I’ll Be Fine

By Marion

 

Rated PG-13. Warning: this is not a light-hearted story. Bad things happen to those we love in the story. A word of caution to our British members – Annie's uncle Pat is a refugee from the Irish Famine. He's not a fan of the English…

 

"You want me to do what?" Annie Cartwright turned to her cousin Hoss in dismay.

"Ya gotta reach in and unwrap the cord around the calf's neck. If the calf is born like that, it'll likely be strangled. My hands are too big. You're the only one that can do it."

"I couldn't." Annie looked like she would be sick.

"Annie, it'll die if you don't." Hoss was gentle, but his tone was insistent. He couldn't bear the thought of the calf dying.

Annie swallowed deeply, then did exactly what he told her to do. When the calf was born, just a few minutes later, Annie looked at Hoss with wonder. "Did I do it?"

Hoss whooped. "You sure did, Annie. Look at this calf!" Hoss turned and saw his father watching from the corral fence. "Did you see Annie, Pa?"

"I certainly did. You did very well, Annie."

Annie glowed with pleasure at her uncle's words. His words of praise meant more than anything else to her. She took the rag he handed her to wipe her hands and held them out as he poured water from the canteen to clean them.

"I thought you were with Joe today."

"I was. He and Mitch decided to go swimming. They asked me to go." She smiled at Ben's raised eyebrow. "I wondered what you would say if you saw me swimming in my petticoats with them but I decided I really didn't want to know."

He winked. "Good choice." Ben put his arm around Annie and they headed over to the horses. Hoss, satisfied that the mother and her calf would be fine, followed behind. After all, it was almost lunchtime.

 

 

Adam was sharpening an axe when he looked up at the sound of a horse riding into the yard. Adam stopped what he was doing and stood, brushing dirt from his pants and wiping his hands on a rag.

"Hello. May I help you?"

"Good day, lad. Would this be the house of Benjamin Cartwright?"

"Yes, Benjamin Cartwright is my father. I'm Adam Cartwright. My father's not here right now, but I expect him at anytime."

The stranger dismounted. He was shorter than Adam by almost a head and he had the reddest hair that Adam had ever seen. He held out his hand. "I'm Padraig McLaughlin of County Mayo, but you can call me Pat. 'Tis not actually your da I'm looking for, but rather a little lass that's in his care."

Adam shifted uncomfortably. "Do you mean Annie? Why do you want her?"

The stranger's response was lost by the sounds of horses racing into the yard. Hoss and Annie were neck in neck until the last minute, when Annie pulled ahead. She whooped and raised her arms in triumph. Ben was following behind, shouting at Annie to keep her hands on the reins. All three riders pulled up short at the sight of a stranger in the yard.

Ben dismounted and handed the reins to Hoss, who had also dismounted. Ben looked at Adam expectantly.

"Pa, this gentleman is looking for Annie."

Annie looked up at the mention of her name. The stranger stared at her and smiled.

"Sure, and it's like looking at Katie again." He shook himself and turned to Ben, extending his hand. "I'm sorry, sir, to act so. I'm Padraig McLaughlin, my sister married your brother. I'm Annie's Uncle Pat."

Ben smiled and extended his hand. "Welcome to the Ponderosa, Padraig. I've been expecting you."

 

An hour later, the whole family sat around the table, eating lunch. Annie couldn't keep her eyes off her new uncle. The only people she had ever known who knew her mother were her father, Uncle Ben, Adam and Hoss. Now here was someone who knew her mother best of all, except for her father, and he had never spoken of her much. She couldn't wait to hear what Uncle Pat had to say.

"So, Padraig, what brings you to Eagle Station?"

The Irishman smiled. "Annie, of course. But I think, Benjamin, that what you mean to ask is 'what brings me to America.' The same thing that's bringing a lot of my countrymen this way – famine. Famine in Ireland and gold in California."

Ben nodded. He had heard about the famine and gold fever was a common enough story. He felt it was a siren song, but he didn't say anything. He had no desire to add to the pain he could see in Pat's eyes.

Annie leaned forward. "Famine? What do you mean, Uncle Pat?" She said 'Uncle Pat' slowly, as though she couldn't believe she should say it. But he just shook his head.

"Those are sad tales, not meant for young ears at lunch. Let's just say I'm glad to meet my sister's child and to see dear Eddie's family."

"You knew my father, too?"

"Of course, lass. I was there when he courted your mother." Her eyes went wide and Ben smiled over at her. He could tell how excited she was.

"Mr. McLaughlin, have you been lucky finding gold?" Joe's eyes were bright with the thought of adventure.

"Please lad, call me Pat." Joe's eyes slid to his father, who shook his head slightly. Pat caught the look. "Uncle Pat, then? It'll be good to know I've more kin in this world." Ben nodded. "No, Joe, I've not started my looking yet. I wanted to see Annie before I did anything else."

"Uncle Pat?" Annie looked at him. "I thought my mother had two brothers, you and Uncle Seamus. Where's he?"

Padraig sighed. "Lass, maybe we could move to the sofa and I'll tell you the tale you need to know, with your Uncle Benjamin's permission." Ben stood, and with a look sent his sons outside. Annie deserved to hear this without them. He moved to the chair near the sofa, unwilling to let her alone when she heard what he guessed was a tragic tale. Annie sat next to Uncle Pat.

"Well, Annie, there's no easy telling of this tale, I'm afraid. Your grandfather, your mother's da, died a few years after she left. Did you know that?" Annie nodded. "Well, your grandmother died a few years ago." Pat didn't add that she had died of starvation. "Then your Uncle Seamus took up arms against the English. He was captured when the uprising failed and he was transported to Van Dieman's Land. I don't know if he's dead or alive." Ben winced when he heard that. He had been to Van Dieman's Land years ago, when he was still sailing and it was a frightening place.

"Why did Uncle Seamus fight the English?"

Pat tried to keep the rancor from his voice, but he wasn't entirely successful. "Because the bast…because the English are exporting food whilst the people of Ireland die of starvation. Seamus didn't think that was right." Annie's eyes went wide.

"I thought Papa told me you were married." Annie knew that her father had somehow kept contact with her mother's family and he occasionally got news of them.

"I was. She died. So did the children." Pat's tone was flat and didn’t invite questions. "But now I'm here, and I see you. I see your mother in you, Annie. She was a wondrous woman."

"Tell me about her and Papa." But Ben held up his hand.

