Housebound

By Marion

 

Annie Cartwright lay face down on her bed, sulking. It was still early and she could hear her uncle and cousins laughing at some joke Hoss told. She was miserable and it was all Uncle Ben’s fault. She sniffed. She guessed if she were honest, she’d have to admit it was really all her fault.

The trouble started a few days ago, the week after Christmas. Uncle Ben and Annie’s cousins were out in the pastures checking on the herds. Hop Sing had been in town, visiting one of his many cousins. Annie worked on her chores for a little while after lunch, then decided to take a break. She had been reading A Christmas Carol, her Christmas present from Uncle Ben and she wanted to read some more. She settled herself on the sofa and proceeded to get lost in the story. After she had read for what seemed like an hour, she heard the clock start to chime and decided she’d best get back to her chores. The clock chimed dong, dong and to Annie’s dismay, it chimed twice more. Four o’clock? Uncle Ben was going to have her hide if he caught her reading instead of doing chores. She jumped off the sofa just as the front door opened. Unfortunately for her, Uncle Ben walked in just as she was trying to hide the book under the sofa cushion.

"What are you doing?" He walked over to the sofa and pulled out the book. He looked down at Annie, who was looking everywhere but at him. "Were you reading instead of doing your chores?"

"Yes, sir." Annie chewed on her lower lip and looked up at him. He didn’t look too happy. He frowned down at her.

"I’ll just keep this book for a while, then, until I decide you can do your chores without reminding."

Annie looked at him in dismay. She was just about to start the last chapter, and she had to know how it ended. "Uncle Ben, I’m sorry, it won’t happen again. Please don’t take the book away."

Her uncle’s response was to spin her around, give her a smack on her backside and propel her towards the kitchen area. "Get those chores finished. You’ll get the book back when I decide, not a moment sooner."

Annie hurried over to start dinner. She was so mad, and her backside stung a little. It was all she could do to keep from banging the dishes around, but she knew what would happen if she started that.

Then, this afternoon, Annie found herself home alone. The snows had come again, and she and Joe couldn’t go to school. Uncle Ben was so concerned about the cattle that after lunch he enlisted both Joe and Hop Sing to help him, Adam and Hoss to check on them. Annie waited until everyone had ridden from the yard then she hurried into her uncle’s room. She knew he had put the book on a shelf, just out of her reach. She stood on his chair that she had dragged over to the shelf and was just about to grab the book when she felt strong hands pick her up and put her down on the floor. She turned around to see her uncle towering over her. He didn’t say anything, he just sat on the chair, put her over his knee and spanked her a few times. When he set her on her feet again, she was in tears.

"How dare you defy me like that, young lady?!" Annie just stared at him, one hand covering her backside, the other wiping away tears. "Do your own chores, and then start the barn chores. I think Hop Sing will be too tired to cook tonight, so I expect you to get dinner ready for us. When I come home, everything had better be done." Ben turned her around and propelled her out of his bedroom. "Go get started."

Annie ran into the main room of the house wanting nothing more than to go to her own room, but she knew she was expected to start her chores. As she headed towards the kitchen, she saw Adam looking at her sympathetically. Great, she thought, Uncle Ben’s door had been open the entire time, which meant that Adam heard everything. As if he could read her mind, Adam came over to her.

"Sorry, I couldn’t help but hear. Don’t worry, I won’t tell the others." Adam grinned ruefully. "You don’t think you’re the first one to get in trouble for that, do you?" He winked and tweaked her braid and headed out the door. Annie looked at him as he left. She couldn’t picture him ever getting in trouble with Uncle Ben, but maybe she was wrong. Somehow he made her feel a little better.

A few minutes after Adam left the house, Uncle Ben came out of his room. He looked at her expectantly, but when she didn’t say anything, he sighed. "Make sure your chores are done." Then he too was gone. Annie spent the afternoon getting all her chores done. She took care to make sure everything was done right; it wouldn’t do to give Uncle Ben any more reasons to be mad. She cleaned the house, started dinner, then put on her coat and headed out to do the barn chores. She had to stop a few times to check on dinner, but still she had finished raking out the stalls and putting fresh hay and grain in the feed bins when the men returned from their work.

Uncle Ben commended her on her hard work, but didn’t say much else. The dinner conversation revolved around what chores needed to be done in the morning; Annie just ate without saying anything. Once she was done, she got up and cleaned the dishes. She didn’t want to talk to anyone anyway, she was too busy sulking over her lost book. As soon as she put away the last dish, Uncle Ben called her to him.

"If you’re done, I think you can go to bed; I’ll be in to say good night in a minute."

"Yes sir." So now Annie was laying face down on her bed, waiting for Uncle Ben to come to say good night. She debated about pretending to sleep, but she knew Uncle Ben would want to talk about what happened, and she didn’t think it would be a good idea to defy him anymore today.

Annie heard a soft knock which was followed by the sound of an opening door. She turned and sat up just as Uncle Ben closed the door. He picked up her hairbrush and headed for the bed. As he sat down, she looked at him shyly. "I’m sorry Uncle Ben. I just wanted to know how my book ended."

"It’ll be a while now before you find out, won’t it? And yet, if you had waited, you’d be reading it right now instead of going to bed early." Ben started to brush Annie’s hair. "You need to remember Annie that we’d all like to be doing other things than chores. It’s not fair if you decide to sit and read while everyone else is out working, is it?"

"No, sir, I guess not."

"Hoss said he’d take you and Joe sledding tomorrow afternoon if you want to go." Hoss and Adam had built two wooden sleds for Annie and Joe for Christmas presents and the children went sledding every chance they had.

"You mean I can go? I’m not restricted?"

"I think you’ve been punished, don’t you? I won’t give you your book back for a while, and you had extra chores to do this afternoon." Annie turned and gave her uncle a hug.

"Tell Hoss I’d love to go sledding. You know, Uncle Ben, I think you’re just a big softy sometimes."

Ben smiled. "Want me to change that?"

"No sir!" Ben finished brushing her hair and he stood up. "Uncle Ben, did Adam get into a lot of trouble when he was younger?"

Ben smiled as he put the brush back on Annie’s dresser. "I don’t think you’d want me to tell Adam when you got in trouble, would you?" Annie shook her head. "Then you’ll have to ask Adam that question. I won’t tell." He opened the door and headed out of the room. He stopped and turned to face Annie. "Let’s just say I don’t think he’d say I was an old softy. Good night, Annie."

Annie giggled as she lay back down in bed. "Good night Uncle Ben."

The next day found all four Cartwright children hurrying through their chores. Ben had decided they all deserved the afternoon off because they had been working so hard. Annie was thrilled that Adam and Hoss would be sledding with her and Joe. That meant they could go on the big hill behind the house, which they weren’t allowed to sled on alone. There were more trees and bumps and Uncle Ben was concerned that Annie and Joe would get hurt.

After lunch, Hop Sing told Annie he would finish the dishes so they could go out earlier. Annie thought he was being nice, but Hop Sing was really just anxious to get the noisy lot of them out of the house so he could have some peace. Ben just rolled his eyes as he saw through Hop Sing’s plan, but to be honest he was going to enjoy the peaceful afternoon as well. Maybe he’d start A Christmas Carol, since he wasn’t going to give it back to Annie for a while.

The foursome headed towards the slope, Hoss and Adam dragging the sleds, Annie and Joe trudging behind. The air was cold, and Annie’s wool leggings were making her itchy. When she had complained after putting them on, Uncle Ben said she had a choice of itchy legs or sledding. Wisely she stopped complaining and chose sledding. The boys were all wrapped in the scarves that Annie had made for their Christmas presents, but Annie could still see the steam from their breath.

They had spent a pleasant hour sledding; Joe and Adam teamed up against Annie and Hoss and they had run race after race down the hill. Annie felt a little scared as they flew down the hill, but she knew she didn’t have anything to worry about with Hoss’s strong arms wrapped around her.

They trudged to the top of the hill once again. Hoss was pulling Annie on her sled, but Joe had run ahead of Adam. Suddenly, Hoss slipped on an icy patch. As he fell, he let go of the sled and Annie found herself careening down the hill backwards. She screamed as the sled hit a stump, then it flipped backwards, hurling her through the air. She felt a searing pain in her leg, then everything went black.

When she came too she heard voices standing over her. "I don’t think we should move her 'til Pa gets here Hoss."

"Yer right, Adam, I don’t like the look of her leg. Hope it don’t take Joe long to get Pa." Hoss bent down as he heard Annie moan. "It’s okay, sweetie, help’s comin’. Lord, Annie, I’m sorry I let go."

"Not your fault." was all Annie could gasp out. She didn’t ever remember feeling pain like she felt in her leg just then. "Broken?"

Now Adam knelt beside her. "I’m afraid it might be. Joe ran to get Pa. We don’t want to move you until he comes."

Hoss glanced up. "Here he is now, Annie. Don’t you worry, everything’ll be all right."

Adam and Hoss moved quickly out of their father’s way. Annie was trying hard not to cry, but the pain was too much. When Uncle Ben reached out to touch the leg, she yelped and gave into the tears. "Joe, give me that bottle." Ben forced a little whiskey down Annie’s throat, making her choke. "C’mon, sweetheart, a little more. That’s my girl. It’ll help for the ride home." He looked up at the boys. "Adam, Hoss, help me get her on the sled. Careful not to jostle the leg now. That’s it, nice and easy." Ben and the boys lifted Annie carefully, but still the pain was intense and she cried out again, then passed out cold.

"That might be a blessing" was all Ben said. "Adam, run into town and get Shelby. She can set the leg. See if Eli has any more laudanum. We’ve only got a bit left and I think Annie’s going to need it. Go on, boy, hurry." Adam took off towards the barn. He saw Hop Sing lead Beauty out of the barn, already saddled. Not even thanking Hop Sing, he vaulted into the saddle and headed towards town.

Ben and Hoss wrapped blankets over Annie then slowly dragged the sled towards the house. They were very careful to keep the ride smooth so as to not jar her unnecessarily. Joe followed behind with the second sled.

By the time they got to the house, Hop Sing had already moved the sofa closer to the fire and he had blankets warming on the hearth and water heating in a pot on the stove. He brought out a blanket to lay Annie on, then Hoss and Ben carried her into the house and laid her directly on the couch. Ben grabbed the knife Hop Sing was holding and he ripped open her stocking. The leg was badly bruised and he knew it was definitely broken. He looked up at Hoss and Joe, both looking a little pale as they looked at Annie.

"Boys, you go get changed into dry clothes and start the chores. Hop Sing and I will take care of Annie." Ben hurried into Annie’s room to fetch her nightgown and robe. He didn’t want the boys to see Annie in pain, especially Joseph, who was so sensitive. Plus, he felt Annie would want to have a little privacy.

By the time they heard Adam return, they had changed Annie, dried her off and gotten her into her nightgown. She hadn’t stirred much and they tried hard not to jostle her. Ben turned as the door opened and was glad to see Adam accompanied by the new doctor. "Dr. Martin, I didn’t expect you to be in Eagle Station. I’m very glad to see you."

"Mr. Cartwright, Adam’s told me what happened. Where’s the child?"

"Right here on the couch. We’ve dried her off, and put warm clothes on her, but I didn’t dare touch the leg." He stood back while the doctor examined Annie.

"How long’s she been out like this?"

"She’s come to a few times but the pain is so intense it knocks her out again."

"Did she hit her head?" Ben looked at Adam who shook his head.

"No, sir, she landed on her leg. Her head landed in a snow pile and I think that was like a cushion."

The doctor opened Annie’s eyelid. "No sign of a concussion, I think. That’s good. Let’s hope she stays like this 'til we set her leg. Mr. Cartwright, I think we’re going to need your other boy to help with this. I’m going to need you and the two boys to hold her down."

Hop Sing started forward. "I will stay with Little Joe. I will tell Hoss to come."

Hop Sing stayed in the barn with Joe. A few minutes after Hoss went back to the house, they could hear Annie scream. Hop Sing put his arm around Joe, who had gone deathly pale. "Doctor will take good care of Annie. She will be all right."

Ben watched the fire as it slowly burned down. He roused himself from his chair long enough to put another log on; it wouldn’t do for Annie to get cold. He looked at Doc Martin, sleeping in the other chair and then over at Annie, laying on the couch. She hadn’t stirred since the doctor put the cast on. Ben was worried, but he was relieved when the doctor announced he would stay until she woke up. He had sent the boys to bed hours before.

He started to settle back in his chair when a soft moan caught his attention. He knelt by the couch and was rewarded by the sight of Annie looking up at him.

"Not Hoss’s fault." she whispered. Ben smiled despite his worry. How typical of Annie that she would worry that Hoss was feeling guilty over the accident. And, how typical of Hoss that he did feel guilty, despite everyone telling him it wasn’t his fault. "You shouldn’ta been a softie." Ben looked puzzled until he remembered her comment the night before when he had given permission to go sledding. She had expected to be restricted for trying to get the book; when he told her she could go sledding, she called him an old softie.

"Shhh. How are you feeling?"

"Hurts. Who’s that?"

Ben looked around and saw Doctor Martin was standing behind him. "This is Doctor Martin; he set your leg for you." Ben stood and moved aside so Doctor Martin could examine Annie.

"How are you feeling, young lady? You had quite the fall."

"My leg hurts like...it hurts a lot."

"How about your head?"

"No, sir. Only my leg, and my backside." She blushed. "I think I landed on a rock there."

Doctor Martin smiled. "How about your vision. Are you seeing double?" Annie shook her head. "How’s your stomach. Are you hungry?"

"A little, sir."

"Mr. Cartwright, it should be all right to give her a little bread and water for now. If she holds that down, she can have something more substantial in the morning."

"Doctor, would you like to go sleep in Annie’s bed for a while? I’ll sit up with her, and call you if I need you."

"That would be a blessing Mr. Cartwright. I was up half the night with Mrs. Carlson. Her baby didn’t come until 3 am. If Annie’s in pain, just give her a dose of the laudanum." Ben showed the doctor to Annie’s room, then he moved towards the kitchen to get Annie the bread and water. He brought it over to Annie, then dragged a chair by the couch so he could be close to her. He helped her sit up, then held her a minute when she gasped in pain.

"Do you want the laudanum yet? It’ll make you sleepy."

Annie shook her head. "Hungry." She eagerly took the bread her uncle handed her.

"Easy now. If you eat that too fast you’ll just bring it back up again." He settled down next to her and watched her eat slowly. After she finished the bread and water, she looked at him hopefully. He laughed. "No more for now. Let’s make sure that stays in your stomach." She made a face, then winced again.

"I’m sorry Uncle Ben."

"For what, you didn’t do this on purpose did you?" Annie shook her head. "That’s good, because I’d hate to have to give you a tanning for breaking your leg on purpose." He winked and Annie giggled. "You’ve nothing to be sorry for."

"You don’t have the time to be taking care of me. Now I’m not going to be able to help with anything and I won’t be able to go to school and people will have to do things for me." Annie started to cry, and Ben squeezed onto the couch to put his arms around her. "My leg hurts a lot, Uncle Ben. Make it stop." Annie was sobbing in earnest now and Ben got up to pour the laudanum. He gave her the medicine and she drank some water. He sat back down next to her and snuggled close to her.

"Did your father ever tell you about the time we almost broke our legs?" Annie shook her head. "By the time our father was done with us, we wished we had broken them! Want me to tell you the story?" Annie nodded and rested her head against Uncle Ben.

"Let me see. I was 8 or 9, so your father was 6 or 7 and John was 11. There was an old sand and gravel pit right outside of town and most of children were forbidden to go near it. It was pretty dangerous and our parents said we could get hurt or killed. Of course, that meant it was the most popular place to be. Some of the bigger boys had hung ropes from trees so they could swing over the pit. Sometimes if we had enough rain it would fill with water and the boys would drop into the water and splash around.

"Well, your grandfather had forbidden all of us to go near the place. One day, John decided he wanted to go swinging with a few of his friends, but Father and Mother were away for the day, so he was stuck watching Eddie and me. He dragged us along after making us swear to never tell Father we had left the house, because of course Father had told us to stay in our own yard.

"He had been swinging for about an hour and Eddie was starting to get bored. John had enough sense to not let us anywhere near the ropes. He knew what Father would do if one of us got hurt! It was getting close to the time we had to leave anyway, so John decided to go for one more swing. What he didn’t know was that Eddie had wandered over to the rim of the pit. John came swinging by and brushed Eddie with his foot. Eddie started to lose his balance and I went to grab him. We both tumbled down the side. John was so startled by seeing us roll down that he let go of the rope and he went rolling down the side of the pit, too. We all three ended up in a heap at the bottom, sore and bruised. My ankle was in such pain that I was sure it had been broken. Eddie’s legs were all scratched and his pants were ripped. John had twisted his knee and it started to swell almost instantly. We had to scramble up the side, which was hard work and then we all limped home, hoping against hope that Father and Mother, but especially Father, wouldn’t notice.

"Our luck at home was as good as the luck at the pit. We opened the front gate and there was Father standing on the porch watching as we hobbled in. He and Mother cleaned our cuts and put cold compresses on our twists and sprains. They brought us to bed, and Mother brought up our dinner. The whole time he never said anything about what happened, even though it was very obvious where we had been.

"We couldn’t believe our good fortune. Father didn’t seem angry at all, and we thought he would be furious. We all went to sleep that night feeling achy but good inside. Imagine our surprise when Father woke us the next morning. ‘All right, laddies,’ he said. ‘I want you in my study, one at a time, first John, then Benjamin, then Edward.’ He stopped John from putting on his pants. ‘You won’t be needing those, boy-o.’"

"What then, Uncle Ben?" Annie had a grin from ear to ear as she listened to the story, pain forgotten.

"Well, if you think I’m strict, you didn’t know your Grandfather. Poor Eddie, he had to listen to John and me go first. He was white as a sheet when I came out of the study. Not that I felt sorry for him then. I was feeling too sorry for myself!"

Annie giggled. "Papa always told me that I got away with things that he never would have and that Grandfather Cartwright was very strict." Annie yawned and Ben helped her lie down comfortably.

"You go to sleep sweetheart. I’ll be right here if you need me."

The next few days were something of a blur for Annie. She was in pain a lot of the time and her uncle kept her dosed with the laudanum. Consequently she spent much of her time sleeping. When she was awake she was aware that her uncle was with her every time, either sitting near her or within earshot. She felt guilty, because she knew he had important work to do, but each time he brushed off her apologies.

By the end of the fifth day, Annie was starting to feel better. Her leg still hurt a lot, but she didn’t need the laudanum as much. She was awake for longer periods of time and she was starting to get restless. The doctor still wouldn’t let her get up, but she was bored sitting for so long. That night, there was a blizzard and everyone was housebound the next day. Adam, Hoss and Ben struggled outside to do the barn chores, but Joe was stuck in the house with Annie. They played what seemed like a hundred games of checkers before the men came back inside.

Adam took off his coat, shook the snow off his legs and sat in the chair next to Annie. "Want me to read to you, Annie?" She shook her head.

"Adam, what happened when you got in trouble for the book?" He gave her a puzzled look. "You said you got in trouble once for taking a book after Uncle Ben took it away from you. What happened?"

Behind Adam, Uncle Ben smiled and Hoss smirked. They both remembered the incident very clearly. Joe on the other hand pulled his chair closer to Adam and Annie. He didn’t remember the incident and he loved to hear about Adam getting into trouble. Adam looked uncomfortable, then shrugged.

"I was 12 or 13, and we were still living in New Orleans. One day, Pa and Marie left me in charge of Joe and Hoss while they went out somewhere. Maybe they were shopping, I don’t remember. Anyway, I had just gotten a new book and all I wanted to do was read. I tried to get Joe and Hoss to play by themselves, but they wanted to play with me. I played a while, then decided I was going to read. I locked the two of them in our bedroom while I went downstairs to read. I told them we were playing a game of cops and robbers and that I was locking them in jail. They thought that was fun for a while, but soon got bored. They were banging on the door and hollering and I just sat and read. Of course, Pa and Marie came home and heard the banging. Pa took one look at what I was doing, let the boys out and took the book away from me. He gave me a long lecture about responsibility, restricted me to the house for a week and told me that for the next week, I was to spend all my free time playing with Joe and Hoss, and if I didn’t play nicely, I’d regret it.

"So, I played with them for the week. On the last day of my restriction, Pa and Marie went out again, but this time they took Joe and Hoss. There was some kind of festival or something going on. I was really mad that I couldn’t go, but Pa wouldn’t let up on the restriction. Marie had started dinner and told me to mind the stove while she was gone.

