Haunting Images

By Hope

 

A special thank you goes out to David Dortort for creating those wonderful Cartwrights and letting me borrow them. As always thanks to Matt, Danny, Drew, and Jared for their terrific portrayals of the Cartwrights which I try to capture in my tales.

Thanks to my pal Kierin for posting this on her site.

The usual disclaimers apply. Rated PG-17. Warning: Not recommended for those with weak stomachs. J

(Note: A few months ago I wrote a story that brought Adam back from college, the family built the two-story house Bonanza fans remember, and Adam got his other horse, Sport. Just wanted to mention it in case you start reading and think it's a Bonanza story instead of a Ponderosa one.)

 

Adam hadn't trusted the man from the beginning. A drifter looking for work one day, Trent Moyer was hired when he'd herded some lost cattle back to the Ponderosa. Apparently they'd drifted into a box canyon, or so the man had said. Skeptical, Adam expressed his concerns to his father but his father had offered the man a job anyway, believing in giving people chances.

Now as Adam looked down the barrel of Moyer's .45, he knew his instincts had been right.

The man was after the money Ben Cartwright was giving Mike Burrell for 300 prime head of beef. While the rest of the Cartwrights and Hop Sing were at the Founder's Day doings, Adam had remained behind to complete the transaction. The cattle were being delivered to the north range and then Burrell was due back at the house with Sam Johnson, the Cartwright's foreman, so he could be paid for his beef. Burrell's stock was excellent and the Cartwrights were anticipating merging their herd with the new cattle, thereby increasing the quality of their stock.

Three thousand dollars was an excellent price for cattle of this quality. It was also a very tempting amount for a man like Moyer.

"Burrell's due any moment to get paid, Moyer," Adam informed the thief.

Confident, Moyer stated, "They're due here in an hour, Cartwright. I know the arrangements."

Adam studied him and the weapon held cocked and aimed Adam's way. He wasn't wearing his gun belt. He had planned to join the others in town once the family business was taken care of but he hadn't gotten ready to leave yet. Adam had been reading while waiting impatiently for the deal to be transacted. He considered his odds but they were not very good at the moment.

Moyer turned the weapon slightly and fired. The gun discharged with a loud BOOM and the bullet chipped a piece of wood off the chair Adam was standing next to. "I said open that safe!" He again pointed the weapon at Adam. "NOW!"

The money wasn't worth his life. Adam moved slowly toward the safe, keeping an eye on Moyer and the gun. Moyer watched his every move. "Don't try anything, Cartwright."

Adam bent down to open the safe. He turned the dial first right several numbers, then left several more numbers, then right again until he came to the last digit. Turning the latch down, he pulled the door open. Moyer came over to him, gun still pointed and cocked, and ordered, "Back away."

Adam got up slowly and stepped away from the safe, once more eyeing the gun. Moyer kept an eye on him while grabbing the loot in the safe. There was the $3,000 in an envelope and he grabbed that along with a number of loose bills which were laying inside. He got up and faced Adam while stuffing the money in his jacket pocket.

Adam stood by calmly but his calmness belied the anger growing inside. "All right, you got your money, Moyer."

"You expect me to just take the money and go?"

With those words, Adam realized the man's deadly intentions. He considered a way to overpower him but at the moment Adam's chances seemed poor. "That's right."

"And leave you around to tell the whole world it was me?"

Adam didn't answer.

"You think I'm stupid, right?"

"I know you are. They're going to know it was you whether I’m around or not."

"Oh really? How come?"

"You disappear right after this - who do you think they're going to suspect?"

Moyer scratched his chin with his gun for a moment then aimed it once again Adam's way. "Hmmm. You got a point. So I guess after I kill you I'll just hafta work a little longer around this place 'til this all dies down." He smiled menacingly. "Think that'll work?"

Adam knew his time had run out and took the one chance he had. He jerked his head toward the door as if someone was coming. "They're here!"

In the split second Moyer was distracted, Adam used that time to grab the edge of the large round table he had gradually managed to maneuver himself behind and which Moyer was next to and flipped it up. The gun discharged as Moyer's hand was hit and the weapon went flying. Adam rushed forward and lunged at Moyer. A fierce struggle ensued. Both men landed intense blows while attempting to be the first to reach the gun laying nearby, but for several tense moments neither man could break away long enough to grab it.

Moyer finally nailed Adam a hard right and, dazed, Adam fought to regain his senses while Moyer reached for the gun. Grabbing it and getting to his feet slowly after the punches Adam had inflicted on him, Moyer took his time aiming and cocking the weapon. He was going to enjoy this.

Adam's head cleared a little more but suddenly an image flashed across his mind - that of another gun cocked and aimed his way. He closed his eyes and shook his head once, fighting the horrible memory off and braced for the impact from Moyer's gun. But at the last second, Adam thought quickly and uttered, "Fifty thousand!"

Moyer hesitated a moment. "What?"

Adam coughed and grasped his ribs. "Fifty thousand dollars."

"What are you talkin' about, Cartwright?"

"You could get fifty thousand dollars," Adam winced. "And you're settling for three?"

"You're stallin'."

Adam snorted slightly. "Go ahead. Pull the trigger."

"Get up!"

Adam took a breath then rose slowly. He looked at the man.

"Tell me about the money, Cartwright."

"There's another safe upstairs with the money in it."

The man was more than skeptical. "Fifty thousand dollars?"

"Yes."

"What do you take me for, Cartwright?"

"You tell me."

"Why would your pa leave fifty thousand dollars lying around when he could put it in the bank?"

Adam again grabbed his ribs, though he was feigning injury, and spoke hesitantly. "Five banks in this area were robbed in the past three months. Cleaned out. Do you think we'd leave our money exposed like that?"

Moyer scrutinized him. He hated all the Cartwrights and what they stood for. He also knew that Adam Cartwright was sharper than most folks around. But if fifty thousand was possible… "All right. Let's go get it." His tone left no doubt as he warned, "And you better hope it's there."

Adam nodded and began to head slowly toward the stairs with the thief close behind. As they walked, Adam thought desperately for a way out.

He took the first step slowly, as if still hurting from the fight. Moyer jabbed him with the gun and Adam went on to the next step, just as slowly. Moyer remained closely on his heels. The third step was reached, then the fourth. 'Think Adam!' he told himself. The fifth step came next, then the sixth, and then the landing partway up. Adam scanned the area without moving his head, but, aside from the Indian blanket on the railing, there was nothing moveable. The step after the landing was next. Adam took a moment to catch his breath but Moyer wasn't falling for it. "Move!"

Adam clasped his right hand to his ribs and gingerly took the next step. 'Now or never.' He set his foot on the next step but the foot purposely only caught part of the step. Adam stumbled low, falling back into Moyer while at the same time instantly swinging his arm around to try and knock the man's gun aside. The man yelled, the gun discharged with a loud BOOM, and Adam felt the bullet whiz past his head. He used his momentum to force Moyer against the railing and the two men fought for control of the .45. Adam managed to slam Moyer's gun hand down and the gun went flying off the banister to the floor below. Adam dodged Moyer's fist and nailed Moyer with his own fist, catching him in the midsection and then with another blow to his skull, knocking the man down senseless. Breathing hard, Adam took a second to catch his breath.

At that moment, the front door burst open and in rushed Sam Johnson and Mike Burrell with pistols aimed. Johnson looked up to see Adam bracing himself on the banister. "You all right, Adam?"

Adam nodded and the two men at the door came over. Moyer was beginning to rise and Adam grabbed him roughly by the arm and forced him down the stairs. Moyer took note of the two guns now aimed his way and didn't put up a fight.

"What's going on?" Burrell demanded.

Adam grabbed the envelope out of Moyer's pocket and held it out to Burrell. "He was stealing the money we were going to buy the cattle with."

Johnson grabbed Moyer roughly by his other arm. "Come on, you!" He began leading the man out but Adam stopped him. "Wait!" Adam walked over and pulled the rest of the money out of the man's pocket. "This belongs to us."

Moyer sneered at Adam but Adam ignored him and asked the foreman, "You got him, Sam?"

"Yep. I can handle one snake - no problem." He pushed Moyer out the door.

Adam turned to Burrell. "Thanks for your help."

Burrell snorted. "We weren't much help, Adam. Looks like you had the situation well under control."

Adam half-laughed. Burrell went to the overturned table and helped Adam right it. The rancher then asked, "Who was he?"

Adam set a chair back into place. "A drifter we hired."

Burrell looked around and went to retrieve Moyer's gun laying on the floor. "Oughtta be more careful who ya hire," he said while checking the gun out.

Adam responded quietly, "Yeah."

Burrell indicated the gun as he remarked, "His gun I take it?"

Adam nodded as Burrell handed him the gun. Adam asked, "Want some brandy?"

"Nah. Gotta get back to my crew. They're waitin' for me out on yer range."

Adam nodded and extended his hand toward the man. "Safe trip."

Burrell returned the handshake. "Good doin' business with you, Adam."

"You, too," Adam responded then saw the man out.

************

Adam wasn't in much of a mood for the celebration in town so he spent the remainder of the day straightening up the downstairs area then fixed himself a bite to eat. The others would have eaten at the Founder's Day celebration, and Hop Sing was due to stay in town with friends the next two nights. After barely touching his dinner, Adam cleaned up the dishes and was just getting ready to resume his reading when he heard footsteps on the porch. His family burst in, with Adam's father appearing first. Ben hurried over to Adam. "Are you all right, Son?"

Adam set the book aside but stayed seated in his blue chair. "Yes."

Joe and Hoss came closer, a bit anxious. Hoss volunteered, "Sam told us Moyer tried ta rob ya."

Little Joe scrutinized his oldest brother and noted the bruises on his face. "You sure you're all right, Adam?"

"Yeah." Adam was tired and sore but otherwise seemed fine.

Ben put a hand on Adam's shoulder. "I should've listened to you, Son. Never should've hired him."

Adam shrugged, "It's over," and got up.

Ben studied his son. "Adam, Roy's coming out tomorrow to get the details."