"You have chores to do, Annie. Adam is expecting your help. Let me talk to your uncle alone for a while." Annie looked like she wanted to protest, but Ben shook his head slightly and she stopped. Ben wanted to talk to her but he need to talk to Padraig first.

"Don't worry, lass. I'll stay a while and tell you all the tales you want to hear."

Pat turned to Ben as Annie left the house. "She's her mother's daughter, she is. Except Katie would have argued about chores and when she lost she would have slammed the door on her way out."

Ben laughed. "Annie was about to argue, but she's finally learning that's not a good idea. And, she just got her bedroom door back after a month of doing without because she slammed it and locked me out. She's been closing doors a lot more quietly lately."

"Hah – she is her mother's daughter then!" Pat laughed and then frowned. "Ben, I hope you're not angry with me for telling her about the family. I tried to be gentle, but it's not an easy tale."

"No, she's old enough to know the truth and it is her family. So, Padraig, how long will you stay with us? Abel let me know you were coming, but I didn't tell Annie."

"I'll stay long enough to get to know Annie, I think, and to tell her the tales she wants to hear. Don't worry, Benjamin, I'm not here to lay claim to her as my own. I'll not interfere with your raising of her."

Ben shook his head. "I wasn't worried about that. I am pleased that Annie will get to know something about her mother. I only met your sister for a little while, and I think Eddie didn't talk about her much. Annie will be thrilled to hear your tales. You're family and you're welcome to stay as long as you want."

 

The family had finished dinner and was settling by the fireplace. Although it was technically spring, the evenings were still chilly enough to warrant a small fire. Annie sat on the floor in front of her new-found uncle.

"Uncle Pat? Tell me a story about my mother, please?"

"Not tonight, lass, I'm still tired from my travels. Tomorrow, I promise."

Adam looked at his cousin's disappointed face. "Hey, Annie, Mrs. Greene sent over a new Youth's Companion. There's a story, do you want me to read it?"

Annie and Joe both nodded eagerly and they settled on the floor in front of Adam. Pat and Hoss sat on the sofa and Ben sat opposite Adam. Hop Sing sat at the table writing a letter, although he put his pen down when Adam started the story.

Adam read for about an hour. Ben was amazed at how still Annie and Joe sat, then realized it was all due to Adam's storytelling. He had the whole family enthralled.

The spell was broken when Adam set down the paper. "That's it?" Joe sat up in protest.

"Says 'to be continued' Joe. We'll just have to wait until the next issue.

Annie started rifling through the pile of papers on the floor. "That can't be it. I bet we have the next issue right here."

Hoss shook his head. "Nope, Tess told me this was the latest issue her ma had."

Annie started to get mad. "But I want to know what happens next!" Ben smiled at the look on her face. Adam just shook his head.

"You know what they say, Annie, patience is a virtue."

"Who?"

Adam was confused. "Who, what?"

"Who said something so dumb as 'patience is a virtue.'? I think you made that up."

"Annie, it's just a saying."

"Well, it's just about the stupidest saying I ever heard!" Joe nodded his agreement with what Annie was saying.

"Annie, just think, you have all this time to look forward to the next part."

"Adam, I do not want to 'look forward to' the next part, I want to READ the next part." Annie spoke slowly as though Adam was too stupid to understand.

"Well, you don't have much of a choice, do you?" Adam knew why Annie was speaking slowly and he was starting to lose his patience. "You have to wait until the author and Youth's Companion decide to publish the next part. And who knows, maybe Mrs. Greene won't get that issue and you'll never know what happened."

Annie took a deep breath to reply, but Ben had had enough. He could see where this was heading. "Annie, I say patience is a virtue." He almost smiled as she looked defeated. "You know, I think it's time for you two to go to bed." He winked at Padraig, who had been grinning the whole time he was watching the interchange between Adam and Annie. Annie and Joe said good night and shuffled off to bed.

 

Annie settled into bed that evening after saying her prayers and waited for Uncle Ben to come to check on her. She had something to ask him, and she didn't want to ask him in front of everyone. She didn't have long to wait.

"Good night, Annie." He bent over to kiss her, but she sat up before he could.

"Uncle Ben, I have a question for you." He sat on the bed and looked at her patiently. "What did you mean when you said you were expecting Uncle Pat?"

Ben sighed, he was waiting for this question, and for the argument that he knew would follow. "When your uncle came from Ireland, he landed in Boston. He knew of Adam's grandfather, Captain Stoddard, from stories your father had told, and from a letter your mother had written. When Padraig couldn't get a job in Boston, he went to Abel and showed him the letter from your mother. Abel told him that your father had died, and that you were living here and Padraig decided he wanted to see you. Abel helped secure him a berth as a sailor on a ship coming to California. He wrote to me to tell Padraig was coming. I decided not to tell you, just in case something happened on the way."

Annie leaned back, arms crossed and her eyes narrowed, just as Ben knew she would. He braced himself for the argument.

"You should have told me he was coming."

Ben raised an eyebrow. "I don't think it is for you to tell me what I should and should not do, Annie." But Annie didn't back down.

"You had no right to keep that from me." Annie was getting angry.

Ben struggled to keep his own anger in check. He raised his finger in caution. "You would do well to remember to whom you are speaking, young lady."

Annie finally realized that she was heading for trouble. "I'm sorry, Uncle Ben. It's just, well, I woulda liked to have known."

"I know, Annie, but you need to trust the decisions I make. I want only to protect you." He picked up her hand. "Annie, you need to know something about your Uncle Pat." Ben had been thinking of everything that Abel had written and wondered how much he should tell Annie. "Padraig's had a very bad couple of years. He lost his entire family, except for you, in the past two years. I'm telling you this because I know you are old enough to understand."

Annie nodded, her eyes filling with tears. "Poor Uncle Pat."

 

By the time Ben left Annie's room, his sons had all gone to bed. Padraig was sitting alone by the fire, lost in his thoughts. He looked up as Ben sat on the chair next to him.

"Those are fine lads you have, Benjamin. I hope you count your blessings."

"Every night, Padraig. I count them every night. Now then, you can sleep in my room, I'll sleep with the boys in the spare bunk."

"I'll not hear of it, Benjamin. Hoss has already taken my bag into their room. Truth be told, I think the lads were relieved that it would be me, not you, sharing their room." He shook his head as Ben started to protest. "Annie's very lucky to have those cousins of hers. They treat her well. She's a fine girl, Benjamin, her mother would be proud to claim her."

"Her father deserves the credit for that. I've just picked up where Ed left off."