"Shortly after they left I realized it was the perfect time to read my book. As long as I watched the time, I could have the book back in its place before Pa found out it was gone. Of course, once I got into my book I lost all track of time and I stopped paying attention to the stove. I was sitting in the kitchen when all of a sudden I smelled smoke. I looked up and there was smoke just billowing out of the oven. I dropped my book and I grabbed a rug to beat out the flames that were starting to shoot out the side.

"I no sooner got the fire out than I heard Pa and Marie come back to the house. I knew I was in dire straits. There was no way to clean up the mess before they came into the kitchen. What I didn’t know was that the smoke smell had already permeated the house. Pa and Marie came running into the kitchen, Hoss and Joe right behind them. Pa took one look at me, all dirty, holding a burned rug in one hand, then looked at the book on the table. He checked to make sure the fire was out, then took off his belt and tanned me right there in the kitchen in front of Marie and my brothers. Then he made me clean all the mess when all I wanted to do was hide in my room. I don’t think I got the book back for at least 2 months, but I was so busy doing chores to pay for the damage that I didn’t have a lot of time to read."

Annie and Joe both started to laugh. Annie had such trouble picturing Adam getting into trouble. He was such a grown-up in her eyes. "Did you get in trouble a lot when you were our age Adam?"

"What makes you think I did?"

"I asked Uncle Ben the other night, and he said I’d have to ask you, but that he didn’t think you would agree he was a big softy."

Adam shook his head slowly. "Nooo, I have to say I wouldn’t think he was a big softy, at least not like he is now." Here Adam winked at his father, who pretended to box his ears. "I bet Hoss wouldn’t say that either." Hoss grimaced, but Hop Sing interrupted by telling everyone it was lunchtime.

The family was eating lunch around the fireplace. Normally Ben wouldn’t allow such informality, but he wanted to keep Annie company. Hop Sing had made a delicious soup for lunch and he had even baked fresh bread. The smell had been tantalizing them all morning and they were enjoying the treat.

Annie put down her spoon and looked up at Hoss. "So, Hoss, what did Adam mean when he said you wouldn’t say Uncle Ben was a softy."

Hoss shrugged. "I don’t know what he’s talkin’ about. The only trouble I ever got into was the stuff he started." Adam rolled his eyes and Ben coughed.

"Well, son, there was the baby snake incident.. I know Adam wasn’t involved with that one."

Adam laughed so hard he almost spilled his soup. "Go on, Hoss, tell Annie that one." Hoss hesitated. "If you don’t tell her, I will. You were all fired up to hear about the trouble I got into."

"Well, Adam, I just reckoned there were a lot more stories about you than me." Ben nodded, as if in agreement. "See, Pa even agrees with me."

Ben held up his free hand in protest. "Don’t get me involved."

Joe just about jumped out of his seat. "C’mon Hoss, tell us about the snakes."

Hoss blushed, then started. "Well, we’d just started coming west. You were 3 I think Little Joe, I was 8, Adam was 12. Anyways, one day we were rolling along some trail when I saw a dead snake in the middle of the road. Musta been run over by a wagon. I did some exploring and found that it was a mama snake and it left some babies in a nest nearby. I pleaded with Pa to let us take the babies because otherwise they were gonna die, but he wouldn’t hear of it. Mama almost screamed when she heard what I wanted to do. Well, I couldn’t bear to think of them snakes dying and shoved as many as I could into my pockets. Then when we got back to the wagon, I put them into a box that I found. Unfortunately I didn’t know that was Mama’s box that she kept her letter writing things in.

"The next day, Pa and Adam went off hunting. Joe was sleeping, so Mama decided to write a letter to Tante Jeanette. Next thing I know I heard her screaming like she was being murdered. She made me get rid of all the snakes. Then she grabbed me and spanked me with her hairbrush." Hoss stopped, as though he was done with the story. Adam looked at him, then decided to finish the tale.

"What Hoss isn’t telling you is that Marie was still furious with him by the time Pa and I got back to camp. We walked into camp and she took one look at Pa. ‘Ask Eric what kind of day he had.’ she said. I took one look at Hoss standing at the back of the wagon and knew something had happened. Unfortunately for Hoss, so could Pa. Hoss tried to stammer out some kind of explanation, but Marie didn’t let him get three words out before she jumped in and finished the story. Pa was angry at Hoss for upsetting Marie and for disobeying him, so next thing we knew Pa and Hoss were on the other side of the wagon. So you see, Annie, Pa wasn’t a softy then. Poor Hoss got spanked twice for the same thing."

Ben frowned. "I’m not sure I like this conversation. You boys are making me out to be some kind of tyrant." All four children rolled their eyes. "Well, I don’t think I’m unreasonable when I expect my children to be honest, obedient and respectful. If you think I’m strict.."

"You should have known your Grandfather Cartwright." All four finished his sentence in unison.

"Pa, you’re not a tyrant, just a benevolent dictator." Adam laughed at the look on his father’s face.

"Aw, Uncle Ben, you know I think you’re just an old softy." Annie giggled.

"Yes, well this old softy thinks its time for you boys to start evening chores. Joe, the storm has stopped so you can help your brothers. I think I’ll stay in here and stay warm."

 

Annie could see the moon shining on the snow outside. The house was quiet; everyone had gone to bed a few hours previously. Even Uncle Ben was sleeping in his bed, instead of sleeping in a chair next to Annie all night. The fire had died down a little and she could feel a slight chill. Her leg ached, and she regretted not asking for a powder before Uncle Ben had gone to bed. She told him she wouldn’t need one because she was afraid he wouldn’t sleep in his own bed if he thought she was still in pain. Sleeping in the chair didn’t seem that comfortable, and he was starting to look tired.

Annie heard the noise of a door opening quietly. She pretended to be asleep, in case it was Uncle Ben. She heard someone tip toe over to the kitchen area, then heard rustling. Figuring it had to be Hoss, she opened her eyes. She could see she was wrong – it was Adam.

"Best not let Hop Sing catch you raiding his larder!" she whispered. Adam grinned and brought his snack over by the couch where Annie lay. He looked down at her.

"Can’t sleep?" Annie nodded. "Is it your leg? Do you want something for the pain?" Annie nodded again and Adam put his snack down and went to fetch a powder and some water. When he came back, he handed the water to Annie and she gulped it down. "Want some company ‘til you fall asleep?"

"I’d appreciate it." Adam pulled up a chair and started eating.

"You know, Hop Sing thinks it’s Hoss raiding the leftovers. I think he’s about to tell your Pa, he’s that annoyed."

Adam waved his bread in her direction. "Nah, he won’t do it. And if he does, I’ll tell Pa it’s me. I wouldn’t let Hoss get into trouble for something I did."

Annie bit her lower lip. "Adam? Do you think your Pa was upset when we teased him tonight?"

Adam shook his head. "He’s used to teasing, to a point anyway. We’ve never had to ask him if he was upset with us."

Annie giggled. "Like my Papa. He’d let me know if I went too far!" She paused, then looked at him. "Adam, did you ever feel guilty for loving your stepmothers?" Adam looked surprised. "I’m sorry, was that too personal?"

"No, I just wasn’t expecting the question." He sighed. "Yeah, I guess I did. I think that’s one reason I didn’t get on with Marie at first. Except there I felt guilty to Inger, not my mother. But Pa explained it to me. When he first married Inger, I remember him telling me that my mother would want me to be happy. After he was married to Marie for a while, I decided Inger would want me to be happy, too." Now it was Adam’s turn to pause. "Annie, are you feeling guilty for loving Pa?"

She shrugged. "Maybe. It’s just I’m so happy living on the Ponderosa that I feel, I don’t know, disloyal to my father a little."

"I didn’t know your Pa too well, Annie, but if he was anything like my Pa, he wouldn’t want you to feel like that. Pa would just want us to be happy and safe."

"I suppose. Papa was a lot like your Pa, maybe that’s why I like it here so much. Papa could be awfully strict sometimes. I remember when we were on the wagon train – I think I was only 4 or 5 – anyway, I remember sneaking off and finding some Indian children to play with. Papa was furious when he found me and he gave me such a spanking. I really didn’t enjoy sitting in the wagon for a few days, but he insisted I had to stay with him."

"Yeah, Pa was tough when we were traveling West, too. Thinking back now I know it was because everything was so dangerous. If I didn’t obey him right away, I could have gotten hurt. I wish I realized it then, sitting would have been a lot more comfortable!"

"Sometimes Uncle Ben really surprises me though. I thought for sure I’d get a spanking for sneaking out with Mitch during the dance. Uncle Ben started out mad, then just gave me a sad look, then warned me it’d better not happen again. Papa would have spanked me for sure."

"Which made you feel worse?" Annie looked puzzled. Adam tried again. "Did the look make you feel as bad as a spanking? He’s got a way of looking at you that can make you feel almost worse than a spanking. By the way, listen to the warning. He never forgets them, and he always remembers what he promised."

"I guess I felt pretty bad about upsetting him again. Papa had that look, too. I’m pretty lucky, though. Peggy’s uncle is real mean. If she gets into any kind of trouble, he gives her a tanning, doesn’t even ask what happened. Uncle Ben’s real fair; he always listens to my side of the story. Papa was fair too. It’s funny how much alike they are."

"Well, they are brothers after all."

"Yeah, but you and Hoss and Joe are brothers and you’re not alike."

"I think we’re more alike than people realize. We don’t look alike, and we have different mothers, but we believe in a lot of the same things. I think it comes from being raised the same, just like our fathers were."

"I wonder what Grandfather Cartwright was really like. Do you think he was as strict as they make him out to be?"

Adam shrugged. "I don’t know, but Pa’s stories certainly make him sound tougher than Pa."

"Yeah, but my father’s stories made it sound like Uncle Ben and Uncle John were the troublemakers and he only got in trouble because of them. Maybe Papa and Uncle Ben just tell those stories to make us feel like we’re lucky." Annie yawned. "Then again, I guess I do feel pretty lucky." She yawned yet again. "I think the powder’s kicking in. I’m having trouble staying awake. Leg feels a little better, too. Thanks, Adam."

Adam stood up and picked up his dishes. "I’d better get these cleaned so Hop Sing doesn’t find me out." He leaned over and kissed Annie. "See you in the morning."

Neither Adam nor Annie heard Ben’s door close. He smiled ruefully. If he caught any of the children eavesdropping on such a private conversation he would have tanned them good. Yet, it really touched him to hear his most private of sons confide his innermost feelings just to comfort his cousin. He agreed with Annie – he was pretty lucky.

 

The next morning, Ben decided that Joe would be able to go to school, and after a brief argument, and a threat from his father Joe went, grudgingly. Ben worked on the books for most of the morning and Adam and Hoss stayed around the yard repairing tools and fixing tack. Once again, the family ate lunch gathered around the fireplace. Annie was glum. She wanted to be in school, seeing her friends, talking to Mitch, but instead she was stuck at home. They had just finished eating when Ben looked at Adam.

"Adam, I’d like you to ride into town with me." Adam looked surprised, but nodded. He couldn’t think of anything they needed, and it wasn’t like Pa to just decide to go to town. Hoss looked at his father expectantly but Ben just shook his head. "Hoss, I need you to stay here and finish fixing those tools. You can keep Annie company, too. Finish up, Adam and let’s ride."

They rode in companionable silence for the entire trip into town. They had spent so much time together in 21 years that words often weren’t necessary, and they both enjoyed the quiet. They usually had Hoss, or Annie and Joe with them, and things weren’t silent then. Adam followed his father into town, and they both dismounted in front of Shelby’s saloon. Adam was surprised when his father tied up his horse and headed in, but he quickly followed.

"Ben, Adam, how you doin’ today?" Shelby was standing behind the bar, her habitual cigar hanging from one side of her mouth.

"Fine, Shelby. Business slow?" Ben looked around and realized it was an understatement.

"Yeah. Them men that make it into town want something more than whiskey to warm them up. They’re down at Jack’s hotel. What’ll be?"

"Two beers, please." Ben almost laughed. He couldn’t figure out who looked more shocked, Shelby or Adam. He took the beers and sat at a corner table. "Well, son, aren’t you going to join me? Can’t I take my own adult son to a bar for a drink without shocking him into silence?"

Adam sat down and took the beer before his father could change his mind. "Well, Pa, you’ve got to admit this doesn’t happen too often. In fact, you’ve got to admit this is a first."

Ben acknowledged Adam’s comment with a grin and a shake of his head. "Too true, son. Well, it’s a long time coming then." Ben lifted his glass. "To sons."

Adam lifted his glass in return. "To fathers, then." He took a swig from the glass and Ben looked at him.

"Well, it may be a first for you and me, but it’s obviously not a first for you." Adam looked so embarrassed that Ben laughed. "I would have been surprised if it was the first time for you, son." Ben looked serious for a minute. "Actually, Adam, I brought you here today so we could talk it private. There doesn’t seem to be a place at home for quiet conversation right now.

"Adam, a long time ago I promised something to your mother. I made the same promise to Inger and Marie and most importantly, I promised you. Ever since you learned that the marks on a paper were letters, you’ve been eager to learn. I swore that someday you would go to college. Things haven’t always worked out the way we’ve wanted, and we’ve always put that college education off. But, you’re not a boy anymore, and I don’t think we should put it off much longer. Now, I’m not saying that we’ll be ready this fall, but I think we can be ready by next fall if we put our minds to it."

Adam was shocked. This was the very last thing he expected to hear from his father. College was something he wanted since he first heard about it. He shook his head. "Pa, even if we could afford it, you need me to help work the ranch. Joe’s not old enough, and there’s more work than you and Hoss can handle."

Ben took a drink. "Adam, I will always need you, but there comes a time in a man’s life when he has to think of what he needs, not what his father needs. We’re going to need to hire hands with the addition of Annie’s ranch, so it seems like this is as good a time as any. I am going to ask that you wait until next Fall, so I can have you help me this first year, but I can’t ask anymore of you, except that you think about coming home when you’re done. I’ve been thinking a lot about this. If you go to school in Boston, you can live with your Grandfather Stoddard. Abel has already offered, more than once, he’ll be thrilled to have you with him. You can work in the shop to earn your keep, so that just leaves tuition and books and such. We’ll work it out." Ben gestured to Shelby and she brought two more beers, then beat a retreat. She had worked in saloon long enough to know when people wanted to be left alone.

Adam thought awhile. "Pa, I don’t know what to say."

Ben grinned. "Well, then, college’ll be worth every penny if it shocked you into silence!" He drained his beer. "Finish that up. I want to go see Mr. Taylor. I figure you’re going to need some tutoring if you’re going to be ready for college exams. I also want him to come out to the ranch to tutor Annie while she’s home. I think it’ll be a while before she can go back to school. We’ll ride home with Little Joe."

Riding home with Little Joe was not meant to be. They got to the school only to find that the students had already left. Mr. Taylor was packing his satchel but looked up as they entered the classroom.

"Mr. Cartwright, Adam, how good to see you."

"Where are the students, Mr. Taylor? We had hoped to ride home with Joe."

Mr. Taylor frowned. "Well, I let the students go early. I wasn’t sure if those were snow clouds and I hate the idea of the students getting caught in a storm. But, I assumed you were here to explain why Joe hasn’t been to school in a week. I knew Annie had broken her leg, but I haven’t heard that Joe was ill."

Ben looked confused. "Joseph should have been here just about every day this week, except for the day of the big storm. Are you saying he’s not been here?" Ben frowned. "That boy! He’s been playing hooky and then telling me he was in school. You wait until I get my hands on him!" Ben nodded. "He’ll be here tomorrow, Mr. Taylor, you may be sure of that." The two men shook hands and Ben started to leave. He turned suddenly. "Mr. Taylor, I almost forgot why I came here in the first place!" He quickly outlined his requests and the fee he was prepared to pay and Mr. Taylor readily agreed. He would to the Ponderosa beginning this Saturday and he would work with Annie and with Adam both.

Adam and Ben rode home in silence once again. Adam was still thinking about the possibility of going to college and Ben was lost in thoughts of Joe and what he was going to do with the boy when they got home. Not only had he played hooky, but he had lied to his father as well. Lying was simply inexcusable, and Ben wouldn’t tolerate it. He shook his head. He doubted Joe would think his father was a softy tonight.

They stabled the horses and Ben was pleased to see that the barn chores were done. Hoss’s doing, no doubt, not Joseph’s. They crossed the yard and hurried into the house. Joe and Annie were sitting in front of the fire, giggling. Hoss was trying to get some food from the kitchen, but Hop Sing kept waving his wooden spoon in Hoss’s face. All activity stopped as Adam and Ben came into the house. Annie’s greeting died on her lips when she saw the thunderous look on her uncle’s face.

"Joseph, I need to see you in the barn." Joe blanched; his father’s tone was colder than the outside air and he knew instantly that he had been caught. He got up and put on his coat. His father grabbed his arm and practically dragged him outside.

Hoss looked at Adam. "What was that all about?"

Adam rolled his eyes. "Joe hasn’t been to school since Annie broke her leg."

Annie gasped. "But I heard him tell Uncle Ben that he had been to school. You mean he lied?" Adam nodded and Annie shook her head. "Uncle Ben’s gonna kill him!"

A little while later, Joe came into the house. He didn’t say anything, he didn’t look at anyone, just hung up his coat and went to his room, closing the door behind him. Ben came in a short while later, also not saying anything. He just stood in front of the fire and stared into the flames for a long time.

 

Annie was awakened by the sound of someone rummaging through the leftovers. "Adam?" she called out softly.

"No, Joe." He brought over his snack and stood near her. "I didn’t feel much like eating at dinner, but I’m hungry now."

Annie shook her head. "How’d you think you’d get away with that one? Where’d you go when you weren’t at school?"

Joe shrugged. "I didn’t really think much of the consequences." He rolled his eyes. "Pa had a lot to say about that, believe me! Me and some of the guys found an old abandoned cabin and we stayed there."

"What guys?"

"Mitch, Seth, a couple of others." He leaned against the chair closest to the couch.

"Now that Mr. Taylor’s figured out you were playing hooky, he’s gonna figure they were too."

"Seth’s father won’t care."

"Mitch’s will. He’ll get a hiding for sure. Sit down and keep me company while you eat." Annie gestured to the chair.

"Standing’s fine. Pa was real angry ‘cuz I wouldn’t tell him what we were doing."

"What were you doing?"

"I’m not going to tell you so you can tell him."

Annie looked mad. "How many times do I gotta tell you, I’m not a tattletale!"

"It’s better if you don’t know."

"Joe, are you breaking the law?"

"Nah, nothing like that. Just stuff I know Pa wouldn’t like if he found out. It’s better if you don’t know."

Annie shook her head again. "When have you ever done something really wrong and your father not found out about it? You know he always does, and if he does find out you’ll just get another tanning."

Joe shrugged. "I’ll worry about that when it happens."

"Well, if you’re smart you won’t play hooky anymore. Mr. Taylor’ll be here every week and you know he’ll tell Uncle Ben if you’re not in school."

Joe looked embarrassed. "Pa’s going to bring me to school everyday, just like I was a little kid."

"You can’t think you don’t deserve that."

"Aw, Annie, it’s bad enough I gotta listen to Pa’s lectures, I don’t want to hear it from you too. When you’d turn into such a goody-two-shoes?"

"Pardon me for not letting you wallow in self-pity. I gotta go to sleep." Annie closed her eyes and pretended to sleep. In truth, she was really worried about Joe. Some of the boys that Seth hung around with were pretty rough and she wasn’t sure she believed Joe when he said they weren’t doing anything illegal. It must have been pretty bad if Joe was willing to take the extra punishment that went along with refusing to tell his father what they were doing. She heard Joe close the bunkroom door. Her leg hurt and she regretted not asking Joe to get her something for the pain. Well, she wasn’t going to wake anyone else up tonight.

It seemed like everyone was in a bad mood the next morning. Annie was grumpy because she hadn’t slept well, Joe was sulking over his tanning, and Ben was still upset with Joe for playing hooky and for not telling where he was going. Adam and Hoss were annoyed with Joe because whenever Pa was upset with one son, he was short-tempered with all his sons. Only Hop Sing seemed to be impervious to the bad mood settling around the house.

"Breakfast is ready. Come eat." They all settled around the fireplace and he handed them bowls of steaming oatmeal. Annie groaned when she saw what was in the bowl. Ben looked at her sharply.

"Annie, I don’t want to hear complaints. Just eat."

"I didn’t say anything. But, since you asked, I’m sick of oatmeal. I hate oatmeal and I’m not gonna eat oatmeal!"

Ben frowned and half rose from his seat. "I didn’t ask, but you’ll eat it or else!"