Adam nodded once then informed his family, "Burrell got his money and the herd got delivered." He added, "Think I'll turn in." Walking a bit slower than his usual pace, Adam headed toward the stairs as his worried father and brothers watched him go. He stopped for a moment as he reached the foot of the stairs and turned back to say, "Good night."

His family bid him good night with concern noticeable on their faces as Adam continued up the stairs.

Once he was out of sight, Hoss looked to his father. "He didn't seem ta want ta talk about it."

Ben continued to stare in the direction Adam had gone. He mumbled absently, "No."

Joe, too, looked his father's way. "Think he's all right?"

Ben let out a breath and turned to face his youngest sons. "Let him get some rest. Perhaps he'll want to talk about it in the morning." But Ben knew better. "I'm turning in, too. Good night, boys."

His sons chorused "Good night," then watched as their father ascended the stairs, also.

Once upstairs, Ben walked down the hall toward his room. As he passed Adam's closed door, he hesitated. A few moments passed as he struggled with a decision. At last, he knocked lightly on the door. It was another few moments before the he heard the door latch being turned and Adam appeared, looking tired and a bit solemn. "Pa?"

"Can I come in?"

Ben could tell that Adam was reluctant, but he turned to go back inside while leaving the door open, and Ben followed him in, closing the door behind them. Adam sat on the side of his bed and Ben came over to him. "Son? Do you want to talk about it?"

Adam shook his head slowly.

Ben took a chair by the desk and pulled it closer. The dark bruises on his son's face were evident in the lantern light. "I'm sorry you had to go through that today, Adam."

Adam didn't answer; he just focused on his hands which he'd clasped together.

"No amount of money is worth your life."

The fingers unclasped, then clasped again.

Ben eyed his son. "He just wanted the money, right? You should have given it to him, Son."

Adam snorted slightly.

"What? Tell me."

"I gave it to him, Pa. And he was going to kill me anyway."

Ben tensed. "No."

Adam's thoughts turned inward. He pictured the .45 cocked and ready to blow his head off. He spoke as if to himself. "He almost did it. But at the last second, I told him there was more money in the house - fifty thousand dollars. That bought me enough time."

Ben had no idea he'd come so close to losing his eldest son. He silently thanked the good Lord for sparing him.

"I'm so glad you're all right. Get some rest, Son."

Adam nodded solemnly.

Ben got up and left Adam to his thoughts.

************

The nightmares had returned. Shadowy images taunted Adam as he attempted to sleep. He tossed and turned and at last cried out. Bolting to an upright position, Adam struggled out of the depths and became aware of his name being called urgently. "Adam! Adam!" It was Hoss who gripped his arms now and worriedly tried to get through to his brother in the darkness. "It's me! Hoss!"

Lantern light appeared in the doorway, followed by Adam's youngest brother who was carrying the lantern. "What's goin' on?" Little Joe asked sleepily.

Their father appeared immediately after Joe. He hurried into the room. "What is it?"

Hoss could see Adam more clearly now in the light and scrutinized him. Adam pulled out of Hoss's grip and absently pushed his hair back. "Nothing. I'm sorry I woke you all up."

Hoss stood up and glanced over at his younger brother and his father. "He had a nightmare I reckon." Little Joe and Ben studied Adam for a moment.

Bothered by the family's well-intentioned yet unwanted concern, Adam told them, "Go to bed; I'm all right," and laid back down.

His family wasn't so sure. They exchanged looks and Ben nodded in the direction of the door, signaling for his other sons to leave. He went over and turned Adam's lantern up a bit as Joe took the other lantern and left the room with Hoss.

Adam saw his father had remained behind and repeated, "I'm all right, Pa. Go to bed."

His son certainly didn't seem all right, but Ben didn't argue. After considering Adam for a few moments, he turned the lantern back down and said, "See you in the morning, Son."

Adam nodded and watched his father leave, pulling the door closed as he went. Now shrouded in darkness, Adam recalled the nightmares. What had it been, five years? He'd thought they were buried in his past along with the horrible memories, but they'd returned again - in full force.

Sleep would apparently be his enemy now, just as it had been so many years ago.

************

Quiet at breakfast, Adam kept to himself for most of the morning, working around the barn or chopping wood. He declined his brothers offers of help and also his father's insistence that he rest today.

Sheriff Coffee showed up before noon and took Adam's statement. Not anxious to relive it, Adam nonetheless relayed the details to the sheriff as his family listened nearby. Adam showed no emotion as he told them everything he could remember but purposely neglected mentioning the unnerving image that had appeared in his mind right before Moyer was going to shoot him.

Ben listened to his son's account of the attempted robbery and again chastised himself for having hired the man against Adam's recommendation to send him on his way.

"Well, that's about it, I reckon." Roy Coffee grabbed his hat and stood up.

Adam and Ben had been sitting also and they rose as the sheriff got up. Little Joe and Hoss had been hovering in the background leaning against some furniture. They straightened up as the sheriff prepared to leave.

Roy added, "Sounds like an open and shut case, Adam. 'Specially since there were two other witnesses. We'll see if the judge wants to have a hearing or if we gotta have a jury trial."

Anxious to forget the whole incident, Adam's brow furrowed at the mention of a trial. The sheriff took note of that. "Don't worry none. I don't think it'll come to a trial."

Adam nodded half-heartedly.

Ben followed the sheriff to the door. "Thanks for coming, Roy."

"Don't mention it, Ben. Glad it turned out all right."

"Yes." Ben watched the sheriff leave then closed the door. Turning back to his sons, he saw that his eldest son still wore the impassive look he'd been wearing most of the day.

Adam frowned as he glanced around and realized he remained the center of attention. He mumbled, "Goin' riding," and walked over to retrieve his hat and holster.

His brothers exchanged looks with their father, and Little Joe offered, "Mind if I come, Adam? I could use some fresh air."

Adam adjusted his holster answering, "Some other time, all right?" He wasn't in the mood for company.

Little Joe nodded. "Sure, Adam. Take it easy."

Adam nodded also, put his hat on, then left. His family stared at the closed door for a few moments before Hoss turned to his father to ask, "Pa, what's wrong with him?"

Little Joe also looked to his father.

Ben rubbed his hand over his face as he considered the question. "I'm not sure, boys. He went through a lot yesterday. I think he just needs a little time to get over it." Ben considered his youngest sons and, after a time, informed them, "We almost lost him yesterday. We came real close."

They hadn't realized how serious it had been, even after listening to Adam's account. Hoss plopped down on the settee and shook his head. "I hadn't thought about that. Dang!"

Little Joe echoed that sentiment. "Yeah."

Ben came closer to them and put a hand on each of their shoulders. "We just need to give him some room. And some time."

His sons nodded.

Ben again looked toward the door and muttered to himself. "Give him some time."

************

Adam sat atop his horse, Sport, and looked out over the vast, beautiful Lake Tahoe. It was peaceful here and this was the place Adam chose often when he needed to think things over. A hawk flew overhead and Adam watched it glide across the sky - totally free from the world below.

A rifle shot sounded far in the distance and Adam tensed on the reins. Sport shifted nervously but Adam kept him under control and pulled his pistol out as he scanned the area. There were so many trees around it was impossible to see much. Telling himself it was probably just someone hunting, Adam eventually eased the gun back into its holster but it took several more minutes before his nerves completely calmed.

He again looked out over the lake. An image streaked across his mind - of him drowning. Adam's breath caught and he shook his head to chase the image away. The image became more defined. He was being forced under water, gasping, by two men. "No!" he cried out, causing Sport to again shift in place nervously. Grasping the reins tighter, Adam forced the image aside and quickly patted Sport's neck. "Easy, boy. Easy." The horse settled down.

They were back. The memories. The horrible memories. After all this time, they were back. Adam bent his head and shook it solemnly.

************

Little Joe and Hoss came inside the house and stopped to set their hats on the dresser by the door. Ben was working at his desk and got up when he heard his sons arrive. Coming around to join them, he asked, "Did you find him?"

"Yeah," Hoss responded. "He was at the lumber camp."

"Is he coming home soon?"

Joe glanced at Hoss then answered, "Uh, we don't know, Pa. He was workin' and we couldn't get much out of him."

Ben contemplated his sons. "Supervising the crew? That's what we have Red Tarver for."

"Nah, he was cuttin' trees down, Pa," Hoss told him.

Ben look quizzically at his sons. "Cutting trees down? That's why we have a crew."

"We know, Pa," Joe put in. "But he just seemed to want to do it."

Ben again looked at his sons and they shrugged. He thought about it for a few moments. "Well, when he gets tired he'll come home." Ben walked over to the chair that had been damaged by the bullet from Moyer's gun and absently fingered the damage.

Joe came over to him. "Pa, we can go back out and bring him home if you want us to."

Hoss nodded.

"No," their father said, still running his hand over that section of the chair. "Let him be." His thoughts were turned inward until he realized his sons remained standing there. He looked at them. "Take care of the stock. I'll be out to help shortly."

Little Joe and Hoss nodded and did as they were asked. It was unusual for their father to be helping with the stock as that task was theirs, but they realized he must have wanted to fill in for Adam while Adam had his efforts and thoughts directed elsewhere. With one last glance their father's way, Hoss and Joe headed outside.

************

Another restless night lay ahead for Adam. He had come home late, had declined Hop Sing's offer to reheat dinner for him, and had gone to bed with only a quick good night to his family. He didn't stay long enough to see their concerned looks but he knew they were there.

Hoping to be left alone, he didn't turn up the lantern in his room and, after throwing off his boots, collapsed on the bed.

Fortunately for Adam his father understood and didn't stop by.

As exhausted as he was from the physical work he'd done that day, it didn't take long for Adam to fall asleep. But it also didn't take long for the images to take hold in his mind once again. He was slammed against a wall and, as he fell, a boot caught him in the midsection and took his breath away. Yanked up by the collar, he was struck in the face with a fist, then struck hard on the side of the head. "No!" he cried out. "No!" yet again.

"Adam!" Little Joe tried shaking his brother awake. "It's Joe!"