"Tis a credit to you that you'd do so. Annie's fortunate to have you to turn to." Padraig pulled something out of his pocket. "Now, Benjamin, I've something to ask you and I hope you'll not get upset. I don’t know how Annie's been raised, I mean as far as religion goes. Her mother of course was Catholic, and if she had lived, I'm sure Annie would have been raised that way."

Ben nodded. "To be honest, I'm not sure where she was baptized but I believe Ed took her to his church in California. Since she came here, she's gone to our church, which is Methodist. There are few priests here in the wilderness."

Ben's face must have shown some concern because Padraig was quick to speak. "I'm not criticizing you or your brother, Benjamin. It's just that I have something of Annie's grandmother's and I'm not sure how you'll feel about it." He held out his hand and Ben saw the rosary he was holding.

"Is that a rosary?"

"Aye, it is. 'Tis the only thing of value I have from my sainted mother and she wanted Annie to have it."

"I have no objection; Annie will treasure it, I know she will. Why did you think I would object?"

Padraig sighed. "Well, Benjamin, I'm hoping you won't think me critical of your countrymen, but Catholics are not exactly welcomed here."

"No, I suppose you're right. One thing I learned while sailing is that the world is made up of people a lot different than me, but that doesn’t make me better or them inferior."

"I see why you've raised such fine lads. Your brother was like that. And your father-in-law. I suppose you know I'd not be here if not for Captain Stoddard."

"Yes, Abel wrote me. I'm glad he could help you." Ben gestured to the rosary. "Give that to Annie with my blessing, Padraig. She's thrilled to have you here."

 

The next morning Ben excused Annie from most of her chores so she could spend time with Padraig. Annie took her uncle to the lake to see her parents' gravestone. They sat on the bench for a while, Padraig telling stories about Katie as a girl, Annie just listening. Finally he pulled out the rosary.

"Annie, this was your grandmother's. She wanted you to have it." He started to explain what it was, and how her grandmother used it.

"I know about rosaries, Uncle Pat. My father's vaqueros and our housekeeper were Catholic and I went to Mass with them sometimes. My father wanted me to understand about my mother."

"Your da was good man, Annie. Katie was very lucky. Anyway, your grandmother asked me to get this to you somehow. It's the only thing of value that I didn't sell to raise money for our passage to America."

"Our passage, Uncle Pat? I thought you came by yourself."

Padraig shook himself. "Did I say our? I meant my passage, of course." He quickly changed the subject and nothing Annie said would get him to talk about his trip to America.

Days went by. Padraig helped Ben and sons around the ranch but he spent most of his time with Annie, telling her stories about her mother and about her father while he lived in Ireland.

One warm afternoon, Hoss came into the house and tossed his gloves and hat on the side table. "Hey, Hop Sing, what's for lunch? I'm starving."

Pat was standing with his back to the door, but spun on his heel at Hoss's words. His face was red with anger. "Starving! You don't know the meaning of the word by the look of you!"

Hoss's jaw dropped. Annie looked up from the plates she was setting on the table. "Uncle Pat! Don't yell at Hoss, he didn't mean anything!" She was so surprised by her uncle's loud voice that her own voice rose in volume.

Pat turned to Annie. "I'll not be yelled at by a slip of a girl. You'd not yell at your Uncle Benjamin that way and get away with it. Go on to your room for the afternoon."

Annie looked from Adam to Hoss to Joe, her lips quivering. "But Uncle Pat, it's lunchtime."

"Not for disrespectful girls it isn't. Go on."

Annie looked at her uncle in disbelief. "But Uncle Pat…" He took a step closer and Annie fled.

No one spoke during lunch, and Hoss left the table as soon as he was done. Adam and Joe glanced at each other and then at Padraig. Adam cleared his throat. "Pat," he said slowly, "Hoss didn't mean anything by what he said. It was just an expression."

Padraig looked shamefaced. "I know, lad. It's just, well, it's been a difficult few years for me. I'll go speak with your brother." Padraig headed outside looking for Hoss. He found him leaning against the corral watching the new horses. Padraig leaned next to Hoss.

"Your father tells me you're a fine judge of horse flesh."

Hoss didn’t even look at Padraig. "Yes, sir." He hesitated and then turned to the older man. "Look, Uncle Pat, I didn't…"

"No lad, I'm the one who owes you an apology. I know you didn't mean anything. I've no excuse for yelling at you and I am sorry." He held out his hand. "I hope you'll forgive me."

Hoss took the hand, gladly. "Yes, sir, but you don't need to apologize. Pa and Adam've told me about what happened in Ireland; they know from the newspapers. I'm real sorry."

"I am, too, lad." Padraig shook himself to clear the melancholy that threatened to overcome him. "Tell you what – why don't you teach me how you tame these wild beasts? If gold mining doesn't work out, maybe I could find work as a ranch hand!"

They were joined first by Adam and later by Joe, although Joe wasn't allowed in the corral while they were riding. They didn't know it, but Annie watched them from her window all afternoon until Ben rode home, shortly before time to start the evening chores.

"So, Hoss, should we be hiring Padraig?" Ben handed the reins to his middle son.

"He's learnin', Pa. He'd be a help if he stayed on."

"Where's Annie? I thought she'd be out here with all of you." Ben knew something was wrong when all three sons looked to Padraig and then headed to the barn, muttering about chores.

Padraig dusted the dirt from his legs. "Well, Benjamin, I'm afraid Annie and I had a wee bit of a spat this afternoon." He proceeded to tell the story, including his apology to Hoss. He could tell that Ben was angry. "Benjamin, I'm sorry if you think I've overstepped me bounds. Perhaps I should have waited for you to deal with her."

"No, Pat, she was disrespectful to you, you were right to punish her. I'm angry because she and I have had many conversations about her tongue and she doesn't seem to listen. I think I'm done talking."

Ben strode into the house, dropped his hat and gloves and headed for Annie's room. He opened the door without knocking. Annie, who had seen him from her window, was already standing, waiting for him. She started to speak, but he held up a finger to stop her.

"Not a word." Ben stood right in front of her and bent slightly to look in her eyes. "You listen to me. We have talked repeatedly about your sass and I have told you I would no longer tolerate it. Do you remember what I said I would do the last time you spoke back to me?" Annie nodded slightly. "Can you give me one good reason that I shouldn't wash your mouth out with soap?"