"Or else what? You’ll restrict me to this half of the couch?" Now Ben got up and leaned over Annie.

"I may not be able to give you the spanking you deserve, but if you talk to me like that again, I’ll wash your mouth out with soap. Do you understand?" Annie just looked at him, arms crossed, mouth in a pout. He moved as though to head to the sink.

"Yes, sir." Annie picked up her spoon and started to eat. Her cousins had been watching with a mix of amusement and incredulity. They knew she was pushing her luck, but she never seemed to figure that out on her own. Ben turned to them.

"You boys hurry up and finish the barn chores, then Adam, Hoss I need you to check the cattle. Be home for lunch. Joseph, you be sure to get all your chores done quickly. I don’t want to be late getting you to school."

"Pa, you don’t really have to take me.." Joe squirmed uncomfortably.

"Actually, Joseph, I think you’ve proven that I need to do just that." Joe scowled but wisely kept his mouth shut.

Pretty soon the house was empty except for Annie and Hop Sing. Annie sat sulking for a few minutes until Hop Sing came over with a basket of mending. "Here. I need this done today." Annie looked at him, startled out of her misery.

"But," she stammered and pointed to her leg.

"Leg broken, not arm. You can mend." He left the basket within easy reach and walked away. Annie looked at it for a minute, sighed and picked up one of Hoss’s socks that needed darning. Before she knew it, her uncle was back from taking Joe to school. She looked up as he hung up his coat and hat and walked over to the fire.

"Hop Sing asked me to help him." She answered his unasked question. "After all, my leg’s broken, not my arm." She heard Hop Sing stifle a snicker in the background. "Uncle Ben, about this morning, I’m sorry for being disrespectful. It’s just..I mean..I’m just getting tired of sitting here."

He sat next to her. "I understand. We’ll let it go this time, but I think you know how I feel about being spoken to like that." She nodded. "I saw Dr. Martin today; he’s going to ride out this afternoon and see how you’re doing. If he likes what he sees, he’ll leave some crutches and you can get off the couch."

"Could I take a bath?" Ben shrugged. "Uncle Ben, you were real mad with Joe yesterday, weren’t you."

"Annie, you know I won’t talk about Joe’s troubles." Something in her voice made him look at her again. It was as though she was begging him to ask her about it. "Annie, do you know what Joe’s been up to?"

"No, sir, I don’t know what he’s been doing." Once again, Ben was struck by the odd inflection in her voice.

"Annie, do you know where he’s been going?" Annie nodded, but wouldn’t look at him. "Annie, where has Joe been going? Look at me when I’m talking to you, please."

Annie looked up. "He and Mitch and Seth found an abandoned cabin and they’ve been going there with some of Seth’s friends that don’t go to school." The words rushed out all in one breath and Annie looked decidedly relieved.

They were both startled by a knock on the door. Hop Sing opened it and George Devlin came in, taking off his hat as he entered. "Morning, Ben. Morning, Annie. How are you feeling?"

"My leg’s better, sir, thank you for asking. I was hoping Mitch could come to visit sometime."

"That won’t be possible for a while, I’m afraid. Ben, can I speak with you for a moment?" The two men talked out of earshot, but Annie just knew they were talking about Mitch and Joe. Uncle Ben turned towards Hop Sing.

"Mr. Devlin and I are going for a ride. I’ll be home before lunch."

Annie spent the rest of the morning working on mending and folding laundry. She was feeling better now that she had something useful to do. She knew Uncle Ben wanted everyone to pull his or her own weight, and while she knew he didn’t begrudge her for being injured, she didn’t want to add to everyone’s work load. Hopefully Dr. Martin would let her up and about when he checked on her this afternoon.

Adam and Hoss returned shortly before lunchtime. "Where’s Pa? I gotta ask him something." Hoss looked around to see if Pa was home.

"He and Mr. Devlin went off a few hours ago. He said he’d be home before lunch." Annie looked at Hoss. "Hoss, could I ask you something?" He sat in the chair next to her. "Is it tattling if you know something, and someone asks and you tell because you know it would be wrong to lie?" Hoss looked confused. Adam came towards the fire and sat in the chair opposite Hoss. He nodded towards Annie.

"You mean, you know where Joe’s been going when he played hooky and Pa asked you, so you told him because it was a direct question and you know better than to lie and now you’re worried that Joe’s going to think you’re a tattletale?" Annie nodded, but Hoss looked only slightly less confused.

"Last night Joe told me where he and Mitch were going. He wouldn’t tell me what they were doing, only that it wasn’t illegal. But, he said they were hanging out with Seth and a couple of his friends, and I know those boys are trouble. I was afraid Joe was going to do something that would land him in deep trouble, or get him hurt or arrested, but I told him I wouldn’t tell Uncle Ben. Then, this morning, Uncle Ben asked me if I knew what Joe was doing. I said no, ‘cuz I didn’t, but then he asked if I knew where Joe was going and I had to tell him, didn’t I?"

"Well, if it’s any comfort, I think you did the right thing, but I don’t think Joe’s going to think so, depending on what Pa finds." Adam stood up as he heard horses enter the yard. "That must be Pa now."

Hoss stood up, too. "I think Adam’s right, but I know iffen Pa found out you knew what Joe was up ta, but didn’t tell, you’d be in as much trouble as Joe. And Pa’d find out, he always does."

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of Ben opening the door and then slamming it closed. He glared at his two sons, who just looked at him, confused. "Adam, I want to see you in my room." Ben threw his hat and coat on the table and strode into his room. Adam looked at Hoss, then quickly followed his father. The bedroom door closed and Annie and Hoss strained to hear the conversation. It was mostly muffled, but they could hear Ben ask something about books, then Jack Wolfe, and then Adam’s vehement denial. A minute later, the door opened and Hoss and Annie tried to look innocent. Fortunately only Adam came out of the room. He pointed to Hoss. "He wants to see you." Hoss swallowed nervously, then headed into the room, closing the door.

Adam sat in the chair next to Annie and just covered his eyes. "What is it Adam? What’s wrong?" Annie leaned as close to him as she could.

"Joe’s got something he shouldn’t, and Pa wanted to make sure I didn’t give it to him. As if I would ever have anything like that!"

"Like what?"

"A book with pictures of nak..Never mind. " Just then they heard the door open and a beet-faced Hoss came out. Adam hurried over to Hoss and once again, Annie strained to hear the conversation.

"Did you ever see anything like that Adam? Lord a mercy, where did Joe get his hands on a book like that. I don’t even think Jack Wolfe would have a book like that." Adam tried desperately to get Hoss to shush, as he could see Annie watching them. Hoss finished with "I’m glad I’m not Joe."

 

Ben came out of his room and looked in as bad a mood as anyone had seen him in a long, long time. Annie, Hoss and Adam were very careful to stay out of his way, and even Hop Sing approached him with trepidation to announce that lunch was ready. No one dared speak during lunch, and Hoss withered under his father’s glare when he banged his fork too loudly on the plate.

Hop Sing had just started cleaning the lunch dishes when they heard a buggy pull into the yard. Hoss went to the window. "It’s Dr. Martin, Pa. Hey Adam, can you help me in the barn? I got some tack to fix." Normally Adam hated fixing tack, but he jumped at the chance to leave the house. They opened the door just as Dr. Martin was about to knock.

"Ah, Adam, would you please bring in the crutches I left in the buggy? Thank you." Dr. Martin hurried over to Annie’s side. "And how is my prettiest patient doing today?" Annie smiled in spite of her bad mood.

"I’m all right. My leg still hurts some at night, but it’s fine during the day." She lifted the blanket off her leg and he bent to take a look.

"I think she’s a bit anxious to get onto those crutches." Uncle Ben observed. He smiled at Annie, but it wasn’t a very happy smile.

Dr. Martin stood up and took the crutches from Adam, who hurried back outside. "Well, young lady, let’s see how you do. Now I’m going to warn you, you’ve been lying on your back for a week. Your good leg will be stiff, and you’re going to feel a bit dizzy as you stand." He held out his hand, and he and Ben managed to get Annie to a standing position. After a few minutes of instruction, she started walking hesitantly on her crutches. After a few minutes of practice, she was doing a decent job. Dr. Martin nodded, pleased with her efforts.

"Mr. Cartwright, she’s doing very well, very well indeed. I think she’ll need the cast for about 7 more weeks, and I don’t think she should go out in a buggy or a wagon while it’s still cold, but she should be able to move around the house fairly well."

"Please Doctor, call me Ben. Would you like some coffee?"

The two men sat down at the table while Hop Sing brought them some coffee. Annie practiced walking into her room, and then to the kitchen. Uncle Ben and the doctor were deep in conversation. Annie heard the doctor ask Uncle Ben if everything was all right, and then she heard a whispered response. All she could make out was "Joe" and she thought she heard her name once or twice when she decided she’d best not get caught eavesdropping. She hobbled over to Hop Sing. He smiled and handed her a knife. She leaned on one crutch and tried chopping vegetables. Not her best work, but she was still pleased.

"It will be easier if you sit at table."

She nodded. "Maybe later." Hop Sing nodded back. "Wise decision."

Finally Dr. Martin stood up. "Thank you for the coffee, Hop Sing." He picked up his coat and his bag and looked at Annie. "You behave yourself, young lady. I’ve told your uncle that you’re getting well, and can do most of your normal chores. Just be sure to rest regularly."

Ben shook the Doctor’s hand. "Thank you, Paul and we’ll see you in a week or so." He followed the doctor out the door, and after the buggy pulled away he called for Adam. "Hitch the team, please. It’s time for me to get your brother."

Uncle Ben was a long time picking up Joe. Hoss kept looking out the window. "He must be hollerin’ the whole way home. Wait, here they are. Pa’s just pointin’ towards the house. Looks like he’s gonna unhitch the team. I don’t wanna go volunteer, that’s for dang sure." Hoss quickly moved away from the window.

Joe stormed into the house and slammed the door. He threw down his hat and coat and glared at Annie who was leaning on her crutches by her bedroom door. "YOU PROMISED!!" he screamed at he. "YOU SAID YOU WOULDN’T TELL!!"

Adam and Hoss looked stunned by Joe’s assault. Annie paled. "But he asked, Joe. He asked if I knew where you were going. You didn’t expect me to lie, did you?" Her lips trembled.

"I EXPECTED YOU TO KEEP YOUR PROMISE! WHY’D YOU HAVE TO COME HERE ANYWAY? I HATE YOU!!!"

"I CAME HERE BECAUSE MY FATHER DIED, YOU SELFISH LITTLE BRAT!!" Annie picked up the object nearest to her, Uncle Ben’s tobacco canister and threw it at Joe’s head with all her might. Joe barely managed to duck, then he launched himself at her. The movement shocked Hoss and Adam into action. Adam threw himself at Joe, picking the boy up before he could reach Annie. Hoss placed himself in front of Annie, both protecting her and preventing her from throwing anything else. Adam literally threw Joe into the bunkroom and closed the door. Hoss picked up the badly dented canister and shook his head. "Ain’t no way to hide this, Annie." Annie just sniffed and hobbled into her room.

She sat on the edge of the bed and sobbed quietly. She heard Uncle Ben come in and she could hear him talking to Hoss and Adam in an angry tone. She could hear them quietly explain what happened, then she heard him walking towards her door. He didn’t even knock; he just opened the door and came in.

"You may be interested to know that Dr. Martin has given me permission to spank you if I need to. You’ve been walking a very fine line, young lady." Annie wouldn’t even look at her uncle. "We have talked and talked about your temper. How much more talk do you expect?"

"He said he hated me." She whispered.

"I’ll talk to him. He doesn’t hate you; he is just feeling sorry for himself. Now, about your temper."

"It was an accident."

"What was?"

"Denting your tin. I didn’t mean to dent it."

"Let me guess. If you had hit Joe, it wouldn’t have dented." Annie shrugged.

"You’ll spend the rest of the night in your room and you’ll go to bed without supper. You will have to replace the tin and the tobacco. No allowance until it’s replaced. The way I figure it, it will be at least August before you get an allowance again. I think that can stand for your punishment for now, but you’re on notice. For a girl who has to spend most of her time sitting, you’re doing your best to make sure it’s uncomfortable." Annie nodded; she understood what her uncle was telling her. "Now I have to see Joe. Get ready for bed."

Annie changed into her nightgown, then eased into her bed. After a week of sleeping on the couch it felt good to be in her room again.

She woke up in the middle of the night. She was incredibly hungry and her leg hurt. She hauled herself up and got the crutch. She hobbled out to the kitchen and cut herself a slice of bread. After a minute, she realized she wasn’t alone. Joe was sitting on the couch, staring into the fire. She hobbled towards him.

"You’re getting good with those." He said softly.

"Yeah. It feels good to get up." She eased herself into the chair next to him. "I’m sorry you got another tanning."

She could barely see Joe shake his head. "I didn’t. I’m restricted ‘til he decides otherwise. Look, I’m sorry I yelled at you. I didn’t mean anything I said. It’s just, well, he said something." Annie looked at Joe. "He lectured me the whole way home from school. As we got home, he told me he’s never been so ashamed of me, and he was glad.." Joe paused, his eyes welling with tears. "He said he was glad Mama wasn’t here to see what I’d done." Annie was stunned. She couldn’t think of a worse thing for Joe to hear.

"What did you do that made him so mad?"

"You don’t know?"

Annie shook her head. "No, he came home in a fury. He called Hoss and Adam into his room and I couldn’t really hear anything. They wouldn’t tell me what he said."

Joe winced. "Great, I got them in trouble somehow. Tommy, Seth’s friend, had these books with pictures of naked women. Pa and Mr. Devlin found them along with some whiskey and cards at the cabin. Annie, I didn’t even look at the books, but he wouldn’t let me explain. He just kept talkin’ and talkin’. I don’t know what I’m going to do."

Both children jumped slightly at the sound of Ben’s door opening. "Annie, could you go to bed, please. I need to talk to Joe." Annie hobbled back to her room and as she turned to close the door she saw her uncle holding Joe close as he led him into his room.

 

The family sat down to breakfast the next morning. Adam and Hoss didn’t know what happened, but they could tell Joe and Pa were in much better moods than the night before. Hop Sing started to serve everyone, but Ben stopped him with a gesture. "In a minute, please, Hop Sing."

"Boys, Annie, yesterday I accused Joe of some pretty terrible things. I couldn’t believe one of my sons would act that way, and I was very angry. I didn’t give Joe a chance to explain or defend himself and I said some awful things to him. Last night, I found out that I was wrong. Seeing as I made my accusations in front of all of you, it’s only right that I should make my apologies in front of you, too. Joe, I’m sorry."

Joe looked almost sheepish, and he just nodded. His father had actually apologized the night before, before they fell asleep together. He was still restricted to the ranch for two weeks, because he did drink some of the whiskey and play cards when he should have been at school, but at least his father forgave him. Joe hated being at odds with his father.

Hop Sing served breakfast and Annie was relieved to see it wasn’t oatmeal. She thought about her uncle’s apology. Not too many adults would apologize to their children, but Uncle Ben always apologized if he made a mistake.

Ben started listing the chores that needed to be done that day. He told Annie that now she was up and about, he expected her to help Hop Sing in anyway she could, but that he also expected her to rest frequently. He told Adam and Hoss they needed to haul more firewood; he was concerned they might get caught short if there was a big storm. The two groaned. They figured they had enough firewood to last ten years, but they didn’t say anything. Once their Pa got an idea about keeping his family safe, they knew nothing would change his mind. They all finished breakfast and headed off their separate ways.

Annie sat at the table chopping vegetables. Hop Sing was right; it was easier chopping the vegetables while sitting down. It was too much to do while leaning on a crutch. She had just gotten up to get a cloth to wipe the cutting board when she heard a knock on the door. "I’ll answer it Hop Sing." She hobbled over to the door and opened it, only to see a tall, dark haired man about to knock again. He looked vaguely familiar.

"Is this the home of Ben Cartwright?"

"Yes sir, but he’s not home right now. He should be back in a few minutes, though." Annie hesitated. She wasn’t sure if she should invite the man in, but she heard Hop Sing come up behind her.

"Please come in. Mr. Cartwright be home soon." Annie stepped aside and the tall man entered, removing his hat and coat. "Please come sit by fire. Coffee?" The man nodded and stood by the fire warming his hands. Annie hobbled towards him.

The man looked down at her curiously. "I didn’t know Ben had a daughter." He frowned as if this was something he should have known.

Annie shook her head. "No, sir, I’m not his daughter. I’m his niece, Annie."

The man looked startled. "Annie? Is Eddie here then?"

It was Annie’s turn to look startled, then sad. "No, sir, my father died last June. How did you know him?"

The man turned white and sat down suddenly. Tears glistened in his eyes, and he rubbed them with his hand. "Eddie? How..what happened? Oh, Annie, I am so sorry. I didn’t know, no one told me." Annie just looked more confused, wondering why this man thought he should know. Her confusion must have been apparent, because he gave her a half smile. "You don’t know who I am, do you? I guess you shouldn’t. You were very small the last time I saw you."

"Uncle John?"

 

Annie spent an hour getting acquainted with her uncle. The only time he had ever seen her was when she was a baby in St. Louis. She was just telling him about some of her experiences on the Ponderosa when they heard a wagon in the yard. "That’s probably Uncle Ben now."

John strode to the door and threw it open. "What a landlubber you’ve become, Benjamin Cartwright, driving a horse and wagon!" Annie stifled a giggle as she heard her Uncle Ben exclaim ‘what the hell?’ and then he ran up the steps.

"John? Is that really you?" The two men embraced, then thumped each other soundly. Behind Ben, Hoss and Adam were amazed at their father’s reaction.

"It’s me, little brother. I’ve come to see this beautiful Ponderosa of yours." The two men came into the house. Hoss and Adam hurried to put up the team so they could meet their father’s older brother.

"What are you doing here?"

"I told you, I’ve come to visit. I came to Eagle Station, asked for directions to the ranch and I was greeted by this lovely young lady. We’ve spent the past hour catching up."

Ben sobered immediately. "You know about Ed, then." John nodded. "I tried writing, but I guess you didn’t stay around the farm in Ohio after Martha died."

"No, we sold the place, then Will took off to parts unknown and I started wandering for a while. I decided it was high time I visited my brothers. I’m sorry I’m too late for Ed."

Chores were forgotten as the two brothers caught up on the past fifteen years. Adam, Hoss and Annie listened without making a sound. Hop Sing served lunch and still the two men talked. Finally Ben pushed away from the table. "John, the boys and I have some chores to do. You can stay and keep Annie company, then you can ride into town with me. We’ll return that rented horse to Big Dan when we pick up Little Joe."

"Ben, if it’s all the same to you, I’d like to help with the chores." John turned to Annie. "not that I don’t enjoy spending time with this lovely young lady" here he smiled when Annie blushed "but I could use some exercise. Haven't had much lately."

"Come on then. We'll see if you can keep up with my boys. Annie, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, Uncle Ben. I'll help Hop Sing with dinner. I'm not tired at all."

The men went outside and Annie and Hop Sing started cooking. Well, Annie started to help. Hop Sing had been cooking for most of the day. He wanted a special dinner ready for Mr. Cartwright's brother. After a couple of hours, Hoss and Adam came in.

Adam dropped his hat on the table. "Pa and Uncle John have headed into town to fetch Joe." Annie looked at her two cousins.

"We've gotta get him alone."

"Who? Joe?" Hoss looked mystified.

"No, silly, Uncle John. Just imagine the stories he can tell. He's older than either my Papa or your father. He knows everything they did. I bet he can tell us a few things that Uncle Ben has 'forgotten' to mention!"

Both men grinned. "Ya know, Annie, you're pretty sneaky for a girl." Hoss looked at her and laughed.

Dinner was very noisy, or at least as noisy as Ben would let it get. John was regaling them with stories of his gold mining days. Fortunately, or so Ben thought, John never really struck it rich and he was upfront about the hardships. Otherwise his three sons would be heading off for the gold fields in the morning. After Hop Sing served dessert, Ben noticed Annie was getting a bit drowsy.

"Annie, it's time for bed."

Her head popped up. "I'm not tired Uncle Ben, honest."

His right eyebrow rose. "Annie, today's your first full day on crutches. It's time for you to go to bed."

Annie's eyes narrowed. "But I told you I'm not tired." Her cousins all shook their heads. John hid a smile. Ben just frowned.

"Annie, do you need me to carry you to bed?" Annie just looked at him, arms crossed. Ben tilted his head slightly, sighed and started to push back his chair. Annie held up her hands.