The room was pitch black and Adam struggled against his assailant. "No! No!" he shouted again.

Hoss ran in to help Little Joe subdue him. "Adam! It's all right. Yer dreamin'! Yer jus' dreamin'!"

Just then, their father came rushing in. Ben managed to get the lantern lit as Adam finally realized where he was. Breathing hard, he looked up at his family then clenched his eyes closed and turned away.

Ben put a hand on his shoulder. "It's all right, Son."

Adam jerked out of his reach. Still breathing haltingly, he retorted, "No, it's not."

His family exchanged looks.

Adam pinched the bridge of his nose.

Hoss said gently, "Adam, anybody would have nightmares after what Moyer tried ta do. Ain't nothin' ta be ashamed of."

"He's right, Adam," Joe added quietly.

Their father suspected there was more to this.

Adam looked away from them.

Ben glanced at his other sons then back at Adam. He said calmly, "Try to relax, Son. We'll leave you alone." He left the lantern going and prodded his other sons out. With one last glance back at his eldest son, Ben closed the door.

Once they had gone, Adam swung his legs over the side of his bed and collapsed his head in his hands.

************

The rest of the family was seated around the table the next morning as Adam came down the stairs. Looking weary from lack of sleep, he forced a smile as he said, "Good morning" and took his seat at the table.

The others were pleased he was joining them as he had missed the last several meals with the family. Hop Sing poured his coffee. "Very glad you're eating," the cook noted then shuffled off to the kitchen.

Adam took some bacon and Little Joe passed the platter of eggs. "Thanks, Joe." Adam took some of the eggs then laid the platter to the side. His family exchanged smiles, glad to see Adam's appetite had returned.

His father decided to act like everything was normal and discussed the new herd. Adam offered his thoughts on the subject as he ate. His brothers also offered their ideas and Joe joked with Hoss while keeping an eye on his oldest brother. Hoss joked right back, also keeping an eye on Adam, though not so he would notice.

But Adam was keenly aware he was on display.

Ben sipped some coffee. "Adam, I'm going to town today. Perhaps you'd like to come and have lunch with me at the hotel?"

Adam said quietly, "No, thanks, Pa."

Ben set his cup aside. "You'd be doing me a favor. Walt Thompson may stop by. He's been wanting me to consider a business deal with him."

Adam again responded quietly, "No."

"But you could just …"

Adam slammed his napkin down with a force that made the silverware clink against the table. "I said no, Pa!" He glanced around the table. "And I don't need three keepers!" He got up and pushed his chair out roughly. "I'm going to work."

Stalking over to the door, he grabbed his hat and holster and left. Adam's brothers looked to their father as worry creased Ben's brow.

Hoss began to get up. "I'll talk to him."

Ben grabbed his arm. "No. Sit down, Hoss."

"But …" His father's look cut off any objections. Hoss reluctantly complied and took his seat.

Ben addressed both of his sons. "I'll handle this. You two stay here." Heading to the door, he didn't stop for his hat or holster before leaving.

************

He found Adam hurriedly saddling his horse. "Adam?"

Grabbing the bridle, Adam adjusted it on Sport.

"Son, I want to talk to you."

"What about?" Adam asked irritably.

"I want to help."

Adam shot back, "I don't need help," and began leading Sport out of the stall.

Ben blocked his way. "Yes, you do. You're not acting like yourself. Ever since Moyer tried to …"

Adam attempted to push past him and he cut his father's words off. "Leave it alone, Pa."

Undeterred, Ben continued to block his way and said gently, "Something's bothering you, Adam, and you need to talk about it."

"No."

"Perhaps Doc Martin can …"

"I said NO!" Adam bulled his way past his father, knocking Ben to the side. Mounting up quickly, Adam tore off on his horse.

Ben got up and rubbed his arm where Adam had strong-armed him. Desperate for answers, Ben decided to consult Doc Martin anyway.

************

Ben knocked on the door and it was a few moments before Doctor Paul Martin opened it.

"Ben! Good to see you. Come in." The doctor opened the door wider and waited for Ben to come inside then closed the door. "I'm just finishing up with Tommy Lawton. Can you wait a minute?"

Ben took his hat off, glanced over, and saw young Tommy with his mother. "Hello, Tommy. Mrs. Lawton."

Mrs. Lawton smiled. Little Tommy had tears in his eyes and a big bandage on his hand.

As the doctor reached to retrieve some medicine to hand to Tommy's mother, he informed Ben, "Tommy cut his hand on a broken bottle."

Ben smiled to the young boy. "You're mighty brave, Tommy. I bet your momma was scared."

Tommy nodded solemnly. Mrs. Lawton again smiled Ben's way.

The doctor addressed Mrs. Lawton. "Give him a teaspoon of this every twelve hours for three days. If infection starts to set in, be sure and bring him back."

"Thank you, Doctor."

The doctor bent down to address the child. "Tommy, you stay away from broken glass, all right?"

The little boy nodded solemnly again.

"Good boy." The doctor escorted the two out.

Ben called, "Goodbye Mrs. Lawton. Tommy," as mother and child left.

After the door was closed, Doc Martin turned to Ben. "Well, what can I do for you, Ben? Is this a social call?"

Ben laid his hat on a table and let out a deep sigh. "No. I need your advice."

The doctor noted the concerned look on his face. "Come on into the den and we'll discuss this." Ben nodded and followed him into the other room.

The doctor went over to some liquor bottles and some glasses by the bookcase. "Care for a brandy?"

Ben considered it. It was a bit early but he felt he could use one. "Thanks, Paul."

The doctor poured them each a glass and handed Ben's to him. He indicated a chair. "Sit down, Ben, and tell me about it."

Ben smiled his thanks and took the proffered chair. "It's Adam."

"Oh?"

Ben studied his glass, trying to gather his thoughts. "You heard about the robbery at the ranch on Founder's Day?"

The doctor set his glass down after having taken a few sips. "Yes. I heard Adam had been in a struggle but that he hadn't been badly hurt."

Ben took several sips of his drink, also. "He was bruised but otherwise physically I think he's all right."

The doctor waited for him to continue.

"But something's bothering him. He hasn't been himself ever since that day."

"How do you mean?"

Ben got up to pace the room as he recalled his son's behavior. "He's been having nightmares. He's irritable. Keeps to himself. Won't eat much ..." Ben turned toward his friend. "Paul, I don't know what's wrong and he won't tell me."

"Hmmm." The doctor contemplated the situation. "Can his brothers get anything out of him?"

"No. They've tried."

The doctor studied on the problem. "Can you get him by here? Maybe I can talk to him."

Ben snorted. "I tried that today. No luck."

"Hmmm," Doc Martin repeated. "Ben, sometimes there are just no easy answers."

Ben retrieved his glass and took a few more sips.

The doctor felt for his friend. "Until Adam's ready to talk ..."

"But he's hurting, Paul. Why won't he let me help?"

"Perhaps Adam doesn't understand what's wrong. And if he doesn't know, how can he explain it to you?"

Ben considered that possibility. "Maybe you're right."

The doctor came over to him. "I'd suggest letting him try and work this out. Don't prod him or you could push him away farther."

Ben nodded as he took in the advice.

Laying his hand on his friend's back, the doctor said, "He'll be all right."

Ben let out a long breath. "I hope so." He set his glass on a table. "Thanks, Paul."

"Let me know if I can do anything."

Ben again nodded, though absently, and retrieved his hat. "I will." With that, he left.

The doctor watched as Ben walked out, and he remained staring in that direction for awhile, cogitating over the situation.

************

Well, he'd made the attempt that morning. Adam had come down the stairs, wished his family good morning, and tried to eat breakfast even though food held no appeal to him. But after feeling like an animal on display, and after his father's repeated attempts to try and get him to go to town when Adam had told him no twice, Adam's patience had run out. As he now reached for the canteen hanging by a strap on a post out on the range, Adam recalled the scene in the barn and how he had treated his father. He shook his head and silently chastised himself for having behaved that way.

Uncapping the canteen and letting the water flow freely into his mouth and run down the sides, an image suddenly invaded his mind - the foul water in the tin cup. Adam dropped the canteen as if it had become a fiery hot branding iron and backed away while spitting out the water he had drunk from the canteen. The memories were back to torment him yet again. He clasped his hands to the sides of his head and squeezed to try and make the images go away. The filthy water that had made his insides rebel just from the smell - would that putrid odor ever be forgotten? The ghastly food that made him retch just by looking at it - he'd never get the gruesome taste completely out of his mouth or the hideous sight of it blocked from his mind.

Adam collapsed to the ground bent over, rested his head in his hands, and rocked slowly back and forth.

************

He'd managed to bed Sport down though he was weary from putting fence posts up all day by himself and weak from not having eaten much in the past few days. The moonlight shone over the yard as Adam walked toward the house. He hoped his father had turned in early so he wouldn't have to explain his earlier actions. Joe and Hoss were apparently in town as their horses hadn't been in their stalls when Adam had bedded Sport down.

Adam came in, unbuckled his gun belt, and began rolling it up. His father was alone, seated in his red chair, and reading a book. He glanced up when Adam had come in but didn't say anything and returned to his reading. Adam set the gun belt on the dresser and put his hat on top of that. He hesitated then came over a little closer toward his father. "Pa?"

Ben looked up and waited patiently for his son to speak.

Adam hesitated yet again. With a slight sigh, he finally remarked, "I'm sorry I rode off like that this morning."

Ben smiled easily and set his book aside. "Apology accepted, Adam."

Adam half-smiled back then took a step to go.

"Wait - please?" his father asked.

Here it comes, Adam thought. "Pa, I'm really tired."

Ben rose and said quietly, "I know, Son. I just wanted to mention something before you turned in."

Adam let out another longer sigh and shot a glance toward the stairs.

Ben had rehearsed it over and over in his mind, trying to get it just right. "You boys have been working real hard lately, Adam. I'd like all of you to take a couple days off. Go into town and enjoy yourselves. Or go hunting. Camping. Just relax."