This wasn't fair, Annie thought. She didn't mean to yell at Uncle Pat, but no one would listen to her. As if this weren't bad enough, she was hungry! Annie's eyes narrowed and she looked at Ben. "Well, at least the soap would be something to eat! Uncle Pa…"

But what Uncle Pat had done was lost in a yelp of pain as Ben grabbed Annie's arm and dragged her out to the kitchen area. He grabbed a bar of soap and stuck it in her mouth. She tried to get away but he held her fast.

"Now then, the next time I hear you raising your voice to me, or to Uncle Pat or to Adam or to Hop Sing or to any other adult that you meet, you will not sit comfortably for a very long time. Do you understand me?"

Annie nodded; she couldn't speak because the soap was still in her mouth. Finally, when Ben was satisfied that he had made his point, he let her rinse her mouth and told her to do her chores.

Annie was angry, as angry as she could ever remember being. She was angry that everybody treated her like a child, she was angry that no one would listen to her, she was angry that everyone could yell at her but she couldn't raise her voice a tiny bit. She was so angry she almost starting slamming the dishes around as she set the table; the only thing that stopped her was that she knew Uncle Ben was still angry with her and if she put down even one plate loudly, he would spank her. Knowing that made her even more angry.

Annie didn't say much during supper, she spoke only when spoken to and her answers were as terse as she dared. When the meal was done, she excused herself to clean the dishes. She had just finishing putting the last dish away when Ben walked up behind her.

"I'll not tolerate sulking, Annie," he said softly. "You know that."

"Yes, sir. I'm done here, may I be excused to bed?"

"I think that would be a good idea." Ben watched as Annie went to her room without speaking to anyone. He knew he should reprimand her for that, too, but he was not in the mood for any more confrontations. He just shook his head and picked up his coffee before heading out to the porch. Padraig was already sitting on the bench admiring the setting sun. He looked up as Ben sat down.

"Benjamin, do you remember ever saying when you were a boy that you would never be as mean to your children as your father was to you?" Ben thought back to a little boy lying on his bed, sobbing that he would never spank his children like he had just been spanked, never, never, never. He smiled at his sons play wrestling by the corral, wondering if they had ever felt the same way. He was sure they had. He was startled from his memories by Padraig's voice.

"Do you remember when you first really punished your oldest? Do you remember sounding exactly like your father?" Ben nodded again. "I remember the first time I really had to punish Eamon, that was my oldest boy. He'd be about yon Joseph's age now. He had gone climbing the cliffs when he was six, looking for bird's eggs. Unfortunately for him, the only thing that got caught was him. I remember yelling at him and all I could think of was me da punishing me for the same thing and all of a sudden I understood Da as I never had before.

"What made me think of that was sending Annie to her room today. Eamon used to backtalk me and I remember one time sending him to his room without supper. That's when hunger could be used as a punishment, when it wasn't a way of life." Padraig was silent for a while watching the boys play; Ben didn't know what to say, except to silently thank God again for sparing his sons. Padraig rubbed his hand over his eyes and stood up. "That's the first time I've said Eamon's name in over a year," he said quietly. "I'm going to say good night to Annie."

Padraig knocked softly on Annie's door, and then opened it. Annie was sitting on her bed, her arms wrapped around her knees. She scrambled as though to stand. "No, don't get up girl."

"You didn't say good night to me. I didna want to go to sleep with any bad feelings between us." He sat on the bed facing her.

Annie's lower lip trembled. "I'm sorry, Uncle Pat, I didn't mean to yell, but you didn't give me a chance to explain. You just startled me when you yelled at Hoss like that."

"I know. I apologized to him already. When you've gone through what I have, starving is more than just a word."

Annie stared at him. She hadn't thought of that. Guilt overwhelmed her. She had spent the entire afternoon sulking and being angry with Uncle Pat and he had probably spent the afternoon thinking about his family. She reached out and touched his hand. "Uncle Pat?" He gathered her into his arms and buried his head in her shoulder. She patted his head as the sobs shook him. After a few minutes, he sat up again.

"I'm sorry, girl, I shouldn't have done that."

She smiled. "It's all right, Uncle Pat, we're family. That's what family does."

He leaned against the back of the bed, Annie still in his arms. "Let me tell you about your cousins. Eamon was just a little younger than you, and Brigid was a few years younger…"

When Ben looked in a couple of hours later, he found Annie sound asleep cradled in Padraig's arms. Padraig was looking up at the ceiling. He gently extricated himself and followed Ben out of the room.

"She fell asleep while I was telling her about Sheila and the children. I never thought I'd be able to talk about them again."

"The first time is the hardest; after a while you realize that talking about them keeps them alive in your heart at least."

"I suppose you're right. Good night, Benjamin."

 

Padraig spent a day in town, talking with Dan and anyone else who knew anything about mining. Ben gave Annie permission to go riding with her friend Peggy, while he and Adam went to town with Padraig.

Annie dismounted near her friend Peggy, who was waiting for her by the lake. "Hey, Peggy, where do you want to ride today?"

Peggy didn't say anything, but waved towards something behind Annie. Annie turned and was surprised to see two other riders approaching. As Mitch and Peggy's beau, Fred Thompson rode up to the two girls, Peggy urged her horse towards them. "Annie, I know you've been wanting to spend some time with Mitch alone, here's your chance. Fred and I will ride that way," Peggy gestured vaguely with her hand "and you and Mitch can ride that way."

Annie turned towards Peggy. "Are you crazy? If my uncle catches us, he'll be furious. And if your uncle catches you…"

Peggy dismissed Annie's worries with a careless wave. "You worry too much. He'll never find out. See you later!" Peggy and Fred rode off as Mitch dismounted.

Mitch looked uncomfortable. "Annie, I don't think this is right. I mean, I'd like to be with you and all, but if your uncle or my Pa catches us…"

"You're right, Mitch. I think we'd best head for home." The two turned towards their horses when Annie gasped.

Mitch looked up and saw Ben, Pat and Adam riding towards them. Even from a distance he could tell Annie's uncle was furious. He swallowed loudly and squared back his shoulders. After all, they hadn't done anything wrong. The trick was going to be convincing Mr. Cartwright of that.

The three men reined their horses in front of Mitch and Annie and Ben swung himself off his horse. Annie looked from her Uncle Ben, to Adam and then to Uncle Pat. Mitch stood between Annie and her uncle.

"Mr. Cartwright, it's not what you think."

Ben towered over the boy. "And just what do I think, Mitch?"

Mitch took a step back. "Mr. Cartwright, I know it looks like Annie and I are alone, but…"

"I don't see anyone else here, so tell me why it only looks like you two are alone?"