"I'm going, Uncle Ben. I guess I am a little tired. Good night, Uncle John, good night Hop Sing, good night cousins." Everyone said good night to her as she hobbled into her room.

Ben smiled slightly. "I'll be in to say good night in a few minutes."

John laughed quietly after her door closed. "She's her father's daughter, that one is!"

Ben nodded "And then some!"

 

The fire was starting to die down. The boys had all gone to bed hours before and Ben and John had stayed up late talking.

"Ben, I envy you. You're doing well here, and you've been so lucky with your sons."

"Luck had nothing to do with my sons, John." John bowed his head at his brother's unspoken reprimand.

"You're right, of course. If I had my life to live over, I'd be a better father and husband. I just always had this urge to wander. You know it started when I was a boy, and I never got over it. Sometimes I think it would have been better if I had never married." They sat quietly for a few minutes, lost in their own thoughts. "Ben, I have something important to tell you. I've decided to go back to sea."

Ben looked startled. "At your age? Sailing's a young man's job."

"Who are you calling old? I'm only 44. The Captain was older than that when he retired." Like Ben and Ed, John had spent a few years sailing with Abel Stoddard, and he was always 'the Captain' to the brothers.

"He didn't retire, he was forced out. Besides, you'd be a seaman, not a Captain. That's a hard life."

"Ben, don't you miss the ocean? The waves, the salt air, the hunt for the whale?"

"The bad rations, the fetid water, the cramped conditions you mean." Ben shrugged. "I suppose if I were being completely honest I'd say I missed it a little. But not enough to go back to it."

"That's because you have a ranch and sons. I've got nothing. I know, I know, it's my own fault, but still I have nothing. I've made up my mind. In fact, I'm actually heading to San Francisco to sign on. I came to let you know."

They talked for a few more minutes when Ben yawned. "Morning comes early. If I'm going to sleep at all, I'd better go to bed. Are you sure you won't take my bed?"

"No, I'll bunk with the boys. I've got to get used to it again, don't I?"

 

The next morning found everyone sitting at the breakfast table. Annie took one look at her bowl and groaned.

"Anna Marie, not one word or so help me.." Ben stopped when his brother started to laugh.

"Not an oatmeal fan, are you Annie?" She shook her head. "You know, I was just telling Ben last night how much you are like your father. He hated oatmeal, too."

"Really? But he ate it, I remember he did."

"Well, sometimes adults eat things they don't like just because there's no choice. Ben, do you remember the breakfast fights over oatmeal?"

Ben smiled as old memories flooded forth.

"Annie, I remember one time your father and your grandmother had a huge row over oatmeal. He was eight or nine at the time. Do you remember, Ben? I thought for sure Eddie wouldn't be sitting for lunch, but that's not what happened. You see, Mother had called us all to breakfast. Eddie was late getting up, as usual, and he only came running down when Father threatened to go get him. The most painful way to start a day was to have Father wake you. Anyway, on this particular morning, Eddie sat down at the table with such a noise that Mother actually cracked the spoon over his head before she dished out the oatmeal. Your grandmother was a stickler for table manners and she was quick with her spoon. Well, Eddie took one look at the bowl and he pushed it away. 'I'm not gonna eat oatmeal, I'm sick of it." Father took one look at him and told him that he'd eat that oatmeal and be quiet about it. Mother surprised us all by picking up the bowl of oatmeal and taking it from the table. 'If you're not going to eat, young man, you are excused from the table.' Eddie looked victorious. 'Yes, ma'am.' Up he got and he headed into the kitchen. She grabbed his arm. 'Just where do you think you're going?' 'To get something to eat.' 'Oh, no, young man. You eat what you're served or you don't eat.' Eddie sat down. 'Fine, I'll eat the oatmeal.' Mother just shook her head. 'No, you don't want it. Go do your chores.' Eddie looked like he was going to cry. 'But Mother, I'm hungry.' She just shook her head. 'You can eat at lunch, then.' Eddie appealed to Father, but he just shook his head. 'You heard your mother. Go do your chores.' Eddie fled the table and Father looked at Ben and me. 'If I catch either of you sneaking food out to him, you'll both have extra chores for a month.' We both shook our heads. There was no way we'd risk the extra chores just for a stupid little brother who didn't know enough to eat what he's served. Then when lunch came around, Mother dished out wonderful bowls of chowder for all of us except Eddie. She handed him his bowl of oatmeal, which was cold and lumpy by then. He didn't say a word. He just sat and ate it."

Ben laughed as he pictured the scene in his mind. John kept talking. "So, Annie, if you think Ben is strict, you didn't know.."

"Your Grandfather Cartwright!" Four voices finished the sentence. John laughed. "Actually, I was going to say 'your Grandmother Cartwright' but your Grandfather was strict as well."

Annie giggled when she pictured her father as a little boy, eating a bowl of cold oatmeal. She picked up her spoon and ate the oatmeal without another word, just in case Uncle Ben had gotten some ideas from Uncle John's story.

 

After they ate breakfast, Ben reminded Annie and Adam that Mr. Taylor would be coming to the ranch that morning to begin tutoring them both. "You both need to have your chores done, so no dallying." He didn't really need to say that though, because both were looking forward to the schooling. Joe and Hoss just didn't understand those two; being in school on a Saturday was the last thing they'd want. Even the list of chores Pa gave them didn't sound as bad as school. "While you four are busy, I'm going to show Uncle John the Ponderosa. We'll be home for lunch."

Annie had just finished the folding when she heard Mr. Taylor ride up. She quickly piled all the folded clothes into the basket for Hop Sing to carry away and she went to retrieve her books. She couldn't figure out how to carry them while using the crutches, though and she stood staring at the pile until Hop Sing came in with her clothes. "I will carry those. Hurry, must not keep teacher waiting." She thanked Hop Sing and followed him out to the main room just as Mr. Taylor knocked on the door.

"Hello, Annie, it's nice to see you out and about. Adam's taking care of my horse, he'll be just a few minutes. How are you feeling?"

"Better, sir, thank you for asking. Would you like some coffee?" Annie asked before she realized she couldn't get it for him. Fortunately, Hop Sing was ready with a cup.

"Thank you, Hop Sing. Now Annie, let's see how you've been keeping up with lessons." Adam soon joined the two and they worked on lessons for the rest of the morning. They finished up just as they heard Ben and John ride back into the yard. Annie guessed that Joe and Hoss must have volunteered to take care of the horses, because the two men came through the door quickly.

"John, welcome to the Ponderosa. I hope these two scallywags have been behaving themselves." Annie giggled at the thought of Adam misbehaving.

"They've both been very attentive, Ben, and I'm pleased to report that Annie has not fallen behind on her lessons at all."

Ben looked at his niece fondly. "Well, she didn't have much to do sitting on the sofa all those days; I'm glad to see she used her time wisely. John, I'd like you to meet my older brother, John Cartwright."

The two Johns shook hands. "Annie's been telling me about you, Mr. Cartwright."

"John, please. Hopefully she's had something good to say." Uncle John reached over and tugged Annie's braid, making her giggle more. Just then Hoss and Joe burst through the door. "Hey, Mr. Taylor."

"Joseph, how are you doing?" Joe just nodded. He wasn't really sure what to do with a teacher when they weren't in school.

"Well, Ben, I guess I'll be going now."

Ben shook his head. "Nonsense. It's just about lunchtime and I insist you join us. Consider it part of the job."

The teacher nodded. "Well, I have to admit that Hop Sing's cooking is better than my own, so I thank you for your offer."

They all sat while Hop Sing served lunch. Annie looked in horror as Hop Sing placed a bowl of cold, lumpy oatmeal in front of her. She looked up. "But, but, I ate!" She looked in appeal to Uncle Ben, but he just looked at her sternly. She looked at Uncle John, but he just shook his head. Then she looked at Hop Sing, who just started to laugh.

"No more complaints?"

Annie shook her head. "No more complaints, Hop Sing. I promise!" She looked relieved when he took the bowl away from her and replaced it with a bowl of soup.

Ben took a sip of his soup and looked at Annie. "So, what did you study today?"

"We talked about the Boston Tea Party, Uncle Ben. What a great story!"

Uncle John looked thoughtful. "Ben, do you remember Uncle John's stories about the Tea Party?" Everyone turned to him. Ben nodded.

"I haven't thought of those stories in years. Why don't you tell them, John?"

"Annie, did your father ever tell you the story about how his great-Uncle John and his Grandfather Benjamin were at the Boston Tea Party?" Annie shook her head. "Well, they were both young men, in their mid-teens. They were working with their father, a sail maker, and John was earning some extra spending money by running errands for Samuel Adams and the Sons of Liberty. He didn't tell his father, though, because he thought his father would forbid it..."

The two young men sat in the backroom bent over their sails straining to see in the late December afternoon. They both knew if they didn't have their work finished by the end of the day, they'd not be sitting comfortably at their work the next day. Their father was in a bad mood ever since the Beaver, the Dartmouth and the Eleanor sailed into port. He kept muttering about all the troubles and how the Sons of Liberty were just going to bring the wrath of the king down upon Boston. Right now he was in the front room talking with Mr. Jenkins down the street. The boys couldn't hear what he was saying, but they could hear his tone. They redoubled their efforts.

"Ben," whispered John. "Something's going to happen tonight, I tell you. Mr. Adams has something planned. There's going to be a meeting tonight at Old South. Mr. Adams is going to speak, and maybe some others. I think they're going to dump the tea. I mean to be there."

Ben looked out into the main room. "Shhh. Father might hear. Do you not think Governor Hutchinson will send the tea back?"

"Never. He's determined to have his way, and Mr. Adams is determined to have his." Both boys straightened up as their Father came back into the room.

"Benjamin, John, I have to go out this evening. When you've finished your work, go back into the house. I don't want either of you to leave this house for any reason. Do you understand?"

Both boys nodded their heads. Normally their father would expect them to answer, but he seemed distracted today. Father left and they soon finished their tasks. They hurried into the house and ate the meal their mother placed in front of them. She too seemed distracted and soon retired to her room. The boys cleaned up the dishes, then made noises of going into their room. Once there, however, they quickly climbed out the window and headed towards Old South. John stopped to grab an ax from the storeroom, 'just in case' he said. They soon walked into a mob of men.

"Half of Boston must be here!" Ben was amazed; he had never seen so many people on the streets.

"Mr. Adams has called to the neighboring towns. I heard men from all over the colony are here tonight. Hurry. I want to get in."

To John's disappointment, they only managed to squeeze into the back and could hear very little of the speeches. However, that soon didn't matter and they were cheering and booing with the rest of the crowd. Suddenly the crowd grew very quiet as a messenger appeared at Samuel Adams elbow. Adams waved for silence. "Gentlemen. This meeting can do no more to save this country." Obviously that was a signal for many of the men, as a great roar shook the crowd and the men surged out towards Griffin's Wharf. Ben and John joined the crowd of about 200 men who boarded the ships.

"John, look, some of the men are dressed up as Indians. You don't think the Governor's going to believe it's Mohawks doing this do you?"

"Nah, they're just trying to disguise themselves. C'mon." John started swinging his ax, and he and Ben lifted the tea over the side of the ship. A strange silence hung over the Harbor as the men worked and the crowd watched.

The night's work done, the two brothers shook out their shoes to get rid of any tattle-tale tea leaves and headed home arm in arm, both feeling like they had struck a blow against tyranny. A fifer struck up a tune and the crowd was feeling pretty good. Then, a grand looking man stepped out of his house. "Well boys, you have had a fine, pleasant evening for your Indian caper, haven't you?" he said "But mind, you have got to pay the fiddler yet!"

The two boys stopped. "Ben, who was that?" Ben just shook his head.

"It was Admiral Montague." Both boys nearly jumped out of their skins at the voice behind them. They whirled to see their father standing behind them, ax in hand, Indian disguise painted on his face. "He means the king will not be pleased at what we've done this night, and Boston will be made to pay the price." Both boys stared wide-eyed at their father, wondering if they would be made to pay the price of what they had done. He handed his ax to Ben and put his arms around his sons. He directed them towards home and as they walked, he looked at each of them. "So, you boys chose to disobey me tonight." Neither could say anything. "Well, a man of principles must answer to his conscience and to no other. The Cartwrights are men of principle."

Uncle John finished his story and laughed at Joe's open-mouthed expression. "They didn't get punished, Uncle John?"

"No. But the same couldn't be said for the city of Boston. The British closed the harbor the next spring and it remained closed for some time. Boston suffered terribly. That's when the Cartwrights relocated to Plymouth. Our great-grandfather was able to get a job there. Once the harbor was closed, there was no work for sail-makers in Boston. Grandfather eventually joined the Continental Army and Uncle John went to sea on a privateer."

Joe just shook his head. "Gosh, I didn't know there were good stories in history! How come they only teach us boring stuff in school?"

Annie, Hoss and Adam just groaned. Joe looked sheepish as he glanced at his teacher, sitting across from the table. "Sorry, sir."

Mr. Taylor just laughed. "Joe, that's what history is, the stories of people, just like you and me. Someday, when you're a grandfather, your grandchildren will sit and listen to your stories of taming the wilderness. You and your family are a part of history, just like your great-grandfather and his family. John, thank you for a wonderful tale. I was wondering if you would like to visit school someday and tell the students some other family stories. You, too, Ben. Maybe more children will learn like Joe has, that history can be exciting."

"Well, we could tell tales all night about Uncle John, couldn't we Ben? I wonder what happened to his journals and to Grandfather's. Do you think Charlie has them?"

Annie looked startled. "I think I may have your grandfather's journals, Uncle John. Papa was the last at home, and he told me that when your parents died, he kept some of their books. I have a box of things that belonged to him."

"We'll look later, Annie." Uncle Ben held up his hand as she made to stand up. "Right now it's time to eat lunch." He hesitated. "Unless, of course you want cold soup for dinner tonight."

 

Ben and John sat up long after everyone else had gone to bed. Ben was enjoying these late nights, although he knew he'd regret it in the morning. Still, he had missed the companionship of someone his age, and having his brother with him was a double treat. He wondered how long John would stay but decided not to press the point. John would stay as long as he wanted.

John looked at his brother. "Ben, I've been thinking. I told you I wanted to go back to sea, but the more time I spend with you and the children, the less I want to go."

"I'm glad to hear that, John. You're welcome to stay with us for as long as you want."

"Well, Ben, that's the thing. I've been thinking about Will, and about Annie. You've got your three boys to raise, and well, I was thinking I could take over Annie's ranch and raise her. It would be like a second chance for me. What do you think?"

Ben looked at John, stunned. His shock was so great that he didn't hear Annie's door close behind him. Ben shook his head. "Annie's not a chance, John. She's a young woman who needs someone to be with her. She's just lost her father and she doesn't remember her mother. What will happen when you decide to move on? You will, you know. You always have, ever since we were boys." Ben shook his head again. "Eddie left her care to me, John, not to you. She's my responsibility and I won't give that up."

John looked at his younger brother, angry with him, even though he knew Ben was right. He stood up abruptly. "Good night, Ben." Ben stared into the fire for a while, then he too went to bed.

The next morning, John was nowhere to be seen. He left a note saying that he was going for a ride, but that he'd be home for lunch. Annie woke up in a terrible mood. She had overheard her Uncle John's comments, and she was so upset that she didn't listen to her Uncle Ben's response.

She was silent through breakfast, stabbing at her eggs and sausage. Uncle Ben had to tell her more than once to stop playing with her food and eat it. Her mood got worse and worse. What did he care how she ate, she thought. He was just going to hand her over to someone else. Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain on her non-broken leg. She looked up and saw Joe gesturing towards his father. Uncle Ben had been talking to her and she hadn't paid attention.

"Annie, I said it was a warm day and I thought you might go outside on the porch today." Annie shrugged. She wasn't going to talk to him if she could help it. Ben looked at her, puzzled.

"Wouldn't you like that?" She shrugged again, and now Ben was starting to get mad. He calmed himself. "First, though, it's Sunday and we'll do your Bible lesson for the day."

"I don't want to."

Ben looked at Annie like he hadn't heard her right. "What did you say?"

"I don't want to, sir." Her voice took on a tone of insolence that made Ben see red. He gripped the table, and his sons unconsciously scooted away from him.

"Go to your room."

"No." All three boys covered their eyes with their hands, afraid to see what was coming next. They didn't have long to wait. Ben was out of his chair in an instant and he grabbed Annie's arm. Mindful of her leg, he hauled her to her feet and handed her the crutches.

"Go to your room now. I'll carry you if I have to, but you will regret that." His voice was low and the boys scrunched lower in their seats. Annie took one look at her uncle and limped to her room. She slammed the door behind her. Ben turned on his heel and headed into his own room.

"Lordy, what was that girl thinking?" Hoss just looked at Annie's door.

"I don't know, but I don't want to be here when Pa comes out of his room. C'mon, let's head to the barn." Adam led his brothers out of the house leaving Hop Sing with the dishes.

Annie sat in her room, waiting. Well, maybe Uncle John won't be so strict with her. She sniffed. She didn't care; she wanted to stay with Uncle Ben. She could hear him heading towards her room. She stood up, leaning on her crutches. The door opened and he came in, looking only a little less angry than before.

"What was that all about?" Annie shrugged. "Little girl, I have been very patient with you the past few weeks, but that patience is gone today. I'm not going to put up with children who are rude and disrespectful. When you are rude and disrespectful, you will be punished. Do you have anything to say before I spank you?" She shook her head and he came towards her.

"Wait." Annie held out her hand and her uncle stopped. "If you're going to spank me, you might as well do it for everything. Last night I eavesdropped on you and Uncle John."

Ben's eyes narrowed. He didn't approve of eavesdropping any more than he approved of disrespect, but at least he thought he understood what she was upset about. "What did you hear?"

"I heard Uncle John say he wanted to raise me."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, sir."

"So you didn't hear me tell your Uncle John no? You didn't hear me tell him that you are my responsibility and that you are part of this family?" Annie's eyes widened and she shook her head now. "That's one reason you shouldn't eavesdrop. You don't hear the whole story." Ben put his hands on Annie's shoulders. "Annie, your father asked me to take care of you. I promised him I would. You should know me well enough to know that I don't go back on promises, even when another brother asks." Ben stroked her hair. "Besides, I've gotten used to having you in the house, I'd miss you if you left." He looked at her a minute. "Unless, of course, you wanted to go with Uncle John."

Annie shook her head. "No sir. I love Uncle John, but I want to be here, with you and Joe and Hoss and Adam and Hop Sing." Ben wrapped his arms around her, giving her a big hug. For a minute he had thought she was going to say she did want to go with John, and Ben didn't know what he would have done. She hugged him back, then pulled away. "Uncle Ben, I'm sorry I eavesdropped and I'm sorry I was rude at the table."

"I accept your apology, and I forgive you, but that doesn't excuse you. You'll still be punished." Annie nodded. "You will apologize to Uncle John when he comes back." Annie nodded again, she expected that. "And, I'm going to give you that spanking I promised."

When he left the room, she leaned against the bed. She didn't want to sit down, but it hurt to stand for too long. Annie vowed she wouldn't get into any more trouble, at least until her leg was healed.

 

After lunch, Hoss and Adam reminded their father they were going to meet some friends in town later that afternoon. No sooner had the words left their mouths then Joe started in pleading with his father to let him go. Ben shook his head.

"Sorry, Joe. Uncle John and I are staying home with Annie, and you can stay with us. Your brothers have worked hard and deserve some time to themselves. They don't need to be watching their little brother."

"I don't need watchin'. I got friends in town, too." Joe kept trying to wear his father down. When that didn't work, he tried sulking. Unfortunately for him, he ignored every warning signal and Pa eventually ended up sending him to his room to cool off. Adam and Hoss thanked their father, for a minute they thought he was going to cave in to Joe's whining. It had happened before. They headed off, promising not to be too late.

Ben went into the bunkroom to speak to Joe. Annie and Uncle John sat in silence by the fire for a few minutes. Finally Annie looked at her uncle. "Uncle John?" she asked softly. Startled out of his thoughts, John looked down at his niece. "Uncle John? I owe you an apology." He tilted his head, encouraging her to continue. She looked down at her hands. "I eavesdropped on you and Uncle Ben last night, when you thought everyone was asleep."

John reached down and lifted up her chin, forcing her to look at him. "I can't hear you when you talk to your hands, Annie. Look at me when you talk to me."

Annie gulped. "Yes, sir. I said I eavesdropped on you and Uncle Ben last night. I'm sorry. It was wrong and I knew it."

John frowned. "Eavesdropping is wrong, Annie. Your grandfather would have tanned any one of his sons for doing that."