Adam saw through him immediately. His father wasn't one for leisure nor did he encourage it often for his sons. "I don't need time off." He turned toward the stairs.

"Wait, Son." Ben thought quickly. "Hop Sing saved dinner for you. I'll get it."

Adam mumbled, "Not hungry," and continued on up the stairs.

Ben's shoulders slumped as he watched his son ascend the stairs. This was yet another setback but he wasn't about to give up.

************

Adam laid on his bed wide awake in the dark waiting until he heard first his father's footsteps heading down the hall then, an hour later, his brothers' steps as they had returned home and turned in also. They were noisier than their father, as usual, and there was no mistaking the heavy clumping of Hoss's feet nor the lighter sound of Joe's boots on the wood floor. Once Adam was sure his family was in bed, he rose and came down the stairs, feeling his way in the dark. He grabbed the Indian blanket halfway down the stairs on the banister and, once he'd reached the bottom step, went over to re-stoke the fire. He stretched out on the settee with the blanket and attempted to sleep, hoping if the nightmares returned that his family wouldn't hear him cry out this time, nor Hop Sing.

The nightmares did return - as terrifying as ever. Taunted over and over again that he was going to die, Adam swung out at his tormenters but it was useless. They remained well out of his reach and continued to gloat and threaten him with a violent end. His parched throat closed in making breathing difficult and he gasped for breath as his captors laughed at his agony. "Pa!" he screamed. "Help me! Help me!" The shadowy figures continued to laugh while Adam backed against the wall desperately trying to catch his breath and closing his ears to the laughter. "Pa!"

"Easy, Son! Easy!" Ben implored as he grasped Adam's arms. Adam's family once again surrounded him, this time with Hop Sing standing worriedly by with the lantern.

"Adam! Adam!" It was Hoss now trying to avoid Adam's legs as his brother kicked out in self-defense.

Little Joe helped pin Adam's legs as the fight at last began to run out of their brother and as Adam returned to a conscious state.

Adam looked blearily around and could see the arms restraining him and the looks on the faces of his family and Hop Sing.

"It's all over now, Son. Calm down." Ben loosened his grip as did Hoss and Little Joe.

Adam's breathing still came in labored breaths as he pushed himself up and moved away from everyone. He could see the pity and the concern on their faces. He ran both hands roughly through his hair as he groaned, "It won't stop!"

Ben asked gently, "What won't stop, Son?"

"The nightmares. They won't stop!" He leaned up against the wall and shut his eyes.

His brothers looked to their father, as Hop Sing looked Ben's way, too. They so wanted to help Adam but were at a loss. Ben walked over to his eldest son. "What nightmares, Adam? Tell us about them."

Adam collapsed to a sitting position on the floor with knees up and rested his head in his hands. "I can't."

Ben dared a hand on Adam's shoulder. "You can't keep it inside, Adam. It's tearing you up." He squeezed the shoulder. "What are the nightmares about?"

Adam didn't answer for several long moments as his family waited patiently nearby, desperate to help. At last, Adam looked up with torment in his eyes and revealed, "Mandible."

Ben did an audible intake of breath while his youngest sons' faces registered alarm. Hop Sing shook his head solemnly.

Ben again squeezed his son's shoulder then asked Hoss, "Get him some brandy."

Hoss nodded then went to get the drink. Little Joe came over closer to Adam while Hop Sing stayed off to the side and lit another lantern for the family.

Hoss brought the drink over and held it out to his father. Ben took it, then knelt down to his eldest son. "Here, Adam. Drink this."

Adam made no immediate move but at last reached for the glass. He tossed half of the drink down then held the glass against his face while remaining in his earlier position.

Little Joe asked softly, "How long have you been having these nightmares, Adam?"

Adam closed his eyes as he told Joe, "Since the robbery."

His family exchanged looks. Hoss came over closer to his older brother. "But ya ain't had them fer years, Adam. Wonder why yer getting' 'em now?"

Adam shrugged and shook his head.

Ben thought about it. Something must have happened during the robbery that had brought it all back. But what?

Ben's heart twisted as the family remained focused around Adam. His son looked so forlorn still sitting in that same position. It reminded Ben of a young Adam of long ago. "Come on, Son. You'll be more comfortable on the settee."

Adam looked up at him. He was in no shape to argue or make decisions for himself. He let his father prod him to a standing position then over to the settee as his brothers followed them over. Adam sat down and again ran his hand through his hair.

Ben sat next to him while Hoss took his father's red chair and Joe settled into Adam's favorite blue one. Hop Sing announced, "I will make coffee," and left the room.

Adam no longer felt his family was intruding on him as he had felt in the past few days. He felt helpless for one of the few times in his life and desperately needed all of them.

Hoss volunteered, "I'll stay up with Adam if ya want ta go ta bed, Pa."

Joe nodded. "I will, too."

Ben looked to his eldest son. "Why don't we all stay up for awhile? We can sleep in in the morning."

Little Joe joked to lighten the mood. "Ya hear that, Adam? Pa's lettin' us sleep in."

Hoss chuckled.

Adam grinned slightly but still looked haunted. Ben again put a hand on Adam's shoulder, feeling his son needed the comfort. Adam didn't pull away.

Ben calmly told him, "Son, the robbery must have brought the memories back somehow."

Adam muttered, "Yeah."

Hoss studied his brother. "I wonder how come, Pa? It's been almost five years, ain't it?"

Ben nodded.

Little Joe rubbed his hands over his tired eyes and thought about it. "Adam, did Moyer do anything that reminded you of Mandible?"

Adam couldn't even bear to think of Mandible and those terrible days. He mumbled, "Don't know."

"Well, the important thing is to get these memories in the past where they belong," Ben stated.

Adam snorted slightly, "How?"

Ben considered the problem as did Adam's brothers. Hop Sing came in and announced, "Coffee ready soon." Ben smiled his way in acknowledgement then again focused on Adam.

Hoss asked, "How did ya git the memories to go away the first time, Adam?"

Adam wearily tried to recall. "I don't know. They just eventually did."

Little Joe thought back to those long nights. "I remember you had them off and on for months after we found you."

Adam nodded slowly.

Hop Sing had stayed in the dining area listening. He came back into the room near the family and offered humbly, "May Hop Sing make suggestion?"

The four Cartwrights looked to him.

"Maybe try trip. Change of scene. Number One Son go far away. Come back good as new."

Such a simple idea and yet it was a valid suggestion. Ben smiled at the cook. "Hop Sing, you may have something." He glanced over at Adam and could see he was at least considering the idea.

Hoss chimed in, "By golly, Hop Sing, I think yer right! Let's git Adam away from here."

Little Joe jumped up and rubbed his hands together. "We could all go - maybe San Francisco?" He loved traveling and looked over at his oldest brother and his father hopefully.

Ben studied Adam. "What do you think, Son? Want to give it a try?"

He was too tired to even think, but he'd try anything at this point. Adam nodded and the family made plans to get away.

************

Ben stopped by the doctor's office the next morning. He removed his hat and was just about to knock when Doc Martin appeared on his way out.

"Hello, Ben. You're in town awful early."

"Paul," Ben acknowledged. "Wanted to get a few errands run before we left."

"Oh? You and the boys going somewhere?"

"Yes. We're taking Adam to San Francisco. Figure a change of scenery may do him some good."

The doctor thought about it a moment. "I think that's an excellent idea. How's he doing, by the way?"

Ben fingered the rim of his hat. "He's still having nightmares. He finally told us what they were about."

The doctor lifted his eyebrows, waiting for him to explain.

"Paul, you weren't around then, about five years ago. There was a man out of my past …" Ben grimaced as he said the name, "…David Mandible, who thought I was responsible for his father's death." Ben saw his friend frown and added quickly, "I wasn't responsible, but the man harbored a terrible grudge for years thinking it was true." Ben took his time as he recalled those horrible days.

Doc Martin waited patiently.

"Mandible tried twice to kill Adam - to get even with me."

The doctor tensed.

Ben continued. "The first time, Adam was shot in the shoulder and Mandible was arrested. He should've been put away …" Ben's face grew angry. "…but he was released on a technicality. The judge ordered him to return to Boston and to stay out of this territory."

Martin had a hunch what was coming next. "He didn't, I take it?"

"No. One day, he and his men kidnapped Adam and then led us to believe he was dead." Ben took a few steps away and turned back. "It was awful. His horse came back to the ranch with blood on it and Adam's hat was found in the river. Paul, we searched for him for weeks hoping that he was still alive somehow." He paused. "We finally faced the fact that he wasn't coming home ..." Ben's voice choked as he got out, "…and we had the funeral." He lowered his head.

The doctor approached him. "Ben?"

Ben took a deep breath and continued. "All that time, Mandible was holding Adam somewhere and brutalizing him. He almost killed him but wanted me to see what he had done to my son before Adam died."

Doc Martin shook his head at the horror the family must've gone through.

"Adam would never talk about what Mandible did to him, but I saw the marks on his face and body while he laid near death. I saw his battered, broken hand. I could tell he'd not had food or water for days on end or if he had, it hadn't been much."

The doctor was overcome just listening to the details.

Ben again continued. "Somehow, Adam survived. It was a miracle. But I know he hasn't forgotten those terrible weeks. I can see it in his eyes. I know he's tried to put it in the past, but now, for some reason, those horrible memories have come back."

"The nightmares?"

Ben nodded. He again studied his hat before asking, "Why now, Paul? Why do you think he's reliving it now?"

The doctor contemplated his friend as he speculated, "I don't know. You said it started with the robbery?"

"Apparently."

"Hmmm. Perhaps something happened during the robbery that made Adam remember his captivity?"

Ben frowned as his friend confirmed his theory. "That's gotta be it."

"I think it's a good thing that you're getting him away for awhile. Maybe he can relax and get his mind off this."

"I hope so." Ben let out another long breath. "Well, I better be going if we hope to leave today."

The doctor extended his hand. "Safe trip, Ben. And good luck with Adam."

Ben returned the handshake. "Thanks, Paul."

"You keep me informed of how he's doing."