Mitch's eyes widened. Now he knew why Annie and Joe tried so hard to stay on Mr. Cartwright's good side. He thought his father had a temper. He talked faster. "Mr. Cartwright, I know it looks like we were sneaking off alone, but that's not what happened, sir. I don't know why Annie was here, but Fred Thompson asked me to come fishing with him." Mitch pointed to his fishing pole. "When we got here, Annie and Peggy were here and then Peggy and Fred rode off. Annie and I knew that you would not approve, so I was just bringing her home."

Ben looked at the boy, who looked right back at him respectfully. He nodded slowly. "Annie, is that the truth?"

"Yes, sir, it is. You said I could go riding with Peggy, when I got here, she and Fred rode off so Mitch and I could be alone. I knew it wasn't right, so I was going home. Mitch wanted to see me safely home."

Ben looked to Pat, who nodded slightly. "All right, Mitch, I believe you." Mitch's sigh was audible to all. "But, I want you to ride home and tell your father what happened here. I'd hate for him to hear it from me first."

Mitch nodded. "Yes, sir, I will. Thank you for believing me, Mr. Cartwright."

Ben smiled slightly. "You're welcome, Mitch. You're a smart young man; I like to think you wouldn't want to jeopardize your chances of seeing Annie again. Now go on home, Annie will be safe with us."

Mitch nodded again, mounted up and headed for home. Ben turned to Annie who was standing quietly by her horse. He raised an eyebrow.

"Thank you, Uncle Ben. I wouldn't disobey you again, I promise."

He smiled as he helped her on her horse. "That's a good thing, Annie, because I remember making you a promise if you did."

"Yes, sir. I remember that promise, too."

 

Dinner was over and Annie brought the tray of coffee onto the porch. She offered a cup to Uncle Ben, Uncle Pat and Adam, then headed back into the house to finish the dishes. Hoss and Joe were in the barn looking for suitable whittling wood.

"Well, Benjamin, I can't believe a little slip of a thing like Annie has a beau already."

Ben smiled. "I'm not sure he's a beau or not. I don't let them go anywhere alone, but he does come calling to see her. Sometimes he comes to see Joe instead, and then Annie sulks in the house."

"I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, though. If she's anything like her mother, you've got a rocky few years ahead of you. You might want to marry her off as quickly as possible!" He laughed as Adam spewed coffee out. "Her mother was popular with the boys. Not that our da approved, mind. He wasn't a great one for letting boys near his Katie, no he was not. In our village, the only way a boy could speak to a girl once they reached a certain age was to ask permission of her da, or her older brother if her da wasn't there. Well, my da was a formidable man, much like yourself, Benjamin, and not many boys were brave enough to speak to him. Katie decided if she waited for them, she'd die an old maid. So, she snuck away a few times to talk to them. Don't get the wrong ideas about Katie. She was respectable, but headstrong. Unfortunately for her, my da caught her crawling in her window one night."

Adam looked at him. "What did he do?"

"Probably exactly what your father would do." He laughed as Adam winced. "My da had a soft spot with Katie – she got away with many things Seamus and I did not, but he would not tolerate disobedience on this matter."

Just then Annie returned to the porch. "Lassie, we were just talking about how popular your mother was with the boys and what your grandfather did when he caught her sneaking out."

Annie looked upset. "What about when Papa came? He didn't sneak out with her, did he?" Annie didn't like to think of her father doing something like that.

Pat held out his arms and Annie snuggled on his lap. "Annie, did your da never tell about meeting your mother?"

"I know he was sick and she nursed him back to health. He didn't like to talk about Mama much."

"Was that all he said? Such a man! He took a wonderful story like that and reduced it to ten words! He wasn't an Irishman, that is obvious." Annie bristled and Pat looked down at her. "It's not insulting your father, I am. Not every man can be Irish. Ah well, more's the pity.

"You know we lived in Killala on the coast? Well, your da was on a ship going to Sligo when a fierce storm came up. I don't know exactly the details, he wouldna speak much of it, but he was washed overboard. 'Twas a miracle that brought him to the beach that morning. I was courting Sheila and your mother was acting as chaperone as we walked on the beach. We came across your da, lying as though dead, half-drowned. I ran to get my da and Seamus while Katie and Sheila did their best to get the water out of him. We carried him back to our house.

"He was unconscious for three days. We had no doctor, o'course, but my mother knew what to do. I should have suspected something when Katie offered to do the nursing. Katie hated to stay inside, and my mother was forever reminding her to do her inside chores. Katie stayed at Eddie's side day and night, leaving only when my mother would take her place.

"When your da's fever started burning, Katie was there, keeping him cool, wiping his forehead. She did it with such tenderness that I didn't recognize my sister. She was not very lady-like you see, and she usually had a sharp tongue. Not for this stranger, though. She sang to him softly, she spoke to him, she told him stories.

"Finally after three days her patience was rewarded, and he opened his eyes to see her looking at him." Padraig paused a moment. "Your da told me he was thought he was dead, for he had heard an angel singing and when he awoke, he was sure he was dead, for the angel was hovering over him. I know, it sounds like he was love-struck, but he was. He loved Katie the minute he saw her, just as she loved him when she saw him on the beach.

"Katie had the gift of Sight, or so she believed. She told me that a few days before we found your father, she dreamed of him and she knew that he was the man she would marry. I don't know if she had the Gift or not, but I do know the two of them were inseparable after that.

"As soon as your father realized he had feelings for your mother, he spoke to my da, as was proper. Your grandfather wasn't surprised at all, none of us were, but he gave permission for your da to pay court, as long as they were chaperoned." Pat didn't add that he was often the chaperone and he turned a blind eye to what Annie's parents did. "They were married shortly before they left Ireland."

"Was my grandfather upset when my father wanted to bring my mother to America?"

Pat frowned at the memory. "No, he wasn't, lass. He was glad to let her go."

Annie looked puzzled. "But I thought you said my grandfather loved my mother."

"Oh, Annie, my da used to say she was the soul of our family but he was glad to have her go. You see, Annie, your mother was the most beautiful woman in all of County Mayo, and she had caught the eye of the English landlord's son."

"But wouldn't marriage to a rich man help your family?"

"Twas not marriage he had in mind, Annie." Annie frowned as she thought about what he had said. "My da thought to protect her by sending her across the ocean." What Pat didn't say was that the landlord's son remembered what Pat's father had done, and when he became landlord a few years later, he had treated Pat's family badly, not giving them any help when the blight came.