Annie blushed. "Yes, sir. Uncle Ben's already punished me, sir."

"Any reason I shouldn't give you a spanking too?"

Annie wanted to say she could think of a million reasons why he shouldn't, but all she could do was shake her head. "No, sir."

He looked at her thoughtfully. "I won't this time, but..." He left his threat unfinished, but Annie knew she wouldn't be so lucky a second time. Now Uncle John looked at his hands. "Annie, what did you think of what you heard?"

Annie looked at him. "Uncle John, I love you very much and I don't want to hurt you, but.."

"but this is your home now. Is that what you were going to say?" Annie nodded. "Annie, I'm going to tell you something. I was very angry with Ben last night when he told me you would stay with him. I thought for sure that he was wrong and that I could change. When I took off this morning, I did a lot of thinking and I realized he was right. I'm too old to change. Wandering is in my blood and in my soul, and it wouldn't be fair to you." He reached out and stroked her hair. "Remember this, though, sweetheart. No matter where I go or what I do, I will always love you." He reached out and pulled her into a hug.

"I love you too, Uncle John."

He pulled her braid. "Annie, you have to make me a promise."

She looked at him solemnly. "Anything, Uncle John."

"You must promise to never tell your Uncle Ben that I said he was right. He will be insufferable!" Annie dissolved into giggles. "Yes, sir!"

The two sat cuddled together for a while, just watching the fire. A little while later Ben came out of the bunkroom, followed by Joe. Annie thought he was moving just fine, so she figured Uncle Ben didn't spank him.

"C'mon, Joe, let's play checkers. I used to be pretty good, you know. Your father could never beat me when we were boys."

"Joseph, that's because your uncle cheated."

Annie and Ben read all afternoon while John and Joe tried to out-cheat each other in checkers. Hop Sing had gone to visit relatives, so they ate the stew that he left warming on the stove. After dinner, Joe headed out to the barn to start the chores. Doing the barn chores alone was the punishment that Ben had set out for misbehaving earlier in the day.

Joe hadn't been gone long when he came back inside. "Did you forget something, Joe?"

Joe looked nervous. "Um, yeah, I mean, yes, Pa. I forgot to, um, ask Annie something." Annie was sitting at the table doing her homework. She looked up as Joe mentioned her. He leaned over and whispered to her. She nodded, then he headed back outside.

"Uncle Ben? Uncle John? I was wondering, could you help me in my room for a few minutes? I'd like to see if I have your grandfather's diary that you mentioned yesterday, but I can't open the trunk by myself right now." She gestured at her leg. Ben suppressed a smile as John looked at him quizzically.

"Of course, Annie." The two men got up and headed into Annie's room. Ben wasn't surprised when she closed the door behind them. They opened the trunk and started looking through the things stored in it. They thought they heard a crash, but Annie started coughing loudly at the same time. That continued for a few minutes, then Annie looked up. "I think I left something in the other room. You keep looking; I'll be right back. She hobbled out, taking care to close the door behind her.

John turned to his brother. "What do you suppose that's all about?"

Ben laughed. "I suspect my oldest son is three sheets to the wind right now and his two brothers are trying to sneak him to bed."

"What do they think you would do?"

"That's what's so funny. Adam's too old for my belt, and it would be hypocritical to tan him anyway. When I was sailing I got drunk so many times I lost count and I was younger than he is now."

John laughed. "Do you remember the first time you came home drunk?"

Ben cringed. "Please don't remind me. Even if you were too old for a tanning, I wasn't. Feeling Father's belt when I was hung-over is just too awful to remember."

"I may have been too old for a tanning, but I wasn't too old for a lecture on leading my younger, impressionable brother to ruin. But how do you know it's Adam and not Hoss that's drunk?"

"First, Hoss is too big for Adam to carry into the house. Second, Hoss wasn't too young for a tanning the first time he got drunk and I don't think he's touched alcohol since, except what I've given him."

"So is Adam going to hear Father's lecture on the evils of drink?"

Ben shook his head. "No, hard as it is for me to face it sometimes, I have to remember Adam's a man. I have to believe that he's listened to me all his life and that he knows the right decisions to make. I couldn't ask for a finer son and I couldn't build this ranch without him and Hoss. As long as he is fit to work in the morning, I'm not going to say anything to him."

"And if he's not?"

Ben laughed. "Adam would sooner cut off his head than admit to me that he got too drunk to do his work. He's a stubborn one, he is. He gets that from his mother."

Now John laughed. "Elizabeth was the most stubborn woman I ever met!"

"You haven't spent enough time with your niece then."

Just then Annie came back into the room. "You know, I think I'm too tired to look at the journal tonight. Um, Hoss and Adam came home, but they were pretty tired too and they headed straight to bed. Joe's asleep, too. Good n.." Annie was interrupted by an off-key rendition of "Early One Morning" which was cut off with a strangled yelp.

"Annie?"

"Yes, Uncle John?"

"Please tell me Adam's on the bottom bunk. There's nothing worse than sleeping on the bunk under a drunk." John slapped his brother on the back. "That's something I learned the hard way, eh Benji?" They left Annie staring at the door as they closed it.

 

It was all Ben and John could do to keep from laughing at Adam during breakfast the next morning. He was obviously feeling the effects of the night before and he winced every time there was a loud noise. Unfortunately for him, Joe was begging permission to go play with Mitch after school and, once permission was granted, was telling everyone what he and Mitch were planning to do.

Adam groaned. "Joe, do you think you could just be a little more quiet?"

Ben stood up and clapped Adam on the back. "What's the matter, son? Feeling a bit under the weather." He called to Hop Sing, standing by the stove. "Hop Sing, do you have something for Adam? I don’t think he's feeling well this morning." He gave Adam a little push. "C'mon, son, a little log splitting and you'll feel right as rain. I need you and Hoss to gather more firewood. I don't want to get caught unprepared in a snowstorm. Joe, Uncle John and I will ride into town with you. Hurry up, you don't want to be late. We'll saddle Paint for you." John and Ben put on their coats and headed out the door. Ben was sure to slam it closed.

Adam groaned again, then thanked Hop Sing as he proffered a glass of cloudy water. "What's this?"

"Hangover cure. Guaranteed to help."

"Is it that obvious?"

"Uncle John knows," Annie offered.

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, I was keeping them occupied in my room while Joe and Hoss snuck you in. Just as they were leaving the room, Uncle John asked if you were on the bottom bunk, because, he said, 'there's nothing worse than sleeping on the bunk under a drunk.' Then he said 'That's something I learned the hard way, eh, Benji?'"

"He called Pa Benji?" Hoss laughed.

"Yeah. My papa used to refer to Uncle Ben as Benji once in a while, when he was telling stories. They musta called him that when they were younger. Anyway, Adam, there's gotta be a story there. Your Pa musta got drunk and then got sick on Uncle John. You gotta find out."

"You ask him." Adam was looking a little better since Hop Sing's drink.

"He's not going to tell a girl anything. They think you're an adult, so he'll tell you and you can tell us."

Suddenly Joe jumped as he heard his father bellow 'Joseph!'" I gotta go before he comes lookin' for me."

"Hey, Adam. If Pa knows you were drunk, how come you reckon' he ain't said nothing?"

"The day's only just begun, Hoss. He's got plenty of time to yell."

 

Ben and John waited impatiently for Joe. "I thought you said you weren't going to punish Adam."

"I'm not. I'm just giving him a hard time."

John laughed. "You've always been good at that, haven't you? He's waiting for you to yell at him, you know. I could see it in his eyes."

"When they were open, you mean." The two laughed as they mounted up. Joe came running out and mounted Paint.

Annie and Hop Sing were home alone most of the day. Annie alternated between doing chores and doing schoolwork. She was starting to get really bored at home and she was envious that Joe was going to be seeing Mitch that afternoon. Maybe if she behaved herself Uncle Ben would let Mitch come visit her. His restriction for playing hooky must be over if Joe was playing with him after school. She decided to ask after dinner.

Dinner was a livelier affair than breakfast was. Adam was feeling better and he was starting to think his father really wasn't going to say anything to him. As they sat at the table he leaned over to Annie and whispered "I got the story." She smiled; she couldn't wait to get him alone.

Hop Sing was just serving dessert when Annie looked up. "Uncle Ben?"

"Hmmm?"

"Uncle Ben, I was wondering if I could ask a friend to visit this week after school."

"I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem if you wanted Peggy or Tess to come by. One of the boys can bring her home."

Annie blushed. "Um, actually, I was wondering if I could ask Mitch."

Uncle John looked up with interest. "Who's Mitch?"

His brother gestured towards Annie with his fork. "The boy I told you about."

Annie blushed even more. Her uncles were talking about her when she wasn't around?

"I think I'd like to meet him, Annie. Ben, let the boy come over."

"All right, then, Annie, as long as you remember the rules."

Annie tried to smile. Somehow it wasn't going to be as pleasant as she thought. It wasn't easy having a beau when you lived with six men.

 

There was no way for Annie to get Adam alone to hear Uncle John's story about Uncle Ben that night, and Uncle Ben sent Adam and Hoss into town with Joe the next morning to get supplies. Annie figured she'd just have to wait, but it was killing her to know that Adam had probably told Joe and Hoss the whole story in the bunkroom last night. Hoss promised to bring her a treat from town, so she spent the morning doing chores, thinking about the story and wondering what Hoss would bring her. Uncle Ben and Uncle John spent the morning repairing tack while staying warm in front of the fire. As Uncle Ben told Uncle John, there's always work to do on the ranch, even in the middle of winter.

Annie had just finished the ironing when she heard the wagon in the yard. Ironing wasn't easy while leaning on crutches but she found standing without the crutches was getting easier. She hoped that meant her leg was healing. She was surprised when Adam came bursting through the door.'

"Pa, Uncle John, we need your help. Big Dan had two big crates for us. I think they're from my grandfather!"

The four men had the two crates inside in no time. Ben broke one open with a crowbar and lifted several letters from the top of the box. The top one was addressed to Mister Benjamin Cartwright, Eagle Station, Utah Territory from Captain Abel Stoddard, Boston, Massachusetts.

"What's it say, Pa?" Adam was beside himself with excitement and Annie giggled to see her oh-so adult cousin acting like a schoolboy on his birthday.

"Hang on Adam, let me open it." Ben couldn't resist a grin over Adam's excitement. "I'll read it to you.

"Dear Benjamin,

"I trust this letter finds you in good health. I hope the boys are well and that your ranch is prospering. If I know you, and I do, that ranch of yours will be a grand success.

Adam has written to me that your brother Edward has passed on and that you are guardian of his daughter, Anna Marie. I am profoundly sorry at your loss. Edward was a good lad and I was proud to have him as a member of my crew for those years we sailed together. I often thought of you three boys as my own sons, and it grieves me to lose another member of my family.

Adam's news brought to mind that I still had some of Edward's things in my attic. You may recall that he lived with Elizabeth and my beloved wife for some months after your parents died, before he replaced you as cabin boy. I know that most of the contents of your parents' house were sold but these treasures were packed away. I had quite forgotten about them or I would have sent them sooner. Now I do not want to see a return letter with the cost of shipping enclosed. I will be quite angry, and I will come to your ranch to give you the thrashing you would deserve. I have done it before, as you may remember. I am well able to afford the cost and this is a gift to all my four grandchildren.

"If you should see your scallywag older brother, please give him my regards. Why he ever left the sea is beyond me. If ever a man were meant to sail until death, it was John.

My love to you and the children. Tell Adam the offer of room and board for college is still open. I would so love to see my beloved Elizabeth's son again. With great affection,

Abel"

Ben looked at the letter in silence for a few moments, lost in thoughts of the past. Then he brightened and looked at Annie, Hoss and Adam, all staring intently at him. " Adam, there's a letter for you as well, and one for you Annie. Why don't you read them later? I think Hop Sing has lunch ready for us. We'll save the crates for after lunch.

"Pa, I think we should wait for Joe to come home, don't you?" Hoss looked at his father as Annie and Adam nodded in agreement.

"He's right, Uncle Ben. Joe oughta not be left out. It wouldn't be right."

"You're right, of course." Ben was as anxious to look through the crates as anyone, but he agreed that Joe should share these family treasures.

After lunch Annie excused herself to her room. She was curious to know what Captain Stoddard had written in his letter to her, and she wanted to be alone when she read it. She sat in her chair by the window and broke the wax seal of the envelope. The writing was firm and bold, just as she had always imagined the man to be. Her father had often spoken of his first captain and of his great fondness for a man he considered to be a second father.

"My dear Anna,

"I am sorry for your loss. Your father and his two brothers were as dear to me as sons. Your father often wrote to me and so I feel as though I have watched you grow, just as I feel I have watched Adam, Eric and Joseph grow through your Uncle Benjamin's letters.

Your father first came to me as a young boy, not much older than you. He was 14 when his parents died, and he lived first with my wife and daughter until such time as I came to port. He then sailed as cabin boy under my tutelage. Although younger than I normally like my cabin boys (your uncles were both almost 16 when I took them aboard ship) your father proved to be a hardworking, respectful lad. That is not to say he was without mischief, for, like his older brothers, he was full of the pranks and tomfoolery of youth. But, I shall save those stories for your Uncle Benjamin to tell you, as he was often involved. I watched him grow into a mature, disciplined youth, and I will confess that I took no small amount of pride in seeing him thus.

I had the pleasure of meeting your mother when your parents first married. She was a lovely, spirited woman, very much like Adam's mother. The love between the two was evident to all who saw them, and I am sure their brief time together was full of happiness and light.

You were your father's pride and joy. This was obvious every time I read a letter from him detailing your latest accomplishment and even as I read of your mischief. I have enclosed your father's letters to me in one of these crates. Time will eventually heal your pain, leaving only warm and loving thoughts of a dear father and I think you will appreciate the memories captured in these letters.

Your Uncle Benjamin is a good man, and I think you will be happy with him. I hope you will indulge me as I think of you as the granddaughter I never had. I remain affectionately,

Your loving grandfather,

Abel Stoddard"

Annie wiped away a tear as she put down the letter. She stared down at the letter for a few minutes, then got up to retrieve a paper and pen. She knew she had to answer this letter while all her thoughts and feelings were in her mind.

"My dear Grandfather Stoddard,

Thank you for your kind letter. I am happy that you think of my as a granddaughter, as I have always thought of you as a grandfather. My father spoke of you often and with the same great affection that you have shown to him in this letter. He considered you a second father and gave you credit for helping to create the man he became.

I take comfort from your words that time will heal my pain. Uncle Ben and my cousins have done their best to make me feel a part of the family, and I am as happy as I can be here. I miss my dear Papa every day but I know he would not want me to be sad forever.

We have not gone through the crates yet. We decided to wait until Joe came home from school. (I am not in school because I broke my leg while sledding. I am mending, but Uncle Ben will not let me go to school until the cast is off. I hope that will be in about 4 weeks.) I think Uncle Ben and Uncle John are as anxious to look through the crates as we are. Uncle John has been visiting for a while. I am not sure how long he will stay, but I hope he doesn't leave soon.

Please write again if you can. I would very much like to hear more about my father. Perhaps we can all meet in Boston when Adam goes to college. Thank you again for your kind words. I remain

Your loving granddaughter,

Anna"

Annie just finished folding the letter when someone knocked at the door. "Come in" she called and looked up as Adam came into the room.

"Hey, I was wondering where you disappeared to."

"I wanted to read my letter alone. I just finished writing back."

"Good. I wrote, too, so we can send our letters together. Pa and Uncle John went to get Joe, so I figured I could sneak in and tell you the story about sleeping in a bunk under a drunk." Adam sat on the bed and Annie leaned forward in anticipation.

 

"According to Uncle John, he was 18 and Pa was 16. Pa had been cabin boy for over a year, and Grandfather Stoddard finally allowed him to sleep with the other sailors. Before that he had slept in Grandfather's cabin, like most cabin boys did. Uncle John says that Pa wanted to be treated like a man, not a boy and he had been trying to convince Grandfather Stoddard for several months."

Annie smiled at the thought of her uncle wanting to be treated like a grown-up. It reminded her of some of the conversations between Hoss and Uncle Ben. "Go on" was all she said.

"Well, Pa and Uncle John shared a cabin with four other sailors. They had bunks, two high, built on the walls of the small cabin, which was smaller than your room. Pa and Uncle John slept on two of the top bunks because they were the youngest two in the cabin.

"One night, Pa, Uncle John and a few of the other younger sailors went into port. Uncle John had marching orders from Grandfather that he was responsible for keeping Pa out of trouble. Well, the lot of them got drunk and had trouble sneaking back to the ship. Uncle John said he was just sober enough to know that the Captain would have his hide if he saw Pa in that state. To top it off, they had all lost their wages gambling, which is something Grandfather absolutely forbade." Annie's eyes were wide at the image of her two uncles.

"They managed to sneak on board and Uncle John managed to get Pa into his bunk. It wasn't easy, because the sailor on the bottom bunk was already in bed. Uncle John knew this sailor wouldn't hesitate to go to the Captain if he found out they had broken the rules.

"Anyway, he got Pa into bed and settled into his own bunk. He had just started to doze when he heard giggling followed by a muffled grunt. He couldn't figure out what the noise was, so he rolled over and tried to sleep. A few minutes later he heard the giggling and grunting again." Here Adam did not tell what his uncle thought it was, namely that one of the sailors had managed to sneak a woman on board. He thought that was more than Annie should know. "Finally, Uncle John heard giggling and a great roar. The sailor underneath Pa lit a lamp and Uncle John could see Pa leaning over his bunk, dropping nuts onto the sailor below him. The sailor bellowed to Uncle John 'Cartwright, get your fool brother out of here before I rip his innards out and feed them to the sharks.' Well, just as the sailor said that, Pa leaned over and vomited all over the sailor. Uncle John got Pa out of there just before he thought the sailor was going to make good on his threat.

"Unfortunately for Uncle John, the sailor did something much worse than feed Pa to a shark. He told Grandfather Stoddard and he was furious. He punished them both, Uncle John wouldn't say how, then he made Pa return to his cabin. Pa had to live there until your father came on board as cabin boy, and even a while after while he was teaching your father the job."

Annie just sat wide-eyed, then started to laugh. "Hey Adam, how come Uncle Ben never yelled at you for coming home drunk."

Adam shrugged. "Oh, he had something to say, all right." Annie knew he wasn't going to elaborate so she didn't press him. Adam blushed a little remember his father's words. Pa hadn't lectured him or yelled. He just told him, once again, that he considered Adam a man, and that as long as Adam was fit for work the next day, he wouldn't say anything. However, and here Pa's voice got a little more stern, he did not appreciate Adam and Hoss involving their younger brother and cousin in an attempt to deceive him. He also promised to speak to Hoss on the issue.

 

Everyone rushed through evening chores, as they were anxious to eat dinner and go through the crates. Joe was as excited as everyone else and he kept telling Adam and Hoss he was glad they waited until he got home from school.

Dinner was lively as everyone was talking about what was in the crates. Joe looked at his father with a mischievous look on his face. "Hey, Pa, what did Adam's grandfather mean when he wrote that he that he had thrashed you before and he could do it again?" Uncle John snickered and Ben looked slightly embarrassed.

"Well, Joseph, Captain Stoddard felt as though he stood in my father's stead when I was his cabin boy, and that included punishing me if he felt I was out of line, which rarely happened."

John snickered again. "You mean like that time you snuck his 13 year old daughter out of his house and he caught you kissing behind the shed? I hear he gave you quite the hiding then." Ben actually blushed as he felt four sets of eyes staring at him.

"How did you ever hear about that? Abel didn't tell, did he?"

"Nope, Eddie did. He followed you that night."

Annie giggled and Uncle Ben just shook his spoon at her. "Don't you get any ideas, young lady."

"No sir, not me!"

"Hey, Pa?" Joe looked even more devilish than before. "Would Captain Stoddard have thrashed you if you came back on board drunk and then dropped nuts on the sailor underneath you and then you threw up on him?"

Now Ben glared at his brother as John knocked Adam in the head. "You told Joseph that story?"

"Actually, no, I told Adam that story. Yell at him, little brother, not me."

"Well, older brother, I'll thank you to keep these tales to yourself or I'll have a few to share as well." All four younger Cartwrights roared with laughter at that threat.

When Annie got done laughing, she looked at her uncle. "Uncle Ben, I've been wondering, why did my father go to live with Captain Stoddard after your parents died? I always figured he had no other relatives, but then you told me about your Uncle John. How come Papa didn't go live with him?"

Ben looked puzzled for a minute. "I can't rightly remember, Annie. John, do you know why?"