"I will." Ben put his hat on and headed off as the doctor watched him go. A concerned look crossed Paul's face as he reflected on Ben's tale.

************

"Ben!"

Ben heard Sheriff Coffee call out his name as he walked across the street. He slowed his momentum as the sheriff caught up. "Hello, Roy."

The sheriff matched his stride and walked along as Ben reached the other side of the street.

"Ben, Adam in town?"

"No. He's at the ranch. Why?"

"Judge is due back tomorrow so we'll have the hearing then."

Ben's brow furrowed. "You won't need Adam there will you? You've got his statement."

"Now, Ben. 'Course he'll need ta be there 'case the judge has any questions." The sheriff sensed his friend's uneasiness. "Somethin' wrong?"

Ben was hesitant to go into details so simply said, "The boys and I were leaving today."

"Oh?"

"Yes. We were going to San Francisco for a few weeks."

Coffee scratched his chin. "Kind of peculiar you and boys all takin' off like that, ain't it?"

The sheriff was sharp, Ben thought wryly. "We, uh, just had some business to take care of and thought we'd all go."

Sheriff Coffee eyed him but didn't pursue his curiosity. "Well, I'm sorry, Ben, but Adam really needs ta be at the hearing. 'Specially if the judge decides on a jury trial."

That wasn't what Ben had wanted to hear, but maybe Adam could tolerate one more night at the ranch. He asked resignedly, "What time's the hearing?"

"Two o'clock tomorrow."

"All right." With little enthusiasm, Ben confirmed, "We'll all be there."

"Good. See ya then." The sheriff turned and headed up the street.

As Ben walked to his horse, he wondered how he'd break the news to his eldest son.

************

Ben returned to the ranch and explained to his family about the hearing. Adam took it all in and kept his face impassive as he listened though Ben could sense the tension his son was feeling. It was decided that the family would leave early the day after the hearing.

Looking tired and drawn, and still having little or no appetite, Adam spent the rest of the day repairing the fence line. His brothers had offered to help but Adam said he preferred to work alone and his brothers didn't press him.

Adam tried to focus on the upcoming trip as he worked, but the agony of the past continued to haunt his mind. Mandible's satanic laughter began to seep through Adam's brain, softly at first, then growing louder and more evil the more Adam tried to block it out. He tore his gloves off and threw them down as he headed over to retrieve a box of nails from his saddlebags. As Adam approached Sport, an image flashed across his mind - of his hands manacled and of being strapped facedown across a horse and forced to remain in that position for hours on end as he was led, half-conscious and half-dead, back to his family.

Adam clenched his eyes closed and slipped to a kneeling position on the ground. "Stop," he said softly. The images showed no mercy and continued. Adam repeated louder, "Stop!" Sport jerked his head up from eating some grass and looked over at him. Adam was oblivious, still deeply distracted by the terror in his mind. He settled further down to a sitting position and looked up at the sky. Pleadingly, he screamed, "Make it stop!" but the decibels of Mandible's laughter increased tenfold. Collapsing to the ground weeping, Adam cried, "Please make it stop!"

************

Adam heard the sound of hoof beats and looked around blearily. He hadn't realized it but he had fallen asleep for a short time. Rising quickly as he heard a horse whinny in the distance, Adam ran his hand over his face and then through his hair.

"Adam?"

It was Hoss's voice. Adam walked back toward the fence line and saw his middle brother dismounting. "What are you doing here, Hoss?"

One glimpse at Adam told Hoss his instincts to check on his brother had been correct. "Nuthin'. Jus' had some time left over and thought I'd give ya a hand."

Adam saw right through him but was too drained to argue. With a sigh, he mentioned, "There's some more nails in my saddlebags." He indicated Sport's location with a nod in that direction. "Get 'em, huh?"

Hoss bent down to retrieve Adam's gloves. Handing them to him with an easy smile he said, "Sure," and headed over toward the horse.

Adam shoved his hands into his gloves as he watched Hoss walk to his horse. Adam reached for the hammer he'd laid on the fencepost earlier and waited for his brother to return.

Hoss pulled the box of nails out of Adam's saddlebags, patted Sport on the side of the neck, then headed back over to join his brother. As he handed the box to Adam, Hoss commented, "Let's finish up here and git back. Hop Sing's got roast chicken tonight and I sher am hungry!"

Adam snorted slightly and noted dryly, "You were born hungry, Hoss."

Hoss grinned and told him, "And you were born slow, Brother. Let's git goin'."

Adam couldn't help but laugh and somehow felt more at peace just having Hoss there with him.

************

Hop Sing cooked all of Adam's favorites hoping to entice him to eat a decent meal. Adam made the attempt, much to Hop Sing and his family's relief. He had some of everything but begged off on the dessert and excused himself as the others ate theirs. Unbeknownst to his brothers, father, and Hop Sing, Adam's trip outside was more than a stroll after dinner. He'd managed to keep everything down until he was well out of sight of the house where the urge within him could be held off no longer. Adam retched repeatedly until his insides burned from stomach acid. After a time, he managed to walk several yards away and propped himself up against a tree while he tried to recover.

************

Adam forced himself to spend the evening with his family. He just wanted to be alone but he knew they were anxious about him so he sat in his blue chair and read while Hoss and Little Joe argued over checkers and their father worked in the study. It seemed a lifetime but at last the others said their goodnights. Adam made the pretense of wanting to finish his book and remained downstairs. He caught the looks his father and brothers exchanged on his behalf before they left but shrugged it off and immersed himself in the book until they were well out of sight.

He was so incredibly tired but was in no hurry for a return appearance of the demons that tormented his dreams. Getting up to stoke the fire, Adam's thoughts turned toward the next day's hearing. He wondered how extensive the judge's questioning would be and if he could handle it in a calm way without losing control. His fuse had been so short since the robbery. The last thing he needed was to go off on a tangent and jeopardize the case. For a man who normally prided himself on his self-control, Adam just couldn't fathom how he could let himself lose that control so easily now and so often.

He got up to turn the two lanterns in the room down, grabbed the Indian blanket off the banister, then settled on the settee, praying that a restful sleep would finally come. But it didn't. Once more Adam's weary family was there to pull him back from whatever precipice his nightmares had dragged him to. Once more he looked around to see their worried faces and Hop Sing's, too, and Adam felt a combination of embarrassment, despair, and anger. One more night of this before they'd be able to leave on their trip and Adam thought he'd go insane.

He quickly reassured his family that he was all right, though he knew by this point the words sounded feeble, and left them standing there as he went outside for a walk.

The others had grown almost as exhausted as Adam had become and they were at a loss as to what to do to help him.

"Let's go to bed," Ben finally said wearily and started back up the stairs.

Hop Sing turned back to his room, but Little Joe and Hoss waited a short time before going back up stairs.

"Think we should stay up with him?" Little Joe asked.

Hoss thought about it then shook his head. "Nah. Let's leave him be. There ain't nuthin' we can do ta help tonight."

Little Joe considered his words. "All right."

The brothers headed up to their rooms.

************

Adam spent most of the next morning chopping wood, stacking it, and shrugging off his brothers' offers to help. He just wanted to keep his mind focused on anything but the hearing and worked until he was about ready to drop. Finally, he went into the house to wash up and change then rode to town accompanied by his family. It was a dreary day with rain threatening.

************

A small crowd of spectators, along with the Cartwrights, sat and listened as the judge questioned Trent Moyer. Adam and his family were seated on the right front row opposite Sheriff Coffee and the seat Moyer occupied when he wasn't on the stand.

Judge Jackson was in the midst of questioning Moyer. "You're telling the Court that Adam Cartwright gave you the money?"

Radiating innocence, Moyer answered, "Yes, Sir, Your Honor. He wanted me to take it to Mr. Burrell when he delivered the herd."

Little Joe jumped up. "That's a lie!" Rumblings went around the courtroom as others reacted also.

The judge pounded his gavel Joe's way and ordered, "That'll be enough of that, young man!"

Ben pulled Joe down and flashed a stern look his way as Hoss glanced over at Adam. Adam's stoic look masked his anger.

The judge held up a piece of paper and directed it toward Moyer. "I have a sworn statement from Mr. Burrell stating that he found your gun on the floor of the Ponderosa and that it had been fired."

Moyer took a moment as he considered a plausible answer. Looking Adam's way, Moyer explained, "That Cartwright boy's tryin' to frame me, Judge. He was supposed to wait and give Mr. Burrell his money but he was in such an all-fire hurry to get to the Founder's Day doings that he tried to get me to deliver the money for him. Then he heard Burrell ride up and changed his mind. But he didn't want his daddy to know he had tried to get out of delivering the money so he framed me!"

"With your gun?"

"Yeah. He grabbed it from me and fired it right before Burrell got to the door."

"And you expect me to believe that, Mr. Moyer?"

"It's the God's truth, Judge. I swear!"

Ben gripped Little Joe's arm to keep him still. Adam continued to look unaffected while Hoss glared at Moyer.

With contempt obvious in his voice, the judge told Moyer, "No more questions. Return to your seat."

Moyer flashed the Cartwrights' a scowl as he headed back to his chair.

The judge looked in Adam's direction. "Adam Cartwright."

Adam rose and walked over to the witness chair. Before taking his seat, Sheriff Coffee swore him in. Adam's family could see the dark circles under his eyes and knew how exhausted he was from having gone a number of nights with little or no sleep.

Upon questioning, Adam proceeded to detail every moment of the robbery. For the most part, he avoided Moyer's glare and tried his best to concentrate as he relayed the events to the judge and those gathered in the courtroom. He glanced over at his family from time to time and they encouraged him on with their looks of support.

"So you say you were leading Moyer upstairs?" the judge asked.

"Yes. Like I told you, he was about to kill me but at the last moment I told him we had fifty thousand dollars in a safe upstairs, hoping to buy some time."

"And then what happened?"

Adam unconsciously flashed a glance Moyer's way and the man's features seemed to blur. Adam blinked, trying to bring him back into focus while answering absently, "Uh - I'm sorry. What was the question?"