 

A few days after Annie had seen Peggy and Mitch, Annie and Joe asked for and received permission to go fishing. They rode through the meadow towards the new fishing spot they had found. They were glad to be free of chores and adults for a while, and Annie had just challenged Joe to a race. They pulled up as they saw two men riding towards them.

"Do you know them?" Joe shook his head just as the two men rode up. They were ragged, as though they had spent a long time in the wilderness, and something about them frightened Annie. The taller man spoke.

"You kids know where we can find Ben Cartwright? We're supposed to see him about a job."

Before Annie could stop him, Joe answered. "He's my pa. I'm Joe and this is my cousin Annie." He stopped short as the man pulled out a gun, which he pointed at Annie. The second man rode towards Annie and pulled her from her horse to sit in front of him.

"Just the kids I'm lookin' for then. Well, Joe Cartwright, you go tell your pa if he wants to see your cousin alive, he'll get us $5000 by tomorrow. Otherwise we'll see if someone else'll pay us $5000 for her. She's a pretty young thing, we outta get that easy." The two men rode off, leaving Joe in stunned silence.

 

Ben, Pat, Hoss and Adam were sitting on the porch after an afternoon of chores. Mitch and Pete Devlin had just returned with Jove and were enjoying a glass of lemonade when Ben saw Joe racing down the hill towards the house. Ben stood, and muttered. "That boy. If I've told him once about racing his horse like that…When he gets here I have half a mind to give him a reminder he'll feel for a good long while." His anger quickly disappeared when he saw the look on Joe's face as Joe threw himself off the horse.

"Pa, Pa, they took Annie. They said you…"

"Slow down, Joe, what are you talking about?" He looked frantically at his other sons who were running up behind him.

Joe took a deep breath. "Two men rode up to us in the meadow and pulled a gun. One of them grabbed Annie off her horse and the other one told us to tell you to get them $5000 by tomorrow or they'd find someone who would pay for Annie."

Ben reeled a little from the shock. There was no way he could raise $5000 by tomorrow. Even Jack Wolfe didn't have that kind of cash on hand. He looked at Adam, then at Hoss and just stood, unable to move or think. His two oldest sons quickly ran to get the horses saddled. Hop Sing, who had come out on the porch when he heard the commotion, turned back to the house. "I will get food for you." Pete headed to help Hoss and Adam after he told his brother to fetch their father.

Pat quickly recovered his composure and went to Joe. "Joe, lad, do you think you could ride to town and get that sheriff after you show us where you were when the men came?" Joe nodded. "Good lad. Tell your brothers you'll be needing a fresh horse. Hop Sing'll take care of Paint, I'm sure."

As Joe ran off, Pat grabbed Ben's arm. "Benjamin, she needs us. We'll not do her any good standing here." Ben shook himself.

"Of course, you're right. Thank you, Padraig. Let's ride."

Charlie Devlin joined them in the meadow just as Hoss picked up the trail. Ben turned to Joe. "Go get the sheriff, bring him here. He'll be able to pick up our trail. Then I want you to go home and help Hop Sing."

Joe started to argue that he wanted to go with his father and brothers but he didn't want to add any to the pain and worry that he saw in his father's face. "Yes, sir."

 

Sheriff Coffee and some of the men from town caught up with Ben and his family a few hours later. Ben was surprised to see Shelby, Eli and Jack Wolfe with the sheriff, but he was relieved to see Daniel and Dr. Martin. Although he had every faith in Hoss's tracking ability, he knew that Daniel was more experienced. He just prayed they wouldn't need Paul's services. The search party rode until it was dark and Roy called a halt. Ben and Pat tried to argue, but Roy pointed out they could easily miss the trail in the dark, and the uncles nodded in their grief.

 

The two men sat quietly on a rock, each lost in the turmoil of his thoughts. Pat rested his hand on Ben's shoulder, making Ben jump in surprise.

"We'll find her, Benjamin, we will, and she'll be all right, a little scared perhaps, but unharmed."

Ben moaned softly. "I wish I could believe that, Padraig."

Pat's hand dropped to his side. "I have to believe it, Benjamin. She's all I have left."

They sat in silence again for a moment. Ben spoke so quietly that Pat had to strain to hear him. "I've never been a man for taking the law into my own hands, Padraig. When Indians killed Inger, I didn't want to hurt them. When Marie was killed, I was satisfied to let the law deal with the man, until I had to save Joseph. But by God, if these men have hurt one hair on that little girl's head, I will kill them."

"No, Benjamin, you won't." Pat raised his hand as Ben protested. "You won't, because I will have already killed them."

Ben's response was lost when Adam came hurrying towards them. "Pa, Hoss sees a campfire."

Plans were quickly made and the search party separated, determined to rescue Annie. Hoss and Adam took the most direct route, over the rocks and had almost reached the fire when a girl's scream ripped the night air.

 

Annie was relieved when the two men stopped shortly after nightfall. She wanted so badly to get off the horse, away from her captor's touch, that she didn't mind when he dumped her from the saddle. She scrambled up as best she could with tied hands and cowered near a rock.

She couldn't believe it when the two men lit a campfire. Didn't they realize it would be a beacon to anyone who was following them? She knew that her uncles and cousins would be searching as soon as Joe got home, and she knew that Hoss would be able to follow the trail the men left. She just prayed they would get there in time.

The tall ugly man approached her. "You’re a fine looking woman, ain't ya?" He reached out to touch her hair. Annie's eyes widened and she bit her lip to hide the trembling.

"She is no woman. She is a little girl and you frighten her. Leave her be. We want money, not women." The Mexican pulled the tall man away.

"Maybe you don't want a woman, but it's been a long time for me." The tall man wrenched himself from the Mexican's grip and turned towards Annie again. She backed up until she was flat against the rock. She shrank from his touch, but he had her trapped. She closed his eyes as his hands reached to the front of her dress and he ripped it. Dear God in Heaven she prayed please don't let him hurt me. She could smell his fetid breath as he bent towards her. Summoning all her strength, she drove her knee up between his legs, causing him to gasp.

"You stupid bitch!" The man backhanded her across the face and he shoved her against the rock. She could see him fumbling with his trouser buttons and she struggled to get away. He hit her again. She closed her eyes again and prayed for a miracle.

Annie felt the man's weight pulled off her and she opened her eyes. The Mexican had yanked the man away and they were fighting. Both men had drawn guns and the next thing she knew, she heard a gun shot, and felt terrible pain in her shoulder. She screamed and then heard two more shots as the Mexican shot the tall man just seconds before the tall man fired. Both men fell to the ground, dead. Annie collapsed, in pain and in anguish.