John nodded as he chewed a roll. "Uncle John was pretty sick around that time, I think he had a stroke, and Father's death was a real blow to him. He wasn't capable of taking care of Eddie at the time."

Ben nodded. "That's right. Father had already agreed that Eddie would sign on as cabin boy after he turned 15, and when he died, Mrs. Stoddard insisted that Eddie go live with her and Elizabeth."

"Pa, how come all three of you brothers served with Captain Stoddard?"

Ben looked at Hoss. "Well, son, you remember I told you about my great-Uncle John?" Hoss nodded. "He was mate aboard a whaler when Abel was the cabin boy. He kept an eye on Abel, and then became his friend. They remained friends even after Uncle John stopped whaling. Abel became friends with my father, too. When your Uncle John first became interested in going to sea, my father was none too pleased with the idea. You see, some captains are cruel men, especially to boys and young men who sign on. Abel offered to take John on as cabin boy, and my father felt better. First, he knew John would be kept safe, or as safe as you can be on ship, and second, he knew Abel well enough to know that Abel would provide the same guidance and discipline as he would. Then when I was fifteen, John was old enough to serve as seaman, and I was signed on as cabin boy. After my parents died, Mrs. Stoddard brought him to Boston to live with her and Elizabeth until Abel came back to port. Even though Eddie was younger than Abel liked to have on board, Abel knew he needed a father figure who would keep him in line. Eddie was having a difficult time adjusting to our parents' deaths. Abel knew it would be better if he had some family with him. I think we sailed together for a year or so before John decided to strike out on a different ship. Am I remembering right, John?" Uncle John nodded. "Then after a couple of years, Eddie decided he wanted to be Ed Cartwright, not Ben's younger brother and he struck out on his own. I stayed with Abel, eventually becoming his first mate, and then of course, his son-in-law."

Now it was Uncle John's turn to speak. "In all my sailing days, I never met a finer captain than Abel Stoddard. He was strict, to be sure, but he was never cruel to his men. I've known a few captains who would use the cat for the least offense."

"Cat?" Joe looked confused.

"The cat o'nine tails, Joe. It was used to beat men with; men have died after being beaten with it. You should pray you never face it. It's an awful thing. I had one captain use it on me for some minor offense; I think I still have the scars. I jumped that ship as soon as we got to port. I don’t think Abel even had one on board his ship."

Joe paled and Uncle John laughed. "Enough of this talk, though. Let's look in those crates!" The boys all jumped up and headed over to the first crate. John hauled Joe back. "You'll let your Pa and me look first, boy-os. You keep your hands out." Ben was helping Annie to the couch.

Uncle John lifted a small object wrapped in cloth. He slowly unwrapped it and sat back on his heels. He looked over at Annie. "Well, I was right about you!"

"What do you mean?"

"When I first saw you, I thought you were the image of your grandmother and this proves I'm right." He held out a miniature of a young woman and Annie took it. "She was 15, I think, and this portrait was painted for Father. They were courting at the time, although her parents wouldn't let her marry until she was 20. I thought of this when I first saw you, but as it had been some years since I saw it, I wasn't sure." Annie looked at her grandmother, staring out from across the years. The hair color was different, but otherwise it was like looking into a mirror. Uncle Ben looked over her shoulder.

"I remember this. Father always kept it on his nightstand." He walked over to the crate. "What's this?" He lifted out a box.

"That's Mother's jewelry box. Open it, Ben." Ben shook his head and handed the box to Annie.

"Here, I think this should be for you." Annie took the box and opened it as Uncle John sat down next to her.

"Benji, would you look at this." John lifted out three locks of hair, each tied with a faded ribbon. "Mine is the one with the red ribbon."

"I think mine's the blue. The green must be Eddie's." Annie's eyes misted as Uncle John handed her the locks. "Keep these in there, sweetie." He put his arm around her and kissed the top of her head. Annie closed the jewelry box and put it on the table. She wanted to look at each piece later, when she could savor the stories around them.

Joe, ever anxious, was reaching into the crate when a swat stopped him short. Uncle John pointed his finger at the boy. "I told you to let me and your Pa look first."

Ben lifted out a small box filled with books, which he handed the box to Adam. "Son, these are the first presents your mother ever gave me. They were my sixteenth birthday present. I think they're yours now." Adam looked down and touched the spines almost reverently. Shakespeare's Comedies.

"Thank you, Pa."

"What else is in there, Pa?" Hoss leaned forward and reached in, only to be rewarded with a smack from his uncle.

"Ben, haven't you taught these boys any manners? Eric, I told you boys to keep your hands out." Hoss appealed to his father but Ben just told him to mind his uncle.

"John, look at this." Ben pulled out a pile of papers tied loosely together. "I can't believe Mother saved these things."

"What are they, Pa?" Hoss leaned forward, careful to keep his hands to himself.

"Cards and notes that we gave to Mother on her birthday. I think she saved them all." Ben passed around some of the works, childish drawings, crudely written notes, bits of pressed flowers.

They spent the next half hour pulling out different treasures, each one bringing a "Ben, do you remember.." or "John, look at this." Finally, as they reached the bottom of the first crate, John pulled out a large object wrapped in velvet. He slowly unwrapped it and looked at his brother. "Well, this is something I thought I would never see again."

Everyone turned to Uncle John as he pulled out what looked like an enormous turtle shell. Ben whistled softly.

"Uncle John's tortoise shell! You know, John, I was mad at you and Eddie for a long time after that. I think half the trouble I got into as a boy was caused by trying to make peace between you two hotheads."

"Poor Benji, it's not easy being the middle brother sometimes."

"It sure ain't." Ben laughed as his own middle son shook his head in disgust.

"C'mon, Pa, what's the story behind the shell." Adam leaned forward to look more closely at the shell.

"You remember I told you about Uncle John and how we'd go visit him on the Cape every summer? Well, he had this enormous shell hanging on his wall. It was a souvenir from one of his trips to the South Pacific. I think he told me the men caught it and made tortoise soup, then he won the shell as a prize in some contest."

"He never did explain that contest. I always figured it was a poker game of some kind."

Ben laughed. "Anyway, he had this shell hanging up and it was a never ending source of fascination for us boys. The quickest way to get a smack from Uncle John was to be caught touching the shell, so of course it became a game for us to try to touch it." He smiled at the memories of his boyhood self. "Who would be the one to brave Uncle John's wrath to touch the shell?" He looked up at his brother who appeared to be lost in his own boyhood.

"Well, about a year before John went to sea, Uncle John decided to give us the shell. He told us to take good care of it. Well, the problems started when we got home. We left it downstairs for a day or two, but our mother got sick of looking at it and told us to take it up to our room. We no sooner got it upstairs than John announced that he was oldest and it should be on his desk. Eddie got riled."

John interrupted. "He was quick to rile Annie. You take after him, from what Uncle Ben tells me."

Annie looked like she was about to retort when Ben held up his hand. "And you were quick to rile him, John. Anyway, Eddie said that he was youngest so it should go on his table. The two of them started arguing loudly. I tried to step between the two" (here Hoss nodded knowingly) "when Eddie threw a punch at John. Well, John hit back, but he hit me instead. The next thing we knew, we were rolling on the floor in a brawl." Joe's eyes were wide at the thought of his father fighting with his own brothers. That was a sure way to bring Pa's wrath down on all their heads.

"Well, Mother knew exactly what was going on, she had heard those noises before. She came flying into the room, switch in hand and started laying into us. It took a few hits before we realized what was going on but we finally stopped fighting. She took one look at us, hands on her hips and said 'Your father will be home soon. I suggest you have your chores done.' All we could say was 'yes, ma'am.' We knew we'd catch it when he came home. We did our chores with special care in hopes that would win some favor with Father, but we knew it wouldn't."

"Then what happened, Pa?" Joe could barely sit down he was so excited. But it was Uncle John who answered.

"When your grandfather came home, he called us all into his study. He asked what happened and we tried to explain, but it came out as a jumble and Eddie and I started arguing again. Then your father piped up with 'You should punish them, Father, not me. All I did was try to stop them.' Well that shut Eddie and I up quickly. Benji had sold us out to save his hide, or so it seemed to us.

"Father looked Ben up and down. 'Your mother says you were in the middle of the brawl fighting as hard as either of your brothers. Are you saying your mother is a liar?' Well, boys, your father went white a sheet and all he could do was stammer out 'no, sir.' Then Father sighed and he looked at us. 'Boys, the world is a hard place and there will be enough trouble without having it in the family. Brothers need to stand by each other, not fight each other.'" Ben's three sons looked at each other. How often had they heard that from Pa?

"Then what happened, Uncle John?"

"What do you think, Joe? We each got a hiding and your grandfather took the shell away. I haven't seen it since that fight." John looked at Ben. "You keep the shell, Ben. I think Ed would want that. Consider it your reward for standing as peacemaker for all those years." Ben took the shell and looked at Hoss.

"Here, son. I'll pass the mantle of peacemaker on to you. You've been doing a good job." Hoss took the shell from his father, a grin splitting his face.

"Thanks, Pa." He held the shell out to Joe and Adam to get a closer look.

"Now boys, lets clean up. It's getting late, and we need to be up early. I think the second crate will have to wait until tomorrow."

 

Uncle Ben was right; they did have to get up early. Too early in Annie's opinion. She just couldn't understand why she had to get up when everyone else did. It was cold and she was still tired. She grumbled the whole time she was getting dressed and even as she set the table. She was just wise enough to stop grumbling as Uncle Ben and Uncle John came in from doing morning chores.

"Good morning, Uncle Ben. Good morning, Uncle John." Annie gave them her brightest smile. She was hoping that Mitch would get to visit and she didn't want to give her uncles any reason to decide she shouldn't have visitors.

Both men smiled at her as they dropped their hats on the table. They came over and gave her a kiss and a hug. Annie took a deep sniff as she leaned into Uncle John's hug. He smelled of horses and of hay. He looked down, worried.

"Are you all right, Annie? You're not getting a cold are you?" Uncle Ben looked up in concern.

Annie shook her head. "No. I just like the way you smell. You smell like a horse." Uncle John looked mildly offended and Uncle Ben practically fell on the floor, he was laughing so hard. Annie frowned. "What? I like the way horses smell." Uncle John continued to look so offended that Annie started to worry. He reached out to grab her, then tickled her so hard she started to giggle.

"What's so funny, Pa?" Adam, Hoss and Joe came in as their laughing father was wiping the tears from his eyes. Annie's eyes widened. She hoped he wouldn't say anything. She knew her cousins would tease her mercilessly if they knew what she said. But Uncle Ben didn't fail her. He just shook his head and winked at Annie.

"Breakfast ready. Everyone sit!" Hop Sing gestured everyone towards the table. Uncle John helped Annie to the table and sat down next to her. Hop Sing placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of her uncles and then in front of Annie. He looked at her as if to dare her to say anything.

"Mmmm, oatmeal. Thanks, Hop Sing!" Annie looked up and smiled as he put the bowl down. Hop Sing glared at her for a second, then served her cousins.

"Anna Marie." Annie turned at Uncle Ben's tone. He sounded angry.

"Yes, sir?" She figured she'd better include the sir. She didn't know what he was mad about, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

"You know better than to be disrespectful to Hop Sing."

"Sir?" Annie didn't know why he thought she was being disrespectful, but she knew what her uncle thought of disrespect. She looked at her cousins, hoping for a clue, but they all looked down at their food. "I wasn't being disrespectful, honest." She could feel tears starting to form.

"What was that comment about the oatmeal then?"

Now Annie was starting to get angry. "I said 'thank you!' One day you're yelling at me because I complain about getting oatmeal, now you're yelling because I said thank you! Honestly, I just don't understand you sometimes, Uncle Ben!"

She could sense that all her cousins were looking at her like she was some kind of fool. Next to her she could hear her Uncle John sounding like he was choking on something. She kept looking at her Uncle Ben. He tensed, and his eyes narrowed. 'I'm in for it now' Annie thought.

"You didn't mean to be disrespectful?"

"No, sir! I thought if I sounded like I liked the oatmeal, I might actually like it." Annie crossed her arms, then uncrossed them as she decided she needed to look a little meeker as her uncle's eyes narrowed even more. Uncle Ben's eyes flicked past Annie to Uncle John. He relaxed and waved his spoon towards her.

"All right, then. Eat your oatmeal while it's still hot."

Annie ate her oatmeal, but refused to look at anyone. In fact, she came as close to sulking as she thought she could get away with.

They finished breakfast and Joe was getting his coat for school when he stopped. "Hey, Annie. I forgot to tell you, Mitch is comin' over this afternoon. He'll come home with me."

Annie tried to look nonchalant. "Thanks, Joe." Inside she was excited and she was trying to figure a way to get Hop Sing to let her make something special to serve Mitch when he got there.

She started on Hop Sing right after her Uncle Ben and Joe left. "Hop Sing, could I make cookies or a cake this morning."

"No time this morning. Today is bread baking day."

"C'mon, Hop Sing, please." Annie pleaded with him, but he just shook his head.

"Bake for boy this afternoon. I am using the oven this morning."

"I'll be too tired, Hop Sing. You know that. Please?" Annie's voice took on a whining tone. "You can do the bread in the afternoon. Please?"

"Anna Marie, Hop Sing said no." Annie turned around as she heard her Uncle John speak to her in a tone that sounded suspiciously like Uncle Ben's.

"But, Uncle John, it won't take long." She turned back to Hop Sing. "Please?" She felt Uncle John grab her arm.

"Annie, if you ask Hop Sing again, I will be very angry. He said no. Do not ask him again."

Annie tried to pull her arm away, which was difficult because of the crutches. "You can't tell me what to do!" She glared at her uncle.

A short while later, Annie was in her room, lying face down on her bed. Uncle John had just left her room and she was feeling sorry for herself. She heard Uncle Ben ride in and she knew she'd be feeling sorrier for herself in just a few minutes. Whatever possessed her to talk to Uncle John like that? He certainly had impressed upon her that he felt that he had every right to tell her what to do. Somehow she thought Uncle Ben would agree with Uncle John.

She heard the two men talking then she heard her door open. She tried to stand up, but she couldn't roll over because of her leg. She lay there for a minute, wondering what to do. She sure didn't want Uncle Ben to think she was being disrespectful to him.

"Anna Marie."

"I'm sorry, Uncle Ben. I can't stand up. I'm stuck."

She felt his strong arms pick her up, then set her gently on her feet. He handed her the crutches that she had dropped near the bed. She looked up at him, but she couldn't tell what he was thinking.

"I understand Uncle John and you had a bit of trouble this morning while I was gone."

"Yes, sir. I was disrespectful to Hop Sing and to Uncle John and I'm very sorry. I'll apologize to them both." Annie was very careful to look at Uncle Ben with what she hoped was sufficient respect and meekness.

"Annie, when will you learn to curb your tongue? I've punished you, now Uncle John's punished you, I know Hop Sing has had to speak to you." Annie almost panicked then. She wondered what Hop Sing had told her uncle. Hop Sing had done more than speak to her about her tongue. She absentmindedly rubbed the back of her head where he had whacked her more than once with his wooden spoon. Not hard enough to really hurt but hard enough to shut her up. Annie realized her uncle had stopped talking and was looking at her. She swallowed hard.

"Yes, sir. I..the words just come out. I'm trying to stop them, but I guess I'm not always successful. I'll go apologize now." Ben stepped aside and gestured for Annie to precede him out the door. She stopped and turned around. "Uncle Ben, can Mitch still come over?"

Ben looked at her thoughtfully. "You'll be on your best behavior today?"

"Yes, sir."

"He can still visit." Annie smiled. "Unless of course you get mouthy again. Then he can visit Joe today."

"You won't even know me Uncle Ben. I'll be as quiet as a mouse."

"I'll settle for a well mannered young lady."

Annie truly was on her best behavior for the rest of the day. She knew all too well that if her uncle, if either uncle, had to speak with her again she would not be allowed to see Mitch that day. Hop Sing finished his bread baking in record time so that Annie had plenty of time to bake molasses cookies. In fact, shortly before she expected Joe and Mitch to come home from school, Annie almost had to chase Hoss out of the kitchen area. She couldn't convince him that she wasn't baking the cookies for him. Finally she relented and gave him a few.

"Ya know, Annie, you gotta watch your mouth. Pa only takes so much of that."

Annie blushed. She had forgotten that Hoss and Adam had been around to see the run-in with Uncle John that morning. "How do you know, Hoss? I can't see you talking back to Uncle Ben."

Hoss took another bite. "Nope. Well, I did once, never tried it again. Now Adam, he had a mouth on him. He'd put you to shame."

Annie's eyes opened wide. "Adam?"

Hoss nodded. "Yup. Pa tried to cure him of it, not sure he ever did. Adam's just gotten smarter about what he says in front of Pa."

"Adam used to get in trouble?"

"Yup, all the time. Don't know why that's so hard to believe. Course, you didn't know him when he was younger, like I did."

Annie held out the plate of cookies. "Have a seat, Hoss. Tell me more." But, just as Hoss reached for another cookie, the subject of their conversation walked in. Both Annie and Hoss jumped, guilty looks on both their faces. Adam looked at them with suspicion.

"What are you two up to?"

Annie drew herself up to her full height, which was just above Hoss's waist. "I was just asking Hoss what he thought of my cookies. It's a new recipe and I wanted to make sure they were good."

"Them's mighty fine, Annie." Hoss reached for yet another one.

"Thank you, Hoss. I'll be happy to make you another batch later." She turned her back to Adam and winked at Hoss.

"That's right, Annie. Gotta make sure they taste just right for Mitch-y." Adam pronounced Mitch's name in a sing-song tone. Annie put the plate down and tried to chase after Adam, but the crutches slowed her. As she got closer, she lifted up one of the crutches and pretended to hit him with it. Just as she almost got him, the door opened and Uncle Ben came in.

Ben frowned. "What's going on here?"

"Don't worry, Pa. Adam's just teasin' Annie and she's aimin' to get him back. I'll make sure they don't get out of hand." Ben raised an eyebrow and turned to go back outside.

"You do that, Hoss. But now I need both of you outside for a minute." He closed the door behind him and Annie playfully tapped Adam with the crutch.

"All right! All right! I'm sorry! Hey, Hoss, we'd better not keep Pa waiting."

Annie decided to rest a little before Mitch came. Hop Sing had already told her not to worry about washing the dishes when she got done. She couldn't stand long enough to do the dishes, but she knew she'd be making up for it when the cast came off in a few weeks.

She dozed off to the sounds of Hop Sing working in the kitchen. She didn't wake up until she heard hoof beats outside. She sat up, quickly re-braided her hair and smoothed down her dress just as Joe and Mitch came in.

"Hey Annie. See, Mitch, I told ya she'd be sleepin' when we got here." Joe ducked his head when he saw the look from Annie. "Um, I'll go take care of the horses."

"I can't stay too long, Joe, so just leave mine tied up outside. Thanks."

Mitch walked over to the sofa where Annie was sitting. "Hey, Annie."

"Hey, Mitch." She moved over a little so he could sit on the sofa next to her. The two sat awkwardly in silence for a few minutes. Hop Sing brought over the tray of cookies and two glasses of milk. Annie held out the tray to Mitch. "I made these, I hope you like them."

"They're real good. Did ya make them for me?" Annie nodded, but couldn't bring herself to look at him.

"I wanted to bring you some flowers, but, well, I reckon there aren't any." Mitch laughed. "I brought you this, though." He handed her a small bag of candy. Annie's smile lit up her face.

"Thank you." She opened it. "Chocolates? They're my favorite." She took one then held out the bag.

Mitch shrugged and took a chocolate for himself. "Yeah. I asked Joe. He said you'd better hide them from Hoss."

They were both startled by the sound of Hop Sing laughing. They looked up as he headed out the back door. "Need more water."

Annie looked around. They were all alone. Mitch looked around, too and reached out to take Annie's hand. "I've really missed you, Annie." He leaned towards her when all of a sudden the door slammed open. Mitch jumped off the sofa as Ben and John walked in the door. Annie's eyes opened wide as she remembered Uncle Ben's threat if he caught her alone with a boy.

"What's going on here?" Ben looked angry and headed towards the sofa.

Mitch looked panicked. "I'm sorry, Mr. Cartwright. We..I mean, Hop Sing was here just a minute ago. I didn't..we.." He was cut off by the sound of John laughing.

"Ben, cut the boy some slack! Tell him you're pulling his leg before you give him a heart attack!"

