took him."

Taffy gasped, raising a hand to her mouth. She strained her eyes to get a good look at Joe. "Is he okay?"

"Yes, fortunately they had no interest in hurting him. But they scared the poor little boy. And well, just seems Jack should feel some discomfort."

A determined look blossomed on Taffy’s face. "I should say so. What’s your plan?"

"We figured to put the mice in Jack’s moneybox. If they stay in there for awhile they’ll probably nibble some bills and um…well..um…"

Taffy giggled. "Leave some deposits."

Adam grinned at her. "Yeah."

She took Ben’s hat from Adam. "I’d be more than happy too."

****

"You ever giving change back?" A man yelled at Jack as he walked into the hotel.

"Excuse me?"

"I’ve been waiting for my change."

Jack sighed deeply. Couldn’t anyone do their job without the boss reminding them? "Lila!"

Lila walked over to Jack, having to leave her very interested customer alone and annoyed. "Yes, sir?"

"This man is tired of waiting for his chance."

"Well we don’t have any." Lila crossed her arms.

"Don’t have any?"

"The money tin is still in your office. We’ve all been instructed to stay out or else get shoot. Nobody here is willing to get shoot to give change."

"I took it out when I arrived."

Lila sighed and shrugged. "Then it grew legs and walked back in." Lila spun around and shaking her hips walked back to her customer who was starting to allow his eye to rove.

Jack was going to shout at her, he couldn’t allow his employees to talk to him like that but he wasn’t willing to test the patience of Ben Cartwright. After having checked in at the livery and answering Dan’s hundred questions, he noticed Ben and his boys sitting outside Shelby’s place drinking sarsaparillas. Little Joe was on his Pa’s lap looking very content, calm but tired. Jack wasn’t about to start a fight with anyone in case it turned heated like many of his conversations did. Grumbling, Jack went to his office and collected the money tin.

"This is the slowest…"

Jack raised his hand to stop the man’s complaints. "Sorry, sir, I’ll adjust your bill." Jack opened up the money tin, reached inside and cursed. "How the hell!"

The man standing near Jack peered inside and jumped backwards, crashing into Lila and her "man". "You clumsy oaf!" Lila screamed, toppling backwards. Lila’s man punched the other man to defend his current companion. The man fell against Jack. Jack lost hold of the box and the tin clattered to the floor, the mice scampering out. Lila screamed and climbed into the arms of her man. Jack cursed, took his hat off and scanned the room to locate the mice.

Taffy let out a loud terrifying scream and dropped the plate of drinks she carried on four customers and their poker game. Taffy stepped onto one player’s lap and then onto the table. Screaming, she tap danced around the table, begging that they save her from the awful creatures. A player noticed the mice, threw done his cards with a scream and joined Taffy on the table, clinging to her in fear and desperation.

"Damnation!" Jack shouted. "Help catch these things." He pointed at the bartender. "Grab the money."

"There’s mice droppings on it, I’m not touching that!" The bartender scrambled onto the bar.

"Damnation!" Jack grabbed hold of a white tail and deposited the mouse into his hat. He better not find mouse droppings in his hat or whoever did this would be hurting…very soon.

****

A scream carried across the street from Jack’s Hotel to the Cartwrights lounging in front of Shelby’s Saloon. Little Joe jumped up from his Pa’s lap and stood at the edge of the walkway, he wished he could go across the street and peek inside. He sighed longingly and turned his wishful face to his Pa. "Can we?" He pointed.

Ben had wanted to stay out of the way of the customers and out of the way of Jack. But the hopefully expression filling Little Joe’s face made Ben reconsider. He was sure they could escape fairly easily and if not…there were four of them. Ben grinned and took hold of Joe’s hand. "Let’s go." The Cartwrights ran across the street along with other town members and looked inside the hotel. A few women and men were standing on the bar and on tables, appearing as if Jack Wolf had hired a group of dancers to do a tap dance on the furniture. Little Joe started a giggle that soon reached out and spread to everyone witnessing the event in Jack’s place. Jack Wolf was crawling on the ground, muttering words that Ben was positive were curses as he chased after two white mice. A few of Jack’s employees were trying to help while others were just watching the melee explode around them and tried to keep out of the way.

Ben jumped back, tugging Joe with him as a large group of people fled from the Hotel, trying to find safety and less confusion outside. Hoss quickly scooped his little brother up and put him on his shoulders. Hoss was afraid the little boy would get trampled. Jack grabbed a mouse and dropped it into his hat. Hearing the laughter, Jack looked over his shoulder to see Ben, Adam and Hoss with Little Joe on his shoulders. Jack’s eyes narrowed on them. Ben saw the evil glare being directed at them. Jack stood up.

"Run!" Adam called out, heading back across to the saloon where Shelby and Big Dan were watching with great amusement the hysteria developing from some mice. Ben followed behind Adam, checking over his shoulder to see if Jack was catching up to them. Hoss, even with extra weight on his shouders, outran them both and reached safety first. He lifted Joe down and leaned over to clutch his stomach that hurt from his non-stop laughter.