Adam found her a minute later. He thought she was dead and felt desperately for a pulse. When he felt a one, however feeble, he pulled out his neckerchief and pressed it to her wound and covered her with his coat to keep her warm. "Hoss, Hoss, she's here!" Annie's eyes fluttered open and she smiled slightly.

"Adam, tell Uncle Ben they didn’t hurt me."

"Didn't hurt you? Annie, you've been shot."

"No, Adam, he didn't hurt me. He wanted to, but the other one wouldn't let him." Her eyes closed again as the pain overtook her. Adam paled as he realized what Annie was telling him. He felt lightheaded and he had to fight the urge to retch. Hoss came running into the clearing, but stopped short when he saw Adam and Annie.

"Is she…?"

"No, but she's been hurt pretty bad." Adam pulled out his gun and fired it into the air three times. A few minutes later, Ben and Pat came running towards them. Ben dropped beside Adam and Hoss, who were doing their best to tend to their cousin. Doctor Martin and Sheriff Coffee were right behind Ben and Pat, and the doctor practically pushed Ben aside to get to Annie.

Adam pulled his father aside and told him what Annie had said. Adam had to catch his father as Ben's knees buckled underneath him. Ben waved Adam's hand away and sat for a minute, only moving when Pat called to him.

"Benjamin, she's coming round. Quickly, man, she's calling for you."

 

Hoss and Adam made a stretcher and once Dr. Martin gave his permission, Ben, his sons and Pat carried Annie down the mountain. Pete Devlin had gone ahead to get a wagon as soon as he realized Annie was hurt and he was back almost as soon as they got down. Sheriff Coffee and the rest rode towards town, the bodies of the dead men in tow. He promised Ben he'd come by later that day to check on Annie. It was almost dawn when they reached the Ponderosa, where Hop Sing had all the lanterns lit in hopes of their safe return. They carried her past Joe, waiting anxiously on the porch, and brought her to her bed. Ben paused long enough to pat Joe reassuringly but then hurried after the doctor.

"Well, Ben, I think she's lucky. The bullet wasn't deep and I was able to get it out while we were still on the mountain. We have to watch for infection of course, but she should be fine."

"Fine. After what those men tried to do to her, will she ever be fine?" Ben slumped in the chair next to Annie's bed and buried his hands in his face. Paul Martin leaned over to him.

"That will depend on you, Ben." He picked up his bag. "I'll come by with Roy later today. Try to get some rest. She's going to need you when she wakes up."

Ben slept in the chair next to Annie's bed. Pat brought in another chair and slept at the foot of the bed. Both men wanted to be there when she awoke.

 

The afternoon sun woke Annie, as though from a bad dream. She stirred, and felt the pain in her shoulder. Her face felt like it was on fire and she knew she had not been dreaming. Stifling a sob, she looked around her. She saw her uncles, sleeping, and knew she was at home. She didn't feel safe, though. She didn't think she would ever feel safe again. She sniffled and Ben looked up.

"Annie!" Padraig looked up when he heard Ben cry out, and he quickly moved beside Ben.

"Annie, lass, how are you feeling?" Padraig reached out to touch her forehead, but Annie shrank from his touch. Padraig pulled back his hand as if burned.

"I hurt."

"Yes, I'm sure you do." Ben didn't move to touch her, but he silently cursed the men who took her. "Are you hungry?" Annie shook her head. "Well, I think I'll see if Hop Sing can make you some tea, anyway. Dr. Martin will be here soon to check on you."

The two men turned away, Ben closing the door behind him. "Dear God, Benjamin, if those men weren't already dead…"

"I know, I know." Ben looked at his sons all seated around the table.

"How is she, Pa?" Adam looked anxiously for reassurance.

"She's in pain, of course." Ben sat next to Joe. He needed to talk to them, they needed to understand what had happened, but he didn't know what to say. He smiled as he saw Hop Sing head into Annie's room with a cup of tea.

"Boys, you know Annie was hurt, that one of the men shot her, and you know that she was beat up badly." He reached out to lay his hand on Joe's. "Those men also wanted to, well, hurt her the way no man should ever hurt a woman." He could see that even Joe understood what he meant. Adam covered his face with his hands. Hoss looked like he could kill someone and Joe's eyes just welled with tears. "They didn't, but still, you need to understand that Annie is hurt and upset. She's going to need us to help her get better."

 

Days went by and Annie's body healed, but she was quiet and withdrawn. Ben tried to get her to go riding, but she just wanted to sit. He was at his wits' end trying to shake her from her melancholy. Joe, Hoss and Adam had gone to town, but Annie didn't want to, she wanted to stay home. He had just headed into the barn when he saw Mitch riding into the yard. Annie, sitting on the porch shelling peas, looked up. When she saw who was there, she picked up the bowl and headed into the house.

Mitch watched at her go into the house, then turned to Ben. "I've come to see Annie, if that's all right, Mr. Cartwright."

"Mitch, I'm not sure Annie's up to visitors right now."

Mitch squared back his shoulders. "My father told me a little of what happened, Mr. Cartwright. I wanted to come before today, but he told me to wait. I just want to sit with Annie, to keep her company, if she'll have me."

"You can try, son, but she's not been in the mood for company. Go inside and see her."

"Thank you, Mr. Cartwright." He turned away, but Ben's hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Mitch, if she says anything that hurts, or if she seems angry with you, just remember that it's not you she's angry with." Mitch nodded in understanding and walked to the house. He knocked and Padraig opened the door.

"Hello, Mr. McLaughlin. I've come to see Annie. Mr. Cartwright said it's all right."

"Sure, and 'tis grand to see you, Mitch." Padraig turned to the table. "Annie, you’ve a visitor." Annie looked at Mitch and headed into her bedroom.

"Anna!" Padraig's voice was soft, but stern. "Annie, you'll not be rude to your guest. Why not sit and talk a while? I'll be right over here at the table."

Annie shrugged and sat on a chair by the sofa. Mitch sat on the sofa near her and held out his hand.

"I brought you some lemon drops."

Annie smiled slightly as she took the bag. "Thanks."

"Does your shoulder still hurt?"

"Some. It's getting better."

They sat a while in silence. Annie just stared at her hands and Mitch looked into the fireplace. Finally Mitch broke the silence.

"Well, Pa said I shouldn't stay long. I just wanted to see how you were doing."

Annie nodded and stood to walk him to the door. As she opened it for him, she reached out to touch his hand briefly. "Mitch?"