Ben's grin split his face. "I'm sorry, you two. I just couldn't resist when I saw Hop Sing go to the well." Annie's eyes narrowed as she looked at Uncle Ben. He shook his finger at her. "Remember our deal, Annie, it's not too late. Mitch, the look on your face was too much. Maybe I should have come inside a minute sooner." Ben ducked as Annie's pillow came sailing towards his head. He looked at her, chagrined. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. C'mon, introduce Mitch to Uncle John."

"Honestly, Uncle Ben. Uncle John, this is my friend, Mitch Devlin. Mitch, this is my father's oldest brother, John Cartwright."

John held out his hand. "Mitch, it's a pleasure. I've heard quite a bit about you from my brother."

Mitch held out his hand. "Mr. Cartwright. I hope some of it's been good, sir."

"Don't worry, son." John headed over to the sofa and sat in the spot Mitch had vacated. "Sit down lad, I'd like to get to know you." Annie moaned softly and rested her head in her hand. This would be the supreme test of her resolution to curb her tongue, she could just tell. "Not feeling well, Annie?"

"No, sir, I'm fine."

"Did you make these cookies? They're quite tasty. C'mon, Mitch. I don't bite hard." Mitch sat on the edge of the chair nearest Annie. He looked like he didn’t quite believe Uncle John.

"So, how old are you?"

"Fourteen, sir."

"Like school? How are your grades?"

Mitch looked at Annie and shrugged. "I'm not a scholar, sir, but I do all right."

John nodded. "I hated school. Couldn't wait to go to sea. Do you ever think of going to sea, son?"

Annie couldn't believe this. Mitch came to visit her and he gets the Cartwright version of the Spanish Inquisition. Mitch just shook his head. "No sir. I've never seen the ocean."

"I understand your father owns a nearby ranch."

"Yes, sir. It's a small spread, just me and my brother help him run it."

"Your brother, is he older or younger?"

"Older, Mr. Cartwright. He's a friend of Adam's."

"I see. Do you like ranching?"

"Yes, sir, very much."

"That's good. Annie's already got a ranch, going to need a husband to run it someday." Annie almost choked. Uncle Ben looked at her and winked.

"All right, John. Now who's pulling the poor boy's leg? Let's leave them to their visit. Annie, we'll be over at the table looking at the books if you need anything."

Annie leaned over to Mitch once she was certain her uncles were occupied. "I'm sorry" she whispered. "He thought he was being funny." To her surprise, Mitch smiled.

"That's all right. He's kind of like Pete. You wait 'til you can visit us. Anyway, I got to see you, that's what counts." Annie blushed. "School's not so much fun without you." Mitch looked up at the two men working at the table. He leaned forward and gave Annie a quick kiss. "I gotta go." He stood up.

"Mitch, would you like to stay for dinner? I'm sure my brother has a few more questions for you." Ben turned as he heard Mitch stand.

To Annie's relief, Mitch laughed. "Thank you, Mr. Cartwright, but I'm really still on restriction for playing hooky. Pa only let me come over as a favor to Annie." Ben frowned as Mitch mentioned the hooky, but smiled quickly again.

"Tell you what, Mitch. We've been meaning to have your family to dinner since you moved in. You ask your parents if they would like to come to dinner Saturday night. Let Joe know their answer tomorrow at school."

"Yes, sir. Thank you. Bye, Annie."

"Bye Mitch. Thanks for coming by." Mitch paused by the door as Ben called out to him.

"Mitch, tell Joe I'd like to see him right away please."

"Yes sir." A few minutes later, Joe came into the house.

"Mitch said you wanted to see me, Pa?"

"Yes, Joseph." Ben stood up and headed towards his room. Joe looked confused but hurried after his father.

"I wonder what that was all about?" John sat next to Annie.

"Mitch just reminded Uncle Ben that Joe was supposed to be restricted for two weeks because he played hooky with Mitch. I guess Uncle Ben forgot in the excitement of your visit. Glad I'm not Joe."

"He seems like a nice young man."

"Joe? He's okay."

"Annie, I meant Mitch. Look honey, I'm sorry I teased him like that. I just couldn't resist."

Annie looked down at her hands. "All I can say Uncle John is it's a good thing you didn't have sisters." She smiled up at him. "Mitch didn't mind."

"He's pretty brazen to be sneaking kisses while we were sitting just a few feet away." John snickered as Annie turned beet red. "Don't worry about your old uncles, Annie. We remember what it was like to be young and in love. At least Ben does. I was much older when I fell in love."

 

Annie didn’t get to talk to Joe until after dinner. "Uncle Ben musta been pretty mad."

Joe looked surprised. "That's what I thought when I figured out what he called me in for. But he said it was as much his fault as mine. I am restricted for an extra week though. Guess I can't complain."

Adam picked up his coffee cup. "Hey, we've got another crate to look through. Shake a leg everyone." Annie stuck out her tongue. "Yeah, you better not, Annie. You'd fall flat on your.."

Ben looked up. "Adam!"

"Sorry, Pa."

 

Hoss and Adam soon had the second crate open. Hoss looked warily at his uncle, but Adam paid him no heed and started rummaging through the crate. A sharp smack brought him up short and he whirled around.

"What?" Adam glared at Uncle John, then at Annie and Joe who were laughing at him.

"Don't you remember me telling your brothers last night? Let your father and I go through the crate. We'll show you everything in our good time. I'm not sure how you've been raising these boys, Ben. They don't seem to mind real well."

John turned back to the crate as Adam sat next to Annie. She stuck out her tongue again, and he reached out to tickle her. She giggled and leaned against him to snuggle.

Ben pulled a few books out of the crate. "Annie, I think these are your father's first journals. He started keeping a journal when he was pretty young. Truth be told, I think I picked up the habit from him. You keep these."

Annie took a quick peek and saw her father's writing. She didn't think it had changed much all his life. She set them aside to read later.

"John, would you look at these? I think I can still smell the perfume on them." Ben handed John a package of letters tied in a green ribbon. John looked puzzled until he looked at them.

"Laura with the fine gold hair. I haven't thought of her in years and years."

"How could you forget your first love?"

"And yours."

"And Eddie's!"

Both men laughed. "Um, excuse me, Uncle John?"

The two men stopped talking and looked at Annie.

"Who was Laura with the fine gold hair? I thought you told me you didn't fall in love until you were much older."

John smiled. "Well, I guess I forgot about my first true love. But, I guess I could be forgiven because I was only 10 when I fell madly in love. Little did I know that I had some stiff competition in the form of two younger brothers."

"Um, Uncle John, if you was 10, then Pa was 8 and Uncle Eddie was 6."

"That's right, Hoss. That's just how old we were. You see, one summer we spent a few weeks with my mother's sister, Hannah and her husband. She lived on an island in Rhode Island, which seemed so far away that it was as if we had sailed around the world. I forget the name of the island, but our aunt lived near the town of Jamestown, across the Narragansett Bay from Newport. Hannah had just had her first baby and Mother was staying to help out. Father brought us down, but he didn’t stay. He left with dire warnings of what would happen if we got into mischief. He told us mother had enough to do and didn't need troublesome boys. We swore up and down that we'd behave ourselves, and oddly enough, we did. We had a wonderful time exploring this point of land on which Aunt Hannah lived. I guess someone thought it was shaped like a beaver's tail, because that was the name of the point – Beavertail. It had a lighthouse at the end, but we knew all about lighthouses, after all we had spent every summer with Uncle John since we were little." Uncle John seemed to be picturing the three little boys as he told the story..

 

"Johnny, Benny, wait up. I can't go as fast as you." The small boy struggled through the brush behind his brothers.

"Iffen ya want to explore with us, Eddie, ya gotta keep up, squirt!" The tallest boy looked in disgust. "I shoulda left you home with Mother."

"Aw, John, we gotta wait for him. He'll tell Mother and she'll take a switch to us. She told us we gotta look out for him. He's coming as best he can. Just slow down a bit."

John looked disgusted but stopped for a minute. "Oh, all right. C'mon, I want to explore those coves that Uncle Jake told us about."

"Ya mean the ones he told us not to climb down or he'd tan us?" Ben looked a little worried.

"Oh, don't be such a worry wart. He's only got Baby Emma. He don't know about tanning boys."

Eddie finally caught up with them. "I don't know Johnny. He's awful strong lookin'."

John pushed the younger boy. "Then don't tell him nothin' and we won't have to worry. Got it? I want to explore the coves. Maybe we'll see a mermaid."

"Johnny, what's a cove?"

"Damnation Eddie, don't you know nothin'?"

Ben's eyes opened wide. "If Mother hears you talking like that she'll wash your mouth out." He knew from experience how bad Mother's soap tasted.

John sighed impatiently. "Do you see Mother any where near us?" Ben shook his head. "Do ya think I'm dumb enough to say it in front of her?" Ben paused too long and John gave him a shove. "Eddie, a cove is a place where some of the land sticks out where the sea comes in, and the water's surrounded by land on three sides." Ben frowned. He didn't think John was explaining it right, but John didn't like being corrected by younger brothers. "Uncle Jake said there's lots of coves near the lighthouse and you can only get to them by climbing down cliffs."

"Uncle Jake also said he'd tan us if he caught us near them."

"Well, then Benji the Baby, you'd better hope he doesn't catch us! C'mon." John pushed through the thick underbrush. There were no trees this close to the water, but the brambles and brush were hard to plow through. They finally reached the edge of a cliff and looked down at the water 25 feet or so below them.

"C'mon, we can go down this way." John led the way down the sand cliff on his backside. They reached the bottom in one piece and Eddie whistled as they looked around. "I think we're the first people ever to step foot here."

John shoved him hard. "Don't be stupid." Eddie stood up and balled up his fists. Ben sighed and stepped between the two.

"Don’t fight. If you come home with a black eye, you'll be in big trouble. We can pretend we're the first people here. That won't hurt anything." The oldest and youngest brothers eyed each other, then relaxed.

"Yeah, that's a good idea Benji."

"John, stop calling me that. You know I hate it."

"Benji, Benji, Benji. You gonna make me stop?"

"Aw, you're not worth the bother." Ben ran ahead of his brothers and climbed up the rocks that jutted out into the Bay. His two brothers scrambled after him and almost tripped as he came to a sudden halt.

"Shhh. It's a mermaid. Don't scare her." John and Eddie climbed on top of Ben for a better look. They gasped at the sight of the mermaid swimming in the cove on the other side of the rocks. She was floating on the water, her golden hair spread out on the waves. Her arms were bare and her flippers were white. They could hear her voice singing over the sound of the waves. They couldn't believe their eyes.

"She's the most beautiful woman in the world." John sighed.

"No one's more beautiful than Mother" but Ben's tone didn't hold much conviction.

"Her hair looks like gold. A real mermaid. Mother's not going to believe this." Eddie's excitement was squelched when both brothers put their hands over his mouth.

"Eddie, you can't tell Mother about this. We're not supposed to be here, remember?" Ben looked a little panicked.

Suddenly John started scrambling back the way they had come. "She's getting out of the water, hurry." Ben and Eddie scrambled after him. None of them knew why they didn't want to be seen; they just knew they shouldn't be.

They came back to the cove several times over the next week. Sometimes they saw their mermaid, sometimes they didn't. One day she almost caught them, but they managed to get away unseen, or so they thought. They didn't hurry home that day until the sun started to set. They slipped in the back door, hoping that no one would notice how late they were. Those hopes were quickly dashed.

"John? Benjamin? Edward?" Mother's voice called out from the parlor. The boys looked at each other. They were sandy, their clothes were ripped and they realized they had all lost their hats.

"What are we gonna do?" Eddie sounded worried. John shrugged.

"I can tell you one thing, we'd better not keep her waiting." All three boys had learned long ago that it would be very bad if either parent had to call them a second time. They shuffled into the parlor, first Ben, then John, then Eddie. Once again John and Eddie bumped into their brother, who had stopped short in the doorway.

Eddie was the first to speak. "It's the mermaid!" Sure enough, the creature they had seen swimming in the cove was sitting in the parlor, holding their cousin Emma. None of the boys noticed as their mother quickly covered her mouth. Uncle Jake stepped forward.

"Boys, I'd like you to meet our neighbor, Miss Laura Gold. Her father is the lighthouse keeper. She thinks she might have something of yours. Miss Gold, these three rascals are my wife's nephews, John, Benjamin and Edward."

"I'm so glad to meet you at last boys. You would never come swim with me. Every time I tried to call you, you would run away. You dropped your hats this morning."

"You mean, you're not a mermaid?" Eddie looked so disappointed that Miss Gold started to laugh.

"No, Edward, I'm not a mermaid." She lifted her skirt slightly to reveal two feet. "See?" Eddie just sighed. Miss Gold handed the baby back to Aunt Hannah and rose gracefully.

"I have to be getting back to the lighthouse now. I just wanted to get the hats back to the boys. It was a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Cartwright." She turned towards the boys. "Why don't you boys come visit me at the lighthouse sometime. We have some really good rocks for climbing there."

"I think the boys will be staying home for the next couple of days." Uncle Jake looked at Mother, who nodded. "They can come visit you after that, Laura."

 

Uncle John stopped talking. "That's it?" Joe looked surprised.

Ben took up the story. "No. We spent the rest of our time in Rhode Island with Laura. She read with us, she climbed on the rocks, she even went swimming with us. We each fell in love with her, and even came to blows once over which of us she liked better. Fortunately we had the sense to not fight when any adults were around. Every other sentence out of our mouths started with "Laura said this" or "wasn't it funny when Laura did this." She was older, wiser and smarter than any girl we had ever known. She knew we were like little puppy dogs following her, but she was so kind to us. We were devastated the day she introduced us to her fiancé. I think we all cried."

"I didn't cry."

"Yes, you did, John. I heard you in bed that night. Mother had to explain to each of us that Laura was a much older woman, she was almost 18, and that someday we would find another woman just as beautiful to whom we would give our hearts. She was right, of course, but at the time all we wanted was Laura. Laura wrote to us a few times."

John looked at the letters thoughtfully. "I wonder what ever happened to her."

"The last I heard, and this was many years ago, she and her husband had moved to Kansas or some state in the Midwest and they had some children. I don't know how many."

The rest of the crate held very little of interest to Annie and her cousins. Uncle Ben gave her the pile of letters that her father had written to Captain Stoddard and he and John seemed to be excited over some candlesticks and silver cups, but these things didn't have any good stories associate with them, even if the silver was made by Paul Revere and had been in the Cartwright family for a few generations. Annie was tired, and soon excused herself. She wanted to look at her father's journal before she went to sleep.

She quickly got ready for bed, or at least as quickly as she could with her broken leg. She had to admit she was getting pretty tired of having the cast and crutches and she was looking forward to the day that the doctor took it off. She thought Uncle Ben had told her Dr. Martin would come tomorrow or the day after to take a look; maybe the doctor would tell her when he'll take it off.

She hopped into bed and opened the journal. She looked at the writing. Papa's writing had certainly not changed much since he was a boy, maybe just a little bit neater, but not much. She touched the page with her hand and thought about him. Memories of how he smelled, what his voice sounded like, what his laugh was like flooded into her mind, but for once they didn't make her want to cry. It was as if the sadness was starting to fade away, and only the love remained. Sighing, she closed the book again.

Ben found her a few minutes later sitting in bed and staring at the book. "I thought you'd be deep into the journal by now." He picked up her brush and sat next to her on the bed.

Annie smiled as her uncle started to brush her hair. "It didn't seem right."

"Oh?"

"Well, I opened it and looking at the writing made me think of Papa and somehow I just didn't think I should be reading the journal. I mean, if he were still alive, I don't think he would hand it to me and tell me to read it. It just doesn't seem right to read it, not now anyway."

Ben nodded. "You know, your father was the first of us boys to keep a journal. He told me why he started when he was only 13. Our father gave it to him as a birthday present. Father told Ed he was too quick with his tongue and that he needed to curb it. Father said that it had been easy to teach John and I to curb our tongues, but that he knew no amount of thrashings would cure Ed. Father was worried that if Ed didn't curb his tongue, someone would cut it out for him. I remember the look on Ed's face when he told me that. He said he had laughed at Father, but that Father remained solemn and Ed realized that he meant it. It wasn't until I went to sea that I really understood what Father meant. Anyway, Father told Ed to write in his journal whenever he felt the need to answer back or mouth off. It must have worked, because Ed learned to keep his mouth shut. No matter how angry he would get, he said nothing. But, I know for a fact that he filled six of those books in the two years before he went to sea, and I don't know how many he filled after that. I know he destroyed a lot of them."

Annie nodded. "You know, it's funny. Uncle John has said several times that I'm like my father. Usually he says it after I've gotten into trouble for saying something. I never could understand why Uncle John would say that, because my father was always very careful to think before he spoke. I guess he had to learn to do that, didn't he. Maybe there's hope for me! Uncle Ben, could you do me a favor? Could you please put these in my trunk? Maybe I'll read them someday." Ben took the books and put them in the trunk under Annie's window. He came back to the bed and tucked her in.

Breakfast the next morning was oatmeal; Annie let it pass without comment, either good or bad. She didn't say much at breakfast; the conversation as usual centered on chores that needed to be done. Ben wanted Hoss and Adam to check some of the fences while he and John took Joe to school. Hop Sing asked to accompany them, as he needed to get some supplies from the small Chinese operated store in Eagle Station. It had opened a few months previously and Hop Sing was among its best customers. The store specialized in Chinese delicacies and spices, as well as medicinal herbs. Hop Sing was hoping to place an order for seeds for the garden.

Ben frowned a moment. He didn't like the idea of leaving Annie alone, but he had a council meeting and John needed to talk to Big Dan about his trip over the mountains. As if she read his thoughts, Annie looked up. "I'll be okay, Uncle Ben. You won't be gone for more than a few hours and I've just got schoolwork and chores to do. I'll be fine." She didn't want to admit it, but she was hoping to be alone for a few hours. She was getting tired of people hovering over her like she was a china doll about to break.

"All right. We won't be gone long."

 

Annie had enjoyed about two hours of solitude. She had been studying and doing some mending when she got up to walk around. The last time the doctor had come out, he had told her she needed to walk several times a day. He warned her about overdoing it, but said that walking around the cabin a few times would help keep her muscles in shape. She had just reached the front window when she heard a commotion in the front yard. She looked out and saw two wild dogs trying to get into the corral where her filly and a couple of other horses were kept. She was horrified as the dogs managed to get underneath the bars and attack the nearest horse. The sound of the terrified horses jolted her out of her shock. Without thinking she hobbled over to the door where the guns were kept. She managed to carry Uncle Ben's and Uncle John's guns while still clutching her crutches. She knew they would both be loaded and she headed out the front door.

She leaned one gun against the porch rail, braced herself against one of the porch posts and let go of the crutches. She knew she'd have only one shot with each gun; she wasn't even sure she'd be able to get into the house if the dogs decided to attack her. But this was her horse they were attacking; she knew they would kill it. Even now one of the horses was down. She raised the gun and took careful aim. Remembering everything she had been taught, she squeezed the trigger as she braced herself for the kick. The force of the gun almost knocked her down, but she could see that she had managed to at least wound one of the dogs seriously enough that it was down. The other dog turned from its prey and looked like it was about to head towards the house. Annie grabbed the second gun, and just as the dog was about to jump the fence, she fired again. The dog dropped, and Annie fell back in shock. The sound of horses and shouting brought her back to the present.

She looked up into the very worried face of her Uncle Ben. "Annie, are you all right?" He grabbed her arm and hauled her to her feet, broken leg momentarily forgotten. She nodded and his eyes narrowed. She knew his worry would quickly turn to anger if she wasn’t careful. "What happened?" he asked harshly.

"I was inside and heard the horses. I looked out and saw the dogs. I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't let them kill the horses." She looked around and saw Hop Sing and Uncle John behind Uncle Ben.

"Ben, let's get her inside. Annie, are you hurt?" She shook her head as Uncle Ben picked her up and carried her in. Uncle John grabbed the guns and Hop Sing picked up the crutches. Uncle Ben put her on the sofa and sat on the chair opposite her. Uncle John sat next to her. Hop Sing hurried to prepare tea.

She looked at Uncle Ben; he did look pretty angry. "Would you tell me what you were thinking?" Annie couldn't believe that he was mad at her. She had just saved four horses. Horses he would need this spring.

"I was thinking that I was doing you a favor by saving your horses." Not a good answer. Uncle Ben's jaw clenched as Uncle John covered his face with his hands.

"You could have been killed yourself! Those horses are nothing compared to you." Uncle Ben's voice was very quiet, but Annie wasn't fooled. He was really mad. She decided a different approach was in order.