His family, along with Sheriff Coffee, tensed, noting Adam's loss of concentration. Moyer's interest perked up.

"I asked you what happened next."

Adam pinched the bridge of his nose as he again tried to focus on the proceedings. From off in the distance he heard the faint sound of familiar laughter and tried to force it out of his head. "Uh - we were on the stairs heading to get the money, and ..." The sound of laughter grew a little louder and Adam's brows drew together as he tried to concentrate. He pushed back a lock of hair that had fallen across his brow as those gathered in the courtroom waited for him to go on. His family shifted in their seats sensing Adam's growing anxiety.

"Mr. Cartwright, please continue."

Moyer smirked at Adam's apparent unease.

Adam closed his eyes for a moment and drew an unsteady breath. Glancing Moyer's way again, Adam could see the man's features take on the vague outline of David Mandible. Sweat broke out on Adam's face as he looked away.

Doc Martin happened to be watching the proceedings and, remembering his conversation with Ben the day before, began to grow concerned for Adam.

Moyer called out, "He ain't got nuthin' to say, Judge! You can see he's lying!"

The judge pounded his gavel once again and ordered Moyer, "One more outburst and I'll have you removed from the courtroom!"

Moyer sat back to sulk in his chair while Sheriff Coffee kept a close eye on him.

The volume of the laughter increased in Adam's brain and he had to restrain himself from shaking. The judge noted that he was in difficulty. "Mr. Cartwright, are you ill?"

Ben wanted to go to his son but held back.

Adam mumbled something that no one could hear.

"What was that?" the judge asked.

Doc Martin stood up and boldly ventured, "Your Honor, may I approach the bench?"

The people in the courtroom turned to look at him.

Perturbed, the judge asked, "Doctor, what is your involvement in this?"

"If you'll allow me to explain?"

Patience wasn't one of the judge's virtues but he nodded curtly.

The doctor came forward, eyeing Adam. The sheriff came forward, too, as the Cartwrights waited anxiously in their seats. Adam gripped the arms of the chair as he tried to block out Mandible's incessant cackling.

Looking over at Adam, the doctor spoke in a low tone for the judge and Sheriff Coffee's ears only. "Your Honor, I believe this boy's ill. Can this questioning be concluded?"

The judge glanced over at Adam. He'd known the Cartwrights for years and was well aware Adam didn't appear fit. The judge said in a low tone to Adam, "Adam, can you continue with the questioning?"

Moyer called from his seat, "Hey, what are you all talking about? I deserve to know!"

"Keep your mouth shut, Moyer. This is your last warning," advised the judge.

Moyer huffed and sat with arms folded while grousing to himself.

Ben and his younger sons strained to hear what was being said up at the bench while growing increasingly concerned for Adam.

The spectators mumbled to each other, becoming restless, and the judge pounded his gavel for order. An image raced through Adam's mind - of Mandible pounding a gavel in the middle of a crowded courtroom and pronouncing Adam's verdict and sentence, "Guilty as charged! I sentence you to death!" Adam clenched his eyes closed and his breath caught.

The doctor reached over to clasp his arm to see if he was all right but, startled, Adam jerked his arm away.

Ben called, "Adam!" as Adam's brothers had to hold themselves back from going to him.

Adam struggled back to the present upon hearing his father's voice. He looked up to see the doctor and judge watching him.

"I - uh - I'm sorry. I forgot the question. Could you repeat it?"

The judge prompted calmly, "You were on the stairs with Moyer."

Adam's brow beaded with sweat as he forced himself to focus. "Uh - yeah. We struggled with the gun - and it went off …"

"Yes?"

All eyes stared at Adam, magnifying his discomfort. Mandible's laughter sliced through Adam's brain like a knife. Wincing, Adam managed, "Mr. Burrell and Sam showed up and …" The torment became unbearable. Adam clenched his eyes closed and lowered his head.

The doctor, judge, and sheriff exchanged looks.

"No further questions, Adam," Judge Jackson told him. "You're dismissed."

Confused, it took a moment before Adam got up and headed back to his seat. The doctor and sheriff returned to their seats also.

"I told you he was lying, Judge!" Moyer called out as Sheriff Coffee tried to restrain him. "He don't even know where he is. I bet he's drunk! I bet he was drunk that day, too!"

The spectators jeered at Moyer and called out in Adam's defense as Little Joe shouted, "He is not!" and Hoss attempted to hold his youngest brother down. The judge pounded his gavel furiously and hollered, "Remove Moyer from the courtroom, Sheriff!"

The sheriff grabbed Moyer's arm and slapped handcuffs on him as Moyer protested loudly, "This ain't fair!"

Dazed a bit, Adam was encouraged to sit down by his father's gentle prodding. "It's over, Son."

The judge pounded the gavel until order was restored and as the sheriff dragged Moyer from the room. Judge Jackson looked around the room. "Are there any more witnesses?"

The courtroom was silent.

Time had come for a verdict. The judge considered the case before him. He glanced over at the Cartwrights, then down at the statements of the other witnesses, Mike Burrell and Sam Johnson, then again over at the Cartwrights. Finally, he announced, "With the evidence presented in this courtroom today, I find the defendant guilty of attempted robbery."

The Cartwrights listened, pleased with the judge's decision.

The judge continued. "On the charge of attempted murder …" He specifically avoided looking the Cartwrights' way as he said, "…although there is good reason to believe Mr. Moyer intended to kill Adam Cartwright, I have no substantial evidence other than Adam's testimony which, for whatever reason, was inconclusive."

Adam listened, numbed by the words.

Continuing, the judge proclaimed, "Therefore, I have no recourse but to find the defendant not guilty of attempted murder."

The courtroom erupted in shouting as the judge gaveled for order. Ben grasped Adam's arm as his son sat there silently. Hoss once again attempted to corral his youngest brother who angrily protested the judge's verdict.

As the room at last quieted upon the judge's repeated calls for order and his repeated pounding of the gavel, Judge Jackson finished with, "I sentence the defendant, Trent Moyer, to ten years at hard labor for attempted robbery!" With that, he pounded his gavel one last time and rose. The rest of the courtroom began to rise, too, and talk animatedly amongst themselves. The doctor cast a troubled glance in Adam's direction then made his way out.

The Cartwrights remained seated. Ben continued to grasp Adam's arm in support. Joe got up and paced the front of the room. "How could he do that! He knows Moyer tried to kill Adam!"

Hoss got up also and tried to appease Joe. "He couldn't help it, I reckon."

Ben kept a close eye on his oldest son. Adam had his hat in his hand and toyed with the brim.

Putting his hand on Adam's back, Ben said, "Let's go home, Son," and rose.

Adam's brothers came over to him. "Yeah," Hoss put in. "It's all over, Adam. Let's go home."

Adam looked up at his large, gentle brother and over at Joe, who remained furious with the judge. Their father gave Adam an encouraging smile. Putting his hat on, Adam remarked, "It's all over," and snorted slightly as he got up. He mumbled to himself, "All over." He headed out as his family exchanged a look and followed him.

************

The skies had broken loose and rain poured down on the Cartwrights as they headed to their horses. Undoing their ponchos from their saddles, they threw them on with the exception of Adam. He immediately mounted up and rode off, followed shortly thereafter by his father and brothers.

Sport galloped along on a steady pace through the mud, faltering slightly at times through some of the puddles. Adam had nothing to say to the others and they didn't try to initiate conversation. It was a long, dreary ride home as the rain came down in torrents.

Once home, the family dismounted and led their horses into the barn. Ben and his youngest sons led their horses into their respective stalls but Adam left Sport tied to a post. Hoss saw that and offered, "I'll take care of him, Adam."

Adam had already started out of the barn but turned back to say, "No. Leave him. I'm going out again," and left the barn.

Ben caught the looks his other sons flashed Adam's way and followed after his eldest son without a word to Hoss or Joe. Hoss shook his head and Little Joe resumed his task of bedding Paint down.

Ben came inside the house and Hop Sing was there to take his sopping wet poncho and hat. Ben saw Adam disappearing up the stairs and followed after him without a word to his confused cook.

Adam had left his door open and, not waiting for an invitation, Ben came into the room. "Adam?"

Adam was throwing some things together on his bed and didn't respond to his father.

"Adam, where are you going?"

Adam went to the dresser to grab a shirt and pair of slacks and tossed them next to his bedroll.

Ben halted him with a firm grip on his arm. "Adam, I asked you a question."

Soaking wet, Adam responded, "I'm going away for a few days, Pa."

Ben released his grip and said calmly, "We're leaving in the morning."

Adam bunched the items he'd gathered together on the bed and began rolling them up in his bedroll. "No. I'm going by myself."

"Son …"

"I need some time alone, Pa."

"Adam, please go with us?"

Adam shook his head. "I'll be at the line shack. I just want to be alone." He completed his packing and turned to leave. Ben once again stopped him, this time with a gentler grip on his shoulder. "At least let Hop Sing fix you some food to take, Son. You haven't eaten much in days."

"You just don't understand, Pa." He eased out of his father's grasp and left the room.

************

Adam's family watched him ride out into the deluge. Night was falling but Adam appeared oblivious. After he had finished strapping his bedroll to his saddle and grabbed some oats for Sport, he slipped into his poncho at his father's stern insistence, and had taken off.

"Why did 'ja let him go, Pa?" Hoss asked, bewildered.

Little Joe appeared confused also.

Ben calmly told them, "We couldn't stop him. But that doesn't mean he's going alone."

Both sons looked questioningly at him.

Ben smiled reassuringly. "I'd like you boys to keep an eye on things for a few days. I'm going after him in the morning."

Appeased, Little Joe and Hoss nodded.

Hoss asked, "Pa, ya think you can help him?"

Ben thought about it for a few moments. "Somehow, some way, we'll help him." He pulled his sons to him. "I promise."

************

Adam at last reached the line shack. He'd directed Sport there more by memory and instinct, as the rain and darkness of night had made visibility almost impossible. After settling his horse, Adam grabbed his things and headed inside. He fumbled around in the dark to where there should've been a supply of matches and finally located them. Striking one, he lit both lanterns. Fortunately, the last person who had used the line shack had left firewood because there would be no dry wood to be found outside on this night.