"Look! Look!" Joe danced around, his light giggling laugher filling the town.

Ben stopped in front of his sons and turned around, he watched Jack Wolf come toward them with an angry scowl and his hands clenched at his sides.

"He don’t look happy." Shelby said, her amusement clear in her voice.

"Nope," Hoss agreed. Taking little steps to follow Joe and stand behind Pa.

Jack spotted Joe peeking out from behind Ben. He pointed at the young boy. "You put those mice in there didn’t you!"

Joe wrapped his arms around his Pa’s waist, his head appearing from behind Ben’s back. "No, Sir."

Jack’s glare focused on Hoss. "Not me, Jack."

"Nor me," Adam said, before Jack’s eyes could come to him.

Jack’s eyes opened wide and he fixed the now questioning gaze on Ben.

Ben smiled broadly. "I didn’t either Jack."

Jack let out a loud breath of frustration. "You all are telling me that you knew nothing about those mice getting into my hotel."

Little Joe stepped out from behind his Pa and looked up at Jack with wide innocent eyes. "Mr. Wolf, we just said we didn’t do it…you never asked us ‘bout knowing." Joe blinked after every few words, a shy smile on his face.

Jack started to speak, stammered, the corners of his mouth twitching. "Da…Crying out loud!" Jack turned away and stomped back to the hotel. Ben grinned at his boys and they all broke out into laughter.

"What do you say we go home now boys." Ben clapped Adam and Hoss on the back.

"First one to Beauty rides her!" Joe shouted, darting across the street toward the horses and buckboard.

"You can’t call her!" Adam shouted at his youngest brother. Hoss’ deep laughter trailed after Adam. Grinning, Adam turned and pointed for Hoss to grab hold of Joe’s right hand. Joe’s eyes opened in concern as Adam grabbed his left hand and Hoss grabbed his right. He caught Adam’s eyes. His oldest brother smiled at him. "Jump!" Joe jumped into the air and Hoss and Adam used the momentum to help swing him into the air.

Adam’s rough laughter mingled with Joe’s infectious giggle and Hoss’ deep laugh. Things sure have change, Adam thought, watching his baby brother throw his head back in utter delight. Joe’s legs, feet and boots reached toward the clouds. When he was twelve it was safe to ride to town on his horse, to wander alone but not now. He vowed to keep a better eye on Little Joe...to keep him out of mischief and safe.

"Let’s toss him to the moon, Adam." Hoss instructed as Little Joe jumped up again so he could be swung. Hoss watched Little Joe's green eyes glow with happiness and joy as his young body became airborne. Hoss' heart squeezed in pain at the thought that swinging Joe might not have happened again. He gripped Joe's hand tighter "Let's do it again!" Joe nodded, unable to speak, breathless from his laughter. Adam's pleasure filled grin agreed with the plan. "Jump, Joe." This is how it will be from now on, Hoss vowed, hanging tightly to his little brother. Ain't nobody gonna hurt him again.

Little Joe’s heart filled with happiness at the playfulness of his brothers. Lately they had been nothing but two grown ups. I’m glad they didn’t forget how to have fun, Joe thought, jumping as high as he could. He enjoyed the wind in his face as his brother's swung him high into the air. He liked to think that he could kick the clouds in the sky, knock that old hot sun right down. Joe grinned. And he had shown them; he showed his Pa and brothers that he could take of himself. No Sir, they didn't have to worry about him anymore. He was definitely a man. He got out of the clutches of the Harris brothers without getting hurt with no trouble. They'd have to let him ride to town now, let him explore just a little bit further then before. Yep, he could take of himself just fine. Joe giggled as his brothers swung him back up into the air.

A tender smiled radiated across Ben's face as he watched his three boys. Joe's infectious giggle, Adam's laugh that starts out hesitant but fills the world with a strong joy, Hoss’ from the belly unconscious sounds of utter joy. Thank God all his children were safe. Thank you God for keeping Little Joe safe, keeping him trusting and believing in good, Ben said silently, eyes drifting toward the sky. Eagle Station was growing fast. There would be more people coming and going. More chances for people without a conscience to come in contact with his children; especially his most vulnerable, his baby, Little Joe. They might not be so lucky next time, the men might not be kind hearted and foolish...just mean and cruel. Times had changed since Adam was that age, even from when Hoss was that age...but Hoss had also been a big child, already having the features of a man. Joe was an innocent child, and appeared to be an easy target to some who wished to do harm. No his baby would be kept close by from now on. Adam, Hoss, and I, Ben thought, are going to have to keep Little Joe safe near us.

Ben ran up to his sons and caught Joe during the back swing. He hugged Little Joe close, ignoring his wiggles to be put down. Ben maneuvered Joe onto his hip to hold his baby better. Ben squeezed his older sons’ shoulders affectionately with his free hand. He shared a smile with the oldest boys; "Let's go home boys."