"I knew I could get them, Uncle Ben. I'm a good shot."

Uncle John looked at her. "You sure are. How'd you learn to shot like that?"

Annie smiled ruefully. "Papa taught me."

Ben looked at her, astonished. He was only just starting to teach Little Joe to shoot. It never even occurred to him that a girl would need to know. "Eddie taught you?" Suddenly he smiled. "Was that before or after he caught you fooling with his guns."

Annie blushed. "After. He decided that if I was going to play with guns, I was going to do it right. And, since I didn't feel much like sitting anyway, I didn't mind standing for target practice. By the time he was done with me, I never wanted to touch a gun again."

John laughed out loud. "When did Eddie turn into Father, that's what I'd like to know!" He stood up. "I'll go take care of those dogs and the horses."

Ben stood up, too. "I'll be out in a minute, John." He looked at Annie. "Thank you." He turned and headed out the door, but stopped as he reached the table. He rummaged through one of the boxes of supplies and tossed a small package to Annie. "Here. I thought you could use this." He turned and followed John out the door. Annie opened the package and smiled. She pulled out a journal, a pen and ink. She thanked Hop Sing for the tea, opened the journal and started to write.

The next few weeks were filled with boring routine. Annie helped with chores as much as she could, she did her schoolwork and not much else. She did write in her journal several times a day. She was frustrated by boredom and poured that frustration into the book, rather than allow it to spill over with her family. The only comment her Uncle Ben made was that he wished he had bought her the book months ago. She stuck her tongue out at him as soon as his back was turned, not realizing that Uncle John was watching her. He had laughed, and told Uncle Ben that she still had some sass in her. Later that night Uncle Ben had talked to her. He said he was proud of how well she was watching her tongue, but that he was also glad she still had some sass. He said he wouldn't know her if she was angelic all the time. She assured him he had nothing to worry about.

The only breaks in the monotony were the occasional visits by Mrs. Greene and Tess and Mitch's visits. No one else came to visit and Annie was getting sick of being lonely. Mitch's family did come for dinner one night, and Annie was glad that night went off without a hitch. Uncle John was on his best behavior and didn't spend the night quizzing Mitch about his intentions.

One Saturday during supper, Uncle Ben and Uncle John announced they were going into town that evening, leaving Adam in charge. Annie and Joe looked at each other. Uncle Ben never went out. Hoss smirked when Adam leaned over to his father. "Just don't be out too late, Pa."

Ben looked at John. "Next he'll be asking me who I'll be with and where we'll be going." He turned towards Adam. "We'll be back at a reasonable hour. No need to wait up for us."

Adam and Hoss settled by the fire with their coffee after Ben and John left. Annie and Joe soon joined them with cups of hot cocoa, a rare and unexpected treat from Hop Sing. Annie sat on the sofa next to Hoss. She snuggled close to him.

"Adam?"

"Mmmm?"

"What was Uncle Ben like when you were little? Did you get in trouble a lot?"

Adam looked at Hoss who was conspicuously not looking at Adam. "Enough."

"I can't picture it."

"Can't picture what?"

Annie sighed at her cousin's obtuseness. "I can't picture you getting into trouble with Uncle Ben."

"Well, Annie, to be honest, I got into trouble for the same reasons you do. I would speak before I thought about the consequences. Only Pa wasn't as easy-going as he is now, and I stopped counting the number of times I got punished for sass." Adam could see that Annie still wasn't convinced. "Part of the problem was that I wasn't too happy when Pa married Marie." Here Adam paused to look apologetically at Joe, who was leaning forward with great interest. "I used to get into trouble a lot for being sassy to her. She never told on me, but I wasn't smart enough to keep my mouth quiet when Pa was around. I remember one time telling her I wasn't going to do the chores she listed." Adam smiled a little when he saw the look on Annie's and Joe's faces. "Well, Pa was standing right behind me and he just about knocked me into the next room when he heard me."

Joe shook his head. "But Adam, you and Ma were real close, I remember it." Joe rubbed his eyes a little and Adam held out his arms. Joe sat on his big brother's lap, forgetting that he thought he was too old for such a baby act.

"That was your mother's doing, Joe. The day I turned 12, she had a nice dinner and a beautiful cake." Here Adam smiled at Hoss, who was sighing at the thought of his stepmother's pastries. "She did everything she could to make it a special day. What she didn't know was that Pa had cornered me earlier that day and told me if I did anything to ruin the celebration, then birthday or no birthday he'd give me a tanning I would never forget. Even I understood that warning! I got done opening the gifts from Pa, and from Joe and Hoss. I thought I was done, but she held out her hand. 'One moment, mon fils.' She handed me a small box. I opened it and there was a beautiful pocket watch. 'This is the watch of my father. He told me that his father gave it to him on his twelfth birthday and he told me to give it to my oldest son on his twelfth birthday.' I looked at her, stunned. 'But, ma'am, that's Joe.' She just shook her head. 'Mais non, that is you.'" Adam paused a minute to recover from tears that threatened to fall. "How could I not love someone who loved me so much, even though she had every reason to dislike me?"

Hoss sniffed. "I remember that dinner. That's the first time you called her Ma."

Annie looked up at her biggest cousin. "How about you, Hoss? Were you happy that your father married again?"

Adam laughed. "She was a great cook. Of course he was happy!"

"Aww, Adam, she was more than that. Annie, Ma was just about the kindest, most loving woman you could ever meet. But, she had a temper that could beat Pa's on a bad day! Remember, Adam, the time Pa had to go away for a week?"

Adam looked puzzled, then light dawned. "Boy, it was a good thing she never told Pa about that!"

Hoss looked at Joe and Annie. "Joe, I reckon you were four or five, and you were a handful. You were gettin' inta everything. Ma was at her wits end trying to keep you in one piece. Every time she turned around you were into something you shouldn'ta been, and no amount of swats was makin' you behave." Hoss stopped and looked a little uncomfortable. Adam picked up the story.

"Hoss and I decided to take advantage of Ma's preoccupation with you to get into some mischief. We weren't supposed to go near the river at all unless we were with an adult, but some of our friends had 'found' a boat and wanted to sail out to a small island, a sand bar really. We snuck off to be with them, and when we got about halfway to the sandbar, the boat began to sink. We panicked and started screaming for help. A couple of men on the shore saw the boat and could see our predicament. They grabbed another boat and rescued us."

"Yeah, we were so glad to see them until they started askin' our names. They was gonna take us to our folks and tell them what happened. Adam quick told them some other name, but one of the men recognized us, and took us home. He told Ma what happened and he told her that Adam had lied. She sent us to wait in her room, 'cuz Joe was sleeping in our room. We knew Pa was comin' back in a couple of days and we figured she'd wait to tell him. We dreaded what he'd do, but we reckoned we'd have a couple of days to sweet talk her outta tellin' the story."

Adam laughed a little. "Were we ever wrong! She came into the room, closed the door behind her and told us both to drop our trousers. We couldn't believe it and we both stared at her. 'Do not make me repeat myself' was all she said. I started to say that there was no way I'd take down my trousers. She picked up her hairbrush and told me if I didn't take down my trousers, she'd spank me anyway and tell Pa about the boat, the lie and the fact that I had been disrespectful and disobedient. Well, I wasn't too sure if she was going to tell Pa about the boat and the lie, but I knew that if she added the disrespectful and disobedient part, I'd be in a whole lot more trouble. So, we turned around and dropped our trousers. She spanked us good with that hairbrush, but when she was done, she said that as long as we behaved ourselves from now on, she wouldn't tell Pa. Then she hugged and kissed us both, and told us she loved us. As far as I know, she never told him. If she did, he never said anything to us."

Joe just shook his head. He knew from firsthand experience how much Ma's brush could hurt. But he also knew that Ma loved all three of her sons. Suddenly he felt an ache that he hadn't felt in a long time.

Annie could see Joe was getting upset and she knew just how he felt. "You know, I never met Tante Marie, but I feel like I did. She used to write to me a lot, and I still have all of her letters. She would talk to me about my mother, and she'd tell me what you were up to. She wrote about the journey to Eagle Station. I remember wishing you would come to California. I know Papa asked your father to move to Santa Barbara many times."

Adam nodded. "California was originally where we were headed, but once we got to Eagle Station, it seemed right to stay here. Ma wanted to stay, and so did Pa." The clock chimed nine times. "Hey, you two need to go to bed."

"C'mon, Adam, Pa's not here." Adam stood up, picking Joe up at the same time.

"Nope." He hoisted Joe over his shoulder and carried him into bed. Annie and Hoss could hear Joe giggling. Hoss looked down at Annie. "You want a ride to bed?"

She shook her head no. "Good night, Hoss." She gave him a kiss, then stood up with his help. A few minutes later, Annie was in bed, looking at a pile of letters tied with a ribbon. She had retrieved them from her trunk after getting into her nightgown. She slipped one out and started to read..

Ma chere Anna,

You sounded so sad in your last letter that I picked up my pen to answer you right away. You must not be afraid to ask your dear papa about your maman. Sometimes it is not easy for men to speak of these things; I know this to be true. But, it is important that you know these stories of your maman. She was a wonderful woman, and I know she would be proud of you. Promise me you will speak to your papa.

As you know, we have reached Eagle Station, a small town in Utah territory. I think perhaps town is too grand a word for this place, but your Uncle Benjamin and I have decided we shall stay a while. The mountains and the trees are indescribably beautiful and we have met kind people who welcome us. I think, perhaps, we shall stay here, but I do not know. Adam, Eric and Joseph have already made friends, and there is a small school.

Our love to your papa. I remain your loving

Tante Marie

Annie fell asleep wishing she had met her loving Tante Marie.

The silence of the night was broken by the sound of banging at the door and by Shelby's voice yelling "Hello the house! Adam, Hoss, wake up!" Annie struggled out of bed and opened the bedroom door in time to see Adam throw open the front door.

"Shelby? What is it? Is it Pa?"

"Well, kinda, but not the way you're thinkin' boy. Get that bear of a brother of your'n. I need help." Hoss followed Adam out the door as Joe peered anxiously out his bedroom door. His eyes widened as Adam and Shelby came in, half carrying, half dragging Ben into the house. Suddenly Ben looked up.

"What do ya do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor? Adam, shing with me, shon."

"Aw, Ben, would ya shut up? I've had to listen to these two singin' since we left ma saloon. I reckoned they was in no state to ride home." Sure enough, Hoss followed behind Adam with arms around his Uncle John. John looked at Shelby.

"Shelby, have I told ya how much I loves ya?" Hop Sing hurried to Hoss's aid as Adam and Shelby steered Ben into his room. Annie couldn't believe what she was seeing; both of her uncles were drunk!

"Hey, Hoss?"

"What is it Annie? We're kinda busy here!"

"Make sure Uncle John's on a bottom bunk, remember!"

 

Breakfast the next morning was very quiet. Neither Ben nor John looked like they were feeling well, and not one of the others were brave enough to say anything to them. That didn't stop Adam and Hoss from exchanging glances when they thought Pa or Uncle John weren't looking, and it didn't stop Annie and Joe from smirking as they looked down at their eggs. Finally Ben looked at all of them.

"Don't you have chores to do?" He instantly regretted the words as they pounded through his head. All four started to snicker until a look from him silenced them. They stood up quietly and meekly headed off to do chores.

John groaned. "I don't know the last time I felt this bad, Ben."

Ben looked up briefly as Hop Sing handed him a cloudy glass of water. "Thank you, Hop Sing." Hop Sing nodded and handed an identical glass to John. "I remember."

"You remember what?"

"I remember the last time I felt this way. It was when Eddie came to visit us in New Orleans. He and I went out for an evening and neither of us remembered how we got home. What is it about brothers leading me astray?"

"Eddie got drunk with you? I find that hard to believe. He turned priggish after he got married, if you ask me. I think Kathleen must have been a bit of a shrew."

Ben looked at John in disbelief. He looked around to make sure Annie wasn't within earshot. "Ed priggish? Kathleen a shrew? Where on earth did you get those ideas? She was a lovely woman. Neither she nor Marie gave us a hard time when we came home drunk and I heard her tell Marie the next day that it was a sad thing if a man had to worry about how his wife reacted when he enjoyed himself once in a while."

John shrugged, pleased that the motion didn't hurt as much as it did before Hop Sing's drink. Then he looked down at his hands. "Ben, I have a confession to make."

"I'm not Father."

"No, and it's a good thing you're not. He'd be very disappointed in me, I think. Ben, I visited Ed when he lived in St. Louis, and he and I didn't part on very good terms. He was bound and determined that I should return to Martha and John, and we had words. In fact, we had more than words. I left without patching it up. Now all these years later I know he was right and I was hoping to make it right with him this trip. I never can."

Ben thought about all the times their father had told them never to fight amongst themselves, and how many times he had told his sons the same thing. This was why, he thought. "I never knew. Ed wrote and told me that you'd visited, and that he tried to talk you into going home, but he never hinted about a fight." Ben looked thoughtful for a minute. "That's why you wanted to take Annie, isn't it? You thought you could make it up that way." John nodded. "I don't think Ed would want to you to live in the past, John. If I know him, he'd be the first to forgive and forget. He had a quick temper, but he was always quick to make up afterwards."

"Yeah, you're right. Well, at least I had a chance to get to know Annie. Ben, I think I'll be heading to San Francisco soon. I haven't decided exactly when, but Big Dan thinks I should be able to make it through the passes in a few weeks."

"I can't change your mind?"

"I won't lie - I've thought about staying, but the sea's call is getting louder the longer I stay. I haven't told Annie and the boys yet, I'll wait until I decide when to go." John stood up. "I think I'll go for a walk now. I need to clear some cobwebs from my brain."

The rest of the day passed quietly. The family wasn't together again until dinnertime. The conversation was subdued, but not as quiet has it had been at breakfast. It seemed to Annie that everyone looked tired, except for her. She had done nothing more strenuous than sit on the couch and read all day. She thought she would bust out of her skin if she didn't get to go riding soon.

"Annie?"

"Yes, Uncle Ben?"

"I forgot to mention. Dr. Martin thinks the cast can come off soon. He's going to stop by the house tomorrow for a look." Ben almost laughed at the look on her face. "Don't get your hopes up. I didn't say it was going to come off tomorrow, just that the doctor was going to look at it." Ben stood up. "Excellent dinner, Hop Sing. If you'll excuse me, I think I'll turn in early." He headed into his room just as his brother stood.

"I think that's a good idea. Good night everyone."

No sooner had the bunkroom door closed then Hoss started laughing. "Well, Adam, you was right."

Annie looked confused. "Right about what?"

Adam nodded. "Hoss was wondering what Pa would say about last night. I said Pa wasn't going to say anything. He's an adult and can do what he wants. Hoss was convinced he'd try to explain himself somehow." Adam reached over and poured himself a second cup of coffee. "I remember when your pa came to visit us in New Orleans. He and Pa went out one evening and had to be carried home just like that. I wasn't supposed to know, but I heard the ruckus and peeked out my door as Ma and your mother were dragging Pa into bed. Ma and Aunt Kathleen were laughing at him the whole time. I actually asked Ma about it the next morning because I didn't know what had happened. Ma explained that sometimes a man needed to go enjoy himself without women and children around him. I remember tiptoeing around that day, too, not that Pa or Uncle Ed came out of their rooms much." Adam drained his cup and stood up. "C'mon, Hoss, Joe, we've got chores to finish up."

Annie could barely sleep that night she was so excited about the cast coming off. She chided herself for believing that it would come off, remembering Uncle Ben's admonition that the doctor was just going to look at her leg. Still, the cast had been on for two months and her leg didn't hurt very much at all anymore. If it didn't come off today, she reasoned, surely it would come off soon.

Dr. Martin arrived shortly after breakfast. Adam, Hoss and Uncle John were outside doing chores; Uncle Ben waited inside with Annie. Annie lay on her bed as the doctor poked and prodded. She looked up hopefully at her uncle, who was holding her hand and watching the doctor. Finally the doctor looked at Annie and smiled.

"Well, young lady, I think today's the day. Now, I'm not going to lie to you. This will probably hurt a little, but you need to remember how good it will feel to have the cast off. I'm also going to warn you, your leg is going to look, well, ugly when I take the cast off. The skin hasn't had fresh air or light in 8 weeks, so the leg is going to be pale and maybe even wrinkly. That's normal, so don't get upset when you see it." Annie clutched her uncle's hand tighter and nodded her understanding. The doctor gestured Ben towards the door and whispered "now, Ben, I want you to keep her attention from what I'm doing. I'm hoping to not hurt her too much, but it will be easier if she's distracted."

Ben nodded and rejoined Annie by the bed. He pulled up her chair so he could sit next to her and took her hand. "Sweetheart, how would you like a story?"

Annie smiled; she knew what he was trying to do. "I'd like that Uncle Ben." She was nervous and she knew a story would make her feel better. "Uncle Ben, tell me about my grandmother."

Ben looked at her in surprise. "You mean, my mother?" Annie nodded, and kept her eyes closed as she could sense the doctor beginning his work. She grabbed her uncle's hand even tighter.

"Well, Annie, like Uncle John said, you look a lot like her, or at least the way she appeared in that portrait of her. Let me see, what can I tell you?" He looked at her pensively. "Well, she was a formidable woman. I think she had to be to survive living with my father and her three sons. She was stubborn, strong, and stern, but we never doubted her love for us. She sat by our beds when we were sick, nursed our wounds when we got hurt, punished us when she felt we needed it and more than once 'forgot' to tell our father of some mischief we had gotten into. She was also like a mama bear if she thought one of her cubs was being threatened.

"I remember when your Pa first started school. He used his left hand to write, like you and Joe do. Well, he had a mean old teacher. The teacher was determined that Eddie wouldn't use his left hand and kept beating his left hand with a ruler. My father didn't say anything, which surprised me. Usually if he found out we got in trouble in school, we'd be in trouble with him, too." Annie smiled – that sounded like a familiar rule. "What I didn't know was that my mother was getting more and more angry about the punishment and she and my father argued about it when we boys weren't around. My father felt that Eddie had to learn to abide by the rules of the school but Mother believed Eddie was being treated unfairly. She deferred to my father, however and didn't say anything. Finally though, Eddie came home with a note from the teacher. The teacher accused Eddie of being disrespectful and stubborn because he refused to write with his right hand. The teacher went on to say that Eddie's use of his left hand was a sign of a lazy child and that the teacher would not tolerate it any longer. Father was very angry that Eddie had been disrespectful and was going to punish him after supper for it. Mother was as angry as I ever saw her, but with Father, not with Eddie. I remember her standing up at the table. 'Joseph Cartwright,' she yelled. 'Do you mean to tell me you are going to punish this boy for doing what is natural for him?' We three boys just sat quietly, wide-eyed. Our parents had never argued in front of us, although we knew they argued in private. My mother had never questioned my father's authority as head of the house and we didn't know what to do. 'Sit down, woman. Not now.' 'Not now? Will you let that man tell you that your son is lazy because he is left-handed? I'm left-handed, would you believe that I am lazy? If you do not go to that school and stand up for your son, then I will!' With that she stormed away from the table. My father just sat there, stunned. He looked at the three of us and cleared his throat. 'Yes, well, boys, clean the dishes please.' Then he went after my mother. We don’t know what they said in private but the next morning my father went to the school and had Eddie transferred to a different teacher."

Annie smiled, then grimaced as she felt a tug. The doctor spoke up. "You can open your eyes, Annie. I'm all done."

Annie looked down at her leg and quickly looked away. It was as ugly as the doctor had said it would be. It didn't even look like her leg. "Don't worry, it'll look normal soon. Now, you'll have to do some exercises to get the strength back, and I don't want you running or riding for a while. It might still have a twinge once in a while, but if you feel a lot of pain, tell your uncle." Annie nodded her understanding as the doctor explained the exercises she had to do.

The doctor and Uncle Ben left Annie's room. She forced herself to look at her leg. She wrinkled her nose in disgust, then slowly swung her feet over the edge of the bed. She was just about to stand when Uncle Ben came through the door.

"Hang on, let me help you." He helped her stand and she gingerly placed some weight on her leg. "Does it hurt?"

"No, sir, not really." Annie shook her head. "It just feels, well, weak, I guess."

Ben nodded. "Dr. Martin said it might feel like that. He left this cane for you if you need it." Annie looked at the cane curiously, then tried walking with it. She hobbled out of her bedroom door and towards the front door, her uncle following closely behind her.

"Just where do you think you're going?"

Annie turned as she opened the door. "Outside of this house!" She stepped onto the porch and sniffed the cool air. Finally, after two months, she walked down the steps of the porch and into the yard.