Adam started a fire in the hearth then got up to glance around. A cot in the corner with a blanket and pillow, a few meager utensils to cook with, a small table with two chairs - that was about it. Adam checked the cupboard by the table and noted there was no food to be had. No matter. He wasn't in the mood to cook or eat anyway.

Chilled to the bone, Adam at least had enough sense to get out of his wet clothes. Unpacking, he retrieved his shirt and slacks and slipped them on while placing his wet clothes near the fireplace. "I should've brought some books," he muttered.

Deciding to conserve the fuel in the lanterns since there was enough light cast off by the fire, Adam turned both lanterns completely down and stretched out on the cot. He was exhausted. The rain pounded on the roof and windows but the steady rhythm was enough to soothe Adam to sleep.

************

Ben opened the door of the line shack early the next morning and found his son at the table, exhausted as ever and shivering slightly. Ben closed the door and came over to him. "Adam?"

Adam was lost in his own world of despair and jerked as his father's hand touched his shoulder.

Ben pulled back. "I'm sorry, Son. I didn't mean to startle you."

Dark circles had become even more prominent under Adam's eyes. His voice was gravelly as he asked, "What are you doing here?"

Noting the chill in the air and Adam's shivering, Ben glanced over at the dead fire. "I'll get a fire started." He set himself to the task as Adam rested his head in his right hand.

Once the fire was going well, Ben came back over to his son and asked gently, "Another rough night?"

Adam merely nodded.

Ben scrutinized him for a few moments then looked around. The other chair was flipped over on the floor near the far wall. Some of Adam's things as well as the cot and blanket were scattered around the shack in disarray. And Adam himself appeared just as disheveled with his hair unkempt and falling across his face.

As Ben righted the chair, he remarked, "I brought some food. I'll make us some breakfast."

He didn't wait for a response and none was forthcoming.

************

Adam sipped at the coffee but his breakfast remained untouched. His father was tempted to try and cajole him into eating but let it go for the time being. Ben finished his breakfast while his son stared pensively at his cup.

Thunder sounded far off in the distance. Adam looked in that direction and Ben remarked, "Another storm coming."

"Yeah."

The rain had finally ceased overnight but now obviously threatened again.

Ben sipped at his own coffee then set his cup aside and looked at his son. "Hope you don't mind some company. I thought I'd get away for a few days, too."

Adam retorted, "I don't need a sitter, Pa."

Ben got up to put the dishes on the counter to scrape them off. "I know that. Just wanted to spend some time with my son."

Adam got up also and walked over to the fireplace. Tossing another log on, he avoided looking at his father as he said, "There's nothing you can do."

Ben set the last plate aside and went over to him as another, louder clap of thunder sounded in the distance. Slightly startled, Adam recovered quickly but not before his father had noticed.

"Storm's getting closer," Ben remarked.

Adam mumbled, "Yeah," and turned to leave. "Better take care of the horses."

Ben watched as Adam left, and a frown crossed Ben's face as he wondered how he could reach his son.

************

Adam came back just as the skies broke loose. Lightning flashed and thunder boomed as rain pelted the little shack and surrounding land. Coming inside, Adam saw his father finishing up the dishes. Taking a few steps away from the door, the past several days of not eating finally caught up with Adam and he stumbled as he grew lightheaded. Ben rushed and caught him before he fell. Adam muttered, "I'm all right," but he clearly wasn't.

Ben helped his son over to the cot. Lightning blazed outside and thunder cracked, once more startling Adam. Seeing his father's concerned look, he tossed it off with a casual, "Nerves are a little on edge."

"I understand." Ben chewed his lip as he studied Adam. "Adam, you've gotta eat something. You're making yourself sick."

His son turned away. "I can't."

"Why can't you?"

Adam mumbled something unintelligible.

Ben leaned a little closer. "What?"

Adam turned back to his father. "I just can't!" He got up and moved away from the cot. Lightning again flashed, this time brighter, and thunder boomed two seconds later. Adam's breath caught for an instant but then he sighed and moved closer to the fireplace.

Ben followed him over and prodded Adam to face him. "Son, you can't keep this bottled up inside. Whatever it is, don't you see how it's affecting you?"

Adam's hands raked his hair. "I can't talk about it."

"Is it Mandible?"

Adam nodded solemnly.

Rain pelted the windows and roof.

"Adam, come over to the table." Ben waited for his son to comply but when he didn't, Ben added, "Please?"

Hesitant, Adam came over and took a chair. Ben pulled his chair closer to Adam and sat down. Resting his arms on the table, Ben asked gently, "Please tell me what Mandible did to you, Son."

A look of pain crossed Adam's face and he didn't say anything. Another crack of thunder split the air but it was farther away this time.

Ben laid his hand on Adam's arm and looked directly at him. "I want you to tell me."

"No."

"Why not?"

Adam again looked away. "I can't tell anyone."

"Why can't you?"

Once more, Adam grew silent.

"Are you afraid of what I'll think?"

After a moment, Adam shook his head.

Ben tried to imagine what other reason there could be. 'Of course. That had to be it!'

"Are you afraid it'll hurt me knowing everything that happened?"

Adam turned back to him.

Ben could tell by the anguish in his son's eyes he had guessed right. Gripping Adam's arm, he told him, "Oh, Son, don't worry about that. I want to know. I don't want you to keep this inside any longer."

Adam's eyes grew moist but he desperately tried to keep his emotions in check. He took an unsteady breath. Thunder rumbled off in the distance and the rain had begun easing up slightly.

"How did he get you?"

Adam's thoughts grew far away as he recalled the carriage. After a time, he said quietly, "There was a carriage stuck by the side of the road with its wheel off. I went to help. Mandible was waiting inside the carriage with a gun." Adam once again pictured the gun cocked and aimed his way and now realized that was the image that had flashed in his head right before Moyer tried to kill him.

Ben's brow tensed as his son began his tale.

"His men were waiting in the bushes." Adam closed his eyes as he relayed, "They beat me until I passed out."

Ben had maintained contact on Adam's arm and once more gripped it.

Adam went on. "I woke up …," he shrugged, "…the next day. Or maybe two or three days later. I have no idea."

"Where were you?"

"I don't know. It was so dark. And cold. It was hours before the door opened and I could see that I was in a small room. There was nothing there - no furniture, no blanket, no windows. Nothing."

Ben listened carefully to each soft-spoken word. Resolved to remain strong for his son though dreading the details, he dared ask, "What happened then?"

"Two men appeared. They both had guns. They may have been the ones who beat me but I couldn't say. One of them came in and put a tin cup and tin plate on the floor." Adam's eyes clenched closed as a terrifying image seized his mind.

Again tightening his grip on Adam's arm, Ben asked, "What is it?"

Adam whispered while grimacing, "The food."

"Tell me," his father encouraged gently.

Adam shoved his chair out and strode over to the fire. "I can't!"

Ben came over to him. "Please?"

"Noooo!" He sank to the floor in front of the fireplace and gripped at his hair.

Ben followed him down and put a strong arm around his shoulders. "Adam, tell me about it."

Shivering and shaking his head, Adam felt his father's strength as the arm tightened around his shoulders.

"Tell me," Ben repeated softly.

Speaking haltingly, Adam at last told him, "The water was always foul, putrid, horrible …"

"Go on."

"…And the food was always…" The words could barely be spoken. "…rodent remains." He winced. "Rat meat."

Adam turned away and retched but it was just dry heaves as he hadn't eaten for awhile. His father held him tightly and cursed the depths of Mandible's depravity. "Easy, Son."

Adam groaned. Ben held his son, comforting him with soothing words and embracing him tightly.

The combination of exhaustion, hunger, and despair overwhelmed Adam and he broke down. The deep wracking sobs told his father the agony his son had kept pent up inside for years. Ben whispered, "It's all right, Adam." His son's sobs continued. Ben held him, rocking gently back and forth. "I've got you. You're all right now, Son." Tears streamed down Adam's face. Ben smoothed his hair back and repeated, "You're gonna be all right."

It took a while but Adam's breathing eventually began to ease and his desperation finally quieted. Studying the mass of black hair now covering Adam's brow, Ben realized his son had succumbed to sleep. He continued to rock a bit longer and continued to hold his cherished boy.

They remained like that in front of the fireplace for about an hour. At last, Ben eased Adam down so he could get a better grip on him to lift him over to the cot. Carrying his son gently so as not to wake him, Ben set Adam on the cot and covered him with the blanket. Watching Adam finally be able to sleep, Ben once again silently cursed Mandible for all the torture he had subjected his son to.

************

Adam slept for hours. Ben sat at the table a good bit of the time keeping an eye on his son, ready to go to him should the nightmares return but, for the first time in almost a week, Adam slept straight through. Ben thought to himself that perhaps finally confiding in someone was helping Adam, and he thanked the good Lord for showing him the wisdom to get his son to open up.

The smell of coffee woke Adam. Blinking and trying to remember where he was, Adam looked around and saw his father bent over the fire. Sitting up, Adam said, "Pa?"

Ben turned and smiled. "You had a good rest, Son."

Adam realized he did feel rested for the first time in days. He threw the blanket off and got up to join his father. "How'd I get over to the cot?"

Ben grinned. "I carried you."

Adam snorted slightly. "Good thing I wasn't Hoss."

Ben chuckled. "I agree."

Adam shoved his hair back out of his face and took a seat by the table. Ben grabbed a cup. "Want some coffee?"

Adam nodded and Ben poured him some. As he took it, Adam asked, "What time is it?"

Ben didn't have his pocket watch with him. "Oh, 'bout 9 or 10 o'clock maybe."

Adam saw that the lanterns were lit and it was dark outside so that meant p.m. "What've you been doing all day?"

Ben took a seat and smiled. "Oh, I straightened up a little …"

Adam noted the place did look a whole lot neater than how he'd left it.

"…and watched my son sleep - at last."