"Yeah, Annie?"

"Will you come back?" Annie seemed nervous, as though she expected him to say no.

Mitch's grin spread across his face. "You know I will. Every day if Pa lets me."

 

Annie's spirits improved steadily after Mitch's visit, although Ben still missed his sassy little girl. Finally, two weeks after her abduction, Padraig announced it was time he was moving on. When Annie tried to object, Padraig pointed out that he would just be in the gold fields of California and that he would visit as often as he could. And, when he struck it rich he promised he would come back again and buy a ranch near the Ponderosa.

"But now, lassie, get some coffee for your Uncle Benjamin and me. I've some talking to do with him."

The two men sat in companionable silence on the porch. Padraig sighed as he leaned back on the bench.

"You've a beautiful land, Benjamin. 'Tis blessed you are."

Ben thought a moment, then nodded. "I am." He turned to his friend. "Padraig, I've been thinking. Why don't you stay with us? You could live in the house on Annie's property."

"No, Benjamin, I'll not be beholden again to a landlord, even one so fair as our little niece. No, I'll be off to the gold fields soon enough. It's been a blessing though, to see Annie, to know that my family will carry on even when I do not."

"You're not that old, Padraig. You could fall in love again. I know that when things seem bleakest, love has a way of blooming again."

Padraig shook his head slowly. "No, love will never bloom for me again. I don't have to tell you that when the woman you love dies, she takes a piece of your heart. But when you lose the children she bore, when you watch your children die because you cannot feed them…Benjamin, when I watched my little ones die of starvation, my soul died." Padraig's voice caught on his tears. "I hope you never know what that is like, Benjamin. My children died because I could not provide for them. I was their father – they ate before me, I went without for days and still, I watched them die. I tried to tell myself that there was nothing I could do. I would have stolen for them, I would have killed if it would put food on the table, but dear God in Heaven, Benjamin, I was their father and I couldn't save them. When they died, I died too. My body just doesn't know it yet."

Ben closed his eyes and once again thanked God for his sons. He knew that they were all that kept him alive after his wives died.

Padraig looked at Ben. "You're the first man I've met who understood." He smiled slightly. "Annie has restored a small piece of my soul to me. Seeing her, seeing Katie in her, well, it's like the sun coming out after a storm. Maybe there is some hope for me yet. You take good care of her, Benjamin."

 

Annie and Uncle Pat walked in the moonlight. He stopped and reached out to draw her near to him. She stiffened slightly, then relaxed against him. "Annie, I have to tell you some things. I have to tell you more about my family. I know I've told you about the famine, but what I didn't tell you is that my wife and my children died because of it. They died because I could not feed them. 'Tis an awful thing, Annie, when you can't protect those you love most in the world."

Annie wiped away a tear. "But you can't blame yourself. You did everything you could."

"Aye that I did. It's funny how people think, though. They blame themselves for things over which they have no control, instead of leaving the blame with those who deserve it." He reached down and lifted her chin so he could look her in the eyes. "That's what you're doing, isn't it?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"Oh, I think you do. You're blaming yourself for what that man tried to do to you. But Annie, you did nothing wrong. You need to remember that."

Annie sniffed, and pulled her chin from his hand. "I know." she whispered. "It's just it's hard to forget something like that."

He put his arm around her. "Annie, do you remember when I gave you the rosary?" Annie nodded. "Do you remember me saying that it was the only thing of value I didn't sell to raise money? I said I needed to raise money for our passage, and you noticed that. I told you I meant my passage, but Annie, I lied to you. Eamon was with me when I left Ireland." He knelt in front of her. "Do you know what they call the ships the Irish sail on? They call them coffin ships because so many die on the way. When my Sheila and my daughter died, I blamed myself, but I was sure if I could get Eamon to America then everything would be all right. When Eamon died on that ship, I hated myself; I was convinced I had killed him and I couldn't imagine how I could live. I didn't think there was any reason to live. I even took myself to the railing, thinking to throw myself over the edge. Then I heard a voice telling me to stop. To kill myself would be throw away God's greatest gift, the gift of my life. I remembered my sister, your mother, then I thought of you. I thought that maybe, just maybe I wasn't alone in this world. So, I came here and I found out that I had a whole family that I didn't even know yet. Sure, Annie, 'tis you that saved me. You have given me a new life. I can't bear the thought of leaving here not knowing if you will be all right."

"I will be, Uncle Pat. It's going to take me a while, but I will be. But what about you? I wish you didn't have to go, I wish you would stay here with me. I need to know that you'll be all right."

He hugged her tightly, happy to see that she didn't pull away from his touch. "Oh, lassie, don't you worry about me. I'll be fine, thanks to you."

 

Padraig left early the next morning. Annie spent the day doing chores with Hop Sing and playing with Joe, trying to keep her mind off her sorrow. After dinner, she asked to be excused and she went outside.

Annie leaned on the porch rail, looking out at the sunset. Ben touched her lightly on her shoulder, then stilled her as she jumped. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

Annie smiled ruefully. "I was lost in my thoughts, I guess."

"You've been spending a lot of time lost there, lately." Ben sat on the bench and pulled her towards him. She sat on his lap, a little stiffly, then relaxed against him as he put his arms around her. Ben silently cursed her kidnappers for the hundredth time since Annie was rescued.

"I was thinking of Uncle Pat, how sad he was. I'm going to miss him."

"Not as much as he'll miss you, I think. He was sad when he got here; I think he left a little happier."

"He and I talked a lot last night before he left. He told me everything that had happened to his family before he left Ireland, and then he told me something else. He said he had actually thought about killing himself, that he truly had nothing to live for." Ben's arms tightened around her. "He said he was standing by the ship's rail, just about to cast himself into the water below and he thought of how angry God would be if he just threw away the gift of life. Then he thought of me, he decided he wanted to see if he truly was alone in the world. Then he met all of us, and he realized he wasn't." Annie continued staring at the sunset. "When….when those men had me …Well, anyway, I remember closing my eyes and praying that God not let them hurt me. I had this feeling like my father was there, and my mother, like they had never left me, and then the next thing I knew guns were being fired, and then Adam came and then you came with Uncle Pat.

"I've been feeling sorry for myself a lot, but after I talked to Uncle Pat, I realized just how lucky I am. God answered my prayers and I wasn't hurt. Now I'm back with you, and I'm safe. It'll be all right. After all, I figured, with God and the Cartwrights looking out for me, I'll be fine."

 

The End.