Adam caught his meaning. He hadn't had the nightmares. Sipping at his coffee, Adam felt a sense of relief, though he wondered how long it would last.

"It stopped raining hours ago, Adam. Why don't we go outside for a while and get some air?"

Adam shrugged. "All right."

They grabbed their coffee and headed outside. Crickets chirped in the background and the horses whinnied softly now and then. The air was clean and the stars shown brightly across the night sky.

There were no chairs outside so father and son each found a post to lean against as they looked out across the moon-swept land.

Adam sipped at his coffee as Ben looked over at him. "Adam, can you tell me more about what happened?"

Adam frowned at his cup and lowered it. "Haven't you heard enough, Pa?"

"I know there's much more. And I think it's helping you to talk about it."

Adam again frowned as his gaze drifted back across the meadow.

"Please?"

Adam remained quiet for a few long moments as his father waited patiently. Finally, Adam let out a breath and revealed, "I tried to escape once. They beat me till I could barely breathe and started coughing up blood." He said it so matter-of-factly he could've been discussing the weather. "After that, they made sure there was a rifle cocked and aimed at me whenever anyone came into my cell."

Ben gripped his cup tighter.

"Mandible came by every day. Oh, how I hated that man." Adam closed his eyes to block out Mandible's image.

"Why did he come by?" Ben felt he already knew the answer but didn't want Adam to hold anything back.

"He came by to taunt me and to tell me what was happening at home. He told me about sending Beauty home dripping in blood."

Ben shifted on his feet and remembered the sight. One of Mandible's men had shot an animal and dripped the blood on Adam's horse so his family would believe Adam had been hurt.

"He told me they planted my hat in the river so you'd find it and believe I had died."

Ben told him, "Daniel found it in the river."

Adam nodded. Big Dan had told him that about a month after Adam had been rescued. Adam continued. "And Mandible told me about the funeral …" His voice choked, "…and how Little Joe wouldn't give up my hat." Adam bowed his head.

Ben came over to him. "It's all right, Son." In the darkness, Ben couldn't see the glistening in Adam's eyes.

"I ran to Mandible. I wanted to choke the life out of him! The guards pulled me off and beat me with their guns."

Ben looked off, tensing his jaw as he tried to fight off the intense hatred he felt for those men.

"I didn't wake up until the following morning. At least I think it was the following morning. It could've been a couple of days."

Ben remembered Adam's broken hand. "What happened to your hand?"

Adam would never forget that moment of impact. He winced as he revealed quietly, "I was out of my head a lot of the time. The food and water were making me sick. At one point, I could hear Mandible laughing and laughing at me and saw his face bigger than life in my cell. I swung out at him as hard as I could. Next thing I knew, my hand felt like it was on fire and I realized I had broken it smashing it into the wall."

Ben placed his hand on Adam's shoulder. "Oh, Son."

Adam again looked off into the distance. "You know the worst was the waiting. I knew he was going to kill me but I could only speculate how. I knew you had stopped looking for me after the funeral …"

Ben's heart filled with remorse as he uttered, "I'm so sorry, Adam. I just didn't …"

Adam said quickly, "I know, Pa. You had no way of knowing I was still alive. I don't blame you."

Angry at himself for having given up so easily, Ben lowered his head and shook it.

This time it was Adam who offered comfort. "I understood, Pa. It wasn't your fault."

Ben glanced over at him and forced a smile.

Adam went on. "I kept having these crazy dreams. And I was living them. Mandible was in all of them." He cringed as he recalled, "His laughter was the worst. I kept hearing it over and over and over again and it kept growing louder and louder until I thought I'd go insane!"

"You were delirious."

"Yes. More times than not. I was so sick. And the cell …" He couldn't finish the thought but remembered how the cell wreaked from his daily spells of vomiting. But he refused to burden his father with that.

"Do you want to stop for awhile?"

Adam considered the question. "There isn't that much more to tell. I remember Mandible coming into the cell one day and telling me I was going home. I remember the guards dragging me down to a river and almost drowning me." He snorted slightly. "I guess I was unfit to be around by that point and Mandible wanted me washed off. They kept forcing me under until my lungs were about to explode."

Ben's insides twisted as his son revealed more of the horrors he'd been subjected to.

"Next thing I knew I was strapped down to a horse. I don't remember much after that. Except hurting everywhere as the horse was led off." Adam let out a deep sigh, spent.

Ben realized his son was finished and stepped over to pull him into a desperate embrace. No words were needed. The two stayed that way for several long moments. At last, Adam eased out of his father's grip.

Ben looked at him and said, "Thank you, Son."

"For what?"

Ben said softly, "For trusting me."

Adam smiled slightly and whispered, "Thank you, Pa."

Ben dared to ask, "Would you do one more thing for me?"

A bit wary, Adam asked, "What?"

Ben considered his son before finally responding, "Would you try to eat something now?"

Immediately, Adam's gut twisted. He stared at his father as if he hadn't understood any of what Adam had just revealed.

Even in the darkness of night Ben could sense his son's anxiety. "I know what you're thinking. But I want you to try. Please, Son?"

Adam wasn't sure he could even bear the sight of food, but at last he nodded and said, "I'll try."

Ben put his arm around Adam's shoulders and the two headed inside.

************

Beans, a slice of ham, and some bread stared up at Adam.

After preparing the food, Ben had murmured an excuse of going out to check on the horses but Adam immediately saw through that since it was too late at night to be bothering with the animals. He knew his father had wanted him to have a few moments alone to see if he could face the meal. Tentatively, Adam broke a piece of bread off. Contemplating it for a few moments, he took a chance and put it in his mouth. Eventually chewing and swallowing it, Adam waited to see if his stomach rebelled. Amazingly it didn't. He drank some coffee. Trying more bread, Adam had the same success. The food actually tasted good. He decided he'd attempt the rest of the meal. Cutting the ham up, he took a piece on his fork and held the fork for a moment before finally putting it to his lips and cautiously biting into the ham. After hesitantly chewing and then swallowing that, Adam realized this part of the meal had proved successful, too, and at last dove into the beans. He drank some more coffee as he alternated between the beans, ham, and bread. His father came in just as he was finishing up. A pleased look crossed Ben's face but he didn't say anything.

Adam spoke up. "You're missing a good meal, Pa." He smiled as his father came over to him.

Ben put his hand on Adam's back for a moment then poured himself some coffee. "Someone must be a good cook."

They both knew Ben was legendary for being a terrible cook.

Adam grinned. "Must be."

Ben chuckled. It did his heart a world of good to see his son at last turn the corner, hopefully on the road to recovery. Maybe now Adam could take his life back and start living again. Maybe now Mandible was finally gone.

************

They turned in shortly after Adam's first successful meal in a good while. Adam insisted his father have the cot and Adam slept in front of the fireplace with his head pillowed against the underside of his saddle. He had another restful sleep, much to both men's relief.

Late the next morning, the sky was a brilliant blue as the two men prepared to leave the line shack.

"You sure you're ready to go home?" Ben asked as they mounted up. "We don't have to rush back."

"Yeah. There's nothing to read here anyway," Adam joked.

Ben chuckled then grew serious for a moment as he took the reins. "Adam, anytime you need to talk …"

Adam smiled over at him. "I know, Pa." He lifted his reins as he added, "Thanks."

Ben smiled back at his son, and they turned their horses for home.

************

Walking toward the house, Hoss stopped at the sound of horses' hoof beats coming into the yard. "They're here!" he called loudly. Little Joe came hurrying out of the house, followed by Hop Sing, as Ben and Adam reined in their horses next to the corral.

The two youngest Cartwrights eyed their eldest brother and their father and noted each wore a slight grin.

As Ben and Adam dismounted, Ben said, "Well, Hop Sing. You got anything for two hungry men?"

Hoss and Little Joe exchanged looks then glanced their brother's way. Adam smiled as Hop Sing bowed slightly and said with joy, "You come inside. Hop Sing make much food. Very good!"

Hop Sing hurried into the house. Adam grabbed his bedroll as his father did likewise and they started toward the house. Little Joe and Hoss followed along with questioning looks exchanged toward their older brother. Adam noticed and asked innocently, "Something wrong?"

His brothers were hesitant to answer. Ben smiled.

Hoss eyed Adam. "Ya all right?"

"Yeah."

Little Joe scrutinized Adam. "You sure?"

"Yes." Adam flashed a serious look over at his father as he revealed, "Pa cured me."

Skeptical, Little Joe asked, "How?"

"Yeah, how'd he do that?" Hoss wondered, also a bit skeptical.

"Well," Adam told them solemnly. "He said I either start sleeping through the night and quit waking everybody up with my nightmares, or …"

Both younger brothers chorused, "Or?"

"Or he'd write a friend of his in Boston."

His brothers waited for him to go on. Finally Hoss asked, "Who?"

Adam replied with a straight face, "Mandible's twin brother." He flashed a wink his father's way and Ben grinned.

At first the younger brothers were appalled that Adam would even mention the name, but they caught the amused looks on the faces of their brother and father and realized they were being put on.

Smiles soon appeared as Joe and Hoss laughed, clapped their brother on the back, and followed Adam and Pa the rest of the way to the house.

Little Joe teased as they reached the door, "Guess this means the trip to San Francisco is off?"

Ben stepped inside with his sons close on his heels. He took Adam's bedroll from him and commented as he headed to the staircase, "You weren't going anyway."

"What?"

Adam and Hoss chuckled as Ben headed up the stairs without answering his youngest son.

Little Joe asked louder, "What?"

His father disappeared as he reached the top landing, and Joe's brothers swapped grins at their brother's bafflement.

Adam said to Hoss, "Let's get something to eat."

Hoss's eyes lit up. "Yeah, I'm hungry!" They headed toward the kitchen.

Meanwhile, Joe stood in the center of the main room all alone and once more demanded, "What?!"

 

THE END.

 

(Note to my readers: For those not familiar with my other Mandible stories, you can find the series of three stories over on this Tales of the Ponderosa Angelfire site. It's best to read them in this order - Demons of the Past, A Hero's Burden, and A Time To Weep.)